General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Insanity workouts + Triathlon training Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-04-13 8:22 PM

Subject: Insanity workouts + Triathlon training
Hi Everyone,

I'm newly back to the site...although it's been several years. I have a couple super sprint triathlons under my belt from about 10 years ago, but decided last fall that I wanted to get back into it. I have my eye on two sprints this year - one at the end of May and another in mid August.

I was wondering if anyone out there has gone through Shaun T's Insanity workouts while training for a triathlon. I'm about a month into the dvds and love them, but am wondering how I should structure the last month and a half of my tri training.

My tri training right now is really limited and really, the only time I can train is when my daughter is in bed. I get to the pool once a week, when my daughter is at her swim practice. That leaves me limited to riding the bike on a trainer and running in place for X minutes each workout.

With that said, I've stayed pretty true to the Insanity dvd's the past month. I find they are a great workout, but am not sure if it's overtraining my body. Each workout has me at the top of my heartrate zones. I'm thinking about cutting back the Insanity and putting more time on the bike trainer and running, and getting pool time when I can, to make sure I have the endurance to finish.

Does anyone have any recommendations or insights on this?

Thanks!

2012-04-18 1:32 AM
in reply to: #4149725

User image

Melon Presser
Subject: RE: Insanity workouts + Triathlon training

Welcome back to BT and triathlon

For the triathlon, you should definitely do as much sport-specific, low-intensity work, and if that's putting more time in on the trainer and running in place, do that. Cut back on the Insanity as much as you can (it's still great for general fitness, and some higher-intensity bursts will also help you to get through a sprint triathlon, but this is not to be confused with actually preparing specifically for the triathlon).

Also, once you do the May tri, you can re-assess how you want to allot your time between Insanity and triathlon training in terms of your goals for August.

Good luck!

2012-04-18 7:14 AM

User image

Elite
I've done Insanity through three times.  When I started training for triathlons during the summer of 2010 I realized something had to go, so it was bye bye Shaun T.  I really wanted to spend the workout time I had preparing for what would be demanded of me in the races I was doing: swimming, cycling, and running.  That said, I love Insanity and miss it when I'm tri-specific training.  I'm running a marathon on Saturday--have trained specifically for that for the last 18 weeks.  Monday morning?  Going right back to Insanity.  I think it's perfect for general fitness, but too much to do when specifically training for a triathlon.  
2012-04-18 3:47 PM
in reply to: #4157539

User image

Veteran
Shawnee

I am in the process of training for my first triathlon's this summer.  I am coming out of a world of P90x, Insanity and RushFit workouts.  As has been echoed already, Insanity (and the others) are great for overall fitness but I don't feel that any of those prepared me for specific triathlon training.  I know I can push harder and longer than I could if I had not had those other workouts, but doing one does not equal success in the other.  

Personally, I don't feel that it's a good idea to do Insanity and train for a tri at the same time.  First of all, it increases your injury risk.  

I plan to shelve these workouts and use them after the "tri season" is over as a continued strength and conditioning system.

2012-04-19 10:28 AM

Sport specific training is the only way to prepare for anything ie, golf, basketball, triathlon's, whatever.  I am a P90X devotee but in the summer when I am competing I want to be outside running, riding and swimming, not at home in front of a DVD.  These are great workouts for the winter but if you want to do your best in these upcoming events you need to train for them.  Good luck.
2012-04-19 11:25 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Syracuse, NY
if you wanna look good in your tri suit, do Insanity. If you want better results in races. Swim bike run.

2012-04-20 9:35 PM

I like crossfit personally
2012-04-27 11:01 AM

User image

Regular
Long Island
I would save it for the off season. I found it hard to recover from tri training when doing insanity or p90x.
2012-04-27 1:42 PM
in reply to: #4176783

Extreme Veteran
NE Ohio

incognito - 2012-04-27 12:01 PM I would save it for the off season. I found it hard to recover from tri training when doing insanity or p90x.

i find it hard to recover from the resitance work, not the tri training, which makes it somewhat counterproductive...and i love resitance work

New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Insanity workouts + Triathlon training Rss Feed