of 5

2013-04-10 7:59 AM
in reply to: #4571947

User image

Veteran
Chesapeake, VA
Subject: RE: Give it a Tri - CLOSED

Hey gang,

Here's something to check out for swimming.  The website is called Swim Smooth.  http://www.swimsmooth.com.  There is a good flash video running on the home page that is just a cartoon video of a swimmer using their stroke technique.  Many have reported success using this technique.  I'm not saying this is THE way to swim, only that it is A way.  I may give this one a try myself, as my in-water pull is still a little muddled.

Cheers

Mike

2013-04-10 7:59 PM
in reply to: #4694377

User image

New user

La Massana, Andorra

I have been watching it a lot and I consider it very useful. Watching other swimmers - even cartoon ones - does help a lot, I think. Looking at their roll, legs, pull, breathing etc. gives a lot of inspiration.

Still, because of my present work timetable I am always swimming alone and I can't ask anybody in situ for advice, so I prefer to address my doubts in this forum. Hope you don't mind.

An example: when I am breathing to the right, my left arm sinks down almost vertically which means that I slow down. As I consider that I am not the only one with that issue, I first prefer asking someone in this forum if it is a question of (shoulder) flexibility, roll, (breathing) technique, arm movements, or something else. 

I have the notion that someones might have somethng to say about this matter.

Anyway, all the best with your training,

Lars

2013-04-13 12:37 PM
in reply to: #4695590

User image

Hi everyone,

Things have been going good for me with my training.  I am getting in a consistent 2 times a week of swimming and riding, along with 1 to 2 times of running.  My swimming is getting better and I am up to 250 yards without stopping.  Overall I am still concerned with my swimming, and I appreciate the smooth swim site.  For the sprint tri, I am signed up for, the swim distance is 500 yards in open water (lake).  My riding is good and I am up to distance with it (16 miles). Next weekend I will try my first block bike/run.

A few questions for everyone.

1) I wont have the chance to practice in a open water situation before the Tri. any techniques to help practice in the pool?  I thought about closing my eyes when swimming, so I am not so dependent on the lane line.

2) I purchased a used wet suit, as it is recommended for the water temps during the tri.  Should I be training with it in the pool?  Anything I should be concerned with in cleaning to insure the pool chemicals are cleaned off? 

3) My typical bike ride is 10-12 miles in a hilly situation.  Typical elevation gain over that distance is 800-1000 feet.  The race has an elevation gain of about 900 ft.  Is it good enough for me to be doing the same elevation gain over a shorter distance, or do I need to up my typical ride distance too? 

Thanks and I wish everyone the best as they continue training.

Chris

2013-04-15 8:25 AM
in reply to: #4698962

User image

Veteran
Chesapeake, VA

Chris,

Glad to hear you are still tracking along your goal.  Here are my thoughts on your questions.

1. Two big differences between pool and lake are: a) the number of people around you, b) no turns and the need to sight as you swim.   There really isn't a way to practice for the crowd.  Just go into the race expecting it to be a little chaotic.  As for sighting, that means to look up and find the buoys, kayaks, boats, land, to make sure you are swimming straight.  This does through off your form or pace, as there isn't a great way to do this smoothly, but you can time it for when you bump into someone and need to break form to figure out where they are going anyway.  For practice, just pick your head up occasionally and sight to the end of the pool deck.  See how long it takes you to read a poster or something on the wall across the pool.

2. Swimming with a wetsuit is different, in that your legs will float more and thus you won't necessarily need to kick as much/hard to keep a good flat body profile.  I would practice with it once or twice just to get a feel for how your range of motion might be affected in the arms and how to get the thing off in a hurry.  Other than that, don't spend too much time in the pool with it as the chlorine will break it down.  There is commercial product available to clean with.  Recommend doing a search in the forums for what it was, as I have never used and don't have specific experience with what works and what doesn't.

3.  For the elevation gain of the race, is that a slow gain over the course or one/two big hills over short interval?  When it comes to biking, the more distance you can get yourself to, the better you will feel.  If you are training for the exact distance, you will be short-changing yourself because in the race you'll already be tired from the swim.  Recommend you try to get to 1.5x to 2x the race distance in your training.  That'll give you the endurance/strength to account for the unexpected as well as put in more speed/effort in the race than you do in training.

Good luck!

2013-04-18 12:02 PM
in reply to: #4700362

User image

Thanks for the response Mike.

About the biking, from the data I have available during the race there is 2 larger
climbs of about 200 feet and a gradual climb between them. I understand what you’re
saying about increasing the distance by 1.5x to 2x. Just for reference it
currently takes me just over an hour for my 13.5 mile rides with hills (paved
roads) and about the same time on a flat 16 mile ride (gravel walking biking
trail). I do realize I need to increase my distance on the hilly rides, as they
are closer to the actual course.

During my swimming this week I tried to sight and it really messed up my stroke. Subconsciously
I am not sure if I should bring my mouth above the water to breath or not. So,
my natural reaction is to breath when sighting and/or tilt my head to the side
to breath as this messes up my stroke rhythm. I will continue to practice and
let you know how it goes. On the plus side I did a constant 500 yards swimming
for the first time ever this week. Huge confidence booster.

Thanks again for your help Mike!

2013-04-30 7:29 AM

User image

Veteran
Chesapeake, VA

Hey gang,

Just checking up on everyone.  How's the training going?  Should have a number of runs and bikes outdoors now that the weather has improved.  You may have found, depending on where you live, that biking indoors on a training gives you a better workout that outdoors (stoplights, traffic, turns, etc).  This is normal.  The biggest difference I find between outdoors and indoors on the bike relates to body position.  When I ride outdoors I hold my head higher and look further down the road than I do indoors looking at my TV.  I also have my helmet on (and the added weight) outdoors.  This can cause me neck pain early in the season since I'm not used to the weight and the higher position.  The only way to get used to it again is to put time in the saddle in this position.  Which means riding outdoors.  I'm very limited in my riding areas where I live now, so I use my outdoor rides for just putting some saddle time and "neck time", rather than any specific workout.  My "real" workouts are done on the trainer where I can focus on my heart rate or cadence or power, or whatever it is I'm supposed to be concentrating on that ride.

Cheers

2013-04-30 1:46 PM

User image

New user

Hi Mike,

I just got back from a long business trip in Europe, which left me tired, with a sore back and untrained - trade fair work, clients and conferences don't make a good training partners

Anyway, started training again on Monday, it is getting dark here early now, although temperatures are still quite high during the day. I have shifted most training indoors now. I have a sprint tri in 3 weeks which I am getting a bit nervous about, but should be getting through ok, even though on a terrible time.

I will then jump into winter maintenance: I have chosen the 20 week 7-10 hour plan for swimming and biking. I will do most biking in the gym and try to get one session in outside on the weekend. My focus during maintenance will be running and I want to follow a different plan there, any suggestions? I am looking at a "12 week 10K training schedule for beginning competitive runners" downloaded from the internet, as I only started just about a year ago with running, I am so slow and really need to work on my running for the next season. I have scheduled 4x 10-14K runs during maintenance and will go back to tris in November. Does that sound like a good plan?

I will also do one session a week with a personal trainer focussing on strength training, which I hate and have left out so far. And one session of stretching should polish the week off. I have also decided to lose some weight during off season, as I think that might benefit my joints, fitness etc. I am slightly overweight and have not been able to shift any weight with all the training I have been doing, so I guess my eating does need a change.

How's your training going and when is your first tri? I envy you guys going into summer now!

Cheerio, Leila

2013-04-30 2:47 PM

User image

Veteran
Chesapeake, VA

Leila,

I do have a thought about run training.  Recommend going to the general talk forum and find my post called "Zone 2 sucks", its still on the front page.  It has some great info in it (not from me).  In short, I've started working on the theory that long slow runs, often, will provide an aerobic base that will benefit your body more than any other type of running.  It'll also teach your body to burn/use fat rather than your glucose/carb stores when exercising.  I've toyed with this theory for a number of years but never committed to it because it frankly is hard to do at first.  Dr Phil Malfettone is the guy who advocates this (I've got one of his books now), and based on the feedback from people who replied to my post, many people are seeing great improvements and benefits from running this way.   Really short version:  1. Find your aerobic heart rate threshold.  The doc says 180-age is usually a good start point, there are some things that would add or subtract from that formula.  That should be your Heart Rate (HR) that you should stay BELOW during a run.  The reason this is hard is because this may be a very slow pace.  For me, who has been running for decades under the theory that fast/hard = good, its quite a difficult task to swallow my pride and shuffle along like my grandfather.  However, I've been assured this is temporary and I should start seeing my pace increase for the same HR.  I did notice that I am not sore after one of these runs.  In fact, I did a 8 mile run saturday (I haven't run more than 3 miles in months) and wasn't sore or really even that tired after.  So there might be something to it.   I'm willing to try anything that promises fewer injuries, given that age and mileage have really started to take their toll on me.

Hope that helps

2013-04-30 3:13 PM

User image

New user

Hi Mike,

it really does suck I am so painstakingly slow when it comes to running... but I will put on my heart monitor and see how I get on. I really wanted to work on my speed and do a couple of 10K runs, but yes the ultimate goal is not short distance running, but long distance endurance, so you are right.

I will send you some data when I do my next run, as staying at 143 will be walking for me. Even if I take it really slow when running I will be at least in mid-onefifties (even for cycling) - am i just still so unfit?

Thanks!

2013-05-01 6:34 AM
in reply to: #4721205

Mike,

I just re-read your zone 2 post.  Congrats on starting such a great thread.  The information there is very compelling.

As for my training update, I'm a little more than 2 weeks away from my first sprint.  As I get closer I'm realizing it isn't going to be as easy as I had hoped.  I'm most nervous about the swim, but I've gotten to where I know that I can do it, so I'll survive.  The bike and run will be OK for me, so long as I don't blow-up on the run.

As the weather has gotten nicer, oddly enough I've actually found it more difficult to train.  There are just too many other things that I want to do outside after a long hard winter, and I'll be darned if I'm going to run or ride inside when the sun is shining outside!  Never the less, I'm still loving this Tri stuff and I'm pretty sure I'll be sticking with it through this summer and beyond.

Cheers!

Steve

2013-05-01 11:53 AM
in reply to: #4721932

User image

Veteran
Chesapeake, VA

Steve,

Good to hear things are tracking.  For the swim, you can take comfort that 90% of the rest of the people in the water with you will be feeling/thinking the exact same thing.  The swim is a stressful place, whether its your first or fiftieth.  Simply keep smiling and do what you know you can do.

Cheers

Mike

swalker0816 - 2013-05-01 7:34 AM

Mike,

I just re-read your zone 2 post.  Congrats on starting such a great thread.  The information there is very compelling.

As for my training update, I'm a little more than 2 weeks away from my first sprint.  As I get closer I'm realizing it isn't going to be as easy as I had hoped.  I'm most nervous about the swim, but I've gotten to where I know that I can do it, so I'll survive.  The bike and run will be OK for me, so long as I don't blow-up on the run.

As the weather has gotten nicer, oddly enough I've actually found it more difficult to train.  There are just too many other things that I want to do outside after a long hard winter, and I'll be darned if I'm going to run or ride inside when the sun is shining outside!  Never the less, I'm still loving this Tri stuff and I'm pretty sure I'll be sticking with it through this summer and beyond.

Cheers!

Steve

Edited by mikerunkle 2013-05-01 11:55 AM

2013-05-03 6:23 PM

User image

Veteran
Chesapeake, VA

Hey gang,

Just an updated to post to show that, yes we still can post here.  I sent everyone (I think) a PM to let you know the latest on the mentor group.  We can just keep chatting away here until such time that we collectively just don't need to anymore.

Keep on training!

r/

Mike

2013-05-05 8:19 PM
in reply to: #4726690

User image

New user

Fredericksburg

Hey all!

My race is next weekend and I was starting to build a lot of anxiety.  What a difference a day makes!  I did my first real bike/swim brick today.  That was helpful to know what I needed for transition and I just enjoyed the whole experience - even if it was a little chilly (is spring ever gonna get here, and stay?!).  I also looked on the race website and they have a ton of information - including a pre-race meeting where you walk through everything!  Yay for that!  They only thing that I'm now a little bummed about is seeing some of the swimming times. . . I am so proud of myself for how far I've come, though I know I still have far too go, but still . . .  I'm so stinkin' slow!  Oh well, good thing the only person I compete with is myself. . . Undecided  

Anyway - I am most nervous about transitions - any advice would be most welcome!

2013-05-06 11:40 AM
in reply to: #4728378

User image

Veteran
Chesapeake, VA

Transitions.  First, you are only racing against yourself so its important not to beat yourself in transitions.  That'll make sense in a second...

The first thing you must do when you reach the bike rack is stop and take a deep breath.  Transition area can be frantic with people moving in/out, clothes and gear coming on/off.  For your first race, take the extra seconds to calmly transition from swim to bike and bike to run.  You aren't looking to podium, so you'll really hate the leg if you leave something behind (sunglasses, race number, etc) because you rushed out.

Recommend you walk from the swim finish to your bike prior to the race so you can identify what its going to look like from that perspective (it'll likely be different than the picture you have in your head from walking your bike in when setting up).  Then look for the bike exit and picture your path.   Same with bike return chute.  Know where your rack is related to the chute and then how to get out for the run.

When you setup your bike, remember to keep your gear under or in front of your bike.  Don't spread out to the sides or you will get jumbled up with your neighbors.  Keep your bike and run gear separated so you can see/identify and grab faster.  If you are a checklist type person, have a yellow sticky on the pile with the things you need to remember to put on.

Random tips:

1. Sunglasses go on LAST.  I've seen people put on glasses, then try to put on/take off shirt or put on helmet.  Now the glasses are bundled in clothing or have dropped to the ground.  You'll find them under your foot the minute to step back to wonder what happened.

2. Do not store things in your helmet.  It seems like a great idea to hold all of your bike stuff in the helmet for T1, but putting on the helmet is one of the first things you do, what do you do with all of that stuff then?  You'll end up dropping/throwing things around the transition area.

3. Have a bottle of water to wash off your feet prior to putting on bike shoes in T1.  Have a small towel to stand on.  If you can get dirt and sand off your feet before you have to pedal and run, your feet will thank you.

4. Don't forget your race belt or race number for the run.  You can get away with not having it on bike because you probably have it on your helmet and bike, but will need it running.  Put it in a running shoe so you have to touch it at T2.

5.  Remember to take helmet OFF at T2.  (you'd be surprised...)

6.  Have FUN!   That is the single most important tip.  Remember you wanted to do this! Laughing

ecugirll - 2013-05-05 9:19 PM

Hey all!

My race is next weekend and I was starting to build a lot of anxiety.  What a difference a day makes!  I did my first real bike/swim brick today.  That was helpful to know what I needed for transition and I just enjoyed the whole experience - even if it was a little chilly (is spring ever gonna get here, and stay?!).  I also looked on the race website and they have a ton of information - including a pre-race meeting where you walk through everything!  Yay for that!  They only thing that I'm now a little bummed about is seeing some of the swimming times. . . I am so proud of myself for how far I've come, though I know I still have far too go, but still . . .  I'm so stinkin' slow!  Oh well, good thing the only person I compete with is myself. . . Undecided  

Anyway - I am most nervous about transitions - any advice would be most welcome!

2013-05-06 12:20 PM
in reply to: #4729372

User image

New user

Fredericksburg
Another question.  It has seemed to me that triathletes are "a horse of a different color".  What I mean by that is I see athletes that are more competitive and "serious" vs athletes more like me - those of us who are doing this to keep fit, and put variety in our training.  I will never be a serious competitor - the only person I will ever be competing against is me.  Are there some of us in this sport too?  
2013-05-06 2:22 PM
in reply to: #4729502

User image

Veteran
Chesapeake, VA

Well I'd say that 98% of the folks on BT are like you.  Triathlons sounded fun or challenging and you just want to do something with some variety and uniqueness to it.  Many find that after they race a couple of times, they get addicted to the atmosphere of a cheering crowd and personal satisfaction of cross the finish line ahead of someone (anyone).  You'll then try to beat your own time, then catch that one person you recognize, then beat that one ahead of you who has the weird shirt, etc etc.  Suddenly you find yourself talking about your Z2 training on your HRM in order to improve your T1 split.

Unless someone is paying you to race, then it will always be (or should always be) something you are doing for fun and fitness.  Don't worry about getting caught up in some of the hype and discussions over saving ounces or seconds.

ecugirll - 2013-05-06 1:20 PM Another question.  It has seemed to me that triathletes are "a horse of a different color".  What I mean by that is I see athletes that are more competitive and "serious" vs athletes more like me - those of us who are doing this to keep fit, and put variety in our training.  I will never be a serious competitor - the only person I will ever be competing against is me.  Are there some of us in this sport too?  

2013-05-13 5:08 PM

User image

New user

Fredericksburg

First tri - done!  

The ups and the downs:

The ups - I finished and I finished 10 minutes faster than I thought I would!  Yay!  My husband is an awesome "support" staff and I'm so very thankful for him!  I learned about the race, which is really designed for us newbies, through this website.  I am going to sign up for 2 more races (one in July and one in August) this year.

The downs:

I had a panic attack as soon as I went in the water.  This happened for a number of reasons, but first and foremost was that I had a lot of anxiety about the race, and especially the swim.  I have never had a panic attack, but the fact that my breathing was so shallow that I couldn't even blow bubbles underwater tells me that's pretty much what it was.  I did the breast stroke for 50m, then flipped on my back for 25m before I got myself calmed down enough to actually put my face in the water and swim.  Once I did it was good - my husband said my stroke was very smooth and I actually passed a few people.    I am so upset about this that it's kind of diminished my feeling of accomplishment about the whole race.  I keep telling myself that I need to focus on the fact that I actually did the swim in spite of the attack rather than the fact that I panicked in the first place.

2nd - I hate wind!  We had a pre-race meeting at 7 and it was looking to be a beautiful morning even if it was on the chilly side.  Between that meeting and actually coming out from the swim, the wind whipped up and the temps actually dropped.  I would rather have a hilly course than deal with the wind that popped up on Sunday.  It was the pits!  

I'm taking today and tomorrow off from training.  I'm looking for slightly different training programs.  I prefer to have distances than times for training - anyone have suggestions?  Also, I ordered this cool swim workout program from Amazon that was recommended by my swim instructor.   It is a box with waterproof cards full of drills and workouts.  Can't wait to sit and look through it!  

2013-05-14 5:15 AM
in reply to: #4740630

User image

Veteran
Chesapeake, VA

Congratulations on your first Tri!  Well Done!!!

FYI, anxiety in the swim and panic attacks are VERY common, so you are in good company there.  Good job pushing through it.

Yes, wind sucks.  Its one of the only environmental conditions you can't do anything about.  Cold=dress warm, Hot=drink water, Windy= suck it up (hide?)

2013-05-18 6:26 PM
in reply to: mikerunkle

Well, its official, I'm a triathlete!!

I had my first race this morning, and it felt pretty good. No big surprises, the swim was OK, the bike was comfortable and I actually placed higher in the run than I expected. In looking at my results, I stand to gain the most by focusing on T1, swim and then bike.

Thanks to everyone here for helping me keep motivated! I really feel like this is something I could get used to doing. I've already signed up for my next sprint, which has a long open water swim (1000 yds). I'll be taking a couple of days off, and then back at it.

One concern, I have been having a bit of pain in the arch of my foot. The event had free massages from the local sports trainer, he say I have plantar fasciitis starting......he suggested I massage my foot with a frozen water bottle. I'm also thinking I'll stop in my local running store tomorrow to see if they have any suggestions for shoe fit. Any advice from the group?

Cheers,

Steve
2013-05-18 9:03 PM
in reply to: swalker0816

User image

Veteran
Chesapeake, VA
Congrats Steve!!! Welcome to the club/obsession.
As for PF, I suffered through that for the past year or so. Its one of the things that had kept me sidelined since my IM. There are as many tips, hints and remedies out there as their are people who suffer from PF. I'll tell you what worked for me and why. In short, having someone perform Trigger Point style rolling on the bottom of my foot finally provide relief of my PF. Essentially rolling my foot like it was pizza dough. He put a great deal of pressure on, more than I could/would do myself (this is key). What that did for me was it broke up the scar tissue and fascia adhesions that were causing my pain. Once that fascia was freed up and the scar tissue crushed, my foot recovered. It was painful and took about 2 weeks of rolling, every other day. But now, I am fully functional and back training without issue. Prior to giving that a try I had tried: ice bottles, golf balls, stretches, rest, night splint. Of those, only the night splint helped but even that eventually lost it effectiveness. If you are going to self treat with any of the above, they are meant to do the same thing as the rolling i had done. So you must put a good deal of pressure on and roll specifically over the sore spot. This is hard to do yourself, as most people will instinctively not intentionally cause themselves pain.
Now, you did say it was just starting, so you need to look at your footwear. They are a main contributor to why you are developing strain or scar tissue in the fascia. It could be that you need more arch support (or less), it could mean that your running style is putting undue strain that your body hasn't adapted to. Talk to multiple running shoe places (some will be good, some useless) and start collecting data and opinions. Don't buy anything until you've gotten multiple opinions. Then pick what sounds good to you. (thats lame advice, but really the specifics of the issue are very unique to your case and thus only you can decide how to go forth...)
There is a lot of online information about PF, because it is very common. Good luck.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Give it a Tri - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 5