BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slidell4Life's Group - CLOSED for Training Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 19

2009-12-23 9:46 AM

User image

Elite
Phoenix, AZ
Subject: Slidell4Life's Group - CLOSED for Training
Members:
Slidell4Life (Chad)
JeffIrvin (Jeff)
krystyna47 (Krystyna)
Artist (Terry)
Laloosh (Josh)
lanceho (Lance)
krisko (Chris)
sympatric (Patrick)
Kat25 (Katherine)
PhillipT (Phillip)
rundadrun (Tim)

NAME:
Slidell4life / Chad

STORY: I started triathlon as part of rehab after knee surgery. I played soccer for years, but since my first triathlon I've been hooked. I'm a strong swimmer and a good cyclist. My run is definitely weak by comparison, so I'm always trying to get faster on my feet.

FAMILY STATUS:
I am a married with a brand new baby girl. I'm the happiest man in the world right now.

CURRENT TRAINING:
I am currently running a lot in preparation for the Ragnar Relay, a 201 mile race with a 12-person team.

THIS YEAR'S RACES:
In 2009 I did a couple of Olympics and my first Half Ironman. I broke my jaw in a cycling accident in June, so I had to reschedule some goals. I managed to find a 70.3 in October, which worked out great. I also did about 5 sprint races.

2010 RACES: 
I am planning to race Mountain Man 70.3 in Flagstaff, AZ, and Ironman Arizona in November. That will be my first race at that distance.

WEIGHTLOSS:
I don't have any plans to lose weight. I've been pretty lucky to maintain a happy weight through all of my activities.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOR:
If nothing else, I am very social. I really enjoy interacting with other athletes, and I've definitely done a lot of that on BT. I have a lot of information to share, tips on racing, training.

Edited by Slidell4life 2009-12-27 4:39 PM

2009-12-23 12:41 PM
in reply to: #2575105

User image

Extreme Veteran
Kingwood, TX
Subject: RE: Slidell4Life's Group - OPEN

Chad, I'd like to join your mentor group!

Jeff Irvin, 34 yrs old

STORY: I live in Kingwood, TX (north of Houston) but am originally from the Pittsburgh area. I am an outside sales rep for a medical company and also own a small real estate company. I did my first Tri in August of 09 and have become hooked. About 18 months ago I decided to make a lifestyle change and focus on weight loss and overall fitness. I am 5'9 and was 198 lbs on that day. As of this morning I am now 148 lbs. My strongest sport is the run and I am constantly working to get better on the bike and in the pool.

FAMILY STATUS: I am happily married to a runner (Annie) and we have two pugs, Ernie and Bailey. Unfortunately, they do not follow in the fitness footsteps of my wife and I!

CURRENT TRAINING: I have just finished doing the Hal Higdon Marathon plan and am now doing one of the BT 1/2 IM plans. Houston weather allows for a lot of my training to be outdoors, but I recently got a fluid 2 trainer and am loving riding and watching TV!

THIS YEAR'S RACES: In 2009 I competed in 2 sprint Tris, a 10k, a 5 mi Turkey Trot, and then went crazy and did a 50K Trail Run. In the Tris I was MOP and in the running races I was FOP.2010 RACES: Booked already are the Austin 1/2 Marathon and the LoneStar Oly Tri in Galveston, TX. I also plan on doing the same 2 sprint Tris as last year and then finishing up the year with a 70.3 in Conroe TX. Will probably mix in a few 10k races and maybe another Trail run.

WEIGHTLOSS: Happy with current weight. My nutrition is extremely clean: whole grains, proteins, nuts, tons of water and very little fat.

Looking forward to being in the group!

Jeff

Edited by JeffIrvin 2009-12-23 12:45 PM
2009-12-23 1:34 PM

User image

Elite
Phoenix, AZ
Jeff,
Welcome to the group! I also have 2 pugs (Elroy and Stella), so snorts right back at you.
2009-12-23 5:10 PM
in reply to: #2575580

User image

Extreme Veteran
Kingwood, TX

You are running in a 201 mile relay??

Wow .. that sounds like a cool event! How many miles of the 201 are you going to be accountable for?

That is funny that you have pugs too. They are good dogs, lazy, but good

2009-12-25 11:07 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Montreal
Can I join the group?! 2010 is going to be a great season, I can feel it!!

NAME: krystyna47/krystyna

STORY: We've got similar stories. After a soccer injury, I had to have my ACL reconstructed and my medial meniscus removed from my left knee. I started swimming, biking, running and after the required 6 months of rehab, I did my first tri, an Oly. I'm still playing soccer but my main focus is triathlon. The hardest part for me is definitely the biking.

FAMILY STATUS: Single! I'm 21 and not exactly rushing to get married!

CURRENT TRAINING: I'm in the base-building stage of training for my first IM, which will be in Aug 2010

THIS YEAR'S RACES: In 2009, I did a couple Sprints, many Oly's and ended off the season early in July for my first HIM so that I could do some volunteer research on mammals in Peru in the Amazonian rainforest. One of the most gorgeous places in the world!!

2010 RACES: Although I wish I could, I won't be doing any short-course races like the Oly. Instead, I will do ~2 HIM races as training, and end the season with my 'A' race in Penticton, B.C. on Aug 29 2010 - my first IM!! After that's done, I think I'm going to focus on improving my HIM times.

WEIGHTLOSS: Not trying to lose weight, just trying to make it out of the next few months of training alive!!

Edited by krystyna47 2009-12-25 11:09 AM
2009-12-25 2:23 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Price, UT
I would like to join your mentor group-I am a 54 year old woman- I have knee issues-used to run a lot and have done two half marathons- I am planning on doing the Scofield Tri-sprint distance for my first. I have covered this as a sports writer for the local paper for three years and kept saying I want to do it rather than cover it. I have started swimming for the first time in 30 years. I have a new road bike up on a trainer and run/walking on the treadmil.
I think your similar experience with knee issues may make you a good mentor for me as I am worried about my knee holdingup
Terry

2009-12-26 1:12 AM

User image

Regular
Valencia, CA
Hi Chad, I'd like to join your group if you don't mind!

NAME: 
Laloosh / Josh

STORY: I grew up playing "traditional" sports -- baseball, soccer, basketball -- and I've always enjoyed competition, but haven't had the time (or commitment) to exercise much over the past few years. Earlier this year a co-worker organized a company team for the Nautica Malibu Triathlon and I signed up for a relay (bike). I trained my off because the last thing I wanted was to not be able to finish the 18-mile bike ride in the actual triathlon. After feeling the energy at the event, I knew I had to do it again, but as an individual. 

FAMILY STATUS:
I'm 38, married to an admitted non-athlete. We have a 4-year-old son who loves Star Wars (even though he's never seen any of the movies), princesses and Vladimir Guerrero. 

CURRENT TRAINING:
I'm currently in Week 3 of a 12-week training schedule getting ready for my first individual tri.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: 
As I mentioned, my only triathlon experience was as the cyclist on a relay team in the Nautica Malibu Triathlon this past September.

2010 RACES:  
I'm taking it one race at a time at the moment, so right now I'm only planning on entering the Toyota Desert Sprint Triathlon in La Quinta, CA in March.

WEIGHTLOSS:
I'm 5'10", 208 lbs, but I don't think anyone would say I'm fat (my weight is mostly in my tree trunk-like legs). Ideally, I'd like to drop about 15 pounds, but only as a healthy side effect of my training (not a goal).

STRENGTHS: I grew up with a swimming pool so I feel comfortable in the water, and I've been doing bike-centric training for about 6 months so I'm confident there.

WEAKNESSES: I've always had a hard time with distance running. I ran for about 6 months in my 20s (3 miles/3X per week) but had to stop because my lower extremities were always in pain. But I bought my first pair of decent running shoes specifically for the tri and I've been easing into the running to let my body adjust gradually.

I have tons of questions, but for now I just wanted to introduce myself. I look forward to everyone inspiring each other in this group! 

Edited by Laloosh 2009-12-26 1:13 AM
2009-12-26 11:55 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Price, UT
This looks like it is shaping up to be a pretty diverse group as far as experience. I am definitley on the bottom side-I can use all the encouragement I can get- Mostly fighting with this knee pain. I am currently about 20 lbs over my wieght I would like to be. I have given up many sports because of this knee (5 scopes to clean it up and repair) but I hate sitting on the side lines and am determined to find my way back to being in the mix
2009-12-26 4:20 PM
in reply to: #2578139

User image

Extreme Veteran
Kingwood, TX
Artist - 2009-12-26 11:55 AM This looks like it is shaping up to be a pretty diverse group as far as experience. I am definitley on the bottom side-I can use all the encouragement I can get- Mostly fighting with this knee pain. I am currently about 20 lbs over my wieght I would like to be. I have given up many sports because of this knee (5 scopes to clean it up and repair) but I hate sitting on the side lines and am determined to find my way back to being in the mix

It is looking that way Artist!  Hopefully we can all help each other with motivation and accountability.  I am looking forward to chatting with you guys.

Jeff
2009-12-26 4:32 PM

User image

Veteran
Longview
Chad,

I would like to be a part of your mentor group I believe you may have a great deal of insight to help me. 

I was 2 weeks from my first sprint last october and tore my meniscus both medial an lateral.  I have had a repair and I am hoping to do at least 3 sprints in the upcoming year.  I am 42 years old and not small at 6'2" and 230lbs.
I have aways enjoyed cycling and even did a few century rides last year but I really want to get a few triathlons done.

I have started the running back but feel slower than ever after the knee mishap.

Thanks

Lance H
2009-12-26 8:13 PM
in reply to: #2578139

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chad, I'm a new triathlete looking for a mentor if you have room in the group.

NAME: krisko/Chris

STORY:
 I am a 41 year old male and was a non-athlete until 18 months ago.  In Feb. 2008 I got up to 211lbs (5'10") and used the Atkins diet and lots of walking to lose 35lbs over 2 months.  Several months later I started running and took to it right away.  I completed my first half marathon after 3 months of running and first marathon a few months after that. 

FAMILY STATUS: I'm married to a non-athlete and have a 9yo girl (Katie) and a 10yo boy (Chris).  My son is a cross-country runner and got to the USATF National Championships in 2009.

CURRENT TRAINING: I'm currently in week 10 of P90X (12 weeks total) and riding 3 or 4 days a week.  Unfortunately I haven't run in weeks but that's going to have to change as I have half marathon to train for.  I have swim lessons starting on January 5th.  After P90X, I plan to hit the s/b/r hard, about 10 workouts per week.

THIS YEAR'S RACES:  I ran 2 marathons, 3 half marathons and numerous shorter races in 2009.  PRs were 3:47, 1:45, and best 10K is 47:45.  I have done no triathlons.

2010 RACES:  First event is the ING Atlanta half marathon on March 21.  First triathlon scheduled is the Peachtree City International on May 15 (Int. distance).  My 'A' race is the Augusta Half Ironman in late September and I will do 3 or 4 other triathlons.  I will probably do a fall marathon as well, perhaps Rocket City in December.

WEIGHTLOSS: I'm 5'10", 178 lbs.  Optimal shape would probably require a 15lb weightloss but I'm not concerned with weight as long as I don't gain any.

STRENGTHS: My strength is running and I think I can get decent at the bike.

WEAKNESSES: Too soon to tell what my weakness would be, bike or swimming.  I am definitely most nervous about the swim but I'm won't be concerned about it unless my swim lessons don't go very well.  The coach is a triathlete and all the students are triathletes so I expect to get a lot of knowledge.  My bike has been very weak to this point (6 weeks of riding, most on trainer) but I'm told I'm where I should be as a new rider.

GOALS:  I'm not too concerned with setting time goals in my first year of triathlon.  The only time goal I've got is a sub-6 hour HIM and don't really know enough about the various distances to set other goals.  Mostly all I want is to stay healthy, have fun, and to learn.

2009-12-26 8:28 PM

User image

Regular
Dallas
Chad,

I would like to jump into your group if possible. Crazy I was reading your info here and it just made me laugh. I have been racing for 3 yrs and am pretty much addicted. I have been playing soccer my whole life and also have gone under the knife, or laser. I have had major jaw surgery in my lifetime, though not from anything as cool as a cycling crash. Crazy! Anyway I enjoyed my last mentor group and really like the accountability that it provides. Let me know. Some info about me is below.

NAME: sympatric / Patrick

STORY: This will be my 4th Triathlon season

FAMILY STATUS: I am married with no children...yet. I have 2 mutt dogs that are my running buddies.

CURRENT TRAINING: Currently I am training, if you want to call it that, for The Austin Marathon Feb, 14. This will be my first marathon.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: In 2009 I did a number of touring rides, a couple of sprints, 2 Oly., and finished my first HIM.

2010 RACES: This year I am just taking it easy, I have a marathon in February and haven't figured out my Tri season yet. Probably won't do any long distance racing this year. Just want to get faster and have fun.

WEIGHTLOSS: I am not too worried about my weight, just want to be healthy

Let me know. Thx.
2009-12-26 8:35 PM

User image

Pro
The Land of Ice and Snow
Hi Chad!  
2009-12-26 9:33 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Kingwood, TX
Chris - I did a couple of rounds of P90X also. Great program - it had my legs ready for Triathlon.

Patrick - My wife and I are doing the Austin Marathon too. She is doing the full and I am doing the half - someone's gotta be able to drive home! Smile

Looks like we have a reall good group here!
2009-12-26 10:37 PM

New user

Chad,
I would really like the opportunity to join this group.  I have decided that the 2010 Tri for a Cure in Chandler will be my first triathlon, sprint that is. I am completely new to this sport and would love the motivation and mentorship.
Katherine 
2009-12-27 12:50 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Montreal
Anyone want to share what P90X is? Sounds intriguing!

2009-12-27 1:49 AM

User image

Memphis, Tennessee
Chad,
I would like to join your group. I am 43, married 23 years, no kids, 1 dog, and 5 cats. I love to swim and have been doing that for over a year now. I do 2 miles 3 times a week and love it. I want to start somewhere and do a triathlon next year. I was in the Army 7 years and kind of got a resentment towards running so I need to work on my running. I am going to get the bike fixed and see where I am on that. I need all the direction I can get. Thanks so much!
Phillip
2009-12-27 6:35 AM
in reply to: #2578631

User image

Extreme Veteran
krystyna47 - 2009-12-27 12:50 AM Anyone want to share what P90X is? Sounds intriguing!

P90X is an in-home bootcamp.  You do 6 1 hour workouts per week, 3 are strength and 3 are cardio.  I've done only the strength workouts and have been riding in stead of the cardio.  All I have is a pullup station, pushup handles, dumbbells, and a bench and I'm stronger than I've ever been in my life.  Check it out at http://www.beachbody.com/product/fitness_programs/p90x.do?code=DD_P90X
2009-12-27 9:08 AM

Fort Wayne
Hi my name is Tim. I would like to join your group.

EXPERIENCE: I,ve run for the past 2 1/2 yrs. I really enjoy the long run but have had set backs due to over use. I also bike. Just bought a nice roadbike and like doing distance on it too.

Weight loss: sure. Two years ago I took off 48 lbs and felt really great. However, I was'nt really educated about doing it right  and took off muscle mass too. Some has come back on, so I would like to take 10-15 off.
Eating: I need some help here.
Did I see someone was from Pittsburg? I'm from that area but now reside in the midwest.
Family: yes, seven of us plus short fat dog.
2009-12-27 10:05 AM

User image

Elite
Phoenix, AZ
Welcome, everyone! I apologize for being offline for a few days. My daughter's first Christmas was epic. I think we've got a great group here. I am going to go ahead and close it now.
2009-12-27 3:59 PM
in reply to: #2575974

User image

Elite
Phoenix, AZ
JeffIrvin - 2009-12-23 3:10 PM

You are running in a 201 mile relay??

Wow .. that sounds like a cool event! How many miles of the 201 are you going to be accountable for?

That is funny that you have pugs too. They are good dogs, lazy, but good

We each run 3 legs of the race. It's around 17 miles total.

2009-12-27 4:02 PM
in reply to: #2577537

User image

Elite
Phoenix, AZ
krystyna47 - 2009-12-25 9:07 AM Can I join the group?! 2010 is going to be a great season, I can feel it!!

NAME: krystyna47/krystyna

STORY: We've got similar stories. After a soccer injury, I had to have my ACL reconstructed and my medial meniscus removed from my left knee. I started swimming, biking, running and after the required 6 months of rehab, I did my first tri, an Oly. I'm still playing soccer but my main focus is triathlon. The hardest part for me is definitely the biking.

FAMILY STATUS: Single! I'm 21 and not exactly rushing to get married!

CURRENT TRAINING: I'm in the base-building stage of training for my first IM, which will be in Aug 2010

THIS YEAR'S RACES: In 2009, I did a couple Sprints, many Oly's and ended off the season early in July for my first HIM so that I could do some volunteer research on mammals in Peru in the Amazonian rainforest. One of the most gorgeous places in the world!!

2010 RACES: Although I wish I could, I won't be doing any short-course races like the Oly. Instead, I will do ~2 HIM races as training, and end the season with my 'A' race in Penticton, B.C. on Aug 29 2010 - my first IM!! After that's done, I think I'm going to focus on improving my HIM times.

WEIGHTLOSS: Not trying to lose weight, just trying to make it out of the next few months of training alive!!

Krystyna, welcome to the group! You can be the voice of youth for us. So you're planning on 2 HIMs and one IM by Aug? You must be starting training soon, eh? That's going to be a fun season. I'm look forward to seeing how you do at Penticton.
2009-12-27 4:08 PM
in reply to: #2577640

User image

Elite
Phoenix, AZ
Artist - 2009-12-25 12:23 PM I would like to join your mentor group-I am a 54 year old woman- I have knee issues-used to run a lot and have done two half marathons- I am planning on doing the Scofield Tri-sprint distance for my first. I have covered this as a sports writer for the local paper for three years and kept saying I want to do it rather than cover it. I have started swimming for the first time in 30 years. I have a new road bike up on a trainer and run/walking on the treadmil.
I think your similar experience with knee issues may make you a good mentor for me as I am worried about my knee holdingup
Terry

Terry, welcome aboard! I think you'll find your knee responds well to running/biking/swimming. The only problems I have is when I try to run exclusively. The crosstraining (esp biking) will help strengthen your quads and stabilize your knees.  Can't wait to hear about your experience as a first timer. I think everyone remembers their first triathlon for a long time.
2009-12-27 4:14 PM
in reply to: #2577937

User image

Elite
Phoenix, AZ
Laloosh - 2009-12-25 11:12 PM Hi Chad, I'd like to join your group if you don't mind!

NAME: 
Laloosh / Josh

STORY: I grew up playing "traditional" sports -- baseball, soccer, basketball -- and I've always enjoyed competition, but haven't had the time (or commitment) to exercise much over the past few years. Earlier this year a co-worker organized a company team for the Nautica Malibu Triathlon and I signed up for a relay (bike). I trained my off because the last thing I wanted was to not be able to finish the 18-mile bike ride in the actual triathlon. After feeling the energy at the event, I knew I had to do it again, but as an individual. 

FAMILY STATUS:
I'm 38, married to an admitted non-athlete. We have a 4-year-old son who loves Star Wars (even though he's never seen any of the movies), princesses and Vladimir Guerrero. 

CURRENT TRAINING:
I'm currently in Week 3 of a 12-week training schedule getting ready for my first individual tri.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: 
As I mentioned, my only triathlon experience was as the cyclist on a relay team in the Nautica Malibu Triathlon this past September.

2010 RACES:  
I'm taking it one race at a time at the moment, so right now I'm only planning on entering the Toyota Desert Sprint Triathlon in La Quinta, CA in March.

WEIGHTLOSS:
I'm 5'10", 208 lbs, but I don't think anyone would say I'm fat (my weight is mostly in my tree trunk-like legs). Ideally, I'd like to drop about 15 pounds, but only as a healthy side effect of my training (not a goal).

STRENGTHS: I grew up with a swimming pool so I feel comfortable in the water, and I've been doing bike-centric training for about 6 months so I'm confident there.

WEAKNESSES: I've always had a hard time with distance running. I ran for about 6 months in my 20s (3 miles/3X per week) but had to stop because my lower extremities were always in pain. But I bought my first pair of decent running shoes specifically for the tri and I've been easing into the running to let my body adjust gradually.

I have tons of questions, but for now I just wanted to introduce myself. I look forward to everyone inspiring each other in this group! 

Welcome to the group, Josh. That Malibu tri always looked fun to me. Did you see any celebrities out there?
I'm glad you're a strong swimmer. I know lots of folks need lots of advice with that discipline. We can help ease you into a regular pattern of running. Does your 12 week plan currently have you running a lot? If so, how do you feel out there?
2009-12-27 4:17 PM
in reply to: #2578317

User image

Elite
Phoenix, AZ
lanceho - 2009-12-26 2:32 PM Chad,

I would like to be a part of your mentor group I believe you may have a great deal of insight to help me. 

I was 2 weeks from my first sprint last october and tore my meniscus both medial an lateral.  I have had a repair and I am hoping to do at least 3 sprints in the upcoming year.  I am 42 years old and not small at 6'2" and 230lbs.
I have aways enjoyed cycling and even did a few century rides last year but I really want to get a few triathlons done.

I have started the running back but feel slower than ever after the knee mishap.

Thanks

Lance H

Hey, Lance, welcome to the group! I wouldn't worry if running feels slow right now. That's totally normal after recovery. Hell, that's normal after any time off. The key to running fitness is consistency.  If nothing else, we have lots of people with knee recovery experience. We'll get you to the finish line!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slidell4Life's Group - CLOSED for Training Rss Feed  

of 19