BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Ernesto's group (third season) - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 122

2011-12-18 9:11 AM

User image

Master
Dallas
Subject: Ernesto's group (third season) - CLOSED

When can you start mentoring: Immediately. This will be my third season doing it.

Name: Ernesto/ username: ernestov

Story: I am a very busy person, father of five, work for an oil company and had a short career as a triathlete although a very successful one.

I have been doing triathlons for three and a half years, I race about 10/15 times a year (6/7 triathlons and the rest running races). I have completed two Ironman (Arizona 2009 and inaugural IM Texas '11) in 12 hours 14 minutes and 11 hours 27 respectively. During 2012 I will race Boise 70.3, Branson 70.3 and Ironman Florida where I expect to beat 11 hours.

I was into running casually before I started and a friend of mine who used to be a professional triathlete back in the 90's said to me that I couldn't do a tri so that motivated me to prove him wrong. The funny thing is that he still never finished an IM.

Family status: I'm married to a beautiful woman, Schoolteacher (2nd grade) who understands the sport's demands and tolerates accordingly. I have kids from a former marriage and from this one too. I'm originally from Argentina. 

CURRENT TRAINING: I train an average seven hours a week, I'm very well rounded in all three sports, not the fastest but very, very consistent. I started getting podium finishes lately but not first place (yet).

THIS YEAR'S RACES: This year I did the inaugural Ironman Puerto Rico 70.3 and the inaugural Ironman Texas (full) raced in the heat and humidity of Houston in late May and had a sensational race.

WEIGHTLOSS: I lost 20 lbs in a month when I started doing this, now I need to pull the trick one more time, I gained some weight back, most of it muscle though. 

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOR: I collected a lot of information (I'm a bit of a geek) about triathlons. I have a very hollistic approach to this whole thing (training/rest/nutrition) and I can put all this very simple to anyone. I've already mentored other people this year and from what I've heard I've been very good, I respond to messages quickly and as accurate as possible. Between my mentees I had everything ranging from a first timer to a very seasoned athlete. Also, I understand the anxiety, nervousness and self doubt that you have at the beginning of this journey. I thought myself that I'd never finish a sprint and thirteen months later I was crossing the finish line of Ironman Arizona with an impecable race.
I'm super passionate about triathlons.

Edited by ernestov 2011-12-23 7:27 AM

2011-12-19 11:15 AM
in reply to: #3942748

User image

Expert
Guatemala
Subject: RE: Ernesto's group (third season) - OPEN

Ernesto, you have been a really great coach and buddy and it will be great to be able to count with your support and valuable insights again in 2012!

My name is Gabriel and I'm from Guatemala.  After living for over 13 years abroad (2 in Chicago getting my MBA and the rest in SF/Bay Area and Pasadena, CA; where I enjoyed great road and mt bike riding), I'm now back in Guatemala City. I'm also married to a lovely Guatemalan woman and the proud father of two beautiful girls!

2011 was a year of firsts for me including my first sprint triathlon in March, my first 1/2 IM triathlon in August and my first Marathon in October (the Chicago Marathon).  I've learned a lot from Ernesto's coaching and members of his group and look forward to learning even more and becoming a stronger, healthier triathlete.

My main goals for 2012 are to complete my first full Ironman distance triathlon, IM Texas on May 19th, in 12:30 or better! I will also shoot to complete a Marathon towards the end of the year, in under 4 hrs.  Additionally, I plan to compete in a number of sprint, Oly and 1/2 IM distance tris, along with other running races. 

I'm looking for good sound advice, particularly on improving the structure of my trainings, as well as sharing good stories, recommendations and support messages with other on this group.

Cheers,

Gabriel

2011-12-19 12:03 PM
in reply to: #3944063

User image

Maple Grove, MN
Like Gabriel, I was a member of Ernesto's group last year and am looking to rejoin.

My name is Chris. I'm a soon to be 49 year old college professor in Minnesota. I have 5 children and a lovely wife who is actively into running and cross country skiing.

I got off the couch in 2008, working up to running a 10k by July in a little under 50 minutes. Stopped running because of hip issues.

In 2009, I did strength training and dieting, losing 25 lbs (from 5'10" 186 lbs to about 160 lbs. Currently at 165.).

In spring 2010, I started running again. Hip pain came right back. Started running barefoot or in Vibram Five Fingers, no hip pain, and have not exercised in a pair of regular running shoes since. I have become the kind of annoying convert who will talk and talk about the advantages of barefoot or minimalist running when given the slightest opening. Did my first tri (a sprint) in August 2010 on a hybrid bike. In the fall of 2010, I bought a tri bike and ran a 10k in 45:05.

In spring 2011, I joined this group. Ernesto is a great mentor. Did a half marathon in 1:38:01 and my first (and only) olympic tri in 2:48. My run is much better than my swim or, especially, my bike. Working now on getting bike better on an indoor trainer. Spent most of summer training for Twin Cities Marathon (my first marathon). Was hoping for 3:30 to qualify for Boston. Ran 3:35:59. I did the same sprint tri in August as I did the previous year and lowered time from 1:27 to 1:22. PR'd on a 10k recently at 42:56. Joining this group has been good for my times. It took me too long to listen to Ernesto about "Maffetone training" but glad I finally did. I can now run much faster at a low heart rate than I ever could before. (Ernesto, my 10 mile run on Saturday averaged a 8:29 pace at 136 beats per minute.)

In 2012, I plan on doing 2 marathons (one spring, one fall), hoping to qualify for 2013 Boston in the spring one, a half ironman tri in July, the same sprint tri again in August, as well as various 5k's and 10k's. Goals are to complete the half iron and keep lowering times at each distance I've already done.

Full IM maybe in 2013.
2011-12-19 1:03 PM

Regular
Fishers, IN
Hi Ernesto and everyone, I'm John, almost 30, married with two kids who are 3 and 5. I began my adventure in early 2011, training sporatically. I complete a sprint duathlong (1 mi run, 12 mi bike, 5 km run) in about 1:38 with a mountain bike and limited training. I didn't do more events in 2011 because I never took the time to learn to swim.

Now, I've been with a coach at my YMCA for six weeks and working on swimming technique. I've been logging my training since Nov. on this site. I'm not able to run as i recover from an inflammed toe joint and minor bout of plantar fachiatis, but keeping up with swimming, biking, and weight lifting.

2012 Goals: I plan to race about 3-5 races in 2012, would like to build to an olympic race by September of 2012. Would also like to run half marathon at end of 2012. Regarding weight, i'm 6'0" and down to 205 from 220 with a goal of 185 before my first race in June. Once I pass the 200 mark, I'll allow myself to purchase a road bike.

Why would I be a good mentee: I've already been logging my training and following these message boards religiously for the last 2 months; so I would make great use of your time.

Why I would benefit from Ernesto: You have more kids than me, are at a higher fitness level, and have a limited time to train. I think this would help me to learn how to train more efficiently and thus be able to permanently develop good, smart training habits and one day allow me to apply as a mentor.
2011-12-19 1:29 PM

User image

Master
Dallas

Gabe and Chris, welcome back to the group and the new season, this will be an exciting year with all the new challenges.

John, welcome to the group, we proud ourselves on being committed athletes no matter how fast or slow we swim/bike/run. We have used the thread to share insights, stories and goals. Our common passion is triathlons and all levels of experience are welcome, I've helped people do from their first 5K to their first Ironman and I've learned myself in the process too.

Your goal of completing an Oly by September is more than doable, and you seem to be taking the right steps towards your goal. I looked at your training log and you seem to be focused, swimming with a Coach at the beginning is a smart decision because doing it without technique is in some ways wasting your time.

We (in this group) believe in smart vs. hard training, but this doesn't mean we don't do hard workouts. I acknowledge that this is a "hobby" and that we all have other commitments, a family life, jobs, etc. so maximizing the "return on investment" is paramount to become better athletes.

We'll talk some more about that, for now I just want to let you know that you are welcome to the group, keep your log updated and ask your questions. We will never hold back on knowledge here.

2011-12-19 1:33 PM
in reply to: #3944159

User image

Master
Dallas

chris2533 - 2011-12-19 12:03 PM Like Gabriel, I was a member of Ernesto's group last year and am looking to rejoin. My name is Chris. I'm a soon to be 49 year old college professor in Minnesota. I have 5 children and a lovely wife who is actively into running and cross country skiing. I got off the couch in 2008, working up to running a 10k by July in a little under 50 minutes. Stopped running because of hip issues. In 2009, I did strength training and dieting, losing 25 lbs (from 5'10" 186 lbs to about 160 lbs. Currently at 165.). In spring 2010, I started running again. Hip pain came right back. Started running barefoot or in Vibram Five Fingers, no hip pain, and have not exercised in a pair of regular running shoes since. I have become the kind of annoying convert who will talk and talk about the advantages of barefoot or minimalist running when given the slightest opening. Did my first tri (a sprint) in August 2010 on a hybrid bike. In the fall of 2010, I bought a tri bike and ran a 10k in 45:05. In spring 2011, I joined this group. Ernesto is a great mentor. Did a half marathon in 1:38:01 and my first (and only) olympic tri in 2:48. My run is much better than my swim or, especially, my bike. Working now on getting bike better on an indoor trainer. Spent most of summer training for Twin Cities Marathon (my first marathon). Was hoping for 3:30 to qualify for Boston. Ran 3:35:59. I did the same sprint tri in August as I did the previous year and lowered time from 1:27 to 1:22. PR'd on a 10k recently at 42:56. Joining this group has been good for my times. It took me too long to listen to Ernesto about "Maffetone training" but glad I finally did. I can now run much faster at a low heart rate than I ever could before. (Ernesto, my 10 mile run on Saturday averaged a 8:29 pace at 136 beats per minute.) In 2012, I plan on doing 2 marathons (one spring, one fall), hoping to qualify for 2013 Boston in the spring one, a half ironman tri in July, the same sprint tri again in August, as well as various 5k's and 10k's. Goals are to complete the half iron and keep lowering times at each distance I've already done. Full IM maybe in 2013.

Dang it Chris! 136BPM for a 10 miler at that pace? Someone is getting faster... I love how you pace your first two miles now, you're a smart runner.

Do you have a link to a similar run from a year ago? Post it and let's compare.

Edited by ernestov 2011-12-19 1:39 PM

2011-12-19 1:37 PM
in reply to: #3944063

User image

Master
Dallas
sirgab - 2011-12-19 11:15 AM

Ernesto, you have been a really great coach and buddy and it will be great to be able to count with your support and valuable insights again in 2012!

My name is Gabriel and I'm from Guatemala.  After living for over 13 years abroad (2 in Chicago getting my MBA and the rest in SF/Bay Area and Pasadena, CA; where I enjoyed great road and mt bike riding), I'm now back in Guatemala City. I'm also married to a lovely Guatemalan woman and the proud father of two beautiful girls!

2011 was a year of firsts for me including my first sprint triathlon in March, my first 1/2 IM triathlon in August and my first Marathon in October (the Chicago Marathon).  I've learned a lot from Ernesto's coaching and members of his group and look forward to learning even more and becoming a stronger, healthier triathlete.

My main goals for 2012 are to complete my first full Ironman distance triathlon, IM Texas on May 19th, in 12:30 or better! I will also shoot to complete a Marathon towards the end of the year, in under 4 hrs.  Additionally, I plan to compete in a number of sprint, Oly and 1/2 IM distance tris, along with other running races. 

I'm looking for good sound advice, particularly on improving the structure of my trainings, as well as sharing good stories, recommendations and support messages with other on this group.

Cheers,

Gabriel

Hey Gabe, the cadence sensor in your bike is working kinda sketchy, try putting it closer to the magnet (the one for the crank arm).
2011-12-19 1:56 PM

User image

Master
Crab Cake City

Hello everyone, my name is Matt/username: Dmbfan4life20 and I am 27 years old.

My story is that I live in the Baltimore area and am in my first real year of triathlons and training. I am a very busy person who works in the Law Enforcement field so I have a wierd work schedule but it is getting better. I completed my first sprint distance race in Sept/2010 and finished in in 2:05:00. After that first race, I got hooked on the sport and met up with a local tri club and have trained with th?em since Jan, 2011. Since my initial race, I have done 8 races in 2011 including my first 10k and first half marathon and have seen improvement in most aspects of the sport. I had played sports in high school but nothing in college.

Family Status- ?I have been dating my girlfriend for the past 3 years and she is very supportive of my triathlon aspirations and lifestyle change. She is actually the one who got me into the sport (on a dare, but its a long story for another time) and we often train together when we can. I have no kids and no pets.

Current Training- I try the best I can with my work schedule but I feel that my problem is consistency. I am the type of person who, If I have a plan, can easily stick to it because I know what I need to do everyday to reach my goal but if I dont have a specific training plan, I tend to get kinda lost with my workouts. Being that its the winter, I am trying to maintain by s/b/r as much as I can and also incorporate some strength training. I would like to purchase a trainer so I can get more saddle time in over the winter.

This years races- This year I did a handful of 5k's (set a 4:00min PR), a 10k, 3 sprint tri's and my first Half Marathon

2012 races/goals- Next year my goals are pretty simple. I will be doing 4 races (Half Marathon in May, Sprint Tri in June, first OLY distance tri in September and another Half Marathon in Oct). I would like to PR my HM in May, PR my sprint time but more importantly, improve my bike to roughly 17mph or more and cut down my 5k time, just finish my first OLY and then PR the run again in October.

Weightloss- When I started training last year, I weighed in at 262lbs. I am currently down to 230lbs and looking to get to a goal weight of 200-210lbs (hopefully by June).

What will make me a good Mentee- Like anything else, when you are new to something, it benefits you to listen to someone more experienced then you. I feel that I have the desire and passion for this sport and lifestyle to be a good mentee and follow directions. I am easy going and I like the idea of this mentor group and communicating with other people who are in similar situations as me and I think we will all benefit from each others support. I hope that I can be a part of this mentor group and that we can work together to attain our goals. If you want to know anything else, let me know.

2011-12-19 1:58 PM

User image

Master

Name: Mitch / Username: dangremond

Story: Like everyone else - I am busy.  Between a wife, three girls (ages 13, 9 & almost 2), a house, a job and a dog I feeling like I'm running on fumes a lot.  Endurance sports have become my outlet that is supposed to help me maintain my sanity.

I got into triathlons about 4 years ago after getting 20+ pounds overweight and realizing that there were triathlons that weren't ironman distance.  My first love before triathlons was cycling - and I absolutely hated running.  I have since become an avid runner and feed off of the runner's high.  My wife can tell when I haven't run for a few days.  I still haven't embraced the swim and that is one of my challenges.

With the little one at home the last two years have been tough from a training and racing perspective.  I ran two half marathons and a 10-k last year and paced a friend in the last of 3 loops of a 50 mile ultramarathon.  It wasn't until the last half of this year that I began listening to this mentor (Ernesto) and to my body.  My 1st half marathon this year was a disaster.  I was training incorrectly and dealing with injury after injury and an overtrained body that couldn't handle the volume I was trying to throw at it.  The last half of the year I began changing the way I train (mostly run perspective) and really living by the phrases "run a lot, mostly easy and sometimes hard" and "your easy is never easy enough and your hard is never hard enough".  That shift in philosophy allowed me to increase my volume, get back to where I was when I ran my first half marathon in 2008, have a new PR in my fall 10-K and have my highest running volume month ever in November with a tremendous consistency of working out.  Thank you Ernesto and Ernesto's group!

Family status: See above.  My wife doesn't quite get my passion and thinks I go overboard at times.  As long as my training doesn't impact the family too much she is fine.  That requires me to get creative at times and to work out mostly in the mornings.  I have a treadmill and bike trainer set up in the basement which is imperative due to living in Michigan.

CURRENT TRAINING: Currently I am following Jorge's Winter Cycling Plan and layering on a 6 day per week running plan (graduallly).  As my body adjusts to that level of training I plan to layer on swimming until I am at 2 to 3 days per week regularly.  Total volume at that point should be approx 8 hours.  Current volume is approx. 5.5 hours. 

THIS YEAR'S RACES: Martian Half Marathon (April 14), Grosse Ile Duathlon (Lat May - Maybe??), Dexter Ann Arbor Half Marathon (June 3), Big Fish Sprint Triathlon (June 17), Tri Holly (in between a Sprint and Oly Dist)(Aug 26), Run Woodstock (Pace friend in 50 or 100 mile race)(Sept 8), MI Olympic Dist Tri Championship (Sept 23), Brooksie Way Half Mary (Early Oct), Detroit Full Marathon (Mid to late Oct), Detroit Turkey Trot (Thanksgiving).  Full Plate for sure and open to change.

WEIGHTLOSS: In early 2007 I weighed in around 183 (5'9").  I am now around 160 and would like to get to 155. I need to learn to resist the temptation of foods that I know aren't good for me and increase my intake of fresh fruits and vegetables.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE: I've begun to listen and have admitted that I don't know everthing and a second set of eyes and another brain or two can't hurt in evaluating what I'm trying to do from a fitness perspective.  Ernesto and this group have become that for me and I am very thankful for that.  I hope to continue to listen and improve my training so that I can accomplish my goals.

2012 GOALS: (1) Achieve consistency in training for Swim, Bike and Run; (2) Swim 3 times per week; (3) get weekly run volume to 30 miles per week through 6 runs per week (3, 6, 3, 6, 3, & 9 mile runs); (3) Bike three times per week and improve to point where I am not dropped on weekly roadie group ride; (4) Redeem myself in the Dexter Ann Arbor Half Marathon through running a smart race; (5) Get back to Tri-ing with the Big Fish Sprint Tri; (6) Complete my first Oly distance Tri; (7) Give a long hard thought to completing my first full marathon, (8) PR the Detroit Turkey Trot with a time less than 46:30.

2011-12-19 1:59 PM

User image

Maple Grove, MN
Ernesto,

Here is a 12 mile loop at the same pace, 8:29, from April 23, 2011. Average heart rate 151. http://connect.garmin.com/activity/81065918

Here is an 11 mile loop at 8:52 from April 16, 2011. Average heart rate 146. http://connect.garmin.com/activity/79707078

To recap what Ernesto and I are referring to, on Saturday I ran 10 miles at 8:29 at an average heart rate of 136. http://connect.garmin.com/activity/134964791

What I think is funny is that the whole idea of Maffetone training is you should be running most of your miles at a low heart rate, 182-age (and maybe add 5 if you are very fit) and running as slow as necessary to achieve this. Then, eventually, you gain an ability to go fast at a lower heart rate. Before trying this, I just ran fast. So the title I put on the 11 mile run from last April was "11 mile long slow run." At the time, to me, running at 8:52 was very slow for training purposes. Most of the time I ran close to as fast as I could when I trained. Now most of my training runs are slow but my races are faster.
2011-12-19 2:33 PM

User image

Master
Boynton Beach, FL

Can I join you guys?

My name is Samy. I am a 43 yrs. old, originally from Venezuela, and now living in South Florida. I am married to a Jersey Girl (a beautiful, funny, classy one) and have two wonderful sons, a 3 yr old and a 1 yr old. I think just spending and afternoon with them should qualify as training.

This will be my first year doing tris. Have been training since late October, and plan to do my first Sprint in February 2012 (Club Med, Port St. Lucie, FL). For 2012, I am planning to do 6-8 races (all in South Florida), transitioning to Olympic distance sometimes during the second half of 2012, depending on how training goes. At the end of the year would like to start training for my first HM, in January 2013 (either Disney or Miami).

Been into sports and outdoor activities all my life (baseball, tennis, soccer, snow skiing, scuba diving), but never structured training. After reaching 208 lbs. a few months back (I am 6'3"), I decided enough was enough, and committed myself to do a triathlon in 2012. After a couple of months of 6/week at 5:30 am sessions (only time I can train with family/job requirements), I am down to 198 lbs., feeling great, and best of all, falling in love with triathlon training and culture. I can only imagine how that will improve after actually racing. In the mean time, hoping to stay within 190-195 lbs once I get there.

As a side note, I actually went to school (and actually was a housemate) of Gabriel, so it will be nice to share with you guys all the dirty laundry of his...and there is a lot!

Thanks,

Samy

2011-12-19 2:38 PM

User image

Master
Gold Coast Australia.

Hi Ernesto, I'd like to join your group again, I really enjoy the company here and your expert directions. 

Here is my short bio for the reference.

NAME: username: markz / first name: Mark

STORY: This is my 5th year of triathlon training, prior to that I was mainly running for fun. I don't do many races a year. so far I have completed a Sprint in Wisconsin, few Olys in Chicago, IM 70.3 in Racine and Full IM here in Australia (Port Macquarie). I also have several 1/2 Marys, 3 or 4 Marathons and many shorter running races under my belt.
I love being fit and at this point races provide only a minor motivation to workout. I don't care about being fast, but rather get the kick from being able to do the distance. Still, love the races, the excitement etc. 

I'm 'originally' from Poland, but since lived in Austria, USA (LA, Hawaii, Chicago) and now Australia (Gold Coast).

FAMILY STATUS: Married to a beautiful Colombian girl (I am still not speaking Spanish, just the bad words, body parts etc.), we have a beautiful 4 yo daughter.

CURRENT TRAINING: I don't follow any training plans, just make sure I can comfortably do the distance I plan to race. At the moment I am in Bogota, Colombia visiting my wife's family and can only run in the park 3 or 4 times a week. Will be back in Oz in February and will get in the saddle again.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: I plan to do the Gold Coast Marathon again and would like to make it a yearly event. Other than that - Brisbane to Gold Coast 100k bike race and some shorter running races.

2011 RACES:  Finished IM Australia... and realised it's all about the bike. And since the bike is my weakest link - I didn't do very good. Still, I am an Ironman for all bragging purposes.

WEIGHTLOSS: I'm one of the lucky ones who never have to worry about it. As long as I remember my weight has been 150 lbs, give or take a few. I have been a vegetarian almost all my life, maybe that has something to do with it, I don't know.

Edited by markz 2011-12-19 5:12 PM
2011-12-19 3:08 PM

User image

Master

I asked this question in the old thread so I will repost here and phrase a bit differently:

Everyone should be using BT to log their workouts.  I do.  What other software or online sites are teammates using to track their workouts.  I have been in the Polar camp so use Polar's online site (so others can see my HR/pace charts when desired) and Polar's computer software so I have an archived copy of my files.  Soon I will be leaving the Polar camp and joining the Garmin camp (Merry Christmas to me!) and will use Garmin Connect to share workouts with theteam here.  I am contemplating using Sport Tracks as my new computer software for training analysis due to the strong review by key internet fitness bloggers (DCRainmaker). 

Specifically, what are the group's impressions on Garmin Connect and does anyone use Sport Tracks (http://www.zonefivesoftware.com/sporttracks/)?

2011-12-19 3:10 PM
in reply to: #3944575

User image

Maple Grove, MN
Mitch,

All I use is Garmin Connect and this website. Sportstracks only works on Windows machines!
2011-12-19 3:21 PM

New user

Houston, TX

Hi Ernesto, I would like to join you group if possible.  I am new to the sport and need all the help I can get.  I am looking to compete in my first sprint in February and have an oly' picked out for April.  I hope to be able to do at least 2 or 3 more races in addition to the others I mentioned.

I have 3 children from ages 7 to 19 months and need all the advice I can get for training.  Like you my time is limited for training and I need to make the most of it.  Being apart of your group would be great.  Thanks.  

2011-12-19 3:22 PM
in reply to: #3944577

User image

Master

chris2533 - 2011-12-19 3:10 PM Mitch, All I use is Garmin Connect and this website. Sportstracks only works on Windows machines!

I forgot to include that in my question.  Thank you for reminding me.  I am not an Apple guy...use an Android phone and for quite a while ran LINUX on my home computer.

2011-12-19 4:27 PM

New user

Dallas - Fort Worth
????

Hello Ernesto, Can I please join your training group? 

NAME: username: flo mo / first name: Todd

STORY: I used to be really active in High School and College but not so much anymore.  In HS I was on the Swimming and Track teams.  I received a scholarship to run track during college, but did not really run.   (I pole vaulted).  My SR year I tore my Achilles and had to have surgery to repair it.  Rehab took 6 month just to get back to walking.  After college work and life got in the way of working out and I gained about 40 pounds in 6 years.  I started working out again and have lost about 10-15 pounds in the last 6 months.  I want to do a tri to get the competitive juices flowing again and also provides tractable results.  I live in North Texas, 30 years old. 

FAMILY STATUS: Married for 3 years together for 6.  We have a baby boy who is almost 11 months old.  Wife is supported of me getting back into shape.  I think she will train with me but probably just running.    

CURRENT TRAINING: Training currently is light and not contestant.  The idea of training for a tri will make me keep workouts a priority.    

THIS YEAR'S RACES: I am going to compete in a “My first tri” on April 15th.  I am also going to do a race in June and Aug. 

2011 RACES: No Races   

WEIGHTLOSS: Was at 225 about 6 months ago.  It was a wakeup call.  Ideal weight is 185, but will be happy with anything under 190.  I am currently around 210-215. 

2011-12-19 4:59 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Hi Ernesto, Can i also join your group.

A little bit about me:

Story: Iam 35 yrs old and have been running on and off for a long time. I have always done it to try and loose weight. I weigh about 94kg and 187cm tall. This year I thought I would try an different challenge as i was getting sick of just running and not loosing any weight.

Family status: I'm married with 4 children.

CURRENT TRAINING: I have been training on average 6 times a week. I swim two times in early in the morning and then ride or run after work 

THIS YEAR'S RACES: In 2012 I have 3 races that i want to do. The 1st is a sprint race early in January, the second is longer at the end of March and the last one is a 70.3 in Busselton. As i was unsure of my swimming at the time i have done this one as a team and my brother is doing the swim.

2011-12-19 5:11 PM
in reply to: #3944443

User image

Veteran
Colorado Springs

Name: Jennie /Jenputnam

Member of Ernesto's last mentoring forum

Story:    I never thought I'd see the day that I would run a 10k let alone do a triathlon.  It started with a book called "Running for Mortals" that my now husband gave me back in 2009.  He had been a runner and triathlete for years.  By 2010 a friend and I decided that we could in fact complete a triathlon so we did.  We ran 2 sprints and although my swimming felt like drowning and my bike was several cm to big, we crossed the finish line.  In the year 2011 I moved cross country and resumed training in California under the guidance of my husband and fellow members of Ernesto's last group.  With his help and other members of the forum I set PR's for the 5k, and 10k.  I completed a short Oly distance Tri and ran my first 1/2 marathon... (farthest I had ever ran)!!  I faced a few issues in 2011, that taught me a great deal about myself but also taught me about the great benefit of a support group.  I was a member of Ernesto's group last season and he is not only a great mentor but encourages sharing so that we are truly one unit, feeding and pushing one another to great places.

I also come with the unique perspective and struggles of being married to a triathlete and training for the same events.

We currently live in Colorado.  I lived at sea level my whole life so the past several months have been spent acclimating and getting adjusted to hills.  It has been long and slow but the support here has been great!

Family status: I am married to Scott Putnam (he should post soon).  We have 2 children ages 8 and 12.  They don't always like our time training but they are getting used to it.  Our 8 year old completed her first 5k in November with a time on 41:00...

CURRENT TRAINING: Back on a structured plan... On the 27th my husband and I pick up our 10k training plan.  We will continue to work in the other displines as well.  Due to the cold and often spontaneous weather from day to day we have our bikes set up in our "pain cave".  I will be running 4 days, swimming 2 and cycling 2-3 days.  

THIS YEAR'S RACES: "A" races will the Cooper River Bridge Run 10k in March (in SC), The Boulder 1/2IM in August and the Denver Rock and Roller 1/2 Marathon right after.  There is a Sprint and a Oly that will actually fit into our training perfectly that we will add.  Not to mention a few road races for time trials.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE: I listen and have taken advice that on the surface seemed questionable, worked.  I work hard and ask questions.  Even though my husband also has a ton of experience we have learned the advantages of talking to others.  I am motivated by my peers and love to her there successes!

2012 GOALS:  Steady improvement is an easy goal.  I not only want to complete my races but set personal records.  I want to work on my training as well as my nutrition.  Over all continued growth not only with my fitness but also in knowledge.  I am looking forward to watching and tracking my development though this year.  It will be my first actual year of committed training.

2011-12-19 6:54 PM

User image

Master
Dallas

Matt, Samy, steelfin, Todd and Matthew, welcome to the group. I will be answering to each one of you tomorrow since today is the first day of the thread and I like to give personalized and accurate responses.

Steelfin, expand on your bio a little bit, we like to know the people in our group, at least your real name (hehe).

One thing that I do ask from all the people in the thread is to keep an updated training log so I can base my responses on your current level of fitness, which is easy to figure out when you have updated workouts, preferrably with a lot of data. I encourage you to use a GPS device (such as a Garmin forerunner 305) or similar because it gives me (and you) very accurate information about the metrics of your training sessions. It will also help you see your improvement (or lack thereof) and get encouraged by it.

We all look at each other's workouts in the thread and discuss improvement areas, more of that to come.

Your current level of fitness or goals are nothing to be ashamed of, we've all started somewhere. This thread also prouds itself on having all level of athletes, with super runners like Chris or Scott Putnam, well rounded breakthroughs like Gabe, Mitch and Jackie, first timers like Barry with a great first season, super endurance beasts like Mark from Australia, people with big time/weather limitations like Jennie, etc...

2011-12-19 7:07 PM
in reply to: #3944443

Regular
Fishers, IN
Chris, is this comparable to the zone 2 type training? I try to utilize this on the stationary bike at my gym. I use the HR function on it and try to keep my HR around 140 while using the "speak in full sentences pace". Do you think this is to easy? I ask because some of your earlier HRs were closer to 152 and per your formula, I should train near 182-29= 153.

Thanks, John

2011-12-19 7:48 PM

User image

Veteran
Colorado Springs
Scott and I are adding a little fitness/strength training in.  We logged into the "hundred push up" web site and yesterday we did our initial test.  It placed up both on a level three so today we did our first set.  With 5 total sets we each completed 46 total by the end.  Not to bad.  Tomorrow I swim.  Scott and the kids are on winter break so I won't have to prepare breakfast for the masses and can get an early start.
2011-12-19 7:55 PM
in reply to: #3944883

New user

Houston, TX

Thanks Ernesto, my name is William.  A little more about me:  I started running a couple of years ago after several years of my wife encouraging me.  About a year later I "ran" a half marathon, (end of January,2011).  I had to run/walk the last 4 because of an ankle injury I never let heal properly.  After letting the ankle recover, I picked up running again but could not keep up the volume, so I started riding a friends old mountain bike, and at the same time started swimming while I was at the pool with the kids.  About halfway through last summer I figured why not put it all together and give it go at a sprint distance triathlon.  I set my sights on one in September.  Well then I figured  I needed to focus on swimming.  I was swimming at least 3x a week and strength training 2-3x.  After that the best I can figure it lead to an overuse injury of the shoulder.  I started swimming again about 5 or 6 weeks ago, but have tweaked by form and only swim 2x a week, the shoulder is doing ok. My training plan is balanced so I attempt to get in each discipline 2x a week.  I have recently borrowed a road bike and love riding that much more, since now it is so much easier on the street.  Right now I am using sportstracker on my iphone to keep a log of my workouts and hopefully one day will  expand its functionality to include a heart rate monitor.  Thanks for being a mentor and I look forward to being a member of the group. 

I am 37 and a newbie.

Races in 2012 I plan on (so far ) include a sprint in Corpus Christie (Feb 18th), Olympic-Kemah in April.

Edited by steelfin 2011-12-20 6:49 AM
2011-12-19 7:56 PM

User image

Master
Boynton Beach, FL

Ernesto:

I use the Gramin 305, but only log totals on BT. Is there a way for you to see my detailed logs? Copy or export from Garmin's training center? I know there is a function on the BT logs, but I think you need to be premium member to utilize it.

Samy

2011-12-19 10:13 PM
in reply to: #3944907

User image

Maple Grove, MN
harmonjh - 2011-12-19 7:07 PM

Chris, is this comparable to the zone 2 type training? I try to utilize this on the stationary bike at my gym. I use the HR function on it and try to keep my HR around 140 while using the "speak in full sentences pace". Do you think this is to easy? I ask because some of your earlier HRs were closer to 152 and per your formula, I should train near 182-29= 153.

Thanks, John

John,

It may be comparable to zone training. I don't know. I don't know anything about heart rate zones. (My wife knows all about them and gets frustrated with me because I refuse to learn about them.) The 182-age business is from Phil Maffetone's "The Big Book of Endurance Training and Racing." Ernesto is very big on the book and gently pushed it on all the members of this group last year. Very great advice (both what is in the book and Ernesto recommending it) and I was too slow to take it up.

I would recommend getting the book. I downloaded the kindle version. The 182-age business is not so straightforward. You add or subtract to it based on other stuff. But the basic idea that most people run their slow miles too fast and their fast miles too slow seems exactly right in my experience.

Chris
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Ernesto's group (third season) - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 122