BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Yanti & Lynn: Manatee Madness Mentor Group CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 69

2011-12-18 11:24 AM

User image

Melon Presser
Subject: Yanti & Lynn: Manatee Madness Mentor Group CLOSED

THIS MANATEE POD IS NOW CLOSED TO NEW MEMBERS.

If you're a former Manatee, you may still join.

Welcome to Yanti and Lynn's Manatees! We're all mentors and mentees, but manatees sounds more fun. We'd love to have you no matter how preliminary or advanced you are in multi/endurance sports. Check out our swim, cycle, and street cred below to see if this manateePod is right for you.

We're ready to LAUNCH THIS POD RIGHT AWAY!

YANTI (TriAya)

Growing up in Indonesia, I swam with the national and high school teams. In the U.S, I coached/competed in martial arts at the world level, but after an injury became sedentary and eventually morbidly obese. Fast forward … a student suckered me into doing a charity marathon—then I learned how to ride a bike and picked swimming back up! After 15 years in the States, I’m back in Indonesia on the paradise island of Bali, where I've started a triathlon club and coaching.

Family status: I'm 35, delightfully single, have a black Lab who's smarter than I am and trains the other dog and 3 cats to outsmart me, too. We call it the Funny Farm here.
Current training: Ramping up to peak training for Ironman. Serious illnesses in the last year have made me a big believer in yoga and nutrition for both lifestyle and training enhancement.
This year's races (2011): Managed to do the Bali International Triathlon (hit by a taxi, crashed on the bike, still finished!) and place 2nd at the Bali 10K Ocean Swim in between illnesses.
2012 Races planned
* Ironman Asia-Pacific Championships - Melbourne (March)
* Bali International Marathon (half or 10K, April)
* Kapas Marang International Swimathon 6.5K (April)
* Bali International Triathlon (June)
* Bali 10K Ocean Swim (July)
* Metaman Triathlon: iron-distance race in Indonesia (September)
* At some point in late 2012 I may attempt a local Channel swim (route will be 60-70K). Year after is more likely.
Weight loss: I'm down about 150 lbs from my peak weight.  

Vast experience, encouragement, and empathy is what I offer you. This is my 7th season as a mentor, and I've done dozens of endurance sports races all over the world. I also worked as a researcher, writer/editor, and trainer for a global fitness and sports company for several years, so I'm pretty keyed into sports physiology and endurance coaching. I do have the dubious distinction of being BT's top poster, but I also read all the forum threads (and BT news, articles, programs, lots of blogs, etc.).

LYNN (lmscozz)

I am an Ironman triathlete, and also did 1 iron-distance aquabike, 3 half-irons, 4 marathons, 6 half-marathons and a few gazillion other tris! I was always active, but having a family meant I sometimes neglected consistent exercise. 10 years ago when none of my clothes fit anymore, things had to change. It's been a whole lifestyle revamp; activity is one in many parts to my entire well-being. I did my first 5K 4 years ago only because I could walk some if I couldn't run all of it. That's how I approached my first 1/2 marathon as well (and didn't walk in either, btw!) I started tri’s in 2008 after a friend died of breast cancer. Realizing life was short, I did the BT beginner sprint program, the triathlon, survived, and was hooked!

Family status: I'm married, am 51 (but look 30--Yanti added this), have a teenage son, a giant sweet dog, a nutty dog and 3 cats.
Current training: I just finished a marathon, and am maintaining ~ 10 hrs/wk of triathlon training.
This year's races (2011):
* California International Marathon
* Raptor Ridge Half Marathon
* Heartbreak Ridge 13.1 Marathon
* Ironman Coeur d'Alene
* Rock 'n' Roll Half Marathon
* San Diego Century (100mi bike)
* Ironman 70.3 California
* Desert Triathlon - Olympic
* San Dieguito Half Marathon
* Carlsbad Half Marathon
2012 Races planned: So far Carlsbad Half Marathon (January), Ironman 70.3 California (March), another iron-distance race, and I'll be adding others.
Weight loss: That time none of my clothes fit, I joined a weight management program, dropped 30 pounds, kept it off!

I continue to be a group leader for my weight management program, have mentored here at BT for several years, and am in post-grad classes to be a trainer and lifestyle educator (including sports physiology and nutrition). Most of all, I'd like to pass on info and encouragement if you want to embrace the swim/bike/run lifestyle or any part of it. It's never too late to tri; it’s never too late to be who you might have been, either. I look forward to sharing your journey with you.

Edited by TriAya 2011-12-27 9:22 AM

2011-12-19 10:04 AM
in reply to: #3942879

User image

Master
Subject: RE: Yanti & Lynn: Manatee Madness Mentor Group is OPEN
Once a manatee, always a manatee  Glad y'all are back!!
2011-12-19 11:23 AM
in reply to: #3943901

User image

Melon Presser

crews - 2011-12-20 12:04 AM Once a manatee, always a manatee  Glad y'all are back!!

HAHAHA I was just about to inspire you! GMTA! You found us anyway. And yes ... once a manatee, always a manatee. Even though (horror of horrors) Lynn and I are grand-manatees by now. Maybe even great-grand-manatees.

Carla, please introduce yourself again (use the mentor-post format or anything else) so all the other wonderful new or returning manatees may get to know you.

It's really good to see you.

2011-12-19 5:22 PM

Veteran
Hoosier heartland
Count me in on another round of Manatee Madness!   I will post a bio a bit later. 
2011-12-19 8:20 PM

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico

Imma lurk here, but don't count me against any formal number. 

Stalker!!!

2011-12-20 2:34 AM
in reply to: #3945046

User image

Melon Presser
quincyf - 2011-12-20 10:20 AM

Imma lurk here, but don't count me against any formal number. 

Stalker!!!

Crazy Aunt Q!!! Yes, you MUST come by ... and don't think we won't be stalking YOUR thread, either. You went full-special Manatee ... you are SPAWNING.

2011-12-20 5:22 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glasgow, UK

Hi I sneaked in and found this in the staging area from your previous thread and wondered if I could join in, I've lurked on your team before and always wanted to join in the fun so hope by getting in early I can get to be part of the team, will you have me? If it's a yes I'll post a proper intro but in summary:

39 - turning 40 in June, been on here for about 5 years now, started off doing novice then sprint and this year will be working my way up to Olympic, v slow running and weight loss is a perpetual issue. Recently joined a local club but still feel v niaive in lots of areas, so plenty of Q's but also have some answers and lots of support for others. 

2011-12-20 9:26 AM
in reply to: #3945361

User image

Melon Presser
Kate_r - 2011-12-20 7:22 PM

Hi I sneaked in and found this in the staging area from your previous thread and wondered if I could join in, I've lurked on your team before and always wanted to join in the fun so hope by getting in early I can get to be part of the team, will you have me? If it's a yes I'll post a proper intro but in summary:

39 - turning 40 in June, been on here for about 5 years now, started off doing novice then sprint and this year will be working my way up to Olympic, v slow running and weight loss is a perpetual issue. Recently joined a local club but still feel v niaive in lots of areas, so plenty of Q's but also have some answers and lots of support for others. 

INTERNATIONAL MANATEES!

Kate, you are more than welcome here! I'm so honored you lurked around.

I hear you about very slow running and weight loss being perpetual issues ... to be honest, they are with me, too.

Feel free to post a 'proper' intro or even an 'improper' one.

2011-12-20 12:45 PM

User image

Master

I'm 34 yo female, married for 9 years with 1 kiddo, 2 dogs and a cat.  We are absolutely loving life!  My husband and I both love to cycle and like to run.  Our amazing kidlet just learned how to ride a bike, so Santa is bringing him a Raleigh Rowdy.  There is just nothing better than a family bike ride.  DH's newest hobby is mtn biking.  I'm sure there's a tree out there somewhere that will knock some sense into him.  Until then, I got him a Road ID for Christmas.

On the tri front, I've done 3 sprints.  Loved every single one of them.  Trained and completed the Little Rock Marathon two years ago.  Trained for a century, but could only swing a metric year before last as well.  I was hoping to get in a couple of sprints this year, but life is super busy.  I did manage a few 50-75 mile bike rides, but nothing spectacular on the running front.

My newest goal is overall health.  My last set of blood work revealed that my triglycerides were at 300, my HDL was in the low teens and my sugars were a bit wacky.  All this puts me in the fast lane to heart disease.  My diet has completly changed in the last month, and that will continue to improve.  With my schedule the way it is, I'm having difficulty finding the time to train, so that is also a huge goal for 2012.    So, with 7.5 lbs lost so far and 37 left to go, I do believe I have my work cut out for me.

Looking forward to some manatee fin taps to help inspire me along the way

2011-12-21 6:51 AM
in reply to: #3946179

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

I'm interested in joining this group.  43 yo female, married with one dog (golden retriever).  My husband is a whitewater kayaker and mountain biker.  I'm a cyclist turned triathlete. 

2010 was my first year of triathlons.  Before that I had done two duathlons and a whole lotta bike riding.  In 2010 I ran the Disney half marathon in the sleet and then made my tri debut at an Oly that April, more cycling, Oly in August, sprint in September and the Beach2Battleship half iron distance in November.

If 2010 was the year of the half, 2011 was the year of the full.  I completed my first ever marathon in February, did the Gator Half tri in March and Beach2Battleship full iron distance in October.

2012 looks to be another fun year!

My strengths are the bike and endurance in general.  I'm OK on the run -- not fast but consistently mid pack.  As an adult onset swimmer, I have some speed challenges and I'm definitely a BOP swimmer, although I felt more like front of the back or back of the middle in B2B. 

2012 races planned

• 26.2 with Donna
  • Quintiles Wrightsville Beach Half Marathon
  • Raven Rock Ramble 100 mile bike
  • 3 Mountain Madness (bike)
  • Full Vineman

Edited by jmkizer 2011-12-21 6:54 AM
2011-12-21 11:07 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glasgow, UK

OK time for the proper intro 

Kate 

I've been doing Triathlon's since 2007 but slowly progressing into longer distances, usually split my races between runs, adventure races and Tri's. Last year was mostly spent doing sprint distances and this year will be graduating to Olympic distance. My swimming is getting better, cyclings OK but need to look at what happens in longer times on the bike as currently it hurts! My running is painfully slow but all of these have been helped by my recent weight loss Smile

Family status: I'm married but my hubby has no interest in tri's whatsoever, I'm turning 40 ths year (June) so determined to look my best at that time. We have a mad cat called Tirpitz.

Current trainingI do about 8 hours a week mainly running and cycling/spin with a couple of swim sessions thrown in. I really need to start doing more core, strength and stretching.

This year's races (2011):

Deerstalker (5k adventure race)

Edinburgh Uni, Bishopbriggs, Stirling, Trentham, Tighnabruich, Ayr - Sprint

First Monster - Duathlon Relay

2012 Races planned

Deerstalker

Bishopbriggs, Stirling, Trentham, Tighnabruich, Ayr - Sprint

One standard distance and the First Monster again!

Weight loss: Over the past year I've lost about 65lbs between May and December and I want to loose another 10. Most important to me is to keep it off which is still going to be a battle. 

I'm looking for handy hints for training, ideas and motivation from a like minded team ideally!

I'll look forward to 'meeting' you all. 

2011-12-21 12:19 PM

User image

Master
Kate - congrats on your weightloss.  Super inspiring to me! 
2011-12-21 1:07 PM
in reply to: #3946179

User image

Melon Presser
crews - 2011-12-21 2:45 AM

I'm 34 yo female, married for 9 years with 1 kiddo, 2 dogs and a cat.  We are absolutely loving life!  My husband and I both love to cycle and like to run.  Our amazing kidlet just learned how to ride a bike, so Santa is bringing him a Raleigh Rowdy.  There is just nothing better than a family bike ride.  DH's newest hobby is mtn biking.  I'm sure there's a tree out there somewhere that will knock some sense into him.  Until then, I got him a Road ID for Christmas.

On the tri front, I've done 3 sprints.  Loved every single one of them.  Trained and completed the Little Rock Marathon two years ago.  Trained for a century, but could only swing a metric year before last as well.  I was hoping to get in a couple of sprints this year, but life is super busy.  I did manage a few 50-75 mile bike rides, but nothing spectacular on the running front.

My newest goal is overall health.  My last set of blood work revealed that my triglycerides were at 300, my HDL was in the low teens and my sugars were a bit wacky.  All this puts me in the fast lane to heart disease.  My diet has completly changed in the last month, and that will continue to improve.  With my schedule the way it is, I'm having difficulty finding the time to train, so that is also a huge goal for 2012.    So, with 7.5 lbs lost so far and 37 left to go, I do believe I have my work cut out for me.

Looking forward to some manatee fin taps to help inspire me along the way

Tap tap tap ... that's my flipper patting your back!

Getting started is the hardest thing ... and you are well on your way ... I'd say you deserve a few back-pats and Merry {MELON PRESSES} for that.

2011-12-21 1:12 PM
in reply to: #3947358

User image

Melon Presser
jmkizer - 2011-12-21 8:51 PM

I'm interested in joining this group.  43 yo female, married with one dog (golden retriever).  My husband is a whitewater kayaker and mountain biker.  I'm a cyclist turned triathlete. 

2010 was my first year of triathlons.  Before that I had done two duathlons and a whole lotta bike riding.  In 2010 I ran the Disney half marathon in the sleet and then made my tri debut at an Oly that April, more cycling, Oly in August, sprint in September and the Beach2Battleship half iron distance in November.

If 2010 was the year of the half, 2011 was the year of the full.  I completed my first ever marathon in February, did the Gator Half tri in March and Beach2Battleship full iron distance in October.

2012 looks to be another fun year!

My strengths are the bike and endurance in general.  I'm OK on the run -- not fast but consistently mid pack.  As an adult onset swimmer, I have some speed challenges and I'm definitely a BOP swimmer, although I felt more like front of the back or back of the middle in B2B. 

2012 races planned

• 26.2 with Donna
  • Quintiles Wrightsville Beach Half Marathon
  • Raven Rock Ramble 100 mile bike
  • 3 Mountain Madness (bike)
  • Full Vineman

Janyne ... really honored you'd join us. Especially since you know what I'm "actually" like ha ha ha ...

We mean it when we say we're all Manatees ... (mentorees) it's great to have your experience on board.

You've also inspired me to get my butt (fingers) moving on a swimming article I need to write, based on my experience of being coached by Sheila Taormina, who is only probably history's greatest athlete (being an Olympic swimming champion is only one of her incredible accomplishments).

2011-12-21 1:14 PM
in reply to: #3947911

User image

Melon Presser
Kate_r - 2011-12-22 1:07 AM

OK time for the proper intro 

Kate 

I've been doing Triathlon's since 2007 but slowly progressing into longer distances, usually split my races between runs, adventure races and Tri's. Last year was mostly spent doing sprint distances and this year will be graduating to Olympic distance. My swimming is getting better, cyclings OK but need to look at what happens in longer times on the bike as currently it hurts! My running is painfully slow but all of these have been helped by my recent weight loss Smile

Family status: I'm married but my hubby has no interest in tri's whatsoever, I'm turning 40 ths year (June) so determined to look my best at that time. We have a mad cat called Tirpitz.

Current trainingI do about 8 hours a week mainly running and cycling/spin with a couple of swim sessions thrown in. I really need to start doing more core, strength and stretching.

This year's races (2011):

Deerstalker (5k adventure race)

Edinburgh Uni, Bishopbriggs, Stirling, Trentham, Tighnabruich, Ayr - Sprint

First Monster - Duathlon Relay

2012 Races planned

Deerstalker

Bishopbriggs, Stirling, Trentham, Tighnabruich, Ayr - Sprint

One standard distance and the First Monster again!

Weight loss: Over the past year I've lost about 65lbs between May and December and I want to loose another 10. Most important to me is to keep it off which is still going to be a battle. 

I'm looking for handy hints for training, ideas and motivation from a like minded team ideally!

I'll look forward to 'meeting' you all. 

Awesome intro, Kate. Very many impressive things about you, one of which is the weight loss ... I know how difficult that is to do!

Question on the bike: have you had a proper bike fitting lately?

2011-12-21 2:01 PM
in reply to: #3948226

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

TriAya - 2011-12-21 2:12 PM ...moving on a swimming article I need to write, based on my experience of being coached by Sheila Taormina, who is only probably history's greatest athlete (being an Olympic swimming champion is only one of her incredible accomplishments).

I am looking forward to reading it!

I took adult swim lessons at the gym and then I had one-on-one lessons with someone who was recommended to me but his job situation (and availability) changed.  I was on my own for a while and then lessons with someone else -- weekly lesson until IM build and then a break.  Now we are having monthly check ins.  The lessons helped but I'm still the least fast swimmer in the pool (or at least it feels that way!).

Edited by jmkizer 2011-12-21 2:01 PM

2011-12-21 3:27 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glasgow, UK
Thanks for the congrats, Yes the weight loss was and is a hard fought effort, I suppose I should also have said I'm in sales so on the road a lot, which is both a blessing and a curse. No tempting cupboards but lots of work dinners and hotel food. I'm in control now just need to keep the effort up. I'm not yet at goal so still working hard to loose the last lbs.
2011-12-21 9:59 PM

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico

I just made this for myself *spins around and curtseys* Do you guys like it? Does it need more rainbows?

I just crack myself up sometimes.

2011-12-22 7:43 AM
in reply to: #3949095

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
What you need, is a tie-dye tri suit! 
2011-12-22 7:55 AM
in reply to: #3949095

User image

Melon Presser
quincyf - 2011-12-22 11:59 AM

I just made this for myself *spins around and curtseys* Do you guys like it? Does it need more rainbows?

I just crack myself up sometimes.

Am I the only one who sees a frog in an ice cube? Not that it isn't yummy and all, but I'm pretty sure you're yummier.

2011-12-22 11:59 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
I have a question about shipping my bike from NC to CA for Vineman.  I'm completely lost on this.  Anyone with bike shipping expertise...

2011-12-22 12:28 PM
in reply to: #3949955

User image

Melon Presser

jmkizer - 2011-12-23 1:59 AM I have a question about shipping my bike from NC to CA for Vineman.  I'm completely lost on this.  Anyone with bike shipping expertise...

What's your question, Janyne?

Are you wanting to ship your bike via post/courier, or drag it along with you on the airplane?

2011-12-22 12:53 PM
in reply to: #3950043

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
TriAya - 2011-12-22 1:28 PM

jmkizer - 2011-12-23 1:59 AM I have a question about shipping my bike from NC to CA for Vineman.  I'm completely lost on this.  Anyone with bike shipping expertise...

Are you wanting to ship your bike via post/courier, or drag it along with you on the airplane?

Both make me nervous!  None of the shipping places like TriBike Transport service it.  I was thinking of shipping the bike to the LBS.  That may be overkill.  I dunno.  Very confusing.  That is why I did a local IM for my first ;-)

2011-12-22 1:23 PM
in reply to: #3950110

User image

Melon Presser
jmkizer - 2011-12-23 2:53 AM
TriAya - 2011-12-22 1:28 PM

Both make me nervous!  None of the shipping places like TriBike Transport service it.  I was thinking of shipping the bike to the LBS.  That may be overkill.  I dunno.  Very confusing.  That is why I did a local IM for my first ;-)

Well, you can get an LBS to break it down and pack it for you to post (about $100 plus you provide packing materials), then posting costs about $140 (you'll be out of a bike for a week, though). Then the LBS there (which one are you thinking of?) will put it back together for you (make SURE you know your specs and measurements!!!) probably for around $100.

It's much easier to break down a bike to put in a bike box than to post it, though. Of course, you probably need a bike box, and depending on what airline you're flying, checking it in can cost $50 to $300 each way.

But those are your options. They're both good. Expensive either way, but good.

2011-12-22 1:39 PM
in reply to: #3950170

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Yeah, I budgeted for three plane tickets -- one for me, one for Kevin and one for the bike...

I can borrow a bike box but we will be in CA for a week after the race.  Don't necessarily want to drag the bike around the state so thinking of shipping. 

Norcal bike shop is the official one for the race and I have not heard any complaints from folks who have used them.  I figure that in this case, no news is good news!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Yanti & Lynn: Manatee Madness Mentor Group CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 69