BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kaburns1214 Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 87

2010-12-21 11:08 AM

User image

Pro
Nutmeg State
Subject: kaburns1214 Mentor Group - CLOSED
I can start mentoring now and will be around all through the holiday season.

Name: kaburns1214 (Kelly)

Story: Growing up I was a swimmer.  I spent my Saturdays at swim meets sitting at the side of a pool for hours on end waiting my turn to swim for 1 minute and 3 seconds.  I swam competatively through high school and then took up water polo in college (I was too slow to swim for the college team but fast enough to play polo).  I started running in law school to help loose weight and then picked up biking after ankle reconstruction surgery when I was 25.  Post-surgery I decided I needed a goal to help me get back into shape so I registered and trained for my first sprint triathlon.  I was hooked.  I have now been participating in triathlons for 5 years. 

Family Status: I just got married in September of 2010.  I met my husband (Shaun / cubefarmgopher) at a BT get together at IM Louisville in 2008.  I thought he was cute and funny and pursued him.  The rest is history.  We have a dog (Abigail) and three cats (Wilbur, Missy and Beatrice).

Current Training: I am currently working with Coach Doug Maclean at QT2 Systems.  We've been working together for about 8 months and I've made huge gains (I took over a half an hour off my HIM time and 5 minutes off my Half Marathon time so far).  Prior to working with Doug I was self coached.  At the moment my training is focused on building aerobic base -- lots of consitent, fairly easy running and biking.  My "A" race for the year is IMLP.  Over the next few months I'll be working on building additional base volume and slowly adding in speed work. 

2010 Races: St. Anthony's Olympic, Patriot Half Iron, Mossman Olympic, Cranberry Sprint & Olympic, FIRMman Half Iron, HalfMax Long Course National Championships

Planned 2011 Races:  St. Anthony's, Rev 3 Quassy, Ironman Lake Placid, USAT Nationals, Augusta 70.3, Ironman Florida

Weightloss: Body composition is my biggest limiter and I struggle with getting to a good racing weight.  Right now I am trying to loose 20 lbs before IMLP and then another 10 lbs (for a total of 30lbs) before IMFL.  I am meticulous about logging food, which helps, but its tough.

What Will Make Me a Good Mentor: I love training for and racing triathlons; its a huge part of my life.  Over the last five years, I picked up a lot of personal experience and have been a big dork and probably read every training book in existence.  I have a lot of knowledge that I want to be able to share and hopefully help others get as excited about triathlon as I am. 

Edited by kaburns1214 2010-12-23 9:19 AM

2010-12-22 2:59 PM
in reply to: #3256199

User image

Pro
CyFair
Subject: RE: kaburns1214 Mentor Group - OPEN
Hi Kelly.  Look forward to working with you.

NAME: UHCoog/Scott

STORY:
  I was always the chunky kid who excelled at sports.  I played several sports though childhood and played HS Baseball.  I was recruited by several small schools prior to a knee injury.  I had always been big but without sports and joining a fraternity I ballooned up to 250-260 in college.  Once I was married and moved into the professional world I found power lifting.  I pretty much settled in to a routine and hovered around 220-240 in weight depending on training protocol.  Last march a friend of mine registered for a sprint tri.  I found this idea intriguing and knowing that staying the weight I was wasn’t healthy long term I switched focus.  From then to now I’ve done 3 sprint tris and my weight has gone to 179.  Currently I watch my diet closely (IF), lift and train for tris.  This is the healthiest and lightest I have been in my adult life.  I’m ready to go whole hog at triathlons and see exactly how good I can get.

FAMILY STATUS: Married with 2 daughters under the age of 4.

CURRENT TRAINING: Currently I’m training for a half mary in February, but still spending a ton of time on the bike as well.  Unfortunately all the pools I have access to are outdoors and swim time has been hampered by the weather.  As a former power lifter I still LOVE to lift weights so that is part of, granted a shrinking part of, my routine.  I workout in some form or fashion 5-6 days a week.

GOALS:
 So far I’ve been a MOP finisher.  I’d like to fist and foremost extend the distance out I race to Olys and HIMs.  Secondly I’d like to creep ever closer to FOP status.

2010 RACES: Clear Lake Sprint, Monster 2 Sprint, Katy Sprint

2011 RACES:  Cowtown ½ Marathon on Feb. 28th, Gateway to the Bay Oly on April 3rd, MS 150 (bike ride from Houston to Austin) on April 16th and 17th, Bridgeland Sprint Tri on August 7th, Austin HIM on Oct. 23rd.  Also looking for something in the June/July area.

WEIGHTLOSS:  March of last year I weighed in at 237.  I used a couple months of ketogenic dieting and then triathlon training to get down to 190 before racing my first sprint.  Currently I weigh in at 179 and can almost see my abs.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE:
 I know how to be coached.  I listen, process, and implement.  I also tend to go full speed at everything I have a passion for.  Triathlons and family pretty much fit that bill right now.   

2010-12-22 3:31 PM
in reply to: #3258020

User image

Pro
Nutmeg State
uhcoog - 2010-12-22 3:59 PM Hi Kelly.  Look forward to working with you.

NAME: UHCoog/Scott

STORY:
  I was always the chunky kid who excelled at sports.  I played several sports though childhood and played HS Baseball.  I was recruited by several small schools prior to a knee injury.  I had always been big but without sports and joining a fraternity I ballooned up to 250-260 in college.  Once I was married and moved into the professional world I found power lifting.  I pretty much settled in to a routine and hovered around 220-240 in weight depending on training protocol.  Last march a friend of mine registered for a sprint tri.  I found this idea intriguing and knowing that staying the weight I was wasn’t healthy long term I switched focus.  From then to now I’ve done 3 sprint tris and my weight has gone to 179.  Currently I watch my diet closely (IF), lift and train for tris.  This is the healthiest and lightest I have been in my adult life.  I’m ready to go whole hog at triathlons and see exactly how good I can get.

FAMILY STATUS: Married with 2 daughters under the age of 4.

CURRENT TRAINING: Currently I’m training for a half mary in February, but still spending a ton of time on the bike as well.  Unfortunately all the pools I have access to are outdoors and swim time has been hampered by the weather.  As a former power lifter I still LOVE to lift weights so that is part of, granted a shrinking part of, my routine.  I workout in some form or fashion 5-6 days a week.

GOALS:
 So far I’ve been a MOP finisher.  I’d like to fist and foremost extend the distance out I race to Olys and HIMs.  Secondly I’d like to creep ever closer to FOP status.

2010 RACES: Clear Lake Sprint, Monster 2 Sprint, Katy Sprint

2011 RACES:  Cowtown ½ Marathon on Feb. 28th, Gateway to the Bay Oly on April 3rd, MS 150 (bike ride from Houston to Austin) on April 16th and 17th, Bridgeland Sprint Tri on August 7th, Austin HIM on Oct. 23rd.  Also looking for something in the June/July area.

WEIGHTLOSS:  March of last year I weighed in at 237.  I used a couple months of ketogenic dieting and then triathlon training to get down to 190 before racing my first sprint.  Currently I weigh in at 179 and can almost see my abs.

I know how to be coached.  I listen, process, and implement.  I also tend to go full speed at everything I have a passion for.  Triathlons and family pretty much fit that bill right now.   

Welcome!  I completly relate to your listen, process implement mentality.  I know with me, I'm always trying to absorb more information and then figure out how I can apply it to my training.

We're both running half marathons on February 28 (I'm doing the Hyannis Half on Cape Cod).  Yours will be a little warmer than mine, but it will be nice to have a race "together."

I'm really curious about how your ketogenic dieting works with trailthon training -- I know I really struggle with cravings for sugar and carbs, especially when I'm in full blown trianing mode.
2010-12-22 3:46 PM

User image

Pro
CyFair
I did keto right at the beginning of tri training.  Doing it at the sprint level isn't that bad as long as your go bananas with your refeeds.  I think at the longer distances it would just be too much to go fully ketogenic.  Maybe carbs pre and post training would work.  I personally like to cycle carbs at the moment.  I go high carbs on days with long training sessions, moderate carbs on days that are strictly weight room or shorter sbr sessions and trace carbs on off days.  Weight loss has slowed a lot,  but the cravings aren't there either.
2010-12-22 5:37 PM

User image

Veteran
Cuernavaca, Mexico

NAME: itziaol / itzia
A real beginner

HISTORY:  I’m 44 years old.   In the past 5 years I’ve concentrated on working and studding, but after looking at my holiday pictures this Summer, I decided I had to do something about my figure and started dieting and exercising.  I have knee problems, so I was afraid they were going to hurt if I ran, but a friend gave me a programme to follow and I was alright.   I ran my first 10K race in November.  Then I started to think of participating in a sprint triathlon as a goal to accomplish when I’m 45.

I practically grew up swimming.  I’m a tropical fish.  I trained with a diving team and a swimming team as a teenager, but my passion was always classical ballet.  I have no experience in riding a road bike, although I used to ride to school and I ride a mountain bike from time to time.   I’ve been a good girl, so Santa is bringing me a road bike; a used one to start with.  Therefore, I would appreciate any advice you can give me in order to help him chose it.

FAMILY STATUS:  I’m married and have two kids, a 10 year old girl and a 14 year old boy.  My family is used to supporting me in my personal projects, whether they are building a house, going back to work, aiming for a promotion, doing a Masters, etc.

CURRENT TRAINING: I’ve been training 4 times a week so far, but I’m willing to do 6 in order to get ready.  For the moment I’m recovering from a sprained ankle.  The paradox is that I did not injure myself training, but while calmly walking down some steps at work.  :-S  I guess I’ll have to start from scratch now.

GOALS: I’ve been dreaming of doing a sprint triathlon in May, but since I was injured, I guess it would be more realistic to aim for August and perhaps October.

WEIGHTLOSS:  I’ve lost 11lbs, which is not a lot, nevertheless my body composition has changed.  I still have to lose at least another 19lbs to reach my ideal weight.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE:  I am very structured and disciplined.  Once I set my mind to obtaining something I don’t stop until I get it.  I’ve always been a good student and a hard worker.  I’m also a good researcher and I tend to spend an awful lot of time in front of the computer.  So even though I might not know much about this subject, I can find things out and share them with the group.  I know that setting my self goals and obtaining them will build up the confidence I need to make some overdue personal decisions.  So… I need to do this.  I hope you accept me as your mentee, even though I’m such an old beginner.   
2010-12-22 6:53 PM

User image

Expert

NAME: rizer22/Jeff

HISTORY:  I’m 33 years old.    After highschool and some college, I've always been the guy in and out of the gym.  Golf was my game, and would play that twice a week.  Until this past summer.  A father of a kid in my son's class, came over for my son's birthday, and we started chatting about how he mountain bike races.  Somehow, without trying, he convinced me, and I bought a bike 3 days later, entered my first mountain bike race 3 weeks after that.  I have all but given up golf.  So 2010 was my first experience in any type of true endurance sports, other than the occasional 3 mile run here and there.  Now I seem to be addicted to at least mountain bike racing for now.

FAMILY STATUS:
  Married, with two awesome boys, age 6 and 3.

CURRENT TRAINING:
I've been back training for about a month now.  I had a slight medical scare in September which has sidelined me for a couple months.  I had an infection in the lining of my brain, surgery, followed by a severe reaction to a potent antibiotic, giving me a four day visit to the hospital.  I have been cleared, but amazed at how much stamina I lost. I ride my mountain bike twice a week, in the bitter cold, with the guy that got me into it. I also do the eliptical machine 4 days a week, since I do not own a road bike yet.  (February, Specialized Roubaix Comp, can't wait)

GOALS:
I have a friend that completed a HIM this past year, and two others that did sprints.  Now I am intrigued.  I am not a great runner as far as distant, but feel I am a fast sprinter.  Always was in high school at least.  I can build the endurance with motivation.  Swimming: I can swim, but I am sure my technique is terrible, and the thought of all those swimmers in a lake or ocean at once, scares the bleep out of me.  My goals are at least one or two sprints, but still focusing on mountain bike racing.  One of those sprints may be an off road one.

WEIGHTLOSS:  I don't really have a weight issue.  5' 9', 164 pounds.  I tend to eat pretty good, but i do love Pizza and Reese's, but have pretty good will power.

Hopes:  I am hoping to gain some great knowledge, and lose the fear of doing the sprint.  Descending a long technical, rocky downhill on a mountain bike, does not scare me.  Actually, I love it.  But swimming for some reason with that many people does.  I also am hoping to gain some more nutrition knowledge, and get a more structured training plan, instead of just doing whatever.

Thank you for taking your time to help all of us.  Please add me to your program if you will.

2010-12-22 6:54 PM

Name: liz6ard (Liz)

Story:  I planned competive sports most of my life, but fell in love with softball. Played all thru college and am now looking forward to getting competive in other sports. Running and weight trainings has always been part of my lifestyle but it was not until this last year that I needed a goal other than hitting the gym 4-5 times a week.   I recently have completed a half marathon and felt it wasn't enough. I want more and want to challenge myself in other areas other than running. 

Family Status: I am a military wife with a beautiful almost 5 yr old son....married 6 1/2 years!!  We also have a dog named German Sheperd name Domino who thinks she can snuggle easily on the couch at 65 lbs...LOL.  I've known my husband since childhood and he too shares a passion of challenging oneself physically and emotionally.

Current Training:  I am currently training to run another half marathon in Galveston in February.  I run three times a wk; intervals, tempo and long and also weight training 2-3 times a wk.

Past Races: Beach to Bay, Corpus Christi, Tx; 2008, 2009; Rock n Roll Half Marathon, San Antonio, Tx; 2010

Future Races: Mardi Gras Half Marathon Galveston, Tx, Feb; other half marathons that are in the area such as Seabrook and Davy Crockett Bear Chase.  Unsure of first sprint marathon, not registered yet but plan to do one in San Antonio, Tx. area in 2011.

Looking forward to receiving sound advice and encouragement thru this process, as this type of training is unknown to me.  Concerns are limited availability to swimming pools and choosing the right equipment.  Also I try to eat clean as best as I can, harder around the holidays (LOL) but any additional info on nutrition will be appreciated.

Liz T.

2010-12-22 8:21 PM

User image

Master
Albuquerque
Got room for another relative newbie? I'm in if you'll have me!
2010-12-22 8:55 PM

Extreme Veteran
I'd like to join up if there's still room.

I'll do the bio in a day or two.

Bruce.
2010-12-22 9:00 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I'd like to join if there is still room?
2010-12-22 9:05 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Price, UT
My name is Terry and I would love to join your mentoring group
About me:
I am 55 years old and am starting my second season as a triathlete. I completed two sprint tris and two reverse mini's last year. strating last year I could not run a mile or swim 400 yds. Mostly I Mt biked. But I recently completed a 10 k. I have had 4 scopes on my rt knee and have to be careful, but I have found that mulit sport training has bee really good for it.
Family Status: I am married and we own a big black dog. I help in raising two grandkids. I am an artist and parttime sports writer for our local paper. I live in a small town in Utah and have limited training partners so I look to this site for help and support.
Current Training: using the maintance plan, but struggling a bit 

2010 Races: Lunatic reverse tri (2) Scofield Sprint distance (7800 feet altitude) Kokopelli Sprint St George UT

Planned 2011 Races: St George Tri (May) Scofield (July) and Koko (Sept)

Weightloss: I am currently 20 lbs more that I would like and need to adjust my eating. I am looking for a good book with a plan and recipes to help make the adjustment.

Goals: beat my PR from last season. Loss some weight. Stay Healthy and have fun

2010-12-22 9:06 PM

User image

I"d realy like to join this mentor group if you're still accepting

I am very much a beginner triathlete having only competed in my first one (short course) in November this year. I've been training regularly since to keep up my fitness as their is another in Jan i would like to tackle.

I particularly need help on running!

My goal for 2011 is to compete in a full length triathlon before the end of summer (i'm in australia, so thats basically 3mths time for me to achieve this goal). After that, i'll re-assess my goals, but for me to complete a full tri would be one hell of a challenge and i am pumped at the thought of it.

Look forward to chatting!
2010-12-22 9:40 PM

User image

Master
Albuquerque
Here's my bio, in case I'm in :D

NAME: abqtj (Steve)

STORY:
  Played virtually everything growing up, but never a "runner". Always a decent swimmer, but never on a team or formal instruction after age 4-5. Biked some in HS/College, but again nothing formal. Did a couple of centuries then, but fell out of it about 20 years ago. Most of my adult life I've spent playing ice hockey (goalie) and enjoy it quite a bit. Friend talked me in to triathlons last year when I bought myself a road bike as my 40th bday gift. So I signed up for a sprint in July 2010 and had a blast. 

FAMILY STATUS: Living in sin with my girlfriend of 18+ years (Diane). No kids, just two crazy Labs (Jasper and Spencer).

CURRENT TRAINING: Nothing concrete at the moment. I try and run 2-3 times per week and get on the bike as my schedule allows. Have not swam since November. I've gone from running 1 mile this year as a long run to currently hitting 3-4 miles with little problem. Also my swimming has gone from gassed at 25-50yds to knocking out 2000-3000yds for a session and not being terribly beat up after. Very proud of the swimming improvement. Now I just need to be a little quicker at every discipline. 

GOALS: 
 Just keep improving and learning. Conquer race day anxiety. Want to do an Oly this year. Long term goal is to be able to complete a half marathon. 

2010 RACES: Santa Fe Tri (reverse sprint), Hotter 'n Hell 100 (50 miler), Jingle Bell Sprint (DNS, sick race morning).

2011 RACES:  Likely: Santa Fe Tri, Jay Benson Tri (sprint), maybe 1-2 other sprints. An Olympic distance will be my primary focus, just haven't chosen it yet (either Elephantman or Cochiti Tri). Also will be doing the Hotter 'n Hell 100 again, this time the full 100 miles. Big Dream is to complete the Triple Threat at the Hotter 'n Hell (13 mile MTB Race, 100 mile road, half marathon).

WEIGHTLOSS:  Since this pertains to me too...Started this in March of 2010 at about 233. Currently hover in the 212-215 range. Done solely with exercise and a little bit of paying attention to diet. Biggest change and achievement for me was dropping my Diet Coke habit. Went from 12-15 on a LIGHT day for the past 20+ years to zero cold turkey. Diet's always been iffy for me, being a restaurant GM.

Love forums and especially the support on this one. Willing to listen and learn and hopefully have something to offer along the way.

2010-12-22 10:02 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Heres my bio as well...

NAME: DDVMM

STORY:
I am a black belt in TKD and have been an on and off runner for years. I have been running consistently for over a year again. I was diagnosed with metastatic thyroid cancer on April 9, 2010 and have been through surgery and radiation in the last year, but I have been training throughout and think that is why I bounced back so quickly!

FAMILY STATUS: Married to a great, supportive husband, 4 kiddos (ages 2,7,9,11) with crazy schedules, work a little more than PT, girl scout troop leader, cub scout den leader.

CURRENT TRAINING:Running 3-4 times a week slowing working my mileage up. I bike occasionally as well but nothing regular. I don't have anywhere to swim in the winter.

GOALS:
To keep getting better! To keep learning!

2010 RACES: Couple 5K's

2011 RACES: Half marathon in April 2011 - 1 year from my diagnosis. July 23 is my first sprint tri and I am very excited.

WEIGHTLOSS:  I probably don't *need* to lose weight but I think I would feel better if I took 5-10 pounds off. I think I will add some 5-10K's in there as well.

I love online forums and from what I have read on this site, there seems to be a lot of support and knowledge. I am a pretty good cheerleader too!

2010-12-22 10:24 PM

User image

Master
Elgin, IL
I would like to join if there's room

Name: Carrie 639 (first race number)

Story: I played ice hockey for many, many years, but I am the most injury prone person I know.  After severl ankle surgeries and a blown ACL, I hung the skates up.  I wandered around for a fews years trying to find something to keep me busy. I told a trainer I would love to do tris, but couldn't do the runs, she mentioned aquabikes and so 2 years ago my journey into triathlons started. 

My limiter is ABSOLUTELY running.  I am slow, have a higher then I would like HR when running, it spikes much easier running, and I seem to be injury prone in this area.  I need and can use all the advice I can get in this area.

Family Status: Single, 2 chocolate labs (Bella and Briggs, Mom and pup) and a cat named Tag.

Current Training: I currently swim quite a bit (20-25K yards per month) and am starting to get back into biking (underside is not liking this) and trying to get back into running. Did my first 1/2 mary end of November and have some IT band issues I am working through right now. 

2010 Races: Lots of 5k's and 10k's and 1 1/2 mary, 1 sprint tri, a couple of sprint relay tris w/ my sister (massive knee pain for most of summer from running) and 2 half aquabikes

Planned 2011 Races:  Still up in the air, will get it figured out next week to take advantage of some discounts, but for sure a 1/2 mary in April or May, Racine HIM in July and Chicago Marathon in Oct.  May be more, but those are the A's.  Goal is to improve on 1/2 mary time of 2:52 (was sick before race, sucky time, should be easy to PR), and finish Racine and Chicago (preferably under 7 hrs and 6 hrs respectively)

Weightloss: Lost about 30lbs in last 18 months and can stand to lose lots more!!!  Still an Athena . . .

What Will Make Me a Good Mentor: I ask tons of questions and am not shy!!! 

2010-12-23 1:56 AM
in reply to: #3258532

User image

Oops i didnt use the template when i posted above, here's mine now Laughing

Name: Frances

Story:
I've played team sports forever, predominantly cricket and field hockey. Since moving down south though sports dropped off the bandwagon pretty quickly, really dont know why, although i have been playing beach vollyball for the past 5yrs.

A few years ago i decided to try cycling to work to save on fuel and instantly fell in love with it. My bike is nothing special, its mtn bike x road bike (which makes tri's a little tougher haha). Since then i have become the Wellness Advocate for my workplace and so am constantly looking out for ways to help people get/keep fit. One of my colleagues brought into me an advert for a Womens Triathlon....and that was the beginning!

Family Status: Single.

Current Training: I train most days of the week. I definatly could use some direction on training. I currently swim mon and wed mornings, but im very slow so am only doing 600m in half hr. I cycle to work 3 days a week (which is 8km return) and then do a 20km cycle on sundays. I have plans to buy a real road bike over xmas and will join a cycle club. I run 3 times a week, this is also something i need to work at, i only manage 2kms. Swimming and running ive only been training on for 2mths, neither of which i have done before, so total beginner.

2010 Races: Nina's Womens Triathlon (Nov)

Planned 2011 Races
:  Bunbury club Tri's (Eaton x 2, Wellie Dam), Hillarys Womens Tri. Thats this summer (being in Aus im in Summer now), i havent thought about longer term for 2011 yet, mainly as for 2mths next spring i intend to be trekking the Bibbi track.

Weightloss
: I have lost 10kg in the past 6mths thanks predominantly to the Tri training but also im starting to get a handle on portion control (although rather hard when training makes you hungrier haha).

What Will Make Me a Good Mentee:
I'm virtually a blank canvas, ready for instruction, so i can get out and take on these Triathlons!

Edited by Grilledmonkey 2010-12-23 1:56 AM

2010-12-23 5:50 AM
in reply to: #3258272

User image

Pro
Nutmeg State
itziaol - 2010-12-22 6:37 PM

NAME: itziaol / itzia
A real beginner

HISTORY:  I’m 44 years old.   In the past 5 years I’ve concentrated on working and studding, but after looking at my holiday pictures this Summer, I decided I had to do something about my figure and started dieting and exercising.  I have knee problems, so I was afraid they were going to hurt if I ran, but a friend gave me a programme to follow and I was alright.   I ran my first 10K race in November.  Then I started to think of participating in a sprint triathlon as a goal to accomplish when I’m 45.

I practically grew up swimming.  I’m a tropical fish.  I trained with a diving team and a swimming team as a teenager, but my passion was always classical ballet.  I have no experience in riding a road bike, although I used to ride to school and I ride a mountain bike from time to time.   I’ve been a good girl, so Santa is bringing me a road bike; a used one to start with.  Therefore, I would appreciate any advice you can give me in order to help him chose it.

FAMILY STATUS:  I’m married and have two kids, a 10 year old girl and a 14 year old boy.  My family is used to supporting me in my personal projects, whether they are building a house, going back to work, aiming for a promotion, doing a Masters, etc.

CURRENT TRAINING: I’ve been training 4 times a week so far, but I’m willing to do 6 in order to get ready.  For the moment I’m recovering from a sprained ankle.  The paradox is that I did not injure myself training, but while calmly walking down some steps at work.  :-S  I guess I’ll have to start from scratch now.

GOALS: I’ve been dreaming of doing a sprint triathlon in May, but since I was injured, I guess it would be more realistic to aim for August and perhaps October.

WEIGHTLOSS:  I’ve lost 11lbs, which is not a lot, nevertheless my body composition has changed.  I still have to lose at least another 19lbs to reach my ideal weight.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE:  I am very structured and disciplined.  Once I set my mind to obtaining something I don’t stop until I get it.  I’ve always been a good student and a hard worker.  I’m also a good researcher and I tend to spend an awful lot of time in front of the computer.  So even though I might not know much about this subject, I can find things out and share them with the group.  I know that setting my self goals and obtaining them will build up the confidence I need to make some overdue personal decisions.  So… I need to do this.  I hope you accept me as your mentee, even though I’m such an old beginner.   

Welcome aboard!  IMO biking is the easiest of the three to pick up on (and swimming the hardest) so with your background you're well on your way!
2010-12-23 5:53 AM
in reply to: #3258333

User image

Pro
Nutmeg State
rizer22 - 2010-12-22 7:53 PM

NAME: rizer22/Jeff

HISTORY:  I’m 33 years old.    After highschool and some college, I've always been the guy in and out of the gym.  Golf was my game, and would play that twice a week.  Until this past summer.  A father of a kid in my son's class, came over for my son's birthday, and we started chatting about how he mountain bike races.  Somehow, without trying, he convinced me, and I bought a bike 3 days later, entered my first mountain bike race 3 weeks after that.  I have all but given up golf.  So 2010 was my first experience in any type of true endurance sports, other than the occasional 3 mile run here and there.  Now I seem to be addicted to at least mountain bike racing for now.

FAMILY STATUS:
  Married, with two awesome boys, age 6 and 3.

CURRENT TRAINING:
I've been back training for about a month now.  I had a slight medical scare in September which has sidelined me for a couple months.  I had an infection in the lining of my brain, surgery, followed by a severe reaction to a potent antibiotic, giving me a four day visit to the hospital.  I have been cleared, but amazed at how much stamina I lost. I ride my mountain bike twice a week, in the bitter cold, with the guy that got me into it. I also do the eliptical machine 4 days a week, since I do not own a road bike yet.  (February, Specialized Roubaix Comp, can't wait)

GOALS:
I have a friend that completed a HIM this past year, and two others that did sprints.  Now I am intrigued.  I am not a great runner as far as distant, but feel I am a fast sprinter.  Always was in high school at least.  I can build the endurance with motivation.  Swimming: I can swim, but I am sure my technique is terrible, and the thought of all those swimmers in a lake or ocean at once, scares the bleep out of me.  My goals are at least one or two sprints, but still focusing on mountain bike racing.  One of those sprints may be an off road one.

WEIGHTLOSS:  I don't really have a weight issue.  5' 9', 164 pounds.  I tend to eat pretty good, but i do love Pizza and Reese's, but have pretty good will power.

Hopes:  I am hoping to gain some great knowledge, and lose the fear of doing the sprint.  Descending a long technical, rocky downhill on a mountain bike, does not scare me.  Actually, I love it.  But swimming for some reason with that many people does.  I also am hoping to gain some more nutrition knowledge, and get a more structured training plan, instead of just doing whatever.

Thank you for taking your time to help all of us.  Please add me to your program if you will.

Congrats on getting healthy and getting back into the game.  If you can MTB (especially the long technical descents) open water swimming with a group will be no problem, you just need a little practice. 

Welcome aboard!

2010-12-23 5:57 AM
in reply to: #3258334

User image

Pro
Nutmeg State
liz6ard - 2010-12-22 7:54 PM

Name: liz6ard (Liz)

Story:  I planned competive sports most of my life, but fell in love with softball. Played all thru college and am now looking forward to getting competive in other sports. Running and weight trainings has always been part of my lifestyle but it was not until this last year that I needed a goal other than hitting the gym 4-5 times a week.   I recently have completed a half marathon and felt it wasn't enough. I want more and want to challenge myself in other areas other than running. 

Family Status: I am a military wife with a beautiful almost 5 yr old son....married 6 1/2 years!!  We also have a dog named German Sheperd name Domino who thinks she can snuggle easily on the couch at 65 lbs...LOL.  I've known my husband since childhood and he too shares a passion of challenging oneself physically and emotionally.

Current Training:  I am currently training to run another half marathon in Galveston in February.  I run three times a wk; intervals, tempo and long and also weight training 2-3 times a wk.

Past Races: Beach to Bay, Corpus Christi, Tx; 2008, 2009; Rock n Roll Half Marathon, San Antonio, Tx; 2010

Future Races: Mardi Gras Half Marathon Galveston, Tx, Feb; other half marathons that are in the area such as Seabrook and Davy Crockett Bear Chase.  Unsure of first sprint marathon, not registered yet but plan to do one in San Antonio, Tx. area in 2011.

Looking forward to receiving sound advice and encouragement thru this process, as this type of training is unknown to me.  Concerns are limited availability to swimming pools and choosing the right equipment.  Also I try to eat clean as best as I can, harder around the holidays (LOL) but any additional info on nutrition will be appreciated.

Liz T.

If you can run a half, the bridge to triathlons is not a tough one.  You're our second Texan (uhcoog is also from Texas).  With you running the Mardi Gras half on February 28th that makes three of us with half marathons on that day -- should be a good one!
2010-12-23 5:59 AM
in reply to: #3258412

User image

Pro
Nutmeg State
abqtj - 2010-12-22 9:21 PM Got room for another relative newbie? I'm in if you'll have me!

Would love to have you!

Now that you're in, let us know a little more about you!
2010-12-23 5:59 AM
in reply to: #3258454

User image

Pro
Nutmeg State
bwingate - 2010-12-22 9:55 PM I'd like to join up if there's still room.

I'll do the bio in a day or two.

Bruce.

We'd love to have you.

2010-12-23 6:03 AM
in reply to: #3258468

User image

Pro
Nutmeg State
Artist - 2010-12-22 10:05 PM My name is Terry and I would love to join your mentoring group
About me:
I am 55 years old and am starting my second season as a triathlete. I completed two sprint tris and two reverse mini's last year. strating last year I could not run a mile or swim 400 yds. Mostly I Mt biked. But I recently completed a 10 k. I have had 4 scopes on my rt knee and have to be careful, but I have found that mulit sport training has bee really good for it.
Family Status: I am married and we own a big black dog. I help in raising two grandkids. I am an artist and parttime sports writer for our local paper. I live in a small town in Utah and have limited training partners so I look to this site for help and support.
Current Training: using the maintance plan, but struggling a bit 

2010 Races: Lunatic reverse tri (2) Scofield Sprint distance (7800 feet altitude) Kokopelli Sprint St George UT

Planned 2011 Races: St George Tri (May) Scofield (July) and Koko (Sept)

Weightloss: I am currently 20 lbs more that I would like and need to adjust my eating. I am looking for a good book with a plan and recipes to help make the adjustment.

Goals: beat my PR from last season. Loss some weight. Stay Healthy and have fun

Welcome aboard!  I'm working with a nutritionist right now to get to race weight, if you PM me your e-mail address, I'll send you along the information my nutritionist sent me, it might be a good starting point for you (and its an interesting read).

St. George UT is a beautiful area, and lots of hills!
2010-12-23 6:06 AM
in reply to: #3258506

User image

Pro
Nutmeg State
abqtj - 2010-12-22 10:40 PM Here's my bio, in case I'm in :D

NAME: abqtj (Steve)

STORY:
  Played virtually everything growing up, but never a "runner". Always a decent swimmer, but never on a team or formal instruction after age 4-5. Biked some in HS/College, but again nothing formal. Did a couple of centuries then, but fell out of it about 20 years ago. Most of my adult life I've spent playing ice hockey (goalie) and enjoy it quite a bit. Friend talked me in to triathlons last year when I bought myself a road bike as my 40th bday gift. So I signed up for a sprint in July 2010 and had a blast. 

FAMILY STATUS: Living in sin with my girlfriend of 18+ years (Diane). No kids, just two crazy Labs (Jasper and Spencer).

CURRENT TRAINING: Nothing concrete at the moment. I try and run 2-3 times per week and get on the bike as my schedule allows. Have not swam since November. I've gone from running 1 mile this year as a long run to currently hitting 3-4 miles with little problem. Also my swimming has gone from gassed at 25-50yds to knocking out 2000-3000yds for a session and not being terribly beat up after. Very proud of the swimming improvement. Now I just need to be a little quicker at every discipline. 

GOALS: 
 Just keep improving and learning. Conquer race day anxiety. Want to do an Oly this year. Long term goal is to be able to complete a half marathon. 

2010 RACES: Santa Fe Tri (reverse sprint), Hotter 'n Hell 100 (50 miler), Jingle Bell Sprint (DNS, sick race morning).

2011 RACES:  Likely: Santa Fe Tri, Jay Benson Tri (sprint), maybe 1-2 other sprints. An Olympic distance will be my primary focus, just haven't chosen it yet (either Elephantman or Cochiti Tri). Also will be doing the Hotter 'n Hell 100 again, this time the full 100 miles. Big Dream is to complete the Triple Threat at the Hotter 'n Hell (13 mile MTB Race, 100 mile road, half marathon).

WEIGHTLOSS:  Since this pertains to me too...Started this in March of 2010 at about 233. Currently hover in the 212-215 range. Done solely with exercise and a little bit of paying attention to diet. Biggest change and achievement for me was dropping my Diet Coke habit. Went from 12-15 on a LIGHT day for the past 20+ years to zero cold turkey. Diet's always been iffy for me, being a restaurant GM.

Love forums and especially the support on this one. Willing to listen and learn and hopefully have something to offer along the way.

Welcome (again).  I worked in restaurants for 8 years and now how tough it is when there's constantly food around.

So how hot was the Hotter 'n Hell 50 this year?
2010-12-23 6:09 AM
in reply to: #3258520

User image

Pro
Nutmeg State
DDVMM - 2010-12-22 11:02 PM Heres my bio as well...

NAME: DDVMM

STORY:
I am a black belt in TKD and have been an on and off runner for years. I have been running consistently for over a year again. I was diagnosed with metastatic thyroid cancer on April 9, 2010 and have been through surgery and radiation in the last year, but I have been training throughout and think that is why I bounced back so quickly!

FAMILY STATUS: Married to a great, supportive husband, 4 kiddos (ages 2,7,9,11) with crazy schedules, work a little more than PT, girl scout troop leader, cub scout den leader.

CURRENT TRAINING:Running 3-4 times a week slowing working my mileage up. I bike occasionally as well but nothing regular. I don't have anywhere to swim in the winter.

GOALS:
To keep getting better! To keep learning!

2010 RACES: Couple 5K's

2011 RACES: Half marathon in April 2011 - 1 year from my diagnosis. July 23 is my first sprint tri and I am very excited.

WEIGHTLOSS:  I probably don't *need* to lose weight but I think I would feel better if I took 5-10 pounds off. I think I will add some 5-10K's in there as well.

I love online forums and from what I have read on this site, there seems to be a lot of support and knowledge. I am a pretty good cheerleader too!

Congratulations on the recovery!  July 23rd gives you plenty of time to train (and it should be an exciting finish line given the anniversary date).

I got to tell you, it almost made me cry reading your bio -- you're really inspirational.

2010-12-23 6:12 AM
in reply to: #3258532

User image

Pro
Nutmeg State
carrie639 - 2010-12-22 11:24 PM I would like to join if there's room

Name: Carrie 639 (first race number)

Story: I played ice hockey for many, many years, but I am the most injury prone person I know.  After severl ankle surgeries and a blown ACL, I hung the skates up.  I wandered around for a fews years trying to find something to keep me busy. I told a trainer I would love to do tris, but couldn't do the runs, she mentioned aquabikes and so 2 years ago my journey into triathlons started. 

My limiter is ABSOLUTELY running.  I am slow, have a higher then I would like HR when running, it spikes much easier running, and I seem to be injury prone in this area.  I need and can use all the advice I can get in this area.

Family Status: Single, 2 chocolate labs (Bella and Briggs, Mom and pup) and a cat named Tag.

Current Training: I currently swim quite a bit (20-25K yards per month) and am starting to get back into biking (underside is not liking this) and trying to get back into running. Did my first 1/2 mary end of November and have some IT band issues I am working through right now. 

2010 Races: Lots of 5k's and 10k's and 1 1/2 mary, 1 sprint tri, a couple of sprint relay tris w/ my sister (massive knee pain for most of summer from running) and 2 half aquabikes

Planned 2011 Races:  Still up in the air, will get it figured out next week to take advantage of some discounts, but for sure a 1/2 mary in April or May, Racine HIM in July and Chicago Marathon in Oct.  May be more, but those are the A's.  Goal is to improve on 1/2 mary time of 2:52 (was sick before race, sucky time, should be easy to PR), and finish Racine and Chicago (preferably under 7 hrs and 6 hrs respectively)

Weightloss: Lost about 30lbs in last 18 months and can stand to lose lots more!!!  Still an Athena . . .

What Will Make Me a Good Mentor: I ask tons of questions and am not shy!!! 

I feel you on the ankle surgeries (and running is my limiter too). 

With a little consistency smashing through the 2:52 on the half should be no problem at all.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kaburns1214 Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 87