BT Development Mentor Program Archives » mcgilmartin's 2013 Mentor Group~ let's get swimming! CLOSED FOR TRAINING Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 23

2013-05-03 7:46 PM
in reply to: #4725071

User image

New user
Western North Carolina
Subject: RE: mcgilmartin's 2013 Mentor Group~ let's get swimming! CLOSED FOR TRAINING

Thanks Matt!I'm planning to continue doing a mixture of long runs, tempo runs and speedwork but also add in hill runs. Maybe one day I'll get to 2800 feet... 

mcgilmartin - 2013-05-01 7:37 PM

Jenheaslip - 2013-04-21 3:35 PM A question on elevation: The GPS says elev. gain 2844 feet, and the course map shows a height of just above 2800. Underneath the map there's a footnote that says elev. +1893. So does that mean an elev. gain of 1800 or 2800? I'd like to know so that I can choose my next few trail runs appropriately. I don't want much more elevation than what I ran Saturday!

USATF will take the course map as law, although your GPS might be right for the exact path you were on.

Regarding the footnote- that means that the course "real elevation change" was +1893, the +2800 probably means from sea level. Since you didn't start at sea level, your "real" change was 1893.  I know it's kind of a deflating feeling.  When I climbed 14'ers in Colorado, the "real" elevation change was sometimes only 4,000 feet since the base of the hill is already 10,000 feet above sea level.  +1893 is nothing to be ashamed of though, and that's one heck of a pace you held.

2013-05-06 7:24 PM
in reply to: #4552506

User image

Master
Straight outta Compton
Subject: RE: mcgilmartin's 2013 Mentor Group~ let's get swimming! CLOSED FOR TRAINING

Hey All,

Looks like we got archived.  There are a few options we have going forward:

1) We can leave the group in its current archived state.  You can still post as if this were in the current season forum, but the result of it being archived means no new members.

2) I can get a new group started for the summer months.  I know I've been offline a lot this spring, I had some problems with people Googling me and following me here.  It was unsettling.  Whatever though, not like we're hiding anything, right?  I'm happy to open up a new one and add a few new people.

3) You guys are certainly free to join other mentoring groups if you want to.  I love having you all here but I totally understand if another group can tailor your experience better.  Most of the mentors are awesome people with incredible knowledge.

Let me know what everyone's preference is.  This is a Republic, not a dictatorship

M

2013-05-07 8:02 PM
in reply to: #4730311

I'm good with starting a new one so other people can join also and we can keep going.
2013-05-12 6:51 PM
in reply to: #4732297

Hey Team.  I don't know if we're still continuing but I'll give you my race report since we all started together.  Yesterday was my first triathlon, and it was an olympic distance tri starting with a swim in Yokohama bay.  I have been nursing a foot injury for about a month and a half and haven't been able to run more than a half mile without sharp joint pain.  X-rays showed no signs of stress fracture, and physical therapy recommended some strength exercises and shoe inserts.  Well, I walked in to the triathlon not sure if I'd even be able to push through 6.2 miles since the last time I ran that distance was in early March, but the event was non-refundable and I had planned for a year for this event, so I had to do it.  I've been consistent on my swim training, exceeding 10K meters per month in the pool for the past 8 months, so I felt comfortable with that, and I wasn't worried about the bike.

So lets get to the race.  The swim started off in the water with a wave of my fellow 30-34 age males.  The water was colder than what I was used to in the pool, but I figured once I got moving I would warm up.  Well, I got moving and was feeling good for about 50 meters even though I was constantly bumping into people.  I created some distance so I can swim freely and just went at it.  About 30 seconds later, I looked up and found myself way off to the side and guys in kayaks screaming at me in Japanese, pointing to the direction I was supposed to go.  Right...where everyone else is.  So I put my head back in the water and started swimming in that direction until I bumped into someone.  Good, I'm back on track.  I started swimming again towards the bouys and looked up again about 30 seconds later.  DAMN IT! I can't swim a straight line to save my life.  Finding myself off to the side again, but this time on the other side, I noticed a trend and would only swim 5 strokes before looking up.  This killed my momentum.  My breathing suffered.  The technique I've been working on for months went out the window and I started to feel like I did last year when I first started swimming laps.  Exhausted after every few minutes of swimming, I'd stop to catch my breath again.  I think anxiety set in, nerves got the best of me, and to top it off, my legs started to cramp in the cold water.  Well, I finished the distance but couldn't continue on to the bike because I exceeded the swim time limit of 45 minutes.  I climbed out of the water at around 50 minutes with cramped legs, jelly arms, out of breath, and dizzy.  The race volunteers gave me a bottle of water, gave the guy that got out of the water immediately after me a bag to puke in, and had us both sit down to turn in our timer chips.

This is frustrating because I consistently reach 1500 meters in the pool in less than 40 minutes, feeling good enough to continue swimming.  After swimming regularly for a year, and putting myself on a training plan since January, I'm officially ending my first triathlon with a big fat DNF.  Completely demoralizing to say the least.  Well, if it wasn't the swim that killed my chances, it probably would have been the run since I still have that joint pain.

I wish I could share a success story, but I'm afraid you'll have to wait until my next tri.  I'll bounce back from this one and tackle the next race with a vengeance.  I'm thinking I need more focus in the pool rather than just swimming laps.  I need lessons and definitely more open water swimming experience.  Lesson learned for fellow beginners: practice in the open water and practice sighting.  Pool swimming can only help so much.

2013-05-12 10:21 PM
in reply to: #4552506

User image

Master
Straight outta Compton
Don, don't shake your head and be down on yourself.  OWS is a different beast.  You're no longer an OWS virgin, the next one will be a piece of cake, I guarantee.  I still think you did a heck of a job.
2013-05-12 11:28 PM
in reply to: #4739147

Thanks Matt.  I'm not one to wallow in self-pity (at least not for more than a day!), but like most type A's, I don't take it lightly.  I do think that the OWS, however bad, was a much needed experience for me.  In the end it will only make me a stronger swimmer.

2013-05-14 8:44 PM
in reply to: #4739192

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL

DONOR711 - 2013-05-12 11:28 PM Thanks Matt.  I'm not one to wallow in self-pity (at least not for more than a day!), but like most type A's, I don't take it lightly.  I do think that the OWS, however bad, was a much needed experience for me.  In the end it will only make me a stronger swimmer.

Yes  I agree with Matt.  Good work!   Hey all this learning and such is the "fun part"    I really have trouble swimming straight in open water as well.     My trick is to look for someone who I think IS swimming straight and at a good speed for me,  then draft off  them only occasionally looking up to make sure that THEY know what they are doing.  ha!  I would say 60% of the time it WORKS! 

2013-05-15 6:12 PM
in reply to: #4742770

Thanks Dave.  I'll keep that in mind next time.  I just got used to looking straight down when I swim. 
2013-05-16 3:10 PM
in reply to: #4744436

User image

Master
Straight outta Compton

DONOR711 - 2013-05-15 6:12 PM Thanks Dave.  I'll keep that in mind next time.  I just got used to looking straight down when I swim. 

Don, yes, sighting is a huge part of OWS.  You should practice every fifth stroke in the pool.  Dave has it right though, let someone else do the heavy lifting for you if you can

Are you scheduled for another race yet?

2013-05-16 7:55 PM
in reply to: #4745775

There's a sprint at the end of June that I was planning on doing.  It's a pool swim though. My next open water event is in the end of August.  I may try to sign up for something sooner than that.
2013-05-16 8:01 PM
in reply to: #4738933

User image

New user
Western North Carolina

OWS are very different from a pool swim but you have to do them to get them right, so look on the bright side, you got the bad experience out of the way and now you're ready! I practiced sighting in the pool, trying to look up at a certain spot (pretending it was a buoy) at least once every 25meters and it helped some. Bumping off people was what really threw me. I found a local OWS clinic not far from me and that was what really prepared me. Are there any such clinics out your way?

How is your foot by the way?

DONOR711 - 2013-05-11 7:51 PM

Hey Team.  I don't know if we're still continuing but I'll give you my race report since we all started together.  Yesterday was my first triathlon, and it was an olympic distance tri starting with a swim in Yokohama bay.  I have been nursing a foot injury for about a month and a half and haven't been able to run more than a half mile without sharp joint pain.  X-rays showed no signs of stress fracture, and physical therapy recommended some strength exercises and shoe inserts.  Well, I walked in to the triathlon not sure if I'd even be able to push through 6.2 miles since the last time I ran that distance was in early March, but the event was non-refundable and I had planned for a year for this event, so I had to do it.  I've been consistent on my swim training, exceeding 10K meters per month in the pool for the past 8 months, so I felt comfortable with that, and I wasn't worried about the bike.

So lets get to the race.  The swim started off in the water with a wave of my fellow 30-34 age males.  The water was colder than what I was used to in the pool, but I figured once I got moving I would warm up.  Well, I got moving and was feeling good for about 50 meters even though I was constantly bumping into people.  I created some distance so I can swim freely and just went at it.  About 30 seconds later, I looked up and found myself way off to the side and guys in kayaks screaming at me in Japanese, pointing to the direction I was supposed to go.  Right...where everyone else is.  So I put my head back in the water and started swimming in that direction until I bumped into someone.  Good, I'm back on track.  I started swimming again towards the bouys and looked up again about 30 seconds later.  DAMN IT! I can't swim a straight line to save my life.  Finding myself off to the side again, but this time on the other side, I noticed a trend and would only swim 5 strokes before looking up.  This killed my momentum.  My breathing suffered.  The technique I've been working on for months went out the window and I started to feel like I did last year when I first started swimming laps.  Exhausted after every few minutes of swimming, I'd stop to catch my breath again.  I think anxiety set in, nerves got the best of me, and to top it off, my legs started to cramp in the cold water.  Well, I finished the distance but couldn't continue on to the bike because I exceeded the swim time limit of 45 minutes.  I climbed out of the water at around 50 minutes with cramped legs, jelly arms, out of breath, and dizzy.  The race volunteers gave me a bottle of water, gave the guy that got out of the water immediately after me a bag to puke in, and had us both sit down to turn in our timer chips.

This is frustrating because I consistently reach 1500 meters in the pool in less than 40 minutes, feeling good enough to continue swimming.  After swimming regularly for a year, and putting myself on a training plan since January, I'm officially ending my first triathlon with a big fat DNF.  Completely demoralizing to say the least.  Well, if it wasn't the swim that killed my chances, it probably would have been the run since I still have that joint pain.

I wish I could share a success story, but I'm afraid you'll have to wait until my next tri.  I'll bounce back from this one and tackle the next race with a vengeance.  I'm thinking I need more focus in the pool rather than just swimming laps.  I need lessons and definitely more open water swimming experience.  Lesson learned for fellow beginners: practice in the open water and practice sighting.  Pool swimming can only help so much.

2013-05-16 8:03 PM
in reply to: #4746168

User image

Master
Straight outta Compton

DONOR711 - 2013-05-16 7:55 PM There's a sprint at the end of June that I was planning on doing.  It's a pool swim though. My next open water event is in the end of August.  I may try to sign up for something sooner than that.

I think the pool swim will be a good confidence builder for you.  The bike is the most fun part of a tri, once you complete one tri completely you'll race to get out of the water so you can hop on your bike

2013-05-16 8:03 PM
in reply to: #4746168

User image

Master
Straight outta Compton

DONOR711 - 2013-05-16 7:55 PM There's a sprint at the end of June that I was planning on doing.  It's a pool swim though. My next open water event is in the end of August.  I may try to sign up for something sooner than that.

I think the pool swim will be a good confidence builder for you.  The bike is the most fun part of a tri, once you complete one tri completely you'll race to get out of the water so you can hop on your bike

2013-05-17 1:01 AM
in reply to: #4746178

Jen, I don't know of any OWS clinics out here, but I'm sure there are some.  That is something I would be interested in though.

The foot is still not 100%.  I can walk, swim, and bike on it all day, but the impact from running is what brings on the joint pain.  I'm going to give it a few more weeks before trying to run on it again. 

2013-05-17 1:44 PM
in reply to: DONOR711

User image

Master
Straight outta Compton
So was anyone else kind of surprised to log in this morning? I personally think the new design is great. What say you?
2013-06-02 8:11 PM
in reply to: mcgilmartin

OK I'm logging in for the first time in a few weeks, I thought I was on the wrong website. I am going to try to figure this new website stuff later. LOL. I need to post about my race back on May 18. I'm assuming a "new thread" will do it. (?)

2013-06-02 9:53 PM
in reply to: newbie99

I did my second sprint tri May 18. I did this race last year, and it is super great for beginners. They do a timed pool swim, and the bike and run is in a state park.

I was training pretty consistently for awhile before the race. Before I get in to the race details, I should explain my two weeks prior to the race.

1. I got a cold that should have been resolved in about 7 days, but lasted 14 days. It was the kind of virus which halted EVERY attempt of training. Even going outside to run or bike created a coughing or sneezing spell within the first two minutes of training. Last year when I signed up for BT, I thought my allergies would keep me from training and performing outside-but last year was great. This year was great until I got my cold.

2. Cold weather and scheduling problems resulted in only TWO days of outdoor biking prior to the race.

3. I have to train on my lunch break (and outside on Wednesday afternoons if weather permits). Three weeks prior to the race my workplace turned into a nightmare, I had to work over and no lunch breaks, so no real training. My very close friend who I have worked side by side for over 9 years turned in her notice and her last day to work was May 17, the day before my race. I was emotionally shot.

I was depressed, overworked, tired, and sick. I thought about not going to the race, then I realized that the race was what was keeping me sane and I wasn't going to let two or three bad weeks ruin what I had been working on for 4 months. Two weeks prior to the race, I started re-directing my thoughts from my only goal to take 5 min off of last year's time, to "this is NOW your FUN race, treat it that way". I knew I couldn't race hard with my allergies as bad as they were. Oh, and I am a hard-core "no medicine on race day other than ibuprofen or Tylenol" nurse. Some of the ingredients of the allergy medicines can mess with heart rate.

On race day, I got there about an hour and a half before the race began, found a sweet parking spot close to transition. I was so calm it frightened me. The whole "have fun" thing changed my entire perspective. I was afraid that the lack of adrenaline would cost me some time. I got my bike into transition, unpacked, laid out my stuff, looked around and just watched people. I was a little worried about my allergies, I packed about 15 Kleenex to grab for the run because I knew I would need them and I'm just not coordinated enough to blow my nose while on the bike and NOT WILLING to do the alternative. Prior to the race, people were warming up in to the pool and climbing out crying about how cold the water was. The day before I had felt the water and it was pretty warm, but it rained all night and dropped the temp. I firmly decided NOT to get into the pool prior to the race-no reason in stressing your body out with the cold to "warm-up" for a 200meter swim. I heard a few people say "you can't breathe until about a minute into it, the cold will take your breath away". In fact, I didn't warm up at all.

Swim time started, and I noticed just like last year, after the first 50 people in the pool, it was the usual congested, backed-up, cant go anywhere kind of pool swim it was last year. My first mistake-putting in a slower swim time start. I won't make this mistake next year. It is way better to be someone that others are trying to pass than the person who is trying to get around the people in front of you. Oh, and I couldn't breathe the first 25 meters, it was that cold. I was trying to breathe in and out, but there was no air moving because of the shock of the cold. I slapped the guys feet in front of me five times and he wasn't moving over, so I tried to go around him but there were two other people beside him in the lane. So I did a couple of breast stroke, side stroke, looked around to see what was going on until I could get a clear shot around them and swam on. Not a big deal. My mom and little boy were standing on the side of the pool, I waved at them three times during the swim. LOL! Swim time was only a few seconds different than last year.

I had to put on a pair of swim shoes to run in transition-it was a little over .1 of a mile and I can not run barefoot. I lost 5 seconds putting the shoes on but gained it when I was able to actually run. Transition was easy and non eventful. I actually watched a few other people, learned some things about people who are nervous and moving faster than they should (dropped items, equipment problems).

On to the bike! I wear the same shoes and socks for bike and run, and I wasn't thinking that since the road was wet that my shoes would get soaked, and I wore some socks that I shouldn't have. I really didn't notice it until the end of the race-thank goodness it was a sprint. My bike was making a real great clackity noise, it took me two miles to figure out what it was. The bike monitor on the wheel got moved somehow and it was clicking up against the magnet on the spoke. I figured that out after my bike computer shut off. They had every mile marked on the course, so it didn't bother me too much. I was within a second of getting a penalty for drafting because I wasn't paying attention to what I was doing. I was thinking "why isn't that tri bike whizzing past me, I hear them all coming" when I turned around to see the USAT motorcycle watching me. I did the same drafting thing last year, I can't help it, that's the way I drive too. The bike went well, I didn't push it too hard because I was afraid I would start coughing. I biked nearly the exact same time I did last year.

Then there was T2. After I got off the bike, and bent over to grab my visor and race belt, my allergies went FULL FORCE. I turned into CUJO. I inhaled really hard and got a pound of phlegm into my lung (sorry to be so brutal, but it is what it is). I hacked, coughed, people thought I was dying. I was just trying to show them my 15 Kleenex and that I was prepared for it. I heard a "bless your heart". I got laughed at a couple of times for running and blowing my nose with Kleenex. I laughed too, because you have to be stupid to do a race in that kind of condition.

I hate running, by the way. Even on a good day, it is just hard for me to move my feet forward. My nose was running so bad that I had a hard time getting hands free to put on my race belt. Two minutes into my race, I had used all the Kleenex, and I had two humps on my back where I was stuffing the used Kleenex into my tri shirt pockets-don't want a littering penalty(!). I gave myself permission to walk. For my pitiful two mile run, I walked FIVE times. Last year when I got to the big hill, I panicked and wondered if I could really run up the hill, this year when I looked up at it, I was thinking "Is that the same hill? What was I whining about last year?" I'm not sure if it was all the walking during the race, or all the running I have done in the past year, but that hill did not look anywhere near as big.

At the end of the race, I was sure my time would be way worse than last year. I was ok with that, considering I had a hard time breathing. At first I wasn't even going to look at my time, and I hadn't even set my watch at the beginning of the race because I was so determined to "have fun" and "enjoy myself". I thought I bombed the run, after walking five times in two miles. I was very happy I did the race, I had a load of fun, I am even more addicted to this kind of racing than ever before.

Of course I eventually checked my time, and could not believe I actually took off 30 seconds of overall time. I only added one minute to my run from last year ( last year I ran the whole thing). Now that's something to laugh about.

It doesn't matter how bad you think the race goes-it's all in your perspective and what you learn from it! In the words of my ex: "ADAPT and OVERCOME"

-CUJO

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » mcgilmartin's 2013 Mentor Group~ let's get swimming! CLOSED FOR TRAINING Rss Feed  

of 23