United States
62F / 17C
Overcast
Total Time = 6h 05m 47s
Overall Rank = 344/544
Age Group = 50-54 M
Age Group Rank = 20/38
Pre-race routine:

Not very smooth. Somehow I neglected to turn my alarm on. D'oh!! Woke up about 5:15 when I had planned on leaving around 4:30 or so. Luckily the car was packed with the bike already on the rack. Got to the race at 6:15 when transition was supposed to close at 6:30.

I had wanted to try to meet BT'er mchubri, so I went by his rack, but I was so late that he was long gone. Would have liked to meet him. He had a great race.

While setting up, I found that I had forgotten my race belt, so I had to run back to my car to grab a spare. Found out after the race that there was a race belt in the swag bag, so if I had looked in there it would have saved a little aggravation. Luckily I was in the 6th and final wave and they didn't kick everyone out of transition, because by the time I was heading to the beach the first wave was ready to start.
Event warmup:

Running around like a crazy person trying to get ready in time.
Swim
  • 37m 37s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 47s / 100 yards
Comments:

Very good swim especially considering how little I swim. The water was really calm and this swim felt smooth and easy. Had a little trouble sighting on the way back because there were not enough buoys to sight from.
What would you do differently?:

Not much
Transition 1
  • 02m 33s
Comments:

Wetsuit strippers was a very nice touch, especially since I usually have trouble getting my wetsuit off my feet.
Bike
  • 3h 14m 20s
  • 56 miles
  • 17.29 mile/hr
Comments:

This is a pretty hilly course, but it sort of sneaks up on you because there are no real big climbs. Lots of short climbs, with some of them a little steep. This type of terrain is similar to what I train on, plus I grew up in northern Westchester, so it goes by some old familiar places, so I really like this course a lot.

I'm a fairly good climber for a slow guy, so I did a good amount of passing in the first few miles where there are several steep climbs. Then I tried to settle into a decent pace that would allow me to have a good run. Around mile 20 I realized I was feeling good, so I decided to push it a little more. I really felt strong throughout the whole ride, but I took it a little easier over the last 5 miles in order to prepare for the run. Felt great getting off the bike.

I found the traffic control to be excellent on the whole course. Nice job by the Police.

With how good I felt, and how well my run went, I think I could have ridden harder, and still had a good run.
Transition 2
  • 02m 5s
Comments:

Too slow. I'm not sure why because I don't remember wasting too much time.

Move faster?
Run
  • 2h 09m 14s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 52s  min/mile
Comments:

Got off the bike and I felt GREAT!! My quads and hips felt a little sore, but I had a spring in my step, and my breathing was comfortable and relaxed. Within a mile the soreness was gone so I felt that I could really have a solid run. Even the weather cooperated; mid 60's, overcast, and a nice cool breeze. The only thing that could have made it better for me would have been a little rain because I love to run in the rain.

I really like this course. The hills make it challenging, and it is really pretty. There's a nice portion on a trail with a good view of a stream down below. It goes by the Croton Dam which is pretty high plus it has a nice spillway/waterfall. First you run by the base of the dam so you get a good view of it. Later you run over the top of the dam and there is a great view from up there.

Around mile 5 I was still feeling great, and was beginning to realize that I was having my best race ever, and I was going to beat my goal time and PR by a good margin. Plus, I was getting a good "runner's high", so I was having a lot of fun. Probably sounds goofy, but I was smiling an awful lot during this run.

I had a good Spring mentor group, with some people who have really done some good things. Thinking about them, and being glad that I was able to help even a little as a mentor really gave me a good boost as well. Thanks folks!!

Between mile 9 and 10 is the toughest part of the course with a long and steep climb. My original plan was to walk up at least part of it so I could save something for the final 3 miles. I felt so good when I got there that I decided to run it. Maybe I was running pretty slow, but I ran it, passed a few people, and still had enough in the tank to finish the race strong.

There were plenty of aid stations and lots of great, enthusiastic volunteers. I had a blast clapping, thanking, and talking to the volunteers. Really made a great race even better.

My HIM PR, which I set at this course, was 6:24:36, and my goal time was 6:15. I finished with a 6:05:47 so I was absolutely ecstatic! My best tri ever!

I finished strong, so maybe I could have pushed harder at the beginning.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around a bit, drank lots of water, and had some barbecued chicken.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Don't train enough, and I'm not particularly fast.

Event comments:

My only quibble is that they could use some more buoys for the swim.Otherwise, an excellent race.

Last updated: 2010-07-31 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:37:37 | 2112 yards | 01m 47s / 100yards
Age Group: 24/38
Overall: 321/544
Performance: Good
Suit: Xterra full
Course: 2 sides of a triangle
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:33
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
03:14:20 | 56 miles | 17.29 mile/hr
Age Group: 23/38
Overall: 356/544
Wind: Little
Course: Out, then a loop, plus a little extra dogleg coming back. Rolling hills with a lot of climbing. Over 4000 feet of climbing according to Delorme.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:05
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
02:09:14 | 13.1 miles | 09m 52s  min/mile
Age Group: 23/38
Overall: 347/544
Course: HILLY! Nice run with some pretty scenery along the way. Did I mention it was hilly?
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-09-14 5:45 PM

User image

Expert
Subject: Toughman HIM

2010-09-15 8:56 AM
in reply to: #3098683

User image

NH
Subject: RE: Toughman HIM
Super race.  To PR on a course like that rocks.  Way to stay smart throughout and finish well.  As far as pushing earlier, who knows how that would have affected the end.  I'd say you played it perfectly the whole way.  Awesome job.
2010-09-15 9:43 AM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

Great job on a hilly course!! Congratulations on an awesome PR!!!

2010-09-15 10:02 AM

User image

Veteran
Severna Park, MD

You did an awesome job and to PR this course was an added bonus.  Finishing strong and not walking is fantastic.  You deserve it...you put in the training and effort.  You are also a ROCKSTAR!!!!  Thats how it is done. 

2010-09-15 10:18 AM

User image

Expert
NW NJ

Congrats on the PR Anthony!  Sorry we missed each other. As hilly as that course was, seems like a lot of poeole, those I spoke with at least, had terrific runs!  I think after training in the brutal heat the entire summer, and the weather cooperating like it did on Sunday, really helped. 

How was the BBQ, I had to get out of Dodge, we were working on borrowed time with my son.   

2010-09-15 1:38 PM

User image

Expert
Chicagoland
Nice job Anthony!!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Toughman HIM Rss Feed