General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bent arm pulldown? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-05-02 6:22 AM

Parrish, FL
Subject: Bent arm pulldown?
Hey, all,

Just wanted to check because I've never heard anyone refer to a Lat pulldown as a bent arm pulldown before... but I can't imagine what other Back exercise the Couch to Sprint plan is referring to when it states: "Back Bent-Arm Pulldown."

So, is it a Lat Pulldown? Sit down, reach up to bar above your head, lean back just a tiny lil' bit, (most folks lean back WAY too much), and pull the bar down to the top of your chest, (again most folks do this wrong by pulling to the back of their neck which can cause rotater cuff injuries and is more for developing the rhomboids than the lats).

Am I translating this correctly? Bent-Arm Pulldown = Lat Pulldown?

Thanks.

Take care,
Lou

2006-05-02 6:26 AM
in reply to: #411972

User image

Expert
Dallas, TX
Subject: RE: Bent arm pulldown?
Stand up in front of the lat pulldown station, grasp the bar with about a 45 degree bend in your elbows, and bring your arm down as a static unit, rotating only at the shoulders, to your hips. Return to original position and repeat
2006-05-02 6:44 AM
in reply to: #411975

Parrish, FL
Ah, thanks.

In body building jargon that's known as a "Straight-Arm Pulldown" and very good at isolating the lats from the biceps and rear delts.... which if folks do the Lat Pulldown incorrectly and aren't focused on form... the biceps and rear delts tend to take the brunt of the work as opposed to the Lats themselves.

Interesting though... I wonder who is "right" as far as form is concerned. In the Body Building world as I mention you keep the arms straight... in the Triathlon world apparantly a slightly bent arm approach is advised.... hmmmm......

This is why a Straight-Arm Pulldown, or Bent-Arm Pulldown in Triathlon vernacular apparantly, is one of my "mainstays" on "Back Day."

That and Machine or Dumbbell Pullovers

Thanks much.

Take care,
Lou
2006-05-02 8:18 AM

User image

Elite
Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea

HERE are photos of Coach Mike Ricci doing bent arm pulldowns.  I always seem to have trouble with this one.  I feel like I'm just blasting my triceps and not getting the work out of the lats and rear delts.  Anyone else find this one challenging?

Tom 

2006-05-02 8:48 AM
in reply to: #411982

User image

Elite
Austin, TX
Gold member
I'm with you. To me, those are straight arm pulldowns.
2006-05-02 8:49 AM
in reply to: #412073

User image

Wife, Mother, Friend.
South

I did these for the first time yesterday and just sorta imagined I was either doing butterfly or freestyle.   I could really feel it in the lats. wow.   I think I'm gonna like my new program with weights.

edit: would be nicer if the shot was from the front so we could see the bend in the elbows. can't really see it here.   MIke???? 

Edited by Lucy 2006-05-02 8:51 AM

2006-05-02 8:52 AM

User image

Expert
Medina, MN
When I was swimming for real, we always did this exercise with bent arms.... or maybe I was just cheating.

Edited by MLJ 2006-05-02 8:53 AM
2006-05-02 9:27 AM
in reply to: #412110

Parrish, FL
Point well taken MLJ... the exercise may be more geared towards swimming specifically than body building per se.

Though I was just discussing this with one of my friends who is a Fitness Trainer with a Masters of Science Degree in Exercise and Sports Science with a specialty in Athletic Training... and his comment, for what it's worth, is that the bent arms and the distance they appear to be from the body, are recipes for shoulder injury as well as less focus on the lats. The further the arms are from the body the less stress is placed on the lats themselves and moved to the shoulders and triceps.

Disclaimer: The above does not mean that, done carefully, it's not a better exercise for develping your lats for swimming specific benefits, I'll go with the experts in Triahtlons here and assume that it does.

I simply figured I'd point out the thoughts of someone with a decent amount of body building specific knowledge, (me), and someone with the background and training of my friend.

Not trying to come in here and question or challenge the knowledge of folks, most especially a coach, who've forgotten more about Tri'ing than I'll ever learn... but I found the discrepancy odd and worth discussing.

Take care,
Lou
2006-05-02 10:01 AM

User image

Expert
Medina, MN
Well, if we ever meet in person, you'll quickly figure out that I know nothing about body building. For swimming strength, in addition to just general strength training, we'd really focus on:

1) Bent-arm pull downs like you mentioned, although with arms bent closer to 90 degrees, simulating a pull.
2) Lat pull downs
3) Just about anything that worked triceps
4) LOTS of abs and core work, and
5) Any other torturous thing my coach could dream up...

-Matt
2006-05-02 10:10 AM
in reply to: #412201

Parrish, FL
/chuckle

You'd think I knew nothing about body building either were you to look at me... that's because I spent my time doing the Gym/Exercise part of body building, i.e. weight lifting, and not enough time doing the NUTRITION part of body building... or the aerobic part either, LOL.

I am trying to transition my mind for a "body building" type mindset when evaluating the strength training part of plans and trying to adopt a more "Triathlon" mindset.

It's slow in coming... but I'll get there

Thanks.

Take care,
Lou
2006-05-02 11:13 AM

User image

Expert
Livermore, Ca
You can also use this exercise to work the serratus anterior.

2006-05-02 11:57 AM

User image

Master
Minnesota
all these posts sound good...
2006-05-02 2:19 PM
in reply to: #412073

Veteran
Stoughton, Wisconsin
Matchman - 2006-05-02 8:18 AM

HERE are photos of Coach Mike Ricci doing bent arm pulldowns.  I always seem to have trouble with this one.  I feel like I'm just blasting my triceps and not getting the work out of the lats and rear delts.  Anyone else find this one challenging?

Tom 

Drop weight! Most likely you have too much weight. I did these once and hated them, but a friend got me back into doing them. I simply dropped weight and wow I felt it in the lats.
2006-05-02 2:30 PM
in reply to: #412572

User image

Master
Cambridge, MA

Dropping weight is always good advice when working on a new form.

Especially when the rotator cuff and auxilliary shoulder muscles are involved on a large movement for the lats!

I'm glad you raised this topic though, Lou, because I'm just getting into the lifting plan details here and was wondering about the same move.  It's not your old, familiar lat pulldown, that's for sure. 

I do still wonder about how much bend to use in the elbows...both on the pulldown and in the water.  I strive for 45-degree bends in the pull arms while swimming, so should I do the same with the lifting?  I just want a stronger catch and more staiblity in the shoulders so as to avoid future injury. 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bent arm pulldown? Rss Feed