BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Alice Hohl's Family-Tri-Balance Group: CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 12

2009-12-30 7:32 AM

User image

Master
Columbus, Ohio
Coaching member
Subject: Alice Hohl's Family-Tri-Balance Group: CLOSED
NAME: UserID: ahohl  Real Name: Alice Hohl
STORY: I started triathlon in 2000, after finally learning how to lap swim. I had always run for fitness, and after my first tri race, I was hooked on the fun of race day! In 2004 my husband and I had our first child. I started running again after she was born, but didn't get back into triathlon until after my son was born in 2006. The following season was my first tri season with little ones. My husband and I both do triathlon, and we've worked out a pretty good system so that we both get our workouts completed, with minimal time away from the kids. Over the years, I've come up with a lot of ways to fit in weekday workouts. I've done everything from swim at 5:45 a.m. to doing a 20-mile training run after I put the kids to bed at night.
FAMILY STATUS: Married to a triathlete. Two kids, ages 3 and 5. I work full time and dh stays home with the kids.
CURRENT TRAINING: Completed my first Half-Ironman last year. I train about an hour a day on weekdays, and about the same on weekends until the weather gets nice and I can do long weekend workouts. I use a Garmin and create my own training plan by combining a couple of sources.
THIS YEAR'S RACES: Half-marathon, two Olympic triathlons, one Half-Iron distance triathlon, one marathon
2010 RACES:  Half-marathon, two half-iron races, one iron-distance (Rev3 Cedar Point)
WEIGHTLOSS: Weightloss is not one of my goals. I pretty much stay the same no matter what I do. Nutrition and diet is not my strength.
WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOR: I have a lot of good tips and tricks for fitting in workouts. I also read extensively on the topic, and I'm good at translating technical-speak into plain language. I log my workouts on BT, so I'm on the site at least once a day, and can check on the workout logs of my mentees, as well as checking on the Mentor Group Thread and answering any questions.

Edited by ahohl 2010-01-01 8:31 AM

2009-12-30 12:45 PM
in reply to: #2583522

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ohio
Subject: RE: Alice Hohl's Family-Tri-Balance Group: OPEN
Hi Alice!

I've been perusing the discussion forums for a couple of weeks and was undecided about joining a mentoring group until I saw your post. I would like to join your group - I have never done a triathlon but have been considering it. I started running (and I use the term run liberally - as at that point it was really more of a shuffle) last May/June. It started as a 1.5 mile shuffle and has turned into a consistent 4.5-5 mile run. I recently joined the YMCA and started swimming and most recently have hopped the bike a couple of times - the biking piece is what imtimidates me the most. The last time I was on a "real" bike - well I can't quite remember - what does that tell you? I don't even have a bike now... I was an athlete throughout my childhood and adolescence and had the oppotunity at the collegiate level but opted not to pursue the scholarship offers. Instead I was rather unhealthy (drank a lot of beer and ate a lot of pizza) but the natural athlete in me has come creeping back out and is really enjoying the running and swimming. I have really enjoyed that it is something that I can do for me. Doing things for me was something that I never really needed until I became a Mom. I am married, work full-time and have a 3 year old son and the reason I have been reticent to sign-up for a mentor group and/or commit to actually doing a triathlon is because I am worried about the training-work-family balance piece of it. You seem like a great person to connect with as you are someone who has already tripped over the stones I am currently tripping over.

Thanks Alice,
DJ Diamond

Edited by ddiamond 2009-12-30 12:46 PM
2009-12-30 1:02 PM
in reply to: #2584321

User image

Master
Columbus, Ohio
Coaching member
Welcome DJ Diamond!

I look forward to having you in the group!
I'll post a little more about your comments when I see if we get more members.
2009-12-30 1:36 PM
in reply to: #2584372

User image

Champion
I just wanted to pop in and say hi, and alice is going to be a great mentor for you guys!

Good luck all.
2009-12-30 2:36 PM
in reply to: #2584475

User image

Master
Columbus, Ohio
Coaching member
newbz - 2009-12-30 2:36 PM I just wanted to pop in and say hi, and alice is going to be a great mentor for you guys! Good luck all.

Aw, Thanks David!
2009-12-30 4:28 PM

New user

Hi Alice,

Would love to be mentored if possible.

I only get to train about 1 hour a day (at best) and also only when the kids are in bed.

Fortunately the wife is very understanding and lets me play once the chores are done.

I used to run 10k (sub 40 minutes), but picked up an achilles problem as well as ITB syndrome and haven't really run for about 5 years.

I do cycle to work though on a daily basis all year round and do anywhere between 50 and 100 miles a week - that was until I fell off in the ice 6 weeks ago and did some deep tissue damage to my shoulder (didn't break anything though).

I've also been lifting weights on and off for a few years and maybe have more bulk than desired and I've been really lazy this christmas and the bulk is ever bulkier.

I decided to look at triathlons to get me fit again, especially after reading about team Hoyt - I was truly humbled.

Anyway, I've been swimming 1 to 2 times a week over the last 3 months (apart from a 2 week break after the shoulder incident) and have gone from struggling to do 1 length breast stroke to swimming over 1 mile every session and being able to do 8 lengths none stop freestyle.

I must admit my lifestyle is a bit hectic with two under 4's, wife and a 15 year old from a previous relationship (who comes to stay every weekend) and I seem to perform best when told what to do and be given specific sessions.

I'd like to be able to go swimming twice a week, run twice a week, do some lighter weights to tone up once a week and use my cycle commute for the cycle training.

Anyway, any tips, plans, advice etc, will be greatly welcomed and I'm aiming to do at least a super sprint some time early summer to prove to myself that I can do it.

Sorry for all the waffle.

Pat (UK).

2009-12-30 7:56 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Douglasville
I'd like to join in too.  I have two kiddos ages 6 and 7.  Married to fellow triathlete and we both have very demanding full time jobs...We started last year (our second season) with St. Anthonys and ended with the Augusta Ironman 70.3.  This year we plan to do New Orelans 70.3 in April, a bunch of olympic distances and then Augusta again...I wanted to do a full but for 2010 just not in the cards..I train a minimum of 10 and up to 20 hours a week..Lots of very early mornings and late evenings..Lots of sitters etc but this sport has changed my life forever in such a good way its worth the tough choices..I hope you can find room for me in your group...
2009-12-30 9:07 PM

New user

Hi,
After years of watching Ironman on t.v. I am finally taking the first step. I am a 45 yr. old male who swings in and out of shape. Living in Utah, I have access to one of the greatest outdoor playgrounds there is. i have recently gained backed a bunch of weight I had lost when i returned to the gym 5 months ago.

I am married, no kids and have a fairly busy schedule with my profession as well as working on a financial certification. I am not opposed to stretching myself and fitting in a disciplined training routine.

I have dreamed about doing triathlons since honeymooning in Kona back in 1994. I'm looking for some beginners tips on how I should go about getting started and of course looking for as much support as I can get.

Bob Kernan 
2009-12-30 9:30 PM

User image

Expert
Hi Alice:  I'd like to join your group if at all possible.  I caught the tri bug back in June and wished I could have gotten into a group back then when I truly knew nothing other than the fact that I wanted to at least try a tri.  Before I got injured, I did one sprint distance and one duathalon and really enjoyed myself.   However, I finally got bit by the injury bug (as I always do) and I have not been able to do much since I hurt myself back in November.  However, I desperately want to give it another try and I need someone to help me take it slow.

I'll check back tomorrow to see if there is room for me. 

Thanks,

DQ

2009-12-30 9:34 PM

User image

Regular
Hi Alice,

My name is Denise.  I am a full-time working Mom of 2 children, ages 5 and 6, who needs to take better care of herself.  I've signed up for a sprint triathlon in June since I work better if I have a definitive goal.  I was inspired when I read that you have children and manage to get your workouts in.  I am very lucky to have a very supportive husband.  It's been too long since I've exercised on a regular basis so I'm starting with the basics: getting to the point where I can swim, bike and run for 20-30 minutes without stopping. My short term goal is to change my lifestyle: exercise consistently, change my eating habits, etc. I've always wanted to participate in a triathlon and was pleased to find an event in Georgia designed for people, like myself,  who have never done one before.
2009-12-30 10:15 PM

New user

Alice:I too would like to join your group if you still have room. I am married and have 5 kids from 21 to 7. I am busy with work and family but want to get back into shape for myself and my family. I have run a marathon before and used to swim a lot while in school. I also started spinning this year but quit this summer. I am ready to put them all together and push myself with a tri. I hope to learn a lot from you and the other participants if you still have room. Thanks.Kevin

2009-12-30 10:45 PM

New user

Hello Alice,
I would like to join your group if there is still room.  Im excited about triathlons! I have only done an indoor TRI and know its nothing like the outdoors, but would really like to get there one day.  Would definitely enjoy learning from you and others here. 

Thanks!

Adrian
2009-12-31 3:37 AM

User image

Harrison Twp
Hi Alice, how do i join the program? I'm 49 year old female with the goals of an olympic tri in April and a 1/2 iron in November, i would like to be part of a group for motivation and advice. Thank you Michele
2009-12-31 3:37 AM

User image

Harrison Twp
Hi Alice, how do i join the program? I'm 49 year old female with the goals of an olympic tri in April and a 1/2 iron in November, i would like to be part of a group for motivation and advice. Thank you Michele
2009-12-31 5:00 AM

Katy

hi alice,

i would love to join your group!  i'm 38 with 2 boys (9 and 12).  i work full time at night, so my schedule is a mess.  my kids are active (boys scouts, football, baseball, piano lessons, trumpet lessons and swim team) so there hasn't been much time for me.  but i am changing that now!!  i am scheduling my training just like i schedule their stuff.  we'll see how that works!  i've done one sprint and fell in love with this sport/challenge.  my goal is a half iron in nov 2010 and a full iron in nov 2011 or sooner if i'm ready! 

look forward to being part of this group!

catherine

2009-12-31 5:01 AM

User image

Hello Alice!
I started training for triathlons last July - and did a supersprint (couldn't finish the swim - in open water - Ocean, 2 days after a Nor'easter - so, definitely not a pool swim!) but finished the rest, and finished the sprint.

My run time for my 5k was terrible - somewhere around 13:40/mile...ugh...but, I have since brought that down by 2 minutes (since September) and could still use a lot of improvement.

I have my own business - I am a personal chef, so my working hours can also be a bit wacky.  I have 2 kids - one is 11 with high functioning autism, and the 2nd is 2 1/2 years old...both demand a lot of attention..so, let's just say that some days training is very difficult to fit in, but I have found it to be a necessity so that I don't hurt anyone.   I have gotten up at 5 to get to the pool before my husband goes to work - he also has a full time job which he commutes to (90 min. commute).  I have also put the 2 1/2 year old in the jogger when I need to run, but...now it is too cold, so I fit it all in when I can.

I look forward to working with you, and have lots of training questions!!!  What to work on!  I have difficulty with the training log here, but will work on it!

2009-12-31 9:40 AM

Hi Alice,

I'd like to join your group.  I live in Maine and plan on doing my first triathlon(s) next summer         (2010).  I'm a runner and ran several marathons/half-marathons until I was sidelined this year with a torn meniscus. Because of the injury I was forced to find alternatives to running and started swimming and biking.   My knee has been repaired and I'm running again, but will limit myself to 3 days running per week and will cross train (bike or swim) on the alternate days.  Of course, being in Maine, I'm limited to biking on a trainer right now. 
2009-12-31 9:48 AM

User image

Hello!

I am excited to see you having an opening in your group. I would love to join it. I share very simialr backgrounds to those who have posted.

My ID: Squatsauce (college nickname)
Location: Elkton, Maryland (up in the northeast corner of MD near PA and DE lines)

I am married and a father of 3 kids (9, 5 and 15 months old). I played rugby for over 15 years and stopped playing fulltime about 4 years ago. I have always been active in martial arts (jiu-jitsu and Krav Maga) but with the kids its difficult to get out and go to class/ train the amount of time needed to progress without burdening my wife as we both work fulltime. Some college buddies of mine have been doing triathalons and adventure races. They finally talked me into doing them. I have made the comittment by buying a Garmin GPS watch, signing up on this website and finally purchasing a Trek road bike. I spent more than I should have on the bike but I hope it will last me many years. I also signed up for my first tri for next Sept. 2010 in DC (The Nations Tri). I also signed up for a sprint tri in Northeast, MD next July.

I have an indoor trainer that I ride on. I joined the local YMCA to use its pool. I have been running at night after the kids go to bed which is at times cool but also tiring as it keeps me up later than usual. I typically run at 9:30 pm. I have just started getting into using a heart rate monitor and readin up on how to use it for training. Currently I am just training in my Zone 2 heart rate range to build up my aerobic base. My buddies tell me that when I get within 16 weeks of the race I will need to change up my training.

Well that is my story in a nutshell. I am really interested in learning new trainign ideas. I have heard good things about this program and am looking forward to sharing with everyone!!

Regards,

Brandon

2009-12-31 10:03 AM
in reply to: #2586158

Hi,

I'd like to join the group!  I'm 54 years old, have finished one half marathon walking/running (Virginia Beach), and would like to try a sprint tri this summer.  My goal is to finish -- my swimming skills are very basic but I mainly want to do this to have something to work towards.

May I join you?

Peggy
2009-12-31 10:31 AM

User image

Expert
Canada
I was thinking about joining your group, but you filled up fast!!!Have a good year folks. Have fun!!
2009-12-31 10:32 AM

User image

New user

Round Rock
Hi Alice,I'd like to join your group. I'm currently in a running program and will run my first marathon in February. We run 18.6 miles this Saturday for training. So I feel it's mainly the swimming and biking that I need help on.I'm registered for the half Ironman in Miami on Oct. 30, 2010.I've never completed a triathlon and just recently caught the triathlon bug. I'm currently shopping for a bike and think I've found the one I want (a Blue Triad -- would welcome your opinion on this).I'm 47 and single.Thanks!TexasTri (Bob)

2010-01-01 8:24 AM

New user

Happy New Year to everyone! I thought I would pop in to see if there has been any activity in this forum. As I mentioned in my original post, I am looking for some support for a brand new triathlete. Where do I begin? I have viewed several training programs for newbies. My goal is to do a sprint sometime in the next 6 months but not sure what is realistic.

I am in Utah, so training outdoors this time of year can be problematic. Although the skiing aint so bad!!! I do not have a bike yet... where to start there? Is training in the gym sufficient until the weather breaks?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

BK
2010-01-01 8:31 AM

User image

Master
Columbus, Ohio
Coaching member
Wow, hi everybody!
I was home with the kids yesterday and didn't get a chance to check in as I normally would. (Sounds like most of you understand that!)

Welcome everyone!
I'll take everyone currently on the thread, but I'm going to close it out now.

I'll post again in a minute.

Happy New Year!
2010-01-01 8:39 AM

User image

Master
Columbus, Ohio
Coaching member
Subject: RE: Alice Hohl's Family-Tri-Balance Group: CLOSED
Members:
ddiamond
Avoneer (Pat)
Afrutoz
Demireba (Bob)
Qua17
Dajotkjo (Denise)
Kka (Kevin)
askinner13 (Adrian)
nina44shell
catroberts (Catherine)
operachef
MRand
SquatSauce (Brandon)
pathiel (Peggy)
TexasTri

Happy New Year everyone!
There are a lot of great stories on here! You are all inspirational individuals, for sure!

For those who are on the fence about actually completing a triathlon, I would definitely suggest finding a small race and signing up for it and paying the money. There's nothing like being out $$ to motivate you! Find a small local race that is in the $50 range if you're scared. You can always borrow a bike from someone.
If you can't make that move, at least sign up for a 5K in the next couple months. If you haven't done an organized event yet, I think you'll really love it and be surprised at the camaraderie.

Meanwhile, I'm going to "friend" all of you so I can keep an eye on your training logs.

Then I plan to post at least a tip each day about tri/family balance, as well as answer questions.

Thanks for choosing me! I'm going to do the best I can!

JAN 1 TIP:
Race day with kids.
Today I'm doing a 5K, which is pretty easy to manage. I picked up my packet ahead of time, so I don't need to arrive early. We are all going to drive as a family, and it's very close to home. We'll get there 15 to 20 minutes before, and they will wait in the car, staying warm, while I warm up a little. They will watch the start, then get back in the car and listen to a book on CD (they love the Magic Tree House books, and we like them, too) while I do the race. They will get out after 20-25 minutes and cheer me at the finish. Then I promised I would share my hot chocolate with the kids!

It's a lot more complex for a triathlon, where we have to make sure there are bathrooms, snacks, and things for the kids to do, whether that's playing on the beach or locating the playground. So today should be a breeze! I love hearing their little voices cheering for me! It's such a rush!
2010-01-01 8:43 AM

New user
Subject: RE: Alice Hohl's Family-Tri-Balance Group: CLOSED

Good luck - bit too cold over here in the UK for much running (-1 at the moment) and very icy.

Pat.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Alice Hohl's Family-Tri-Balance Group: CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 12