BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Pilgrim's Group - Full Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 14

2008-02-12 12:58 PM
in reply to: #1206889

Regular
Tomball, TX
Subject: RE: Pilgrim's Group - Full
Josh, Unfortunately I can not train with my hubby - he travels 90% of the time. I find myself almost like a single wife I tease him about that often. I do however try to incorporate my children, especially on the weekends. If I am going for a ride I have them tag along. Granted it can slow you down a bit but having them with me it well worth it and shows them the how fun exercise can be. We also do that with running short runs - 3miles or so. Sometimes my daughter (8) prefers to ride her bike while my son and I run but last weekend she ran too and did well. How old are your kids? Guess that would make a big difference in their participation level

Juls

2008-02-12 2:18 PM
in reply to: #1151684

Regular
Land of Make Believe
Kiddos are 4yo and 11mo so I dont think they be doing any running with me

but I hope the 4yo will ride his bike today along with us...

thanks for the input guys!
2008-02-12 3:45 PM
in reply to: #1207682

User image

Regular
Melbourne
Subject: Running with hubby
I run with my hubby- usually in the mornings- we have two dogs and since we have to walk them every morning, we might as well run. He is quite a bit faster than me, so what he does is stop every 5 minutes and do pushups, situps, tricep dips or whatever for a few minutes and then runs to catch me up. We both get a good workout and the dogs love it.
This weekend we're going on our first ride together- as we don't have 2 bikes, but have one waiting for a friend this weekend- so thought it would be nice to go for a ride together.
We also swim together- I'm faster in the pool (at the moment- hubby hates swimming, but he'll get better)- but swimming isn't as social- though it is nice to see a friendly face ever few 100m or so- and it just makes it so much easier to actually go if we both go.
We've also played mixed sports together- most memorably soccer- where hubby got redcarded in our last game- that was always a blast- but we're both a bit too injury prone for team sports now.
Enjoy!
Maree
2008-02-12 9:58 PM

User image

Elite
Cheesehead, WI

My dh does not train with me. He's more of a passive sports enthusiast... as in armchair quarterback. He could not fathom running, swimming and biking all within a couple of hours or so. In fact he has a phobia about Olympic pools (the stripes freak him out) and although I got him to do one charity bike ride with me years ago, he's not wanted to do one since. However, he will take short neighborhood bike rides with me and our son (4) as a family. Some day maybe I'll get him to do one of those European bike ride vacations (think Butterfield and Robinson or Backroads)

But he is supportive (I think ) and has been my tri gear sugar daddy! Got me my aero bars, bike shorts, etc... 

2008-02-13 6:45 AM
in reply to: #1207682

User image

Regular
Alpharetta, GA
My wife and I have an exercise understanding. A long, long time ago, she and I tried to do the big 10k in Atlanta together (Peachtree Road Race). She wanted to walk it and I was a runner. The fact that people kept passing me drove me crazy and she could tell. Lesson learned was that if I am doing an event with my wife, I'm doing it to spend time with her, not beat any time. So nowadays, we do spin class 2-3 times a week and yoga once a week. Otherwise, I do my swims, runs, and outdoor rides on my own.

She's been a great support in my tri-efforts and will no-doubt be my source of motivation to finish.

Mark E.
2008-02-13 8:42 AM

Regular
Land of Make Believe
Running with wife...

Actually went pretty well... we both have a competitive streak in us... so neither of us wants to stop running before we are scheduled to walk... we did 8/4/8 run/walk/run... in minutes... not miles tuesday night... my mile splits arent going down though... but I felt like I could have run for at least another 5-8 minutes after the first 8... so that was good... I am planning to run or eliptical tonight... probably run... going to see how far I can go without stopping... hoping to do 12-4-run to finish...

Running with Kids... you never know how much your arms contribute to speed and balance until you are pushing a stroller/joging stroller while running... I think that is why my times were about the same as my other runs... because I lost a step ever 6-7 because I wasnt using my arms... I was pushing a stroller instead...

On a side note... a friend from my bike club (and fellow BTer) got me a 30 day trial membership to 24hr fitness... and she is a bit of a swimming guru... so she's offfered to help me with swimming in preparation for the race at the end of March... so that was real good news...

hope everyone is having a good week!

2008-02-13 12:26 PM
in reply to: #1209058

Regular
Tomball, TX
Josh, are you doing the LoneStar in Galveston the end of March?

Juls
2008-02-13 12:50 PM
in reply to: #1209710

Regular
Land of Make Believe
Juls,

Yes I plan to do the sprint at the LoneStar on that Saturday in Galveston.

josh
2008-02-13 6:36 PM

User image

Hi everyone!

Wow, so much to catch up on! I've been out for the count for awhile sick, but been back at full strength training this week... So great to skim through everyone's posts, now I just need to go back and read more in depth! Happy training everyone!
2008-02-13 8:17 PM

User image

Veteran
Albuquerque, NM
Sorry I’ve been out for a bit but I came down with some crazy illness the other day and haven’t felt very well. I’m trying to recover before this weekend because I have the Black warrior 50K in Alabama. The weather is supposed to be perfect so hopefully I’ll be in better shape.

It’s nice to see everyone on the board keeping things alive!

Mark, always get the gear you think you are going to enjoy. Lot’s of people have lot’s of opinions but in the end I like to think of the bike and associated gear as highly functional art, you just have to have a good feeling about it. I would recommend that you try and find a used road bike that is higher end than a new bike for $200. You might even be happy with an old steel frame. When looking for a good used road bike always go to the biggest bike nerd you can find. That person will probably not be a triathlete, we are too caught up in our multi-thousand dollar carbon machines, but will be a roadie. You might have to put up with a bit of attitude but you should be able to get the straight scoop.

I have heard good things about the Lone Star events. I have a friend that is doing the half this year. He invited me but I am doing my first 50 mile trail run the weekend prior so don’t think I’ll be in any condition to do a half.

I think Maree is going out to a triathlon this coming weekend to meet up with some folks. Maybe she can give us the low-down on the triathlon scene in Australia?

Keep up the good work everyone!
2008-02-13 9:14 PM
in reply to: #1211009

User image

Regular
Alpharetta, GA
Hey Pilgrim,

In my research, I was seriously considering stepping up a bit for a lighter frame and a bike I would likely use for a while. From what it looks like, it would only be a few hundred more dollars and I would be much happier. I don't want to go from one heavy bike to another that just has different handlebars. :-)

I just joined a local tri-club. I'm sure there will be plenty of bike geeks to share their wisdom with me.

Cheers,

Mark E.

2008-02-13 10:27 PM
in reply to: #1211125

Regular
Tomball, TX
Josh, I am planning on doing that one as well. Would be awesome to do our first tri together

Juls
2008-02-13 11:00 PM
in reply to: #1211125

User image

Veteran
Albuquerque, NM
meclavea - 2008-02-13 9:14 PM

In my research, I was seriously considering stepping up a bit for a lighter frame and a bike I would likely use for a while. From what it looks like, it would only be a few hundred more dollars and I would be much happier. I don't want to go from one heavy bike to another that just has different handlebars. :-)

I just joined a local tri-club. I'm sure there will be plenty of bike geeks to share their wisdom with me.

Excellent that you joined a tri club and great decision on spending the extra $ on getting a better bike. My own personal feeling is that you should at least go with the low end of a high end bike if you plan on racing and would like to hold on to it for a few years.
2008-02-14 6:53 AM
in reply to: #1211288

User image

Austin, Texas or Jupiter, Florida
Brian,
I've really been dragging this week even with a day off. Any recommendations to get the ticker started-back-up? It could of course be that I'm in the same classroom all day long without really doing anything all-day. But I just feel really stuck. Next week, I'm out to Vernon, and Abilene, TX.

Happy training everyone!
Matt.
2008-02-14 8:07 AM

Regular
Land of Make Believe
I usually dont post about individual workouts... but here is a copy/paste from my blog...

joshediet.blogspot.com

Thursday Morning... Early.

I usually do not post just about my morning run. However, today I had my best run since I started about 6 weeks ago. I could barley run 1 minute walk 2 minutes when I started mid-January. Today, I walked the first 100 yards and ran the remainder of my 1.87ish mile loop around my neighborhood. I did it in 23:31 which in fat guy terms, is pretty fast I think. I've started counting my calories on FitDay. Kept it right at 2000 calories yesterday. That is my goal. I hope the one or two of you that is reading this sees my blazing fast speeds!
2008-02-14 8:27 AM
in reply to: #1211541

User image

Regular
Alpharetta, GA
Way to go, Josh! That's outstanding. Congrats on sticking too it. Isn't it nice to fall into a zone/rhythm? I'm a clyde myself and am happy to just make the distance right now.

Hey Matt, are you tired because you're recovering or because you're taking Six Sigma? If I recall correctly, that Six Sigma Handbook is just about the right thickness (800 or 900 pages) to make a decent pillow. :-) Hang in there!

Mark E.

2008-02-14 9:12 AM

Regular
Tomball, TX
Great job Josh!!!! Keep it up - I have found that it does get easier You Rock!

2008-02-14 10:41 AM

User image

Regular
Alpharetta, GA
Hey Pilgrim (or anyone else),

Why do people convert their road bikes to "single speed"? What is the benefit and, more importantly, is that something I would care about as a newbie?

In my search for bikes, I have come across several of these.

Mark E.
2008-02-14 12:36 PM
in reply to: #1211422

User image

Veteran
Albuquerque, NM
GomesBolt - 2008-02-14 6:53 AM

Brian,
I've really been dragging this week even with a day off. Any recommendations to get the ticker started-back-up? It could of course be that I'm in the same classroom all day long without really doing anything all-day. But I just feel really stuck. Next week, I'm out to Vernon, and Abilene, TX.

Happy training everyone!
Matt.

It might be partly due to the marathon Sigma six training but there are a number of factors that you should be aware of when it comes to the post race period. I'll list off a few things that are quite common.

During a race your adrenaline allows you to push your body much harder than you do during training ans so your level of fatigue post race is much greater. Sometimes you can feel ok but your muscles are stilll quite fatigued and even if you have the motivation to get back out and train you may find your first few workouts sluggish. this can take a toll on your motivation if you don't expect it.

Many people experience some minor post race blues. You spend so much time and energy prepearing for and anticipating a race and then it's done. The weeks leading up to a race are exciting and you are living in a bit of a high, even if you are nervous or fearful you are still caught up in the drama of the race. when it's over you are fully back into your regular old life. this hit me pretty hard the first few races I did ad I think that is maybe why I race so often, leaping from one race to the next always caught up in the excitement. Some people lose their motivation and don't come back. I reccomend looking down the road for another race of some kind to set your sights on. Eventually you will work out what keeps you going.

Often times the physical stress of a race will lower your immune system and this can leave you feeling blah. I think this is more the case with long course events though.

another post race thing with long events is weight gain. It can be seriously frustrating to complete an ironman and then the next day you are 5 pounds heavier! When you race long events your body does a lot to adapt to the stress and one of those things is to release anti-diuretic hormone (ADH). This causes you body to retain fluids and so you get a lot of post race weight gain and then after a few days you start to pee like crazy.

Hope some of this helps.
2008-02-14 12:41 PM

User image

Veteran
Albuquerque, NM
luhitech - 2008-02-14 8:07 AM

I usually dont post about individual workouts... but here is a copy/paste from my blog...

joshediet.blogspot.com

Thursday Morning... Early.

I usually do not post just about my morning run. However, today I had my best run since I started about 6 weeks ago. I could barley run 1 minute walk 2 minutes when I started mid-January. Today, I walked the first 100 yards and ran the remainder of my 1.87ish mile loop around my neighborhood. I did it in 23:31 which in fat guy terms, is pretty fast I think. I've started counting my calories on FitDay. Kept it right at 2000 calories yesterday. That is my goal. I hope the one or two of you that is reading this sees my blazing fast speeds!

Great job Josh!
2008-02-14 12:51 PM

Regular
Land of Make Believe
Someone mentioned the "Zone", that is exactly what it felt like. I remember back when I was playing football and part of my summer training was to do some longer runs, and every once in a while I'd hit this zone where I felt like I could really push it without getting too tired. That is what today felt like. It was euphoric. If it had not been 5:50 when I got done I might have let out a good "HELL YA!". I did get a good "Tiger Fist Pump" in though.

Thanks for all the feedback!

2008-02-14 12:53 PM
in reply to: #1211954

User image

Veteran
Albuquerque, NM
meclavea - 2008-02-14 10:41 AM

Hey Pilgrim (or anyone else),

Why do people convert their road bikes to "single speed"? What is the benefit and, more importantly, is that something I would care about as a newbie?

In my search for bikes, I have come across several of these.

Mark E.

Mark, the single speed bike is called a "Fixie" as in fixed gear and it is not something you need to worry about unless you want to be an unber-cool metropolitan kind of guy or you can find a group of hard core old roadies. The fixie is like a work of art and the people who used to own them took great pride in them as they were usually hand built by the owner from scavenged parts. The benifit of a fixie is the great workout it can offer. I guess it is somewhat like running fartlicks but you don't have the same control. On a fixie you have only one gear and you can not stop peadling so if it is downhill you are peadling like crazy and if you are climbing your are grinding away, there is never any rest. You can free wheel (stop peadling) on some of the current single speed bikes but they are not true fixies and are to be distained. It is also very trendy now to have a fixie and ride it around as your main transportation in large metro areas, I saw a lot of them among young hipsters in San Francisco but they are not the old roadies who whould just as soon sleep with their fixie as their wife. The hipster crowd ofent couldn't tell you the first thing about their bike.

A close cousin to the fixie is the track bike, also single speed but it has no breaks. The track bike has a single large from sproket and a single small back sproket. Its sole purpose is to go around a track as fast as possible so everything is completely stripped down.
2008-02-14 7:53 PM

User image

Regular
Melbourne
That's awesome Josh- it must feel great to see all your hard work paying off!
You'll be rocketing in the Longhorn!
2008-02-15 6:37 AM
in reply to: #1213388

Regular
Land of Make Believe
mareelouise - 2008-02-14 7:53 PM
You'll be rocketing in the Longhorn!

Maree... heh... rocketing... now that is funny!... thanks for the support!

Went on another run this mornin just for the heck of it... extended the distance of my morning run/walk to 2.8 miles... today was an extra one, I want to try to do SOMETHING active every day... and it is supposed to rain this afternoon, and I was up at 5:30 anyway...

2008-02-15 10:44 AM

User image

Regular
Alpharetta, GA
Is this a good buy? Also, I'm 5'9". Is 54 cm too small? From what I've read 5'9" is in between 54 and 56.

One last thing, is this a woman's bike? Do they still differentiate?

CANNONDALE R600 ROAD BIKE - $595

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Reply to: [email protected]
Date: 2008-02-14, 6:38PM EST

Red CAAC 4. 54 cm. Slice podium fork. 700 cc Mavic CXP21 wheels. Look pedals. Shimano 9-speed. Profile design clip on aerobars. Cateye computer. Excellent condition. No dings, chips or scratches. Only 100 total miles!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mark E.

Edited by meclavea 2008-02-15 10:59 AM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Pilgrim's Group - Full Rss Feed  

of 14