BT Development Mentor Program Archives » hlipusch mentor group - FULL!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 5

2010-04-06 3:44 PM

User image

Veteran
Between Madison and Milwaukee
Subject: hlipusch mentor group - FULL!!
NAME: hlipusch / Heather
STORY: I began participating in triathlons about 6 years ago. At first it was to make going to the gym more fun. I hated just showing up without a goal each workout. Training for triathlons gave my workouts purpose. I love running/biking and swimming so it was a great fit. I have completed 3 marathons and quite a few triathlons including a half-ironman. About a year and a half ago I decided to become study for my personal training certification. I am now a personal trainer with my own business.

FAMILY STATUS: I am married and have 2 children. My son is almost 7 and my daughter is almost 3. My husband also participates in tri's and marathons.

CURRENT TRAINING: I am training for IM Wisconsin (September, 12th 2010). There are several events along the way including some sprints, some half marathons, an olympic distance race and a half ironman.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: In January I did an indoor half marathon at the Petit Ice Center in West Allis, WI. In March I PR'd at the trailbreaker half marathon in Waukesha, WI and broke the 2 hour mark for the first time (1:56:29). I have a spring tri coming up April 25th along with all the other events mentioned in Current Training.

2010 RACES: Whitewater Early Bird spring Tri - April 25th, Indianapolis 1/2 marathon - May 8th, Elkhart Lake Olympic Tri - June 12th, Racine Ford Ironman 70.3 - July 18th, Chicago Rock n Roll Half Marathon - August, 1st, Wisconsin Ironman - September 12th, Milwaukee's Lakefront Marathon - October 3rd.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOR: I'm a personal trainer so this is what I LOVE to do. I'm extremely passionate about fitness and I love answering questions about triathlon. I'm energetic and open and I want other people to enjoy the entire triathlon experience including the training!

Edited by hlipusch 2010-04-13 2:38 PM

2010-04-07 6:15 AM
in reply to: #2772211

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: hlipusch mentor group - OPEN

Hi Heather! I want to be in your group! I need someone who can help me balance training with young children.

NAME: Jenna

STORY: I was supposed to start tri training with my friend in the 2008 season when I became pregnant. My daughter was born in December and I started training in February. I had a great season last year until I broke my ankle the week before my A race. This year I am trying to stay injury free and juggle training with a young family and demanding job.

FAMILY STATUS: I am married and have 2 children. My son is 3.5 and my daughter is 15 months. My husband is supportive but not an athlete himself.

CURRENT TRAINING: I'm still getting back into the swing of things after an extended break due to a job change in January. I need to run more because my first race is a half-marathon in June. I follow a hybrid of plans for different events because training for the half-mary overlaps with my sprint tri training, which overlaps with my OLY training, which overlaps with my full mary training. Definitely a work-in-progress.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: Trot to the Beach half-marathon June 5th; Tomatoman sprint triathlon June 20th; Milton OWTS Olympic distance triathlon September 5th; Detroit Marathon October 17th. Probably another sprint tri in August and maybe July too. TBD.

Glad to be part of the group!

2010-04-10 4:31 PM

User image

HI, Heather! I would like to join your group! I have only signed up for 1 Tri... Which is tomorrow!?! I plan on doing more. I have been doing them for the last 4 years but I still feel I am a newbie.

Name:Kinesio/ Kristina

Story: Started as a competitive swimming in HS. It was my passion and loved every minute! My Dad & Husband started me on biking. Always thought it would be fun to try a triathlon. Did my first as a relay & was hooked!! I luckily have my training partner across the street! I am apart of a tri team - Mad Cows Racing Team in Davis, CA. Need to work on the running part & lose 20lbs at least!
Moved up an age group this year. Why are they faster?

Family Status: Married with 2 girls (6y/o & 3y/o). Work as a pediatric nurse.

Current training: Swim x2/wk Coached workouts, Run 2-3x/wk. As weather gets warmer I will bike early morning with a group.

2010 Race: TBA
2010-04-10 5:15 PM

User image

Hello Heather - I'd like to join your group. I started tri training because my gym regimen was boring, too. Having goals makes it so much more rewarding. I would like the group aspect because I'm the only one of my friends who is doing something like this, so it'd be nice to have peers and a mentor I can go to with questions about training and work/exercise/life balance.

NAME: Lindsay

STORY: I'm a noob. I've always wanted to get into road biking, and am still feeling like I might not be cut out for this tri-thing. However, I have watched my boyfriend (jsiegs) compete in tri's for the past year, and I think actually witnessing the atmosphere has helped take away the intimidation factor - at least enough of it for me to sign up.

FAMILY STATUS: Single for tax purposes. For life purposes, I need to balance my training with being a girlfriend, a sister and daughter, and I'm also a doggy mommy.

CURRENT TRAINING: I am on a BT plan to help me get ready for the only race I've signed up for. I'm six weeks into a 12 week plan, and I feel alright about it. I feel really good about where I am in swim training vs where I started. I bought a road bike 2 weeks ago but haven't gotten on it outside yet, just indoor training. And I avoid running, but the warm weather is giving me few excuses. Last year was the first year I signed up for 5ks, and I'll probably do a few this year as well to help keep me motivated.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: I'm registered for the "Tri-to-Win", benefitting the Joanna M. Nicolay Melanoma Foundation. It's in Carroll County, Maryland, on June 20th. I'm also planning to sign up for the "People's Preakness" 5k on May 8th.
2010-04-10 9:16 PM

Veteran
Hoosier heartland
Hi Heather, I would love to join your group.  I participated in the winter BT mentor program and found it great for advice and support.

NAME:  Claire

STORY:  I use to be a runner in high school (track and cross country).  In college I stayed fairly active but lost the desire to compete.  Life happened...I got married and had two kids.  I started to run again a couple of years ago for two reasons:  1.)  A bone scan revealed I was osteopenic (borderline osteoporosis).  I was in my late thirties!!  There is a history of osteoporosis in my family but OMG, major reality check.  I couldn't believe it.  2.)  I started to get that competetive feeling again after my sister started competing in triathlon...and she is sooo good.  My sister was my insiration to start trying tri. 

So here I am two years later, forty years old and doing my first triathlon next week!

FAMILY STATUS:  I am married with two wonderful daughters, age 9 and 4 (almost 5).  I work part time as an OR nurse.  My husband loves to bike, but is not competetive. 

2009 Races:  I did a half mary for the first time and really enjoyed it.  I also raced a handful of 10ks and 5ks last summer.  I also did my first duathlon and struggled in my T1.  I couldn't find my bike!!!

CURRENT TRAINING:  I am getting ready to do my first sprint tri next week.  I think I'm ready, but a little nervous.  The swim is luckily in a pool.  Swimming will be my weak leg as I just started swimming last October.  I also have a half mary in May as well.  Heather, I will be doing the 500 festival mini marathon too. 

Looking forward to a great season. Smile

Edited by cggale 2010-04-10 9:18 PM
2010-04-10 10:20 PM

User image

Veteran
Hi Heather. I would like to join the group. The winter groups are over and I am looking for a new one.
NAME: JEFF
STORY: I am new to triathlons and racing. It began after losing 40-42 lbs in a challenge at work. Thereafter I went on a few 2mi run races and that led to 10k and 8 mi races. That led to races with obstacles (rivers, etc..) So, I found triathlon. However, I have not raced in one yet. Being that I am an OR Nurse, I also discoverd how little time in my day I have to train.
FAMILY STATUS: Married. Four kids, two in college one in HS and one in elementary. Busy, busy busy. Go time... .all the time.
CURRENT TRAINING: Piecemeal. Right now I am under pressure to finish a Half marathon training which is sketchy. The weather has really held me back ( that is my current excuse).
THIS YEARS RACES: A mish mosh of running races and scheduled tri's but hoping to finish at least two tri's.  I carefully chose some to make sure I was going to have fun doing some of them.

Edited by StrayDog 2010-04-10 10:25 PM

2010-04-11 7:08 AM

User image

Expert
Kinesio - Good luck today!! Let us know how it goes.

Looks like we have a lot of nurses on board - which is great for someone as injury prone as I am! Good luck getting some training time in this weekend for all of us who aren't racing. Enjoy some sunshine!
2010-04-11 9:19 AM

User image

New user

Hi Heather,

I would like to join this group. I use to be very active playing baseball, basketball, volleyball & tennis. After graduating college and having a children life took its toll on me. I went from 185 to 230. Being 6'2", I hold my weight fairly well but I am not healthy. Another guy at my office just completed his first full Ironman and it has inspired me to try a triathlon. My first one is scheduled for June 20th. It is a baby tri with only a 200 meter swim, 8 mile bike and 2.5 mile run. I am confident after I complete this one I will be hooked.

Family: I have a beautiful wife, Kali, who is going to be doing this with me. We have to great children who will be 7 and 4 this year. We are trying to balance both of us training with raising them and work.

You seem to be in a similar situation so any mentoring would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Todd
2010-04-11 11:18 AM

I am interested in sharing my training information with someone who can understand it & provide feedback. I do heart rate training 7 days a week. Are you available to help me?
2010-04-11 11:19 AM

I am interested in sharing my training information with someone who can understand it & provide feedback. I do heart rate training 7 days a week. Are you available to help me?
2010-04-11 5:09 PM

User image

Master
Heather, I'd like to join your group!

Cynthia

STORY - I'm starting my 3rd season... slowly.  This winter had me sitting waaaaay too long with one cold or infection after another.  I'm now (knock wood) healthy and NEED to get moving again.  I'm a sprint-tri gal with no ambitions to do longer distances.  But it would be nice to see more improvement in my times.  I am considering some new races with cooler water swims this season and got a wetsuit to help with those.
I'd like my hubby to join me, but besides a tri my first year and a few 5Ks he hasn't jumped in-- though he says he wants a road bike so he can... what comes first?  new toys or training?! 

FAMILY:  aforementioned wannabe-more-active hubby. 5yoDD and 3yoDS.  DD just started the local swim team!

2010 RACES: My Muddy Buddy and I are deciding what to race this year, together or separate.  She also concentrates on the sprint distance and thus far have been closely matched on overall
times - with me generally just ahead.  Maybe my training would be better if she beat me, my competitiveness is high; that said, I do try to temper comparisons to others vs. my own abilities.  We're currently thinking NO Muddy Buddy this year, and instead doing a women's Sprint that is held the same day as MB.

2010-04-11 7:57 PM

User image

Hi Everyone!

So I had my first triathlon!!! I was wet & windy but I am hooked again. I almost didn't do it!

I felt I did well for the first of the season & conditions. My run was better, I felt strong on the bike! I still have lot to work on, though. So here is my link to my race report:

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...

I am excited to here about everyones adventures!

Happily Training,
Kristina
2010-04-12 1:07 AM
in reply to: #2784037

User image

Veteran
Kinesio - 2010-04-12 5:57 PM Hi Everyone! So I had my first triathlon!!! I was wet & windy but I am hooked again. I almost didn't do it! I felt I did well for the first of the season & conditions. My run was better, I felt strong on the bike! I still have lot to work on, though. So here is my link to my race report: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp... I am excited to here about everyones adventures! Happily Training, Kristina

Congrats on your Tri Kristina! Sounds like you enjoyed the rush,  Albeit bad weather. Hope to hear about more Tri's in the area. Maybe we can compare notes.
____
Jeff
2010-04-12 11:13 AM

New user

Mamaroneck

Hi Heather,

I'd like to be part of your group. 

NAME: Elizabeth

STORY: Not an athlete when I was younger (other than downhill skiing).  Started running in my twenties to help control my weight.   But after some nagging injuries and an ever more demanding job I stopped.  Got fit and lost about 50 lbs about 4 years ago.  I’ve let about 10 lbs creep back on this past year, so would like to lose that 10 over the next couple of months.  3 years ago was looking for a new challenge to keep my focus on my fitness so did a local sprint tri and loved it.

FAMILY STATUS: Single, so theoretically plenty of time to train

CURRENT TRAINING: Coming back from stress fracture in my hip  (diagnosed after months of trying 3 days before my “A” race).  I'm slowly getting back into a more focused training pattern.   Been swimming with a "total immersion" coach for about 2 years, totally transformational and it's been great; and while I'm still pretty slow in the water, I really enjoy swimming now.  Love to ride, and really struggle with running.

2010: My "A" race is NYC July 18th.  Have a few sprints before and after.
2010-04-12 11:18 AM

User image

Expert
West Palm Beach, FL
Can you fit one more?  Here's my deal:

Name: Pete

Story: I began running a little over two years ago when a new business forced me in to a more sedentary state of being and started to add on the pounds.  I did my first tri on a whim with two days notice at the urging of a friend of mine who's become a good training buddy. I've never been a good athlete but I did weight train for years.  I also trained pretty seriously in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu in the late 90s and early 2000s and got pretty good at that.

Family Status: Married with 3 kids: 6, 8 and 10.  I  try as much as possible to train when they're asleep so I don't cut in to family time.

Current training: A disaster the past 3 weeks.  Was building nicely until this winter until I tweaked my knee about 4 weeks ago.  Volume way down and plenty of other interruptions due to visitors, family stuff and some god-awful dentist appts.  Looking to get back on track this week.  FWIW I try to strength train 1 to 1.5 hours/week.

This year's races: Bad timing and procrastination means I blew signing up for the Orlando and Miami 70.3s.  I'll do the MiamiMan HIM in November and just signed up for both Miami Nice olis in June and August.  Locals sprints almost every week here in SoFla so I'm sure I'll get my share of those in too.

2009 Races: Did my first Oli last March and my first HIM last November along with a handful of sprints and 5ks.

Weightloss: Started out at 240 (I'm 6'1") before I began running and hit 210 by my HIM last November.  Put back 10 of those, including a couple extra the past couple of weeks.  I want to be 200 by my HIM this year.  Training makes a nice dent but I do need to continue to improve my diet. 

2010-04-12 1:49 PM

Round Rock
Silver member
Hi Heather, I would like to join your group if you are still open.  Here is my info:

Name: Scott Schroeder
Story:  I have always been active.  While I was living in the Pacific NW, I was doing a lot of climbing and moutaineering, always have really.  When I moved to Texas, all my activity dropped off and I gained weight.  After I started getting broderline high BP, I started running again 2 years ago.  My climbing partner suggest trying out triathlons.  That was last April.  I spent some time learning about them and playing around with the different sports.  I have always enjoyed all three.  And loved the training!  In September I decided to do one and started a swim focused sprint plan in November.  In February I started my second plan, balanced sprint and have my first race on May 1.  
Family Status:  I am 44 and have been married for 17 years.  I have two children a boy 13 and a daughter who is 12.
Current Training:  I am currently on a 16 week sprint 3x balanced plan and in month 4 week 2.  I train 6 days per week and do 2 a days 3 times per week.
Races this year:  CB&I Tri - sprint May 1.  Austin Tri - olympic Labor Day

2010-04-12 1:59 PM

User image

Expert
Congrats on a good race, Kinesio!!

Our intrepid leader doesn't appear to have been on the boards since she initially applied to be a mentor. Maybe she is on vacation??
2010-04-12 3:07 PM

Veteran
Hoosier heartland
Kinesio - 2010-04-11 7:57 PM Hi Everyone! So I had my first triathlon!!! I was wet & windy but I am hooked again. I almost didn't do it! I felt I did well for the first of the season & conditions. My run was better, I felt strong on the bike! I still have lot to work on, though. So here is my link to my race report: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp... I am excited to here about everyones adventures! Happily Training, Kristina

Great job Kristina!!  Your swim is impressive.  My first tri is next Sunday.  I too have a pool swim which I believe is going to be like a snake swim--back and forth going under the lane ropes until the end.  Being as I live in Indiana, the weather will be questionable for the bike and run.  I'm exited but nervous.  I think once I get through the swim, I'll be smiling until the finish.....heh maybe.

Any advice on swimming to those "fishes" out there, I'll take anything. 

Looks like a great bunch of people here.  Cheers.             Claire

2010-04-12 10:02 PM

User image

New user

Congrats on your triathlon Kristina. I have 10 weeks left to train until my first one. I can't wait.
2010-04-13 9:29 AM
in reply to: #2786164

User image

Expert
cggale - 2010-04-12 4:07 PM Any advice on swimming to those "fishes" out there, I'll take anything. 

Hi Claire! I am NOT a fish, but I do have experience freaking out during my first real triathlon swim. In a pool, you're not going to have any of the anxiety that comes with OWS. I would suggest just remembering to keep your breathing under control and you'll do fine!

When you finally do get to OWS races, I suggest taking a long time to warm up in the water before the race. It takes me up to 500m to really get comfortable OWS, so I now try to swim at least that far before the race starts. It might seem like swimming the entire race distance before the race even starts is not the best idea, but it definitely makes racing much more enjoyable for me!

Good luck in your first races, everyone. It's such an exciting time!
2010-04-13 2:42 PM

User image

Veteran
Between Madison and Milwaukee
Subject: RE: hlipusch mentor group - FULL!!
Hi Everybody!
I was waiting to get a message from the moderator (for lack of a better word) that this mentor group was going "live" as it's called. I've closed the group and for all who responded I will send you a private message to get some more information from you. If you are not already doing so please begin to use the training logs. Make sure you that you have the proper privacy settings that allow me to see it! If you have questions about that please let me know. I look forward to a fantastic 2010 tri-season with all of you!

2010-04-13 4:48 PM

User image

Expert
Yay! Go team!
2010-04-13 9:28 PM
in reply to: #2788975

User image

New user

Let's do this. I am not quite sure if I have the settings correct, so please give me a heads up.

Thanks,
Todd
2010-04-13 11:37 PM

Veteran
Hoosier heartland
Man, work has been kicking my butt.  I'm "on call" for work this week and have been called in twice already in the middle of the night!!!  If this is any indication of how my week is gonna go, I'm in trouble.  I'm suppose to do my long run Wednesday and lead a girl scout meeting too. 

Crap, I'm tired!!  O.K., vent over.  Time to go to bed.
2010-04-14 4:07 AM

User image

Regular
hipusch,

Any room left...had training all this week and did not get a chance to respond before this.

thx, joes
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » hlipusch mentor group - FULL!! Rss Feed  

of 5