General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Las Vegas Pumpkin Man long course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-10-19 1:59 PM

Regular
Subject: Las Vegas Pumpkin Man long course
My first half is this weekend in Boulder City Nevada.  Has anyone participated in the pumpkinman long course in past years that can comment on the bike and run courses... on paper the bike looks difficult with lots of elevation.  I would be interested in any first hand experience with the course.

2010-10-19 2:51 PM
in reply to: #3160722

User image

Regular
Santa Clara, UT
Subject: RE: Las Vegas Pumpkin Man long course

I will be doing the same race and it is my frist HIM as well.  Looking at the elevations of the bike course scared the *&%# out of me so I decided to go ride it for myself a week ago.  I loved it!  It looks a lot worse on paper than it is.  I rode the entire course, and then some, and then ran 6 miles afterwards......didn't want to quit!  The bike course is much more gradual than it looks on paper, however it is all climbs and descents - nothing really level.  But I was afraid that some of the climbs were going to be killers.  Not so!  So, yes it is a lot of climbing.  But NO, none of the climbs are really that tough.  I just paced myself and I was fine.  Seriously, it was one of the most enjoyable rides I have ever been on!  It is beautiful!  Just be sure to save your legs for the last 6 mile climb....like the whole course, it isn't as killer as it looks, but you DEFINATELY want to have some legs left for it.  So, I guess my advice would be to hold back "just a bit" on the first 50 miles of the course.....just a bit.

Good luck and lets hope the thunder storms stay away!

2010-10-19 3:22 PM

User image

You can search my race reports when it was the halfmax championships.  Agree with above, if you've been training hills you should be OK.  I drove some of it the day before and just looking at it it's not as hard as it looks.  But I was intimidated.   Hold back for the last climb.

My only issue on the bike course, maybe it's changed, one of the primary aid stations coming back is located at the bottom of a hill, so you go through at like 20 mph + and it's impossible to get a bottle.

Also be aware of the run. It looks "flat" but it's not.  There are long long stretches of slight incline both way, like 1% or so but they are killers.  Mostly I think starting after the Oly turn around. 
2010-10-19 3:32 PM

Regular
Excellent insight.  Thanks for the comments.  I am excited and holding my breath that the weather holds... I suspect Lake Mead could have some serious chop with a little wind.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Las Vegas Pumpkin Man long course Rss Feed