Canadian Triathlon Forum Ontario » Need some Sault Ste Marie advice Rss Feed  
Moderators: Silver_wlf, alicefoeller Reply
2010-01-30 11:28 AM

User image

Veteran
Alexandria, Virginia
Subject: Need some Sault Ste Marie advice
Hi, I was just told that I will be moving to Sault Ste Marie (Michigan) this summer for the next 3 years and wanted to get some advice from whoever currently lives up there or used to. 

I know that the winters are pretty brutal and wanted to know what are the training options up there.  Indoor pools, tracks, etc?? Any local road races or tri's?

I will likely live in Coast Guard housing or rent in town, what are the houses like?  What are good neighborhoods and which should  I avoid? 

I was told that the Canadian side is a lot more built up with more things to do (restaurants, shops, etc).  Seeing that the I'll be a stone's throw from the border, I was hoping some of my Canadian friends could chime in.

I have a ton of other questions, just hoping there are some on here that live/have lived up there and can speak from experience.
-Nick

2010-01-30 11:57 AM
in reply to: #2644383

User image

Master
Guelph, Ontario
Subject: RE: Need some Sault Ste Marie advice

The winters are definitely cold up here. minus 22celcius this morning. As for training there are lots of clubs where you can run, bike and swim. I'm not sure what is  exactly available in SSM, MI but you shouldn't have any trouble finding something. You'll also find lots of people up here running outside throughout the year. I like running outside better than on a treadmill but when it dips too low, like today I do run indoors. You don't need a lot of heavy winter clothes for running outside in the cold as your own body heat will keep you going. I know most days I am sweating lots after a good cold weather run.

2010-01-30 4:46 PM
in reply to: #2644383

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ontario
Subject: RE: Need some Sault Ste Marie advice

I had a job interview in SSM ON and had a good look around at rentals, shopping etc. The city is obviously isolated so it is pretty self sufficient and has pretty good gyms, pools, shopping, restaurants etc. The city has gone through tough times as it is dependent on cyclical things like forestry, and employment at the mill. Much of the city is composed of older, smaller homes, and I assume that accomodations would be pretty cheap and readily available. It's a blue collar, working class town, a little rough but not particularly dangerous. Great terrain for summer training, but long snowy winters.

New Thread
Canadian Triathlon Forum Ontario » Need some Sault Ste Marie advice Rss Feed