BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Oriolepwr and QuincyF's Magical Mys-tri Tour "The Sequel" -On Tour!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 51

2012-04-03 9:42 PM

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL
Subject: Oriolepwr and QuincyF's Magical Mys-tri Tour "The Sequel" -On Tour!!

WHEN CAN YOU START MENTORING CONSISTENTLY: Now

NAME:  (Oriolepwr) Dave  also known as Mr. White   "It's Time to cook Jesse!"

STORY:   I'm a type 2 diabetic  Marathon Maniac.   I found Triathlon as an injured runner.  Fell in love with the complexity to it, as well as the idea that even if I'm injured in one area I have the other 2 disciplines to keep me sane.

I especially like helping other type 2's learn that not only is fitness something that helps keep you away from the unpleasant nature of the disease and on to learning just how much fun all of this is.   

FAMILY STATUS:  Married  with two daughters ages 12 and 10  (so proud both swim/run and have done a couple of Triathlons!  YAY)

CURRENT TRAINING:   Still ramping things up.  ***Needs work****

PAST RACES  IM-Moo, Muncie, Steelhead, Racine, Branson, Kansas 70.3's,  A bunch of marathons and other stuff.

2012 RACES:   Bigfoot Oly, Door County 70.3,  Chicago Marathon, (maybe Dallas again) and the biggie  JFK 50 mile Ultra.   There are lots of other races that I will at the time think are "A" races  but reality is  the ones mentioned are the really big ones for me.       I'm thinking/hoping to do IM-St George in 2013!

WEIGHTLOSS:   Lost a bunch of weight in the past  but I do like to drink beer.  maybe too much.   I do need to get serious and lose extra weight to be back to PR shape. 

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOR:

Well,  I have lots of experience doing mostly the wrong things.   I will happily share them, along with some genuine helpful knowledge about what might hopefully help you to maximize your Tri experience.   HEY!  I don't know everything.  So please know that if I feel a question or whatever is out of my league, not in my experience or whatever, I'll just say so.    I can be frank which can be of use to you as long as you are looking for an honest opinion from afar.    

I will support you, and hope you will do same for me.  Humor is a great way to get through good times and bad. 

I do like being in a group, and had a blast co-mentoring the last tour with my friend Quincyf    What tour?????

The now infamous merry bunch of the original Magical Mys-tri Tour!!!!

Start the music please!
Roll up
Roll up for the Mys-tri Tour
Roll up

Roll up (and that's an invitation)
Roll up (to make a reservation)

The Magical Mys-tri Tour is
Waiting to take you away
Waiting to take you away

Roll up
Roll up

Roll up (we've got everything you need)
Roll up (satisfaction guaranteed)

Hoping to take you away
Hoping to take you away

Ah the Magical Mys-tri Tour
Roll up
Roll up (and that's an invitation)
Roll up (to make a reservation)

Coming to take you away
Coming to take you away

Dying to take you away
Dying to take you away
Take you today

Edited by oriolepwr 2012-05-22 11:31 AM

2012-04-04 1:18 AM
in reply to: #4128570

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Subject: RE: Oriolepwr and QuincyF's Magical Mys-tri Tour "The Sequel"

Here I am! I'd write more or put out a veggie tray, but I'm too busy visiting the holy land (eg. Breaking Bad country)

WHEN CAN YOU START MENTORING CONSISTENTLY: Now.

NAME: Quincy (QuincyF

STORY: Always physically fit, I let myself go when I hit my 30's. I ran a couple 5k's after my daughter was born but didn't start taking endurance sports seriously until after my second child was born and I trained for my first half Marathon (a distance I considered to be 'ultra' at the time). My long runs took me past Ohio St. Beach (Tri Beach) on the Chicago Lakefront where I would see all these fabulously fit and gorgeous people I knew were triathletes. I decided I wanted to look and be like them (vanity is a powerful motivator), so I signed up for my first race...a sprint in September 2009.  Since then I have been becoming gradually more immersed in the triathlon lifestyle. Along the way, I got my husband hooked, as well as several of our friends and even a relative of mine...I consider myself to be a sort of a Triathlon Typhoid Mary.

FAMILY STATUS:  Happily married to a fellow triathlete with the two cutest kids in the world and two lazy pugs. Previously lived all over (mostly with our hair on fire) but now settled in the Bucktown neighborhood of Chicago.

CURRENT TRAINING: Starting Don Fink's 30 week plan in February. Sort of. Kind of busted my shoulder so I can't swim until June, so, uh, there's gonna be a LOT of biking and running. You know, once the doc says it's ok.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: Pre-Eclampsia Foundation 5k, Batavia Sprint Tri, Pleasant Prairie Oly, Racine HIM, Steelhead HIM, Chicago Sprint Tri, 4 woman 60k TT, Chicago Marathon, Chicago Monster Dash 1/2 Marathon.

2012 RACES: IMOO, Chicago Marathon, probably Rev3 Wisconsin Dells, maybe Racine HIM, probably Batavia Duathlon, maybe Galena Duathlon. Won't be cleared to swim until June, so progress or lack thereof will inform the rest of my season. At this point, nothing is certain, but everything centers on getting to IMOO...

WEIGHTLOSS: Have had great success with portion control and journaling, losing 40 lbs after each of my pregnancies. 

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOR:  I am good looking and extremely confident. I like to boss people around and talk about myself a lot, so having a group of people willing to listen to me all day long would be an ideal situation.

***Just checking to see if you're actually reading this***

The number one thing that will make me a good mentor is that I have learned from some of the best mentors this website has to offer. Because I don't have a specific triathlon strength or particular interest, I would prefer to have a group of ultra newbies who need help getting started and finding information. Folks who otherwise might feel intimidated or overwhelmed by the tons of information and 'colorful' personalities in the sport. If you're trying to figure out if you can pull off your first race, or even trying to plan your first season, this would be a good group for you. Consider me to be your "gateway drug" into the world of triathlon. 

2012-04-04 6:38 PM

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL
Subject: RE: Oriolepwr and QuincyF's Magical Mys-tri Tour "The Sequel"

I just had a meeting with  Gus.      I had this pic taken as it may be important later.    I don't trust the guy   but dang he makes some fine chicken!   You may want to try it since you are in the area.  

Edited by oriolepwr 2012-04-04 6:40 PM
2012-04-10 2:44 PM

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Oriolepwr and QuincyF's Magical Mys-tri Tour "The Sequel"-OPEN
I'm in for the sequel!

Will post a bio soon.

Movies where the sequel was as good if not better than the original??? Hmmmm...pirates of the carribean ? What say you?
2012-04-10 4:15 PM

User image

Veteran

Hi gang,

I'm in, ready, willing, and able. (I think??

Best Sequel:  Superman II (Director's Cut)

May the Legs be with US!

Tom

2012-04-10 4:46 PM

User image

Veteran

In baby, in!  I will post a new bio later.  I'm off for a training swim.  My reward for 20 laps is a big glass of wine.  It's the only way I can get my arse in the pool!!!!!

Jac

2012-04-10 4:47 PM
in reply to: #4141858

User image

Veteran
DaDooRunRun - 2012-04-10 5:46 PM

In baby, in!  I will post a new bio later.  I'm off for a training swim.  My reward for 20 laps is a big glass of wine.  It's the only way I can get my arse in the pool!!!!!

Jac

Although...the wine isn't helpful isn shedding the 3ish pounds I brought back from spring break...oh well!!!

2012-04-10 5:11 PM
in reply to: #4141861

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico
I've got the veggie tray...gotta go run out for more wine because SOME people keep drinking it!!!
2012-04-10 8:05 PM

User image

Veteran
West Palm Beach
I am in! Can I? Can I? I will write my bio later as I just got home after a very long shift at work! Nursing shifts are looooong! I am super excited to be in this group!Alicia
2012-04-10 8:55 PM
in reply to: #4141506

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL

Ybeal - 2012-04-10 2:44 PM I'm in for the sequel!

Will post a bio soon.

Movies where the sequel was as good if not better than the original??? Hmmmm...pirates of the carribean ? What say you?

I'm going to go with Star Trek 2  "Wrath of Khan"    They had me at that early scene when Khan inserted those crazy worms in Checkov's ears       here is a link    Check it out!

Tom- I've not seen the Superman directors cut.  How is that a sequel?

2012-04-10 9:06 PM

User image

Expert
Hammond
I'm definitely in. I've kind of gotten attached to you guys ;-), and don't worry Dave I brought a couple of cases of wine with me. I can't live without my nightly glass so I had to bring enough to make sure I got mine- lol. I'll try not to drink more than my fair share but I can't make any promises. After all my favorite shirt in Saturday's race said the following:

Our drinking team has a running problem.

All I could think was man I wanna be on their team- lol.

Now for movies where the sequel was as good as the first- hmmm- My brain is too fuzzy from all the wine to think of any.

I'll repost bio later also. I have to agree with Alicia- these nursing shifts are long and lately they are very exhausting.

May the legs be with you,

Shelly

2012-04-10 9:07 PM
in reply to: #4142243

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico
oriolepwr - 2012-04-10 8:55 PM

Ybeal - 2012-04-10 2:44 PM I'm in for the sequel!

Will post a bio soon.

I'm going to go with Star Trek 2  "Wrath of Khan"    They had me at that early scene when Khan inserted those crazy worms in Checkov's ears       here is a link    Check it out!

Tom- I've not seen the Superman directors cut.  How is that a sequel?

Godfather II

Empire Strikes Back

Caddyshack II

Which one of these things is not like the other, which one of these things does not belong. Sing it with me...

2012-04-10 9:09 PM
in reply to: #4142137

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico

trirun26 - 2012-04-10 8:05 PM I am in! Can I? Can I? I will write my bio later as I just got home after a very long shift at work! Nursing shifts are looooong! I am super excited to be in this group!Alicia

Hi Alicia, love your pic!

2012-04-10 9:13 PM

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL

Gang,  considering the hi-jinx, and shenanigans that went on with the original Mys-tri tour,  I find that we MUST must insist on this rule.    Double dipping is not allowed.  I mean its like putting your entire FACE into the dip.  (unless you use Jacki's method)    so please respect this rule and carry on, this is a party after-all. 

Enjoy enjoy, mangia mangia!  then we must get serious,  we all have events coming up  Don't we??

And please get those Bio's  up!

Happy to see Q back from the "breaking bad" holy land.   Was worried that there was some kind of horrific ATM machine episode out there or something.  

Tom, Yvonne, Jacki, and Shelleeeeeee welcome back  you Mys-tri tour vets!  so glad you signed up for another round. 

Alicia!!!   SO awesome you are joining us!    Me and Alicia go waaaayyyyy back to the triathlete forum on Runners World.  there was a bunch of us that migrated over to BT together a few years ago.        This is one of the BEST parts of BT  watching people grow do their events despite all that life has a way of throwing at you.   

Edited by oriolepwr 2012-04-10 9:24 PM
2012-04-10 9:33 PM
in reply to: #4142277

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico
oriolepwr - 2012-04-10 9:13 PM

Gang,  considering the hi-jinx, and shenanigans that went on with the original Mys-tri tour,  I find that we MUST must insist on this rule.    Double dipping is not allowed.  I mean its like putting your entire FACE into the dip.  (unless you use Jacki's method)    so please respect this rule and carry on, this is a party after-all. 

Enjoy enjoy, mangia mangia!  then we must get serious,  we all have events coming up  Don't we??

Happy to see Q back from the "breaking bad" holy land.   Was worried that there was some kind of horrific ATM machine episode out there or something.  

Tom, Yvonne, Jacki, and Shelleeeeeee welcome back  you Mys-tri tour vets!  so glad you signed up for another round. 

Alicia!!!   SO awesome you are joining us!    Me and Alicia go waaaayyyyy back to the triathlete forum on Runners World.  there was a bunch of us that migrated over to BT together a few years ago.        This is one of the BEST parts of BT  watching people grow do their events despite all that life has a way of throwing at you.   

Dude, we totally saw the Big Chief gas station on Zia Pueblo, both cheezy motels (crossroads???), and found out that the house in the pilot that Jesse jumps out of the second story window when Walt is on ride along with the police is in FIL's subdivision!!! And Walt's high school is on our regular run route one neighborhood over. INSANE! 

It was kind of like Mecca.

2012-04-10 9:47 PM
in reply to: #4142306

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL
quincyf - 2012-04-10 9:33 PM

Dude, we totally saw the Big Chief gas station on Zia Pueblo, both cheezy motels (crossroads???), and found out that the house in the pilot that Jesse jumps out of the second story window when Walt is on ride along with the police is in FIL's subdivision!!! And Walt's high school is on our regular run route one neighborhood over. INSANE! 

That's so awesome! I'm sure you two looked at each other and were like "NO WAY!"     You did not run into "Tortuga" did ya?    did you take pics??   

2012-04-10 9:53 PM
in reply to: #4142334

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico
oriolepwr - 2012-04-10 9:47 PM
quincyf - 2012-04-10 9:33 PM

That's so awesome! I'm sure you two looked at each other and were like "NO WAY!"     You did not run into "Tortuga" did ya?    did you take pics??   

No tortuga...scaaaary! No pix either...but Chris found a website that detailed every single shoot site for the whole series...we'll show it to you the next time we hang out...it was amazing...they even had the cook sites out in the desert!

I love that the tour has regulars...maybe we'll become one of those weird mentor groups that fills up before it goes live...cue the banjo music, haha...

2012-04-11 8:17 AM

User image

Veteran
I guess you missed the (II) after Superman, Superman 2 Directors Cut.  Zod breaks out of the forbidden zone and comes to earth.
2012-04-11 8:31 AM

User image

Veteran

Bio: Tom Lakatos  52 yrs young

East Windsor NJ

Seriously training since January with the first Mys-tri tour. 

Single, 1 son who will be 24 next month.  Looking for a new career since I closed my business in 2008.  Currently a security guard and an at home travel agent.

So, lots of time to train. 

I am currently working on a 16 week sprint tri plan and slowly making improvements.  My first Tri is scheduled and paid for on April 29th.

Quote from Superman 2 (II) "Promises were made, gifts exchanged" Lex Luthor to Superman.

Edited by TLakatos1259 2012-04-11 8:34 AM
2012-04-11 8:52 AM
in reply to: #4142815

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL

TLakatos1259 - 2012-04-11 8:17 AM I guess you missed the (II) after Superman, Superman 2 Directors Cut.  Zod breaks out of the forbidden zone and comes to earth.

I did miss the second I   how did I do that?   sorry.      I don't remember much of Superman 2  I'll have to watch it again!

2012-04-11 10:35 AM
in reply to: #4141861

User image

Veteran
DaDooRunRun - 2012-04-10 5:47 PM
DaDooRunRun - 2012-04-10 5:46 PM

Jac

Although...the wine isn't helpful isn shedding the 3ish pounds I brought back from spring break...oh well!!!

yummmm, wine.......

Just got home from visiting family for easter. Started out the trip getting to the airport to find both my daughters passports expired march 31st! Rookie mistake can't believe we made as we travel ALL the time!
Sooo no plane for us, girls crying, (me too a little) but they would not let us fly. So we went back home with two sad little girls (3 if you count me) Wink and my dh, wonderful man that he is, says how about a road trip? And we drive 12 hours to see the family, yes, we can drive over the border w expired passports but NOT fly, figure that?!?!?

Anyhow, back now, no training recently, gotta get back on that wagon! Warrior dash in may and a sprint tri, time to focus on that bike!

Edited by Ybeal 2012-04-11 11:33 AM

2012-04-11 10:47 AM

User image

Veteran

BIO TIME!!! Best to post it before the wine Wink

NAME:  Yvonne

STORY:   Turning 40, did my first tri this past oct, sprint rambling rose and I'm hooked. Did a half marathon w team in training in 2006, so much fun. But got injured training for the next two events, first stress fracture in rgt tibia, then later one in left foot, then eventually one in right foot. So thought maybe tri would be better.  Got a new road bike in December, first ever, clip less pedals and all, still figuring out how to use it! I've already done two sprints this year and looking forward to doing some more.

FAMILY STATUS: Married with two kids, 8 & 10 yo girls, both have done one tri and they are currently on a Youth Triathlon Team training for an event in May.  My dh is also on board to tri a sprint this fall! Working really hard to get the whole family on a healthier path with running and triathlons.

CURRENT TRAINING:  Pretty consistent since January, slacked a little the last week or two because I felt like I needed a break, but pretty active overall, weights and cardio at the gym, running ( couch to 5k to slowly work up tp distance),  swimming and biking.

2011 RACES:  Rambling rose sprint tri oct 2011 - my first one!

2012 RACES:   Azalea Sprint Tri (done!),Shamrock 8K (done!), Girls Run the World Sprint (done!), First in Flight 5K April 21, Warrior dash in may, ramblin rose may, Tower of Terror 10 Miler Disney in Sept., Ramblin Rose in oct. -  really want to do a longer distance in October, maybe white lake international but not sure if that's too ambitious?!?

WEIGHTLOSS:   Have lost 35 lbs in the last 14 months, another 25 to go. Working in some P90X starting this month too to jump start some more weight loss.

WHY I WANT TO BE PART OF THIS GROUP:    I love BT! Totally addicted! I'm reading all the posts, everything, and spending way too much time on this site lol.  I find it really helpful to stay motivated by reading about everyone's journey and all the diverse backgrounds.  I don't know many people locally so I use you all as virtual training buddies

2012-04-11 7:47 PM

User image

I'm back again (if you'll let me...I may have asked too many questions last round), but like Yvonne I kind of find this addicting.  It's a good addiction to have though.  Quick Bio:

My name is Todd.  I am 42, married and have two kids - one son 11 and one daughter 10 who are going to be running their first 5K with me in a couple weeks.  I ran my first marathon last summer and thought I would mainly stick to just running, but went to a dental seminar (yes, I am a dentist) given by a guy who had completed an ironman and I thought..."It can't be any worse than a root canal can it?Smile".  So here I am.  My first ever triathlon comes up in June and I boldy (or insanely, depending) signed up to do the 70.3 in Racine in July.  Looking forward to more input from Dave and Quincy. 

2012-04-11 10:09 PM
in reply to: #4144623

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL
trei - 2012-04-11 7:47 PM

I'm back again (if you'll let me...I may have asked too many questions last round), but like Yvonne I kind of find this addicting.  It's a good addiction to have though.  Quick Bio:

My name is Todd.  I am 42, married and have two kids - one son 11 and one daughter 10 who are going to be running their first 5K with me in a couple weeks.  I ran my first marathon last summer and thought I would mainly stick to just running, but went to a dental seminar (yes, I am a dentist) given by a guy who had completed an ironman and I thought..."It can't be any worse than a root canal can it?Smile".  So here I am.  My first ever triathlon comes up in June and I boldy (or insanely, depending) signed up to do the 70.3 in Racine in July.  Looking forward to more input from Dave and Quincy. 

Absolutely Todd!  I mean about you being back in "The good ole blues brothers  band-from Chicago"  oh wait that's not it.   It's the Mys-tri tour!   

You didn't ask too many questions, besides that's what the group is for!     so please ask some more.

The veggie tray is out and again please refrain from the dbl dip.    Quincy is out getting more wine, and she will be back shortly. 

2012-04-11 10:14 PM

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL
Just back from masters swim for this week.    Got videotaped.  Yeeeeahhh  I'm thinking this is not going to be fun for me to watch.   But it will be helpful.   I'm getting a ton of instruction, and I'm trying hard to put all of this in motion.  But this decades old swim muscle memory is tough to re-train.    But I'm working on it though!    
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Oriolepwr and QuincyF's Magical Mys-tri Tour "The Sequel" -On Tour!! Rss Feed  

of 51