BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Meulen's 'Let's tri this Thing!' beginner mentor group-CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 56

2010-12-21 10:40 AM

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
Subject: Meulen's 'Let's tri this Thing!' beginner mentor group-CLOSED
WHEN CAN YOU START MENTORING CONSISTENTLY: I can start at any time

NAME: Meulen / Brian

STORY: My name is Brian. I'm 35 years old with a stressfull job and active lifestyle. Four years ago I found myself stressed out to the brink, overweight, and tired. I had hobbies like motorcycle racing and rc airplanes, but nothing active enough to keep me healthy. In 2007, after getting sick and tired of looking at my fat self in the mirror, I decided to start running. However, at 215lbs my knees complained quite a bit. So I bought a hybrid bike and began riding for fitness. Eventually, I was able to achieve some weightloss and get back to running again. Later, through some of my old motorcycle friends, I hooked up with some mountain bikers. I got hooked and did my first mountain bike race in late 2008. I continued riding and training for mtb racing and did a few more races in 2009. I also bought a road bike. Getting to the trails enough was impossible, my old hybrid wasn't cutting it anymore, and it was easy to jump on the road and get a ride in. From there I hooked up with some people at my gym, and decided to do my first triathlon. I did an indoor tri in 2009, and was hooked, before getting injured mountain biking and ending me for that season. In 2010 I came back did 4 tri's, 3 mountain bike races, and a running race. One of my tri's was an Xterra, which I REALLY enjoyed mixing the mtb'ing and triathlon together! During the 2010 season I've benefitted HUGE from the people on this website in my mentor group, and the generally information and articles provided here. I would love the opportunity to give back.

FAMILY STATUS: Married, no kids

CURRENT TRAINING: I'm currently on a self designed maintainence program, running 3-4 times per week, and taking computrainer classes. In the coming months I will begin combining a marathon program and an HIM program. Unfortunately, right now I have to stay out of the pool until my ruptured ear drum heals.

THIS YEAR'S RACES:
2010-11-25 The Fox and the Turkey 4 mile run
2010-08-22 Palos Meltdown mtb race
2010-08-08 Naperville Sprint Triathlon
2010-07-17 Evergreen Lake International Triathlon
2010-05-23 Xterra Series -Last Stand
2010-05-02 Iola Bump and Jump mtb race
2010-04-11 Sylvan Island Stampede mtb race
2010-03-14 Lifetime Fitness Indoor Triathlon

2011 RACES: This year my main focus will be on HIM Racine or another HIM. Though I haven't signed up yet, I will be training toward HIM and doing other races along the way. I will, more than likely be including some of the races I did last year, and hopefully a couple more Xterra's. Last season I took a couple of top 10 spots, and I would REALLY like to get on a podium spot in 2011.

WEIGHTLOSS: I've gone from 215lbs to a 163lbs race weight. I've now settled in and maintained around 170lbs this winter. I'm constantly monitoring my diet and excersise to maximize my health benefits.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOR: I believe several things have prepared me to be a good mentor. I'm open and understanding to conflicting opinions. I realize there are a number of ways to achieve goals, and what matters is safety, health, and results. I believe I will have a reasonable amount of time to monitor the group thread and provide meaningful and constructive discussion. My triathlon journey has included weightloss, injury, and training hurdles. Giving me useful experience and information worthy of being passed on. Lastly, I would love the opportunity to give back to the community that has helped me in my triathlon journey, and pass along the information that was so helpful to me.

Edited by Meulen 2011-01-18 3:00 PM

2010-12-22 12:51 AM
in reply to: #3256125

User image

Expert
Kansas City, Missouri
Subject: RE: Meulen's beginner mentor group-Open

I see we both learned a lot from Tim this year, good to see you starting a group too! Cool

2010-12-22 7:39 AM
in reply to: #3257099

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
Subject: RE: Meulen's beginner mentor group-Open
shmeeg - 2010-12-22 12:51 AM

I see we both learned a lot from Tim this year, good to see you starting a group too! Cool

absolutely!! I Tim and Richard were amazing! We were lucky to have them. I can't think of a better way to give back than pass on all the info they shared with us.

Good luck Jay! you'll be a great mentor for sure. Have fun!
2011-01-01 5:27 PM

User image

Expert
Tyrone, Georgia
Subject: RE: Meulen's 'Let's tri this Thing!' beginner mentor group-Open

Brian,

I would like to join your group if possible.  I am a 40 year old married male living in Deep Creek, MD.  I started tri's in 2010 and completed 2 sprint distances in August as well as a 15K in October.  I started weight loss 2 years ago at 292 pounds and currently sitting in around 220.  I would like to drop another 30 pounds during the course of this year if possible.  I am 6ft3in, pretty active and feel like I could use some help in the nutritional areas.  I plan on running 2 sprints, 2 Olympics, and hopefully Savage Man HIM in September.  Thanks in advance.

Rich

2011-01-01 8:49 PM

User image

Regular
Kimberly, WI

My name is Andy. I’m 37 years old. Three years ago, after looking at a photograph, I wondered who the fat guy was with his arm around my wife? It was me. Ugh. So I started running. Over the past several years, I’ve completed a marathon, half marathon, and several 10Ks and 5Ks. This year, I want to become a better runner. Also, I’d like to see if I’m HIM worthy. In the past, I’ve used biking (spin classes) and swimming as rest day cross training. I’d like to learn more about the bike and swim, find a good training program and then get after it! Right now, I’m looking at races for 2011 and plan to sign up for a spring marathon and hopefully a late summer/fall HIM. Can I join the group?

2011-01-01 9:01 PM

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
Welcome aboard guys. I've been through the weight loss thing. It's a tough road for sure. I'll certainly do my best to help with a plan. Don't be afraid to ask questions.

2011-01-02 1:19 PM

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
Rich/Andy,

I see you guys are already using the logs. That's Awesome! I can tell, the both of you are going to be great at this. Your logs are already impressive!! Keep using those logs if you can. As the group gets better I'll put together a list of all of us in the group and links to each others logs. That way we can all keep an eye on each others progress and leave inspires for one another. It really helps when you have people watching over you to keep you honest and provide encouragement. I can't tell you how many times a fellow BT member has left a little inspire in my logs and gave me the extra little motivation I needed to get out and get a workout in when I was mentally fatigued. Let's face it, a huge percentage of tri's and tri training is mental!

Also, as the group gets bigger we'll find some ways to keep discussion going here like a question of the day, for example. I'd like this thread to be full of usefull information for you guys in your journey. Since there are only 2 of you right now we can just keep it more personally and discuss things among ourselves......

2011-01-02 1:25 PM
in reply to: #3271496

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
dandr614 - 2011-01-01 5:27 PM

Brian,

I would like to join your group if possible.  I am a 40 year old married male living in Deep Creek, MD.  I started tri's in 2010 and completed 2 sprint distances in August as well as a 15K in October.  I started weight loss 2 years ago at 292 pounds and currently sitting in around 220.  I would like to drop another 30 pounds during the course of this year if possible.  I am 6ft3in, pretty active and feel like I could use some help in the nutritional areas.  I plan on running 2 sprints, 2 Olympics, and hopefully Savage Man HIM in September.  Thanks in advance.

Rich

Rich,

Congratulations my friend, you are already a triathlete! That's quite an accomplishment on weight loss as well!

How are you losing the weight currently? Are you on a specific diet or plan? Are you tracking your calories?

I'm glad to see you have some goals set for yourself for 2011 already. I'm sure you can get to Savage Man in September as long as you commit to the time. How are you currently training?
2011-01-02 1:36 PM
in reply to: #3271793

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
HammerOZZ - 2011-01-01 8:49 PM

My name is Andy. I’m 37 years old. Three years ago, after looking at a photograph, I wondered who the fat guy was with his arm around my wife? It was me. Ugh. So I started running. Over the past several years, I’ve completed a marathon, half marathon, and several 10Ks and 5Ks. This year, I want to become a better runner. Also, I’d like to see if I’m HIM worthy. In the past, I’ve used biking (spin classes) and swimming as rest day cross training. I’d like to learn more about the bike and swim, find a good training program and then get after it! Right now, I’m looking at races for 2011 and plan to sign up for a spring marathon and hopefully a late summer/fall HIM. Can I join the group?

Andy,

It sounds to me like you're already a runner!

You're right up in WI. I do some of the WORS series MTB races in Wisconsin. Incredible competition up there! Being from Illinois it's really hard to train and handle the climbing involved in the WORS series races. You guys have awesome elevation changes up there. I usually do the Iola Bump and Jump in the spring, but this year that race conflicts with, what's going to be my first marathon. I usually don't do to many stand alone running races, but I just did a turkey trot over thanksgiving, and have done a local 5k. They are fun, but I enjoy multisports. I'm following my own 3 year plan to doing an ironman, and I don't want to be shocked by having to run a marathon after a swim and a bike. So I thought it was important to get a stand alone marathon under my belt before I do an ironman. I'm signed up for the Christie Clinic marathon April 30th. What marathon are you thinking of doing?
2011-01-02 1:36 PM

I'm also interested in joining this group.

I am a 27 year old teacher/coach from NYC.  In college I played rugby for a top-tier program, but over the last few years my fitness has been inconsistent.  Right now, I am 215 pounds (similar to what you were when you started) and I'd love to get that down to 180-185.  While I  have been lifting weights over the past year I have neglected serious cardio fitness.

I decided to run a triathlon about a month ago because I wanted to try a new sport, do something other than lift weights, and stop drinking/partying so much.  For the past month I have been trying to build a base by swimming (around 1000m a session), running 3-4 miles a session, and biking 30-40 min. Besides getting my weight down, my biggest challenge will be managing my workouts with my work schedule.

Looking for my first Sprint tri to be sometime in May and to run an Olympic tri sometime in June.

Thanks!
Jon Cambras
2011-01-02 2:18 PM

New user

BUTTE

Brian,

I am a 26 year old Montana Native tired of looking and feeling 60. I have been active all my life, but not consistently. My weight ranges from 200lbs to 240lbs. I decided a few months ago I wanted to do a triathlon to give me some motivation. I’ve been swimming and running fairly consistently, but have little stamina. Last night I decided on a race which consequently gave me a deadline to get in the best shape I can. Today I found this site and instantly felt like I could attain my goal. I found a plan I believe will work for me, Michael Pates Total Sprint 22 week program seems to fit me best. I’m hoping to join this group to help myself and others. I would appreciate any feedback anyone can give me, and look forward to being part of discussions that will aid in my training.

Marc Elich

2011-01-02 2:22 PM
in reply to: #3272565

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
JCambras - 2011-01-02 1:36 PM

I'm also interested in joining this group.

I am a 27 year old teacher/coach from NYC.  In college I played rugby for a top-tier program, but over the last few years my fitness has been inconsistent.  Right now, I am 215 pounds (similar to what you were when you started) and I'd love to get that down to 180-185.  While I  have been lifting weights over the past year I have neglected serious cardio fitness.

I decided to run a triathlon about a month ago because I wanted to try a new sport, do something other than lift weights, and stop drinking/partying so much.  For the past month I have been trying to build a base by swimming (around 1000m a session), running 3-4 miles a session, and biking 30-40 min. Besides getting my weight down, my biggest challenge will be managing my workouts with my work schedule.

Looking for my first Sprint tri to be sometime in May and to run an Olympic tri sometime in June.

Thanks!
Jon Cambras

Welcome Jon!

Sounds like you've already had some success too. That's great, and I love that you come from a weight lifting backround.

Time is something we all have to deal with in our own ways. Personally, I'd love to use some of the BT training programs. But my job requires me to available 24/7. I'm an equity securities trader for a mutual fund company. I don't usually know when I'm going to have work Asian markets or European markets sometimes till 3pm the day of. So my workout schedule has to be more flexible than; do this much on monday and that much on tuesday. I try to look at the big picture more. Definitely, look at some of the plans BT provides, or other plans that you've found. Look at how much volume it calls for each week and try to accomplish that, while being mindful of recovery. For example, a plan calls for 1 rest day per week, 3 bikes at 35 miles each. You planned on biking monday but got called into work. First off, don't stress! This is supposed to be fun! Use monday as your rest day and bike on tuesday. Now say you had a run scheduled for Tuesday. Well, you could do your bike and run easy afterward for a brick workout. Just make sure that wednesday is an easier day so you are getting a recovery in. If you had another bike scheduled for Wednesday make it an easy spin to get all the lactic acid out of the legs. Recovery doesn't have to mean sitting on the couch. Infact, most people end up getting more soar by doing nothing on a recovery day rather than doing something light. Just don't over do it!!! Don't be afraid to finagle these plans around to make them fit your schedule. If you get too backed up don't be afraid to drop a workout either. It won't kill you to miss a couple of workouts on an 18 or 20 week plan.

What kind of plan are you following now Jon?
2011-01-02 2:31 PM
in reply to: #3272617

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
melich - 2011-01-02 2:18 PM

Brian,

I am a 26 year old Montana Native tired of looking and feeling 60. I have been active all my life, but not consistently. My weight ranges from 200lbs to 240lbs. I decided a few months ago I wanted to do a triathlon to give me some motivation. I’ve been swimming and running fairly consistently, but have little stamina. Last night I decided on a race which consequently gave me a deadline to get in the best shape I can. Today I found this site and instantly felt like I could attain my goal. I found a plan I believe will work for me, Michael Pates Total Sprint 22 week program seems to fit me best. I’m hoping to join this group to help myself and others. I would appreciate any feedback anyone can give me, and look forward to being part of discussions that will aid in my training.

Marc Elich

Glad you found us Marc!

The good news is.....you aren't 60!!!! LOL Being 26 gives you a HUGE advantage. I have a mountain biking buddy your age. I'm always sooooooo jealous of the progress he makes in a short amount of time. We did computrainer classes together last winter. I took 2 8 week courses and he took 1 8 week course. He partied it up and ate and drank whatever he wanted. I counted calories and maybe had a beer or two a month with friends (btw....I love beer!! so that was really hard for me) Both of us made the same percentage power gains by winters end. To make things worse, the bastid beat me in the first race of the year!!! LOL!!!!! Well.....truth be told, I was racing with a bad head cold, but I don't make excuses. He still beat me!!!

You're going to do great! What's you plan and goals for weight? How are you going to achieve them while your on your 22 week plan?
2011-01-02 2:56 PM

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
Alright!!! This is great!! the group is getting a little bigger!

I'm going to start doing something here that I'd like to do from time to time as I see themes that we are discussing. What I'm going to do is a Random Tip, or "RT" I'm a complete internet article junkie. I read tons articles on things related to this sport. I'd like to share some of those with you as themes come up in our discussions. What I'm seeing right now is that most of you guys are interested in weight loss.

RT:
Here's the bad news: In my experience weight loss is even more difficult while training for endurance sports. When a person is focussed on weight loss, typically that person will focus on diet and excercise. Great!! we are already excercizing so lets use that to compete in endurance sports.....right? Not exactly. When we are focussed on weight loss a lot of the excersize is really low intensity training that's great for fat burning, but doesn't do much for improvement in performance. I know...I know...there is the whole P90X thing focussed on interval training and the fact that your body will burn more fat while not excersizing to repair and re-build muscle broken down while working at high intensity. This seemingly works for the people in the commercials and I know some people have had some success with this personally. However, I find that training at higher intensity tends to make me more hungry!! That means it's 2x as hard to control my cravings!!! Frustrating....I know.

The good news: Weight loss can still be achieved while training. It takes a little more work and a little more effort to log food and excersize, but it can be done while you make great progress in performance for endurance sports.

Here's a couple links to some good articles dealing with this issue:

Dropping Weight, Not Performance on Active.com
http://www.active.com/cycling/Articles/Dropping_Weight__Not_Perform...

Effects of Weight Loss On Cycling Performance on Livestrong.com
http://www.livestrong.com/article/337110-effects-of-weight-loss-on-...

Lose Weight to Optimize Performance from Tri-ecoach.com
http://www.tri-ecoach.com/art27.htm
2011-01-02 3:03 PM

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
Make sure you guys try to use the logs here on BT if you can. Also, be sure you either add all of us in the group as friends or make your logs public so that we can all view each others logs.

thanks,
Brian
2011-01-02 6:40 PM

User image

Regular
Pittsburgh
Subject: RE: Meulen's 'Let's tri this Thing!' beginner mentor group-OPEN
Hi Brian! 

My name is Sarah and I would love to join your mentor group.

I am 23 years old and would love to become a triathlete. I never in a million years would have considered myself an athlete, I never played any sports growing up and up until a few years ago couldn't even run .25 mile without stopping. Sometime during college I began running and after graduation started to actually enjoy it. I did a few 10ks and always "dreamed" of running a half marathon. Well, this past November I accomplished that goal after a lot of diligent training--I ran the Philadelphia half marathon in 2:04 and have never been more proud of myself in my life. I am hooked on that feeling!

I have been taking spinning classes at my gym for about a year and this past October bought my first bike! Biking is definitely my favorite, it doesn't even seem like a workout to me it is so much fun! Unfortunately I live in Pittsburgh where the winters aren't very conducive to outdoor cycling so I'm sticking to spinning for now. 

Swimming is my weakness. I hated swimming so much that during gym class in school I lied and said I was allergic to chlorine to get out of it. I've been working really hard in the pool the past few weeks and have started to see improvements, but it definitely is the hardest of the sports for me.

I also would love to lose between 10-20lbs but find that it is so hard to lose weight while training because I get so hungry! Hopefully I'll be able to get some good nutrition tips here!

I am so excited to get started! 

2011-01-02 6:56 PM
in reply to: #3272625

Thanks for the advice!  Right now I'm in between coaching seasons (I coach football in the fall and rugby in the spring), so I'm free at night between 5-10.  This is huge, and I've been able to stack workouts two-three times a week the past three weeks.  I'm a bit worried what is going to happen once March hits and I'm working until 7-8 every night.  A gym around here has a 6am-7am triathlon training class, and I don't need to be at the school until 7:45, so I'm thinking about biting the bullet and just waking up early to get my workouts in.  The good thing about teaching is that I won't be surprised by the schedule so I can plan at the beginning of each week to try to get close to my hours.

I'm planning on following the 16 week 2x balanced training plan on the site.  Since the gym I go to is pretty awesome and they have spin classes every night, a full size pool, and a 400m track, I think this can be realistic if I just get there even when I'm utterly exhausted at the end of the day.  I recently sold my TV and cut my cable to help pay for the gym...just more added motivation to get out of the apt.

I started a log so I'll make it public and log my first session of the year tonight. 

Thanks again - I've read your replies to others and you seem to have a great attitude.  I'm really excited to be part of this group. 
2011-01-02 7:58 PM
in reply to: #3272986

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
sbux87 - 2011-01-02 6:40 PM

Hi Brian! 

My name is Sarah and I would love to join your mentor group.

I am 23 years old and would love to become a triathlete. I never in a million years would have considered myself an athlete, I never played any sports growing up and up until a few years ago couldn't even run .25 mile without stopping. Sometime during college I began running and after graduation started to actually enjoy it. I did a few 10ks and always "dreamed" of running a half marathon. Well, this past November I accomplished that goal after a lot of diligent training--I ran the Philadelphia half marathon in 2:04 and have never been more proud of myself in my life. I am hooked on that feeling!

I have been taking spinning classes at my gym for about a year and this past October bought my first bike! Biking is definitely my favorite, it doesn't even seem like a workout to me it is so much fun! Unfortunately I live in Pittsburgh where the winters aren't very conducive to outdoor cycling so I'm sticking to spinning for now. 

Swimming is my weakness. I hated swimming so much that during gym class in school I lied and said I was allergic to chlorine to get out of it. I've been working really hard in the pool the past few weeks and have started to see improvements, but it definitely is the hardest of the sports for me.

I also would love to lose between 10-20lbs but find that it is so hard to lose weight while training because I get so hungry! Hopefully I'll be able to get some good nutrition tips here!

I am so excited to get started! 

Welcome Sarah!

Congratulations on your progress so far. Doing a half mary already??....wow!!! NICE!!! Keep it up and I'm sure you'll be able to accomplish your goals.

Swimming seems to be a weak spot for a lot of new triathletes, including myself. The good news is, swimming is a small part of a triathlon. You won't win the race in the swim. However, you can lose it in the swim. Fortunately, most of swimming is technique. I think most people can get to where they swim around 2min per 100m with some good coaching on technique. Those gains can come pretty quickly and before you know it you're a midle of the pack swimminer (MOP). That puts you right in the race, and if your a strong cyclist or runner your still within striking distance for a podium spot!!

OK.......

a couple of hunger tips that have helped me out:

1. Drink a tall glass of water before meals to help you feel full faster
2. Keep some raw unsalted almonds around if you feel hungry between meals and munch on a handful.
3. If you feel hungry after dinner, especially right before bed, stick to a small protein snack like a small portion of cottage cheese, a spoonful of peanut butter (prefferable natural), or maybe even a glass of milk.
4. Make sure your eating before and after workouts, like some fruit pre work out to boost those sugar levels (bananna's are great) and 3:1 or 4:1 carb to protein snack after a workout if you can't eat a full meal right away. (I like Cliff's bars)
2011-01-02 8:04 PM
in reply to: #3273008

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
JCambras - 2011-01-02 6:56 PM

Thanks for the advice!  Right now I'm in between coaching seasons (I coach football in the fall and rugby in the spring), so I'm free at night between 5-10.  This is huge, and I've been able to stack workouts two-three times a week the past three weeks.  I'm a bit worried what is going to happen once March hits and I'm working until 7-8 every night.  A gym around here has a 6am-7am triathlon training class, and I don't need to be at the school until 7:45, so I'm thinking about biting the bullet and just waking up early to get my workouts in.  The good thing about teaching is that I won't be surprised by the schedule so I can plan at the beginning of each week to try to get close to my hours.

I'm planning on following the 16 week 2x balanced training plan on the site.  Since the gym I go to is pretty awesome and they have spin classes every night, a full size pool, and a 400m track, I think this can be realistic if I just get there even when I'm utterly exhausted at the end of the day.  I recently sold my TV and cut my cable to help pay for the gym...just more added motivation to get out of the apt.

I started a log so I'll make it public and log my first session of the year tonight. 

Thanks again - I've read your replies to others and you seem to have a great attitude.  I'm really excited to be part of this group. 

Thanks Jon, I appreciate that!

Hey Jon, if you had a free period or two would there be a way to head out on a run from the school? Maybe, use the showers there afterwards to clean up. Seems like that could be a great way to squeeze some of your short runs in during the week before you get to worn out from work and leave you some good time after work for other things. Just a thought.

Also, trust me on this, as you progress you will feel less and less tired at the end of the day doing your workouts. I know it seems like your exhausted now after working all day. But that goes away after a while. You really have to force yourself to get out there in the beginning, but you'll find yourself having more and more energy as you keep doing this tri thing.
2011-01-02 8:27 PM

Regular
Goleta / Santa Barbara

Can I join your mentor group,  My name is Dale and I am married and 37 years old.  I have been training generaly for the past year doing a variety of many different exercises.  I am pretty fit right now.  My firt Triathilon is in March so I have stepped up the training.  It will be an Olympic Triathilon as I have done several sprint distances on my own during my training.  I am new to this site and have just started my training log.  Thanks.

2011-01-02 9:16 PM
in reply to: #3273185

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
shrevemaintenance - 2011-01-02 8:27 PM

Can I join your mentor group,  My name is Dale and I am married and 37 years old.  I have been training generaly for the past year doing a variety of many different exercises.  I am pretty fit right now.  My firt Triathilon is in March so I have stepped up the training.  It will be an Olympic Triathilon as I have done several sprint distances on my own during my training.  I am new to this site and have just started my training log.  Thanks.

There's still plenty of room Dale. Welcome. Let us know if you have any questions as you step up that training, and congrats on already completing those sprints!

2011-01-02 11:17 PM

New user

Joining your group! Your bio is inspiring and I, myself have go e through some challenges and adversities. I was diagnosed with breast cancer in January 2010. I spent the last year going through three surgeries, chemotherapy, and radiation. I am still recovering from my last surgery as I write this but should be healed up well enough in the next few weeks to get serious with my training. My mind is ready to get going, I just need my body to play along with me with your guidance. I appreciate your willingness to share your experience with me.Rhea
2011-01-03 9:34 AM

Veteran
Pittsburgh, PA
Hello,

I would like to join your group if possible. I work full-time, teach yoga, and have two young boys, but I still feel motivated to train as much as I can for my first sprint tri in August. I've always said that I could never run and would consistently get side stitches after just five minutes of running. After seeing my husband complete his first tri last summer, I was determined that I was going to do one as well. I joined a couch to 5K and completed my first race on Thanksgiving. I am so excited about running now that I am doing a 5-miler race this Sunday and plan on doing a 10K by March. I bike and take spin classes and swim a couple of times a week, however, I know that I need to be a much stronger swimmer for the race! Looking forward to getting some tips from you!

Thanks,
Erin
2011-01-03 12:42 PM

I was wondering if I could join your mentor group?  Thanks.

I am a 40 yo married female - Mother of 1,  wanting to get back into shape and finish my first Sprint Tri on August 20th this summer.
2011-01-03 12:56 PM
in reply to: #3273363

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
LetTheSparksFly - 2011-01-02 11:17 PM

Joining your group! Your bio is inspiring and I, myself have go e through some challenges and adversities. I was diagnosed with breast cancer in January 2010. I spent the last year going through three surgeries, chemotherapy, and radiation. I am still recovering from my last surgery as I write this but should be healed up well enough in the next few weeks to get serious with my training. My mind is ready to get going, I just need my body to play along with me with your guidance. I appreciate your willingness to share your experience with me.Rhea

Welcome Rhea!

Thanks, but I think I'm the one inspired. You've been through A LOT!! I'm glad you found us. I hope your recovery is going well.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Meulen's 'Let's tri this Thing!' beginner mentor group-CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 56