BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Twylite's Trying for weight loss group CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 12

2009-12-26 9:18 AM

User image

Louisiana
Subject: Twylite's Trying for weight loss group CLOSED

NAME: Twylite, that's me!

STORY: I'm a 40ish mom of five, loving wife of one, caring physician of many. I wanted to join a group that focuses on weight loss, balancing life, and health. Well, I didn't find it, so I started it. (I'm an entrepreneur, too!).

CURRENT TRAINING: In the spring of 2007, I walked out to the pool where my family was lounging and announced I was going to do a triathlon. I couldn't swim over 50 yards, had not been on a racing bike since the early 1970's when my best friend Sandy got one for Christmas, had never run a race of any kind, and was seriously overweight. I've just completed my 3rd year of triathlon, finishing a half ironman in November 2009, after DNFing the same race the year before.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: I'm signed up for the Mardi Gras Marathon, but will opt out for the half. Life happened! Plan to do a HIM again this year, along with some fun, shorter races.

WEIGHTLOSS: I'm a lifetime Weight Watcher member, 12 pounds over goal. I joined WW again Wed, Dec 23. I'm committed to weighing in weekly until goal. (Life willing)

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOR: I know the thrill of victory and the agony of defeat. I've personally inspired over 25 people, ages 5-65 to complete their first triathlon. I think when they see me, they say, "If she can do that, I know I can! . On the serious note, I'm an anti-aging physician with a sole focus to help people feel better. I think I can bring a base of knowledge from my medical background, a wealth of tips on what to do and what not to do in triathlon (Don't ask for a kickstand for your racing bike!), a realistic outlook from my life as a busy wife and mom, an empathy from my struggle with weight and fitness issues, and a sense of humor from my eternal optimism.

(Disclaimer: Nothing I say should be taken as medical advice or as constituting a doctor/patient relationship, so don't go get a fancy lawyer and sue me!)

Edited by twylite148 2009-12-28 8:54 PM

2009-12-28 3:43 PM
in reply to: #2578050

Veteran
Subject: RE: Twylite's Trying for weight loss group OPEN
Hi Twylite! 
I am inspired already, and would like to join your mentor group!  My name is Marla.  I am also a busy mom/wife, working FT, running a business PT, PTA, Baseball Ladies Auxiliary etc.  I was inspired by a friend to get a little more serious about keeping my 41 year old body healthy and fit, so I signed up (and paid for - good motivation!) a Sprint Triathalon in July.

I do Pilates weekly and have been working with a trainer 2X per week for the past two months.  FInancially, I may have to cut back on the personal training, but my plan is to start using the Beginner Exercise Program starting next week.   Looking forward to the next few months!  Marla 
2009-12-28 3:45 PM

User image

Veteran
Lancaster, PA
Sign me up for your group. What do I need to do?
Just joined the web site. Never done a tri before but signed up for a local sprint in May. I've been running for a while (short distances). I float a little bit, and currently in the market for a road bike (have a hybrid now).
I'm also a physician, just turned 41. My wife was blessed with being born in shape (and has stayed like that since....I hate her), but likes the gym more than outdoors exercise. 2 boys, 13 and 9.
2009-12-28 3:51 PM

Regular
Show Low, Arizona
Would LOVE to be part this group!!!

NAME: Twinstrimom/Mary

STORY: I did my first triathlon in 2001 at the age of 35 after losing 80 lbs. To date I have lost a total of 135 lbs and competed in about 15 tri’s, but haven’t competed since 2008. When I first started competing, my goal was to do an IM before or during the year I turned 45, which will be 2011. I work as a 911 dispatcher, which means “shift” work, am back at school to get my nursing or teaching degree - can't decide what I want to be when I grow up - lol. Am a wife and mom to 19 yo daughters who are away at college. My biggest challenge is going to be trying to fit it ALL in!!! I’ve also been the volunteer coordinator for the Deuces Wild Triathlon held in my hometown for the last 6 years.

FAMILY STATUS: Married to a wonderful man for the last 25 years. Twin daughters, Chanelle & Janessa, who are 19 and in college.

CURRENT TRAINING: Training for some short races and ½ IM in 2010. I’m currently strength training 3 times a week and running. Will be getting back in the pool next month and getting on the trainer since it’s wintertime and really cold!!!

THIS YEAR'S RACES: Last race was Tri for the Cure in 2008

2010 RACES: I plan on doing at least 3 shorter races before my ½ IM Mountain Man 70.3 in Flagstaff, AZ in August.

WEIGHTLOSS: I would still like to lose about 20 lbs.

Edited by twinstrimom 2009-12-28 3:55 PM
2009-12-28 4:13 PM

User image

Louisiana

Welcome, Welcome, Welcome!!! That's a welcome for each of you, Maria, FG, and Mary. I was sorta watching to see when my thread would go live, and I turned my back and there you are! It's going to be a lot of fun, getting to know you and all working together.

Actually I'm supposed to be working right now, completing delinquent charts. But I just had to pop in. We'll get a few more folks in and then  shut the door. No homework for now, but once the door's closed, we get to work.

I'll check back later. Gotta do some more charts.

2009-12-28 5:07 PM
in reply to: #2580676

User image

Louisiana

mmgoldenb - 2009-12-28 3:43 PM Hi Twylite! 
I am inspired already, and would like to join your mentor group!  My name is Marla.  I am also a busy mom/wife, working FT, running a business PT, PTA, Baseball Ladies Auxiliary etc.  I was inspired by a friend to get a little more serious about keeping my 41 year old body healthy and fit, so I signed up (and paid for - good motivation!) a Sprint Triathalon in July.

I do Pilates weekly and have been working with a trainer 2X per week for the past two months.  FInancially, I may have to cut back on the personal training, but my plan is to start using the Beginner Exercise Program starting next week.   Looking forward to the next few months!  Marla 

Ok, Maria, I'm getting that you have 2 jobs, at least 2 volunteer positions, and you're a mom. My kinda lady! I'm so excited you've already registered for a Sprint Triathlon in July. WTG! You're well on you way to getting there. We'll get serious next week, but don't freak. There will be time for everything.

Welcome aboard!

2009-12-28 5:10 PM
in reply to: #2580680

User image

Louisiana

guticur - 2009-12-28 3:45 PM Sign me up for your group. What do I need to do?
Just joined the web site. Never done a tri before but signed up for a local sprint in May. I've been running for a while (short distances). I float a little bit, and currently in the market for a road bike (have a hybrid now).
I'm also a physician, just turned 41. My wife was blessed with being born in shape (and has stayed like that since....I hate her), but likes the gym more than outdoors exercise. 2 boys, 13 and 9.

Another Doc! Awesome! If you can float, you can swim. I'm curious about what sprint you signed up for. But it doesn't matter. We'll get you there with your whole family cheering at the finish line.

Welcome aboard!

2009-12-28 5:13 PM
in reply to: #2580693

User image

Louisiana

twinstrimom - 2009-12-28 3:51 PM Would LOVE to be part this group!!! NAME: Twinstrimom/Mary STORY: I did my first triathlon in 2001 at the age of 35 after losing 80 lbs. To date I have lost a total of 135 lbs and competed in about 15 tri’s, but haven’t competed since 2008. When I first started competing, my goal was to do an IM before or during the year I turned 45, which will be 2011. I work as a 911 dispatcher, which means “shift” work, am back at school to get my nursing or teaching degree - can't decide what I want to be when I grow up - lol. Am a wife and mom to 19 yo daughters who are away at college. My biggest challenge is going to be trying to fit it ALL in!!! I’ve also been the volunteer coordinator for the Deuces Wild Triathlon held in my hometown for the last 6 years. FAMILY STATUS: Married to a wonderful man for the last 25 years. Twin daughters, Chanelle & Janessa, who are 19 and in college. CURRENT TRAINING: Training for some short races and ½ IM in 2010. I’m currently strength training 3 times a week and running. Will be getting back in the pool next month and getting on the trainer since it’s wintertime and really cold!!! THIS YEAR'S RACES: Last race was Tri for the Cure in 2008 2010 RACES: I plan on doing at least 3 shorter races before my ½ IM Mountain Man 70.3 in Flagstaff, AZ in August. WEIGHTLOSS: I would still like to lose about 20 lbs.

Did you say 135#'s lost??? I'm amazed. If you can do that, you can do anything.   I have a 19 y/o daughter in college as well. I know a lot about shift work and how to (1) keep you sanity while your body goes berserk flipping shifts and (2) how to train when your body goes berserk flipping shifts. We'll get you to the finish line without calling 911!

Welcome aboard!

2009-12-28 5:56 PM

Hello -- is there still room in your mentor group?
If so, I would love to join.

My name is Becky, I am 27 years old and a native Oregonian.  My husband and I bought "big kid" bikes this summer, and after swimming competitively in high school -- I thought a triathlon would be a good goal.  I am super nervous and feel a bit in over my head.  Despite my swimming experience I am overweight -- but am really looking for something to become passionate about in order to be healthy inside and out.  

Do you think we could be a good fit? 
2009-12-28 6:22 PM
in reply to: #2580865

User image

Louisiana

beckytengs - 2009-12-28 5:56 PM Hello -- is there still room in your mentor group?
If so, I would love to join.

My name is Becky, I am 27 years old and a native Oregonian.  My husband and I bought "big kid" bikes this summer, and after swimming competitively in high school -- I thought a triathlon would be a good goal.  I am super nervous and feel a bit in over my head.  Despite my swimming experience I am overweight -- but am really looking for something to become passionate about in order to be healthy inside and out.  

Do you think we could be a good fit? 

Welcome Becky to you and maybe even hubby! I think we'll fit like peas and carrots. (yeah, I liked Forest Gump) Swimming is definitely my weakness. I taught myself to swim about 4 years ago. So I'm gonna pick your mind on that one. Triathlon is a wonderful goal! You've got the hard part done. You can swim, so you won't drown, and you believe you can do it. I've got enough passion for us both. Let's get moving!

2009-12-28 6:35 PM
in reply to: #2580810

Regular
Show Low, Arizona
Yep, 135 so far, just 20 more to go!!!!

Thanks for the welcome. I'm going to definately need help with changing shifts, going from days to nights in January.

Mary

2009-12-28 7:02 PM

User image

Champion
Out running or enjoying a fine glass of red...
Hey, there -

I'm in another mentor group, but was wondering if you'd adopt me too?

My name is Kristen, I'm 37, mom of 2 girls (almost 5 & 7), working FT as a law professor (not tenured yet, so still working really hard). I'm crazy busy like the rest of you!

I lost ~60 pounds in 2006-7, started tri-ing in summer 2007, and was generally pretty happy - but this past year I had some tri-related disappointments (hurt before my first mary, DNF'd my first full Oly and was pulled out of the water) as well as some medical issues that helped me put on some weight (no excuses - just reality). My goal for 2010 is to get the weight back off (and then some) as well as get my mojo back for tri's and racing. (And, as a fancy lawyer, I understand you aren't giving medical advice...and I won't give legal advice.)

I'm starting to plan out my spring race schedule to get in the mood, but I'm more excited about getting back on the clean eating train - I got a fancy food scale and a bento lunch box for Christmas and I'm ready to make it happen.
2009-12-28 7:16 PM

Freeland

I would like to join your group. I am in another group but like the focus on weightloss.

Me: jwheat (Jon) Live in Freeland, MI near Saginaw Bay 34 years old

Story: I grew up playing 3 sports, football, basketball and baseball. Played football in college and rugby after.  Got into tri's about 2 years ago, signed up 2 weeks before with no training and finsihed lol.  Just learned how to swim with my face in the water last year and wow what a difference. 

Family: Married 9 yrs with 2 boys 6 and 2.5. 

Current Training: Really not doing anything right now and I am miserable.  Do not know what I am really waiting for (Maybe Jan 1st).  Would like to do about 4 to 8 hours of week.  I work a swing shift and they are 12 hour shifts so soemtimes it is difficult to get motivated.

This years races: I was only able to do 1 sprint tri and some 5 k's.  Had a bag injury that kept me out for about 1.5 months and that was in April and I have not done much since then.

2010 Races: I want to do 3 to 5 races depending on my schedule.  Mostly sprints and maybe an Oylimpic for the last.  I also will do some 5k's and hopefully a 10K and 1/2 marathon.

Weightloss: Currently I am heavier then I have been in a long time (265 lbs). Last winter was down to about 235and after I hurt my back things went down hill.  My goal is to reach about 220 to 210 by my b-day (June 10, is that realalistic?)

Focus 2010: Build a core training program and stick to it as well as some kind of nutritional plan (need help). 

Thanks
Jon

2009-12-28 7:33 PM

I'd like to jump in too, if there's room.  I have no other group and there aren't many still open!

Name:  Kim

Story:  I'll be 31 this year.  I'm getting married in August and am wanting to drop some pounds before then.  My mom is struggling with a lot of heart problems from bad habits in her youth, and I don't want to follow in her footsteps.  I live in Chicago and am hoping to sign up for the women's triathlon out in Naperville.  I'm an actuary and planning a wedding, so my time is at a huge premium, but I think this is important enough to make time for. 

Family:  I live with my FH in Chicago. 

Current training:  I'm an avid spinner at the gym, and I can hold my own on a treadmill, but I have no real experience in this stuff.  Planning to do the 22 week program before the tri in June.

2009-12-28 7:37 PM
in reply to: #2580945

User image

Louisiana

enders_shadow - 2009-12-28 7:02 PM Hey, there - I'm in another mentor group, but was wondering if you'd adopt me too? My name is Kristen, I'm 37, mom of 2 girls (almost 5 & 7), working FT as a law professor (not tenured yet, so still working really hard). I'm crazy busy like the rest of you! I lost ~60 pounds in 2006-7, started tri-ing in summer 2007, and was generally pretty happy - but this past year I had some tri-related disappointments (hurt before my first mary, DNF'd my first full Oly and was pulled out of the water) as well as some medical issues that helped me put on some weight (no excuses - just reality). My goal for 2010 is to get the weight back off (and then some) as well as get my mojo back for tri's and racing. (And, as a fancy lawyer, I understand you aren't giving medical advice...and I won't give legal advice.) I'm starting to plan out my spring race schedule to get in the mood, but I'm more excited about getting back on the clean eating train - I got a fancy food scale and a bento lunch box for Christmas and I'm ready to make it happen.

Kriten, have we got the group for you!  We're all about tri'ing, and losing along the "weigh". You've already dropped 60#'s. You've done it before, you can do it again. I'm a member of the DNF club too! There's no better role model for your girls than one of health.  And as a "fancy lawyer" maybe you can keep me out of trouble. Sometimes my heart speaks before my head engages. OK, you're gonna figure this out pretty soon, anyway, but I'm pretty rural here. Sooooo what's a bento lunch box? We have brown bags, lunch boxes, lunch pails, Wal-mart bags with lunch fixings, but I'm not so sure about a bento lunch box. Fill me in sister.

Anyway, welcome counselor!

2009-12-28 7:51 PM
in reply to: #2580964

User image

Louisiana

jwheat - 2009-12-28 7:16 PM

I would like to join your group. I am in another group but like the focus on weightloss.

Me: jwheat (Jon) Live in Freeland, MI near Saginaw Bay 34 years old

Story: I grew up playing 3 sports, football, basketball and baseball. Played football in college and rugby after.  Got into tri's about 2 years ago, signed up 2 weeks before with no training and finsihed lol.  Just learned how to swim with my face in the water last year and wow what a difference. 

Family: Married 9 yrs with 2 boys 6 and 2.5. 

Current Training: Really not doing anything right now and I am miserable.  Do not know what I am really waiting for (Maybe Jan 1st).  Would like to do about 4 to 8 hours of week.  I work a swing shift and they are 12 hour shifts so soemtimes it is difficult to get motivated.

This years races: I was only able to do 1 sprint tri and some 5 k's.  Had a bag injury that kept me out for about 1.5 months and that was in April and I have not done much since then.

2010 Races: I want to do 3 to 5 races depending on my schedule.  Mostly sprints and maybe an Oylimpic for the last.  I also will do some 5k's and hopefully a 10K and 1/2 marathon.

Weightloss: Currently I am heavier then I have been in a long time (265 lbs). Last winter was down to about 235and after I hurt my back things went down hill.  My goal is to reach about 220 to 210 by my b-day (June 10, is that realalistic?)

Focus 2010: Build a core training program and stick to it as well as some kind of nutritional plan (need help). 

Thanks
Jon

Welcome to Jon from Saginaw Bay! I'll bet it's darn cold there tonite! Yes I think your goal is realistic. We're all about health here, so you've found a great group. Swing shift??? ARRRRRGH! I hate swing shift.  But I'll be your biggest support, and make sure you get enough sleep, the bain of swing-shift workers. Ya gotta sleep man! We'll get you motivated and thin in 2010!

Glad to have ya, man!

2009-12-28 7:58 PM
in reply to: #2580991

User image

Louisiana

Kimmerz321 - 2009-12-28 7:33 PM I'd like to jump in too, if there's room.  I have no other group and there aren't many still open!

Name:  Kim

Story:  I'll be 31 this year.  I'm getting married in August and am wanting to drop some pounds before then.  My mom is struggling with a lot of heart problems from bad habits in her youth, and I don't want to follow in her footsteps.  I live in Chicago and am hoping to sign up for the women's triathlon out in Naperville.  I'm an actuary and planning a wedding, so my time is at a huge premium, but I think this is important enough to make time for. 

Family:  I live with my FH in Chicago. 

Current training:  I'm an avid spinner at the gym, and I can hold my own on a treadmill, but I have no real experience in this stuff.  Planning to do the 22 week program before the tri in June.

Welcome Kim! Glad you chose us, even if it was by default! You're our first bride. What better way to avoid heart disease than healthy eating and fitness. Sounds like you're well on your way with spinning and treadmill work. I can help you avoid some of the pitfalls along the way. ( I've stepped in them all.) Sign up for Naperville. You're in!

2009-12-28 8:05 PM

New user
Hi my name is Carol and I am despirately looking for a mentor group to get involved with  I am 60 work 3-11 at a hospital and would love to train for my first marathon if nothing else.  I live in a very small town in Florida and do not have access to a lot of facilities.  There is a public indoor pool in town, and I have access to the rehab center where I work for free with all the machines.  I am currently very out of shape, 5'2" 145lbs and do not even walk any more.  I have mapped out a route on the site in my neighborhood, but can"t seem to get up and do it.  I am getting very depressed over this and consequently this has affected my eating habits.  I am going to start eating better as much as possible though everything is so expensive and money is a problem.  But something is better than nothing.  Fruits and veggies are what I lack most and am a junk food junkie.  If your group is still open I would love to join and get my butt off the couch and make this a priority and just do it
                                                          Hope to hear back
                                                               Carol
2009-12-28 8:30 PM
in reply to: #2580801

User image

Veteran
Lancaster, PA
It's the "Got Nerve Triathlon", Mt Gretna, PA. I think it's 500 yds, 16 miles, 5K. Enough Stress Test for me right now.Hoping to be able to do the"Nation's Triathlon" (Oly) in DC in the fall. We'll see how it goes.
2009-12-28 8:32 PM

Freeland
That is one of my biggest problems is I do not get nearly enough sleep when I work my midnight shift. Generally 3-5 hours and I beleive that this affects my eating habits tremendously.  To tired to cook.  It is getting down to 10 tongiht.  Good thing I do not work outside.  We are actually having a weight loss contest in my building starting Jan1 to April 1.  Total percentage lost, winner takes all (don't tell management lol).  So that will help with motivation.  Thanks for having me. 
2009-12-28 8:36 PM
in reply to: #2581049

User image

Louisiana
Subject: RE: Twylite's Trying for weight loss group CLOSED

Youngatheart - 2009-12-28 8:05 PM Hi my name is Carol and I am despirately looking for a mentor group to get involved with  I am 60 work 3-11 at a hospital and would love to train for my first marathon if nothing else.  I live in a very small town in Florida and do not have access to a lot of facilities.  There is a public indoor pool in town, and I have access to the rehab center where I work for free with all the machines.  I am currently very out of shape, 5'2" 145lbs and do not even walk any more.  I have mapped out a route on the site in my neighborhood, but can"t seem to get up and do it.  I am getting very depressed over this and consequently this has affected my eating habits.  I am going to start eating better as much as possible though everything is so expensive and money is a problem.  But something is better than nothing.  Fruits and veggies are what I lack most and am a junk food junkie.  If your group is still open I would love to join and get my butt off the couch and make this a priority and just do it
                                                          Hope to hear back
                                                               Carol

Carol, Welcome! I'm Carol, too. Of course you're in. I just coached / encouraged my 65-yr-old sister-in-law to complete not only her first tri, but she just finished her first 1/2 marathon. You can't live in a smaller map dot than I do, so whatever you dream is possible. We'll all hold each other accountable, including me! Hospitals can be so darn unhealthy places to visit and work. But we'll get you moving on your route soon.

From one Carol to another...let's get moving!

Edited by twylite148 2009-12-28 8:48 PM

2009-12-28 8:38 PM

I hope this group is still open! I can relate to your story, Twylite. I feel like this would be the perfect group for me! I'm 30 and a personal trainer, though I've never considered myself an endurance athlete. I was a swimmer as a kid from 7-14 and I always knocked out 50+ miles (stop and go) in the bike-a-thon in high school/jr high. I was in the army for a year (got out due to back problems) and we ran and ran and ran--but I've never combined all three disciplines. I'm very excited about completing my first Sprint triathlon this year.

I am contemplating signing up for the Morgan Hill Sprint in May (3/4m swim, 16m bike, 5m run) and I'm definitely signing up for the Silicon Valley Sprint in June (500yard swim, 10m bike, 3.1m run). I'd also like to do another in July and August, as well as some runs to finish up the season.

I am training myself and have a trainer and tri coach (non-paid, pro bono help from trainers at work) and I'm sinking myself into the world of triathletes to train seriously so that I finish my triathlons ready for more. I would love to be part of this group and I admire the achievements and goals of everyone here.
2009-12-28 8:42 PM
in reply to: #2581082

User image

Louisiana

guticur - 2009-12-28 8:30 PM It's the "Got Nerve Triathlon", Mt Gretna, PA. I think it's 500 yds, 16 miles, 5K. Enough Stress Test for me right now.Hoping to be able to do the"Nation's Triathlon" (Oly) in DC in the fall. We'll see how it goes.

I love the name of that tri! Sounds like it should be fun, and probably has a great T-shirt. I'll have to look up Mt. Gretna, PA.

2009-12-28 8:46 PM
in reply to: #2581085

User image

Louisiana

jwheat - 2009-12-28 8:32 PM That is one of my biggest problems is I do not get nearly enough sleep when I work my midnight shift. Generally 3-5 hours and I beleive that this affects my eating habits tremendously.  To tired to cook.  It is getting down to 10 tongiht.  Good thing I do not work outside.  We are actually having a weight loss contest in my building starting Jan1 to April 1.  Total percentage lost, winner takes all (don't tell management lol).  So that will help with motivation.  Thanks for having me. 

How did I know you didn't sleep? From experience. You're exactly right about the eating problem with late shifts. It's more than willpower...it's physiologic. We can work on that. Love the work challenge! 10 degrees bites! I'll take 110 over 10 any day.

2009-12-28 8:52 PM
in reply to: #2581095

User image

Louisiana

genie4today - 2009-12-28 8:38 PM I hope this group is still open! I can relate to your story, Twylite. I feel like this would be the perfect group for me! I'm 30 and a personal trainer, though I've never considered myself an endurance athlete. I was a swimmer as a kid from 7-14 and I always knocked out 50+ miles (stop and go) in the bike-a-thon in high school/jr high. I was in the army for a year (got out due to back problems) and we ran and ran and ran--but I've never combined all three disciplines. I'm very excited about completing my first Sprint triathlon this year.

I am contemplating signing up for the Morgan Hill Sprint in May (3/4m swim, 16m bike, 5m run) and I'm definitely signing up for the Silicon Valley Sprint in June (500yard swim, 10m bike, 3.1m run). I'd also like to do another in July and August, as well as some runs to finish up the season.

I am training myself and have a trainer and tri coach (non-paid, pro bono help from trainers at work) and I'm sinking myself into the world of triathletes to train seriously so that I finish my triathlons ready for more. I would love to be part of this group and I admire the achievements and goals of everyone here.

Well, Genie, you popped out of the bottle just in time. I just closed us. Welcome and we'll count on you for some training tips. Sounds like you're quite an athlete already. We'll keep you jazzed up for tri after tri, and I'll personally make sure you don't burn out along the way. I can't wait to see your finish photo!!

Welcome along!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Twylite's Trying for weight loss group CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 12