Canadian Triathlon Forum British Columbia » Cyswog-Nelson Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
2012-03-10 10:56 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta
Subject: Cyswog-Nelson

Has anyone done this one? How was it? Difficulty? organized?

Thanks for the input.

2012-03-10 8:12 PM
in reply to: #4089863

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC
Subject: RE: Cyswog-Nelson

Hi.  I haven't been to Nelson in a lot of years and I'm not familiar with the race.  I went to "Races" at the top of the page and searched Cyswog and it came up with a description of a Sprint race (500m Swim/ 20K bike and 5K Run).

They have a website - you probably know it: www.trinelson.com  It looks nice, beautiful scenery.  Nelson usually does things pretty nice.

Good Luck

2012-03-11 11:23 AM
in reply to: #4090335

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta
wenceslasz - 2012-03-10 7:12 PM

Hi.  I haven't been to Nelson in a lot of years and I'm not familiar with the race.  I went to "Races" at the top of the page and searched Cyswog and it came up with a description of a Sprint race (500m Swim/ 20K bike and 5K Run).

They have a website - you probably know it: www.trinelson.com  It looks nice, beautiful scenery.  Nelson usually does things pretty nice.

Good Luck

Yeah, i have been to the website, but was hoping for some first hand comments. Nelson is a beautiful place that is for sure! Not as nice as penticton of course...Smile

2012-03-28 7:35 PM

Such a fun race!  There is both and Olympic and Sprint distance.  The bike course take your out kootenay lake and has some rolling hills with a few minor climbs but nothing crazy and the run has some nice hills (the sprint is mainly flat).  Kootenay Lake which is actually a river stays pretty cool all year round so it is recommended to wear a wetsuit.  Being from here I highly recommend it
2012-04-01 10:04 AM

User image

I did the Olympic last year in Nelson, The swim is actually in the “West Arm of Kootenay Lake, which can have quite a
current, and can be quite challenging.  The swim course they show on their web site can change depending on how the
mountain run off goes. Last year, it was late which resulted in the water temp being around 9 deg.C. and a faster than normal current. They changed the course at the last minute to go along the shore line rather than across the arm. You will want a full wetsuit as last year I understand they pulled out 2 people with hypothermia that wore a “shorty” wet suit.

The cycle is a beautiful course along the shore of the arm. Last year they upgraded the road which resulted in a great
ride surface. Make sure you have lots of liquids, its warm there this time of year.

The run course is quite hilly and as it’s later in the morning when you hit this part, its warm and need to hydrate lots.

The best part, race is when you’re done you get a free massage from some very talented folks, which is great after a long hard race.

The races are very well orgainized, they food was great after the race.

The friendly people and great scenery make this a Tri you will want to add to your “Tri” “to do list”

Cheers, Don

2012-04-25 10:15 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta
Thanks everyone for your input. Decided on heart of the rockies again. not sure if I can swing enough holidays to do Nelson this year but it is on the list for next year I think!

New Thread
Canadian Triathlon Forum British Columbia » Cyswog-Nelson Rss Feed