BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Kim's Krew of Newbs CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 7

2011-12-20 12:24 PM

User image

Elite
Subject: Kim's Krew of Newbs CLOSED

I would like to start on Sunday, Jan. 1.

Ingleshteechur/KimI am 41 years old. I have been an avid runner for 15 years and have several half and full marathons under my belt. Three years ago I got the wild hair to give triathlon a try.

In August 2010 I completed my first tri, a sprint. In June 2011 I completed my 2nd tri, a HIM. Currently I'm training for an April marathon. This spring I'll also start training for a summer Olympic tri and whatever other tri might strike my fancy.

I have been married for 17 years to a wonderful non-tri guy who supports all my craziness. We have two wonderful daughters, Olivia who is seven and Sydney who is 12. Both our daughters are active and view exercise and sports as a way to lead a healthy life.

My current training is an 18 week marathon training schedule. I also try to get on my trainer twice a week. At this time I have no swim training going on as I have no access to a pool. In the spring I will begin making a weekly 30 mile round trip trek to an open water natural warm spring to start swimming again. This is where I did all my HIM swim training.

The most recent race I've done is a Super Spartan. I've also put on a Turkey Trot 5K and just this past Saturday a Jingle Jog 5K. These were community events and many of my 7th & 8th graders participated.My big race in 2012 is the Salt Lake City Marathon. There is an indoor half marathon In February that I may do. I am also looking for an Olympic tri early summer. I would love to do another Super Spartan as well plus a few more tris.As for weight loss I am always striving to get rid of those last 10 pounds. I am petite (5'0") but a curvy petite! Before the holiday madness started I was playing around with the Paleo diet and found it really suited me. I plan to go back to it once I get through all the holiday 'stuff'.I think I would be a good mentor for newbies...those people that are new to both triathlon but exercise in general.

I am usually the one that starts the daily training thread in tri talk. I am as consistent as they come (check my logs!) and think I could really inspire and encourage new triathletes. I love BT and have learned so much on these boards that I want to give back. I would never claim to have all the answers but I am sure I can find a way to answer training questions,etc. from the people I now know here on BT. I would have no problem committing to a group...I love this stuff!

Edited by ingleshteechur 2012-01-01 8:42 PM

2011-12-30 9:06 AM
in reply to: #3946139

Subject: RE: Kim's Krew of Newbs OPEN

Hi Kim...I would like to join.

I'm a 43 year old recently divorced mom of two teens who is looking to start a new chapter.  I started training for mini's when I was in the Navy and ended up beaking a finger playing volleyball and had a full arm cast.  So...I haven't been very active the last 15 years but need some place to start.  I have access to a pool and spinning classes at my gym and will be buying a bike soon.  I have started the couch to 5k program (In week one).

In the last year I have gone from 220lbs down to 175lbs but have a goal weight of 150lbs. Some of this was done with exercise (video tapes and elipitcal) but most was stress.  I should also mention that I have rheumatoid arthritis in my hands and feet which hasn't been a problem thus far. 

I would like to find a mini for the May timeframe, which gives myself plenty of time to get ready. 

Sherry

2011-12-30 10:14 AM

User image

Elite
Welcome Sherry!  What an exciting time for you!  Let's get you to those goals!  Laughing  
2011-12-30 11:08 AM

User image

New user

Vancouver

Hi Kim,

My name is Sara and I would love to join your group.

I am a 24 year old nurse who struggles to fit in regular workouts with the shift work involved in nursing. I did a sprint triathlon about 2 years ago and totally loved it. However, I stopped training, gained a bunch of weight, and focused on the sport of boxing. I am looking to get back into triathlons as I found boxing too taxing on the body (always injured) which made it hard to stay consistent. I am 5’4” and 175 lbs. I would like to reach a healthy weight of 140 lbs.

What attracted me to your group is when you mentioned how consistent you were and that running is your forte. Consistency has been my biggest issue thus far and I don’t particularly enjoy running. I get extremely motivated, go hard for 2-3 weeks and then completely fall off the band wagon for several weeks, gain a few more pounds and start the process all over again. I am really looking to break this vicious cycle and get healthy once and for all.

On Monday Jan 2nd I will be starting the couch to 5K run program (28 weeks) and the beginner cycling program. I aspire to fit in some swimming and weight training on the lighter days.

I look forward to being a part of the group!

-Sara

2011-12-30 11:20 AM

User image

Veteran
Stockton-on-Tees

Could I join your group? I've been doing tri's for about 2 years. I love doing them -just sprint distance but I don't do enough, consistently (that word again), to ever be more than 3rd from last.  I really need a kick up the backside and motivation - which is what I'm really looking for but i can't afford a coach to do that for me.

I would like to  compete in olympic distance next year and fully intend to get down to London in the summer to watch the olympic triathlon cause us brits are going to clean up both men and womens races. My long term goal is to do an ironman in about 4 years time - just so I can say I've done one. Which I always swore I would never do when I first started learning about this sport. However, for that I will have to do a lot more distance and get faster. I would hate to do all that work and not finish in 17 hours. Still lots more to do first.

#Oh, and I'm 46 years old. A mother of one son (age 13) and  am living with my partner who is not very sporty. He is supportive in that he likes to come and support me in races, but not supportive enough  to help with housework so I can go out running without it all to come back to..but that might be an excuse. I'm good at them.

I hope to be a member of the group.

Jennifer

2011-12-30 3:41 PM

User image

Elite
Welcome Sherry!  You are in the right group!  Sounds like you and Sara have similar goals and both will be doing the Couch to 5K program.  Welcome to the Krew!

Edited by ingleshteechur 2011-12-31 10:23 AM

2011-12-30 3:43 PM

User image

Elite
Welcome Jennifer!  Would love to have you in the Krew!  I have flirted with the thought of a full Ironman...but don't tell my husband--I swore I would never do something 'that' crazy.  Ha!  Welcome to the Krew!
2011-12-31 8:41 AM

Kim - I would love to be part of your team, if you'll have me.  I had tentatively signed for another group, but feel more at home here, if you know what I mean.  I'm new to tri and getting back into excercise, and have never been a good runner...  training is a new thing to me completely, so I need all the help I can get.  Here's a bit about me:

NAME: thebonmama (Bonnie)

STORY: I just had my second child in October and was interested in getting back into shape, so I decided to start doing a 5k a month...while researching 5k options online, I came across a Sprint Tri, and it seemed do-able, with some work.  Read about it, bought Slow Fat Triathlete, read some more, fell in love with the idea, joined a pool, and next thing you know, I'm signed up for one and training!  I swam competitively in high school (which was a long, long time ago), and used to love to bike, and have NEVER liked running.  So why a 5k a month, you ask?  I dunno... maybe I enjoy torture?  Actually, I like the accountability of having an event every month to prepare for (I promise to get better at that), and having all those people around and the energy and excitement of a race makes me push myself more that just trotting out there myself to run.  Then I will get competitive about beating my previous times, which will in turn promote more training.  That's the theory, anyway.

FAMILY STATUS: Married for 8 years, with a 3 year old daughter and 3 month old son.  Got a jogging stroller and my son just participated in his first 5k with me earlier this month!

CURRENT TRAINING: Running 2-3 times per week (got a little overzealous last week and am resting my knees ahead of this weekend's 5k), swimming 2x a week, and trying to get my 10 year old mountain bike roadworthy.

2011 RACES: Ran a 5k in December and pushed my son in the stroller and came in just at 45 minutes.  Slow, unsteady and extremely winded.  Sad, but a start!

2012: I have at least 1 5k a month planned - the next on Jan. 1, this time with some training under my belt.  My first sprint Tri is in Gainesville, GA in June -already signed up!!  I am going to do at least 1 indoor tri in March, just to get the feel for the deal, and because it seems interesting.  Will see how I do at the first Tri, and may sign up for 1 or 2 more before year end.  Planning on running the famous Peachtree 10k on July 4.  Last time I ran that was 11 years ago.

WEIGHTLOSS: I am struggling against my highest weight in years, following my second pregnancy, and am sick and (excuse me) damn tired of carrying around this extra weight.  My body is pretty happy in the 150-155 range, but my mouth would prefer I stay around this 185 range, so I have about 35lbs to ditch.  Part of this is about losing weight, part of it is about setting a better lifestyle example for my kids, and part of it is about getting out of  the house and having some time to myself.

I hope to find a mentor and group to help keep me excited, energized and motivated when work and life and my desire for sleep get in the way of my goals. 

Bon

2011-12-31 10:26 AM

User image

Elite

Welcome Bonnie!  I would love to have you in the group!  Welcome to the Krew!  And by the way, good luck in your race tomorrow!

2011-12-31 10:32 AM

User image

Elite

Ok Krew...we will really get things rolling tomorrow morning!  I hope the thought of a new year is both inspiring and exciting for you--it is for me!

One question for all--are you currently logging your workouts?  If you are on your own, that's great--I would love it if you might consider using the BT logs.  If you aren't logging workouts at all--tomorrow would be a great day to start your log on BT.  This way we can peek in on each other's logs, leave each other inspires and keep all accountable.  Feel free to go into my logs and check out what I've been doing this month.

Have a fantastic day and get ready to put your goals to work tomorrow!

2011-12-31 1:33 PM

thanks for the warm welcome, Kim! So excited to be on the team!

I'm ready to get the new year started right with the 5k tomorrow!  I've been using the logs on BT, and think they're great.  I am hoping to get a Garmin soon to help me track even more accurately (I'm a geek that way).

Happy New Year's everyone! Here's to a great 2012!

2011-12-31 1:45 PM
in reply to: #3963803

User image

Elite
thebonmama - 2011-12-31 1:33 PM

thanks for the warm welcome, Kim! So excited to be on the team!

I'm ready to get the new year started right with the 5k tomorrow!  I've been using the logs on BT, and think they're great.  I am hoping to get a Garmin soon to help me track even more accurately (I'm a geek that way).

Happy New Year's everyone! Here's to a great 2012!

Geeks unite...I am lost without my Garmin...love love love it!

2011-12-31 5:52 PM

User image

Hi Kim -

I'd like to join your group as well - but I have to delay my start a tiny bit....

My story is like this: I am a 32 year old nurse, living in Israel (but American originally). Married to Bryan - a tri-guy with one more season under his belt than me. In 2010 I cheered him on during his first sprint tri. I was overweight (about 155 lbs on a 5'2" frame) - hadn't done consistent physical activity in years, despite being a swimmer in HS and a varsity fencer in college. Post-college ran a few 5K's until I tore my ACL then gave it all up. As I watched my hubs in his frist tri, I saw the green-eyed monster. Decided I would give it a go myself, but since were trying for #3 (I have a 5 year old son and 3 year old daughter) figured I'd wait. I waited and waited and still wasn't pregnant so I decided "what the hell" and in April 2011 started training for an open water swim in the Sea of Galillee here in Israel. A month later did a 3.5 km OWS. Next day went out and bought a road bike - hadn't been on a bike since I was 16. Took the second-hand bike out for a short spin, and found out I was pregnant the same day.

Decided to continue with my goal of a Fall 2011 tri for as long as I could. And though I was slow - not DFL, but pretty close, I managed to complete my first ever sprint tri while 6 months pregnant.

Since then, I have done very little. I kept up with swimming and a bit of running, by about 7 months my hips were too painful for running and eventually even swimming. I'm now just about to start my 9th month and I can barely walk, so I know I can't do anything.

But I'd like to have a group to motivate to get off my butt and get back into the swing of things as soon as this baby is out of me and I can walk! Running is my weakness - and I see that you're a runner Kim so I am hoping to get some motivation there.

Thanks!

Noa

2011-12-31 8:52 PM

User image

Sarnia

Hi there,

I'm Joanne.  51 years old.  Running on/off for 15+ years.  Same with the cycling.  I'm here because I want to tackle a sprint tri.  The swimming absolutely terrifies me.  I've just picked it up this past week.  I grew up around water and am not afraid of the water itself, just the crazies splashing and kicking me in the face, ha ha.  I want to do a tri just because I know I can.  I'm in better shape now than when I was 25 years ago.

This should be fun!

Laughing

2012-01-01 9:03 AM

User image

Elite
Welcome Noa!  With baby #3 on the way and two little ones at home you will have no choice but to get moving!  Wow!  You will be busy for sure...even more reason to be able to carve out some 'Noa' time. I hope we can help you do that!
2012-01-01 9:05 AM

User image

Elite
Hi Joanne...welcome to the Krew!  I would love to help you get to that sprint tri!  I understand your panic about the swim, but that is not going to stop you from getting to the starting line! 

2012-01-01 9:36 AM

User image

Elite

Ok Ladies (and any gents that might join!)...here is your first assignment!  In order for me to be a good mentor, I would like to understand your day to day life.  I have a few questions that I would love for you to answer.  I will answer them as well so you can understand my world.

1.  When do you work out? (if it's inconsistent at this time, tell me that as well)

2.  Where do you work out?

3.  Tell me about your support system.  We have some moms with small kids...how do/will you juggle your time VS mom time?

For me:

1.  Once school starts back up (Tuesday) and I'm back to my normal routine, I get up at 4am and am training by 4:15am.  Yes, it's early but when my girls were small (they are 7 and 12 now) I realized early mornings were the only time I could get in some time for myself.  During my Half Ironman training last year, some mornings I was up by 3:30am so I could fit in all the training.  I do go to bed pretty early--usually around 8:30pm.  One added 'bonus'--I have narcolepsy so as soon as my head hits the pillow, I am out for the count. 

2.  I am fortunuate enough to have a great workout room in our basement in which I have my bike on a trainer and a treadmill.  I live in a very small town with no gym so over the years I have built up my own gym.  I love my workout room--it is my sanctuary.  I also run/ride outside when the weather is decent and on the weekends. Spring through fall I am outside as much as possible.   I literally have miles of desert trails to choose from to ride and run on.

3.  My support system first and foremost is my family.  My husband has always supported my craziness.  Before we had kids he would ride his bike alongside me when I was training for marathons--poor guy had to put up with a lot of my long run crabbiness ('ride ahead of me...the tire sound is bugging me!'   'ride behind me, your breathing is distracting me!').  After our first daughter, Sydney, came along, he would always step up and give me my time to get some training in, and has done so ever since.  Even though the girls are older now, I am very conscious about not letting my training get in the way of their activities--hence the early morning workouts. 

Another key support for me is one of my cross country runners (along with teaching 7th/8th grade English I am the high school cross country coach).  I live in the northern Nevada desert and when I head out for my long runs, I literally am running into the middle of nowhere.  My hubby suggested I ask one of my runners to go with me for saftely precautions and Josey stepped up to the plate.  He is probably the only person who could go with me now, especially since I'm getting up to 13+ mile runs on Sundays.  He's also recently agreed to do my Thursday morning longish runs with me at 4:15am--I just can't do more than an hour on the treadmill so I want to run them outside.  He's a great kid, and has become a part of our family.

So, please tell me a little about your training and support system!  Happy first day of 2012, by the way!  I am heading out for a 13 mile run to kick off the new year!

2012-01-01 10:45 AM

Hi I would love to join the group. I am embarking on a new goal of doing a mini sprint in May. Watching my teenagers exercise and work have gotten in the way of my own exercise program and in the last year I have gained weight, which needs to stop. I would like to try something new- I have mostly biked when I 've been successful at exercising. Keeping biking in the mix is important to me. I need the support of others and hope that I can give some, too!

Caroline

2012-01-01 11:15 AM

User image

Veteran
Stockton-on-Tees

Hi Kim and everyone. Happy new year. Today I have managed to get out for a walk (see log), which is not very impressive but I did rather enjoy New years eve last night and I thought it was better than nothing - and everyone knows the New Year always starts on a Monday.

Thanks for the questions - its nice to  have something to think about.

I'm a nurse (like several other krew members!) and I work for the blood service in the uk taking donations from the public on a mobile team so most (but not all) of my working shifts are afternoon/evenings. I therefore plan the majority of my workouts for mornings. However, if I miss them I find it very difficult to motivate myself to do stuff in the evenings. Also - when I do do day shifts and plan evening training I tend to find any excuse or fatigue to not do it - and then feel bad about missing sessions.  I tend to see my son at the weekends -he's 13 now and doesn't need caring for as such but I like to spend time with him while I can, before he wants to spend lots more time with his mates.

I work out in an urban area. Running on pavements, swimming at the local pool when I can and cycling to local countryside. However, cycling is definitely my weakest discipline. I'm a bit scared of traffic so I don't do enough and therefore I find it very hard work. I have bought myself a turbo trainer just before christmas which is all set up in the garage - I just need to get on it for longer.

I have two major supports. One is my tri club, hartlepooltriathletes.com who I go swimming with every sunday evening (lovely - a pool to ourselves) and this winter we have paid for a coach to help with swimming and a strength and conditioning class weekly. The club also do group cycles on saturday mornings but they are all guys and way too fast for me. However, there is another lady at the club Erika, who is 70, beats me at everything and has been doing triathlons for years and is very supportive, encouraging and has been really helpful to me. 

I also do a timed 5k run every Saturday morning called parkrun. They have them all over the uk and probably in the us now too. The group of people who go range from the very fast to the walkers and everyone is nice, supportive and very willing to give advice and encouragement to anyone.

So, really, now I've read this back, the only person who stops me from training is me. doh!

Jennifer

2012-01-01 2:59 PM
in reply to: #3964734

User image

Elite
Welcome Caroline!  I would love to have you as part of the Krew!  Jump right in and feel free to enter the discussion with the questions I've posted!
2012-01-01 3:59 PM

User image

New user

Hi Kim, You sound like the perfect mentor. I signed up for a 1/2 Aquabike July 28th. I look forward to your posts and tips. Please add me. Dara

2012-01-01 4:04 PM

User image

Elite

Welcome Dara!!! I'm so glad to have you in the group!  If you scroll back a bit, you'll see I've posted three questions that will help me understand your training situation a little bit better!  I'm looking forward to your input!

2012-01-01 4:46 PM

User image

Regular
Annapolis

Room for one more?

My name is Kelly, and the generally completive bug bit me last year when one of my best friends made me sign up for the warrior dash, nearly as a joke (we ran it in matching lingere and capri pants, pretty hysterical). 2011 was the year that started my fitness addiction, but since my last race I've been slacking a bit, with the holiday's and all. I'm a mom of one wild 4 YO boy, and married for 6 years to a hubby who is super supportive of all the working out, and on occasion will throw my running shoes at me and say "JUST GO!!". Finding time is what I'm struggling with the most lately, but of course the holiday's were my major excuse. Also for 2011 I lost 20 pounds, of which I've put back on 4 over the holidays so I'm looking to get back into the lower 180's or upper 170's by the summer (of which I'm trying to embrace the Athena category). 

Details of 2011:
May-5k Warrior Dash
June-Local Annapolis Wine-O 5k
October - Waterman's Sprint Tri
November - Annapolis Half Marathon, Turkey Trot 5k

Plans for 2012:
April - Cherry Blossom Half**; March for Babies 5k, 
May - Tour de Cure 62 mile Bike
June - Zooma Half Marathon (Women only)
August - Iron Girl Sprint Tri
September - Nation's Tri Olympic Distance (this is my "A" Race)
October - Hershey Park Half**
November - Annapolis Half**
**Not currently registered, either it's not open or I'm going to have to try to swap a bib.**

My goals for 2012 not only include accomplishing my listed races but being better about logging my workouts and learning more about the science of working out, heart rate etc.

2012-01-01 4:59 PM

User image

New user

Vancouver

Hi everyone, HAPPY NEW YEAR!!

I am feeling a little rough this morning and very guilty about the liver damage caused from last night’s shenanigans. However, it is a the new year and I am stoked to get started!

1. As I mentioned before I am a nurse (Neurology ward) so I work the regular 2 days 2 nights with 4 - 7 days off at a time. The shifts are all 12 hours starting at 7:30 am/pm. During my work set I try and fit in a workout on my "swing day" (going from days to nights as the whole day before a night feels like a day off) but I have a very hard time working out on my days and after my nights as I am usually sleep deprived (only get about 5-6 hrs of sleep in a 48hr period). Therefore, most of my exercise revolves around my days off. I feel that the only way I can fit in a workout of my day shifts would be to wake up early as I am usually exhausted after my shift.

2. I work out outdoors, at the community rec centre (has gym and pool and it's a block away from my house), or at my boxing gym. I live in Vancouver, Canada so I get a lovely balance of urban and rural. I live right by the mountains so I have quick access to a lot of hiking trails. I also have a trainer for my road bike at home (I don't like it that much but if I can't get to the gym I will use that).

3. Well I def feel like a total lazy hearing about all you ladies with children and families to look after and yet you still find time for yourselves. I live with my partner and I only have a little Beagle named Kobe to look after So when I have time off it's all just for me and my partner. I feel that I am very well supported with everything in my life but there’s only so much others can "force" or "convince" you to get off the couch and go workout. I am hoping to find that inner push to do things myself (for longer than just 2-3 weeks).

Hope everyone has a great start to the new year! Once the Tylenol kicks in and my headache goes away I will be off for a lovely hike with the pooch. I am also signing up for the Spartan 5K and the Subaru sprint tri in July (and depending how things go I will also sign up for the Vancouver sprint tri in Sept).

-Sara

2012-01-01 5:51 PM

User image

New user

Ok, I forgot to answer your questions. 1. I used to workout in the mornings but lately I mostly workout in the evenings but want to get back to mornings. I'd love to do my training in the morning so I have time in the evening to do yoga and a bootcamp class (to get my weight training in). 2. I workout at a gym but also have access to a treadmill, elliptical, and bike trainer at home. When the weather is nice, I'm all about getting outside! 3. My support system includes my husband (who thinks I am going to win the 1/2 aquabike) and a lot of friends, including a friend who signed up for the 70.3 part of the race series. She has done a couple of tris so when the weather is nice we'll head outdoors and do the swimming and running portion of the training. I am so excited but nervous at the same time! Dara
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Kim's Krew of Newbs CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 7