BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Kido's Summertime Shenanigan Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 12

2011-04-11 2:06 PM

User image

Sensei
Sin City
Subject: Kido's Summertime Shenanigan Group - CLOSED

I decided to give the mentor progam another go.  Please read below, and if it feels like a group for you, please join up!

NAME: Kido / Jim
STORY: I am a 42 yr old clydesdale (6'7" - 225lb and dropping!) that has had a life long interest in triathlon, but only started to DO triathlon about 4.5 years ago.  Before then, it was a lot of swimming, biking (of all kinds), and running along with many other sports.  I finally put them together in late 2006.  I wanted to get back my fitness and lose some weight and thought triathlon would provide some structure.
FAMILY STATUS: I am married to a wonderful/beautiful woman, no kids. 
CURRENT TRAINING: I personally train with a moderately technical approach.  I'm a firm believer in plans and I train by heart rate and/or RPE.  I'm currently training for shorter events but I will be doing my 3rd Ironman in December, so I will transition to the longer training session mid summer.
THIS YEAR'S RACES: 2011 has just started, so I have been training for a couple shorter distance races.  I just completed an XTERRA event and have an Olympic distance even coming soon.  My big events of last year where Ironman St. George and the local Silverman race in the fall.
2011 RACES:  I want to do several Olympic distance events this spring/early summer, and finish the year off with IMAZ.  This year, my main focus/goal is to finally get to an optimal race weight for IMAZ.
WEIGHTLOSS: I have been working towards an optimal race weight for IMAZ.  Since the new year, I have lost an average of 6-7 lbs a month, and have about 20 lbs to go 

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOR:

I have been around BT for what feels like a LONG time and still get online at least once a day, if not more oftern.  As you might notice from my post count, I talk A LOT!  I love to answer questions to the best of my ability, or if I don't know the answer, do a bit of research and get back to you.

I'll be honest, I had mixed results from the first time I did a mentor group.  I think several of the group expected a coach.  I think they wanted me to analyze their training and coach them along or give them workouts.  That's not what I think a mentor group is (even though I DO look at logs and provide advice/tips)  I respond MUCH better to questions, either in the forum, or by PM's.  I believe a mentor group is a mutual sharing of thoughts and ideas and group participation is always best.

I believe I have a lot to offer and feel pretty knowledgable in just about every area.  I know about offroad/XTERRA, short courses, Ironman distances, weight loss, bike fitting, equipment, and racing as a bigger athlete.  I can get about as technical as you want with regards to training, but still subscribe to the "simpler is better" approach.  That's more "fun" for me!  First and foremost, this sport is supposed to be FUN!  That way, each workout doesn't feel like a chore or burden, which can happen over the years.

I welcome anyone of any ability and experience level, but really look forward to helping the new people to the sport.

Look forward to working with you and a fun/productive summer of 2011!

Edited by Kido 2011-05-06 1:50 PM

2011-04-25 2:41 PM
in reply to: #3440446

User image

Sensei
Sin City
Subject: RE: Kido's Summertime Shenanigan Group - OPEN
And we are coming to you LIVE!
2011-04-26 1:07 PM

User image

Regular
Los Alamos

NAME: chsdaddy/Karl
STORY: I'm 37, and decided to commit to triathlons as a way to lose weight and provide a focus to make a healthy lifestyle change.  I completed my first triathlon in 2006, and got injured playing softball shortly after, had a kid, changes careers, blah blah blah.  This year decided to keep my focus I would qualify for the Southwest Challenge series by completing 5 events in the series.  I'm interested in you group because I'm a Clyde also and looking for advise from another big guy.  I did a practice race (not part of the series) on the 17th and in training for that have lost 26 lbs to date down to 220 from 246, since February.
FAMILY STATUS: Married with a 4 year old boy. 
CURRENT TRAINING: I started with my own training plan modified from a plan I did in 2006 for my first race this year and lost a lot of weight.  The race was tough, I only did 1 training run, I used the elliptical in place of running, cause it hurts my knees and foot.  When I was 9 I stepped on a nail and almost lost my foot due to a bone infection, which has left that foot deformed.  I get plantar fasciaitis, unless I work up slowly on the run (which I'm doing now).  Right now I'm training for a sprint with a little more focus on the run and swim.  I feel I'm pretty strong on the bike.  I kept track of every bite of food I put in my mouth along with training for the last race, this race I'm just training to see if I learned anything.  I'll try and attached my plans, as they are in spreadsheet format.  I live in the mountains of New Mexico and it is just starting to get nice enough to get outside, although it is snowing today, but it's a great place to train.
THIS YEAR'S RACES: Completed Tri the Rim in Durango, CO, Registered Ruidoso Triathlon, Planned City of Santa Fe Triathlon, Planned Tri the Chile Harvest Triathlon, Planned Patriot Triathlon, Planned Wounded Warrior Triathlon
WEIGHTLOSS: Like I mentioned I have lost 26 lbs to date and would like to end up around 200  by the end of the season.  The series I am going to compete in will start me out in the Clydesdale class, so if I lose too much weight and have to switch to age group my points will be lost, but that's a good thing!

Excited about what transformations can take place, scared of injury.  I need to be patient and let my competitive spirit take a break and get through a good season of base building and maybe next year step up the competitiveness.

Attachments
----------------
Copy of Ruidoso Tri.xlsx (27KB - 18 downloads)
2011-04-26 1:13 PM

User image

Regular
Los Alamos
I guess the plan from my first race is too big, I can email it if your interested.

Edited by chsdaddy 2011-04-26 1:17 PM
2011-04-26 11:15 PM
in reply to: #3466895

User image

Sensei
Sin City

Welcome Karl, and congrats on the weight loss.

I'm not an expert on PF, but I do know there has been a lot of conversation on BT about the issue...

We can get into it more a little later, but you may want to think about aquajogging as a substitute for running instead of the elliptical as it is closer to running than the machine.  I have ofter heard of it used during down time for injuries and even know a few people that did a majority of their run training for an IM via aquajogging and they did great in the race.

2011-04-27 10:50 PM

User image

Regular
Los Alamos

I've seen a few people running in the pool, so that's what they're doing, aqua jogging.  Dangit  I though maybe they were just worse at swimming than me!

The run I did in the Tri this spring was painful just because I didn't run.  I have some orthodics that seem to have eliminated the problem.  I have done 2 training runs and haven't had problem either so, I think if I stay patient and built slowly I'll be okay.  But it's nice to have a backup.  I didn't think about the pool.

So my next challenge will be a 10 day vacation to FL starting tomorrow.  Gonna see the space shuttle Friday and fish till I can't fish no more!  I am going to have fun and love seafood so not worried about eating too much.  I am going to try and get in a couple runs and a couple of swim workouts.  I still will have 5 weeks before the next race after we get back to train more before the race.  I'm looking at this as a season/lifestyle change so I'm okay with the vacation.

I'll touch base after I get back

2011-05-01 7:03 PM
in reply to: #3464992

Hey Kido,

I'm not keen to participate in online training-type programs as technology is not my cup-of-tea. However, I do appreciate that stepping out of one's comfort zone to aqcuire needed encouragement and advice could be a very helpful tool.

I like that you are not all about the hard-core technology but use some of it to help you meet your goals. I am interested in knowing what type of an affordable heart monitor is out there that you would suggest for a beginner.

I also like that you are more about the "FUN" of the sport.

I am not a competitive person, but I have been an athletic person for most my life. I completed my first Triathlon (sprint) last November - I live in Bermuda - so it was daoble without a wetsuit. I am hoping to better my time on the same Triathlon this coming November. The local Triathlon association has try-a-tri's every week throughout the summer which I took part in last year.

I have basically done the big goose egg since I completed my November Triathlon. I would call myself lazy at the moment and unmotivated, and easily overwelmed by what I have to work up to again. I did not enjoy my training AT ALL last year except for my final week. I was not a strong swimmer and walked for a lot of the 5 k run. But...I was so happy to have accomplished what I have wanted to do for over 10 years.

I am married with furry children only! My husband and I are Canadian but live in Bermuda which provides great weather for training all year long and open water training half the year.

Would love to lose weight in this venture as well so will need nutritional guidance as well.

Many thanks,

Clfoxer

2011-05-01 8:55 PM

New user

Can I join please?

I completed 2 sprint tris last year and was happy with that. I am looking to do at least 3 this year - the same 2 as last year (will be unhappy if I don't beat the times) and a tri with an open water swim, which will be a new challenge for me.

I am 43, a teacher, a father of 4 children with nowhere near enough time to do the training I should. I have a good level of base fitness but need to work on my cycling as this seems to be the bit that costs me most time. I need to do longer training rides and push myself a bit harder to build up more speed in my legs.

Adam

2011-05-02 9:57 PM

User image

Expert
Palm Bay

I would like to try being in a group again.  I failed at my last attempt.

NAME: Steve Hebert

STORY: Got into triathlons about 3 years ago, because I am over weight and need to exercise.  I got bored just running, so I decided hey I can do all 3 of these sports, so why not try. 

I competed in 4 super sprints my first season, finished 3 of 4 but that is another story.  Last year I completed 4 sprints, the final one with a torn labrum in left shoulder.   I had surgery in Nov.

I have started walk/jogging and mostly stretching.

I need a group to encourage me to get back into the game.  I have not been in the water since my surgery and am actually a little scared to do it.  I was signed up for a tri at the end of May, but pulled out.  I am considering a shorter sprint tri late July, but would need to work to be ready.

FAMILY: Married, 4 children, 1 teaching school, 1 senior in College, 1 in Basic Training in Army, 1 Junior in High School.

TRAINING: Not much in my log, but stretching daily and doing some core.  Walk/ Jog at least 1 time per week.

GOAL: Be at or below 200 by Christmas...  Currently 230ish..  Be below Clydes by Race May 28, 2012.

2011-05-02 11:20 PM
in reply to: #3478867

User image

Sensei
Sin City

Welcome everyone!  Glad to see interest.  I have been sort of away for the last week or so.  I think it's because I have been sort of "winging it" with training right now.  Getting it in when I can.  I don't need to really start up my IM work for another month or two, but need to stay in enough shape to hit the ground running when I get there.

I'm a firm believer, unless you are they type the live/die for a particular hobby/sport/activity, you need to step away and mix it up or you could get burned out and it loses it's charm.

As for the lost cost Heart rate monitor...  I could easily live with my Timex Ironman HRM.  It's easily comes in under 100 bucks.  However, if you like the benifits of a GPS.  I do, I love the features it has and the info it gives me when I do outdoor activities, the Garmin 305 is a WONDERFUL device and can be bought at Best Buy and other locations for 199 bucks.

As a side note, owning a HRM is worthless if you don't know how to use it and set up your HR zones for YOU.  I can easily get into that as well.  Very simple, but does take some effort.

Again, welcome everyone.

2011-05-02 11:21 PM
in reply to: #3478970

User image

Sensei
Sin City
As a side note, I like the atmosphere of the group to be encouraging, but not overly competitive.  I DO understand how a group can give you that extra bit of motivation, but I don't want anyone to feel like it's a competition.  It's not about how much or how far people go, but that they get out there.

2011-05-04 11:30 AM

User image

Expert
Palm Bay
Got out and walked today at lunch...  Hot but worth it.
2011-05-04 3:14 PM

User image

New user

Hi! I'd like to join.... got my first EVER tri (Sprint) coming up in less than 4 weeks so need a bit of encouragement and to calm the nerves!

NAME: Kat

STORY: Originally from the UK, currently living in beautiful BC, Canada. Have always been moderately sporty, doing fun runs etc. for a long time but always wanted to try tris. Got a nice road bike last and here in BC the lakes are beautiful and it's just great to be outside so I went ahead and entered for a couple of tris! I'm doing them all for charity too.

So I'm really just trying to get fit again, raising some money for prostate cancer research, and having lots of fun along the way! And i'm a bit nervous so any encouragement will be well and truly appreciated!

FAMILY: In a long-term relationship with a lovely man. No kids, yet. Dog adoption, pending :)

TRAINING: At the moment I'm trying to do 'whatever I can whenever I can'. So that's been about 5-7 hours a week. I bike to work when it's dry, I jog a couple of times a week at the gym or around local parks, and I swim when I get the chance. I'm not feeling super fit right now, but not horribly unfit either. Just trying to work out the training log right now so it might not be terribly accurate, but think it will come in useful to see where my weak points are (at the moment i've hardly done any swimming as the local pool is closed, but I have a plan for this starting this week in another pool, and I've always been ok at swimming so fingers crossed will be back into it soon!).

GOAL: Complete first ever triathlon at the end of this month (I don't even care about times, just want to finish the first one!). Then I have entered another in July, and think I'm doing another in August. Possibly one or 2 others if they 'fit' too! I'm also doing an 8km run on Fathers day, June 19th, and a 110km+ bike ride in August (also for charity).

So! Any advice, encouragement etc. would be great! And i look forward to hearing about other peoples tri experiences!

Kat

Edited by gokat 2011-05-31 12:32 PM
2011-05-04 7:43 PM

User image

Veteran
Cleveland area, OH

Hi there! I would love to join.

Name: Michelle

Story: Like so many others on this site, I am training for my first triathlon. My first race (a sprint) will be in early July. I have actually been training for about 10 weeks now, working on building my endurance in all three sports. I began swimming again back in the fall after a 10+ year hiatus and all of the triathletes at the pool inspired me to "tri." Running is by far my least favorite and therefore weakest of the three sports.

Family Status: Unmarried, with one magnificently furry kid (dog

Training Plan: I am using a basic 2 x 2 x 2 plan and include weight training twice per week (one day for lower body, one day for upper body). I also am a big fan of simple and straightforward. I use my heart rate monitor for all my workouts except swimming to keep me on track. 

2011 Races: As mentioned above, I intend to complete a sprint tri on July 10th. If all goes well, I may compete in a second race in early August as well. 

Weight Loss: I lost about 10 pounds as part of a challenge at my gym during the holidays. I would like to lose another 10 by race day. The past few months have been tough ones in terms of sticking to a consistent eating plan, mainly due to stress and time constraints, and while I have not gained any weight back, I have not lost weight either.

What I am looking for here: I would love any advice on training, race day etc. since this will be my first experience. I am also looking for motivation and support for both my training and my nutrition. Despite not being married and having no children, the time I have for training is pretty limited (about 7-8 hours per week), so I need to be able to maximize the time I do have. 

2011-05-05 3:56 PM
in reply to: #3482638

User image

Sensei
Sin City

Welcome to the new "recruits"!

So far we have:

Karl, clfoxer, Adam, Steve, Kat, and Michelle (and myself).  I'm thinking 8 total would be good, but happy with the group we have as well, so we can get it going soon!

I was lazy yesterday and need to force myself out of the house a little and get some laps in today.  So off to the gym...

Maybe as a starter, what does everyone have planned for an event/race?  We can sort of focus on a specific event for you.  I'm sort of in "limbo" right now.  Nothing on the immediate horizon.  I should fix that so I can get a little more motiviation.  It's good to have goals.

2011-05-05 5:42 PM

User image

New user

3.5 weeks until Subaru Western Triathlon series starts here in BC. I'm doing the Shawnigan Lake sprint (my first ever, very nervous!).

I've got a couple of questions for you actually:

I plan on using my Camel Bak for the bike and run legs as I find I just can't drink enough otherwise (I was very sick a few years back and find it hard to stay hydrated now). Is it normal for people to use these while racing? Are they even allowed actually?!

Also, I'm getting a wetsuit this weekend so I'll feel better about the cold lake. Looking to spend around $300 CAD. Any good tips about good makes/ or makes to avoid?

Thanks, Kat

2011-05-05 7:25 PM

User image

Expert
Palm Bay

I SWAM!!!!!!  First pool work out since shoulder surgery in November...  5 x 40 yards....

now for events.

5K race this week-end (I will mostly walk...  want to beat 43, since I walk/jogged 5K at 43.12 2 weeks ago.

Planned Race Schedule for 2011

Founders 5K - July 4

Melbourne Beach Sprint Tri - July 31 (Not sure of this one...  Last year came in last overall male)

I run for Pizza 5K - August 13

Battle of the Bridges Sprint Tri - October 2

Ghostly Gecko 5K - Oct 22

Jingle Bell 2 Miler - Dec 17

YEAH I GOT IN THE WATER AND SWAM!!!!!!!!  Smile

2011-05-05 7:49 PM

User image

San Jose

Hi there; I'd like to join the group if possible.

NAME: Stefanie

STORY: 42 years old; I was a book worm as a kid and a sedentary workaholic in my 20s and 30s.  A bit more balanced now (I call myself a recovering couch potato.) Started working out regularly a little more than a year ago and love the quality of life changes - extra energy, sound sleep, and the ability to hike as long as I'd like.  Totally new to triathlon training.

FAMILY STATUS:  About to celebrate one year of dating a wonderful person who is a life long athlete (Div 1 Rowing in college); she is currently training for an Olympic distance Tri.  Needless to say, lots of tri support!   We occasionally train together but I hate slowing down faster people and usually work out alone.

CURRENT TRAINING:  Building my cardio base. Strongest skill is swim, weakest is running (working through Couch to 5k; on week 5 day 2.)  Oddly enough, I enjoy running the most.  I am about to reset my training calendar on BT with a 12 week Sprint plan with the goal of doing a local sprint in early September.  I bike regularly for enjoyment and occasionally bike commute (~30 mi RT)  Was going to do a 5 day, 545mi bike event in June of this year but crashed twice (concussion); decided to build up my bike skills instead and do the event in 2012.  Cycling brought me to tri sports.

WEIGHTLOSS:  I was a chubby kid and as an adult, size has been anywhere in between skinny and overweight.  My current BMI is at the top of normal weight; I'd like to move that down toward the lower range to maximize power/lb.  Hill climbing will be so much easier!

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE:  Looking for some basic guidance, not a coach or a therapist.  Like to cheer on others.

2011-05-06 7:40 AM

If there's still room, this sounds like my kind of group!

Name: CJFealy/Chelsea

STORY: No... I'm not a Clydesdale (though my husband is!), but have been obsessed with the idea of a triathlon for years. I hit 30 in December and decided it was now or never. I was a competitive rower in high school and college, have run a few half marathons and was going to start training for a full, but I got so bored! Part of the appeal of the tri is mixing up the training and not doing just one thing. I have always been an ADD athlete and I feel like this might be the perfect mix. Losing some extra lbs would be a pretty nifty side-effect, but mostly I just want to get back into condition and competition in a way that is fun and interesting.

FAMILY STATUS: Married my dream man/Clydesdale in December 2010. He's a serious martial artist so he appreciates my need to fit training in at all costs. I also have a fur baby named Lola who is a sweetheart (except when giving me the "depressed dog" look when I leave for a ride/run without her).

CURRENT TRAINING: I'm following a Run/Swim focused plan from BT because those are probably my weakest events. Right now I am focusing on volume building and getting my asthmatic lungs back into shape, but am all about HR/RPE as a means of measuring effort consistently. An old coach ingrained "technique wins races" into my brain, so these first few weeks have been about learning form as well.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: 2 sprint tris in July and an Olympic in September (with a possible half-marathon a few weeks later). Assuming there are no fuutre real babies on the way the following summer I'd like to do a few more Olympics and maybe a half-IM. I live in Ohio so the weather is not always optimal for year-round racing/road training!

WEIGHT LOSS: I'm more after some fat loss. I'm currently at 22.9%, but would like to get down to 17-18%. If that means putting on muscle I'm ok with my current weight.

BIGGEST CHALLENGE: TIME!!!! I work 60+ hrs a week and work early to late. I have definitely missed more training sessions than I'd have liked due to pure exhaustion. I'm looking for that motivating push to get me on the bike/in the pool/on the road when I reeeeeally don't want to be. Some clues as to how to be a more efficient cyclist/runner/swimmer would also be helpful, but I have been reading obsessively about that, so it's not a deal breaker

Edited by CJFealy 2011-05-06 7:43 AM
2011-05-06 11:36 AM

User image

manchester, UK

hi... I would like to join if still available

name: Mike

Story: currently training for my first sprint triathlon at the end of july, i live in the uk.  Ive been interested in tri's for a few years now ever since i took a few years out and was travelling around new zealand and there happened to be the Wanaka iron man going on, i was hooked! just so you know im a clyde 6'5" 250lb ex body builder reasonably lean still. I have a very active job and sometimes i need some pushing to go out after work!

Family Status: live with Girlfreind (not to supportiveFrown)

Races: the london triathlon, great north swim, great salford swim, leeds triathlon, try to fit in so 10k runs as well. also i do an organised 5k run nearly every saturday www.parkrun.co.uk just so you know what it is.

Weight loss: well at the earlier mentioned wanaka ironman i weighed in at a massive 22.5 stone i think thats around 315lb ( yes i really had let myself go) after a year of travelling around asia and australia i got my weight down to 210lb, which i believe would be my ideal race weight.

thats about all i think, thanks

2011-05-06 12:49 PM

User image

Pro
Norwalk, Connecticut

for those new peeps, Jim is a great Mentor and a great athlete, don't let him fool you, lol.

I was in his first mentor group and gained some very insightful information from him.

be sure to ask questions, that is how i gleaned a ton of info from him, he is very very knowledgeable.

best of luck to all the firsttimers!!!

2011-05-06 12:52 PM

Hey Kido,

Thanks for being a mentor.  This summer to commemorate turning 49, I decided to enter my first sprint triathlon.  I have never really been a "runner" and have many fears about injuring my feet since having plantar fascitis.  At this point, I am half jogging, half running the workouts, religiously stretching to avoid reinjuring my feet.  Biking--well I am new to this too, although I found out my exercise bike is much easier to ride than my mountain bike, which I have only recently started to ride for training.  I love swimming!  I just learned about "active recovery" so I have shifted from doing mostly freestyle and having to stop every 25-50 yards, to doing mostly breast or side stroke with freestyle every fourth or fifth pool length so that I can keep going to build endurance.  I appreciate whatever tips or encouragement or inspiration you can give.  Thanks! 

2011-05-06 1:51 PM
in reply to: #3485624

User image

Sensei
Sin City
OK!  Looks like we have our group.  I can't wait to get started!  But first, I need to run a bit today!  So once I get back and cleaned up, I will put a list together and get this going!  Should be a good summer!
2011-05-06 5:09 PM
in reply to: #3485763

User image

Sensei
Sin City

So, I had a terrible run today, which caused me to think to mention something...

We all have bad workouts.  We all have bad days, even weeks...  But don't sweat it.  Any workout is better than none.  You still get some benifit for it, and you still burn the calories.  I see a lot of people get discouraged with a bad run of training.  But like market, there are ups and downs and fluctuations.  But in the long run?  You GAIN!

2011-05-07 2:00 AM

User image

New user
Subject: RE: Kido's Summertime Shenanigan Group - CLOSED

I just had a great swim, really enjoyed it and it's the first time I've been in a while! Arms are gonna hurt tomorrow.

So what's your verdict on using a Camel Bak for the bike/run leg of a triathlon? Does anyone use them? I'm not sure i can cope without mine!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Kido's Summertime Shenanigan Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 12