BT Development Mentor Program Archives » PirateGirl's "Let's Get Dirty!" Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 7

2009-12-28 11:46 AM

User image

Elite
Tucson, AZ
Subject: PirateGirl's "Let's Get Dirty!" Group - CLOSED

CURRENT LIST OF OUR GROUP MEMBERS:
PirateGirl - Elaine (mentor)
Youngatheart - Carol
krescent - Krescent
Nimue - Jessie
SGeranium - Christine
swgraham - Sandi
carol5133 - Carol
jae.miles - Jessica
Denverjess - Jess
Dene - Nadine
trainforacure - Carol

NAME: PirateGirl / Elaine

STORY:
I'm going to be 33 in February, and this will be my 6th season of triathlon. I started in 2004 and logged onto this site to train for my first race, so everything is in my BT logs since the beginning. After the first sprint race I was hooked and signed up for my second sprint the following month. Over the years I've progressed through each distance, and in 2007 I attempted Ironman Arizona (IMAZ), but the 30-40 mph winds on the bike were too much and I missed the bike cutoff by 6 minutes. That was a tough DNF to swallow, but with the help of BT I picked myself up and went at it again to finish. I signed up for 2008 and spent another year training and this time finished IMAZ in 2008. I didn't get hooked on the IM race distance, and instead went back to my true love of mountain biking and the XTERRA off-road triathlon series. My focus now is on XTERRA. I've done a lot of races in the western region, and this year I'm training for XTERRA Saipan with the hope of qualifying for the world championships on Maui. The vibe at XTERRA races are so much different than road triathlons, and I really love it. In between XTERRA tris I do a lot of mountain biking and trail running. If you are into dirt, then I'm your girl! You can also learn more about me here: http://azpirategirl.blogspot.com/

FAMILY STATUS: 
Married to my husband, Zac, for 10 years, and we have no kids. He also mountain bikes and last year I convinced him to try trail running.

CURRENT TRAINING:
I tend to do this sport in waves. 2008 I was highly focused on Ironman training. After the race I took time off from "focused" training. So 2009 I kind of swam, biked, and ran when I felt like it to give myself a mental break, but still entered races because they push me to keep active and I love to race. The break is over now and my "A" race is XTERRA Saipan. I wanted to show up to this race as prepared as possible, so for the first time ever I've hired a coach to develop the training plan to get there. There really aren't any XTERRA training plans out there like there are for the other triathlon distances, so a custom plan was the way to go. I did a lot of research before settling on the coach that I chose, and 10 weeks into the training I'm really happy with the decision. So for the next few months I'm back to my highly focused training and following whatever the coach gives me for a plan.

THIS YEAR'S RACES:

In 2009 I did a local sprint tri series, did the mountain bike sprint series, a trail run series, and a couple of endurance mountain bike events (12 and 24 hour). For the XTERRA series I did: XTERRA Del Valle (CA), XTERRA West Championship Las Vegas (NV), XTERRA Deuces Wild (AZ), XTERRA Four Corners (NM).

2010 RACES: 
XTERRA Saipan - 3/13/10. Goal: Qualify in my age group for Maui. If not, no big deal as racing on an island like Saipan will be great.

XTERRA King of the Hill (NJ) - 5/16/10. Goal: Have fun. I may be in the area for training for work, so this could be a boondoggle trip to fit another race in.

XTERRA Deuces Wild (AZ) - 6/6/10. Goal: Podium in my age group. I've been chasing this goal for awhile now on this race course.

XTERRA Tahoe City (CA) - 6/26/10. Goal: Have fun and enjoy the Lake Tahoe course. After the race my husband and I are spending a week to do some downhill mountain biking at Northstar, Downieville, Bootleg Canyon, etc.

XTERRA DINO, either Versailles or Logansport (IN). Tentative race as my husband's family is in the area so we may plan a trip to visit them and then hit one of these races. I love attending a different XTERRA event each year.

And more trail runs, mountain bike races, spint tris, etc throughout the year.

WEIGHTLOSS: 
I'm in the "normal" range for my gender and height. I tend to fluctuate +/- 10 lbs depending on where I'm at in the season. I can't be at race weight all the time, and I'm ok with moving up a few lbs in the off-season. I've tried to not get neurotic about my eating. I have a sugar tooth, which doesn't help. I've been vegetarian for 19 years, so that does help.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOR:
I've been a mentor in the past, and still keep in touch with some of the folks here on BT via the logs. I learn something different each time around, and this time I'm going to keep our thread active with triathlon tips that I've picked up over the years to help fill in the "down time" when we have a lull in questions/discussions. I'm on BT everyday, so once the group gets going I WILL be watching you.  Everyone is welcome to the group, no matter the experience level or goals you have. And if you have an interest in XTERRA off-road triathlons, mountain biking, or trail running, then I think we'd be a great fit. Over the 6 years of doing this sport I've experienced everything from DNF to regional champoinship, and I'd love to share anything that may help you on your triathlon journey.

FOR THE MENTEES:
What I've found from past BT mentor experiences is that it helps if the mentees are active in using the BT logs and help keep the mentor thread going. The mentors are here for you, so please use us! Feel free to ask ANYTHING about the sport in the mentor thread, and we will discuss it. I may not have the answers, but someone in our group might, or we can research it together.

I think we will have a great 3 months together! Now who's ready to get their hands dirty and get started?

Edited by PirateGirl 2009-12-30 4:50 PM

2009-12-29 10:00 AM
in reply to: #2580219

User image

Elite
Tucson, AZ
Subject: RE: PirateGirl's "Let's Get Dirty!" Group - OPEN
Just got the note the group is open and ready to go. We are 3 days away from the New Year...let's get started!
2009-12-29 10:51 AM

New user
I would love to get down and dirty with you.  My name is Carol and I am 60  Looking for a group to get serious with to get in shape to at least do a marathon  always wanted to do this its my goal for the new year  please help me achieve this
2009-12-29 11:06 AM
in reply to: #2581987

User image

Elite
Tucson, AZ
Youngatheart - 2009-12-29 7:51 AM I would love to get down and dirty with you.  My name is Carol and I am 60  Looking for a group to get serious with to get in shape to at least do a marathon  always wanted to do this its my goal for the new year  please help me achieve this

Welcome to the group Carol! I love your BT username.

We can definitely help you kick off the new year here on BT. It's great to you already have a fitness goal in mind for 2010.

So tell me more about yourself...did you come from a swim, bike, or run background? I saw in your profile your interests include outdoor activities and water sports, so I was wondering which activities you like to do.
2009-12-29 1:40 PM

New user

I would love to join your group. My name is Krescent, I live in Houston, Texas and I will be 40 this March. I completed 3 Sprint Triathalons last year, however I really didn't train. I ran some and biked some before hand, but had not swam since the summer before the first Tri I did in April. I'm not going to lie, the swim was a bit overwhelming. Especially since it was in Galveston Bay and I had never practiced open water swimming.  Living in a large city there are not too many lakes near by to practice. 
     This year I am ready to get serious. I am not so much concerned with racing the other triathaletes, as racing myself to improve.  Running is my most difficult area. I usually tend to walk most of the 5k, but I walk fast.
     Last year I just "winged it" but would love some guidance on a training program that starts out simple and builds upon that. I am about 10-15 lbs heavier that I would like to be, and should get out there and excercize more. Please Help!

Thanks,
Krescent
2009-12-29 3:08 PM

Hey Your group sounds awesome.
My name is Jessie and I am 26.  I am in upstate, NY and work as an analyst in law enforcement. 
I have been a sort of casual athlete and gym go-er for most of my adult life.  I played soccer in high school, did nothing in college, and got really crazy about doing classes at the gym in my early 20s.  I bought a bike and joined a cycle club last year and I love it.  But, its not really enough, since all I do is ride 4 times a week.  My strength will be the ride.  So, I have always wanted to do this and have never had the guts.  I decided this is my year.  I have done a lot of group cycling, and have run races, but I am a really poor swimmer.  So that is my biggest fear.  Not just the swim, but even getting into the pool to train.  I know that if I put effort into I can do this, but I am not a natural athlete and need all the advice an encouragement I can get.  I have no idea what I am doing!

Edited by Nimue 2009-12-29 3:10 PM

2009-12-29 6:01 PM
in reply to: #2582437

User image

Elite
Tucson, AZ
krescent - 2009-12-29 10:40 AM      I would love to join your group. My name is Krescent, I live in Houston, Texas and I will be 40 this March. I completed 3 Sprint Triathalons last year, however I really didn't train. I ran some and biked some before hand, but had not swam since the summer before the first Tri I did in April. I'm not going to lie, the swim was a bit overwhelming. Especially since it was in Galveston Bay and I had never practiced open water swimming.  Living in a large city there are not too many lakes near by to practice. 
     This year I am ready to get serious. I am not so much concerned with racing the other triathaletes, as racing myself to improve.  Running is my most difficult area. I usually tend to walk most of the 5k, but I walk fast.
     Last year I just "winged it" but would love some guidance on a training program that starts out simple and builds upon that. I am about 10-15 lbs heavier that I would like to be, and should get out there and excercize more. Please Help!

Thanks,
Krescent

Welcome to our group Krescent! I know what you mean about the swim part as Tucson is the same way...all the lakes are a drive to get to to even practice open water swimming. Congrats on surviving Galveston Bay! I've only done a few ocean swims and they feel exactly like that..."survival."

Good to hear you are looking for a plan to follow. That will definitely help with reaching your goal of wanting to see improvement. There are several BT plans here that are free, and provide a good first step in following "structured" training. We can dig through what is available here and see if something will fit what you need. Do you have a key race in mind (an "A" race) that you'd like to train for in 2010? If a tri you want to do is several months away, there are also running-focused plans on here that you can do to help kick start the running, and then lead into a tri training plan.
2009-12-29 6:07 PM

I would love to join your group.  I haven't been nearly quick enough for the other girl groups.   

I did my first tri this past September.  It was a sprint.  I loved it.  It made me want to do more, longer,  and faster. 

I am happily  married with two sons 5 and 11.  Our family extra curricular schedule is ridiculous.  This gets in the way of my personal goals sometimes.

I'm pretty goal centered so I'm having a hard time without an immediate deadline in front of me, I thinking using the logs here will be a great tool along with a bit of group accountability. 

My 2010 goals are to do a half mary, the sprint I did last year and at least one Oly, and a 200 mile bicylcle ride in two days  with my dh .  A half Iron is my long term goal.   I'm also trying to lose some weight to make this all easier.     

Thanks for doing this ,

Christine

2009-12-29 6:13 PM
in reply to: #2582607

User image

Elite
Tucson, AZ
Nimue - 2009-12-29 12:08 PM Hey Your group sounds awesome.
My name is Jessie and I am 26.  I am in upstate, NY and work as an analyst in law enforcement. 
I have been a sort of casual athlete and gym go-er for most of my adult life.  I played soccer in high school, did nothing in college, and got really crazy about doing classes at the gym in my early 20s.  I bought a bike and joined a cycle club last year and I love it.  But, its not really enough, since all I do is ride 4 times a week.  My strength will be the ride.  So, I have always wanted to do this and have never had the guts.  I decided this is my year.  I have done a lot of group cycling, and have run races, but I am a really poor swimmer.  So that is my biggest fear.  Not just the swim, but even getting into the pool to train.  I know that if I put effort into I can do this, but I am not a natural athlete and need all the advice an encouragement I can get.  I have no idea what I am doing!

Welcome aboard Jessie! This is definitely your year!

I didn't swim at all when I decided to do my first tri. I had read Sally Edward's book "Triathlons for Women" in August one year, and decided I wanted to do one and found there was one in my city in October. I went to a city pool and my first swim workout was 15 minutes and consisted of swimming a total of 200 yards by doing 25 yards and resting at the end for a long time. It takes awhile to develop the swimming lungs. Over the months I worked my way up to 800 yards, which was the race distance and after that I knew I could at least survive the swim. But for the first tri I was nervous about doing all 3 sports, one right after the other. Luckily you'll be getting the swim done first. Then it will be all downhill from there for you.

Are there any swim lessons in your area? Sometimes there are community classes that colleges offer that focus on stroke development for brand new swimmers. Instruction is the best way to go when starting out, because swimming is all about good form which makes you efficient in the water. Right now you don't have any bad habits to undo, so it's the perfect time to get some help on the basics of the freestyle stroke. There are also a lot of Youtube videos out there that help break it down, but it's easier if someone is there to watch you and show you what to do. Don't worry about flipturns right now though. That will come later.
2009-12-29 6:21 PM
in reply to: #2582912

User image

Elite
Tucson, AZ
SGeranium - 2009-12-29 3:07 PM I would love to join your group.  I haven't been nearly quick enough for the other girl groups.   

I did my first tri this past September.  It was a sprint.  I loved it.  It made me want to do more, longer,  and faster. 

I am happily  married with two sons 5 and 11.  Our family extra curricular schedule is ridiculous.  This gets in the way of my personal goals sometimes.

I'm pretty goal centered so I'm having a hard time without an immediate deadline in front of me, I thinking using the logs here will be a great tool along with a bit of group accountability. 

My 2010 goals are to do a half mary, the sprint I did last year and at least one Oly, and a 200 mile bicylcle ride in two days  with my dh .  A half Iron is my long term goal.   I'm also trying to lose some weight to make this all easier.     

Thanks for doing this ,

Christine

Welcome Christine! Congrats on finishing your first sprint! Sounds like you are definitely hooked, and it's great you already have an idea of the races you want to do next year. The ride with the hubby sounds very cool!

The logs here are a great tool, and it may help with the planning for your training. You may need to get extra creative fitting the training you want to do in around all the extracurricular activities. Even if it's a short run here and there, often times it's better than nothing. Your car may become a locker room if it isn't already.
2009-12-29 7:33 PM

User image

Veteran
Hillsboro, OR
Hi PirateGirl/Elaine:

I would like to join your group. A little about me:

NAME: My name is Sandi, I live in the Portland OR metro area and will turn 52 in 2010.

STORY: I started doing triathlons in 2006. I'm slow but have a reasonable amount of stamina and have been able to complete all of the races I have started. The first year I did sprint distances only. In 2007, I also did several Oly distances. In 2009, I only did 1 sprint distance race. Work got a little out of control in June and I was working 12 hours a day 7 days a week until the middle of September. Then I took some time off and have been trying to get re-motivated to start training again, but have not been very successful at that. I have gained 15 pounds since May and know that I need to get back into a regular exercise regime in order to lose what I have gained. I volunteer for a local animal rescue organization and I am on their Board of Directors. 

FAMILY: I am married (17 years) and my dogs are my kids. We have 9 dogs of our own and are currently fostering 3 rescue dogs. 4 of our 9 dogs are rescue dogs that we have adopted. Our 9 dogs are: 10 yr old Brown Lab, 10 yr old Husky, 5 yr old German Shorthaired pointer,  2 English Pointers (4 yrs old and 2 yrs old). And 4 Basset Hounds (all rescues): 13 yrs old, 7 yrs old, 4 yrs old and 3 yrs old. Our current foster dogs are Presley - a 2 year old Hound mix, Tootsie - a 3 yr old Beagle mix, and BoBo - a 3 yr old Basset Hound mix.

TRAINING: Nothing since the summer, so I need to get my act together here.

2010 GOALS:  A sprint distance and an olympic distance triathlon.

2009-12-29 7:49 PM

Hi Elaine! I would love to join your group.

About Me:
My name is Carol. I am 35 and a first grade teacher in Omaha, NE. My husband and I have been married about 5 years and have no children.

My Training/Background:
Over the past 2 years I've completed 5 half-marathons and have come to enjoy running and road racing (only tried one trail race so far). I am not fast, but have endurance and determination. I am a big girl...fat and fit...and enjoy breaking a sweat. I usually have no troubles hitting the gym and logging miles...my bugaboo is always eating. I haven't been on a bike or in the water for several years, so I am a total beginner in those areas.

My Goals:
I want to try triathalon! I'm in the process of picking my first race and targeting early summer. I found a training plan on BT that looks doable...gonna give it a whirl starting next week. I also know that I need to be consistent in logging my nutrition. I want to challenge myself and finish something big (at least big for me).

Thank you for mentoring! I'm excited to learn from you and the other gals in our group.

2009-12-29 8:09 PM

User image

Twin Falls, ID (not from here, I just live here)
Can I still join!

STORY:
I'm a 25y/o teacher living in small town eastern Idaho. Originally from Seattle. Big change there! I first decided to do a triathlon last while volunteering at the IM Boise in 2008. Watching the athletes cross the finish line was especially moving, and I thought, "Hey! I could do that!" I signed up for a mentor group last year as a way to help motivate me. I started training, and completed a sprint tri in August of '09. Since then, I moved to a new town, started my first full time teaching job, and have been working out irregularly. The last 6 weeks or so I've started to return focus to being active, but have yet to pick a race to train for. I really need that date set in my head to help motivate me at the gym.

FAMILY STATUS: 
Single.

CURRENT TRAINING:
I planned on taking a bit off after my first race, to accomodate life changes and such, and unfortunately haven't returned to a full time training routine. I do go to a few classes at the gym, Zumba, a Muslce tone class, and spinning, but that's been about it. I was a swimmer when I was young, and the .25mile swim in the sprint tri this last summer didn't phase me at all even though I had spent maybe 10 miles in the lake swimming. The bike is fun for me, and I've started spinning classes to build endurance while the snow piles up outside. Running is my weakness, so I try to spend a few days a week running but unfortunately haven't focused on it much lately. Having the help of the mentor group helps keep me accountable in my training times!

THIS YEAR'S RACES:

Emmett's Most Excellent Triathlon- sprint distance, 08/09

2010 RACES: 
I haven't picked any yet, though I would like to do at least one sprint, one Olympic length, and some 5K runs.

WEIGHTLOSS:
I'm definitely overweight, at 5'10" and somewhere around 280 lbs. I lost a little weight while training this past year, but have gained at least part of it back. I liked training so hardcore because it gave me a reason to eat, and eat good things. I was starving all the time! In a different, your-body-need-nutrients way. I'm lactose intolerant, so I play around with vegan and raw diets, though can't seem to give up turkey. For me, because I've never been advised to lose weight for health reasons by a doctor, weightloss is an extra bonus. I would like to make it more of a focus this season, however, but measure my success on completing the races I sign up for.

I'm excited to train this year with you all! Good luck!
2009-12-29 8:10 PM
in reply to: #2583080

User image

Twin Falls, ID (not from here, I just live here)
Oops! My name is jae.miles/Jessica. I forgot to change it in the original post!

jae.miles - 2009-12-29 7:09 PM Can I still join!

2009-12-29 8:12 PM

Hi! Is there still room in your group?
My name is Jessica and did my first sprint tri this past year. I'm hoping to do one or two more sprints this summer and am also thinking about trying the xterra buffalo creek. I love to mountain bike and trail run and would love to hear more about these types of races. I wasn't sure how newbie friendly they were and that's probably my one hesistitation and of course the trail itself
I'd love to be part of this group. let me know if I'm in!
Jess
2009-12-29 9:33 PM
in reply to: #2583038

User image

Elite
Tucson, AZ
swgraham - 2009-12-29 4:33 PM Hi PirateGirl/Elaine:

I would like to join your group. A little about me:

NAME: My name is Sandi, I live in the Portland OR metro area and will turn 52 in 2010.

STORY: I started doing triathlons in 2006. I'm slow but have a reasonable amount of stamina and have been able to complete all of the races I have started. The first year I did sprint distances only. In 2007, I also did several Oly distances. In 2009, I only did 1 sprint distance race. Work got a little out of control in June and I was working 12 hours a day 7 days a week until the middle of September. Then I took some time off and have been trying to get re-motivated to start training again, but have not been very successful at that. I have gained 15 pounds since May and know that I need to get back into a regular exercise regime in order to lose what I have gained. I volunteer for a local animal rescue organization and I am on their Board of Directors. 

FAMILY: I am married (17 years) and my dogs are my kids. We have 9 dogs of our own and are currently fostering 3 rescue dogs. 4 of our 9 dogs are rescue dogs that we have adopted. Our 9 dogs are: 10 yr old Brown Lab, 10 yr old Husky, 5 yr old German Shorthaired pointer,  2 English Pointers (4 yrs old and 2 yrs old). And 4 Basset Hounds (all rescues): 13 yrs old, 7 yrs old, 4 yrs old and 3 yrs old. Our current foster dogs are Presley - a 2 year old Hound mix, Tootsie - a 3 yr old Beagle mix, and BoBo - a 3 yr old Basset Hound mix.

TRAINING: Nothing since the summer, so I need to get my act together here.

2010 GOALS:  A sprint distance and an olympic distance triathlon.

Hi Sandi! Welcome to our group!

Stamina is the name of the game in multisport and you have it. As a group we'll help kickstart 2010 and do whatever we can to help motivate each other to stay on the exercise and training bandwagon.

Wow you sure do have a lot of fur kids! That is awesome! My husband and I have 2 rescued greyhounds that we've had for 10 years. They are old lady dogs now but I feel good knowing we saved them from the racetrack. What you and your husband do for the animals to give them good homes is amazing and I'm sure they appreciate it.

2009-12-29 9:43 PM
in reply to: #2583058

User image

Elite
Tucson, AZ
carol5133 - 2009-12-29 4:49 PM Hi Elaine! I would love to join your group.

About Me:
My name is Carol. I am 35 and a first grade teacher in Omaha, NE. My husband and I have been married about 5 years and have no children.

My Training/Background:
Over the past 2 years I've completed 5 half-marathons and have come to enjoy running and road racing (only tried one trail race so far). I am not fast, but have endurance and determination. I am a big girl...fat and fit...and enjoy breaking a sweat. I usually have no troubles hitting the gym and logging miles...my bugaboo is always eating. I haven't been on a bike or in the water for several years, so I am a total beginner in those areas.

My Goals:
I want to try triathalon! I'm in the process of picking my first race and targeting early summer. I found a training plan on BT that looks doable...gonna give it a whirl starting next week. I also know that I need to be consistent in logging my nutrition. I want to challenge myself and finish something big (at least big for me).

Thank you for mentoring! I'm excited to learn from you and the other gals in our group.

Hi Carol! Glad you could join us for our 2010 group!

Wow...5 half marathons is amazing! I wish I could learn to love running that much. I'm still working on it so maybe someday.

I think you'll really like triathlon and you already have a great start. The BT plans are great for giving structure to training. If you can, when you pick your plan load it into the "planned" training of your blog (the plan should have detailed instructions how). That way it's all automatically there each week waiting for you, and you can look ahead or review what's been done as needed. In the past when I've followed BT plans, I could rarely get them to line up with my schedule. So for each week I would just shuffle them around to get them to fit. I was still doing the same weekly workouts on the plan, just in a different order. I just had to be sure not to do crazy stuff like put the big ride and run workouts on the same day. But if you're able to get the plan to fit your schedule as-is, that's great!
2009-12-29 9:48 PM

New user

I would love to join your group.

I am 37 and live in Northern British Columbia.  I have 3 very active teenagers that usually keep me fairly exhausted. Laughing  Last year my 2 sisters signed up for a 1/2 marathon and they encouraged me to try the 8K road race.  Although I can't quite admit it to them, I liked it.  This year they talked me into competing in my first sprint triathlon and will need all the help I can get.

2009-12-29 9:51 PM
in reply to: #2583080

User image

Elite
Tucson, AZ
jae.miles - 2009-12-29 5:09 PM Can I still join!
NAME: jae.miles/Jessica

STORY:
I'm a 25y/o teacher living in small town eastern Idaho. Originally from Seattle. Big change there! I first decided to do a triathlon last while volunteering at the IM Boise in 2008. Watching the athletes cross the finish line was especially moving, and I thought, "Hey! I could do that!" I signed up for a mentor group last year as a way to help motivate me. I started training, and completed a sprint tri in August of '09. Since then, I moved to a new town, started my first full time teaching job, and have been working out irregularly. The last 6 weeks or so I've started to return focus to being active, but have yet to pick a race to train for. I really need that date set in my head to help motivate me at the gym.

FAMILY STATUS: 
Single.

CURRENT TRAINING:
I planned on taking a bit off after my first race, to accomodate life changes and such, and unfortunately haven't returned to a full time training routine. I do go to a few classes at the gym, Zumba, a Muslce tone class, and spinning, but that's been about it. I was a swimmer when I was young, and the .25mile swim in the sprint tri this last summer didn't phase me at all even though I had spent maybe 10 miles in the lake swimming. The bike is fun for me, and I've started spinning classes to build endurance while the snow piles up outside. Running is my weakness, so I try to spend a few days a week running but unfortunately haven't focused on it much lately. Having the help of the mentor group helps keep me accountable in my training times!

THIS YEAR'S RACES:

Emmett's Most Excellent Triathlon- sprint distance, 08/09

2010 RACES: 
I haven't picked any yet, though I would like to do at least one sprint, one Olympic length, and some 5K runs.

WEIGHTLOSS:
I'm definitely overweight, at 5'10" and somewhere around 280 lbs. I lost a little weight while training this past year, but have gained at least part of it back. I liked training so hardcore because it gave me a reason to eat, and eat good things. I was starving all the time! In a different, your-body-need-nutrients way. I'm lactose intolerant, so I play around with vegan and raw diets, though can't seem to give up turkey. For me, because I've never been advised to lose weight for health reasons by a doctor, weightloss is an extra bonus. I would like to make it more of a focus this season, however, but measure my success on completing the races I sign up for.

I'm excited to train this year with you all! Good luck!

Welcome to our group, Jessica!

I hear you about needing a race date to stay motivated in working out and training. I'm the exact same way. Otherwise I find it too easy to say "I'll exercise tomorrow" and then I don't when tomorrow comes. But once I send my money in for a race, everything changes. Funny how that is!

It sounds like life is getting a bit more back to normal after your move, which is great! As a group we'll do all that we can to help keep each other accountable.
2009-12-29 9:56 PM
in reply to: #2583085

User image

Elite
Tucson, AZ
Denverjess - 2009-12-29 5:12 PM Hi! Is there still room in your group?
My name is Jessica and did my first sprint tri this past year. I'm hoping to do one or two more sprints this summer and am also thinking about trying the xterra buffalo creek. I love to mountain bike and trail run and would love to hear more about these types of races. I wasn't sure how newbie friendly they were and that's probably my one hesistitation and of course the trail itself
I'd love to be part of this group. let me know if I'm in!
Jess

Hi Jess! Welcome!

Great to hear you love to mountain bike and trail run. I think you'll like the XTERRA tris. They are definitely challenging and a lot of work, but if you love the trails they can be a ton of fun. I always tell people to go and pre-ride/run the course ahead of time if they can, to see what it's like. The strong mountain bikers seem to do well, especially on the more technical courses.

Also, some of the XTERRA races offer what's called a "sport" distance, which is half the regular distance. It's a great first step. I'm not sure if they offer it at Buffalo Creek, so we may need to dig up the website and see.
2009-12-29 10:04 PM
in reply to: #2583232

User image

Elite
Tucson, AZ
Dene - 2009-12-29 6:48 PM I would love to join your group.

I am 37 and live in Northern British Columbia.  I have 3 very active teenagers that usually keep me fairly exhausted. Laughing  Last year my 2 sisters signed up for a 1/2 marathon and they encouraged me to try the 8K road race.  Although I can't quite admit it to them, I liked it.  This year they talked me into competing in my first sprint triathlon and will need all the help I can get.

Hi Nadine! Thanks for joining us!

That is so cool your sisters and you are getting involved in races and events together. We'll help ya get to that first sprint finish line! I also noticed you are a gold member here on BT. You have the entire site unlocked and at your fingertips, including all of the training plans available and the coaching support from the D3 Multisport coaches.

Do you have your first sprint race for 2010 picked out, and will your sisters be racing in it as well?

2009-12-29 10:07 PM

User image

Elite
Tucson, AZ
Subject: RE: PirateGirl's "Let's Get Dirty!" Group - CLOSED

We have 9 wonderful ladies signed up to our mentor group, so I'm going to go ahead and update the group list and close the group. I don't want the group to get too big to where I can't give you all quality time and attention on how your training is progressing. 

2009-12-29 10:07 PM

User image

Veteran
WTH? This isn't coral. It's corn!
Hello everyone! I'd like to join!

NAME: My name is Carol and I live in the Midwest although I'm originally from Puerto Rico. 

STORY:   I bought myself a nice composite race bike 2yrs ago for my mid-life crisis.  I've been wanting to race bikes and take up cycling since my 20's.  But, school/work always got in the way.  Also, I tried MTB 9 yrs ago and ended up in the ER after my first trail/hill.  That put brakes on cycling for a while!  This year I'm doing both.

I started endurance events this past April with Team in Training.  I had never done anything beyond casual 10-20 miles at a local park.  Within my first month of riding, I did a century and I didn't feel like dying or "Oh! my God, I will never do that again."  On the contrary, I was like--"hmmm....how far can I go next?"  One of my TNT coaches said that was not quite normal (hahaha!) that it appears my body can "handle" endurance.  I did two more centis in the next 2.5 months in preparation for RAIN (160 miles in one day) which I finished.  Then, one more century in Sept. in Honolulu with Team in Training. 

Since the goal of TNT is to push yourself beyond your limits, I felt a triathlon is in order.  I have never done one.  So, in the spirit of the mid life crisis, I signed up for Steelhead.  I'm not the only one in this crazy boat, btw, and the head coach (an experienced IM/HIM guy) reassured us we can do it if we follow the program.  TNT training (6x/week) begins in February, but I'm interested in this site too 'cause I have so much to learn! 

Today, I got in a pool for the first time in I can't remember how long.  As a kid, I competed in swimming and earned many medals.  Tonight, in a matter of nanoseconds, I was reminded I'm not 8 yrs old anymore.  Darn.  My head cap popped out and my anti-fog goggles fogged up and got filled with water.  Luckily, my brand new TYR-on-sale-bathing-suit held up--gotta at least dress the part, I guess.  I stayed in the pool for 30-40 minutes catching my breath after every lap.  I didn't bother to count them.  I was like a little kid telling myself, "can I do one more?" I also spent about 10 minutes enjoying myself with one of those kid's boards that one grabs and then only the legs move.  After the swim I went to the sauna, collapsed down on the wood, looked up and said--I am going to have a blast!! training for Steelhead! Laughing  As for weight/diet, I've lost 13 pounds since starting TNT without really watching my portions (read: having difficulty counting points!)  At the beginning of November I started the Thrive diet (vegan/raw) which I really love.  I want to lose ~20 more before SH.  Now, I'm taking nutrition very seriously, specially when it comes to recovery.

Today, I also bought my first real pair of running shoes. I have never run.  So, basically swimming and running and swimming-cycling-running will be my "developmental needs."

FAMILY: Single mom of one 5 yrs old, rescue yellow Lab.  Just put down my 10 yrs old chocolate Lab Cry  He used to hang out next to me while I was on my trainer all the time and lick off Perpetum residue from my bottles. 

TRAINING: Currently 6x a week training for a 375 miles cycling tour along the coastline of Puerto Rico in February.  Started the training program at the beginning of Nov.  Averaging 200 miles/week all inside on my trainer keeping the den at 90 degs to adapt my body to the tropical temps I'll encounter.  Also, weights and Pilates.  I consider sleep part of training and since 11/1 I have gone to 9-10 hours from 7-8.

2010 GOALS:  February--the cycling tour.  June--possibly an Oly tri in Puerto Rico.  The Steelhead Tri TEAM is unofficially doing Lake ELkhart as a warm up.  I rather go back home and swim in the open ocean Smile.  Steelhead in July and other long distance cycling events.  Possibly a randonneuring brevet series of 200/300/400/600km spread out over the year.
2009-12-29 10:10 PM

User image

Veteran
WTH? This isn't coral. It's corn!
Oh! no! did my request to join cross your "closing the group" message? By the time stamp of the messages, it looks like it did. Could you please take one more?  Pleeeease!!??? As Donkey from Shrek would say Laughing
2009-12-29 10:24 PM
in reply to: #2583262

User image

Elite
Tucson, AZ

trainforacure - 2009-12-29 7:10 PM Oh! no! did my request to join cross your "closing the group" message? By the time stamp of the messages, it looks like it did. Could you please take one more?  Pleeeease!!??? As Donkey from Shrek would say Laughing

Hi Carol! Yes, I don't want you to be a victim of the time stamp, so you're with us. After all, you had quite a lot to type up there!

Congrats on signing up for Steelhead, and the TNT group is great to have to help get you there. Since your main training starts in Feb, we'll help keep ya motivated.

Your pool story was too funny with the cap and goggles. I know how that goes! But like you said, at least you looked cute in your swimwear. Dressing the part is very important!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » PirateGirl's "Let's Get Dirty!" Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 7