Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 8

2007-12-14 1:03 PM

User image

Expert
NW Suburbs, Illinois
Subject: Schmize's Group - FULL

NAME: Schmize / Scott
STORY: Entering my third season as a triathlete.  I got into the sport to lose weight and have continued to be competitive in my age group, as well as grow in the sport and as a person. 
FAMILY STATUS: Married with 3 small children (7, 6, and 2
CURRENT TRAINING: I am very consistent with my training.  I enjoy the techinical aspect of training, and love to train almost as much as racing.  I tackled an HIM this year and am signed up for IMWI for next year.  I have hired a coach to help me to the best I can at MOO.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: Did 2 sprints, 2 Olys, HIM, 2 5Ks, 1 5 miler, 1/2 Mary, trained for Chicago Marathon (caught a bad virus 2 days before race - blessing in disguise)

2008 RACES:  Will do Spirit of Racine (HIM), and IMWI for sure.  Also, will do another 1/2 mary and an OLY and sprint.

WEIGHTLOSS: When I started this endeavor, I was 200.  I am now 170 and race around 165.  I have some good methodologies for losing weight and/or maintaining a goal weight.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOR: I have experience in all facets of triathlon, which is more than just running, swimming, and biking.  I understand most injuries b/c I have had most of them (including knee surgery last year), weight loss, nutrition, working around busy family and work schedules, and training programs.  My strong suit is swimming (top 10%), followed by the bike (top 20%).  I have taken this year to get my running up to those same standards and have learned a ton in the process.  I read lots, had an awesome mentor last year (amiine - jorge), and now have a coach. So I have learned a ton and would love to share this information with all of you (or at least 5 of you)!

Edited by schmize 2007-12-26 7:02 PM

2007-12-26 12:38 AM
in reply to: #1102173

New user

Subject: RE: Schmize's Group - OPEN
Scott, my name is also Scott and I would love to join your group!

Personal: I am a sophomore Computer Science major and Kansas State University. I am a full-time student, with two part-time jobs (tutoring and java programming), and even other commitments! But I have still been able to fit up to 10 hours of training in a week by waking up early in the morning to workout and doing long workouts on sat/sun.

Story: Looking to become fit and healthy I needed a long-term goal, so I became interested in triathlons, but a little too late last year to compete in any, so this will be my first year doing triathlon and competing in endurance events in general. However, I have been training since August mostly in biking and running and have been making excellent progress in those areas. At this point, I have an average amount of training experience, and consider myself fairly knowledgeable, but I certainly lack the consistency and expertise of a veteran. I have developed some good eating and training habits, but still miss workouts or indulge/snack too much every so often (sometimes too often).

Strengths/Weaknesses: I really lack the most in swimming, I have triathlon swimming made easy by Terry Laughlin and am working through the drills in the book, but I still have trouble getting to the pool. I really enjoy running and cycling right now, I can even run 11mi in 2 hours now which has surprised even myself considering I couldn't run 3 miles in August! I have joined the KSU Cycling Club and will be competing in road races and doing group training rides with them throughout the spring semester. I can ride flat for 2hrs+ without too much difficulty, and I am getting a lot better now that I have a new road bike and cycling shoes/pedals.

Technical: I have read Joe Friel's books on Triathlon training and heart rate training. I have a Sunnto T6 HRM which has been working nicely. I really like ease of heart rate training. I like learning how and why to do certain things, and I really want the most efficient and effective way to improve and meet my goals. I really enjoy tracking and logging all my data, and being able to see the progress that I've made. It serves as a big motivator to know how far I've come.

Goals: I am aiming to complete a sub-6 HIM at the Kansas Ironman 70.3, June 15th. I will do a couple of sprints which I have yet to determine during the spring to get some experience, but I really wanted to aim for HIM since I have so much time to train. Depending on my experience with the HIM, I may decide to continue training for the Redman IM that is 14 weeks later. I also may look at doing a marathon in the fall and a few century rides on the bike. This will definitely be the most active year of my life so far, and I am very excited to start reaching my goals.

Weight: I started out at 190 or so back in August, and have since dropped to 175-178 by training and healthy eating last semester. I am however hovering around 17.4% body fat, and I am looking to get to 9-10% at 160-165lbs.

It seems we are a good match with your HIM experience, technical expertise, IM training, weight loss, and the swimming ability that I lack. It would be great to have someone to look up to, get advice from, and hold me accountable to my training and goals. I probably wrote too much for just an intro post, but I just kinda got going! But I'm sure we'll have plenty more of that.

-Scott
2007-12-26 8:44 AM

User image

Regular
Los Angeles
Hey Scott,

I would also like to join your group as I see that you can probably be a contribution to me and my quest to become a triathlete.

ABOUT ME: I live in Los Angeles, I am 35 (will be 36 end of Feb), married with two small boys (3 & 5), I run my own business with 10 employees so I can make my own hours, which can be a blessing and a curse. I am currently a whopping 216lbs (which makes my hill rides A LOT of fun - NOT!)

I have done a lot of running in the past (before I had kids) and half-marathon was always my favorite distance, though I would do lots of 10ks, and 10Milers. I did the Honolulu Marathon in 1998 (looked like I was going to do it in 2:56 for my first marathon, but I was young, hadn't trained properly, so I bonked at mile 20 and finished it in 3:46). I began flirting with TRI's about a year ago after I went to an intro evening at my local Tri Club LA TRI CLUB. I bought a bike, did a little biking, but took no action until late this year.

Since I really get off on challenges, and I love pushing myself to the limit, I have signed up for the Florida 70.3 HIM on May 18th. I did a lot of research, and figured that I could get there with 6 months of intense training. I plan on doing a few Sprints or an Olympic along the way, and my bike training includes training for a Century in March in Solvang, CA.

While it may seem incredibly ambitious to go straight for a HIM, I know deep down that I can do it, and I have taken a very serious approach to my training, diet and mental health, which I would love to get your feedback on.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Mikkel
2007-12-26 9:19 AM

User image

Expert
NW Suburbs, Illinois

Scott - Welcome to the group! 

I can tell just by your introduction that you are highly motivated and have caught the triathlon bug!  And w/o even racing, yet.  After your first race, it only gets worse

The IM goal is a very lofty one, but I would never tell anyone they shouldn't do something.  You are very young, which is a great asset in this sport.  And I happen to know a guy who did an IM in his first season (he was 23).  However, increasing mileage too fast is a great way to get injured, so really, really listen to your body. 

Friel's training bible is great and so is HR training.  I utilize it often.  There are some good things in Laughlin's book and it really is one of the best places to start.  Some very good drills in it.  I don't agree with everything in there, but we can talk about that later.

Do you know what your LTHR is?

Go Wildcats!  Except when they play Marquette.  And I wish I would have started this sport when I was your age!

2007-12-26 9:26 AM

User image

Expert
NW Suburbs, Illinois

Mikkel - Welcome to the group!

Isn't it amazing how a couple kids can put weight on the ol' frame?  Not sure if they are always the culprit, but I know I added weight during my wife's pregnancies and never took it off until triathlon.  We will definitely get that weight off this season.

Having a marathon under your belt, I don't think you will have any issues with an HIM, especially with your mindset on challenges.

I will be posting some questions and ideas for you all, as we fill out the group.

2007-12-26 9:50 AM
in reply to: #1116834

New user

Thanks, I am definitively excited to get into the sport! It's funny because even though I am young (I turn 20 in March), I still find myself wishing I had started even earlier. I kind of figured that doing an IM would be a stretch, the only reason I considered it was due to it being very late in the season. I will obviously listen to how how my body feels after the HIM in june and re-evaluate my goals/current fitness at that point. I certainly won't force myself to do it if it is not reasonable for me.

HR Stuff: Well, I had my VO2 max tested on the bike at KSU's metabolism lab on Dec 6th. It was 55.9 ml/kg/min btw. And from that test, I estimated my LTHR to be 164. I reached a max of 194 bpm at the end of the test. I still need to do graded tests for both running and cycling in the near future so I have a more accurate LTHR to go off of. I have been recently training in Zone 2 for running at 145-155, and 138-148 in cycling.

I definitely bleed purple haha, I go to all of the games and they are a lot of fun.

2007-12-26 9:53 AM
in reply to: #1116788

New user

Welcome to the group Mikkel!

Looks like we have pretty similar goals, both going for HIM this summer. I'm sure we'll be able to relate with a lot of our training, plans, and goals for the year. I am looking forward to working with you just as much as Scott.
2007-12-26 10:58 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Denver
Scott I would like to join your group and gain whatever knowledge possible from your experience and advice.

I am 33 years old and have been an off and on gym rat for the last 10 years. I am happily married for the last 6 years and have a 2.5 year old son. We live in Islamorada, FL which is in the upper Florida Keys. I work as a bartender and am going back to college in January.

A little over a year ago, after an extended absence from the gym due to working 60 hours a week in a desk job, I found myself at 207 pounds and very unhealthy. I got back into the gym as well as began running approximatly 20 miles a week. After a year I am down to 160 pounds and in the best shape of my life. Recently I started swimming laps (or at least trying) as well as taking spin classes for a change of pace in my cardio routine. I find the biking portion to be easy for me but struggle with the swimming. After doing some research on triathlons I have found myself very excited with the prospect of becoming a trithlete.

Right now my main focus is to get my swimming technique down so that I can compete in my first sprint tri on March 16 at the Wildman Triathlon Festival in Orlando, FL.

My current workout schedule is:
Swimming twice a week. I have joined another site called triswimcoach.com that has lots of good videos and work outs for begginer triathletes trying to learn to swim but my progress has been slow. I mainly am having trouble in the breathing aspect of freestyle.

Running twice a week approximately 4-5 miles at around a 10-11 minute mile. I am a slow runner but can go the distance required for a sprint tri without too much trouble.

Gym/Weights 3 times a week. I know I should probably cut back on the gym one day and add another pool day but the gym is what got me into shape and into wanting to do a tri in the first place so I'm unwilling to give it up.

My longer term goal is another sprint tri in June in Boulder, CO which is where I am originaly from then maybe try something a little longer distance later in the year.

Hope to hear from you soon
Angelo
2007-12-26 12:45 PM

User image

Expert
NW Suburbs, Illinois

Angelo - Welcome to the group.  And don't give up the weights, they have some great benefit..and its fun for you....which is the whole deal anyway.

That makes 4 of us (3 plus me).  We will take a couple of more.

Since this thread will remain ours until end of March (and probably beyond), everyone might want to hit the toggle email button down in the right part corner of this thread.  This will email you with a notice that someone has added to the thread.

Also, everyone needs to keep their logs up to date.  I encourage our group to use the "inspire" function for our group.  It will help keep everyone motivated.

We are filling up fast!

2007-12-26 12:57 PM

New user

I'd like to join your mentor group if I may.

2007 was the first year I did any races, and I did 2 sprint triathlons late in the summer, averaged about 1:30 to 1:50 depending on the length and difficulty/hills of the course.

I had stayed in somewhat of physical condition over the years, but have always avoided longer runs. I usually would jog 1.5 to 2 miles in about a 10 min/mile pace. 2006 fall I started doing spinner classes and really felt like I was progressing in my cardiovascular condition, and dropped about 15 pounds to about 170 over about 4 months.

I decided to try to prepare for a sprint triathlon and started mixing up training with swimming, biking and running. Compared to my age group (45-50 M, I'm 47), in both sprint triathlons, I was in the top 30-40% in the swim ( 2:15 -2:30/ 100 m times), average on the bike (about 16.5 to 17.0 mph) on my 20 year old steel Schwinn, and about 9:30 - 10:00/mile in the run. I finished the races but felt like I was crawling on the run.

The last race was in later August, and I'm trying to improve my times for each leg. I still feel slow in the run and have my time on an isolated 5K to about 8:30/mile though I'm not sure I can hold that pace for the last leg of the tri race. I've been trying doing some interval training with 200m and 300m intervals at faster paces. Swimming I'm kind of lazy about spending much time with it. I have gotten my 100m times to about 2:00 and on a good day will get a 500m swim in under 10 min.

I need to build my stamina for speed and my confidence for running faster. The swimming and biking I feel more comfortable with. I also now have a Felt tri bike that's looking ready to race.

I've been training pretty regular, and plan to take about a month off from running for some minor surgery on my big toe of my right foot this week. I'll be back to swimming in about 2 weeks, biking in about a month, and running in 6 weeks or so.

lawlordc/Denny
2007-12-26 1:07 PM
in reply to: #1117104

User image

Extreme Veteran
Denver
Thanks, I'm looking forward to a good season....

2007-12-26 1:40 PM

User image

Expert
NW Suburbs, Illinois

Denny - Welcome to the group!  I have some good workouts to help you get faster on the run.  Of course, patience and consistency are key there as well.

Looks like we are rounding out just perfectly.  All of us have similar goals, too.  Of course, getting faster is almost everyone's goal on this site.

2007-12-26 1:53 PM

User image

Veteran
I hope I'm not too late to join this group.

I've read through all of the mentor groups and feel this one most closely matches with me in race goals, training w/work and family obligations, weight loss, and attitude.

Bonnie C. was my mentor last year and the benefits of her advice/experience, and the encouragement from the group was really amazing.

Let me know if there is still room and I'll post my history.

Sarah
2007-12-26 1:57 PM

User image

Expert
NW Suburbs, Illinois

Sarah - You are in!  And you are definitely in the right place. 

The group has everything we need.  Everyone seems very motivated and willing to put in the effort.  I will definitely be here for advice, but I know some of you have done some triathlons, too, so please pipe up if need be.  I have learned so much, and plan to learn from you guys, as well.

I am going to close this down with the 6 of us being a good number for our group.

2007-12-26 3:18 PM

User image

Expert
NW Suburbs, Illinois
Subject: RE: Schmize's Group - FULL w/ the fastest newbies around!

OK, the schmize group consists of:
Orangeburst, mbondesen, AngeloS, lawlordc, and Sarah Ray.

I encourage each of you to add me and the above people to your friends page in your blog.  Also, hit the toggle button at the buttom for email updates.  I made a link to this thread on my blog, as well.  YOu can do it, too, by cutting paste the link to your my links in your blog.  If you have any questions on that or need help navigating through BT, just post it here and one of us can help.  Keep your logs up to date and visit everyone often to offer them words of encouragement.

So, lets get this started with some questions that will help us in meeting our goals for next season.   What are your Strengths, Weaknesses, next season goals (2-4 major ones), Long term goals, and "Why you Tri"

I will start:

Strengths: Swim (which is strange b/c I am self taught).  I do have the advantage of growing up around lakes and rivers and just swimming all the time, but never competively.  It also helps that most triathletes are runners/bikers by trade.  Also, pretty good on the bike.  I would also list my mental toughness and consistency as strengths.  Very hard for me to miss a workout or make excuses.

Weaknesses: The run.  But by training for a marathon and really working on my run this off season, I have started to get my run in line.  I was never slow, but compared to the other two disciplines and competition, I knew I had to get faster.

Next Season: Train smart and get through my first IM (MOO).  I would also like to get faster and finish at the top of my age group in the other smaller/shorter races I do.  Finish SOR (HIM) in under 5 hours (did 5:04 last year).  Continue to get faster in all disciplines.  Stay injury free!  Try and stay married (heh.  Being funny here b/c my wife and family are very supportive, but I need to not get crazy w/ IM training)

Long Term:  Stay with triathlon for a long time.  Stay in shape and keep competing.  Maybe even coach some day?  Be an ambassador to the sport.  Maybe Boston Qualify?  I know I will never get to Kona, but maybe in the form of a lottery pick?

Why I Tri:  Stay in shape.  A stress relief.  Competitiveness.  Comradorie.  Its a blast.

2007-12-26 7:01 PM

User image

Expert
NW Suburbs, Illinois
Rumor has it, we may be getting one more to the group: Ajotto.  He is a fellow Donkey and if you don't know what a Donkey is, trust me, you will!

2007-12-26 7:57 PM

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Schmize's Group - FULL
Yippee! Thank you for including me.

I just started triathlon December 2006 when a friend jokingly said, “Hey, you wanna do a triathlon with me?” primarily to out do her husband who had just finished his first half mary. In June 2007 she road the bike leg for her tri-team and I finished my first Sprint and I was hooked. I love absorbing info. from BT, books, magazines, and other athletes and I’m looking forward to learning from all of you.

Throughout my school career I was a diligent athlete but always lacked the speed and quickness to excel in the few sports offered by my district. Now that I’m 39 years old I finally learned I’m not nearly as s-l-o-w as I thought, I was just applying my natural strength in endurance to the wrong sports.

My husband and 7-year-old daughter turned out to be the best cheerleaders. I soon discovered, in my region, having a cheering section was a sure sign of a Newbie, but I love it!

In 2007 I completed:
The Frigid Five Miler
March in Okarche Du
Route 66 Sprint
Maui Half-Marathon (with Team in Training)

My 2008 race calendar includes:
The Frigid Five Miler
March in Okarche Du
Four States Tri, Sprint, May
Route 66, Olympic, June
OKC SuperSprint, June
Tri Arkansas, Olympic

I contemplated setting my sites on the Redman HIM, but now I’m thinking I should allow myself to have another season of experience and shoot for 09. Scott, I’ll hand you a cup of water and an orange!

The day I returned home from the glorious Maui Marathon my step-daughter and son-in-law were in a horrific car accident. I spent many days at the hospital and they spent weeks at my house, desperate for even my suck-it-up style nursing care. I vowed to fatten up my too-thin son-in-law. My workouts came to a screeching halt, I lost lots of fitness, and I’m sure I gained more weight than he did on the fatten-up program. My focus for the next 3 weeks is weight loss until I start my BT training plan; Olympic 2xs Balanced.

2007-12-26 10:23 PM

User image

Regular
Los Angeles
Hey Everyone,

Sounds like we have a really cool group going here! Scott, thanks for being our mentor.

I am really pleased to hear that going for a HIM in 5 months is doable. I personally feel confident that I can do it, but hearing it from a "vet" makes me feel even better.

Currently my cycling rocks pretty hard. I am doing a Century in March as a "warm-up", so I have combined my cycling training for the HIM with that, and that seems to work out great.

I also work-out 5 days a week primarily using my own bodyweight and some free weights, targeting different muscle groups.

Furthermore I have added Yoga twice/week to the regimen to prevent injuries and maintain flexibility.

I do a Masters (seems like that term applies to everyone but me) Swim Class Mon, Wed, Fri for an hour.

The areas I feel I need to focus on the most is my swimming for sure, and my diet. I eat really healthily, but I want to find an optimal way to eat that supports all this exercise. I basically want to fuel my body as opposed to eating.

I am also writing a personal blog about this adventure from "couch to HIM" in 5 months. Because if I can do it, then anyone surely can!

Mikkel
2007-12-27 7:54 AM
in reply to: #1117397

User image

Extreme Veteran
Denver
Hello all, glad to be here and to be joining what seems like a very interesting community.

I would say my biggest strength is my commitment to what I have set my mind to. Like you, Scott, it drives me crazy when I miss a work out or have a bad one (like today because I'm sick and I know that if I go to the gym it will only get worse). Other than that I am srongest in the run mostly because I have been doing it the longest and am most comfortable there. I don't feel that my body was built for any kind of endurance sport but with work and patience I am able to get it done. The bike is my next best strength and I think it will get better than the run soon as I have purchased a new bike and will be training even more.

My weakness is obviously the swim and it has me a little concerned. Right now I am self taught (with the aid of books, vids, and sites) and I'm not sure if I'm on the right path or not. Luckily for me there is an olympic size pool, that even the US swim team uses on occasion, only a few miles from my house so if and when I decide to get a coach it will not be a problem to find one. Any words of advice from you all would be greatly appreciated.

My goal for this year is to complete my first sprint race in March then another in June. At that point I would like to increase the distance based on how well I have done to that point. As I said before I'm not really built for long distances so I may never attempt anything like a full IM and that's perfectly OK with me........but you never know.

My longer term goals and the reason I'm getting into Tri are one and the same. My weight has yo-yo'd since I was in highschool and would continue to do so if I don't managed it. I love working out in the gym but it's tough to continue going to the gym day in and day out with any real end in sight. Doing tri's gives me that light at the and of the tunnel and something to shoot for. Right now I look and feel great and I want to keep it that way.
2007-12-27 8:14 AM
in reply to: #1117911

User image

Extreme Veteran
Denver
Mikkel

I lost 50 pounds of fat and gained around 20 pounds of muscle in the last year and a half from lots of excercise and from changing my diet. My food intake used to be healthy (I rarely ate fast food or anything fried) but I ate the wrong amounts of the wrong foods at the wrong time. I have been on a diet plan that I found in Men's Health magazine that I think is perfect for anyone looking to get their metabolism cranked up. At this point I can lose weight almost at will simply by adjusting my carb intake slightly and adding extra fiber. The plan is called The Abs Diet (because it's designed so that your abs will show) and the whole thing is spelled out at menshealth.com. There's also a work out program designed to get your body used to burning lots of calories.

I know this sounded a bit like an ad for the site but I had such good results from it that I think it's worth looking into for your desire to find a way to eat that supports our training....

Angelo

2007-12-27 9:17 AM

User image

Regular
Los Angeles
Angelo,

I know ther ABS Diet quite well, and I really like it (mostly because I like the ingredients they recommend). I am curious though if the ABS Diet also supports the workouts that I do in preparation for the HIM. I am not so worried about weight loss since it comes totally naturally when you exercise 2-3 times per day, and eat well. I am more worried about making sure I get the right nutrients to build up endurance, and support recovery. And that's something I have no clue about. I try to listen to my body and feed it what it craves (which tends to be really healthy things), but I am sure that there's an aspect I am missing...

Thanks for the advice though, it is a great way to eat, and I don't think you sound like a promotion since I have read the book and used the website in the past to great effect.

2007-12-27 9:31 AM
in reply to: #1118256

User image

Extreme Veteran
Denver
Mikkel

Let me know if you run accross any new nutrition info for our training. I'd be very interested to learn more
2007-12-27 9:43 AM

User image

Regular
Los Angeles
I will do. I hope Scott can provide us with more information. I am logging all my food in my Blog, so hopefully he can comment on that, and you should feel free to read it and give me thoughts if you have any. Seems like you've done some good work on your eating habits, and I am one for always being open to new suggestions.
2007-12-27 11:14 AM

User image

Expert
NW Suburbs, Illinois

I like the ABs diet.  Very simple and it gets right to the point.  I did "Body for Life" about 7 years ago and it worked like a charm.  The problem was that I got comfortable and over time, I put the weight back on.  They key to any diet is that it never ends.  Body for Life has a free day, and ABS has a free meal.  I really need those.  Sometimes two or three free meals.  The good thing about doing triathlon, is that you can afford to have those meals, as long as you forget about them and stay true the rest of the time.  although, I don't follow the abs diet per se, it is pretty similar to what I do.

It took me awhile to adapt to the 6 meals.  The great thing about 6 meals, is once you get the hang of it, its really easy to do.  And after about 2-3 weeks of it, you can feel your metabolism really kick in.  You are never hungry and you never get that over full bloaded feeling.   It is a paradigm shift and you will need to plan your meals better.  I have cliff bars (or other replacement bar) in my gym bag, in the car, in my office.  I also have a jar of nuts (almonds, cashews) in my office and at home.  I bring apples, oranges, yogurt, etc. to work every day.  When I am hungry I eat.  I never go 2-3 hours w/o eating.  After a workout, I make sure and get more carbs in (that is why I like the cliff bars).

8 glasses of water a day.  This is really key for triathletes.  Keeps you hydrated for your next workout and helps you recover from todays.  It also makes you feel full.  And diet sodas, coffee, etc. are not good replacements.  If you must have one, then have an extra glass of water for the day.  I do this when having alcoholic beverages, too.  Every beer is followed by a water, etc.

Cut out the crap (as much as possible) and try and eat natural stuff.  Instead of a cookie, have a meal replacent bar.  Instead of chips, eat nuts.  Feeling hungry, grab some yogurt.  Think of food as fuel for body, and your choices will be much better.

Keep a log of what you eat.  You can do it here or fitday.com or on an excel sheet.  You will be very surprised when its on paper.  Same thing with your workouts.  Logging them has huge benefits...especially on BT.  B/c people will see them and you will feel guilty if you miss one.

Thats the basic principles.  Its easier for guys than girls to lose weight.  Its been proven.  So the women have to be a little more perfect.

Summary:  Five-Six smaller meals per day, 8 glasses of water, logging, and picking better foods will get you going in the right direction.  Realize that its a lifestyle change and it will never end.

2007-12-27 11:41 AM

User image

Expert
NW Suburbs, Illinois

Sarah - sorry to hear about your kid's car accident.  It sounds like everything is better now.  Based on your schedule for next year, I am thinking holding off on the HIM may be a good choice.  Could it be done?  For sure.  But, why push it?  You will like the OLY distance and if it seems too easy, then there are some "bridge" plans on BT that will fit the bill to get you ready for the HIM.

BTW, I did the 2x Oly balanced plan for my first Oly and had great success.  Good plan.

And, let me tell you having a cheering section like that never gets old.  My children (and wife, MIL) are at a ton of my races with shirts, etc.  They love it, and I find I NEED them to get me through.  Its great and I am glad they do that for you!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Schmize's Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 8