Skagit Running Club
60F / 16C
Sunny
Total Time = 09m 30s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Ate a breakfast of oatmeal, one english muffin, and half a wedge of Laughing Cow cheese. Drank a nice big cup of Earl Grey tea. No coffee for me!

Arrived to the site with plenty of time to spare. Registered and picked up my number. Had the usual butterflies and questioned my own sanity.
Event warmup:

Stretching calves, quads, and gluts. Jumping in place. Light jog to loosen things up.
Run
  • 50m 48s
  • 5 miles
  • 10m 10s  min/mile
Comments:

I had a very even run. I ran with a big sloppy grin on my face the entire time. It just felt good to be alive. The only downside was that my stupid iPod crashed three times. I need something to stabalize the poor thing a little better. I finally just carried it the last mile and a half and it was happy as a clam. It usually is a little better than that.

Started out slow and didn't try to push myself at all. I just got into a nice rhythm and took time to enjoy the beauty around me and listen to my body.
What would you do differently?:

Take a stopwatch so I could improve my speed a little better. I usually run a 8.5 to 9 minute mile, but I was so concerned with going too fast I went a little too slow. I'm not disappointed with my time, though. Running on the treadmill and running outside are very different.
Post race
Warm down:

Grabbed water and stretched. Cheered on other runners as they came in. Walked around. I was not winded or overly tired when I finished. In fact, I felt like I could go a couple more miles. I definitely hit a "runner's high" today.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not knowing my pace.

Event comments:

I will definitely do this race again, but next time I'll come out and run the course a few times first. I was a little concerned with running on a trail so that probably impacted my time too. Race was very well organized and a lot of fun. People were HUGELY supportive of each other. Food was healthy and plentiful with a lot less "junk" than I've seen at other races (Great Harvest Bread was a contributer). The free tulips were a wonderful touch. Racers felt celebrated, regardless of their time.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2004-04-12 2:07 AM
Running
00:50:48 | 05 miles | 10m 10s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
I forgot my heart rate monitor so that was out. Darn! I had brought a stopwatch, but when I was setting it on the drive in the battery died. I would probably have had a slightly faster time if I'd known my pace. Because I knew it was (for me) a long run I took it very easy throughout.
Course: The course was awesome! It was about 1/3 blacktop and 2/3 very very nice, level trail. I'd definitely like to run at the Skagit Valley Airport again. There were hot air balloons in the distance, the mountains to the east, and light planes landing overhead. The day could not have been more perfect. Three water stations on the run at 1.75, 2.5 and 3.5 were very nice. The water was not too cold, which I like.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes