BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Nevergivin's Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 10

2010-12-22 3:27 PM

User image

Modesto, California
Subject: Nevergivin's Mentor Group - CLOSED

WHEN CAN YOU START MENTORING CONSISTENTLY: Because I check BT regularly now is the time to start.

NAME: nevergivin/ Stuart

STORY: I started triathlon at the end of 2007 to do something different, a journey that has taken me far from where I started. I found BT at the same time and has helped me every step of the way. I have yet to do a full Ironman but its on my radar, its just there are so many other goals I need to reach first.
This will be my second time having a Mentor group, it is a privelidge for me to do it. I enjoy sharing what I have learned from BT and through my own triumphs and mistakes, I also enjoy the interaction and the accomplishments that go along with the group.
I have been on several Tri clubs, was a 2009 All American Masters swimmer and placed at Nationals, recently I have joined a cycling team and have been improving each day.
I also live in California which has given me an opportunity to race and train for an extended season, along with competing in some of the best races in the nation.

FAMILY STATUS:
 Married with a seven year old daughter who loves training with me.

CURRENT TRAINING: Base Cycling Training/Strength Training/Martial Arts Training.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: I spent the entire year focusing on Cycling Criteriums and Road Races.

2011 RACES:  All my planned races are on my training page.

WEIGHTLOSS:
I am currently trying to loose 25 pounds by April, so far its going good!

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOR:
I would like to share my knowledge from BT as well as my experiences from my training and races. I have been on numerous teams involved in Triathlon including my current Bike team which has its own Triathlon team. I also enjoy the interaction that the Mentor groups are known for, I like to keep it active, fun, and a learning enviroment for new and experienced members.

2010-12-31 9:03 AM
in reply to: #3258079

User image

Veteran
Las Vegas, NV
Subject: RE: Nevergivin's Mentor Group
Hey Stuart. I would like to join the mentor group if possible. My information is as follows:

NAME: Molly

STORY: I started triathlon in 2007 and have completed several spints, 6 half ironman events and ironman AZ, and ironman St. George. I have gone back to only sprints this year with my goals set on the Sprint Nationals in August 2011 in Vermont with the hope of making the ITU worlds for 2012. I wanted to join this group because my cycle times are terrible and since you have a cycling background I thought it would be a good fit. 

FAMILY STATUS:
 Married with 2 children and I own my own full time law practice.

CURRENT TRAINING: p90x and maintenance training.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: Ironman CA 70.3, Ironman St. George, Carlsbad Sprint Tri, Encinitas Sprint Tri, Lake Las Vegas Tri, Silverman Half Iron Distance

2011 RACES:  Rage in the Sage Sprint, Spring Sprint San Diego, Encinitas Sprint, San Diego International Tri, Solana Beach Sprint Tri, Lake Las Vegas, Ironman 5150 Lake Las Vegas, USAT Nationals

2010-12-31 10:15 AM

Stuart, would like like to join your mentor group.

My name is John. I completed my first sprint this year. I have been a long time runner. Completed several marathons and halfs. Just started tri this year and really liked it. My goals for 2011 are a 20 pound weight loss and to complete a HIM! My goal race is Augusta in ?Sept. I am married with a newborn daughter (2 weeks old on Jan 1!) Very busy schedule so could use all the help I can get. Thanks, John
2010-12-31 11:23 AM

User image

New user

Corpus Christi
I would like to join your mentor group.  I am a 50 year old male who has been very athletically active my whole life. Played sports since I was young and have not given up the push to do more.  I have been cycling for about 4 years but never really involved in competitive cycling..crits etc.  I do the occassional bike races just to say I finished a 65 miler or 100 miler.  My goal in 2011 is to ride in my first crit and to train and compete in my first Tri race. I don't have a real training plan as I feel I am so so on the bike, need lots of work on swimming (I can swim just not sure how long I can go) an running has never been an issue.  My older brother was a world class distance runner so I use to run alot with him.  My running is hindered by my knees.  I have had both knees scoped and dr's tell me it is bone on bone.  But I have had some good days running.  Now I weigh about 210 lbs.  Back when I was younger I was about 160 lbs but I found a love for weight training and got very bulky.  I need to lose about 15 lbs to help me navigate all the different disciplines of a tri.  I am very dedicated and organized and would like ALL the help I can get to achieve my goals this year.  Since the New Year kicks off tomorrow that is when I start my training. I liked that you have a cycling background and hope that your experience and knowledge will rub off on me as I venture out on this journey.  I look forward to joining your group and being a great mentee!

Sincerely,
Barry
2010-12-31 3:13 PM

User image

Expert
Salem
Hey Stuart,

I'd like to participate in your Mentor Group.  Here is my story ...

NAME: triguybri/Brian

STORY:
I am a 47 year old Male.  I started Triathlon's two years ago after losing 60 lbs. on Weight Watchers without exercising and my leader challenged me to begin being more active to maintain my weight easier.  So I started doing triathlons.  This will be my third season.  My longest has been an Olympic.  Was considering doing a HAlf this year, but I think training time may be a limiter for me.  I am running more this winter and have done a Half-Mary and another one coming up on Jan. 16th (looking for a sub two hour).  My last one was a very hilly Half and I ran a 2:01:53 so that is very doable on a flat course.  These Half's were in prep for a Half Ironman distance this coming year.  I may just stick to Sprints this season and maybe on Olympic.  I serve as the Web Coordinator for our Local Triathlon Club here in Salem, Oregon.  I was looking for a Mentor Group on the West Coast.  Last year the group I was in was on the east coast so time wise it was always difficult but truly enjoyed the experience. 

FAMILY STATUS:
 Married 23 years with a 9 year old son.

CURRENT TRAINING: Running/Training for Half Marathon.  Using Ryan Hall's Half Marathon Training Schedule on Runner's World with Speed Workouts provided by a local Triathlete for our Tri Club.  Saturdays - 90 min. Indoor Cycling Class.  Will begin in Feb. on my training plan.  Start up swimming some in Jan. just to get back in the pool.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: Local Pool Venue Sprint Tri (Early in the season); One and first Olympic Distance (Blue Lake in Portland, OR area); Hagg Lake and Scoggins Valley Sprint (Same Course).  Half Marathon in October '10.

2011 RACES:  One Half Marathon in Jan. Unsure of all my races  (4-5 Sprints; maybe one Olympic and possibly one Half Iron Distance; Ocean Shores in Washington State).

WEIGHTLOSS:
  Would like to be at a race weight of 185.  Need to lose 20 lbs.

Look forward to the conversations and motivations.
2011-01-01 10:53 AM

User image

New user
Louisville, KY
Hey Stuart. I would like to join the mentor group if possible. My information is as follows:

NAME: Jim

STORY: When I was 35, I saw the NBC coverage of IM Hawaii and told myself, "I'm going to do that by the time I'm 40." Well, I'm 43 now, did my first 70.3 in Augusta last September, so I'm behind schedule, but enjoying the ride so far.

FAMILY STATUS:
Married, with 2 boys, 6 and 2 y/o.
CURRENT TRAINING: Following the Iron Fit intermediate program for IMCDA in June.
THIS YEAR'S RACES: Augusta 70.3, local Olympic x1, KDF Mini-Marathon, Tecumseh Trail Marathon. Did several training rides on IMKY route with group last summer.

2011 RACES: IMCDA, at least x2 70.3, and I'd like Augusta to be one of them.

WEIGHTLOSS: 184 now and looking to get to 165 by June. Was down to 155 in 2007 for my first marathon (Big Sur, great event btw), so I know what I need to do, just need to do it.

2011-01-02 10:53 PM

User image

Davis Square, Somerville, MA
Subject: RE: Nevergivin's Mentor Group - OPEN
Hi Stuart- I would like to join your mentoring group if possible

NAME: williemc432/ Will

STORY: I have been cycling for about five years and have wanted to try triathlons for the last few years, but something always seemed to get in the way. Last winter after my daughter was born,  I found that I had let my self go a bit.  I had taken about six-months off from exercise and was starting to get a little round around the middle.  So I decided to give multisport a shot.  When I started, I couldn't run around the block, and couldn't swim, but gradually my running started to improve and a summer of swim lessons helped my confidence in the pool.  Now my biggest problem is motivation, and I find that being in a group helps.

FAMILY STATUS:
 Married to a runner and I we have a 14-month old daughter.

CURRENT TRAINING: Winter BT plan- 4 runs per week; 2-3 bikes; 2-3 swims

2010 RACES: 3 duathlons; 5K; 10K; Sprint Tri (with a pool swim)
2011 RACES:  I am currently signed up for 2 August tri's (one Oly, one Sprint), but will add more  

WEIGHTLOSS:
 My weight is fairly decent, but I have a few holiday pounds to lose 
2011-01-03 8:34 AM

User image

Chattanooga
Hey Stuart, I would like to join your mentor group if you have some opening still. My info is as follows:

Name: Wesley

Story: This is my first year/season every doing triathlons. My first race is scheduled for May 1 (Sprint) in Hixson, TN. My mom and sister started racing and training for triathlons last year and I got hooked the first time I went to watch them. I did my first 5k on Thanksgiving and my first 10k a few weeks later.

Family Status: Married with two boys (4 & 3). Currently living in Atlanta, GA but will be moving to Chattanooga, TN in March.

2011 Races: I have a list of races that I would like to compete in for the year, but we will see how the year progresses with family vacations and other things. I plan on competing in some Sprints & Olympic Triathlons this year and maybe the intermediate distance in the Great Floridian Triathlon in Oct.

Weight loss: I am currently trying to lose about 30 pounds
2011-01-03 9:13 AM

Regular
Augusta, GA

Hi Stuart (and new mentees), could I also join your group? My name's Beth 

STORY: My tri history is short. I did 3 sprint tris back in the 1990s, then 2 sprints in 2009, but last year I did a full season of 6: 3 sprints, 2 Olys, and the Augusta Half Ironman. I wouldn't have moved up to HIM so quickly except that I'm from Augusta and it killed me to sit and watch the first year (2009)! I'm 47 years old. During my teens I was a competitive swimmer and ran cross country and track on the side for fun. Last year's season made it clear that I am a HORRIBLE cyclist, or to put it more diplomatically I have a big opportunity to improve in cycling this year ;-). Consistently last year I finish front of the pack in swimming, nearly dead last in cycling, and in the middle in running. I do better at sprints than other types of races. What I love about tri is the cross training and the excitement of what will happen when transitioning from 1 sport to the next. There are always new adventures to be had in tri and that keeps me motivated.

FAMILY STATUS:
 Married with 2 girls, ages 8 and 6. My husband doesn't swim or run but actually did complete a sprint tri last year, proving that where there's a will there's a way. He plans to do a sprint this year w/snorkel since he read it's within the rules.

CURRENT TRAINING: Not much since October, but I'm motivated to get back to it again. In general, I do 4-6 hours per week: 1 hour of strength training per week w/a trainer, 1 & 1/2 hours of "gentle stretch" yoga, plus 2 days of running, 1 day of cycling and 1 day of swimming.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: 3 sprint tris, 2 Olys, 1 HIM and a half marathon: Dundedin Rotary sprint, Jekyll Island Turtle Sprint, Mistletoe Sprint, Festival of Flowers and Richard B. Russell Olympics, Augusta HIM, the Augusta Half Marathon.

2011 RACES:  I'm definitely doing the Augusta HIM, plus some sprints and olys. Not completely planned out yet.

WEIGHTLOSS:
I'm average height and weight. But after 2 babies and the energy zap/time crunch that goes along w/being a parent, I got flabby. Last year I lost a total of 22 inches (off abs, hips, thighs, arms) working w/a trainer on strength training--no real diet changes. I actually gained weight during the tri season despite losing inches but thanks to the off season I'm down about 14 pounds. I was drinking protein shakes and really hungry from the HIM training load. If I lost a few more pounds I'm sure I could run faster!

GOALS: Last year I made some improvement in cycling but I'd like to make much more. I just feel pretty uncomfortable on the bike although I have been fitted several times by my bike shop. I made no improvement in swimming times last year because I only swam 1-2x per month, mostly in races. My run times have steadily improved, but I'm worried about injury so I don't want to run super long. I do want to speed up, so I thought maybe doing swim intervals could improve my VO2max and improve my run times...what do ya'll think? Despite running faster I'm much slower than I used to be! I enjoy the motivation of mentoring groups (did one last summer) and looking forward to getting to know you all!

2011-01-03 9:15 AM
in reply to: #3270958

Regular
Augusta, GA
Jim, how did you like Augusta last year?
2011-01-03 12:06 PM

User image

Modesto, California
Welcome everyone, Happy New Year! Wow what an awesome group! I will post a little more when I have more time this evening, Im excited with the group we have!
Please feel free to chat it up and share any goals for the New Year, Im planning out mine as we speek. Also If you have not already done so try to get familiar with logging your workouts, its not a must but its a great feature here and it will help a ton with planning, accountability and also troubleshooting, any questions please let me know.

Ill be closing the Mentor to any other members as I dont prefer it get too large, a handful is what I can schedule time for.

Welcome Molly, John, Barry,Brian, Jim, Will, Wesley, Beth!

2011-01-03 4:25 PM
in reply to: #3273808

User image

New user
Louisville, KY
I really enjoyed the Augusta 70.3. Even with the rain during the bike, it was a lot of fun. Now when the sun came out after the rain, it got a little steamy for me. I think this is a great course for anyone doing their first HIM. Downstream swim, interesting bike, well supported flat run course. I'd like to go back for 2011, but may try another venue just for variety.
2011-01-03 5:07 PM

User image

Modesto, California
Subject: RE: Nevergivin's Mentor Group - CLOSED
So that I can better help and we can all discuss topics better as a group I had some questions I wanted to fire away.

Molly-What type of bike are you riding now(Tri or Road) or do you have both?
The most valuable lesson I learned with my cycling team is that if you want to get faster you have to push yourself on the bike, its not like running or swimming where you can only as fast as your strength allows, its more about how much discomfort you can condition yourself for.I have to own some of the pain that comes from cycling hard and overcome it. I like to go with fast people on my team, not so I can kep up or not get dropped, so I can push beyond my normal comfort zone, thats how you get faster, you have to develop that. I dont train hard all the time, I have a balance, Im a firm believer of training hard on hard days and easy on easy days. I have learned a tremendous amount of information on how to get faster on the bike, trust me that I will be happy to share. You have allot of experience, nice work!

John-Have you considered a training plan yet?I was working 70+ hours a week and also have a family with my daughter in grade school and managed to do 2 HIM a few months apart, you can do it! Dont try for perfection, consistency and commitment will help you.

Barry-Have you ever ridden with others that have done crits? Do you have access to ride with a cycling team?Much of crit racing is technique, closing gaps,sprinting,cornering,conserving energy,not using brakes,etc. Building your skills is something that will pay off when you race, I will be happy to share my knowledge and guidance.

Brian-Are you a masters swimmer? I hope I can share some knowledge and motivation. I love the Half Ironman Distance, for me it is a good fit and challenge.

Jim-How do you like Ironfit? There are many awesome areas for me to ride and run in Northern California, for some reason my bike team always ends up close to the hills by Yosemite Ntl Park.

Will-How is your swim going?I grew up swimming on swim teams year round up until I was 20. I have always struggled at freestyle, I can swim 50 breastroke under 33 seconds and my current record for 100 is 1:13. I continue to improve my stroke and find the more knowledge I gain on technique the better I become.

Wesley-Do you have any questions about equipment or gear?Way to go catching the Tri bug!

Beth-How much core work do you do?Its hard for me to say how Vo2 Intervals will help, for me in swimming regardless of what type of workouts I was doing it all came down to how often I swam.

Beacuse of my background I hope I can bring up some interesting topics and techniques for us all to discuss and posibbly improve. I dont claim to know it all and hope I can learn as much as the next person. Know that in the next few months I will only be sharing what has worked for me and will be open to all ideas from everyone and hope everyone can offer some input to make the group fun!
2011-01-04 6:03 AM

User image

New user
Louisville, KY
Iron Fit seems like a good program to me. Scheduling workouts by time instead of distance makes sense, and the schedule is reasonable.

Two questions, and I'd like anyone who wants to chime in to do so.

Like most people coming from a non-swimming background, I really struggle in the pool. Some-days I do feel like, "WOW I'm really getting the hang of this", then the next session is awful. I'm back this morning from a borderline awful. Any ideas?

I'm really considering buying a new bike. I have an entry level Felt that is fitted to me and I think rides pretty well, though my avg mph is somewhat disappointing to me. Like to bump it up by 4-5 mph. For the 112 mile ride at IMCDA I want every advantage I can reasonably have on the course, and then coming off to the run. Anybody spend $2500 or so to upgrade their bike and feel like it was worth the investment?
2011-01-04 11:02 AM
in reply to: #3275908

User image

Modesto, California
jamesarr - 2011-01-04 4:03 AM Iron Fit seems like a good program to me. Scheduling workouts by time instead of distance makes sense, and the schedule is reasonable.

Two questions, and I'd like anyone who wants to chime in to do so.

Like most people coming from a non-swimming background, I really struggle in the pool. Some-days I do feel like, "WOW I'm really getting the hang of this", then the next session is awful. I'm back this morning from a borderline awful. Any ideas?

I'm really considering buying a new bike. I have an entry level Felt that is fitted to me and I think rides pretty well, though my avg mph is somewhat disappointing to me. Like to bump it up by 4-5 mph. For the 112 mile ride at IMCDA I want every advantage I can reasonably have on the course, and then coming off to the run. Anybody spend $2500 or so to upgrade their bike and feel like it was worth the investment?

Swimming-for me if I swam less than 3 days a week then every workout was a struggle, when I swam more I felt strong. I found that it was difficult because I could not maintain good form when I would get fatigued. Other things that helped my speed and endurance are stretching and core work. 

New Bike-getting a new bike is a mental judgement that has more to do with satisfaction and quality, I get beat down by older bikes often, and its shameful. I have a Tarmac Pro with Dura Ace and I take allot of pride in it keeping it well maintained and clean knowing it will last me a long time. What has made me faster is committing to working harder, much harder than I thought I could. 
2011-01-04 1:11 PM
in reply to: #3275140

User image

Davis Square, Somerville, MA
Will-How is your swim going?I grew up swimming on swim teams year round up until I was 20. I have always struggled at freestyle, I can swim 50 breastroke under 33 seconds and my current record for 100 is 1:13. I continue to improve my stroke and find the more knowledge I gain on technique the better I become.

My swimming constantly needs work.  I have taken a few weeks off of the pool, which I know that I am going to regret when I go back tomorrow, but its too late now.  I found that through a month or so of swim lessons this summer, I was able to go from struggling to do a 100 yards to a over a 1,000.  Now it is a question of trying to get my form better, which well hopefully trickle down to an improvement in speed as well.  There is a Total Immersion- Endurance clinic at the Multisport Expo March I am thinking of checking out.  Any thoughts on the one-day clinics vs. a longer lessons based approach? 

One thing I did focus on during swim lessons was to learn the basics of the backstroke, and the butterfly, as well as treading water, instead of relying solely on freestyle.  This way I feel a little more comfortable if I get tired in the water, instead of panicking as I did before.

2011-01-04 2:48 PM
in reply to: #3275140

User image

Expert
Salem
nevergivin - 2011-01-03 3:07 PM So that I can better help and we can all discuss topics better as a group I had some questions I wanted to fire away.

Brian-Are you a masters swimmer? I hope I can share some knowledge and motivation. I love the Half Ironman Distance, for me it is a good fit and challenge.

I am not a master's swimmer, but I don't consider the swim a limiter for me.  I think it is actually one of my better legs; relatively speaking.  My first OLY last year I swam an 100 ave. of 1:26 which put me in top three of my age group and about top third of men overall.

My issue with the swim is that I get to a certain amt. of training distance and my left shoulder begins to hurt; area where one would get a shot; becomes tender and definitely feel it during my stroke later in a workout.  Have been trying to figure out if it is a stroke thing or if I need to strengthen and do some exercises in this area.  I much prefer to open water swim and my technique is so much better due to the bouyancy from the wetsuit. 

I would definetly benefit from some bike knowledge in how to get better in this area.  My Oly ave. was high 18 .90's MPH average.  Pretty flat course but real wet. I ride a Giant Defy Raod Bike with areo bars.  Looking to get a fast forward seat post and new areo bars (more adjustable version). 

I have been working hard on my run all last winter and this winter as well.  As I mentioned before I am up to running 1/2 marathons and will do my second one on Jan. 16th.  Again looking to go sub 2 hours.  Speed workouts every Tuesday with a Local Tri Club Member. 

My winter training on the bike is  taking a Indoor Cycling Class from a person who does Triathlons.  He teaches a 90 min. Sat. Class. for 14 months.

http://www.wvtriathletes.org/

Check out our club website if you'd like.  I built it last year with a student from one of the local High School's.  The student did a nice job.

Edited by TriGuyBri 2011-01-04 2:48 PM
2011-01-04 4:37 PM
in reply to: #3277127

Regular
Augusta, GA
Subject: swimming fitness vs. running fitness

Stuart, to answer your question, I do core strengthening a couple days a week even though it's not my fav ;-). I think core has helped a lot: running hurts less when I focus on my abs, plus swimming doesn't make my back as sore. I guess I"m wondering what the crossover effect is for conditioning from one sport to the next. Maybe there's no way to tell. Still If I do a lot of breath work in swimming, I can't help but think it might make me feel less out of breath in running (improve Vo2max)...? In high school I swam 5 days a week so I didn't have time to attend track practice. I just ran during meets and did well. Now I'm lots older and joints hurt more. Long distance running beats me up.

How can I improve running w/o running too much? Is swimming a good way to do that? What do ya'll think?

2011-01-04 7:16 PM
in reply to: #3275055

Regular
Augusta, GA
Glad you liked our fair city.  Having so much crowd support on the run course was awesome. I couldn't get over random strangers calling out my name (printed on bibs) and encouraging me. It made the run go by so fast!

jamesarr - 2011-01-03 4:25 PM I really enjoyed the Augusta 70.3. Even with the rain during the bike, it was a lot of fun. Now when the sun came out after the rain, it got a little steamy for me. I think this is a great course for anyone doing their first HIM. Downstream swim, interesting bike, well supported flat run course. I'd like to go back for 2011, but may try another venue just for variety.
2011-01-04 8:34 PM
in reply to: #3277438

Regular
Augusta, GA
Subject: paradox of swimming

Hi Brian, Have you seen Gary Hall Sr's article "The paradox of swimming"?
http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=2145
 He talks about how a weakish 12 yr old could swim circles around an ultra fit triathlete of 29 and why. But it's something I've never heard before about technique: during the start of the catch w/right hand, he says to rotate your left shoulder/hips away (he calls it a counter-rotation).

I got in the water today and focused on increasing the counter rotation of my shoulder/hips at the start of the catch and IT WORKS. Seriously, try this. My usual # of strokes per 25 yds is 17-18 (16 w/a serious glide) but today I was consistently hitting 15 (14 w/gliding). That's a huge difference for me as I am 5'5" tall. Hammering without getting tired.
It took me a bit to understand the move. It's counter to the way a novice might swim (novice will have left shoulder low/under body when catching w/right hand). The way I sensed I was doing it right was that I was starting to get tired in my shoulder blades (my back) instead of shoulders or arms. Brian it's a thought that this might reduce your shoulder fatigue and maybe improve your swimming efficiency.

Brian wrote "My issue with the swim is that I get to a certain amt. of training distance and my left shoulder begins to hurt; area where one would get a shot; becomes tender and definitely feel it during my stroke later in a workout.  Have been trying to figure out if it is a stroke thing or if I need to strengthen and do some exercises in this area." 

Edited by bdroppleman 2011-01-04 8:36 PM
2011-01-05 8:10 AM
in reply to: #3278211

User image

Expert
Salem
Subject: RE: paradox of swimming
bdroppleman - 2011-01-04 6:34 PM

He talks about how a weakish 12 yr old could swim circles around an ultra fit triathlete of 29 and why. But it's something I've never heard before about technique: during the start of the catch w/right hand, he says to rotate your left shoulder/hips away (he calls it a counter-rotation).

I got in the water today and focused on increasing the counter rotation of my shoulder/hips at the start of the catch and IT WORKS. Seriously, try this. My usual # of strokes per 25 yds is 17-18 (16 w/a serious glide) but today I was consistently hitting 15 (14 w/gliding). That's a huge difference for me as I am 5'5" tall. Hammering without getting tired.
It took me a bit to understand the move. It's counter to the way a novice might swim (novice will have left shoulder low/under body when catching w/right hand). The way I sensed I was doing it right was that I was starting to get tired in my shoulder blades (my back) instead of shoulders or arms. Brian it's a thought that this might reduce your shoulder fatigue and maybe improve your swimming efficiency.

Brian wrote "My issue with the swim is that I get to a certain amt. of training distance and my left shoulder begins to hurt; area where one would get a shot; becomes tender and definitely feel it during my stroke later in a workout.  Have been trying to figure out if it is a stroke thing or if I need to strengthen and do some exercises in this area." 

I did read it and it is quite interesting article.  I am not too sure how I do it now, but will keep this in mind as I rejoin the pool.

THX

2011-01-05 10:57 AM
in reply to: #3277770

User image

Modesto, California
Subject: RE: swimming fitness vs. running fitness
bdroppleman - 2011-01-04 2:37 PM

Stuart, to answer your question, I do core strengthening a couple days a week even though it's not my fav ;-). I think core has helped a lot: running hurts less when I focus on my abs, plus swimming doesn't make my back as sore. I guess I"m wondering what the crossover effect is for conditioning from one sport to the next. Maybe there's no way to tell. Still If I do a lot of breath work in swimming, I can't help but think it might make me feel less out of breath in running (improve Vo2max)...? In high school I swam 5 days a week so I didn't have time to attend track practice. I just ran during meets and did well. Now I'm lots older and joints hurt more. Long distance running beats me up.

How can I improve running w/o running too much? Is swimming a good way to do that? What do ya'll think?

Beth, Im sure I dont have the answer your looking for, but here are my thoughts anyway. Increasing your Vo2 max will help with anaerobic capacity, however its just too difficult to say doing it while swimming will help with running, it may or may not. I suffer from injuries from running myself, ways I increase fitness without milage is hills,sand running,soft surfaces,stairs,etc. I do dynamic stretching before running and static after. I also know what my limits are and Half Ironmans are my distance limit otherwise I am subject to injuries despite how careful I am.

The reason I asked about core is that it has allowed me to generate considerably more power when I cycle, I am specifically refering to my lower back and not my abs. Picture yourself sitting with you back against a wall and pushing something out with your legs, its not the same it that wall was not there. The same applies on the bike, you have a posture to maintain so that you can brace yourself when forcing the pedals down, when your lower back fatigues you will lose that. 
2011-01-05 11:17 AM
in reply to: #3278211

User image

Modesto, California
Subject: RE: paradox of swimming
bdroppleman - 2011-01-04 6:34 PM

Wow,definately not beginer level stuff! Great article Beth! This is how I was taught to swim by my masters coach, and she makes us drill this by us swimming head up with eyes forward emphasizing rotation.

Brian, I get video taped twice a year on my masters team, the coaches go over my mistakes and we try to correct them together. The one thing that has stuck with me is that even knowing my mistakes, they are difficult to correct. My right arm crosses over my centerline after entering the water, my left arm crosses over centerline during the pull, both mistakes make my shoulders sore unless I focus on that while swimming. Its difficult to say what is going on during your swim without seeing your stroke,all of these might be something to consider including above.
2011-01-05 11:37 AM
in reply to: #3277127

User image

Modesto, California
williemc432 - 2011-01-04 11:11 AM Will-How is your swim going?I grew up swimming on swim teams year round up until I was 20. I have always struggled at freestyle, I can swim 50 breastroke under 33 seconds and my current record for 100 is 1:13. I continue to improve my stroke and find the more knowledge I gain on technique the better I become.

My swimming constantly needs work.  I have taken a few weeks off of the pool, which I know that I am going to regret when I go back tomorrow, but its too late now.  I found that through a month or so of swim lessons this summer, I was able to go from struggling to do a 100 yards to a over a 1,000.  Now it is a question of trying to get my form better, which well hopefully trickle down to an improvement in speed as well.  There is a Total Immersion- Endurance clinic at the Multisport Expo March I am thinking of checking out.  Any thoughts on the one-day clinics vs. a longer lessons based approach? 

One thing I did focus on during swim lessons was to learn the basics of the backstroke, and the butterfly, as well as treading water, instead of relying solely on freestyle.  This way I feel a little more comfortable if I get tired in the water, instead of panicking as I did before.

Will, I did a clinic two years ago but it was stroke specific and an advanced clinic. It was a very small group,50 dollars, and taught by two swimmers that hold masters world records.
Maybe define what you would like to get out of it and get a feel for what they are offering and go from there. Im not a big fan of TI but allot of folks are, they will drill basic swim technique and you will get some feedback but it will be based on how you swim that day.
I prefer lessons, your getting direct feedback and it is over a given period. The weird thing about swimming for me is that when fix one thing it always seems to uncover another flaw. Swimming other strokes gives variety while working on common basic technique,catch, streamline,kick,rotation. Its all good!
2011-01-06 10:27 AM

User image

Modesto, California
Good Morning everyone, I hope everyones training during the New Year is going well!

Here is my typical meal plan with some supplements I take, Im only taking supplements to help aid recovery. I have been loosing close to 2 pounds a week of bodyfat. I have lost 12 pounds since November 15 and have since doubled all of the strength training weights I use. My plan is once I get to my target weight and close to race season start I will increase my calorie count and Carb ratio.

TODAY'S FOOD PLAN
M1. Oatmeal,Whey protien in Skim Milk

S1. 1 Multivitamin,1 Fish oil,1 Flax oil
M2. Whey Protien in Water,6 almonds
M3. Turkey Sandwich,Tea
M4. Whey Protien in Water,6 almonds
S2. (Pre workout) 1 Serving of Quake 10.0 preworkout
S3. (During workout)1 serving of Extend during workout
S4. (Post workout)Whey Protien with Glycomaize
S5. 1 Multivitamin,1 Fish oil,1 Flax oil

M5. Grilled Chicken, Salad,Water

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Nevergivin's Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 10