General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Running alternative Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-08-26 6:50 PM

User image

Wabash, IN
Subject: Running alternative

Greetings:  Just made a discovery I never considered before.  I have an old Nordic Track ski machine in the apartment that made a nice hat/coat rack for the past two years.  Since late June I have been struggling with knee and calf issues and have been trying alternatives.

Treadmill requires travel as does water running.  I suppose I could double up when I do my swims, but for some reason I have what feels like a build up of moisture in my lungs and I cough all night after doing the water running.  I suppose it's from the heavy breathing when My heart rate is elevated and mouth/nose close to the water.  Perhaps a mist comes up from the movement. 

Anyway, I jumped on the Nordic Track and felt that it gave me a good workout and simulated to a degree running.  Anybody else try this or have thoughts?  Below is the model I use. 

Edited by curlylk 2012-08-26 7:06 PM

2012-08-26 6:53 PM
in reply to: #4381301

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: Running alternative
curlylk - 2012-08-26 7:50 PM

Greetings:  Just made a discovery I never considered before.  I have an old Nordic Track ski machine in the apartment that made a nice hat/coat rack for the past two years.  Since late June I have been struggling with knee and calf issues and have been trying alternatives.

Treadmill requires travel as does water running.  I suppose I could double up when I do my swims, but for some reason I have what feels like a build up of moisture in my lungs and I cough all night after doing the water running.  I suppose it's from the heavy breathing when My heart rate is elevated and mouth/nose close to the water.  Perhaps a mist comes up from the movement. 

Anyway, I jumped on the Nordic Track and felt that it gave me a good workout and simulated to a degree running.  Anybody else try this or have thoughts?  Below is the model I use(when I say model, I mean the machine, not the girl)

You should have stopped there! It will help with cardiovascular conditioning, but it isn't the same motion as running.

2012-08-26 7:02 PM

User image

Wabash, IN

I thought I would stifle the obvious replies when others looked at the picture by making a statement beforehand.

Anyway, I suppose with only running sprints right now, this may be an adequate alternative to get me through the next race.  Might be all she wrote for the year with these old knees of mine.

2012-08-26 11:58 PM

XC skiing is a solid aerobic workout.  From a muscle use perspective it's closer to cycling than running, but is a good rehab option (water running is more sport specific....so when you have the time).
2012-08-27 7:15 AM

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
There's no real substitute for running... you can work on your endurance and that will help, but your body needs to adapt to the forced subjected onto it from running and there's no other way to do that than run...
2012-08-27 11:55 AM

User image

Regular
Verona, WI

Alternatives to running is always a good topic. I don't have any ideas but wonder what it would be like to run on one of the anti-gravity treadmills. Cost prohibitive for everyone but the very rich and professionals but maybe one of these days...

http://www.alterg.com/product/anti-gravity-treadmills

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Running alternative Rss Feed