General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Question about bicycle machines at the gym Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-01-28 7:55 AM

New user

Subject: Question about bicycle machines at the gym
Just a quick question....Which is better? The machines with the pedals underneath you or the the ones that have the pedals out in front of you. Which I could describe it better but I can't.

2004-01-28 6:09 PM
in reply to: #5232

User image

Extreme Veteran
Epworth. Iowa
Subject: RE: Question about bicycle machines at the gym
The recumbent bike has the pedals out front - okay for cardio - but if you are tring to get the muscle workout and feel of the bike portion of the tri, you will want to use the rewgular cycle. Just be sure to adjust the seat so the bike "fits" you.
2004-01-30 1:14 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Boise Idaho
They will also tone the tush so you can prapare for those tiny race saddles! ;-)
2004-01-30 8:46 AM

User image

Champion
Ottawa, Ontario
The more upright machines are the better of the two. Of course if their is no choice and one must use the more relaxed models, then one has to make the best of it. The biggest problem is not the model but the adjustment; just ensure that you adjust the seat height to suit you. Most of the people at the gym whom I see riding these stationary bikes have their seats adjusted way too low and also peddle way too slowly. These people are not really doing any worthwhile exercise; all they are doing is harming their knees. Also, make sure that you pick the machine with the foot straps (much better for spinning); for some reason there is always only one machine that has them!
2004-01-30 10:30 AM

New user

Good!!! Thanks for the replys!!! I have been using the bike that have the pedals underneath. The 1st time I used it I didnt adjust the seat and it killed my knee. After about 2 mins I caught on, adjusted the seat and felt much better. I really have never biked before other than as a kid so what is the right rpms to go at? When I use the bike at the gym I usually set it up to do an endurance course. Starting off I am pedalling like mad so I increase the resistance so it feels like I am working harder....Then as level increases from the program it usually gets to a point where I can barely budge the pedals so I back the resistance back down. I am usually around 75-90 rpms through out the whole workout. Only thing is though if I keep backing the resistance off, it is not simulating the hills for the endurance part of the training. Then again I think thats what I would be doing if I were biking out doors....shifting into gears to pedal easier. I think a spinning class would be great but I know the YMCA doesn't offer one and I know my wife isn't going to let me fork over more money for a class.

Again thanks for the help and advise!!

Krot---
2004-01-30 10:52 AM

New user

Another question about the bike...what exactly is spinning? I read this all the time. Does it mean riding the bike and continous pedaling??? Or is it a certian routine you do on the bike?

2004-01-30 11:04 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Epworth. Iowa
Two things - when you adjust the height of th seat make sure your knee is not locked at the bottom of the revolution. a 1o - 15 degree angle should be okay. Spin is revgolutions per minute keep it at leat 85 rpm and up to stay in the spin zone. Then you can adjust resistance for flat, upgrades and downgrads. I actually try to do a route that would approximate the first spring I'm registered for. We have one machine in our gym that has enough resistance to stand an mimic a steep grade - that's good for the lung busting hills.

Spin on,
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Question about bicycle machines at the gym Rss Feed