BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Eli's Tri-ing to get ready for an IM (and a sprint, and an olympic, and some running) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 10

2012-04-04 8:02 AM

User image

Master
Subject: Eli's Tri-ing to get ready for an IM (and a sprint, and an olympic, and some running)

NAME: Eliwashere- First Name- Elias, but I go by Eli

STORY: I am a lifelong recreational athlete. I swam in summer teams, played football, wrestling and lacrosse in high school, rugby in college and then...got fat. I ran sporadically after college (1995) but it never really stuck. 
In 2002 I got motivated to run a marathon and ran Disney that year. I also discovered that being fit would help me keep up with my child. Since 2006 I have been running regularly and re-discovered triathlons (used to watch and thought about tri in college, but never pulled the trigger) in 2007. I really enjoy the multi-sport aspect of triathlon and the fact it doesn't wear my body down quite as much as just running. I also like the level of interaction at the races. I find that the community is very friendly and like to stay involved in my local race scene.

FAMILY STATUS: Married with one child. Wife runs marathons, and has started to ride!

CURRENT TRAINING: I generally train 5-6 days a week. I would guess I average about 5-8 hours a week. I try to keep at least one race on my schedule in the next 3 months to stay motivated.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: Ragnar Key West (AWESOME), ING 1/2 Marathon , A1A 1/2 Marathon, IM San Juan(SO HOT), Palm 100 relay, Great Florida Challenge, IM New York/New Jersey, Escape to Miami, Marine Corps Marathon.

2011 RACES:  2011 was a good year for me. Ran the Goofy Challenge at Disney, volunteered at a few sprint Tri's, Palm 100 relay, Some local tri's, Escape to Miami, Great Floridian Ultra Distance triathlon and a few 1/2 marathons.

WEIGHTLOSS: Got down to 210 last year, and am trying to get down to 200, or even 195, although I haven't weighed that little since High School.  Still trying to lose that last 10 lbs!!

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOR:
 I I am also a voracious reader and love to research a topic. I am a little bit of a geek as well. I spend a fair bit of time lurking around BT, and I am not shy about posting. This will be my 5th season of triathlon, and I am interested and willing to share my experiences and helping others enjoy it as much as I do. I work from home and am online quite a bit, so it is easy for me to be responsive.

This year I am signed up for my 3rd IM race,and am hoping to PR. My goal would be for something sub 12 hours. I believe that consistency and maintaining motivation are key parts of being a happy and succesful recreational endurance athlete.

Ready to Start!

Edited by eliwashere 2012-10-04 8:49 AM

2012-04-10 1:08 PM
in reply to: #4129044

User image

Master
Subject: RE: Eli's Tri-ing to get ready for an IM (and a sprint, and an olympic, and some running) OPEN

Wheee, went live today.

Just an FYI to anyone interested, I have an HIM this weekend in Clermont, FL. Nothing like starting the season of with a little suffering.

I am traveling for work until Wednesday, which will make for an interesting taper week.

2012-04-11 10:55 AM

Subject: RE: Eli's Tri-ing to get ready for an IM (and a sprint, and an olympic, and some running) OPEN

Eli, Hope that I may be picked to be a part of your group.. 

My short story. 3 straight years of spinal Surgery a few years back. Took to Bike riding to lose the weight I gained from 3 plus years of being "sidelined" I am by no means a "pro" I am a 42 YO husband, dad, Firefighter. With like everyone else almost. more dreams then actual time to train. But I have been giving it hell and lost a gross total of almost 50lbs. at 218 now. and I as well have the "sub 200" lbs goal in long term mind. I have taken the challenge of Tri. I am enrolling in swim lessons.(obviously best if I learn to swim LOL) I have resolved to take a "slow and Steady" approach to this and do it right! I am doing basic "base building" on the no more then 10% gain in time per week with a Drop week for recovery. My intensity is dictated by my HR so as to not exceed the Zone 2 theory of base building. I have set a short term goal (if my swimming is strong enough) for 1st tri ever in late Sep. early Oct. It will just be a local Sprint. with my "big" long term goal being the 2013 Wilkes-Barre Oly Tri. Would love to have someone to just throw basic questions off to try and separate fact from fiction. and what is real for a basic blue collar tri guy from stuff that just does not need to be concerned with at this point of my budding Tri life. Thank you respectfully AJ.... 

2012-04-11 7:58 PM

User image

Wetumpka, AL

Greetings Eli

I'm back for a second trip around the sun

Name: Bufit / Neal

Story:  This time last year my wife had the idea that it would be fun for us to complete a local half marathon in October.  At this time last year I was not physically fit, used smokeless tobacco on a regular basis and thought "its only 13 miles, anyone can do this."  Well we started C25K in Jan in prep for a 5k in March.  I stopped dipping and followed the plan completing the 5k in 35ish minutes.  I stuck with running as I found it a good stress relief.  Since that first 5k I have completed 6 or 7 others, a 10k, half marathon then got froggy and signed up for a sprint tri this past september.  I was given a Trek 1000 from a friend and its been all down hill from there.  I am currently signed up for Augusta in Sept 2012.

Family:  Married for 9 1/2 years, child #1 is scheduled to hit the ground in Oct 2012, 16 y/o blind diabetic blue heeler

Current Training:  6 days a week.  Luckily, I get Monday's off.  

2011 races:  numerous 5k's, 10k, Montgomery Half Marathon (2:40), Barbarian Challenge, local mud runs, Coastal Tri-it-on in Gulf Shores, impromptu/unsupported/just for fun Christmas Eve half (2:47)

2012 races: IM Augusta 70.3(A race), Montgomery Half, Coastal Tri, a couple of sprints for fine tuning, what ever looks fun

Weightloss:  Currently 235ish.  Would like to get in the area of 215-220

2012-04-12 7:30 AM
in reply to: #4144636

User image

Master

Neal,

Great to have you back for another round!

I think I am looking forward to your race at Augusta as much as you are!!!

2012-04-12 7:32 AM

User image

Master

Whew,

Back from a work trip. Despite the best intentions, I only managed 1 workout, but it was a good one. I got in a solid 5 miles on the treadmill, did some 1 mile repeats.

My race is this weekend, and I am still up in the air about my nutrition, as I totally bombed it in San Juan. Planning to re-read some of my resources and journal from last two years to find my sweet spot for nutrtition.

2012-04-12 12:47 PM

User image

Veteran
Los Angeles

If you'll have me again!

NAME: Mitchparadise/ Mitch

STORY: I'm 40 years old.  I've only done 2 triathlons.  1 being the Full Vineman and the other was IM Oceanside 70.3 (last Saturday).  I'm a runner at heart.  Found I do like swimiing and have only been on the bike for a year

FAMILY STATUS: Married for 3 years.  1 daughter age 2.  And they're both absolutely amazing!

CURRENT TRAINING: I'm currently in a recovery week from My 70.3 last Saturday.  Plan on jumping right back in for another HIM in Sept, then maybe a full in Dec.  I try to get 4 runs, 3 bikes and 2 swims a week (key word is try).  I started using my indoor trainer for a lot of my cycle training and I have improved greatly since the Vineman last July.  I'm coming off a broken foot during my HIM training the last few months so I plan on being run focused for a bit here to get it back.

LAST YEAR'S RACES: Full Vineman, Long Beach Half Marathon, Xterra Trail run series (broke my foot on the 2nd one!) Multiple 10k's and 5k's...PR'd at all distances I ran last year 5k (21:08), 10k (44:46) Half Marathon (1:49:29)

2012 RACES:  IM Oceanside 70.3, Super Frog HIM, HITS Full Distance (maybe).  A few half marathons, trails races etc.... TBD

WEIGHTLOSS: I'm lucky enough to have to make sure I don't lose too much weight.

WHAT AM I LOOKING FOR OR GOALS:  Consistent training, Increased bike fitness, nutrition help and overall accountability on my training.

2012-04-12 1:03 PM
in reply to: #4146275

User image

Master

Mitch,

Glad to have you back! I just read your race report from IM California, and you are a machine. As many have posted on your report, your perseverance was incredible!!!

Is the Super Frog the one in San Diego at the Navy base? When is that one?

2012-04-12 1:11 PM

User image

Master

Hey guys,

Just checked through my history here, looking at logs and posts and I realized I haven't done a good job posting about my race day nutrition.

Nutrition on the longer races, especially in the heat, is where I usually mess up my race.

Since I have the HIM this weekend, I am trying to make sure I stay on track.

My plan is to have about 250-300 calories an hour on the bike. This means a snickers in T1 (well, at least a bite) and then Perpetuem on the bike. I usually mix the Perpetuem with 4 scoops in a bottle that should last the 2.5-3 hours I hope it takes me on the bike. This means I have 540 calories in drink and the snickers (240 calories I think). I am debating adding a peanut butter and jelly sandwich in my bento box, as I prefer solid food on the bike.

I also expect to drink 2-3 aerobottles of water.

On the run, I will have 2-3 gels or some shot bloks and gels. Run is mostly flat, but has a hill at one point.

I know it sounds like I am overthinking it, but since I find it hard to run when my stomach is upset, I need to get this right to have a good race.

2012-04-12 8:55 PM
in reply to: #4146338

User image

Veteran
Los Angeles
eliwashere - 2012-04-12 11:03 AM

Mitch,

Glad to have you back! I just read your race report from IM California, and you are a machine. As many have posted on your report, your perseverance was incredible!!!

Is the Super Frog the one in San Diego at the Navy base? When is that one?

Thanks Eli, It was quite a race!

Yes, the super frog is in San Diego with the Navy Seals.  End of Sept, then may carry that to the full HITS in Lake Havasu.

2012-04-13 7:33 AM
in reply to: #4147483

User image

Master
Mitchparadise - 2012-04-12 8:55 PM

Thanks Eli, It was quite a race!

Yes, the super frog is in San Diego with the Navy Seals.  End of Sept, then may carry that to the full HITS in Lake Havasu.

Wow, that is awesome. The superfrog sounds really cool!

2012-04-13 9:06 AM

User image

Master
OK, looking to get in a quick pool swim today. Got to make sure I have some idea of what I am doing in the water on Sunday.
2012-04-13 1:15 PM
in reply to: #4148163

User image

Veteran
Los Angeles

eliwashere - 2012-04-13 7:06 AM OK, looking to get in a quick pool swim today. Got to make sure I have some idea of what I am doing in the water on Sunday.

Good luck on your race!

BTW your nutrition is almost exactly as mine was.  4 scoops perpetuem bottle on the bike, with 1 gel, (my bike was so long that I had to get a bottle at the aid station for the last bit) then a few gels on the run.  I did end up eating some oranges, bananas and pretzels on the run as well as some coke.

Sounds like you have a very good nutrition plan.  Bring the PB & J just in case!

2012-04-16 8:50 AM

User image

Master

Whew!

Great weekend, but a little crazy. Race was OK, better than my first this year, but not quite where I want to be.

I will post more details and a race report in a bit.

How was everyone else's weekend?

2012-04-16 5:17 PM

User image

Master

Hey there,

Here is the race report. Was a good one, and almost a great one.

Nutrition was good, mental game was pretty good, swim was good, transistions were good, bike was pretty good, run was.....eh.

I think this was mostly a case of not enough training. Better than San Juan, on a tougher course, but not my best...

2012-04-16 7:27 PM

User image

Evansville, IN
I'd like to come back. I'll post my info in just a bit. A couple of you in the last group knew that I messed my legs up pretty good. I was diagnosed with Compartment Syndrome and just now recently had the surgery done. A few more weeks of recovering I will be back at it. Legs are still hurting from the surgery but I'll be back at it soon. Still as dedicated as ever. Hope you are all training your butts off.

2012-04-17 8:08 AM
in reply to: #4154552

User image

Master

neumann_jc - 2012-04-16 7:27 PM I'd like to come back. I'll post my info in just a bit. A couple of you in the last group knew that I messed my legs up pretty good. I was diagnosed with Compartment Syndrome and just now recently had the surgery done. A few more weeks of recovering I will be back at it. Legs are still hurting from the surgery but I'll be back at it soon. Still as dedicated as ever. Hope you are all training your butts off.

I know a few people who have had the surgery. The recovery is tough, but they have all returned to sports and been very happy.

Good to see you are still motivated. Hopefully we can keep you entertained as you get back to your fitness!

2012-04-17 8:49 AM

User image

Master

Starting to think about my plan for IM NY/NJ and what the rest of the season will look like.

Here are the races I am signed up for:

IM NY/NJ August 11

Escape to Miami (Olympic) September 23, 2012

Marine Corps Marathon October 28, 2012

I am also thinking about signing up for an Olympic in June.... and possibly IM Cozumel in November...

2012-04-17 8:45 PM

User image

Evansville, IN
I was told 6-8 weeks until I can run again. As soon as the incisions heal I can get back in the pool, then return to the doc on May 3rd hopefully to return to bike at that appointment.

Meanwhile I am learning all I can. Regiment, nutrition, technique are all high on the list. I do have a question for you guys that have done an full or half IM. How long did it take before you jumped into those? I obviously want to do others first and build up but I was recently told there was no way I could do a full and I don't like being told I can't do something. I like proving naysayers wrong and I want to prove it to myself too. Any advise, links, books anything really would be appreciated!
2012-04-17 8:48 PM
in reply to: #4157140

User image

Veteran
Los Angeles

neumann_jc - 2012-04-17 6:45 PM I was told 6-8 weeks until I can run again. As soon as the incisions heal I can get back in the pool, then return to the doc on May 3rd hopefully to return to bike at that appointment.

Meanwhile I am learning all I can. Regiment, nutrition, technique are all high on the list. I do have a question for you guys that have done an full or half IM. How long did it take before you jumped into those? I obviously want to do others first and build up but I was recently told there was no way I could do a full and I don't like being told I can't do something. I like proving naysayers wrong and I want to prove it to myself too. Any advise, links, books anything really would be appreciated!

I've only done 2 triathlons.  1st was a full (Vineman) last July, 2nd was IM Oceanside 70.3 (2 weeks ago). You can do whatever you put your mind to....

2012-04-18 8:11 AM
in reply to: #4157140

User image

Master

neumann_jc - 2012-04-17 8:45 PM I was told 6-8 weeks until I can run again. As soon as the incisions heal I can get back in the pool, then return to the doc on May 3rd hopefully to return to bike at that appointment.

It really depends on your motivation and how much time you have. I did my first full in my 3rd season of triathlon. I did my first 1/2 in my second season (totally unprepared) and I know people that have done a full in the same year as their first sprint.

2012-04-18 3:16 PM
in reply to: #4157676

User image

Master

Whew,

Finally did some time working out today. I meant to run yesterday, but the day escaped me a bit. I have been thinking about my plan for IM NY/NJ. Hard to believe it is already so close.

Here is my plan for doing well at IM Ny/NJ:

1. Lose some weight. 

Since IM NY/NJ has a hilly course, this will make a huge difference. At 10-20 lbs lighter, the inclines shouldn't be so hard on me. My plan is to try to manage my grazing during the day, and limit my snack foods. I will probably start tracking my food again as well.

2. Work my core

I still feel that doing at least 1 session in the gym a week with complex movements like squats, lunges, bench press and the like it helpful. Making sure my legs and core are fit will be a huge part of staying injury free as I ramp my training back up.

3. Focus on quality, then get in the quantity

I have a good idea of what it takes to prepare to finish an IM. I want to make sure that my base of fitness, and speed, is solid before I focus on going long. I think I can leave the longer stuff until the lat 8 weeks or so, as long as I am in the medium range already.

4. Do the long runs

I really haven't put in the long runs I need to prepare. I know that my bike fitness is important, but I also think that if you don't have the legs to run, there is no way you can do it, no matter how good your bike fitness. This has been the case for the 2 IMs I ran as well as my last two HIMs.

So, that is my plan, in short. Now I need to put some dates, times and workouts into my system!

2012-04-18 6:01 PM
in reply to: #4158920

eliwashere - 2012-04-18 10:16 AM

1. Lose some weight. 

Since IM NY/NJ has a hilly course, this will make a huge difference. At 10-20 lbs lighter, the inclines shouldn't be so hard on me. My plan is to try to manage my grazing during the day, and limit my snack foods. I will probably start tracking my food again as well.

Eliwashere: Have you had serious results from tracking food? I totally understand and buy into Diet being a huge part of tri /weight loss success. However I just cant see the gains to be made by tracking...

2012-04-18 8:23 PM
in reply to: #4159211

User image

Master
onlooker - 2012-04-18 6:01 PM

Eliwashere: Have you had serious results from tracking food? I totally understand and buy into Diet being a huge part of tri /weight loss success. However I just cant see the gains to be made by tracking...

Onlooker, to tell the truth, I have used tracking with moderate success in the past. It keeps me honest. I work mostly from home, and tend to graze. If I track, it helps me be more conscious about what I eat. It doesn't change much except the quantity in most cases. Since quantity is my issue, it does help some.

Now, if I could learn to chew my food more, that would be a huge success.

2012-04-19 7:16 AM

User image

Master

Hey All,

OK, stepped on the scale for the first time since the race....yikes.

So today, I am going to focus on tracking my food(not so much for the calorie information, but for the thoughtfulness factor), and try to focus on eating healthy and limiting junk food AND quantity. By quantity, I mean NOT grazing or eating 2 servings worth where one serving will do.

I am not planning on eliminating ALL junk, but managing it so it is a treat, the way it should be.

That, and get a run today, probably on the treadmill.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Eli's Tri-ing to get ready for an IM (and a sprint, and an olympic, and some running) Rss Feed  

of 10