BT Development Mentor Program Archives » mcgilmartin's 2013 Mentor Group~ let's get swimming! CLOSED FOR TRAINING Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 23

2012-12-28 7:56 PM

User image

Master
Straight outta Compton
Subject: mcgilmartin's 2013 Mentor Group~ let's get swimming! CLOSED FOR TRAINING

NAME: mcgilmartin/ Matt

STORY: I'm a lifelong swimmer and started in triathlon in 2007.  I've competed in distances ranging from sprint to half ironman.  I haven't had the opportunity to tackle a full 140.6 yet, but it's in my long-term horizon.  As far as shorter triahtlons go: I made the podium a couple times, age group win @ a local tri, and I took first in an aquabike.  I consistently perform at the front of the pack in swimming, and the last couple of years I can add "runner" to my resume.

FAMILY STATUS: Single Dad of two awesome aspiring athletes- ages 7 and 4. One of the best things about my 2012 crew was that we all were focused on keeping a training/family balance that was both healthy and realistic.  A lot of aspiring triathletes burn out because of the demands of the sport.  We want to fix that.

CURRENT TRAINING: I stuck to the sprint and Olympic distance in 2011.  2012 was all about the swim and run for me.  I did a few 10K swims, some 5K swims, 3 half marathons, 1 marathon, and upteen 5 and 10K's.  I am a strong believer in the power of yoga, strength training, and anything else that gets your interest level piqued!   My strong point is immersion swimming and strength training.   

2013 RACES:  Lots of sprints and olympics as time and $ allow!  Also debating another marathon to raise money for a good charity.

WEIGHTLOSS: After "retiring" from swimming in college I got pretty heavy, after starting into fitness and triathlon I'm a very fit 240 lbs (6'5) clydesdale.  I'm interested in nutrition, and if I had to say one thing about food it's : "stick to the natural stuff".  I am not a big believer in supplements, although I do think there is a place for them, just not as part of an everyday diet.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOR: This will be my 3rd year as a mentor- I last mentored in 2012 and we had a phenomenal group, many members of which are coming back again.    I would strongly prefer to work with new triathletes, those that need help with their swimming, or those who have been on the site but never actually raced.  I'm definitely not the fastest triathlete in the world, but I'm incredibly passionate about the sport, and I would like to be able to mentor some folks to complete their initial goals in the sport!  The 2012 members we have coming back are all not only now experienced athletes, they are great people, as well.  You'll find a lot of support from our crew.  Only expectation I have is that you commit to one quarter in this group.  The camaraderie you'll find here is unlike a lot of the other mentoring groups, and I think that's our strong point.  

ALSO- My profile is set to "private" so when you join my group I will add you to the list of people who can read it.  I found things I was blogging about were showing up in Google and it made me a little uneasy 

Edited by mcgilmartin 2013-01-07 3:02 PM

2012-12-28 10:04 PM
in reply to: #4552506

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ogallala, Nebraska
Subject: RE: mcgilmartin's 2013 Mentor Group~ let's get swimming!
I'm in (again)! This was a great group last year and I learned a lot. My "A" race this year is Ironman Boulder 70.3. I'm registered and will start the training January 7. If all goes well I plan to do the HITS Lake Havasu Arizona full iron distance in November, but we're a ways off from making that decision.
2012-12-28 10:05 PM

User image

Round Rock

I'm in ~ Training for the Austin Half Marathon on 2/17/13.

Not fast but determined!

Bryan

2012-12-29 10:21 AM

User image

New user
Western North Carolina
I'm in! Training for Half Ironman Charlotte. Great group!
2012-12-29 11:39 PM

User image

I'd like to be in as well if that's okay. Couple of half marathons on the horizon as well as a few little bike events.
2012-12-30 6:01 AM

User image

Regular
Olney, Maryland
Count me in!  Two half marathons and a ten miler on the spring horizon and likely a marathon in the fall.  Big goals for this year are weight loss, strength training, and squeezing into the rather hideous bridesmaid's dress that my sister has chosen for her wedding in September.

2012-12-30 1:38 PM
in reply to: #4553595

User image

RobinRN - 2012-12-30 6:01 AM Count me in!  Two half marathons and a ten miler on the spring horizon and likely a marathon in the fall.  Big goals for this year are weight loss, strength training, and squeezing into the rather hideous bridesmaid's dress that my sister has chosen for her wedding in September.

We NEED a picture of said dress!!

2012-12-30 2:20 PM
in reply to: #4553543

User image

Master
Straight outta Compton

mmez - 2012-12-29 10:39 PM I'd like to be in as well if that's okay. Couple of half marathons on the horizon as well as a few little bike events.

Don't be ridiculous.  Of course you are in!

2012-12-30 3:23 PM

User image

New user
Western North Carolina
Glad everyone is back in! And definitely need dress photos lol
2012-12-31 12:22 PM

Hi My name is Kellie and I am from Iowa!  I am looking to join a group of like minded people that can help to mentor  me on this new journey.  I am not new to fitness and nutrition, but have been out for a couple of years.  I am highly motivated to get started again.  I picked you because i have never been a swimmer, so i need some help in that department especially.  My goal is to do a couple sprint/ olympic triathalons this year, before i turn 40.  Then look at further training and see how it is going for me.  I love being pushed past my limits and not afraid.  I love biking, and have ran in the past, before a IT band injury about 3 years ago. 

2012-12-31 1:27 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ogallala, Nebraska

My race schedule for 2013:

New Year Resolution 5k in Fort Collins Colorado Jan.1

Corvallis Half Marathon, Corvallis Oregon April 14

Colfax Marathon, Denver Colorado May 19

Ironman 70.3 Boulder Colorado August 4

These are the ones I'm registered for. Registration doesn't open for the Bolder Boulder 10k yet and I'm planning to do it as well. I will be doing a couple sprint triathlons in North Platte, Nebraska (O'Rourke Memorial and Maranatha Camp off road tri). There will be a lot of other local 5k and 10k races. Sheri and I are getting into the Get Fit weight loss program at our community center and they have a lot of runs scattered throughout the spring. Since Thanksgiving until today, I've strayed about as far away from the healthy eating calorie counting lifestyle as I could get. I feel that I've sufficiently "carb-loaded" for the spring training routine and ready to start eating responsibly again. I might wait to start it until Jan. 2 so I can eat one last meal at the Hu Hot Mongolian Grill in Fort Collins tomorrow

My other new years resolution is to log my workouts completely! I got the Garmin 910xt for Christmas and now have absolutely no reason not to be logging. No excuses for 2013!

I hope everyone has a great New Year and I'm looking forward to 2013!

Steve

2012-12-31 3:25 PM
in reply to: #4555216

User image

Master
Straight outta Compton
Kellie39 - 2012-12-31 11:22 AM

Hi My name is Kellie and I am from Iowa!  I am looking to join a group of like minded people that can help to mentor  me on this new journey.  I am not new to fitness and nutrition, but have been out for a couple of years.  I am highly motivated to get started again.  I picked you because i have never been a swimmer, so i need some help in that department especially.  My goal is to do a couple sprint/ olympic triathalons this year, before i turn 40.  Then look at further training and see how it is going for me.  I love being pushed past my limits and not afraid.  I love biking, and have ran in the past, before a IT band injury about 3 years ago. 

Hey Kellie,

Welcome to our group!  I think you've picked a good group to become a part of to achieve your goals!  Where are you from in Iowa?  We had a guy in this group last year from Des Moines.. ISU grad, big Cyclone fan.

2012-12-31 3:36 PM

User image

Master
Straight outta Compton

I forgot about this too... remember when Mariah found this?

http://www.active.com/half-marathon/tampa-fl/sandy-hook-elementary-memorial-virtual-half-marathon-and-5k-2013?cmp=1745

It's totally legit.  I guess the RD's are pretty active in getting races organized for charity.  Goes to show you should never doubt Mariah

2012-12-31 3:46 PM
in reply to: #4555528

User image

New user
Western North Carolina

Nice! Thanks to you both then. And welcome Kellie!

mcgilmartin - 2012-12-30 4:36 PM

http://www.active.com/half-marathon/tampa-fl/sandy-hook-elementary-memorial-virtual-half-marathon-and-5k-2013?cmp=1745

It's totally legit.  I guess the RD's are pretty active in getting races organized for charity.  Goes to show you should never doubt Mariah

2012-12-31 4:06 PM
in reply to: #4555216

User image

Regular
Olney, Maryland

Hi Kellie---welcome to the group!  I think you'll find a tremendous amount of support and encouragement here---I know I have.  You have impressive goals with the big 4-0 looming in the distance.  40 isn't so bad (or so I've heard---Matt can confirm---ha!).  Have a safe and enjoyable NYE everyone---lots to look forward to in 2013!

Robin

Kellie39 - 2012-12-31 1:22 PM

2012-12-31 5:27 PM
in reply to: #4555566

User image

Master
Straight outta Compton
RobinRN - 2012-12-31 3:06 PM

Hi Kellie---welcome to the group!  I think you'll find a tremendous amount of support and encouragement here---I know I have.  You have impressive goals with the big 4-0 looming in the distance.  40 isn't so bad (or so I've heard---Matt can confirm---ha!).  Have a safe and enjoyable NYE everyone---lots to look forward to in 2013!

Robin

Kellie39 - 2012-12-31 1:22 PM

LOL- thanks for calling me out there, Robin.

Yes, I turned 40 last year.  I like to think that 40 starts the 2nd, more graceful half of my life!  I can tell you through a steady diet of yoga that I am in better shape than I was at 39!!

2012-12-31 9:28 PM

New user

Hello! I'd like to be in this group. The last time I did a tri was 2008. In 2009 and 2010 I ran the Cherry Blossom 10 miler and have been a bit lazy in 2011 and injuried in 2012. So I've just signed up for sprint tri in April 2013. I need some motiviation, and encouragement and some training advice. Looking forward to the group!!

Thanks!!
Me
2013-01-01 4:33 AM
in reply to: #4555528

User image

mcgilmartin - 2012-12-31 3:36 PM

You are too funny Matt, however I am totally doubting my sanity when I signed up for that bike event...WAHT WAS I THINKING??? 

On another note, I signed up for a 140.6 relay. I'll be doing the bike portion. The next day I am signed up for a century. I did the metric century of this event last year and it was quite long, so I don't doubt that I'll be doing over 100 for the full century. That should give me at least 220 miles in 2 days. 

My team and I are also planning on a camp in Switzerland sometime this spring/summer. We may get to do a couple camps, but I think the Switzerland camp is all but a guarantee at this point. We're also trying to get into a big event in Belgium in April, but that's still TBA. I'm not sure if we were planning on another camp possibly in the Pyrenees or just wait until September, but hopefully once the weather turns nice we can get out on the roads more. The temperatures have been in the low-to-mid 40's, but it's been crazy rainy, which is what stops me, and the fact that it's dark when I leave for work in the morning and dark by the time I get home (even when I get off early which is around 4:30-5pm). 

Welcome to the group Kellie! Matt is a great leader of our motley little crew here and everyone is very supportive. Swimming is Matt's thing, so he can probably answer ALL of your questions as well as some you didn't even know you had! Good luck in your training and hopefully we'll get to see lots of PR's headed your way!

2013-01-01 4:37 AM
in reply to: #4555926

User image

Jus_Me - 2012-12-31 9:28 PM Hello! I'd like to be in this group. The last time I did a tri was 2008. In 2009 and 2010 I ran the Cherry Blossom 10 miler and have been a bit lazy in 2011 and injuried in 2012. So I've just signed up for sprint tri in April 2013. I need some motiviation, and encouragement and some training advice. Looking forward to the group!! Thanks!! Me

Welcome to the group Me!

What kinds of injuries did you have in 2012 and how has your recovery been? What kind of training advice would you like? Matt is our resident Michael Phelps, so he's your man for any questions you might have regarding water related events.

If I'm not mistaken, Robin did the Cherry Blossom last year, so if you're in the DC area, you might be able to get with her regarding other events in that region. 

What tri did you sign up for and what distance is it? 

Lots of encouraging folks here as well as training advice, so feel free to jump right in!

2013-01-01 6:06 AM

User image

Did anyone sign up for the Strava Base Mile Challenge? It starts 1/1/13 and goes through 1/31/13. There are two options - the running challenge and the cycling challenge.
2013-01-01 7:51 AM
in reply to: #4556019

User image

Regular
Olney, Maryland
mmez - 2013-01-01 5:37 AM

If I'm not mistaken, Robin did the Cherry Blossom last year, so if you're in the DC area, you might be able to get with her regarding other events in that region. 

Yep--I did Cherry Blossom last year and will be doing it again this year in April.  The other DC races that I'm going to be doing are the Rock-n-Roll half marathon in March and the Nike Women's half marathon in April.  Tentatively, I'd like to run the Marine Corps Marathon again this fall (Matt---can I lure you here for this one?).  Jus_Me--are you in the DC area?  I live in Bethesda (Montgomery County) and will be starting a new job next week in Arlington, VA (not sure how nasty that commute is going to be). This winter, I am participating in the Montgomery County Road Runner's Winter Half Marathon training program---we are divided into pace groups and do track workouts together on Wed night and long runs together on Sunday mornings.  Their full marathon training program, which starts in the spring, is also phenomenal.  I tend to be a loner when I run but have vowed to stick with their programs this year in the hope to increase speed (I am S-L-O-W!).  If you're in this area and preparing for a tri, you might really enjoy the support and activities of the DC Tri Club as well.  Let me know if I can help point you in the right direction for any resources in the DC metro area.  I'm also keen on doing the Ragnar Relay (Cumberland to DC) in October---I did it last year and it was an absolute blast.  I'm keeping my eyes open for a good beginner sprint tri for my first one this year---maybe the Tri Rock Annapolis or the Iron Girl Rocky Gap.  Still haven't been able to get over my fear of the bike---to say that it intimidates me is an understatement! 

2013-01-01 10:18 AM

Hey everyone! Happy New Year!  It's a great day to evaluate your last year, and set some new goals!  I love hearing what everyone is planning on doing this upcoming year! 

Matt-thanks for all of the awesome support and questions answered during the previous year.  I hope you understand the impact you have made in all of our lives-give yourself a pat on the back. 

As for me, my goal is to do at least three triathlons, two sprint and one olympic. From there, I'll play it by ear and it will strongly depend on my situation and availability to train.  Last year my only goal was to do a sprint triathlon and I ended up doing that, 5ks, mud run, half marathon!   I have some major life resolutions outside of triathlon/sports, and I have clearly learned from my previous year that balance is very important.  So while I would love to entertain the thought of a half ironman in a year, it's not feasable for me right now.  (BUT who knows what the next 3 years would bring). 

Happy training everyone!  I'm looking forward to the New Year!

2013-01-01 12:26 PM

User image

New user
Western North Carolina

Happy New Year! Sounds like everyone has a lot of exciting races to look forward to.

After all the eating and sleeping and wine over the last few weeks, it's time for me to get in gear! One of my biggest goals is to find a solution for all of my sinus infections, I am currently getting over my seventh for the year. It's really hard to train or be consistent when I can't breathe.

The half iron in September is my biggest goal, but I'm breaking it down and planning to do three other races first to build up to it. I'm registered for my first half marathon in April, then my first Olympic in June with another in August, then the half. Hopefully that is a good strategy. And of course the Spartan race in March, have to have some mud in there too!

I also ordered a trainer - I had less money than I expected, so I went for this one, it got really good reviews. The Blackburn Tech Mag 6, www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002RQLYRI/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00

Happy training everyone!

2013-01-01 6:58 PM
in reply to: #4555512

Hey, iam from Huxley. About 25 miles north of Des Moines. I work in Des Moines. Iam really excited to meet new people and start training. What do you recommend to start out swimming? Let me know if the Des Moines guy signs up again. It would be nice to have someone close by to train with. Kellie.
2013-01-01 7:06 PM
in reply to: #4555677

Thanks robin and matt. Yes 40 is coming, and I have LOTS to accomplish before then. I think I need to get signed up for some races. Talk to you all soon. Kellie.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » mcgilmartin's 2013 Mentor Group~ let's get swimming! CLOSED FOR TRAINING Rss Feed  

of 23