General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Introduction from MI Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-06-12 9:46 AM

Subject: Introduction from MI
Hi there!

I've been thinking about attempting a triathlon for a few months now and finally signed up for one last Saturday that is in 5 weeks (sprint distance). I am incredibly excited and nervous!

Background:

I have been a runner and mountain biker for awhile now and sold my mountain bike last fall and purchased a road bike this spring. I was a decent runner and placed decently in a few races until reconstructive knee surgery about 16 months ago at which point I gained approx. 30 lbs. and could not run consistently for 7 months (last September) The road to recovery has been long and frustrating. The road bike was bought to assist in cross training and prevent any more injuires while mountain biking (that's how I tore my ACL). But I have fallen in love with cycling on the roads which was unexpected. I live in Traverse City, Michigan and we have some incredibly beautiful areas to ride.

After talking with a few friends who have done some tri's I thought it would be something I would enjoy. I am very excited, but also very nervous. My goal is to finish and not kill myself on the swim as that is the area I am least experienced in. So far I have done a couple run-bike-run workouts and one swim-bike-run workout with fast transitions and it completely kicked my a#@ despite the fact it was barely over half of what I will face on race day. I have a long way to go, but I am very determined.

I have been perusing these forums for a couple weeks prior to posting and have been overwhelmed by the support you all give each other. I look forward to becoming a part of the triathlete community as it appears to be a sincere and genuine one. I have already learned a lot from what I've read here and look forward to learning a lot more as the amount of knowledge on these forums and this site are incredible. Since my experience is zero I know I need to be well prepared mentally as well as physically.

As I stated, I live in northern Michigan and if anybody else is in the area and would like to train I would definitely be interested as right now I do not have a workout partner. My e-mail is [email protected]. I plan on doing a few more tri's later this summer/fall in the area.

On a personal note, I am 27, am married, and have two children. I work in public accounting as an auditor.

Again, I look forward to talking to you all and am excited to be here!

Cheers,

Brian

2007-06-12 10:13 AM
in reply to: #840531

User image

Expert
Clio, MIchigan
Subject: RE: Introduction from MI

Welcome,

Sorry to hear about the knee surgery, that sucks.  Hopefully the cross training of tri training will help you heal. 

Make sure you check out the michigan forum....

2007-06-13 10:55 PM

User image

Champion
Gold member

Welcome Brian....the 5 week countdown it is...

It's great that you have come back strong after that knee surgery as anything reconstructive doesn't sound any fun.

Make sure you are in the pool 3-4 days a week to really improve and get comfortable.  As a newbie swimmer I'm assuming, 2 days as opposed to 3-4 days per week swimming will take a lot longer on the breakthroughs.

Good luck!

2007-06-15 7:42 AM

User image

Veteran
Ida, Michigan

Welcome to BT.  Sorry to here about your knee--hope the recovery is going well.

3 Disciplines puts on a race at Interlochen every year.  Did this one last year and it was great.  Might want to check it out.

--Craig

2007-06-15 7:55 AM
in reply to: #845391

Actually that one in Interlochen is the one I'm signed up for...and I just finished filling out my application for "Escape to Crystal Lake" in August, supposedly another good one. I'm getting pretty excited.

Thanks for the swimming tips too, Ron. I'm definitely a newbie to swimming and am trying hard to get in a decent number of swims per week (2 so far this week with a thrid tomorrow).

I'm actually really comfortable in the water having grown up around some beautiful lakes (Traverse City), plus I actually had a swimming pool growing up, but swimming a few hundred meters is still pretty challenging for me. Working on it though.

Thanks again,

brian

2007-06-15 8:35 AM

User image

Veteran
Traverse City, Michigan
Hello Brian and welcome to the Michigan Triathlon crowd. I don't live up near traverse city, but since my father has a cabin up that way near Tompsonville I do go up there on weekends every once in a while and train. Traverse City is about a 25 minute drive to get to from there. I usually do some open water swims in lake michigan along the Sleeping Bear Dunes Lakeshore. This year I have been mapping out some rides to try out in that area as well. I will let you know the next time I plan on heading up that way and maybe we can bike or swim together.
And, good luck with your first Tri!

Jason

2007-06-15 1:19 PM
in reply to: #845452

Thanks Jason.

I would definitely be willing to join you on a bike ride or for a swim. I know Thompsonville b/c I used to snowboard @ Crystal Mountain when I was in high school.

The "Escape to Crystal Lake" tri I mentioned in an earlier post in this thread is in Beulah which isn't too far from Thompsonville. Crystal Lake is beautiful if you've never checked it out.

Brian
2007-06-15 7:43 PM

User image

Veteran
Traverse City, Michigan
Cool, email me and we can plan something. Maybe your wife can hang out with my wife while we train.

[email protected]

Jason
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Introduction from MI Rss Feed