BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SMeador's Group - FULL! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 12

2010-12-27 2:54 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fort Worth, TX
Subject: SMeador's Group - FULL!
Whether you are a newcomer to or veteran of endurance sports you are welcome to join our team.

Team Members: dodgersmom, bikermanmo, silver_wlf, majustic, diamond, tc117, kerilynn, ,quevedo, emwilltri, mdevries, runninghot, radar987, jgarrett.

NAME:
 Username - smeador / Real Name - Scott

STORY:
 During my college years I watched the Ironman World Championships several times. It was during one of those viewings that I told myself I wanted to do one someday. In 2004, I was diagnosed with sleep apnea and the doctor gave me the usual overweight, cardiac issues, etc... speech. I began CPAP therapy for the apnea but did little else to drop the weight. Through January 2007 I put on more weight and the apnea became worse. In January of 2007 my wife mentioned that she would like to do a 5k program put on by a local running store. We signed up and walked our first 5k three weeks later. The time was not pretty for either of us but we finished. I  was really itching to begin doing a run/walk program to burn those extra calories and decrease the 5k time some. By May of 2007 I completed 4 more 5ks each with slightly better times. 

I was ready to attempt something a little more challenging so I signed up for the store's run-to-walk 1/2 marathon program. The program was a tremendous success for me. I completed the White Rock 1/2 Marathon well under my goal time. 
About that time my dream of completing an Ironman surfaced again. I felt I had a good start with the run programs so I decided to step out and do my first triathlon in March of 2008. Once I finished it I was hooked and began seeing a future in doing triathlons. I completed a few more triathlons in 2008 and also my first full marathon.

2009 was the year I wanted to step up the stakes and complete my first 70.3 race. With the help of a great coach and supporting spouse I completed the OKC Redman 70.3 in September. As soon as I crossed the finish line I knew it was to time to begin fulfilling the dream. In November I signed up for Ironman Arizona and began the long training road and time commitment. 

On November 21, 2010, I my dream to complete an Ironman was fulfilled. Right behind my wedding day it is one of the greatest moments of my life.

FAMILY STATUS: Married - No little ones yet.

CURRENT TRAINING: Strength, core, core, and core.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: Completed Ironman Arizona in November. Only did a couple of other triathlons in 2010 as I wanted to really concentrate on Ironman training.

2011 RACES:  Bold in the Cold 15k
                        TMS Duathlon
                        Cowtown 5k & 1/2 Marathon
                        St. Patty's Day Sprint
                        Texasman Olympic
                        Metroplex Sprint
                        Tall City Sprint
                        Prarieman Aquabike
                        Longhorn IM 70.3
                        Whiterock 1/2 pr full Marathon.

WEIGHTLOSS: I began my triathlon career in 2007 weighing in at 282. My race weight for Ironman Arizona was 212. My desire is to drop out of the clydesdale (< 200) category by the time of Longhorn 70.3.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOR: While the actual racing portion of triathlon is an individual sport, I do not believe that the training has to be. My first triathlon season was pretty lonely and I would not want someone to have the same experience due to lack of resources or contact with others.
 I work from home and check my digital communication methods several times a day. Therefore, I will make myself readily accessible for the BT Mentor program.

Edited by smeador 2011-01-13 11:04 AM

2011-01-05 7:20 PM
in reply to: #3263166

User image

Pro
Keller, Texas
Subject: RE: SMeador's Group - Open

Can I be in your group??

2011-01-05 8:01 PM
in reply to: #3280836

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fort Worth, TX
Of course! Welcome!
2011-01-06 2:01 PM
in reply to: #3280836

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fort Worth, TX
As if I don't know you very well, can you post your bio?
2011-01-06 3:57 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fort Worth, TX
Welcome to the group!

So that we can get to know each other please post a little about yourself. Maybe something along these lines:

NAME?

STORY?

FAMILY STATUS?

CURRENT TRAINING?

ARE YOU A NEWCOMER TO ENDURANCE SPORTS OR A VETERAN?

UPCOMING RACES?

WEIGHTLOSS?

WHAT DO YOU EXPECT FROM ME AS A MENTOR?

WHAT DO YOU EXPECT FROM BEING A MEMBER OF THE GROUP?

ANY ADDITIONAL INFORMATION?

Please also add each team member to your friends list and setup your training logs so we can watch your growth!

To add a friend: Choose Settings (wrench at the top), Training Blog Customization, Friends Tab. A list of group members is at the very top of this thread.
To share your logs: Choose Settings, Training Blog Settings, Privacy Settings.

Scott

Edited by smeador 2011-01-06 5:00 PM
2011-01-06 4:16 PM

This looks to be the perfect group for me with Scotts background and I hope to be able to contribute as well. I have not in the past logged my workouts on BT but should have no problem doing so in the future. 

NAME?    Adam

STORY? I played baseball all through college and was forced to run long distances as a pitcher and grew to hate it. After college I started to workoutout and did a few strong man competitions. After seeing a handfull of the older strongman contenders I realized that is not where I want to be later in life. I had a friend that was doing tri's and thought I would give it a shot. I trained all fall of '09 and spring of '10 really just trying to put it all together. I read alot on BT on how to do things and have really made the plan according to others experiences. I completed 4 sprint tris last year and am looking to complete my first OLY in 2011.  It is my goal to complete 2-3 OLY this year, then 2-3 HIM the next and then finally my first IM in 2013. I think that is the smartest and most obtainable goals and ways to achieve them.

FAMILY STATUS? Married, no kids yet

CURRENT TRAINING? the 20 week transition from sprint to OLY program. I hope to be in OLY shape by May with my first OLY in June

WEIGHTLOSS?  YES! I am looking to lose weight. I dont know what a reasonable  weight for me to stay at would be. I am currently 27 and the lightest I can remember myself being is 215 when I was 21. We will see what I can get to over the next few months. I am looking to cut calories but having a hard time finding the right limit currently.

WHAT DO YOU EXPECT FROM ME AS A MENTOR? Motivation, inspiration and knowledge. You have been through what I am getting ready to experience and learning from others is smarter than making your own mistakes.

Im greatly looking forward to being part of this group. If there is any advice that could be given about nutrition, calorie intake with increased workouts that would b great. I currently feel as if I am bonking in my workouts and need the calories and food to prevent that. But on the other hand, I need to lose about 20 lbs. Frusterating

2011-01-06 4:52 PM
in reply to: #3283042

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fort Worth, TX
Welcome Adam!

It looks like you have a good triathlon base to move up to the Olympic distance this year. Using the BT pre-set baseline to setup your training calendar. Keep in mind that you can change things around a bit to meet your needs.
Your plans to gradually build to longer distances is a great approach. I used the same approach in my own training.

What does your current diet resemble? Do you use a ratio of carb/protein/fat calories? What is your eating schedule like (traditional three meals a day or smaller meals with snacks in-between)?

2011-01-06 7:51 PM

User image

Pro
Keller, Texas

NAME?
Marcy

STORY?

Once upon a time there was a girl named Marcy.  She was a pretty good mountain biker and loved adventure races.  Then, the big 4-0 happened and she was looking for a new challenge.  She came upon an ad for the Danskin Women's Triathlon series.  There was a mini-sprint race in of all places Walt Disney World.  She thought it sounded like a lot of fun.  She had always been very comfortable in the water.  Could ride the heck out of a mountain bike but the running thing was going to be a challenge.  So, she bought herself a road bike and convinced herself that those thin little tires would actually hold her up.  She swam a little and did what was a cross between running and something resembling an elephant on ice skates.  Raceday comes and she had an absolute blast!  The rest, as they say, is history! 

FAMILY STATUS?

Very happily married for almost 18 years to the best husband in the world.  Proud "mom" to Hoover, our 4 legged beagle baby

CURRENT TRAINING?

19 weeks until Ironman Texas so pretty much S/B/R 7-days a week (not all 3, that would just be silly).  Pretty consistent schedule.  Monday off, Tuesday Swim and bike, Wednesday Run, Thursday bike, Friday swim, Sat long bike, Sunday long run

Veteran I guess

UPCOMING RACES?

Ironman Texas on May 21

WEIGHTLOSS?

11 pounds in the past 11 weeks.  Going for 20 in 20 but I have hit a bit of a plateau the past 3 weeks

Encouragement in those dark IM training times where my mind knows I have to workout but my body has other ideas

Best practices and the same thing I would like from Scott...encouragement

Happy to be part of the group!

2011-01-06 7:58 PM

User image

Pro
Keller, Texas

Tonight was a little hour run.  Started at about 5 and did 3 loops around my neighborhood (1.5 miles a loop).  Ran the first 2 with my neighbor so it was at a conversational pace.  Did the last a and just did not have the mojo.  Ended up at 53 minutes but I was cold and I was back at my house so I cut it a little short.

Tomorrow I ride in the morning and then hot the pool for my weekly endurance swim in the afternoon.

Saturday Bold in the Cold 15K.

Welcome Adam.  I think this is going to be a really good mentor group!

Edited by dodgersmom 2011-01-06 7:59 PM
2011-01-07 9:44 AM

User image

Pro
Keller, Texas

Started the day with a good trainer spin.  Getting out of bed an hour early was actually a workout in itself.

Swim tonight

2011-01-07 12:55 PM

Happy Friday for sure! Long day today. Long story short, I own two businesses, one of which is 120 miles away and I had to make the trip there and back this morning for meetings. This evening my wonderful wife has made social plans for us literally 30 minutes after I get home. I am unfortunately going to miss my workout today and that frusterates me. I know tomorrow will be good, it is the "long" run of the week for me @ 5miles. I know that doesnt seem like alot to you IMers but Im slowly building for that half in May. One step at a time. 

2011-01-07 12:56 PM

AAAANNDDDDDD, we need a few more team members.....come on people, dont be shy. Join up, you wont regret it.
2011-01-07 2:59 PM
in reply to: #3284915

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fort Worth, TX
What is on your workout plan for today? I used a couple of options for missed workouts: Switch with my off day or drop it if it not a key workout. I sometimes dwell on the frustration of a missed workout but I am learning to let it go.

Right now anything over 4.5 is long to me. Having some issues with tight shins and calves.
Going to run Bold In The Cold 15k tomorrow with Marcy. Hope everything will be loose. I will post a race report sometime tomorrow afternoon.

2011-01-07 3:04 PM
in reply to: #3284341

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fort Worth, TX
Was planning a one hour straight swim today but settled for a 47 minutes. No biking this week. Have only managed to ride three times since November. Cadence is longing to be ridden.
2011-01-08 1:00 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fort Worth, TX
Just got home from doing the Bold in The Cold 15k, put on by the Grapevine Runners and Walkers. Will post link to my race report once I see the final results.
2011-01-08 1:51 PM

User image

Pro
Keller, Texas

Great job at BITC (no H) Scott.  You completly smoked me past mile 5!

I will take revenge next year!

2011-01-08 3:19 PM

Nice job on your run today guys! I had a great run myself this morning. Going to enjoy my day off tomorrow and hit next week hard!
2011-01-08 6:22 PM
in reply to: #3286761

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fort Worth, TX

I may have smoked you this morning but I am paying for it tonight.

2011-01-08 9:01 PM
in reply to: #3287177

User image

Pro
Keller, Texas

smeador - 2011-01-08 6:22 PM

I may have smoked you this morning but I am paying for it tonight.

So am I

2011-01-09 7:54 AM

User image

Master
Southern Ontario
I'm IN! (If that's okay)

NAME?

Stef

STORY?

I have been racing triathlon since 2000.  I come from a swimming background - was swimming masters competitively and when I couldn't improve my times I started to get frustrated.  Everyone else was racing triathlon - so I figured I could too.  I love the swim and bike - the run isn't my favourite - but I do enjoy some of my runs. ;o)

FAMILY STATUS?
Me and the two furkids.  I have a Doberman and a Lab-x.  They both come with me on training runs - Wes (lab-x) is good for up to 6k and Tux (Dobe) ran up to 12k with me last season. I am dating someone - and it's fairly serious.  But he has no interest in s/b/r.  He's a ball-sport guy.

CURRENT TRAINING?
I sort of slacked off for Oct-Dec but I'm back on track this week - slowly increasing mileage.  I broke my toe in November - so running has been out - but I'm starting to feel good again.  I'm looking at the Mississauga 1/2 Marathon May 14th as my early race.  Then this year I am going to "race" the sprint distance.  So I'm focusing on power and speed this season.

I've been racing triathlon for a long time.  I started with Sprint distance and have completed two 1/2 Iron distance as well as 4 1/2 marathons and who knows how many 5k and 10k races.  I tend to be very successful at the shorter distances.  I also coach x-country, track and swimming. 

UPCOMING RACES?
My race season has changed slightly - I just found out my board is sending me to China for a month in the summer - so no long races for me this year. 
May:
1/2 Mary
Belle River Sprint
June:
Leamington Sprint
Welland Sprint
August:
Goderich?
September:
Lakeside

I'm also going to race a "run" series that is local in the area.  They award points for the series - so I'm going to work at that goal as well. They have a race (sometimes two) per month.  I have won several 5k races both overall female and AG wins.  So I'm going to use my strength in the short distance.

WEIGHTLOSS?
I have about 8lbs on me that will have to go by race season.  Not really a focus - just more of a management/training volume issue... *laughing*

I think it's good to have people to talk to about training. 

Support, encouragement and a community of people who are all working towards their goals.

2011-01-09 9:31 AM

illinois
i would love to join your group I have done a sprint tri in 2000 and again in 2005. I have been working out 4-5 days per week and really got into biking this summer with my longest ride 67 miles. my running is not that great cuz my feet hurt! I am hoping to get an arch insert and hopefully that will help. I am a good swimmer but currently am not in the pool. I spin 3-4 days a week--yoga , kettle ball pump class and i would really like to strengthen the core like you mentioned. I am a bus driver so i sit a lot. I work 4 10 hour days. usually 3 days off-- I have about 10 pounds to shed which isn't bad but i have been heavier and never want to be that way again. I have to work at it each and every day and it is a constant struggle! I am looking for support and motivation to achieve my goals thru your mentor program. I want to do a tri this summer and am ready to start . looking 4ward to meeting you and others in this group.

2011-01-09 9:33 AM

STEF! Welcome to the group. very happy to have another member to get to know and ask questions. Can't wait to pick your brain a bit on longer distances. Glad to have you!
2011-01-09 9:35 AM
in reply to: #3287865

illinois

Edited by diamond 2011-01-09 5:31 PM
2011-01-09 9:57 AM
in reply to: #3287865

User image

Master
Southern Ontario
bikermanmo - 2011-01-09 9:33 AM STEF! Welcome to the group. very happy to have another member to get to know and ask questions. Can't wait to pick your brain a bit on longer distances. Glad to have you!

Whoooohooooo!! Pick away.  The first year was a bit of a try and see - but last year I got my stuff together and had a phenomenal race with a sub 2-hr 1/2 mary.

I've got a spin on the docket today. 
2011-01-09 9:58 AM
in reply to: #3287861

User image

Master
Southern Ontario
diamond - 2011-01-09 9:31 AM i would love to join your group I have done a sprint tri in 2000 and again in 2005. I have been working out 4-5 days per week and really got into biking this summer with my longest ride 67 miles. my running is not that great cuz my feet hurt! I am hoping to get an arch insert and hopefully that will help. I am a good swimmer but currently am not in the pool. I spin 3-4 days a week--yoga , kettle ball pump class and i would really like to strengthen the core like you mentioned. I am a bus driver so i sit a lot. I work 4 10 hour days. usually 3 days off-- I have about 10 pounds to shed which isn't bad but i have been heavier and never want to be that way again. I have to work at it each and every day and it is a constant struggle! I am looking for support and motivation to achieve my goals thru your mentor program. I want to do a tri this summer and am ready to start . looking 4ward to meeting you and others in this group.

Hi Diamond!! I know it's tough when you have longer days to schedule in workouts... However - my sister is a nurse and has lots of ways around it...

Sounds like you're looking forward to a fun season!!

Edited by Silver_wlf 2011-01-09 9:58 AM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SMeador's Group - FULL! Rss Feed  

of 12