Subject: Tri Curious - closed

Edited by mbasta 2013-04-05 8:46 PM

2010-12-23 6:42 AM
in reply to: #3256872

User image

Elite
Ontario, Canada
Subject: RE: Melissa Basta's Group - OPEN

For those people who want to join this team, please tell the group about yourself and possibly suggest a team name. I was looking online for ideas and since the group is new triathlete focused maybe "tri-curious"?

2010-12-30 8:23 AM

User image

Elite
Ontario, Canada

We haven't gone live yet, but here is a great link to help anyone preparing new year resolutions or setting goals in general.

http://www.active.com/cycling/Articles/Characteristics_of_Good__Challenging_Goals.htm?cmp=17-9079

2011-01-12 12:31 PM

User image

Champion
Taser-World
Yay! I've been waiting *forever* for this group to open. I would like to join.....

Name: D001, otherwise known as Dee.

Story: I have some health issues, but the main thing holding me back is that I keep getting injured. When I "run" (if you can call it that), I developed PF and knee problems. When I swim, I get rotator cuff issues, etc. The result is that my 2010 training totals were well below my 2009 totals. Instead of increasing my training, I *decreased* it. I'm hoping to reverse this situation in 2011. This means, I have to learn how to train without injuring myself.

I also tend to work too much, and exercise too little. I need to make 'training' a higher priority in my life, so that it gets done.

Why I'd like to join this group: I like your knowledge base of general strength and training. I also like your attitude towards exercising. And I know that you're enthusiastic and motivated.

Races: Hoping to start out with a couple of local 5k's (around March or April) and build from there.

Current training: Somewhat disjointed. It's been cold and snowy, so I've been mostly inside. I do have access to a stationary bike, treadmill and some weights, but no pool. (Most of my exercise lately has been snow shoveling!)

Weightloss: I don't usually think about 'weight,' but it's been creeping up. I like your approach of 'improving body composition.' I could certainly stand to improve my diet, too.

What will make me a good mentee: I spend a lot of time on BT. I recognize that I need to develop a more consistent "exercise schedule and training plan." I also plan on checking in regularly on this thread and also visiting group members' training logs to see how everyone is doing with their own goals.

2011-01-12 5:28 PM

New user

Connecticut
Hi Melissa,

I would like to join your group.  What interests me about your group is your background.

About me: Will be 50 in Nov 2011...my mantra is to be Fit at Fify and have a sprint triathlon that I want to do in Sept 18th 2011 with a friend.  I've been an on-again-of again exerciser.  Have been weight appropriate most of my life but since menopause my weight has inched up.  I'm 5'4" 140...so I'd say I have 20 lbs to lose. 

Married with a 6 yr old and a full time job.  Currently I exercise 2-3 x week.  Don't know what else to say.  Going to the training long to check it out.

2011-01-12 7:10 PM

User image

New user

Canby
I would love to join your group!  I love how you sound, and it seems that are interests are very similar.  I'm hoping to gain some knowledge about the race day as well as training along the way.  I'm brand new to triathlons.  In the last two years I have shed nearly 40lbs. thru exercise and diet and have been able to keep it off.  I lost most of my weight riding my bike, swam a little throughout that time and just last summer became a "runner" (I should say jogger)!  I've always thought it would be great to get into running, but didn't think I could ever do it.  One of my great friends worked out with me all last summer and at the end of our training we were able to run a 5k...a big feat for both of us!  I'm excited to see what my training season will bring, as well as my first sprint triathlon!

Family Status: Married and mom to two beautiful girls, 5 and 1. 

This Year's Races:  Sprint Tri (my first ever) on May 7, 2011.  Portland Bridge Pedal (25 mile ride over the bridges in Portland, OR) in August, and hopefully a half marathon in September.

I'm really looking forward to this group.  I have found an 11 week training program that I have been researching for a while and looking into and educating myself on.  I would love ANY advice you have.  Right now, I'm very curious about gear, especially what to wear for the swim??  And do I wear the same thing thru the entire race?!  

~Kari

ps.  LOVE the name!

2011-01-13 7:28 AM
in reply to: #3294993

User image

Elite
Ontario, Canada
D001 - 2011-01-12 1:31 PM Yay! I've been waiting *forever* for this group to open. I would like to join..... Name: D001, otherwise known as Dee. Story: I have some health issues, but the main thing holding me back is that I keep getting injured. When I "run" (if you can call it that), I developed PF and knee problems. When I swim, I get rotator cuff issues, etc. The result is that my 2010 training totals were well below my 2009 totals. Instead of increasing my training, I *decreased* it. I'm hoping to reverse this situation in 2011. This means, I have to learn how to train without injuring myself. I also tend to work too much, and exercise too little. I need to make 'training' a higher priority in my life, so that it gets done. Why I'd like to join this group: I like your knowledge base of general strength and training. I also like your attitude towards exercising. And I know that you're enthusiastic and motivated. Races: Hoping to start out with a couple of local 5k's (around March or April) and build from there. Current training: Somewhat disjointed. It's been cold and snowy, so I've been mostly inside. I do have access to a stationary bike, treadmill and some weights, but no pool. (Most of my exercise lately has been snow shoveling!) Weightloss: I don't usually think about 'weight,' but it's been creeping up. I like your approach of 'improving body composition.' I could certainly stand to improve my diet, too. What will make me a good mentee: I spend a lot of time on BT. I recognize that I need to develop a more consistent "exercise schedule and training plan." I also plan on checking in regularly on this thread and also visiting group members' training logs to see how everyone is doing with their own goals.

Welcome to the group! I'm glad that we finally got up and running. I was actually online yesterday doubting that this group would go live, them BAM here we are!

A warning to the other team members, Dee wields a taser.
2011-01-13 7:32 AM
in reply to: #3295774

User image

Elite
Ontario, Canada
Julily - 2011-01-12 6:28 PM Hi Melissa,

I would like to join your group.  What interests me about your group is your background.

About me: Will be 50 in Nov 2011...my mantra is to be Fit at Fify and have a sprint triathlon that I want to do in Sept 18th 2011 with a friend.  I've been an on-again-of again exerciser.  Have been weight appropriate most of my life but since menopause my weight has inched up.  I'm 5'4" 140...so I'd say I have 20 lbs to lose. 

Married with a 6 yr old and a full time job.  Currently I exercise 2-3 x week.  Don't know what else to say.  Going to the training long to check it out.

Welcome! Your reason for tri-ing is great! is this going to be your first triathlon?

Don't worry about being an on again off again exerciser. I was in this boat until i started taking part in triathlon and I find that it becomes part of your lifestyle and a component of ones sense of self. Ramp up the number of days you exercise and the time spent exercising slowly. Many people follow an "all or nothing plan", which in my experience is the reason for on again off again exercising.

Good luck!
2011-01-13 7:42 AM
in reply to: #3295917

User image

Elite
Ontario, Canada
Karijoyous - 2011-01-12 8:10 PM I would love to join your group!  I love how you sound, and it seems that are interests are very similar.  I'm hoping to gain some knowledge about the race day as well as training along the way.  I'm brand new to triathlons.  In the last two years I have shed nearly 40lbs. thru exercise and diet and have been able to keep it off.  I lost most of my weight riding my bike, swam a little throughout that time and just last summer became a "runner" (I should say jogger)!  I've always thought it would be great to get into running, but didn't think I could ever do it.  One of my great friends worked out with me all last summer and at the end of our training we were able to run a 5k...a big feat for both of us!  I'm excited to see what my training season will bring, as well as my first sprint triathlon!

Family Status: Married and mom to two beautiful girls, 5 and 1. 

This Year's Races:  Sprint Tri (my first ever) on May 7, 2011.  Portland Bridge Pedal (25 mile ride over the bridges in Portland, OR) in August, and hopefully a half marathon in September.

I'm really looking forward to this group.  I have found an 11 week training program that I have been researching for a while and looking into and educating myself on.  I would love ANY advice you have.  Right now, I'm very curious about gear, especially what to wear for the swim??  And do I wear the same thing thru the entire race?!  

~Kari

ps.  LOVE the name!

Welcome aboard Kari!

It sounds like you've built up a great base of being regularly active over the past 2 years. Good job on the first 5km! Triathlon is a lot of fun and as long as you keep that in mind when training and during events you'll do great.

Don't be too worried about all of the small details. Remind me once our group is full and I will put together (or find online) a race day checklist. I used one for my first tri and it put my mind at ease having the list in front of me and no fear of forgetting anything at home.

Gear: keep it simple for now. My first tri I wore a sports bra + swimsuit + tri shorts for the swim, threw on a dry fit t-shirt + socks + shoes and was off for the rest of the race. For training it's best to have a decent pair of shoes, but since you've been running I'm sure you already have that under control. Dry-fit clothing is preferable over cotton because it keeps you drier and doesn't chafe. You can get tri shorts, or you can wear non-cotton running shorts if you prefer. I recommend holding off on buying too much tri specific gear until after your first triathlon, once you get an idea of what it's all about and whether you want to continue. I'm sure you'll want to keep tri-ing!
2011-01-13 8:50 AM
in reply to: #3294993

User image

Elite
Ontario, Canada
D001 - 2011-01-12 1:31 PM Yay! I've been waiting *forever* for this group to open. I would like to join..... Name: D001, otherwise known as Dee. Story: I have some health issues, but the main thing holding me back is that I keep getting injured. When I "run" (if you can call it that), I developed PF and knee problems. When I swim, I get rotator cuff issues, etc. The result is that my 2010 training totals were well below my 2009 totals. Instead of increasing my training, I *decreased* it. I'm hoping to reverse this situation in 2011. This means, I have to learn how to train without injuring myself. I also tend to work too much, and exercise too little. I need to make 'training' a higher priority in my life, so that it gets done. Why I'd like to join this group: I like your knowledge base of general strength and training. I also like your attitude towards exercising. And I know that you're enthusiastic and motivated. Races: Hoping to start out with a couple of local 5k's (around March or April) and build from there. Current training: Somewhat disjointed. It's been cold and snowy, so I've been mostly inside. I do have access to a stationary bike, treadmill and some weights, but no pool. (Most of my exercise lately has been snow shoveling!) Weightloss: I don't usually think about 'weight,' but it's been creeping up. I like your approach of 'improving body composition.' I could certainly stand to improve my diet, too. What will make me a good mentee: I spend a lot of time on BT. I recognize that I need to develop a more consistent "exercise schedule and training plan." I also plan on checking in regularly on this thread and also visiting group members' training logs to see how everyone is doing with their own goals.

Dee, when you were previously injured did you get diagnosed with exactly what happened? While I can't give specific injury related advice without actually seeing you I might be able to point you in the right direction regarding how to prevent future problems when you start increasing your training again.

When do you plan on resuming tri-specific training? Where do you do swim training when the season is on?

Note for everyone - my training log isn't a very good example of successful training at the moment. the night before Christmas eve I came down with bronchitis and am having a hard time shaking it. I hope that my training will resume next week but only time will tell!
2011-01-13 8:54 AM

User image

Elite
Ontario, Canada

I think that it would be fun to have a weekly or biweekly topic that we all chat about and I can bring in some articles or resources to help. Let me know if you are interested in this. We can formulate the list of topics once our group is full. Some topics that I think will work so far based on peoples introductions:

-goal setting

-nutrition

-time management

-injury prevention

-race day preparation

-triathlon gear

2011-01-13 4:11 PM

User image

Seattle
Subject: RE: Tri Curious - OPEN

Can I still join this group?

My name is Lauren and I live in Seattle.  This will be my second year training.  Last year I did one sprint and one 5k.  This year I'm planning on doing a sprint on June 18th, the same 5k as last year (in July some time), and I've tentatively convinced some friends to relay a September 11th tri with me.

I have a history of injuring myself doing exercise with is why I picked this group - I'm interested in Melissa's kinesiology and personal trainer experience.

Thanks!

2011-01-13 5:21 PM
in reply to: #3298109

User image

Elite
Ontario, Canada
bumbbles21 - 2011-01-13 5:11 PM

Can I still join this group?

My name is Lauren and I live in Seattle.  This will be my second year training.  Last year I did one sprint and one 5k.  This year I'm planning on doing a sprint on June 18th, the same 5k as last year (in July some time), and I've tentatively convinced some friends to relay a September 11th tri with me.

I have a history of injuring myself doing exercise with is why I picked this group - I'm interested in Melissa's kinesiology and personal trainer experience.

Thanks!

Welcome to the group! Any questions you have feel free to post and I will try my best to help. What types of injuries have you had in the past?
2011-01-13 5:23 PM
in reply to: #3296526

User image

New user

Canby
Thanks for the advice on the gear... I've been shopping around online and there are so many choices.  Your information helps.  I've been thinking I should just find some shorts, but was unsure what to do for the rest....especially regarding wearing a swimsuit the whole time.  I have to pace myself in my purchases over the next couple months.  One could easily go overboard in equipment!  I'm excited to do this tri, and have a feeling it won't be my last.  I really like having a goal to work for, and accountability in achieving that goal. 

2011-01-13 5:46 PM
in reply to: #3296671

User image

Champion
Taser-World
mbasta - 2011-01-13 9:50 AM

Dee, when you were previously injured did you get diagnosed with exactly what happened? While I can't give specific injury related advice without actually seeing you I might be able to point you in the right direction regarding how to prevent future problems when you start increasing your training again.

When do you plan on resuming tri-specific training? Where do you do swim training when the season is on?

Note for everyone - my training log isn't a very good example of successful training at the moment. the night before Christmas eve I came down with bronchitis and am having a hard time shaking it. I hope that my training will resume next week but only time will tell!

Be careful what you ask for. Here goes.... LOL

Diagnosed stuff includes chondromalacia patella (since I was a teenager), plantar fasciitis (for the past 2 years, off and on), scoliosis (throws everything off kilter), asthma and rotator cuff issues. Other considerations include osteopenia and thyroid issues. (The thyroid problems mean that I get lightheaded, dizzy and fatigued. For example, exercise energizes most people. For me though, it makes me more tired.) There are a few other issues, but those are the main ones that I can think of right now.

Training -- I'm doing stationary bike, treadmill and strength training right now. I don't have access to a pool at the current time.

Running -- my big issue seems to be that I can't increase mileage or speed. I can get through a 5K, but things start to break down when I try to do more than that. The knee and PF flare up. Also, I can't seem to increase my stamina and I get winded easily. (For example, I always use the stairs at work. But I still get out of breath on them.)

Bike -- The stationary bike bothers my knee after awhile. I can't get it adjusted well. (Also the seat makes my backside go numb, but that's a different issue! LOL)

Hope your bronchitis clears up soon!

2011-01-13 5:59 PM
in reply to: #3298257

User image

Elite
Ontario, Canada
Karijoyous - 2011-01-13 6:23 PM Thanks for the advice on the gear... I've been shopping around online and there are so many choices.  Your information helps.  I've been thinking I should just find some shorts, but was unsure what to do for the rest....especially regarding wearing a swimsuit the whole time.  I have to pace myself in my purchases over the next couple months.  One could easily go overboard in equipment!  I'm excited to do this tri, and have a feeling it won't be my last.  I really like having a goal to work for, and accountability in achieving that goal. 

If you're worried about using your swimsuit for the whole event I suggest doing a training session where you try it out. The best way to choose race day gear is to use it ahead of time.

2011-01-13 6:00 PM
in reply to: #3298287

User image

Elite
Ontario, Canada
D001 - 2011-01-13 6:46 PM
mbasta - 2011-01-13 9:50 AM Dee, when you were previously injured did you get diagnosed with exactly what happened? While I can't give specific injury related advice without actually seeing you I might be able to point you in the right direction regarding how to prevent future problems when you start increasing your training again.

Be careful what you ask for. Here goes.... LOL Diagnosed stuff includes chondromalacia patella (since I was a teenager), plantar fasciitis (for the past 2 years, off and on), scoliosis (throws everything off kilter), asthma and rotator cuff issues. Other considerations include osteopenia and thyroid issues. (The thyroid problems mean that I get lightheaded, dizzy and fatigued. For example, exercise energizes most people. For me though, it makes me more tired.) There are a few other issues, but those are the main ones that I can think of right now. Training -- I'm doing stationary bike, treadmill and strength training right now. I don't have access to a pool at the current time. Running -- my big issue seems to be that I can't increase mileage or speed. I can get through a 5K, but things start to break down when I try to do more than that. The knee and PF flare up. Also, I can't seem to increase my stamina and I get winded easily. (For example, I always use the stairs at work. But I still get out of breath on them.) Bike -- The stationary bike bothers my knee after awhile. I can't get it adjusted well. (Also the seat makes my backside go numb, but that's a different issue! LOL) Hope your bronchitis clears up soon!

I'm at work and to properly respond to you will need a little more than 5 minutes. I'm not ignoring you! I will post tomorrow.
2011-01-13 6:25 PM
in reply to: #3298308

User image

Champion
Taser-World
I'll update this again once our group has all its members.... But in the meantime, if anyone wants, they can put this on their blog. The top link will bring you back to this discussion thread. The other links will take you to peoples' training logs.

Tri Curious Mentor Group

mbasta - Melissa

bumbbles21 - Lauren

D001 - Dee

Julily - Julie

Karijoyous - Kari

2011-01-13 6:27 PM
in reply to: #3298287

User image

Elite
Ontario, Canada
D001 - 2011-01-13 6:46 PM
mbasta - 2011-01-13 9:50 AM Dee, when you were previously injured did you get diagnosed with exactly what happened? While I can't give specific injury related advice without actually seeing you I might be able to point you in the right direction regarding how to prevent future problems when you start increasing your training again.

Be careful what you ask for. Here goes.... LOL Diagnosed stuff includes chondromalacia patella (since I was a teenager), plantar fasciitis (for the past 2 years, off and on), scoliosis (throws everything off kilter), asthma and rotator cuff issues. Other considerations include osteopenia and thyroid issues. (The thyroid problems mean that I get lightheaded, dizzy and fatigued. For example, exercise energizes most people. For me though, it makes me more tired.) There are a few other issues, but those are the main ones that I can think of right now. Training -- I'm doing stationary bike, treadmill and strength training right now. I don't have access to a pool at the current time. Running -- my big issue seems to be that I can't increase mileage or speed. I can get through a 5K, but things start to break down when I try to do more than that. The knee and PF flare up. Also, I can't seem to increase my stamina and I get winded easily. (For example, I always use the stairs at work. But I still get out of breath on them.) Bike -- The stationary bike bothers my knee after awhile. I can't get it adjusted well. (Also the seat makes my backside go numb, but that's a different issue! LOL) Hope your bronchitis clears up soon!

Do you have hypo or hyper thyroid? I am guessing from the tiredness that it's hypothyroid.

I'm developing a response between patients.
2011-01-13 6:30 PM
in reply to: #3298336

User image

Elite
Ontario, Canada
D001 - 2011-01-13 7:25 PM I'll update this again once our group has all its members.... But in the meantime, if anyone wants, they can put this on their blog. The top link will bring you back to this discussion thread. The other links will take you to peoples' training logs.
Tri Curious Mentor Group
mbasta - Melissa

bumbbles21 - Lauren
D001 - Dee
Julily - Julie
Karijoyous - Kari

Thank you for making this! Here is a link for the new members explaining how to customize the training log:

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=1609

It looks much more complicated than it is. You'll be satisfied in 15-40 minutes depending on how computer savvy you are. I just customized mine a week ago and it took me about 20 minutes to make sense of the directions and do mine.
2011-01-13 6:35 PM
in reply to: #3298308

User image

Champion
Taser-World
mbasta - 2011-01-13 7:00 PM

I'm at work and to properly respond to you will need a little more than 5 minutes. I'm not ignoring you! I will post tomorrow.

LOL! No problem. I'm used to "internet reply speed."

2011-01-13 6:40 PM
in reply to: #3298339

User image

Champion
Taser-World
mbasta - 2011-01-13 7:27 PM

Do you have hypo or hyper thyroid? I am guessing from the tiredness that it's hypothyroid.

I'm developing a response between patients.

Yup. Hypo. And the endocrinologist is having me decrease my meds, which isn't helping. (I need to find a new doctor who really understands thyroid issues. But that's another story.....)
2011-01-13 6:47 PM
in reply to: #3298343

User image

Champion
Taser-World
mbasta - 2011-01-13 7:30 PM

Thank you for making this! Here is a link for the new members explaining how to customize the training log:

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=1609

It looks much more complicated than it is. You'll be satisfied in 15-40 minutes depending on how computer savvy you are. I just customized mine a week ago and it took me about 20 minutes to make sense of the directions and do mine.

And if you just want to put the picture there, without doing all the customizing:

Highlight all the code below.
Hold down the CTRL key and hit the C key (while holding down CTRL).

At the top of the page, click the SETTING button. (The picture is a wrench, if you're wondering.)
Click Training Blog Customization.
Click Dashboard.

Put the cursor in the dashboard window.
Hold down the CTRL key and hit the V key (while holding down CTRL).
This should paste the image in place.
Scroll down.
Click Update Dashboard.

View your training blog.

(*Note: This method used to work. If it doesn't, just let me know.)

2011-01-14 12:38 AM

Veteran
Hi,
May I join your group?  I am a 49 year old mother of 3 teenagers.  I have entered a sprint triathlon in July in MN with my 4 sisters and 1 (of 2) brothers. I am a self employed bookkeeper so my schedule is pretty flexible.  I haven't trained in forever! Looking forward to joining the group as I will need lots of advice.
Thanks!
Ellen
2011-01-14 1:59 AM

User image

New user

NAME: Rachel Roberts

STORY: I have swam my whole life but was never a runner. I always thought I was decently physically fit but I have encountered quite a few intense wake up calls. I graduated college two years ago this May. Do to some circumstances, I started putting on weight and now I just cant stop! I look back at my college days when I thought I was fat and would kill for that body now.  I have never been a skinny mini- but I would love to be at a healthy weight. I have gained thirty pounds in the last two years and I want it gone! I mentally tell myself everyday that today is the day... but nothing sticks.

I have always wanted to do a triathlon. The swimming part will be a piece of cake, as I have been swimming quite a bit lately. The biking and especially the running will be huge challenges.  This past year I moved to Alaska and there arent exactly a ton of tris up here. The one I will be competeing in is in August and I know it will take me that long to build up my motivation and train.  My cousin is getting married in June and that is the first time I will see my family in quite some time.  The last time they saw me I was at my heaviest and would like to be slimmed down by then.  I think that is a good goal to have. Thirty pounds in 5 months. It feels like such an uphill battle.

All in all, this triathlon will be a huge accomplishment and something I have wanted to do for a long time.  I am doing a sprint triathlon but will need lots of motivation and support!!!

CURRENT TRAINING: Not a whole lot. I have been swimming occasionally.  I found a plan on here that looks like something written for me, although it has me starting with 20 min runs and 40 min bikes.  Believe it or not, that will be very challenging.

WHAT WILL MAKE YOU A GOOD MENTOR: You were one of the first names I clicked on and I was hooked.  I read some of the other profiles but a lot of people out there seem really hardcore.  You are a real woman who is running races and changing your lifestyle.  This is exactly what I am looking for.  I am hoping that you can teach me all of your secrets, especially how you jumpstarted this all, because that is where I am having the most trouble!!

Thanks so much and I look forward to working with you!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Tri Curious - closed Rss Feed  

of 26