BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Matt Gilmartin's Group- FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2009-12-22 5:59 PM

User image

Master
Straight outta Compton
Subject: Matt Gilmartin's Group- FULL
NAME: mcgilmartin/ matt

STORY:37 y/o male living in Castle Rock,CO. Been doing multisport for 4 years now. Completed my first HIM this year. As for background, I have been a swimmer my whole life. Picked up cycling in 2000, and running in 2005. I tri because I love the challenge, the people, the training, and the opportunity to improve myself. I am also addicted to this site LOL. I've completed about 15 tri's in my life thus far.

FAMILY STATUS: Divorced. 2 kids- ages 4.5 and 18 months.

CURRENT TRAINING: Registered for Ironman KS, mostly 70.3's this year with some Olys and Sprints thrown in for fun. Getting over a stress fracture so running has been perilous.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: Did 6 sprints, 2 olys, and REDMAN HIM this past year.

2009 RACES: (2010)- IMKS, Harvest Moon, Rattlesnake, REDMAN full aquabike, and possibly IM Longhorn. Maybe some sprints, too.

WEIGHTLOSS: Need to drop the 15 lbs I put on after the injury. I'm 6'5, 250 right now. I'd ideally like to get down to 225.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOR: I'm pretty passionate about this sport. I've learned quite a bit about the sport through this site, and I'd like to encourage people to pursue their goals. I won't necessarily have all the answers, but I bet I can find them. Overall, I just think triathlon is a great sport- for your body and your mind. I'd like to encourage more people to get into it!

Edited by mcgilmartin 2010-02-09 12:32 PM

2009-12-23 7:47 PM
in reply to: #2574223

Subject: RE: Matt Gilmartin's Group- OPEN
Matt,

If you don't mind, I'd love to be in your group. 

My name is Mike.  I'm happily married with a 7yr. old daughter.  I just completed my first Sprint Tri this past summer.  My initial goal was to finish.  I accomplished that and would now like to build on that and set higher goals for myself.  I have a couple of local Sprint and Oly Tri's in mind for 2010, but haven't officially registered as of yet.  The feeling of crossing the finish line with family and friends there to support me and cheer me on was an absolute awesome feeling.  I'm defnitely hooked!

I would also like to shed about 25-30 lbs along the way  Currently 6'1, 235.  My best (and favorite) event is the bike.  I'm an ok swimmer but my runs are awful.  I took swim lessons last year to refine my stroke which helped tremendously.  Currently I'm not involved with any particular training plan but still find time to workout 3-4x's a week.  I've been hitting the pool in the am before work, get in an occasional run and use weights for resistance training.  As I mentioned before, shedding some pounds is my first goal, but improving on my times and maintaining a consistant workout schedule are also goals of mine.

I look forward to a healthy and injury free 2010! Laughing
2009-12-24 2:27 PM

Matt - I'd like to be in your group as well.

NAME- My name is Mike, but I see there is already a Mike in the group, so you can call me Mike J.

STORY- I’m 20 years old and completely new to triathlon. Originally from Westminster, CO. I now live in Greeley where I am a junior finance/economics double major at UNC. Of the three sports, I only have a background in swimming. I swam in high school pretty successfully and qualified at the state level in several events, but my strength was in sprinting. In my heyday I could swim a 22 second 50 yd. race. But because of that I’m not exactly an endurance athlete and have absolutely no experience in either of the other two sports. Also, the last three years I have been almost completely on hiatus from exercise and think that triathlon would be the perfect solution for me to get back in shape and lose the weight I’ve gained in the past couple of years. Last September I volunteered at the Wild on Windsor Triathlon and got inspired to compete in one myself, but because of the season and my schedule I put off training. But now I’ve decided I want to commit to getting it done.

2010 GOALS – For right now, my goal is the Boulder Peak Triathlon which is an Olympic distance race on July 11th. I think given my current level of fitness and hectic schedule, it is a reasonable goal.

CURRENT TRAINING – I decided to use one of the plans that this site provides, the 20 week 2x balanced Olympic plan stretched out to 27 weeks to match up with the race date. I’d like to begin starting the first week of January. For the past couple of weeks I’ve been running and biking to prepare for that regiment and I can run 6-7 miles a week and bike about 30 miles a week. I also just started using the BT training log last week.

WEIGHT LOSS – I’d like to lose the 15 lbs I’ve gained over the course of this training.

I’m hoping triathlon is something I can incorporate into the rest of my life and think I just need someone to help me stick to my goals. Definitely looking forward to this.

2009-12-26 12:42 AM

STORY: I am 29 years old, and currently live in Alaska. The winter months make it very difficult to keep up regular outdoor running routines, and make riding a bike nearly impossible.I participated in many cross country and track and field events in high school, but as of late have not been competitive. I have been riding bikes since I was a small child but have never raced outside the realm of BMX. My weakest link would be swimming. I have never swam more than thirty minutes continuously at one time. I will be moving to the D.C. area in six months and have a strong desire to train and enter events that test my physical limits and capabilities. The ultimate goal is to qualify and complete the Kona Ironman sometime before my body stops working. CURRENT TRAINING: Aerobic exercises, and minor running. WEIGHTLOSS: I am 6'2, and weigh 190 lbs. As far as weight loss, I am not sure if I need to gain or lose. I struggle to maintain a healthy diet, because I love to eat (pizza, burgers, nachos, and chips) things that are not the best for my body.

Edited by Djjindra 2011-06-13 3:03 PM
2009-12-26 2:58 AM

I'd like to join your group is you still have an opening.  I am working toward my first sprint tri in February.  I bike.  I am learning to swim.  I hate to run, but I am working on it.   
2009-12-26 4:14 PM

User image

New user

Hi MattI am hoping to join your groupI am 43 years old and live in the UK, married 4 kids.I took up cycling after an episode of myocarditis in 2004I gradually built up the distances I rode until riding several >160km sportif type rides in the UK each year & last summer I rode the the etape de tour in France.I am 6'2 and weigh 240 lbs I want to drop my weight down to about 200 lbs as I will never really enjoy the hills until I a bit less fat!I am becoming a little bit bored with just training for cycling and began to think that mixing my training up will be good for the riding and add a little more motivation to the sessions. I have always wanted to do a tri and so have entered the Liverpool Tri on the 27th June, I am a little scared and came across the site whilst surfing for a few tips for a newbie.I am not sure if this will be the only tri i do or the first. Anyway I hope there is a space.RegardsIlan

2009-12-26 4:56 PM

hello this is Maura
I live in Rome italy now and I am new to tri
I ran for many years I am  36. did many 20k races and 20 k
I train quite a bit already 2 hours spinning class and run 10 k
I need a lot of help with swimming.............thanks
I would love to join the group
2009-12-26 7:09 PM

New user

Hi Matt,

My name is Bill Harry and I am from NW Pennsylvania.  I turn 50 on December 29th.  I am married to a wonderful woman and have two great young adult children.  My Son, Nathan (19) and a daughter, Miss Emily (16).  I am excited about finding this site and would like to be part of your mentor team.  To give you some background here it is.  
I will be 50 this year.  I use to run and swim alot while serving in the United States Navy.  I did a lot of swimming and biking while in College.  I use to play Lacrosse and Rugby while in the Navy and living in London, UK.  I am eager to train as for the last 9 years I have had two bouts of Cancer, 4 years of chemotherapy.  I am cancer free and want to loss the weight and get back into shape.  I am 5 10, 252 lbs. and as you may suspect with the last name "Harry"  I am very.  Joke on college was, "where's Bill Harry at? "  response: "every place but his head".  I am a bit of a jokester and love life.  I recently finished teaching at a christian school teaching, History, Government, and Bible.  I am presently working to start my own business, providing textbooks on mobile storage drives (secure).  I hope that I'll get to work with you.  Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.  My first anticipated tri will be www.thedamtri.com" scheduled for June 27, 2010.  Cheers! 
2009-12-26 9:02 PM

Name: Robert Streitfield

Story:  59 y/o  male living in Fort Belvoir, VA with my soldier wife.  I am retired Navy and used to score outstandings on my PFTs.  At the age of 27, had knee operation and decided to run a marathon in the next year.  Did so, under four hours.  Ran Ocean State, twice, then moved to DC and ran Marine Corps.  Then life got in the way.

Family status: married, Lynn, two daughters on their own, and one 18 year old Freshman at UMASS.

Training:  just started. Going to two to three aerobics class a week and work out on my own on off days.  Not a great swimmer, but am always improving.

Health:  Just had left knee replaced.  Cardiac patient.  HP- controlled.  Non-Hodgekins Lymphoma- partial remission.  Other than that...

Weight loss:  need to lose 40 pounds- I'm 5'9" 225.

26 Dec 09, 10 PM

2009-12-26 10:08 PM

User image

Veteran
Lakewood Ranch, Florida
Would love to join this group !!

I am 43 yrs old feel 60.. lol   I am about 6'2" 250lbs , was down to 235 during Tri season last summer and would love to get to 210 if possible. I have 2 kids, Brandon 16, Jenna 4. I am a NYC Firefighter and work full time on my days off so i basically work 7 days a week. I am a bit lazy by nature and am hoping that a mentor group will help me out. In 2009 i did 3 Triathlons all sprints, plan on doing all sprints this year as well. in 2011 i plan on doing the Fire- Police world games and that will be an oly distance, i have no experience in any sport when i was younger. I love the sport but my running is Terrible !!!  some day i will get to where i want to be with all your help.. Thanks
Steve
2009-12-27 8:04 AM

User image

Matt,

I would like to join your group also.  I am a 40 yr old 6"2 205 lb 2nd year triathlon addict.  I am married with 3 children (6yr, 4 yr, and 2 yrs) which makes training a challenge.  I have done 4 triathlons so far and have no history in any of the endurance sports although I did play football, basketball, and ran track (hi-hurdles) through High School.  

2010 Plan:  Kansas City Triathlon (OLY), KS 70.3, Branson 70.3 maybe, and late year marathon.

Weightloss:  I started last Dec at 230 lbs, currently am 205 bs, but would like to drop 15 more lbs to get to 190 lbs if possible.

Andy 

2009-12-27 9:49 AM

User image

Master
Straight outta Compton
Subject: RE: Matt Gilmartin's Group- NOW FULL!
Awesome, everyone! I can't believe the response I got here! This is really wonderful. I think we're going to have a great season together. I'll try and PM everyone this week, I'm in Chicago on vacation (yeah, I know- there's no such thing as vacation in Chicago HAHA). Feel free to post in my blog, or send me PM's. This is going to be great!
2009-12-27 12:12 PM

Can you squeeze me in? I'm a 25yo female grad student living in New Jersey with plans to relocate for the summer. I was a competitive swimmer as an age grouper. This summer was my first season doing tris and I did quite well, but I only competed in 2 sprints. I just finished my first half marathon last weekend.

My biking needs the most improvement: I'm rather timid on the road and I sometimes find it difficult to clear the day for hours-long rides.

Anyway, when I first got into tris this summer I really wanted to join a mentor group but they had long since been filled. I hope I didn't miss the boat again!

Thanks!
2009-12-27 2:03 PM

Hi Matt. My name is Eric and I am trying to get started in tri. I have all the gear and the drive . Now I just need a little help to get me pointed in the right direction to start training properly.
 I am 37 years old a father of a son 18 yrs old. I raced motorcycles at a professional level for over 15 yrs. In the past few years due to the economy I lost my business and had to move from Colorado back to my home town in South Dakota. Here I do not know any one who has Tri knowledge. In the past couple of years I have realized that I have lost the competitive person inside of me that once was ALL I was about. Then one day I was sitting on the couch watching Tv and I watched the World championship Iron Man from Hawaii. I saw the determination and drive in some of the athletes that litteraly made me cry. And believe me I am not an emotional person. The look of determination and accompishment I saw in them was something I had not seen in my self in a long time. Then it hit me. I can still compete. Maybe not for the money. But for the self gratification to ba able say I CAN DO THIS!! I WILL DO THIS!!!And one day I HAVE DONE IT!!!!
  I want to start out small and when I am ready I want to finish an IRON MAN!! If you feel you can help me I am read and willing for any advice and help. I look forward to getting to know you and wish you a happy holiday season.
  Your friend and future IRON MAN
          Eric.
2009-12-27 2:41 PM

I'd like to join your group Matt.  I'm married, 41 years old with a 12 year old daughter.  Been cycling like mad for about 6-7 months but wanted to try a sprint tri so here I am.  Goal is to complete a few sprint tris in 2010. 

Jeff 
2009-12-27 3:00 PM

Hi Matt...have room for another?

I am 29 yrs old and feel that I'm having my first, "oh my gosh I'm old moment!"  Dating a 23 year old who likes to party doesn't help! I am from and live in Lander, WY (go Rocky Mountains!), I grew up a competitive swimmer, but didn't really enjoy it.  I played a year of NCAA Div I soccer so running isn't a stranger to me and I absolutely love rugby.  I do have a habit of drinking and have turned to training for a tri for a means to a lifestyle change, but am really nervous about the biking part since there's too much snow to work at it and have never raced before.  I plan on doing my first tri this summer.  I need a mentor and share your obsession with this site (even though I just started at the end of October.)  

Can I join your group?
Thanks,
Candice 

2009-12-27 5:03 PM

New user

, Colorado
Matt

I would like to join your group.  I am currently finishing up my bachelors and hoping to complete first half-ironman (New Orleans) in April and first Full Ironman (Louisville) in August.  I'm 26, Iraq Veteran, Student, Single.  I wrestled in high school and some college years ago.  I began running in 2005 and have completed Rock N. Roll Marathon-2005, Flying Pig Marathon-2007 and numerous half marathons from 2005 till present.  I am looking to get into triathlons and shooting for the big dogs.  I plan on trying to compete in sprint and olympic races during training. 

Jeremy
2009-12-27 9:28 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Casa Grande, Az.
Hey Matt, I would like to squeeze into your group if possible. I'm 39 and a father of 4 from Casa Grande, Az. Married to an extremely supportive wife that doesn't complain about the hrs. and is my greatest cheerleader! I'm a newby, started training in July. Lost 100lbs. in '09(started doing p90x in March) and did 3 sprints in Oct, Nov, and Dec. Have already registered for the Soma half iron in Tempe for October. Gonna register for an Oly that's in May and make those 2 my main focus of '10 while sprinkling in some sprints that have  OW swims to prepare for the HIM. I'm hoping to get a slot in IMAZ '11. I have a half marathon on 1.23 I'm preparing for now, but i'm still swimming and biking. I follow the Maffetone Method with the HR thing pretty closely. Look forward to enjoying this group!
2009-12-28 7:07 AM

Veteran
Kirkcaldy
Subject: RE: Matt Gilmartin's Group- FULL
Hi Matt,
I would like to join your group.
BT handle Fifetriguy I have a bio along with several posts, questions and weekly reviews of my training in the beginners forum.  I think that should answer all your q's.  My athletic background is in ultrarunning mainly road and track.  I tried tri in 85 and 87 thats when I took up ultras but at 51 the clock has gone full circle and I want to dip my toe in the water again!!
Following the winter maint prog at the mo.  Swimming is my worst discipline.  Would like to drop 15-20 pounds before summer.  Plan for 2010 is to work my way through the distances peaking at 70.3 in August with 2011 dedicated to IM.
Fifetriguy (jim)
2009-12-29 7:29 PM
in reply to: #2578811

User image

Champion
Gold member
Subject: RE: Matt Gilmartin's Group- NOW FULL!
Matt mentioned he is on Holiday Vacation so I'm going to step in until he is able to return...to make sure everyone stays engaged so there is an active group upon his return.

Has anybody begun a formal training plan yet?  Do you have any questions on choosing plans for your goals?

Regarding me (please don't look at my training logs yet!) I need to restart after the Holiday vacation...I kind of slacked-off after the summertime as I started some much needed home renovations -just couldn't do both at once especially with kids.  Now that the bathroom and kitchen is functional, I hope to get back into Olympic distances as that is about all I can handle with a family for now.
2009-12-29 8:58 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Casa Grande, Az.
I'm kinda doing a hybrid of the 16 week 2x balanced olympic and some half marathon training plan. Gotta half marathon coming up in late jan. and I got the 2 week vacation so I used my time wisely to "get ahead" on my distance. Gonna sign up for my first oly for mid March. Kinda nervous about the move up. Might be a bizarre question but when should I stop hydrating before long runs? I alwayze get about 45 to 60 minutes in and have to pee so bad I can't enjoy my runs. Lol! Rereading that sounds funny!  

2009-12-29 9:27 PM
in reply to: #2583156

User image

Master
Straight outta Compton
Hey guys (and gals)- I'm here and thinking of all of you. Todd, in regards to your question- how much fluid are you taking in? This question would best be answered if I knew how tall you were, how much you weigh, and what type of conditions you are running in. That being said, I find whenever I run I usually need to go after 30 minutes or so, regardless of what the temperature is. Obviously the hotter it is outside, the more you need to drink. But if you're pounding down water and sports drinks before you run, you might want to control the amounts. Give me some more info and we'll talk!
2009-12-30 2:49 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Casa Grande, Az.

Took in fluids a lil heavy til bout an hr. before a long bike today(2 hrs). Seemed to be better. Just alwaze worried about dehydration. Sciatica flares up easier with dehydration! So, got any gel, hydration, nutrition templates you go buy for HIM distance? I'm in the 30-35mile range on the bike and noticed i get a little hungry. I realize everyone's different, I was just curious as to what others are doing. Was Redman your 1st HIM? How was it? I'm gonna do my first oly in March and another in May before the HIM in October. I'll probably be asking you a scillion Q's between now and then! Lol! Hope thats cool!

2009-12-30 11:21 PM
in reply to: #2584707

User image

Master
Straight outta Compton
todds - 2009-12-30 1:49 PM

Took in fluids a lil heavy til bout an hr. before a long bike today(2 hrs). Seemed to be better. Just alwaze worried about dehydration. Sciatica flares up easier with dehydration! So, got any gel, hydration, nutrition templates you go buy for HIM distance? I'm in the 30-35mile range on the bike and noticed i get a little hungry. I realize everyone's different, I was just curious as to what others are doing. Was Redman your 1st HIM? How was it? I'm gonna do my first oly in March and another in May before the HIM in October. I'll probably be asking you a scillion Q's between now and then! Lol! Hope thats cool!

Todd, absolutely! That's why I'm here. What kind of fluid are you taking in? I usually run in the morning after a few cups of coffee, so that's my downfall. I live in Colorado and late afternoon's are pretty hot... so I tend to drink a lot of water. As far as fueling for HIM, let's worry about that later until you get the base developed, and we know each other more

For the time being, I'd say stick with what you've been doing unless you're feeling bloated or having to stop every 20 minutes. And to answer your questions, REDMAN was my first HIM. And I loved every minute of it! I have a race report up, it's probably the most revealing I've been about a race thus far.

And that being said, I'd encourage everyone to take advantage of this site and read the RR's- they're awfully revealing. And please ask away. The only dumb question is the one that doesn't get asked. Trust me, I've been where you all are, and the more information you are armed with, the better off you'll be.

2009-12-31 1:05 PM
in reply to: #2583156

User image

Champion
Gold member
Well, when do you do the long runs during the day and before the run describe your current hydration?

todds - 2009-12-29 9:58 PM I'm kinda doing a hybrid of the 16 week 2x balanced olympic and some half marathon training plan. Gotta half marathon coming up in late jan. and I got the 2 week vacation so I used my time wisely to "get ahead" on my distance. Gonna sign up for my first oly for mid March. Kinda nervous about the move up. Might be a bizarre question but when should I stop hydrating before long runs? I alwayze get about 45 to 60 minutes in and have to pee so bad I can't enjoy my runs. Lol! Rereading that sounds funny!  
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Matt Gilmartin's Group- FULL Rss Feed  

of 4