General Discussion Triathlon Talk » HIM Training and Vacation Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-01-21 1:22 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
San Francisco CA
Subject: HIM Training and Vacation
I'll be doing the Vineman Half Ironman this July, and it will be my first try at the HIM distance. I'm planning on using the BT Beginner HIM plan with some modifications (more biking), and the 20 week plan would start on March 1st.

The problem with this grand plan is that on March 1st my husband and I will be arriving in Rome for a two week vacation around Italy. I'm trying to figure out what to do about basically missing out on the first two weeks of the plan. I'm bringing running shoes with me and I know we will be doing tons of walking but our schedule is pretty tight since we're trying to fit in a lot of cities so I think dedicated training time will be limited.

Should I start the plan two weeks early to stay on the schedule, then take two weeks "off" while in Italy and start back up with week three when I return? Or just cut out the first two weeks totally and start with week three when I return? The volumes in week 3 don't look to be too crazy of a jump for me.

Thoughts BT? Thanks!

2010-01-21 1:39 PM
in reply to: #2626865

User image

Extreme Veteran
In front of computer when typing this.
Subject: RE: HIM Training and Vacation
Since you are just starting the plan I would just take my running shoes and try to run some. If I recall the first 4 weeks of that plan are really just base-building and the difference between a 20 and 18 week HIM plan is negligible and easy to overcome. And just FYI, when I was in Rome I ran a few times and almost felt like a local! It was incredible to get out and run there (was only there for a week but will never forget those runs). Hae a great vacation! I'm jealous. Rome is my favorite city (so far).
2010-01-22 6:04 PM
in reply to: #2626865

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Subject: RE: HIM Training and Vacation
Personally, I would start the training 3-4 weeks (4 weeks preferred) early. Have 3-4 weeks of solid training and then take two weeks off. Enjoy Rome and walk/run when you can.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » HIM Training and Vacation Rss Feed