Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 5

2013-01-10 11:16 AM

User image

Veteran
Chesapeake, VA
Subject: Give it a Tri - CLOSED

?Start: Now

Focus: Completion of first.  Sprint, Oly or just get into good exercise habit.

Name: username: mikerunkle.  First name: mike

Story: Have been doing Tri's for 10 years, off and on.  Started out with just being curious while in hawaii where Triathlons are every weekend and you can't avoid hearing about Ironman.  I'm active duty Navy and have tried to at least stay in triathlon-capable shape over this ten year period.  Have dozens of sprints, a few Oly or odd-ball distances and completed first IM at IMFL 2011.  I can provide experience and perspective on how to get into Tri but also manage a full-time life.  I do not currently  have any 2013 races planned.  Actually going to play sherpa for my wife who has just joined a Tri-club at our local YMCA and will run her first this April.  She doesn't want my help or advice, so I need to channel my need to assist into this group.

Family Status: Married w/ kids

Training:  Just getting back into consistent training following a very long break after IMFL.  Break due to injury, motivation and work issues.  I think being a mentor can help motivate me to get my act back together and either find a 2013 race or really get up and go for 2014.

Races:  Last tri: IMFL 2011.  Last race:  Hero Rush adventure race; summer 2012.

Sked races 2013: None, yet.

Weightloss: You can't help but lose weight training for Tri, but this isn't something I've had to face, so my advice here may be less than useful.

What will make me a good mentor:  I have experience with races and managing complex issues of life that always provide a good reason to NOT workout.  I'm an 18-year Navy diver and have been all over the world, so I understand pressure and complications.  Leading, advising and mentoring people is part of my job description as a naval officer, so I do have the ability to motivate and understand people.

Edited by mikerunkle 2013-02-02 3:21 PM

2013-01-11 9:42 AM
in reply to: #4571947

User image

New user

Thomasville
Subject: RE: Give it a Tri - Open

Would be honored if you would have me:

Name:  Taylor (29 Male)

Story:  Quit smoking 3 years ago, and started the C25K.  Had an illness that set me back, and had to quit running.  Finally in July of 2012, the wife and I started cycling for recreation (not fitness at the time) and absolutely loved it.  I purchased my first road bike in August 2012, and haven’t looked back since.  Shortly after, I started and completed the C25K.  I now run 8-12 miles a week, bike at least 30 miles on Saturday (60 this weekend), and swim ¾ mile 3 times a week.  I haven’t completed a Tri yet, but look to do 2-3 sprints this year.

Family Status:  Married 3 years to my wonderful wife.  No kids yet, but 2 dogs Jazz (Bichon) and Kota (Golden) who is my running partner.

Job:  I am in order entry for a local boiler manufacturing company.  Just started back at the College for an Associates in Business Management.

Current Training:  Run 2-3 days a week; swim 3 times a week; weight training twice a week;bike 30-45 miles every Saturday.  Going to start spin classes again in the mornings to help my cycling strength.

Last Year's Races:  I ran my first (2) 5Ks last year.  10/13/12 Run For Rover (Ran with Kota) 28:32 and 12/15/12 Red Nose Run 26:13.

2013 Races:  None on the books yet, but I am looking to do 2-3 Sprint Triathlons this year.  With 5-10k runs, and cycling events thrown in.  I do plan on doing a local (non-timed) Color Dash with my wife in February.  It will be her first 5k in 3 years.

Weight Loss: After the illness mentioned above a few years ago, I was down to 175.  After different medications and such I got up to 215.  I am now at 192, and really don’t want to lose too much more, maybe down to 188.  Looking mostly to tone right now.

2013-01-17 1:17 PM
in reply to: #4573743

User image

Veteran
Chesapeake, VA

Taylor,

Welcome.  I know you posted a few days ago, but this group just made it into the OPEN section today.  Looks to me like you've got a great start to meeting your goals for a first (and second and third) Triathlon.  My role will be to give tips, advice and answer any questions you might have.  I do check this forum regularly, so I should be easy to reach.

Talk to you soon

r/

Mike

2013-01-17 3:11 PM

User image

New user

Thomasville
Thanks Mike.  Yeah, I jumped the gun a little early on that one.  Can't wait for some tips/advice when needed.  First Tri will be the Red Hills Tri (Sprint) in Tallahassee, FL.  3/30
2013-01-18 8:46 AM
in reply to: #4583124

User image

Veteran
Chesapeake, VA

Taylor,

With you already working out consistently on the three disciplines, I'd like to suggest to start to combine two in order to see how the transition feels.

Swim to Run can be awkward.  (You will run from the swim exit to where-ever your bike is positioned)  I had a race once where the bike rack was 1/2 mile from the swim exit (and across a road).  You'd be surprised how disorienting that can be.

Bike to Run is also awkward and needs to be practiced a few times.  Depending on how hard you hammer your legs on the bike, you may look like a newborn foal trying to walk.

r/

Mike

2013-01-23 1:57 PM

User image

New user

Mike - I too would be honored to have you as a mentor... thank you for your service.

Name: Matt, age 38 from Marion, AR

Story: I was essentially a couch potato from age 30 until last year. Finally got tired of feeling lethargic and overweight and started running about a year ago. Loved the feeling of satisfaction after a run and the positive physical and mental benefits. Overall I ran over 1300 miles in 2012 and improved my diet - lost about 30 lbs. in the process. Did three 5k's last year just to get my feet wet with racing, but am really wanting to diversify my training and triathlons really appeal to me.

Current Training: Currently run 5 days a week for a weekly total of 30-40 miles. Hoping to mix in some bicycling when it warms up a little more. I do a little bit of strength training with curl bar, push ups, sit ups... but nothing consistent

Family Status: Married with 2 grade-school kids

2013 Races: Going to try either a Sprint Tri or Olympic Tri in May. Haven't decided which to shoot for. Fall / Winter I plan on doing at least one 10K and then a 1/2 marathon.

Weight Loss: Gained a few pounds over the holidays, but most of that is disappearing now. Would like to lose about 10 more pounds to get to around 190.

I'm really looking forward to the challenge of the tri sport, but I'll definitely have some questions along the way!

2013-01-24 5:19 AM

User image

New user

G'Day All,

looking for a bit more info and sometimes motivation, as I am brand new to tri.

Name: Leila (37)

Story: never been an athlete, but always enjoyed cycling and swimming (hated running). My friend got us into this, did a mini tri last November and now my first sprint distance in Feb and again in May. Have finally mastered to run (shuffle) for 60min, but am pain stakingly slow. Actually really enjoy training first thing in the morning now - guess that will change in winter...

Family: married, 2 (adult) kids

Job: chief engineer

Current training: 2x swimming, 2x running, 2x cycling (on an old mountain bike), 1x yoga

2012 races: fun walks, tri-a-tri

2013 races: Feb in Huskisson, May in Port Stephens, both sprint distance.

Weightloss: not a main focus (anymore - happy to be a fit + slightly overweight)

What makes me a good mentee? I am really keen to learn more and have trillions of questions

Cheerio, Leila

2013-01-24 2:12 PM
in reply to: #4591447

User image

Veteran
Chesapeake, VA

Matt,

Welcome and glad to have you aboard.  Good on you for making the decision to get up and go.  Tri's can be a great deal of fun, and the training is convenient in that when you don't feel like running you can go swim or bike instead and count that as progress in your new chosen sport.

Do you have bike yet and can you get it on a trainer indoors?  Waiting for better weather may not leave you enough time to get comfortable before your chosen race.

R/

Mike

2013-01-24 2:16 PM
in reply to: #4592297

User image

Veteran
Chesapeake, VA

Leila,

Hello to down under and welcome.  Looks like you've got a good training routine going. Don't sweat using a mountain bike.  I was on a cheap mountain bike for my first year and a half (about 7 races).  Then upgraded to a really cheap, frankenstein road bike.  Its more about the engine than the bike. Wink

Bring on the questions.  If I don't know the answer, I promise to make something up that sounds reasonable and make you happy...  oh, ok maybe I'll help you look up the real answer if I don't know.

r/

Mike

2013-01-24 2:17 PM

User image

New user

Fredericksburg

I would really appreciate being a part of this group and look forward to getting some help!

Name:  Karen (age 43 female)

Story:  I have always been somewhat active, though it ebbs and flows.  I am the kind of person that needs to register for a race to keep me going.  Otherwise, I totally slack off.  I have walked 3 half-marathons and run/walked 2 - with the Richmond Half being my last in November.  I am s-l-o-w, but I'm Ok with that.  My time is slowly improving, but not that big a deal to me.  I am attempting to get in to triathlons because I like the variety of training, but I am struggling with the swimming portion way more than I had thought.  I also want to keep active to keep my heart healthy - my father suffers from heart disease - and family genes are the #1 risk. 

Family Status:  Married for 10 years to a great husband who is fit (we met at the gym) and super supportive.  He runs way faster than me so when we run races together, we say good-bye at the start, he then will come back and run the last part of the race with me.  We don't have any children, but have 2 dogs and a cat. 

Job:  I am a 5th grade teacher. 

Current Training:  I am following the Beginner Triathlete 16 week program Sprint Run Focused 16 week.  I am training for the Flying Pirate Half Marathon in April in conjunction with the triathlon training.  I am in week 3. 

Last Year's Races:  St. Patrick's Day 8K in DC, Run for the Dream 8K in Wmsburg, and Richmond Half Marathon - finished in 3:11, which is my fastest time yet. 

2013 Races:  Possible St. Patrick's Day 8K again, Flying Pirate Half in April, Ladies' Choice Beginner Tri in May,  Run for the Dream 8K in June.  The organizers of my tri race in May gear themselves toward beginners and have several races throughout the summer.  I attended their ladies' clinic a few weeks ago.  If I surivive the May race, I may register for their August one.  On my recent long runs I've completed 5 miles in 68 min. and 70 minutes (yay!).  I'm shooting to finish the Flying Pirate in 3:00 or less.

Weight Loss: I am still considered in the "normal" range, but pushing being overweight.  I am a shorty at 5'2" and weigh about 133.  I would like to get down to 120-125 and see what my body looks like there.  I have a sweet tooth and that is my weakness. . .

2013-01-24 3:17 PM
in reply to: #4593235

User image

New user

Mike,

Thanks for the response. The only bike I currently have is a Schwinn 7-Speed beach cruiser - not an ideal bike for triathlon! But will it be OK just for racking up some training miles for now? I didn't even know they made indoor trainers that you could mount your bike on - I'll probably avoid that expense for now and just get out and ride. I run in the cold, so biking can't be too much worse. I'll probably try to find an old road bike for cheap pretty soon.

One thing I'm wondering about is this - I usually don't have access to a pool until May or June when our family gets a membership at the local YMCA. Would I be an idiot to try to do the sprint tri in May and it's 1/4 mile swim with no prior training time in the water? I consider myself to be a pretty good swimmer, and if I'm in good running / biking shape, will I be OK? If not, I may join a club to get some training in, but I like to do things as inexpensive as possible when I can! 1/4 mile doesn't seem that far.... I just don't want to end up with a DNF or lungs full of water...

Thanks again for your help.

Matt

2013-01-24 7:06 PM

Hey Mike,

I too would greatly appreciate the opportunity to have you as a tri mentor.  I got this crazy idea in my head that a tri would be the best way to stay motivated running again.  Now I'm in all out training mode but need guidance. 

Name: Jeff, age 29 from Maine

Story: I am getting back into running and working out in general.  I am a mechanic who's main exercise every day was raising a few beers to my mouth after work.  I ran indoor/outdoor track from as far back as I can remember.  After high school I stopped running all together.  I have always weight trained and worked in a gym for a while but it wreaked havoc on my joints.  I eventually gave up training all together are became super lazy.  This year I started running again, but this time distance (I was a hurdler in HS).  I found it to be a great mental de-stresser, but needed a goal.  On one of my longer runs I started thinking about Tri's.  The more I thought about it the more I started telling people I was doing it.  And now it's not just a thought it's all I care about.

Current Training: I am running 3 days a week and biking indoors on a trainer 2 days a week.  Swimming is really going to be my achilles heal.  I currently have only been in the pool a handful of times and need lessons or a swim buddy desperately.  Right now I think I have either a bone bruise or stress fracture in my right foot sustained during an 8 mile run 3 days ago.  Debating whether to pay doc fees or just wait it out.

Family Status: Married

2013 Races: Pirate Tri in Maine (sprint)

Weight Loss: don't need to lose weight per se, I weigh 150 at 5'8 .. would certainly like to increase lean muscle in exchange for a little body fat.

Main Focus: I NEED TO LEARN TO SWIM PROPERLY

Thank you for the opportunity to use your wealth of knowledge and experience

Edited by WarwickE36 2013-01-24 7:07 PM
2013-01-25 1:45 AM

User image

New user

Hi Mike + all other mentees

glad you say that about mountain bikes

I think my main concern at the moment is I am worried about the 750m ocean swim. I have never done an ocean swim before and I train in a 25m pool, so I wonder how much harder it is, when you cannot push off the walls every 25m. And I worry about the waves and other swimmers. My first tri-a-tri was in a lake.

Another thing that I just do not get my head around is training zones, maximum heart rates and training accordingly. I am a new runner. I could only run for 1 min last July/August and have never run more than 400m at school before (and I was bad at that). Sometime last year I read I should breathe in 3 steps, and breathe out 3 steps - that worked great! All of the sudden I could extend my running continuously and did 60min for the first time last week - hard work for me and very slow, but I can do it. Now my heart rate averages 166BPM and speed at 7.6km/h, my resting heart rate is 70 and in my running I have peaked at 194 (cycling 207!). If I understand the charts that I am reading I should train way lower, but then I am sure I will be walking. Am I just so unfit and should not worry about heart rates for a while? I am healthy and I had a full check up last year, incl. 24hr blood pressure monitor, so all is fine there.

Thanks Cheerio, Leila

2013-01-25 4:19 PM
in reply to: #4593248

User image

Veteran
Chesapeake, VA

Karen,

Welcome, happy to have you aboard.  You look like you've got a great plan going, so good on you.  As for swimming difficulty, that is very common.  We are terrestrial animals and many people have difficulty getting their bodies to work in the water.  I've seen countless military diver trainees freak out when their face goes underwater.  Its not a natural occurance and your body instinctively wants to freeze up and go into survival mode.  Thats just an example, and not the issue I suspect you are talking about.  My point is that swimming can take time.  The trick is actually to go SLOWER and relax.  The swim is very much about technique and efficiency of the stroke.  Not power or speed.  Slow is smooth, smooth is fast when it comes to swimming.  Fortunately in a race, the swim is also something you can really just do whatever you want to get through.  Roll over on your back and float, side stroke, breast stroke, doggie paddle...

I'll put out some more swim advice in a minute to the whole group.  Its a very common concern.

r/

Mike

2013-01-25 4:32 PM
in reply to: #4593324

User image

Veteran
Chesapeake, VA

Matt,

I have seen people race on beach cruisers.  In fact, last year I remember a BT'r talk about having to race an Ironman on a single speed (fixie) beach cruiser because their bike was stolen at the airport.  (I think they still had a faster time than I did on my IM!)

As for what your cruiser would do for you...honestly not a whole lot.  If its the style I'm thinking of, unless you plan to race that bike, it really isn't going to do much to prepare your body for the position you'd be in on a road bike or tri-bike.  You may be better off finding a gym and getting on a good spin style bike that will put your legs and torso in the right geometry and just work on building some endurance and leg strength that way.  (No recumbant bike!)

Road bike for cheap can be found pretty easily.  I've always gotten used bikes via ebay or craigslist and haven't had too many issues by doing that.  I'm building my wife's bike via ebay and some online bike shops.  Between the parts I'm salvaging from my old bikes and the online parts, her bike will cost around $250.

The swim. a  1/4mile swim could probably be managed if you have previous experience, but I've always found that swimming endurance drops off very rapidly when on break, so I suspect you will be hurting.  Fortunately, a swim can be floated, back stroke, side stroke, whatever.  So if you can accept a end-of-the-pack finish, you can muddle through a swim of that distance.  You will be tired and your arms exhausted.  You won't need your arms anymore for strength, but if they are very sore, it could affect holding yourself up on the bike.

mmcclain963 - 2013-01-24 4:17 PM

Mike,

Thanks for the response. The only bike I currently have is a Schwinn 7-Speed beach cruiser - not an ideal bike for triathlon! But will it be OK just for racking up some training miles for now? I didn't even know they made indoor trainers that you could mount your bike on - I'll probably avoid that expense for now and just get out and ride. I run in the cold, so biking can't be too much worse. I'll probably try to find an old road bike for cheap pretty soon.

One thing I'm wondering about is this - I usually don't have access to a pool until May or June when our family gets a membership at the local YMCA. Would I be an idiot to try to do the sprint tri in May and it's 1/4 mile swim with no prior training time in the water? I consider myself to be a pretty good swimmer, and if I'm in good running / biking shape, will I be OK? If not, I may join a club to get some training in, but I like to do things as inexpensive as possible when I can! 1/4 mile doesn't seem that far.... I just don't want to end up with a DNF or lungs full of water...

Thanks again for your help.

Matt

2013-01-25 4:52 PM

User image

New user

Mike,

Thanks for the advice. I won't really be satisfied finishing at the back of the pack and have set some specific goals I'd like to reach for each section of the race. I'll be joining a local gym with indoor 40m pool soon. Otherwise it sounds like it could be a real struggle in the water and would probably mess up my biking / running goals too. I don't want my first tri to be miserable and I don't want to barely finish.

You're right about cruiser bike too - it basically has me sitting upright and won't be anything like a road bike. I'll be on the lookout for a road bike as soon as Uncle Sam puts some of my tax money back in my pocket. Have a good weekend.

Matt M.

2013-01-25 5:04 PM

User image

Veteran
Chesapeake, VA

Hey gang,

I've posted some replies concerning swim training, the key being to relax and take it slow in training.  Its about technique and being comfortable in the water more than anything else.

Now, at the risk of derailing any comfort you may have gotten from those tips, lets talk about the open water swim for a triathlon.  It is different in a number of ways from your practice in the pool.  If you want to simulate the start of a triathlon, then go to your local pool.  Wait for the local swim team to start practice and now try to swim across the lanes while they practice up and down.  It is commonly called "The Washing Machine" and can be very intimidating for a new triathlete.  You will bump into people, your hands will smack other hands and feet.  Just when you get into a rhythm, someone will bump you or you'll have to stop and adjust to another direction due to a wall of bodies in front.  This mess will last the first 1/4 or so of the swim until the pack spreads out.  Sorry to scare you but it is a mess that you will just have to experience and deal with.  If this is your first tri, then you aren't looking for any course records anyway, go ahead and put yourself in the back of the pack and let the thrashing thin out before you get in the water.  If your race is a a wave start, the washing machine is much smaller but it will still exist.  People gravitate toward the marker buoys and so even though the group spreads out, it will re-clump up around any turn buoys because people like to cut it close. (ironically, any gains by making the course 20 feet shorter are lost when you have to stop and bounce off people).

So, your form will be slightly different than in the nice relaxed pool, but the endurance you gain from your pool work will be what carries you through.

For your pool work, if you can make yourself comfortable breathing on both sides, you may find it helpful in an openwater swim.  This is difficult to do, as most folks are more comfortable and dominant on one side of their body.  But in an openwater swim, you may find that waves are smacking you in the face on your breathing side, so being able to change up and breath the other side will save you some water ingestion. 

Wow, this advice is less that upbeat. Tongue out  Remember you are NOT the only beginner there.  Everyone is equally nervous about the washing machine, even seasoned athletes.  Start in the back and keep to the outside (away from the buoys) and you will find fewer people in your way.

I'll talk about Heart Rate in my next post a little later tonight.

Edited by mikerunkle 2013-01-25 5:08 PM
2013-01-26 7:02 AM

User image

Veteran
Chesapeake, VA

Hey gang.

Here are some thoughts about training with Heart Rate.  First, don't get too wrapped up with using it.  There are some great articles and forum posts on BT that can give more detail but my summary is that using HR can be a difficult thing to get your head around and cause frustration if you rely on it too much.  What do I mean?

1.  HR thresholds and levels are very specific to your own person.  The charts you can find online based on your age, can be VERY inaccurate.  If you want to get a good HR zone setup for yourself you really need to do a threshold test (described in the articles).  I will tell you these tests can be hard, as they require you to put out maximum effort over a period of time.  For me, its hard to pedal as hard as I can or sprint as fast as I can over the time they proscribe, so I suspect the results I get are probably still a little off.   I did find that my zones were 10-15 off from what the age charts proscribe.   Does that really matter?  Eh, it depends on how intense you want to be in your training.  Some folks love data and numbers.  Some folks work from "feel".  If you are  a data person and want to weigh your bike down to the ounce and your run improvements down to the second, then you may want to have a super accurate HR zone model.  If you base things off of just how it feels to run/bike then it may not matter so much.

2.  Long distance and low HR zone work.  This can be a very confusing thing.  Again, recommend reading the articles about the physiological things going on at low HR exercise, but here's what I do know.  Running long distance in Zone 2 will feel like walking at first.  It will be very frustrating and you will say "This can't be right, my zone must be broken, to hell with this i'm going for a RUN".  I had a very hard time trying to make this work.  I bought into the theory but never could bring myself to swallow my pride any do the super slow shuffle out on the road.  So, you can train for Tri (and Ironman) without needing to sweat the Zone 1, 2, 3 thing.  Could I have been better and more efficient in my running had I stuck with it?  I guess.  But I was happy with just going for a run at a pace I thought comfortable and just increase my distance each time.

Bottom line.  You need to work at a level you are comfortable working at.  I don't mean couch comfortable, but I mean exercise at a pace you feel you can sustain.  HR zones are great targets and metrics to use to track your progress but don't get so wrapped up with them that you think you are doing something wrong.  For your first race, there is already plenty of anxiety in your head, you don't need to add to it now with training drama.

Hope that helps...

2013-01-26 6:59 PM

User image

New user

La Massana, Andorra

Hi everybody,

I'd just written a kind of an application to this mentoring programme when I hit a button which might have been the wrong one because it all suddenly disappeared.

So, in order not to fill up too much space here, I'd just like to know whether there's room for any other triathletes in spe.

Let there be no doubt: I'm a complete beginner- and very motivated.

kind regards

Lars

2013-01-26 7:14 PM

User image

New user

Hi Mike!

Thanks for all the info. I am so not looking forward to the ocean swim now, but at least I can breathe on both sides, float on my back and hopefully will make it through, at the rear end of the pack I am planning to join the local swwim squat for the winter break, so I get plenty of fitness before the next season.

Cheerio, Leila

2013-01-26 9:11 PM

User image

Name: Chris (27)

Story: I started running in 2008 for my first 5k with my now wife.  Since then I run 2-3 5ks a year, to keep me motivated to run, that was until 2011. In 2011 I decided to set a large goal for myself, to run the Marine Corp Marathon (MCM) in Washington DC.  I used a beginners training program and completed the race.  From the marathon experience I know the training involved for running long distances and the stamina that is needed.  I do not know transitioning from swimming to biking to running. I am excited to try out a triathlon, as I think the training will break up the monotony of training for just running.  Its been years since I have done a long swim (pool only).  Now days I typically float and tread water when swimming in a pool or the ocean.  When I was younger I lived on my bike, as many kids do.  I have a decent hardtail mt. bike that I plan to use for the tri with smoother tires. Since I am new to triathlons I have been doing a lot of reading on BT.  The swimming is my greatest concern and I appreciate what has been written already.  On top of swimming any advice on work/family balance while training would be appreciated.  

Family Status: Married w/ 1 kid (9 months)

Training:  Looking to use the 13 wk "Original Sprint" program.

Races:  Never attempted a triathlon before.  MCM in 2011, Virginia Beach 1/2 marathon 2011, and a local 1/2 marathon in 2012.

2013 Races: "Got the Nerve?" sprint in Lancaster PA on May 18. Also, possibly a 1/2 marathon in the spring and fall.

Weightloss: I liked you saying "You can't help but lose weight training for a Tri". I hope this holds true. I am currently hanging around 220 lbs and would like to be below 205 lbs for the race.

I would be honored if you would be willing to mentor me and am excited to give this whole tri thing a try.

Chris

2013-01-26 10:57 PM

Name: Cameron (28)

Story: Recently had our first child and after seeing so many things about childhood obesity i realized that now more than ever i need to be a role model for my child. I want to be an example of good health, strong mind, and true determination. I am tired of making excuses. I figure triathletes have to be some of the most determined people in the world. So i bought a rode bike, some new running shoes and here I am.    

Family Status: Married w/ 1 kid (15 months)

Training:  Working out 5 days a week. Currently using a 12 week program. 

Races: Just 3 5k's

2013 Races: Mean Green Tri- Sprint March 17th. I would like to compete in 2 sprints and possibly 1 Olympic.  

Weightloss: Currently 245lbs, started training at 257lbs 8 weeks ago. Hoping to be at 230 for the March race. 

Hello everyone, glad to meet you. 

2013-01-27 6:57 AM

User image

Veteran
Chesapeake, VA

Lars, Chris and Cameron,

Welcome.  Hope you find this discussion useful as you prepare for your first triathlon(s).

All,

Family balance:  This can be a heck of a thing to balance.  However, crossing the finish line with people cheering for you who know and care who you are is infinitely more satisfying that crossing alone.  Never never never neglect family for a hobby or even work.  Hobbies and jobs end.  Family is forever.  I've found that trying to include the family into the workouts can be effective, even if it compromises you workout goal at the time.  When my kids were younger, I would have them ride their bikes while I ran.  That meant that perhaps I didn't run at the pace or distance I had originally planned, but the run was more interesting and fun (tended to be a good sprint workout as they decided to speed up/slow down to see what they could get daddy to do).  Later, had them run a portion of the course I would be practicing on (run one loop to my five loop routine).  Now, when I go to the YMCA to workout, I take them so they can workout (or play) as they see fit.  

Fortunately for sprint and even olympic distance training, your workouts should be an hour or less, which is the length of exercise you should be doing anyway, for a healthy lifestyle.  Finding a way to incorporate that time with the family without neglecting or adversely impacting your and their routine should be an obtainable goal.  If you decide to step things up to Ironman distances, then you really need to get creative as you may have 2-4 hours workouts.

r/

Mike

2013-01-27 11:20 AM

Hi. My name is Anne. I live in a small town in Alberta, Canada, the two nearest big centres are Calgary and Red Deer. I am a beginner in every sense of the word. I have done a 40 minute 5 k a year ago, that was my first race ever. I finished a twelve k but not well. Had a down year last year personally. I am 39, I have two amazing kids, I have been separated from my husband for the last two years and it has been a crappy legal battle just to get child support and visitation figured out and it doesn't look like the end is sight. The kids and I just moved to a new town, the second of our moves last year, I started a new job, we have had two deaths in my immediate family, my dog, my running partner, died in September, and to say the least I have been feeling emotionally exhausted and would much rather stay in bed some days and cry (and my life is starting to sound like a sad country song!) However, I have two kids depending on my emotional stability, so I don't stay in bed! But I have gained 25 lbs and I don't like where this is heading.I have two great kids that love to swim and last year my son was so pumped about doing his first kid's tri that I got interested in the sport. Unfortunately, he ended up very sick with pneumonia and missed it and was very disappointed, but I promised him I would help for this year and that we can't let dreams die...so for my son, my daughter and me and all our sanity, I am here and I will do this for them and for me. My son's Tri is in May and my Tri is in August. He is a great swimmer, and bike rider and we are working on running together. I am ok at running but I have to start from square one again. I started riding my bike with my son last summer and we both loved it, and swimming is my weakest link. I have spoken to a coach at our local pool and he coaches during lane swim. I will be starting my swimming training this week. (my daughter likes to join us too, she is not interested in doing a Tri yet. She really loves her swimming!)For the winter we have been downhill skiing, and snowshoeing but not enough to make a dent in my waistline. I am a legislative assistant so I sit a good portion of my day. I look forward to getting my feet underneath me again and getting wet behind the ears! Thank you for your time and advice.Anne from the cold white North.
2013-01-27 11:59 AM

Hi Mike,

If you're still accepting newbies I'd be honored to be part of your group.

Name:  Steve (35 Male)

Story:  I've biked recreationally for ~10 years, first mountain biking and now more road biking.  I've always been interested in triathlon, but have never been a swimmer and always dreaded running.  As a busy professional that travels quite often I find getting enough exercise and living healthy to be more and more of a challenge and it seems that an individual sport like triathlon will help me do those things.

Family Status:  Married, no kids.

Job:  Engineer

Current Training:  Historically I've gotten to the gym 2-3 times a week, and in the summer quite a lot of road biking.  In the last few weeks I've started to add swimming and running at the gym.  I've added a Sprint training plan to my profile - it officially started today.

Last Year's Races:  None last year. In the past I've done century rides on the bike, as well as multi-day fundraising rides.  I'm not too interested in 'racing'.

2013 Races:  I'm working toward a sprint at my local YMCA, scheduled for 5/18.  I'll also be looking for a century to do later in the summer.

Weight Loss: I've lost ~10 lbs over the last few months by paying better attention to what I eat and excercising regularly.  I could loose a few more pounds, but I'm fairly happy with where I'm at now.  More interested in overall health.

What will make me a good mentee: I'm disciplined, so I hope that I can stick with the training plan.  I'm also very open to coaching, and interested in finding ways to improve in all areas.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Give it a Tri - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 5