Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 14

2008-01-11 11:11 PM

User image

Veteran
Albuquerque, NM
Subject: Pilgrim's Group - Full
NAME: Brian Pilgrim

STORY: I can't exactly recall how I learned about triathlon but when I was about 32 I had this burning desire to do a triathlon so I got online and think I came across Slowtwitch.com. I must have gotten distracted or something because about 6 years later I had yet to do a triathlon or even think about one and then once again I was suddenly hit with the desire. At that point I weighed in at about 275 and was carrying a lot of "table muscle" I hated the way I looked and felt and was nervous about putting myself in a situation where all these hard-body athletes would see me trying to be something I was so obviously not. However, I was more worried about my health and my hatered of being fat than I was about what others might think of me so I went straight away and registered for my first sprint distance triathlon before I could think much mor about it. The registration process was both scary and exciting. I continue to race triathlon and running events to keep fit, to challenge myself and to meet like minded people. I have the endurance bug bad and consider myself a very experienced newbie. I am entering my 4th year of triathlon but have competed in many short course races as well as a few half-irons and 4 iron distance races. I also have competed in a couple ultra-cycling events and one ultramarathon.

FAMILY STATUS: I'm happily married and have one son still living at home. My wife and son became interested in triathlon once I started racing and now we race together at most events. My wife and I even did Ironman Kentucky together last year.

CURRENT TRAINING: I'll post my training totals for 2007 below.
2007 totals
Bike: 6013.18 Miles
Run: 1024.45 Miles
Swim: 215089.4 Meters

Total hours: 636
Weekly average: 12.2
Swim %: 12
Bike %: 60
Run %: 28

You can see that I spend a lot of time on the bike and probably neglect my swimming a bit. I like to train long and plan to spend more time running this year because it is my weak point at the iron distance.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: My 2007 season:
December: Saturday 9th Polar Bear Triathlon, WSMR, NM
January: Monday 1st 200K Brevet, Arlington, TX
February: Saturday 3rd 300K Brevet, Casa Grande, AZ
February: Sunday 10th John Stermer Duathlon, WSMR, NM
March: Sunday 24th Alpine Triathlon, Alpine, TX
April: Sunday 1st MVTC Triathlon, Las Cruces, NM
April: Sunday 15th Ironman Arizona, Tempe, AZ
April: Sunday 29th Atomic Man Duathlon, Los Alamos, NM
May: Sunday 6th Ransom Canyon Triathlon, Ransom Canyon, TX
May: Sunday 13th Jay Benson Triathlon, Albuquerque, NM
May: Sunday 20th Buffman & Squeaky Triathlon, Lubbock, TX
June: Saturday 2nd Deuce Man 70.3, Show Low, AZ
June: Saturday 16th Gallup Triathlon, Gallup, NM
June: Sunday 24th Buffalo Springs Lake Triathlon 70.3, Lubbock, TX
June: Saturday 30th Grady Williams Memorial Freedom Days Triathlon, Farmington, NM
July: Sunday 8th Bottomless Triathlon, Roswell, NM
July: Sunday 22nd Mountain Man 70.3, Flagstaff, AZ
August: Saturday 12th Socorro Chili Harvest Triathlon, Socorro, NM
August: Sunday 26th Ironman Louisville, Louisville, KY
October: Sunday 28th Soma half, Tempe, AZ
November: Sunday 11th Silverman iron distance, Henderson, NV

2008 RACES: I am registered for Ironman Coeur d'Alene and Ironman Arizona (the November race) but this year my sights are set on ultramarathon. I am already registered for two 50 mile races and may do another couple but there is something out there that I want to do that honestly scares me, a 100 mile race. I'm very seriously considering the Lean Horse Hundred in August this year because it is in my home state (where I was born not where I live) of South dakota.

WEIGHTLOSS: I began my triathlon life as a clydesdale and still weigh in at 204. I have been the Clydesdale Champion of my region, New Mexico and West Texas, for two years straight so I have decided to run age group at regional races but I will still race Clyde at national level races.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOR: I understand that from the stand point of a true beginner I look like an experienced, maybe even intimidating triathlete but I am not all that crusty. I can't immagine not always feeling like a newbie myself. I hunger after new experiences and new challenges so the freshness is always right there for me and I am excited not only about my journey but about the journey of others. I believe in this sport and its community and hope to con...err, invite many new people into it. On a more practicle note I am on BT about once a day though that is usually to update my training logs...there is more I can give.

Edited by Pilgrim 2008-01-18 9:58 PM

2008-01-13 10:26 AM
in reply to: #1151684

Subject: RE: Pilgrim's Group - Open
I am interested in what it exaclty takes to train for a triathlon. Your profile fits how I feel at this time I have lost 105 lbs and would love to have your guidance to help me make the decision on is this something I can do and exactly what it takes. The race I am considering will be at the begining of May. I do workout, but would like to see what you do to train and see if I can do that by May. Is there a way you can give me a sample guide to what you do and how long it takes per day and how many months to train for an event like this. Thank you for your help. Tammy
2008-01-13 8:20 PM

User image

Veteran
Albuquerque, NM
Hey Tammy, the fact that you have already lost 105 pounds suggests to me that you have what it takes to give triathlon a go, great job! I also think that you have enough time to get ready for an event that takes place in May. Before I go too far toward getting started I'd like to ask you some questions so we can get a decent starting place.

What is your history with sports?

What is your current workout?

How are your running, biking and swimming now both in terms of skill and how much you can do (either time or distance)?

What is your favorite sport of the three?

What are the distances involved in your event in May? (are you by chance doing the Tempe women's only Tri?)

What is your goal for the event in May?

How much time per week do you think you have to devote to training?

Is your family supportive of your training?

Please feel free to respond using the personal message function or post back here. You can also take a look at my training logs on BT but don't worry about trying to do what I am doing because right now I'm training for a series of ultramarathons and then will roll over into Ironman training and you don't need to be doing that much unless you too were training for the same kinds of events.

I also maintain a blog on Blogger at: http://clydeologist.blogspot.com/
it's just my sports related rambling but it might help you feel like you know me a bit better.

Also, be sure to use your BT training log. As soon as I get at least some of the info above we can put together a training plan and have you on your way. I think this is going to be fun, welcome to the world of triathlon!

Brian
2008-01-13 8:51 PM
in reply to: #1153575

User image

Elite
Cheesehead, WI

Hi ya Pilgrim-Can I join up with your team?

My name is Sarah. I've been into triathlon since July of 2006. I really love what the sport has done for me physically, emotionally and mentally. I've done 3 sprints, 2 mini tris and one 4 miler race. I plan on a sprint in June and am gearing up for an Olympic in August and may do a duathlon or another tri somewhere along the way too.

Your experience and enthusiasm is awesome! I am a member of a local tri club but I really 'learn' here on BT or from reading. I am not sure how to put together training times with family obligations and want to make the most of my time (for example - I may cut a bike workout short to get a run in too). And I'm clueless on the nutrition for an oly and am not a big fan of gu or gels

Oh yeah, I'm no spring chick either. I'm 45 (gosh I can't believe how fast time flew by), married, mom to a preschooler, and work part time at the Y. However, tomorrow I will be starting a new job (temp though) so my training will get a bit wacky since I have to leave for work by 645 am. (Normally I train at 5 am til about 630 then hit the showers).

Prior to triathlon - I had biked for years and did many charity rides and a century with TNT. I was not a runner - at all! And figured that since I had been on a swim team as a kid that I'd be able to swim with ease. Wow! Was I in for a rude awakening...first day at the pool could barely swim 25 meters! But since then, I've practiced and taken some lessons and enjoy my swimming. I also won a wetsuit here on BT last month so hopefully my OWS will not be fraught with panic. (for some reason at races I tend to nearly hyperventilate during the swim) As for running, I've improved but still am slow but really like the 'zone' it offers while I'm chuggin' along.

Anyhow, rather than ramble on and on... am I in?

2008-01-13 9:35 PM

User image

Veteran
Albuquerque, NM
Hey Sarah, sure you are in, welcome! The new job, family and the fact that you are now shoveling snow for exercise will make for some difficulties in training but you clearly have the motivation as is shown in your training logs. Let’s see how your new work schedule plays out for now because you have plenty of time and seem to have a pretty good base of fitness.

In looking at your totals for 2007 I would say you might spend more time on the bike relative to your running and swimming and it looks like you might be doing that already. I think that if you are pressed for time right now and since your races are far enough away you might consider doing some quality strength work focused on building power in your legs.

You are in luck as far as nutrition goes. I have not been a fan of gels wither but I am training myself to take them because at longer distances I have discovered that you really need to train yourself to eat anything and everything. Having said that though I have successfully completed at least two of my Ironman races without taking a single gel!

You can defiantly get through an Oly without them but as the season goes on we might want to look more closely at this. Are you comfortable carrying something in your hands when you run? I ask because I would suggest carrying a water bottle, the Nathan Quick Draw is my preferred weapon and they now even have one that is designed to fit a woman’s hand! http://www.nathansports.com/our_products/hydration_nutrition/small_...

Anyway, you can get all the calories you need in an Oly from liquids and it is best to have something with you so you can kind of slow drip them into your system as opposed to trying to chug some down at aid stations. As the season progresses we can go into detail about nutrition planning. At the sprint distance nutrition is almost a non-issue but as you go longer it is more important and once you hit the iron distance the race is almost nothing but proper nutrition.

Feel free to contact me via personal messages if you prefer.

Brian
2008-01-14 1:17 PM

Regular
Land of Make Believe
Pilgrim,

I'd like to join your group as well... My first event is scheduled for the end of March... a sprint...

I'm 317ish... 33 years old... basically doing this to get into shape at this point... started doing a 7 week program to run a 5k... I bike pretty well... rides of 20+ miles are no problem... I've done rides over 40 miles recent past (last few months) although I ahvent done much biking lately...

swimming is going to be the issue for me, mainly finding the time to do it and getting some pointers to make my swimming better...

josh

Edited by luhitech 2008-01-14 1:20 PM

2008-01-14 1:38 PM

Regular
Tomball, TX
Hi Brian, can I join your group? Reading your opening paragram I saw myself. I am overweight and have thought about doing a tri for over a year. Guess what, it still hasn't happened! I guess I need to just sign up and then I have to train, right? I feel intimidated by the idea of competing in a sport I know nothing about. I feel pretty comfortable on a bike (riding often with my kiddos) and running(certainly not fast) but swimming will be my struggle points. I am happily married for 10 years and have two wonderful children (10 and 8). My husband travels, for Marriott, and I do most of my workouts in the gym unless my hubby happens to be home. I WANT to do this in 2008!!! I would like to sign up for the sprint in Moody Gardens, Galveston Tx the end of March. Is that enough time? Your thoughts? Well, since I am writing this I guess if you will have me, I am now in for the long haul!
2008-01-14 3:21 PM

User image

Hi Pilgrim! I'm hoping to join in the fun with your group if that's alright!

A little about me, I'm a 30 yr old stay-at-home mom with two little ones... For the past year or so I've been working out consistently, recovering from a difficult bed-ridden pregnancy that left me out of shape and overweight. I'm in decent shape at present, but not super-fit by any stretch of the imagination. My goal this year is to complete a sprint tri the beginning of June. If all goes well, there's another sprint in Sept that I'm eyeing.

Prior to having children I was a competitive swim coach (club & high school) and swam competitively myself for 10 years, so no surprise, the swim is my strong suit. I'm working on my run diligently (I'm actually training for a 5K in March as extra incentive), and I am decent on the bike-- I can go long distance fine, just not especially fast.

I'm working on putting a training program together, hopefully will have that done here in the next couple of days so I'm more organized. Today I ran/walked 2.5 miles and swam 1 mile. Biking tomorrow.

I'm hoping that this forum will help give me a little guidance (haven't done a tri since I was 15) and moral support! Thanks for helping us out on our respective journeys! All the best to you!
2008-01-14 3:29 PM

New user

Hi Brian,

I would like to join your group. My name is Linda and I want to participate in my first tri (women's only) this October. I have been wanting to get in better physical shape and have not been exercising regularly for almost half a year now. I have run in the past, though not competitively. About 6 years ago I used to run few miles 3 - 4x/week by myself. I used to swim a lot when I was younger but have not done that in some time, other than recreational swimming (beach, scuba) a few times a year. I used to have a bike, but I sold it. Bottom line: I am out of shape but I want to do this and I know that having experienced guidance would be a great help to me. And I like the way you said that you can't always imagine not feeling like a newbie. :-)

I *walked* my first Walk/Run 5K this past weekend and signed up for two more in the upcoming months. I plan to begin running/walking over the next few weeks and currently walk in my neighborhood 3 - 4x a week. I must add that I am a little intimidated [as you can imagine], reading through these threads.

A little background:
I'm 42; happily in a supportive relationship; no kids; think I can train about 10 hours a week, (maybe more, but right now that seems like a lot)!

Please let me know if you have any other questions and if you still have room in your group.

Thanks!
2008-01-14 5:32 PM

User image

Hi Brian,
I think you're getting close to full but if you've got room for one more count me in. I'm 46, nearing 47, married with a 7 year old son. I did a few triathlons in 2005, and kept the training up with the intent of repeating in 2006, but that didn't happen for a number of reasons, none of which are very good.
I've been browsing around BT waiting for the right moment to get back into things, and have decided now is probably best. I do well with structured programs and have been trying to pick a training program to use to get ready for the season, a Sprint in June, but I'd like to start sooner. I was originally thinking of the 3x balanced 20 week, but I'm not so sure that's the right one either.
My biggest challenge is travel. I live part of the year in Canada, and part of the year in the Bahamas. I travel frequently between the two locations, but also spend a lot of time on the road.
Let me know if there's room... and I'd appreciate thoughts on the travel and training thing.
By the way, I have a program posted to start today, but will have to redo it since I'm travelling at the moment.

Thanks,
Bob
2008-01-14 7:58 PM
in reply to: #1155774

User image

Elite
Cheesehead, WI

bjenning - 2008-01-14 5:32 PM  My biggest challenge is travel. I live part of the year in Canada, and part of the year in the Bahamas. I travel frequently between the two locations, but also spend a lot of time on the road.  Thanks, Bob

Bob! You get the best of both worlds dude! Just think of all the outdoor stuff you can do in the Bahamas...running in warm breezes, biking in warm sunshine, and swimming in azure ocean waters...aaaahhhh! And then in Canada, same stuff - just have to load on some clothes (well not for swimming of course unless its a polar plunge ). But as someone who used to travel a great deal, I know only too well how life on the road goes lots of times... late dinners, airport layovers, and very little time to actually see the places you do business in. But dang, Bahamas? Oooooh! Sounds nice to this snowbound cheesehead

2008-01-14 10:03 PM

User image

Veteran
Albuquerque, NM
Wow, see what happens when I try and go to work!

luhitech
juls2bfit
brighton
ljbresna
bjenning

You are all welcome. In reading your posts there are a few general things that I would like to say. First off is that the triathlon community is a very accepting community so you can put to rest any fears you might have of not belonging or not being accepted. There is a kind of saying floating around in the triathlon world that has variations but basically goes DFL is better than DNF which is better than DNS. That means Dead F'ing Last is better than Did Not Finish which is better than Did Not Show. In triathlon the thing that is valued is effort. Sure, we are all impressed by speed and endurance and try to make improvements in those things but when it comes down to it what matters most is your attempt at self-improvement and having the courage to go out on a limb and challenge yourselves.

Let me address a couple things about training and I should tell you that I am coming from the perspective that people here want to train well enough to finish, hopefully without suffering out on the course too much, and that we are all primarily here to have a good time.

If you have no fitness base at all, so literally off the couch, and you can devote up to a maximum of maybe 6 hours to training in your heaviest week or two of training then you should be able to comfortably finish a sprint distance triathlon on a 12 week training cycle. If you have some fitness base then you can get ready sooner. I don’t see anyone who seems to have goal races that are too soon however the sooner your first race the sooner we should take a look at your training plans.

For those who aren’t racing until later in the season, say June or later, I would recommend that you either poke around for a couple local 5K races or some non-competitive bike rides, sometimes organized centuries will also have 25 and 50 mile options. If you think you might want to try another local triathlon consider that too, I feel like most people are too conservative when planning for their first race.

Ok, I’ll just keep going on so I better stop. I want to encourage a few things.

Please start keeping your training logs on BT so I can check in, provide pointers and encouragement.

Please feel free to post direct questions either on my BT blog through the personal message or here on this board.

Please share your thoughts, worries or experiences with the group because we all learn and benefit from each other.

If anyone is looking for a good beginner’s book I like “Triathlon Training” by Michael Finch. It has plans from spring to Ironman and is easy to follow and very informative. Books like Joel Friel’s The Triathlete’s Training bible, while excellent, is very dense and difficult to easily work with.

Happy training!

Edited by Pilgrim 2008-01-14 11:00 PM
2008-01-14 11:24 PM

User image

Regular
Melbourne
Hi,

I'm hoping you're still open for one more...I'm pretty much a newbie to the sport- but keen to get in a Sprint by the end of our (Australian) season and then maybe a full length early next season. Anyone, let me know whether you have room for one more.
Cheers

Maree
2008-01-15 1:41 AM

User image

Henderson, Nv
Brian, I would love to be a part of your group. I live in Las Vegas and just turned 51. I played basketball in college after losing 65 pounds, that was many years ago. I have that burning desire to finish a triathlon. I am very motivated by the many stories I read on your site. I work swing shift and have all day to work out. Last summer I got started with training but did not have anyone who shared my interest. I am married with a daughter and a son whose wife just gave birth to my first grandchild. I am very self motivated but could sure use some encouragement...Thanks, Sarah
2008-01-15 7:25 AM
in reply to: #1156332

Regular
Tomball, TX
Yippee!! Okay, no turning back now! Looking forward to a great training process! THANKS SO MUCH Oh, by the way, I love the DFL, DFN, DNS thought! Thanks for sharing.
2008-01-15 7:35 AM

User image

Veteran
Albuquerque, NM
Welcome, mareelouise and sknippel!

We are closing in on full at this point. I first want to say how happy I am to have a Canadian and Australian in the group because it helps to give you an idea of just how widespread and close knit the triathlon community really is. It has done more for me than just provide exercise and an outlet for my competitive side, it has become a major social outlet and means of meeting a lot of neat people that I otherwise would probably not have met.

So to that end I wanted to introduce you to the world of triathlon blogging.

I was thinking about where I get much of my motivation to train and race and I think that what helps me most are people on my team, the New Mexico Outlaws, and many of the triathlon blogs that I read. Some of you may already know that there is a whole host of blogs out there written by all kinds of people. If you haven’t done so already you might see if there is a local tri club in your area or a local single sport club that can also help support your training and motivation.

I also wanted to share with you some links to blogs I read. I’m not saying these are necessarily the best around but the thing is you can find one blog and then get links to other blogs and eventually find the ones you enjoy.

So, in no particular order:
Ok, this is my wife…she is one of the best bloggers out there, seriously, that’s not just me talking. http://athenadiaries.blogspot.com/
Nevada http://1stepcloser2im.blogspot.com/
Australia http://lbtepa.blogspot.com/
Florida http://clydesdaleshavebigbikes.blogspot.com/
Arizona http://www.commonmansyndrome.com/
Colorado http://couchpotato-to-ironman.blogspot.com/
Arizona http://mommelisa.blogspot.com/
Believe it or not, a Canadian who lives and works in the Cayman Islands http://brentbuckner.blogspot.com/
England http://errumm.blogspot.com/
New Zealand http://sub6.blogspot.com/
Wisconsin http://laurajwimmer.blogspot.com/
Texas http://trigreyhound.blogspot.com/
Here is a group blog of people who will be doing Ironman Coeur D’Alene this year, it has a very good list of blogs on the sidebar. http://imcda2008.blogspot.com/

There are a ton out there and I hope I have at least gotten close to home to everyone in one way or another.

Oh, I’ll post the link to my blog again as well. http://clydeologist.blogspot.com/

Again, I want to remind folks to start using your training logs and lets start talking about your race goals, identifying races etc…I think that once we put some things out there we will be on our way.

My next race is the Black Warrior 50K, http://www.blackwarrior50k.com/an ultramarathon in Northern Alabama. I am very excited about this race because it will be my first trail race and running in the woods in Alabama is nice too. I have been training by trying to increase my running mileage, which has left my bike and swim a bit neglected but I can build that up as I approach IMCdA. My big reason for doing all the early season marathons and ultras is to strengthen my run at the iron distance, my weakest distance and my weakest event at that distance.

2008-01-15 11:45 AM

New user
MN
Hello,

Looks like you have quite a few people in your group already.... if you have room for me, please let me know, and I will post about myself!

Kristin
2008-01-15 12:31 PM
in reply to: #1156550

User image

Henderson, Nv
Yes!!!!! Thanks so much: looking forward to achieving my dream with a group of awesome people!!!!
2008-01-15 2:39 PM

User image

Veteran
Albuquerque, NM
Welcome KrisMarie, we'd love to have you so tell us a bit about yourself.
2008-01-15 4:22 PM

User image

Regular
Melbourne
Great,
thanks for taking me on board- I'll introduce myself then.
I'm a complete newbie to the sport- about to turn 40 and keen to do a Super Sprint at the end of March (Brooks Series Race 6 at St Kilda on March 30 300m/ 10km/ 3km) and then a full blown race in our spring- so September.
I'd put on a bit of weight last year, but nothing too major- and that seems to be dropping off since I started the Half Iron Man training programme on Jan 4- still sticking to it- my training log is pretty much up to date.
I am managing the times- but am so incredibly slow- I really want to improve my speed across all 3 disciplines.
Hubby says my running technique is terrible- so I think I maybe need to find a running coach/ tutor- I don't really like running and never have, but maybe if I could do it properly I might.
I was a very good swimmer at school- could probably do with some stroke correction, but am pretty comfortable freestyling away- again- just need to improve my speed.
Bike is fine- enjoy it- trying to get a consistent cadence up around 90- substituting some bike time with Spin classes.
Really looking forward to learning from you all and sharing the experience!
Take care
Maree
2008-01-15 8:01 PM
in reply to: #1156038

User image

Hey Sarah,  Yes it's true, I'm very fortunate... I have to confess that I like training in the Bahamas... but when I come back to Canada and have to run or bike up a hill higher than 1 meter I'm toast... and did I mention the difference in water temperature?!  Cheers!

2008-01-15 9:32 PM

User image

Elite
Cheesehead, WI

Thanks Pilgrim for all those blogs! Wow! I'm too beat to read 'em now but maybe by the weekend I'll have some time to check them out.

Looks like a great group of peeps here too !

BTW, does anyone know how to make each of our names a hyperlink to our training log? I would like to have a list of you all on my page and be able to 'click' on your names to bring me right to your log to leave inspires.

2008-01-15 10:26 PM

User image

Veteran
Albuquerque, NM
Ok, Bob posed a couple issues with me that I thought would be instructive, if not completely applicable, to everyone in the group.

Living in Canada there is quite a lot of snow this time of year so running outside becomes a challenge but sometimes you just can’t bear taking another step on the treadmill, or as many people I know call it, the Dreadmill.

I am not entirely unsympathetic to the challenges of snow running having done a bit, not too successfully because I was unprepared, myself just a couple days ago. One issue is wet and cold feet. I would suggest wearing gaiters that are designed for cross country skiing and a pair of all weather shoes, all terrain running shoes. New Balance has men’s and women’s models, the NB 921

Men http://clothing.pricegrabber.com/mens-athletic-shoes/m/42760331/sea...

Women http://clothing.pricegrabber.com/womens-boots/m/42760332/search=New...

The other thing you can do is take an old pair of running shoes and use a spray on water repellent and turn them into “Screw Shoes” http://www.skyrunner.com/screwshoe.htm
They really do work!

If this does not work out for you try cross training. I enjoy snowshoe running and will actually be doing a 5K snowshoe race January 26th. Cross Country skiing is another good activity. Both of these will keep up your leg strength and cardiovascular system. Yet another alternative is water running. If you have access to a swimming pool you can run in the pool. You can actually purchase pool running gear, basically a flotation belt and often some Styrofoam dumbbells. I have a friend who became injured a month before a marathon and she did the while final month of her marathon training pool running and did great.

The most important thing you can do during your off season is keep up with fitness activities that keep you feeling fresh and motivated. No matter where you live the bulk of the racing will begin to take place when you have already had some time for sport specific training in the run, bike and swim. If you carry in a nice base of cardiovascular and muscular fitness you will snap back from the off season faster than the competition.

Then next issue has to do with consistency and training plans. Both consistency and training plans are important and the better you can stick to them the better off you will be. However, if you happen to have a life outside triathlon you may not be able to be consistent in your training and that is ok. You do the best you can in meeting your scheduled workouts but when you can’t make it you will probably not be harmed by missing one or two workouts here and there. If you are regularly disrupted in your training the it is probably best to take a broader view of your training plan and look at how much time it calls for in each event and try and meet those time goals.

Do not try to make up missed workouts. Often times people miss a workout and so try to make it up by doing multiple workouts in one day or multiple workouts several days in a row without recovery or much longer workouts on one day than your schedule calls for. Trying to make up missed workouts is a recipe for injury and then you will be missing all kinds of workouts, trust me ?

I am very happy to see you all are starting to talk to each other on this board! You Rock!
2008-01-16 10:24 AM
in reply to: #1158743

User image

Sarah,  I think what you're looking for re: ("how to make each of our names a hyperlink to our training log", is at the bottom of each message post.  There's a row of icons, one of which is logs.  They should be specific to that person... at least that's what happened when I clicked on yours! 

Bob 
PS - Don't check mine, I haven't figured out how to update it yet!

2008-01-16 10:53 AM
in reply to: #1158835

User image

Love the suggestions for the Wintertime training... especially the screw shoes since the slipping/sliding thing was my major downfall (no pun intended).  At 5am this morning I eagerly gathered the sheet metal screws (which for some reason I just happened to have), my cordless drill,  and then went looking for my "Winter Runners", which for some reason I didn't have... I never found them, so determined to do something before getting on the plane today I went out with my newer pair of running shoes (no screws).  It was "-18c", basically Zero Farenheit, AND DARK!  As I set off on my romp through the 2 inches of fresh fallen snow I tried to focus on the pretty shimmering ice crystals reflecting the lights from the street lamps.  This helped greatly to offset the less than pleasant experience of deeply inhaled frozen air!  It was right about this time that I hit my first patch of ice, which was hidden by the beautiful fresh fallen snow!  Fortunately I recovered and fell on my bum which is well padded from my Christmas holidays.  I only fell one more time, but I was tripped in this case by a newspaper that had frozen to the ground under the beautiful new fallen snow! In the end I called it quits after 20 mins... but with 2 lessons to take away!

1) Something to be said for the concept of screw shoes
2) It feels really good to just get started, even if it hurts a little!

PS - I called my wife later to find out what happened to my winter runners... her response. "Those old things?  You got new ones so I threw them out what do you need more than one pair of running shoes for anyway?"  Please note, that she must have 40 pairs of shoes herself... I hope she can't access this forum

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Pilgrim's Group - Full Rss Feed  

of 14