General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How to Register for First Sprint Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-02-27 6:37 PM

User image

Veteran
Roll Tide!!
Subject: How to Register for First Sprint

I am about to register for my first sprint triathlon. I can register as a first timer, in my age bracket, or as an Athena. 

I was going to sign up as a first timer but in looking over the results from last year the top first timer came in at around 1:38, my age group (45-49) was 1:33, and Athena was 1:49.

I realize this is my first and honestly just want to make it thought well...

But, looking at the 11 minute time difference, wondering how I should register? Is there any benefit to registering as a first timer?

Edited by Meljoypip 2013-02-27 6:38 PM

2013-02-27 6:54 PM
in reply to: #4639731

Subject: RE: How to Register for First Sprint

your in the Athena weight category?

at end your time is your time...if you are comparing yourself to others it is up to you to choose. If you are finishing for yourself I don't think it would matter.

2013-02-27 7:07 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tucson

Athena is a weight division for heavier athletes.  If you qualify I believe you should race there.

I did my first sprint last year and didn't have the options you do.  If it were me, I'd just race in my AG, I wouldn't worry about being in a first timer group.

However, my advice is meaningless compared to your preference and maybe someone else's experience.

No matter what, don't overthink it and have a bunch of fun!!!

2013-02-27 7:12 PM

User image

Master
Just South of Boston

First, congrats on getting ready to sign up for your first tri! My only warning is you may find them addictive

Second -- since its your first race, forget about times, etc. This is all about learning, crossing the finish line, and having FUN.

Is the "first timer" group for inexperienced swimmers? How is your swimming? Are you experienced with open water swims (assuming the race has one)? If you are not, then the first timers group may be the way to go.

2013-02-27 7:12 PM

User image

Master
Just South of Boston

First, congrats on getting ready to sign up for your first tri! My only warning is you may find them addictive

Second -- since its your first race, forget about times, etc. This is all about learning, crossing the finish line, and having FUN.

Is the "first timer" group for inexperienced swimmers? How is your swimming? Are you experienced with open water swims (assuming the race has one)? If you are not, then the first timers group may be the way to go.

2013-02-27 7:22 PM

User image

Expert
Floriduh
Seems to me that there are always a couple of very in-shape guys that, while they may never have done a tri, are far from being typical couch potatoes.  If you meet weight req for athena then race that, otherwise you are in the AG scrum.

2013-02-28 5:11 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Wellesley, Massachusetts
If first timer is related to swim wave, go with your AG. Often they put 1st timers in the last swim wave. If it's hot that day, the later start will not be ideal. Also, if you are speedy and in the last wave, you'll have a lot of passing to do on the bike. I say go AG.
2013-02-28 8:25 AM

Veteran
Tennessee
In the races I have done your first three times you can register as a beginner. If you don't place in the beginner category you are put in your age group.
2013-02-28 8:26 AM

User image

Pro
Twin Cities

It is totally up to you. Where would you feel most comfortable, what is important to you in terms of competition, etc.

The beginner's wave can be a bit...warmer and fuzzier, I guess? For lack of a better term. So if you are feeling insecure or unsure or overly nervous, and you think it would be a comfort, go there. (I don't know how your race is, but for some of the ones I've seen, this wave is NOT eligible for awards, so if that's important to you, you should check the specifics)

The clyde division...(It's tough to even weigh in on this issue, b/c I'm don't want  to start the age-old battle that happily springs up every time this comes up). Personally, I've not elected to race in it when eligible, as I prefer a more level playing field (at least as level as you'll get with still having AGs)--or rather, I'd prefer to be on the SAME playing field, I guess. I think it also can be, for some people, a "big fish, small pond" type of thing. As in, "I'm in here b/c I want to win a prize, and my AG's too deep, so I stand a better chance here." The "I just want a win, any win." And some people don't care about any of that, they just feel like this playing field is a better "same playing field" than AG or Open. It's good for some folks, not for others. Up to you.

If you're nervous, and don't necessarily want to do first timers...there are certainly ways to shelter things a bit--start in the back/to the side. Talk to folks beforehand. (People at races are chatty :D)) set goals (I'll get  to that buoy, and then that one, and then)...etc.

My first race, b/c I didn't know any better, at the suggestions of friends who had already had a season of racing under their belts, I put myself in the Open wave (sometimes called elite or advanced or a variety of other things). It was a trial by fire (and I finished last in the group...hey, someone has to, right? :D), but in truth very non-threatening b/c the people were awesome and helpful. Point being, I think you will be fine in whichever group you choose. :-) There's not a wrong answer.

2013-02-28 8:39 AM
in reply to: #4639739

User image

New user
Dallas, TX
bman1 - 2013-02-27 6:54 PM

your in the Athena weight category?

at end your time is your time...if you are comparing yourself to others it is up to you to choose. If you are finishing for yourself I don't think it would matter.

Hear Hear!

Sound advice, the greatest competition is man or woman versus themselves. No matter what you do you’re already a winner for training and stepping up to the line. It does not matter if your 1st or mid
pack or DFL. Show up, race yourself and the clock, at the end of the day you will have fun and know you are better for it.

In reality nothing else matters it’s all just noise

Edited by LukeS 2013-02-28 8:40 AM
2013-02-28 9:55 AM

User image

Veteran
Houston, TX

I am about to do my first tri in 2 weeks. When I signed up a few weeks ago I was faced with the same possibilities. I ended up signing up for the age group.

My weight loss (and recent rule changes) has since dropped me out of the Clydesdale group, but I honestly didn't want to have to explain to non-tri friends and coworkers what a Clydesdale is.

Competing in the beginners group may increase one's chance of getting on the podium, but even if I did, it would feel like a hollow victory, especially if there are few participants. If you don't win, then you might as well have just competed in your age group. I'd rather say I finished in the 75th percentile of my age group than the 15th percentile of the beginner category. However, if you are nervous about the swim and the beginners start in a different wave, disregard everything I just wrote. It maybe less stressful if everyone is in the same boat and are going slow.

2013-02-28 10:24 AM

User image

New user
Athens, GA

I raced my first race (almost exactly a year ago) in the novice category, and it was definitely the right choice for me. Here's why:

- Race morning, I was feeling an overwhelming case of nerves. Because the race numbers of all the novices were in sequence, and our assigned racks in transition were together, I was surrounded by people in the same boat as me - many of whom were way more chilled out than me and helped me regain my sense of humor.

- My main concern/weakness going into the race was my cycling. The novices went off last in the swim (TT start, pool swim), which meant that only other novices would be passing me on the bike, rather than a huge percentage of the rest of the field. And I even passed a few cyclists from the back end of the age group wave, which I never expected to happen.

I did end up first in the novice division, but I would have placed in my age group as well so that wasn't really a factor. Overall, racing as a novice took a lot of pressure off me in that first race and I would do it again.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How to Register for First Sprint Rss Feed