BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Greg Shotts' Mentor Group - Full Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 5

2009-12-23 8:32 AM

User image

Veteran
The Woodlands, TX
Subject: Greg Shotts' Mentor Group - Full

NAME: g_shotts / Greg

STORY: I'm 42 years old, and I'm built for comfort, not for speed. I think of myself as a developing, back of the middle of the pack triathlete. 2010 will be my third tri season. I've been a fairly consistent runner for the last 10 years, but decided to give tri's a chance in 2008 when I was dealing with a leg injury. I was hoping that triathlon would give me more fitness benefits than just running, with less wear and tear on my aging legs. My biggest problems making the switch were that I didn't own a bike and I didn't know how to swim. To make a long story short, I went ahead and signed up for a local sprint race, borrowed a 25-year old road bike from my brother (that hadn't been ridden in 20-years), and started hitting the pool. I finished the tri, but had a near-panic attack on the swim (placed 901 out of 908 for the swim leg). Still, it was a positive experience and I got hooked. That first year I did a couple sprints, a couple Oly's and finished the year with a Half IM.

Since then, I've gotten a little better at swimming, but it's still my major limiter. I bought a used tri bike, and started putting in some miles on it and have turned into a fairly solid middle of the pack biker and runner. Last year, I ended up doing a couple sprints, three Half IM's and IM Louisville. I'm still thinking about 2010 races, but know I'm going to do some running races this winter, the Buffalo Springs HIM in June, and the Silverman Full in November. I started thinking about triathlon and racing a little last night. I think I'm in "completion" mode rather than "competition" mode, meaning that the races I really look forward to, my "A" races, are ones that I'm not completely sure I can finish. I'm not focused on the podium, I'm focused on getting to the finish line.

A few other things about me: I grew up in Alaska, but moved to Texas about 4 years ago. I'm an engineering manager for a natural gas pipeline company, and usually work 45 - 50 hours a week. Depending on where I'm at in a training cycle, I usually train between 5 - 15 hours a week. I struggle with the work / family / training time balance, and I try to follow a training plan for whatever event I'm focused on. I'm kind of a gadget guy, and tend to do all my own bike maintenance. I look at the BT forums pretty regularly, as they keep me engaged in the sport and feeling connected.

FAMILY STATUS: I'm married (Wife - Kelli) and have a daughter (Camille) in 12th grade and a son (Kyler) who's in college. No pets right now.

CURRENT TRAINING: I'm usually following some sort of plan. Right now, I'm finishing the Hal Higdon Intermediate 2 Marathon Plan, about to start tapering for the Houston Marathon and Rocky Racoon Trail Races. I'll probably switch over to one of the BT HIM plans after RR in mid-Feb. I start with a plan, but modify it to fit with everyday life and things I need to work on. I use the BT training log, and try to write and post race reports.

2009 Races: In 2009, I did 2 sprints, 3 Half IM's, a full IM, and a few runs (5k to marathons)

2010 Races: Still thinking about it, but my "A" races will be Houston Marathon, Rocky Racoon 50, Buffalo Springs Half IM, and the Silverman Full. I'll probably throw in a few sprints and some misc runs to keep things interesting.

WEIGHTLOSS: I think of myself as slightly overweight (don't most people). When I started tri's, my weight was in the 190-195 range. I'm now between 175-180 and would like to drop down to the 165-170 range by the Silverman in November. I'm 5'7", and I weighed 160-165 in college. I used to work with this old Finish guys who'd always claim adding 1 pound a year doesn't seem like much, but look where you end up at in 20-years. Isn't that the truth!

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOR:  I thought a little about this question, and struggled to come up with a response. So many of the mentors are really fast, super experienced racers. I AM NOT! I'm more like joe average, an everyday guy who likes the triathlon lifestyle, but struggles with balance in life and finding time for everything. I don't have all the answers. What I do have is a real interest in the sport, a willingness to share what I've learned over the last few years, and a desire to help & encourage people.

Edited by g_shotts 2009-12-25 10:50 PM

2009-12-23 3:00 PM
in reply to: #2574919

User image

Regular
Spokane, Washington
Subject: RE: Greg Shotts' Mentor Group - Open

Hi Greg,

I'd like to join your group. I was looking for someone who is not speedy and super competitive, and I like the way you answered the "What will make me a good mentor" question. I'm into tri's for the lifestyle too, but have had injuries and illnesses to deal with, so I'm just getting back into base training for a while and need some accountability and encouragement.

Here's my info:
Joann (in Spokane), age 48 female, very happily married, with a 6 year old daughter and 2 big dogs. I homeschool our daughter, and also am a caregiver for a disabled friend who lives in our home. I also tutor math occassionally.

Tri Experience:
I've done 3 sprint tri's. Am BOP. I don't run because of bad knees, but I walk a lot and sometimes jog during the tri's. I'm going to work on race-walking technique next year to try to get faster. I refuse to give up doing tri's just because I can't run!

Health and weightloss: 
I've just recovered from 2 cancer surgeries and the swine flu this fall, so have been taking it easy until the end of December. Then I hope to get back into regular training. For me that means: walking a lot, strength training, swimming, biking, and some kind of yoga, physical therapy, or stretching. I, too, had to learn to swim in order to do this sport, but now I enjoy swimming, but I'm slow...
I hope to do more core stuff in 2010 also. I just lost 10-15 lbs with the surgeries and flu, and would like to lose 10 more and get down to 150. (I'm 5'9")

2010 Events:
I've registered for a sprint tri in July, and would also like to walk a half marathon in May. If I'm up to it and training goes well, I'd like to do an Oly in August or September. Like I said, my main goal is lifestyle, but putting something on the calendar really forces me to train.

Thanks for volunteering to be a mentor. I appreciate it!

2009-12-24 10:11 AM

User image

Veteran
The Woodlands, TX
Welcome to the group Joanne! Sounds like you've got a lot going on in your life. I was kind of excited to see you're from Spokane. I have a retired aunt & uncle that live in Spokane, as well as several cousins and their families. I'm pretty sure that my cousin has done the Valley Girl Tri once or twice. 

This whole mentor group thing is new to me, so don't hesitate to let me know what you're expecting or how I can help.

Are you on workout hiatus over the holidays? I'd like to be, but this is my last real training week before the Houston Marathon on Jan 17. I've got a short run today, a medium run on Saturday, and then a long run on Sunday to finish before I go into taper mode for a few weeks. Staying focused on the running and avoiding all of the holiday treats has been a little tough for me.

2009-12-24 10:54 AM
in reply to: #2576776

User image

Regular
Spokane, Washington

Thanks for the welcome, Greg.

Valley Girl is the only Tri I've ever done. It's well organized and is lots of fun for beginners and experienced athletes. It's what got me hooked in this sport/lifestyle. Is your cousin signed up for 2010? It filled up in about an hour after registration opened!

It may sound like I'm falling apart physically, but I'm really not. I'm in the best shape since my 20's. I am taking a break for the holidays just because I think my body needs some deep rest. I had the surgeries in September and recovered really well, but then the flu just slammed me in Novemeber. I look forward to getting back into exercising, but don't want to push it and get sick again. I'm learning to listen to my body. 

As for your roll in the group, just be yourself. Some mentors ask a question a week, just to get people focused and thinking and talking. Others have very chatty people and the mentor just steers and encourages the group. Hopefully we'll get some more people and have a fun group.

Good luck on your tapering during the holidays. That would be tough. 

Enjoy the day,

Joann

2009-12-24 4:45 PM

Greg:  I would like to join your group.  I like the fact that you do not consider yourself competitive, yet still compete in HIM races.  I am a goal driven person and having an accountability group will help me and hopefully the group as well. 

A bit about me:  I am 56 years old - cicvil engineer.  Two years ago we took a picture of the people at work and I saw the way I looked and did like it.  I had to lose some weight - I lost about 35 pounds and would like to drop another 10.  I am 5'8" and 170 now.  The goal in 2008 was to hike up Half Dome in Yosemite - it is a 17 mile hike with a 5000 foot elevation gain and then 5000 foot loss - hard on the knees.   I trained and was walking 30 miles per week at the peak.  My adult sons and I did the hike - we all did great and have a life memory.  2009 goal was to compete in a sprint tri.  I signed up in October 2008 for a race in May - then realized I needed to train.  The race went well - but the open water swim was more than a bit scary.  I then did another sprint in August - swim was much better. 

Goals for 2010 is to do 2 or 3 olympic length races, and if I feel ready a HIM in September.  I may be rushing things, but I also know that age is starting to sneak up on me.   I currently train about 5 -8 hours a week, and want to pick that up as the days lengthen and I expect my work time to drop back to just full time in March.   

Thank you for volunteering

Merry Christmas

Bill

2009-12-24 6:25 PM

User image

Expert
Kaneohe, Hawaii

I would also like to join your group. I share your mindset in that I am not competitive (at least not for 2010) and enjoy my time training and racing for my own satisfaction rather than the trophy collection.

I'm a 44yo male, married with kids in their late teens. I live in the Holy Land... on the island of Oahu in Hawaii. I'm 6'5" tall and weigh in at about 295 lbs. I have a few sprints under my belt and a few running races but that was a few years and about 60 lbs. ago. I've been on the couch for 2 years and have finally gotten sick of how I look and how I feel.

I am newly motivated to make 2010 my come back! I have been training for 2 weeks and have been struggling with coming to terms at how out of shape I have allowed myself to become.

My "A" race for 2010 will be the Honolulu Marathon in December where my goal will probably be to finish with a 10min/mile pace. I still need to set up a few smaller venue triathlons and probably the marathon readiness series (progressively longer running races leading up to the marathon) for a few tests and motivators through the year.

My goals are to lose 60 lbs of flab and slowness prior to the marathon, build base thoughout the year in all three disciplines and remain consitant for the rest of my life.

Thanks for volunteering to be a mentor. I look forward to learning and sharing with the group as we plunge into this crazy lifestyle!

2009-12-24 8:04 PM

User image

Cypress, Texas

Hello Greg.  My name is Mark; I’d like to join your group if you don’t mind.  I like the fact you seem down to earth and humble.  I find that a good quality in a mentor. 

About me:  I’m 36 and a father to three wonderful girls and a husband to one awesome lady.  Professionally, I am a planning and construction project manager.  Family and work keep me extremely busy.  My middle child plays competitive volleyball during the spring, which has us traveling all over the U.S.  My youngest will also start to play team sports this spring so that will also impact my imaginary free time.  I am an avid mountain biker and road ride as a necessary evil to keep fit.  I recently started mountain bike racing last year after not competing in ANYTHING since college ~15 years ago.  I swam in high school and a bit in college.  Having said this, I’m a decent swimmer and competent on the bike, what I lack is running skills.  I’ll be the first to admit I’m a terrible runner.  I am more of a plodder. Currently I’m ~208 lbs @ 5’10”.   I look more suited to play a contact sport rather than race a bike.   I was @ 200 in August before I broke my arm 6 weeks before a 24 hour mountain bike race.  I still competed in it and still had a ton of fun even though I lost a bit of fitness  (gained some weight too) during my time off to recover and a bunch of confidence charging down the hills and taking the drops at speed.  

Why this group:  I see being a part of this group will hold me accountable to 1.) Keep up with my training. 2.) Keep me motivated to loose more weight – I want to get down to 180 – 185 lbs and 3.) Help me with the lessons learned from previous season’s as this is MY first season to tri.   Also, you are an accomplished runner from which I can learn from and possibly find some joy in my weakest and least favorite discipline.    

Last season racing: A few TMBRA mountain bike races ,  a couple of Houston’s own Short Track Stampede mountain bike series races,  and one 24hr mountain bike race at Rocky Hill Ranch in Smithville Tx. 

This season racing:  a couple TMBRA mtb races,  one 12 hr mtb race (La Grange -Feb),  a few sprint tri’s (Jun-Aug), and my two must do’s Austin Xterra- Drity Tri and the 24hr mtb race at Smithville in October

Edited by cycleologist 2009-12-26 3:11 PM
2009-12-25 8:31 AM

User image

Regular
Sweet Home, Oregon
Greg, I would like to be part of your group. I am competitive but mostly with myself. I just want to maintain my fitness.

I am a 50-year old woman, with a great husband (who also tris) and two grown sons. I have competed in tris (sprint-oly-HIM) for 5 years but want to do some more serious training this year. By 'serious' I mean 'consistent.' Life gets in the way.
I am a high school teacher so you would think I have time, but I also coach softball February through May so that cuts into some of my training time.

I completed the 12-week P90X fitness series last week and am currently taking a two-week break. I'm hoping to do a second session, combined with my triathlon training starting the first of the year. I'm a swimmer, a decent biker, and a slow runner. I'm thrilled with 10-minute miles. But I still love the training and the challenge of all of them.

I will lose 10-25 pounds once I start training seriously, it happens every year.

Plans for this year are for several local sprints, 1-2 Olys, and either the Pacific Crest HIM or the Boise 70.3.

Thanks for being a mentor. I did it last year but thought it would be fun to be part of a group (without being in charge) this year.

I tri for the challenge and the people I meet.
2009-12-25 1:32 PM

User image

Elite
washington state
Hi ... I would also like to join this group.

I began tri training a few months ago.  I am a moderately fit, mildly overweight woman.  Tri training is my answer to mid-life crisis!  LOL

I was on a swim team in High School decades ago.  I was pretty much Middle of the Pack.  I have not kept up with swimming regularly until these past few months.  My endurance is increasing.  I think my speed is slow to moderate for just getting back into it.  In a 25 yd pool, I avg a 2'30" 100 yd for a total of 800-1000 yds per session.  Not great but not too horrible.

I had never run before a few months ago.  Couldn't even really jog. But I have persevered and am creeping up on a slow run.  Avg. 12' to 12'30" per mile.  I have only been going 3-5 miles per session.

I know how to ride a bike.  That is about it.  I have been working on a stationary bike and some on an old bike that belonged to my step-daughter 12 years ago.  It is really a youth bike, but I had the LBS move the handlebars further away so I could ride it fairly comfortably.  The LBS guy (who also tris)  said I could start training on it, but he wouldn't recommend racing with it.  I may have to at first though, unless I find a whale of a deal.  I probably need to at least get straps on the pedals or something.

I log my workouts on BT and would always welcome comments.  I would like to lose 10 - 15 lbs but am more focused on fitness.  Even with the increase in workouts the last few months, the pounds have not gone down though my abdomen has firmed up. 

I have yet to do a tri, but am looking at an indoor tri and an outdoor bike/run/bike, both in February.  Sprint distances.

I check in at BT forums pretty much daily.
2009-12-25 3:03 PM

User image

Veteran
Manalapan, NJ
Hi Greg!  If you have room for one more I would like to join.  I completed my first sprint triathlon this summer.  It was so much fun I completed 3 more sprints at the Jersey shore.  Next year I would like to complete an Olympic distance tri.  I have a long term goal of completing a half at age 49 and an ironman at age 50.

I am 48 years old, married and have 5 kids.  I work in New York city and commute approximately 2 hours each way.  This makes finding the time to train a challenge.

Let me know ... 

Regards,
Charlie 
2009-12-25 5:50 PM

Hi Greg

I'd like to join your group if theres space for one more.

I'm 40 and have been cycling for the last 2 years after years of inactivity. Have really enjoyed it and am motivated to get more invilved in building my fitness levels. I Like the fact that you;re aiming towards finishing and completing vs going for time competition since I am a tri newbie . 

I have done several centuries and club rides and signed up for a half ironman with a friend this year to get a taste of multi-sport-  it was a humbling wake up call....I was under prepared and struggled through it - especially the swim. The combination of all three took much more out of me than I had expected.  The camaraderie and encouragement of the other athletes who saw I was struggling was amazing. It was a positive experience and I am hooked! I plan to do a 70.3 in 2010 and be much better prepared for it.  Am looking at the LAke Stevens in Washington which is in August.

I have a travelling sales job so finding a consistent routine and time for training is always a struggle. Am married with no kids.

Looking to learn and build up through a few sprints and olympics so I can be ready for the 70.3

Ed

2009-12-26 10:11 AM

Subject: RE: Greg Shotts' Mentor Group - Full
Greg
I'm 42 y/o male. After reading your bio, I'd like to join your group. I'm an engineer for a pipeline company. I live in IL, so my training outdoors will be limited. I'm married, with three children, 11, 9, & 6. My children are all in sports, so I do my training in the early morning.
I was training last year for my first tri. I had plantar bad in my right foot. I tore the tendon 2 months before the race. I continued to bike throughout the summer. I competed a 35 mile ride in Oct.
I played baseball, basketball. I'm not a swimmer, I hate running, but enjoy biking. I've signed up for a sprint in early June.
I'm currently 195 and I'd like to get down to 175 -180.
If you still have room, I'd like to join.
Thanks
Don
2009-12-26 2:23 PM

User image

Veteran
The Woodlands, TX
Hi everyone. and welcome to the group. Our group filled up much faster than I expected. I'll need to count again, but I think there are 10 of us on board.

I'm still in the middle of Holiday Madness, so I don't think I'll really have time to catch-up with things until tonight. I'll read through everyone's posts and we'll see where things take us.

Have a good weekend! 
2009-12-28 8:08 AM

User image

Veteran
The Woodlands, TX
Okay everyone, here's our group:

g_shotts  - Greg
SpokaneJo - Joann
waterbill - Bill 
Shaved_Wookie - Art
cycleologist - Mark
wittwerteach - Chris
deehtz - Dee 
fontaic - Charlie
egohusa - Ed
verdund - Don

2009-12-28 8:31 AM

User image

Veteran
The Woodlands, TX
I know it's a little cliche to bring this up right before New Years, but has everyone spent some time thinking about 2010 Goals? I developed a new appreciation for having actual, written out goals after reading Joe Friel's Training Bible and Don Fink's book, Be Iron Fit.

Don talks a lot about fear of failure in his goals section. He claims that fear of failure is a double edged sword. It keeps us going because we want to suceed and meet our goal, but it also tends to limit the goals we articulate in the first place. Don's a competative age-grouper. He gives examples from his life where his real goal in a race was to win his age group, but he told everyone his goal was a top 10 finish, because he didn't want to be seen as a failure if he didn't win. His point is that to push and motivate us, goals have to be achievable but should also require us to stretch and extend our limits. I've got four long-term goals for 2010:

1. Finish Houston Marathon (1/17) in less than 4-hours
2. Complete the CB&I Sprint Triathlon (5/2) in less than 1:20
3. Complete the Buffalo Spring HIM (6/28) in less than 6:00 hours
4. Complete the Silverman IM (11/07) in less than 14:00

I think these are all a stretch for me, and I'd like to achieve them, but they're going to require a lot of prep work, and a good day on race day. I'm trying to keep my BT Training Log current with both my long and short term goals - so I see them regularly.

I don't think your goals need to be race-related to be meaningful. I think they can be workout targets, weightloss targets, or related to developing new skills.

Let me know what you think.
2009-12-28 10:23 AM

User image

Expert
Kaneohe, Hawaii

Goals are definitely a great tool in forming a strategy for the coming year. They give us focus and allow us to better structure our plan of completion as well as give us a measureable target.

I've only recently returned to training after a 2 year layoff and I haven't yet outlined the majority of my 2010 goals. However, I do have two main goals so far for the coming year. I want to lose 65 lbs. (which should give me a single digit body fat percentage) and I would like to finish the Honolulu Marathon (12/10) with an average pace under 11 minutes/mile. I still need to pick up a local race guide so I can plan out some smaller venue events along the way.

I have a few performance minded goals for 2010 as well. I want to be worthy of my QR Caliente Tri-bike (this might take more than one season) and I want to stay consistant in my training throughout 2010.

2010 is the year to get 'er done!

2009-12-28 10:55 AM
in reply to: #2579781

User image

Regular
Spokane, Washington

Hi Everyone,

Looks like a great group!

I'm sort of starting over, so my early goals for the year are:

1. Get on a consistent schedule for strength training and PT. Strength twice a week. PT daily.
2. Build up my walking so I can walk a half mary in May.
3. Follow the "zero to a mile" swim program until I can go a mile without stopping.
4. Bike an hour a week.
5. Continue to lose weight until I reach my goal of 150.

My goals have more to do with schedule and lifestyle right now than with a specific event. I am registered for a sprint tri in July, but may add more events as I get fit.

Happy Monday everyone. I look forward to getting to know you all and watching you progress in your goals.

Joann

2009-12-28 10:48 PM

Subject: 2010 goals

Greg:  The group looks great.  Thanks again. 

I have started to put together a list of races for the year.  Last year was the first time I have ever raced - 2 sprints.

For 2010 I would like to do an early season Sprint, then 2 Olympics.  There is also a fun low competition local tri that is very low key that starts with a 6 mile run, then a 13 mile bike, and ends with a 6 mile kayak down river. 

There is a local HIM in mid September that if I think I can get ready for I might do.  I have a hard time with just doing a race so I can say I finished versus trying to be at least mid range in my age group (55-60).  I have never ever ran more than 7 miles so a 13 mile race after a 56 mile and 1 mile swim is currently hard for me to imagine, but September is a long time from now. 

The swim is still a bit scary for me.  I can swim continuously for 3000 yards in a pool, but 1500 yards in a cold water lake is still a challenge.  I look forward to hearing from others how they deal with their challenges. 

2009-12-29 7:32 AM

User image

Cypress, Texas

+1 to Greg's suggestion to write things down.  I've logged on a calendar: my planned races, my daughter's volleyball and travel schedule, and my 20 week HIM training program.  You all should have access to my training and race logs so feel free to take a peek.  I don't have my planned training log here as I do not have that capability with my current membership.  Having everything on paper or logged electronically gives me a easy two week look ahead of mycommitments and scheduled training.  It allows me to plan either to get up early, get the w.o. out of the way or switch things around depending on time constraints.  

I'm still undecided whether or not I'm doing the Nov 7th HIM (Ironstar-Conroe Tx).  It will all depend on how my summer goes.  I think next year I’ll be more prepared to take on the 70.3.  I'm training at that distance as suggested by other seasoned Triathletes for the August Austin Dirty Tri / Xterra.

Greg – when you are following a long and regimented training program like that of the HIM, what do you do about the missed work outs?  Do you simply skip them if you miss it or catch up and fit it in a brick session the same week?
2009-12-29 10:28 AM

User image

Veteran
The Woodlands, TX

My feelings about missing a work-out are firmly in the It Depends camp. I'm 42 years old, and I know I don't recover from things as quickly as I used to. I also know that we all get a little less resilient as we age. With that in mind, I don't try to make up workouts that I've missed, unless it's a key workout. For me, that would usually be a long run or a a long ride, and I'd make it up by replacing a shorter run/ride with a longer one. If I'm sick or life keeps me from making up the key workout within a few days of when it was scheduled, I forget about it altogether. I think part of this comes from reading your plan and understanding what's really important and what's not. The other part of it is knowing what your limits are, and making sure you don't push yourself to the mental or physical breaking point.

The Hal Higdon plan I've been following recently calls for running 5-days a week and cross-training for one of the off days. Sometimes I make five days.....but sometimes I really don't feel like it and I'll miss a day. I've only made about helf of the cross-training days. The only days I ever "make up" if I miss are the long runs on Sundays, or the mid-week medium runs on Wednesday. I make those up by doing the mileage the day before or after. If I got sick for a few days, I'd just forget about what I missed.

Don't tell anyone, but if I'm feeling overly fatigued or stiff & sore, sometimes I skip workouts just for the heck of it! The conventional wisdom is that you're better off being under-trained than over-trained, and I really agree with that.

2009-12-30 12:20 PM

User image

Elite
washington state
Haven't done any events besides a 5k fun run.  How do you find out about events in a particular area?  I am looking for sprints or duathlons or 5-10k runs in Washington/Oregon.

2009-12-30 12:21 PM

User image

Elite
washington state
Oh yeah, I am not sure what kind of goals to post since I have no clue what I am doing.  Undecided
2009-12-30 2:11 PM
in reply to: #2584261

User image

Regular
Spokane, Washington

Hi Dee,

I'm also in the Pacific Northwest. Here's a website events in the Washinton/Oregon area. You can get on their mailing list too. http://www.racecenter.com/

As for goals, you don't need to have an event or even a schedule. Just say what you'd like to do and break it down into time frames. For example, I want to swim a mile straight. I've started a plan to do that, so I plan to swim 3 times a week. The reality is that I'll probably swim only twice a week, but I'll push for three times.

Sometimes I write weekly goals, and other times my goals are monthly or longer range. Do what works for you and do what is meaningful for you. 

From your blog, it looks like you've done a great job of setting and meeting goals in the past few months. Just keep going with that and keep pushing forward. And don't forget to have a blast!

Joann

2009-12-30 7:55 PM
in reply to: #2584265

User image

Cypress, Texas
Hi Dee,  Try active.com and search by zip.  Also, signmeup.com is another good site.  Good luck and Happy New Year.
2009-12-31 12:05 AM
in reply to: #2581301

User image

Veteran
Manalapan, NJ
Subject: RE: 2010 goals
waterbill - 2009-12-28 11:48 PM...

The swim is still a bit scary for me.  I can swim continuously for 3000 yards in a pool, but 1500 yards in a cold water lake is still a challenge.  I look forward to hearing from others how they deal with their challenges. 

I joined a local Triathlon club this past summer.  They hosted several open water swim clinics in the bay and in the ocean.  I attended 3 of these before my first tri and I am really glad I did.  It is so different swimming in open water than in a pool!  It enabled me to get used to swimming in a wetsuit, sighting, ocean waves and swells, currents, etc.  I discovered that there is no black line on the bottom of the ocean to guide me!

In a pool I breathe once every four strokes but in all of my tri's I have had to breathe every two strokes.  This is something I really want to work on this coming year, that is getting comfortable enough in the ocean to swim at the same cadence I use in the pool.

I am considering entering a swim only race in May.  This will either be a 1.2 mile or 2.4 mile swim in the Navesink river.  I'm on the east coast and the water temperature is usually a bit chilly so I will use a wetsuit for almost all of my races.

One trick I did learn this year was to get in the water before each race, pull my wetsuit away from my body to get a layer of water between my skin and the suit and warm up in the water a bit.

-- Charlie
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Greg Shotts' Mentor Group - Full Rss Feed  

of 5