General Discussion Triathlon Talk » IMFL or IM Cozumel? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-07-18 6:23 PM

User image

Coastal Carolina
Subject: IMFL or IM Cozumel?

Recently got the OK from the wife to go for an IM race, proabably my last chance to do that distance race before kids, 1 year married, so want to go all out...

Trying to decide on a race I figure my best bet is a race in the fall of next year, started training in January for Tri's, so I am looking at FL or Cozumel is there a preference among BT'ers?  I've read the race reports and they both sound like great venues just seeing if anyone has done both and could recomend one.  Plan on it also being a vacation after the race for a week or so.  I train on pancakes in coastal SC so would prefer to race on them as well (nothing new on race day.)  Any suggestions/advice appreciated

2011-07-18 10:14 PM
in reply to: #3602695

Veteran
Vicksburg
Subject: RE: IMFL or IM Cozumel?
I am interested in the responses too.  I am fixing to do my first IM and if I like it and get my wife's approval those two are on my list.  Pros for me for Florida its cheap and I can drive to it.  Lake Placid is crazy expensive and buying plane tickets for the whole family and mother-n-law aint cheap.
2011-07-19 7:26 AM

User image

Champion
MA

IMFL wetsuit legal IM Coz not wetsuit legal

Getting to IMFL is easier for most of us; Coz you need to take a direct flight or take a boat which means transporting you, your bike and stuff by taxi about 45' to the boat to Coz. Logistics can be challenging. First year someone's bike fell off boat on way to Coz.

Another thing to consider is how do you do in foreign country?  Some folks handle that easy others not as much. IM race is big race and being someplace that could put you out of your comfort zone may not be great.

Last year some athletes had things stolen out of T1 like Garmins, sunglasses, and one athlete's T2 bag disappeared.

Consider:

cost, flexibility, travel, wetsuit, and you will figure it out

2011-07-19 12:37 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
PaaMul QRoo, MX
Tripopo - 2011-07-18 6:23 PM

Recently got the OK from the wife to go for an IM race, proabably my last chance to do that distance race before kids, 1 year married, so want to go all out...

Trying to decide on a race I figure my best bet is a race in the fall of next year, started training in January for Tri's, so I am looking at FL or Cozumel is there a preference among BT'ers?  I've read the race reports and they both sound like great venues just seeing if anyone has done both and could recomend one.  Plan on it also being a vacation after the race for a week or so.  I train on pancakes in coastal SC so would prefer to race on them as well (nothing new on race day.)  Any suggestions/advice appreciated

If it makes any difference the entire island will shut down for the race (coz) and we'll have the road to ourselves.  It will be my first IM.

2011-07-20 1:13 PM

User image

Veteran
Puerto Aventuras

I have heard both are great although I have only done Cozumel. Kathy has some good points although I don't think you can hardly consider Cozumel a foreign country. I live down here in Playa del Carmen and am Mexican, but just saying everyone speaks english here and the whole Island is built around tourism, so you will have zero issues in terms of being a foreigner. I can tell you that the crowd support is great. As mentioned before the whole Island hits the streets for the Ironman. There are bands, people dancing on the street, etc... 

Coz may not be wetsuit legal, but I doubt that you will find a nicer Ironman swim. It is spectacular. Last couple of years it has been flat as a pool and the visibility and sea life are amazing. You feel like you are on a snorkeling tour. 

Any way, I am sure you will have a great experience in either one!! Good luck! 

2011-07-20 1:15 PM

User image

Coastal Carolina
Thanks for the replies I'm leaning towars cozumel but looking at entry fees it might have to be FL

2011-07-20 1:27 PM
in reply to: #3606421

User image

Master
Cumming, Georgia

I've only done Cozumel but I had such a great time there.  The cost is really no more expensive than traveling in the US.  The island is beautiful and the crowd support was unreal.  My wife and I weren't affraid to go out and explore and that made it fun as well.  After the race we went to Cancun for a couple of days, rented a car, and drove to see the Mayan ruins. 

Your wife is going to making a big sacrifice during your training so why not return the favor to her like I did for my wife and give her a post race week vacation to do what ever she wants.

My vote is Cozumel.

2011-07-20 4:39 PM

User image

Master
My wife had such a great time in Cozumel she tried to get me to sign up for 2011 but we agreed on 2012. Like others have mentioned, the crowd support is outstanding. It was a lot more expensive due to  airline tickets and unexpected long layovers in Dallas with hotel charges, but overall if money and no wetsuit are not a big issue I would go with Cozumel.
2011-07-20 7:21 PM

User image

The Original
Raleigh/Durham

I've done both IM FL (2006- first IM) and IM Cozumel (2009- 2nd IM).  Hands down, Cozumel is way better than FL if you ask me.

For the obvious reason, Cozumel is just a safe, fun place to visit.  It's absolutely gorgeous!  PCB is ok- the beaches are nice and have white sand.  The Gulf is ok- definitely not clear like Cozumel though. It doesn't even come close to comparing to the Carribbean.

The locals living on Cozumel were so excited to host the race and were extrememly supportive of the athletes.  The atmosphere was just awesome- so much enthusiasm and support.  IM FL has great spectators, but some of the locals aren't all supportive of all the triathletes invading their territory.  Couzmel just had more excitement in the air.

With the IM FL swim, you have a lot of breakers to contend with and you swim 2 loops.  It's wetsuit legal and the water can be like glass, or super choppy depending on the conditions.  Cozumel isn't wetsuit legal but the swim course is only 1 loop and it's in more of a protected area so you don't deal with any breakers.  And the Cozumel swim is just gorgeous- I saw sting rays, starfish and a ton of colorful fish during the swim which really helped to pass time- I never got bored.  There were a few boats out there as well with spectators which was fun because you could hear the music and cheering from them while you swam- so much fun.  The IM FL swim isn't that pretty at all- you can see your hand and it's clearer than most lakes I've swam in living in the SE, but really no comparison to the IM Cozumel swim.

When I did IM FL a cold front blew in the day before the race, so the bike course was crazy windy. However, it was nothing compared to the Cozumel bike course.  Cozumel gets some crazy cross wind on the other side of the island.  I heard last year it wasn't as windy as the first year, but be prepared for some cross winds in that race.  The IM FL bike course I thought was boring- it has zero scenary.  Cozumel was a 3 loop bike course so for spectators it was great.  And a lot of people rented scooters and cruised to the other side of the island so that was nice.  For IM FL there weren't a lot of spectators hit the bike course since it's only 1 loop and in the middle of nowhere.  The scenary on the Cozumel bike course was amazing on the other side of the island- definitely worth seeing over 112 miles.

I'd say both the runs are pretty equal as far as terrain is concerned- they are both flat.  Cozumel can be hot/humid whereas FL tends to be cooler.  IM Cozumel has aid stations every 1km and FL has them every 1 mile.  When I did Cozumel the aid stations weren't like buffets at all- just had water, Gatorade and Coke and that's it.  IM FL had everything- it was like a buffett.  The run course is 3 out and back loops at Cozumel, which is great for spectating and you're never really out in the middle of nowhere for very long.  It's awesome running through downtown Cozumel packed with bars, shops, spectators, etc.  IM FL is 2 loops that are out and back.  The mosquitoes on the island are viscious at dusk and you have to make sure to have repellent for the run.  When I did the race I got eaten alive on the run but I heard that last year the aid stations were stock with bug spray.

I think that sums it all up.  I loved Cozumel and would do it again.  It's obviously more expensive than FL and you have to fly with your bike, but it's totally worth it.  And the swim up bar at our resort came in handy after the race

Let me know if you have any other questions!

2011-07-20 7:29 PM

User image

The Original
Raleigh/Durham
Also- we stayed at an all inclusive for Couzmel but the food was awful.  If we ever went back again we'd probably rent a condo on www.vrbo.com  They have some nice beach front condos for really good rates.  Cozumel has a huge grocery store near the race venue called "Mega" that is like a Super Wal-Mart.  You can buy anything there and could save a lot of money by cooking in.  When you checkout the register converts the price into American dollars from pesos, so it's really easy for paying and knowing how much it costs. 
2011-07-20 10:46 PM

User image

Master
Saratoga Springs, Utah

Cozumel was great. Considering doing that race again next year.

2011-07-21 9:09 AM
in reply to: #3607424

User image

Veteran
Georgia

I have done both (IMFL 07, 10, 11; Coz 09). Both are great and worth doing, but given the choice, I would go with Cozumel - no question. Here are a few considerations and comparisons:

Costs: If you have to fly to both venues, this is going to be about equal or potentially less in favor of Cozumel. Flights are generally pretty cheap to Cancun or direct to Cozumel. If you go to Cancun, you have a 45 minute cab ride to Playa del Carmen to catch a 45 minute ferry. Hotels, particularly with the all inclusive options, are very reasonable and on par with what you will find and spend in Panama City, which is generally a fairly reasonable place itself. The organizers arrange several host hotel options in Cozumel at good prices if you book far enough advance that provide transportation to transition, bike mechanics, etc. A cab in Cozumil will cost you $10 to about anywhere.

Venue: Cozumel is much better all around than PC. From a travel companion perspective, it is an easy sell - nicer hotels, beaches, water, food, etc. As a spectator, the course set-up offers a much better viewer perspective with the location of the swim start, the three loop bike course and the three loop out-back run course, which means they will see you more often and easier than in PC. In 2009, they offered a VIP pass that I bought for wife for about $50 that provided special seating areas and food and drinks throughout the day. If you have any intentions of continuing to do IMs with your wife accompanying you, the Cozumel experience will significantly make the next one easier to sell.

Weather: I think this about equal. Both venues are volatile at that time of year and changes in the wind or temperature can alter an easy day at either course to a very difficult day. In 2009 at Cozumel, the wind was blowing at about 20 mph consistently for the 2-3 days before the race, but died down completely on race day except for the ocean side of the bike course where there was a strong 15-20 mph crosswind. In PC, the weather was absolutely perfect in 2007, but pretty cold/chilly for most of the day in 2010. In either case, you can likely expect temps in the 80s with moderate to high humidity.

Time of Year: Both are in November, with IMFL the first weekend and Coz the last weekend, usually the weekend after Thanksgiving. Depending on your work situation, you may not have to take as much time off if you go to Coz and you can make a vacation out of it, though I would advise doing that after the race and not before. The problem may be with the weather during your peak training. For IMFL, your last long bike and run will be in early October, for Coz it will be early November. I live in North Georgia and the difference in these few weeks, particularly for my long bike rides, was significant.

Registration: IMFL will sell out within a few hourse of opening. I believe 2011 sold out within an hour or two; 2010 may have been longer. Coz will not sell out for months, maybe even into the summer.

IMFL is a good race. I like Panama City, or at least I like the areas around Panama City, and enjoy this race enough to keep signing up for it. I am within driving distance and have a young son, so the cost issue leans towards FL over Coz. However, all things being equal, I would definitely go with Coz and I would take that over any other North American venue. If I do another one after this year, I will go back to Cozumel. Good luck with your decision.

2011-07-25 9:56 AM
in reply to: #3606418

User image

Extreme Veteran
PaaMul QRoo, MX
gerrydiego - 2011-07-20 1:13 PM

I have heard both are great although I have only done Cozumel. Kathy has some good points although I don't think you can hardly consider Cozumel a foreign country. I live down here in Playa del Carmen and am Mexican, but just saying everyone speaks english here and the whole Island is built around tourism, so you will have zero issues in terms of being a foreigner. I can tell you that the crowd support is great. As mentioned before the whole Island hits the streets for the Ironman. There are bands, people dancing on the street, etc... 

Coz may not be wetsuit legal, but I doubt that you will find a nicer Ironman swim. It is spectacular. Last couple of years it has been flat as a pool and the visibility and sea life are amazing. You feel like you are on a snorkeling tour. 

Any way, I am sure you will have a great experience in either one!! Good luck! 

When do you ride?  I can't believe I found someone training only 6km away!  I'm just to the north of you in PaaMul.  My husband and I had switched to riding in the late afternoon (to watch le Tour coverage) but let me know if you're up for any training rides.  We do a 38km out and back (down to Akumal), a 58 (to Xel-ha and back) and a 90km (to Tulum).  Where are you doing your long runs?  Have you noticed all the training events being put on by GoCycle (Cancun)?  Good to see another QR triathlete!

2011-07-25 6:46 PM

User image

Expert
The Woodlands, TX
Cozumel all the way!!
2011-11-29 12:28 AM
in reply to: #3614359

Just did Cozumel. The organization is a bit erratic, but the crowd enthusiasm is the best I've seen, better than Wisconsin. Swim is definitely an experience. The wind was a meat grinder this year on the eastern side and the run got hit by storms from El Norte (the north wind), but still a great experience. 

Haven't done florida, but I haven't heard much good about it besides the flatness. All the native floridians think you're strange. The Cozumel inhabitants are genuinely impressed and respect the event. 

Do Cozumel. Stay at the Hotel B. Their food is fantastic as well. Eat at Paprika's. 

2011-11-29 11:23 AM
in reply to: #3607175

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
runnergirl - 2011-07-20 7:29 PM

Also- we stayed at an all inclusive for Couzmel but the food was awful.  If we ever went back again we'd probably rent a condo on www.vrbo.com  They have some nice beach front condos for really good rates.  Cozumel has a huge grocery store near the race venue called "Mega" that is like a Super Wal-Mart.  You can buy anything there and could save a lot of money by cooking in.  When you checkout the register converts the price into American dollars from pesos, so it's really easy for paying and knowing how much it costs. 

We stayed at the Cozumel Palace and the food was good.

2011-11-29 6:46 PM
in reply to: #3918427

User image

Extreme Veteran
PaaMul QRoo, MX
cowardlydragon - 2011-11-29 12:28 AM

Just did Cozumel. The organization is a bit erratic, but the crowd enthusiasm is the best I've seen, better than Wisconsin. Swim is definitely an experience. The wind was a meat grinder this year on the eastern side and the run got hit by storms from El Norte (the north wind), but still a great experience. 

Haven't done florida, but I haven't heard much good about it besides the flatness. All the native floridians think you're strange. The Cozumel inhabitants are genuinely impressed and respect the event. 

Do Cozumel. Stay at the Hotel B. Their food is fantastic as well. Eat at Paprika's. 

I live here and I was BLOWN AWAY by the Cozumelenos.  On all 3 of my run laps I had 2 waiters and the cook RUN out of their restaurant and SCREAM at me, encouraging me. 

2011-11-30 8:03 AM
in reply to: #3919635

User image

Veteran
In T1 looking for my Schwinn Huffy

I just did IM COZ and can't imagine a better place to hold an IM.  My family had an absolute blast and the locals made you feel like you were winning the race the entire time.  They are dancing and cheering in the streets, and if you as much as smile or wave back, the crowd just ROARS!

Just one of many examples of local support: I was the only IMer staying at my hotel, so one of the employees offered to drive me to the start the next morning in the hotel truck...when he dropped me off, he asked for just one favor...he asked that I didn't try to tip him because it was an honor for him to help me get to the race...I will never forget that. 

Long way of saying: Cozumel, no question.

2011-11-30 8:08 AM

User image

Veteran
Windermere, FL
I just registered for IMFL 2012 via the Community Fund. After reading this, I wish I would have signed up for Coz and used the diffence in money to pay for airfare! Maybe 2013!
2011-12-11 9:16 PM

IM Florida s sold out for 2012 already. So f ou are thinking 2012 then u have Cozumel only. Good luck
2011-12-12 1:37 PM

My only concern about Cozumel is the swim.   I am not a strong swimmer, so I like my wetsuit!!  Do you swim with a current in Cozumel?  Are you allowed to wear one of those speed suits??

2011-12-12 2:26 PM
in reply to: #3935393

User image

Master
Cumming, Georgia

IM Cozumel all the way!

I did IM Cozumel in 2010 and loved it.  Travel to Cozumel doesn't cost as much as some people think. 

The salt water makes you more buoyant so you should be fine.  I think the currents can change a bit but part of it you are swimming with.  I don't recall seeing anyone in speedsuits but I'm sure there was.

2011-12-13 7:56 AM

User image

Veteran
Georgia

Tri Fit - 2011-12-12 2:37 PM My only concern about Cozumel is the swim.   I am not a strong swimmer, so I like my wetsuit!!  Do you swim with a current in Cozumel?  Are you allowed to wear one of those speed suits??

The Cozumel swim is rectangular with the  start/finish in the middle of one of the long outside lines, so it is technically 50/50 although the leg closest to the shoreline is somewhat more protected from the current. If the current is moving, you can have a very fast swim here. Yes, speed suits are allowed as long as they are WTC legal suits.

2011-12-13 3:43 PM

User image

Veteran
austin, Texas

Tri Fit - 2011-12-12 1:37 PM My only concern about Cozumel is the swim.   I am not a strong swimmer, so I like my wetsuit!!  Do you swim with a current in Cozumel?  Are you allowed to wear one of those speed suits??

You have plenty of time to get better..  I never was able to swim a mile before this summer.   I got much better, faster and could swim much farther after 8 sessions with a coach and actually spending more time in the water. 

That being said, the swim in COZ was the first time I had ever swam in salt water.  I felt very buoyant and didn't notice not having a wetsuit.  The water was very warm, clear and the salt helped me float.   I also found myself swimming after a school of fish at one point instead of following the feet of the guy in front of me - so you can do that if you want to as well. 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » IMFL or IM Cozumel? Rss Feed