BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Sprint_DA's Mentor Group...full Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 12

2010-03-13 7:56 AM
in reply to: #2724215

User image

Davenport, IA
Subject: RE: Sprint_DA's Mentor Group...full
BonnieB - 2010-03-13 1:30 AM Ok so today was my birthday and the only excersie I got was window shopping at the mall, then a friend treated to a massage. 

you guys, we really need to post more I am tired of seeing my face at the top of page eveytime I log onWink

Happy Birthday!  A massage sounds great!  Enjoy your weekend.

2010-03-13 3:17 PM
in reply to: #2724306

User image

Veteran
Severna Park, MD
I skipped the run but was able to do 1hr on the trainer.  Feel so much better.  I don't count those 2 days as rest days...they were far from being rest full...LOL.  I would much rather attempt an ironman than have that virus again.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend everyone!
2010-03-13 6:27 PM
in reply to: #2587085

User image

Edmonton, Alberta
Happy Birthday Bonnie! Have a great time..
2010-03-14 4:19 PM

User image

Edmonton, Alberta
Sunday - adjusting to the new time. Couldn't get up earlier enough to go for a run before Church so I went straight after. Had a great run chilly and windy in spots - but over all I was well pleased with the improvements I can fell in my running. I still have a way to go but compared to last month! I'll very happy.

Hope you all had a great Sunday and a great workout.

Take care,
Whato
2010-03-15 6:11 PM
in reply to: #2725603

User image

Davenport, IA
Whato - 2010-03-14 4:19 PM Sunday - adjusting to the new time. Couldn't get up earlier enough to go for a run before Church so I went straight after. Had a great run chilly and windy in spots - but over all I was well pleased with the improvements I can fell in my running. I still have a way to go but compared to last month! I'll very happy.

Take care,
Whato

My Sunday was good.  Big hill workout on the bike.  Tackled one of the nastier hill-sets in Davenport...3 times.  Talked to the leader of my tri-club who used to be a USAC coach about my roadbike position...made some changes to it today that should help me get some speed back.  Today went for a ride with a friend who is trying to get used to her borrowed tribike, plus a bike run brick with my roommate this afternoon.  I'm shot!

What's everyone's plan for this week?
2010-03-15 6:29 PM
in reply to: #2727824

User image

Los Angeles
Sprint_DA - 2010-03-15 5:11 PM
Whato - 2010-03-14 4:19 PM Sunday - adjusting to the new time. Couldn't get up earlier enough to go for a run before Church so I went straight after. Had a great run chilly and windy in spots - but over all I was well pleased with the improvements I can fell in my running. I still have a way to go but compared to last month! I'll very happy.

Take care,
Whato

My Sunday was good.  Big hill workout on the bike.  Tackled one of the nastier hill-sets in Davenport...3 times.  Talked to the leader of my tri-club who used to be a USAC coach about my roadbike position...made some changes to it today that should help me get some speed back.  Today went for a ride with a friend who is trying to get used to her borrowed tribike, plus a bike run brick with my roommate this afternoon.  I'm shot!

I had my free swim clinic 101, learned some things that I am sure will help.  This week I plan to actually run outside more.  Ran last weekend with my dogs and my Husband  wore them all out, it was the first time I ever had to pull my dogs.  In fact a one time they all sat and watched me run around the soccer fields.  I am sure my dogs, think I am nuts.

have a great week guys!

2010-03-15 7:13 PM

User image

Veteran
Severna Park, MD
Great job, Bonnie!  You are making great progress. Have you signed up for your race yet?

Way to go Dan! attacking those hills, with your bike you must fly up them.

This week I am planning on running outside at least once, depending on the weather, and signing up at the pool. Need to really work on my swimming.

Edited by scott1223 2010-03-15 7:17 PM
2010-03-15 8:48 PM
in reply to: #2727857

User image

Davenport, IA
BonnieB - 2010-03-15 6:29 PM
Sprint_DA - 2010-03-15 5:11 PM

Take care,
Whato

I had my free swim clinic 101, learned some things that I am sure will help.  This week I plan to actually run outside more.  Ran last weekend with my dogs and my Husband  wore them all out, it was the first time I ever had to pull my dogs.  In fact a one time they all sat and watched me run around the soccer fields.  I am sure my dogs, think I am nuts.

have a great week guys!

That's awesome!  I have yet to wear out my roommate's golden retriever on a run...but he sure does just hit the floor when we get home.  I'm also glad to hear that the swim 101 was good.

Enjoy your outdoor runs!
2010-03-15 8:51 PM
in reply to: #2727929

User image

Davenport, IA
scott1223 - 2010-03-15 7:13 PM Great job, Bonnie!  You are making great progress. Have you signed up for your race yet?

Way to go Dan! attacking those hills, with your bike you must fly up them.

This week I am planning on running outside at least once, depending on the weather, and signing up at the pool. Need to really work on my swimming.

You would have to define "fly up" the hills.  There was some serious grinding and struggling yesterday, glad I've been working on higher cadences...I definitely recommend everyone working on that. 

Have fun at the pool.  It sucks for the first bit, and then gets better as you go.  At least that's the way it's gone for me.
2010-03-15 8:58 PM

User image

Davenport, IA
Forgot to share a funny story with you all too.  My roommate proposed the idea of the brick run today when we had about 2 miles to go to get back to the house.  I of course said sure, very much a why not type of idea.  I went out on the ride wearing proper cycling gear.  Jersey, vest, arm warmers, and bib shorts...didn't think anything of it because the plan was just to ride.  So we get to the house, throw on running shoes and head back out ( I ditched the vest and the helmet, of course ).  So we get back to the bike path and about a quarter mile into the run and realize that the bibs I'm wearing are slightly loose in the back, and because of this look like a huge full diaper...so there I am, first day the path's been busy and I look like I've been running in an enormous full diaper.  It was entertaining for everyone behind me, I'm sure.
2010-03-15 11:50 PM
in reply to: #2724298

User image

Los Angeles
scott1223 - 2010-03-13 6:48 AM Okay, I was out of service for 2 days...I am feeling better.  Happy Birthday - Bonnie!  Window shopping is very exhausting, carrying bags (strength training), walking to all those stores (cardio) you had a very productive day...Wink 

I was fine until I saw the Maryland basketball game last night.  After the way they played I am sick again...LOL.  Going to do a light run today wish me well.

sorry to hear you were sick and glad your better now.  I find zinc like cold eze ror zicam at the first sign really work for me.  have not had a cold take me out for a few years now.

2010-03-16 7:41 PM

User image

Veteran
Severna Park, MD
Thanks Bonnie, I will definately try the zinc next time I feel a cold coming on.   The weather here in Maryland is finally changing for the better.  Another 30 days and most if not all my training will be outside, I hope.

Dan, that must have been a sight seeing you running down the trail...LOL  too funny!

Hey Whato, hows your week looking??  Have you broken the 6min mile yet?? wish I had your speed.

2010-03-16 7:42 PM

User image

Veteran
Severna Park, MD
Thanks Bonnie, I will definately try the zinc next time I feel a cold coming on.   The weather here in Maryland is finally changing for the better.  Another 30 days and most if not all my training will be outside, I hope.

Dan, that must have been a sight seeing you running down the trail...LOL  too funny!

Hey Whato, hows your week looking??  Have you broken the 6min mile yet?? wish I had your speed.

2010-03-18 10:12 AM

User image

Davenport, IA
Ok, now that everyone's getting a little bit closer to actual race season, have you come up with any questions?
2010-03-18 7:46 PM
in reply to: #2733349

User image

Veteran
Severna Park, MD
Sprint_DA - 2010-03-18 11:12 AM Ok, now that everyone's getting a little bit closer to actual race season, have you come up with any questions?

I have a question about what to drink and eat before the event...I know I will be a little nervous the morning of the race.  Any recommendations on eating?  Also what do you think about putting gels on the bike?  Thanks Dan
2010-03-18 9:17 PM
in reply to: #2734653

User image

Davenport, IA
scott1223 - 2010-03-18 7:46 PM
Sprint_DA - 2010-03-18 11:12 AM Ok, now that everyone's getting a little bit closer to actual race season, have you come up with any questions?

I have a question about what to drink and eat before the event...I know I will be a little nervous the morning of the race.  Any recommendations on eating?  Also what do you think about putting gels on the bike?  Thanks Dan

Gels on the bike depend on the distance.  For a Sprint I don't take any nutrition beyond maybe a bottle of gatorade on the bike. 

Pre-race eats will vary from person to person, definitely something I'd play around with before early morning workouts so that you can make sure you get something that doesn't disagree with your stomach.  I'm trying to think back to what I ate last year and it seems like it was always something like eggs, yogurt, a banana, and orange juice.  I can't say I've ever really eaten anything that didn't work.  I've always heard to avoid foods with high fiber so you can avoid the pre-race race to the porta-potty.

2010-03-18 9:23 PM

User image

Davenport, IA
From my race log:

Clif Bar, banana, 2 Hammer Gels

ate breakfast of egg-whites and a peanut butter and honey sandwich

ate a banana, yogurt, cliff bar, and a packet of GU,

drank some green tea, ate breakfast (yogurt, cliff bar, 2x gu's, and water).

Always drank a bunch of water so I wouldn't dehydrate, but I don't mind having to pee before the race, usually some tea so I could get some caffeine, banana to help prevent foot cramps, orange juice because I like the taste.
2010-03-18 10:07 PM

User image

Edmonton, Alberta
Dan,

I have a bit of a strange question. Is there anything you know one can do to crap in the morning of the race? I have never been very consistent in this area. I usually just go when I need to.

Whato
2010-03-20 12:46 PM
in reply to: #2734881

User image

Davenport, IA
Whato - 2010-03-18 10:07 PM Dan,

I have a bit of a strange question. Is there anything you know one can do to crap in the morning of the race? I have never been very consistent in this area. I usually just go when I need to.

Whato

Um...that is a tough question.  Coffee?  Something with lots of fiber? Or just let it happen.  Nervous pre-race energy may take care of it for you.
2010-03-20 1:58 PM

User image

Los Angeles

I a so happy right now.  I know this is duh for some of you guys, but I just got home from actally taking the dogs for a short run and a bike ride.  It was so fun,  I had forgotten how much fun ridine a bike can be,  I love my spin classes but being outside on a beautiful and wind in your face, wow, it was fun. 

Most of my bike riding was as a kid on a old swin or as an adult on a beach cruiser where you pedaled harder uphill and coasted down so I have Question  I have bike with gears, a think its touring bike and I think it will do for my first tri, but other than high gears for flats and lower gears for hills, what else do I need to know?

2010-03-20 2:47 PM

User image

Veteran
Severna Park, MD
Thank you Dan for your input on meals before the race.  Whato, I agree with Dan and think high fiber (oatmeal, caffine or fruit) may help you.  I know it works for me...LOL.

Bonnie, I know what you mean by being outside rather than inside on the treadmill or spin class.  Just being outside is soooooo much better.  I am actually looking forward to running outside (never thought I would say that)  Now if I can just tackle my swimming I will be alright. 

As for your biking, I believe the more you ride the more comfortable you will feel on the bike but also you will become for familar with your gears.  Take the time now to practice on hills.  Make sure you shift to your higher gear before you start your climb not in the middle of it.  I use the downhills to regroup and depending on the ride can use the energy from the downhill to carry you up the next hill.  Just my 2cents...hope it helps.

Enjoy the weekend you guys

2010-03-22 5:45 AM
in reply to: #2737430

User image

Davenport, IA
BonnieB - 2010-03-20 1:58 PM

I a so happy right now.  I know this is duh for some of you guys, but I just got home from actally taking the dogs for a short run and a bike ride.  It was so fun,  I had forgotten how much fun ridine a bike can be,  I love my spin classes but being outside on a beautiful and wind in your face, wow, it was fun. 

Most of my bike riding was as a kid on a old swin or as an adult on a beach cruiser where you pedaled harder uphill and coasted down so I have Question  I have bike with gears, a think its touring bike and I think it will do for my first tri, but other than high gears for flats and lower gears for hills, what else do I need to know?

Glad to hear you enjoyed it!  There really is no comparison between the fun of riding outdoors and anything else.  My advice for biking is very similar to what Scott said, just get out and ride as much as you can.  Make sure that you get used to doing some hills and figure out what gears work best for you while you do different things.  It does sound like you have the right idea, though.
2010-03-22 8:00 PM

User image

Veteran
Severna Park, MD
Congrats Dan on your RR.  1st one of the yr., great start!   I am looking forward to getting in some long rides.  I noticed as I am driving around the area the roads are beat up pretty bad from the snow and salt (lots of pot holes)  I am  hoping to get out this week.

For this week I am getting to the pool 2x's...outside bike 2x's and will hit my 7mi mark for the run. 
2010-03-22 11:44 PM
in reply to: #2741570

User image

Los Angeles

it took me a minute to figure out RR was Road Race  and not a vacation.  So Great Job on your first race this year.  I'm excited for you.

2010-03-23 6:17 AM

User image

Veteran
Severna Park, MD
Bonnie, I like RR (rest/relaxation) we have a planned family vac. in the Rivera Maya, Mexico Apr. 6- Apr 12.  

My son was reading over my shoulder when I was typing the message to Dan and saw RR.  He asked why I was talking about the Rail Road...LOL
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Sprint_DA's Mentor Group...full Rss Feed  

of 12