BT Development Mentor Program Archives » lkagop's Training Group Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 33

2008-08-19 5:10 PM
in reply to: #1385359

User image

Regular
Studio City
Subject: RE: So Fresh So Clean's Group - Closed (...ish, send me a pm)

Hmm. A video heh? I'll do one, but it will focus on next years season. This season wasn't that great for me , but I plan on kicking but next year.

The weakest sport for me is running. So I took Lora's advice, among others who love it, and ordered ChiRunning. I'll fill you in on how I do. I still haven't received it yet! I wish it would get here soon. The weather has been great for running, biking, etc. No humidity!! Where'd it all go? I guess I shouldn't complain

How do you submit a video?

2008-08-21 2:24 PM

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN

1. working on my video profile

2. working on getting my swim videoed to send to Greg.

2008-08-21 2:37 PM
in reply to: #1611875

User image

Master
Loveland, Ohio
mmh - 2008-08-18 8:05 PM

GIRLS: I just ordered a couple of running skirts - skirtsports brand a marathon girl and a gym girl - can't wait. Can you believe I can't get them here?? Had to order them from the US but they should be here in a couple of weeks. Can you tell I am looking forward to warmer weather??

I'll be ordering their tri shorts and a tri top, hopefully in a couple weeks.  They seem to really get the things we women hate about our bodies and work to flatter us.  Let me know how yours work out.

2008-08-21 2:42 PM

User image

Regular
Studio City
Does anyone know how to change your avatar (pic)? For some reason I can't seem to find where I can download pics anymore! It's driving me crazy.
2008-08-21 4:42 PM
in reply to: #1619515

User image

Extreme Veteran

I do not believe it - woke up this morning and saw SUNSHINE!!! After 15 days of rain this is pretty cool. There are still a bunch of black clouds looming so I am not hopeful it will last too long but at this stage I'll take what I can get. 

Lora, The skirts should arrive in the next week so I'll let you know. Will be too cold to wear them here for a bit which will drive me crazy

2008-08-22 10:46 PM

User image

Supersonicus Idioticus
Thunder Bay, ON
Toni -
Go to the control panel (top left of web page), then go to the bottom of the webpage. You should find two slots where you can upload pictures.

Planning a run or a swim this weekend... I know it's not much, but I've been working too much overtime lately.

So they got in this ultrasound system at work today, and it was so fun to play with - checking out people's carotid artery, radial artery etc. I just thought I'd share that.

Edited by So Fresh So Clean 2008-08-22 10:47 PM

2008-08-23 6:37 AM

User image

New user

Greg,

My wife is the special imaging supervisor and PACKS administer at the Hospital where we live.

Hello all,

I am horribly sorry to have joined you so late.  I hope you wont hold it against me!  I am a 36 year old career FF/EMT in Kentucky, who almost tipped a whopping 200 pound at the beginning of the year.  I started going to the gym and doing a Turbo Kick class to get my butt in shape.  I have been an athlete all my life and just become complacent.  Not really sure why I wanted to do a triathlon but as most of you konw once you do I guess your here to stay.  I have dropped about 30 ponds since the start of teh year still have about 2 or 3 to go on my gutt and then I will be happy.  I think I will be able to stay in the aero position longer with out it and it's an eye soar!

Anyway thank you for letting me in, I have read through most of the posts to get my self cought up and you all sound like the right group for me so Thanks again!

2008-08-23 4:23 PM

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
Hey Matt, welcome to the group.  We've got a good group of boys and girls here and hope you can add to it.  And congrats on losing the weight, its never an easy thing to do.
2008-08-23 11:27 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Hi Matt,

The more the merrier; welcome aboard.

Yes, congratulations on the weight loss - big effort.

2008-08-25 12:16 PM

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN
Welcome aboard Matt!
2008-08-26 7:37 AM
in reply to: #1622850

User image

Master
Loveland, Ohio
Welcome to the group, Matt, and congrats on the weight loss!

2008-08-26 12:31 PM

User image

Supersonicus Idioticus
Thunder Bay, ON
Hey!

Congratz first of all on the weightloss! And I know your knees, lungs etc. will thank you later. The trick to fighting complacency is to just do two weeks of exercise and it will kick you in gear.

So just a reminder, the best way to ask a question is to post it in my log-less training log. Other than that, I hope you enjoy your time here!

Peace.
2008-08-27 1:57 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Hi all,

I have a dilema I am hoping you can help me with.

I was emailed with details of a fun distance triathlon coming up in 4 weeks. The swim as you know is my biggest challenge and this one is only 150m. I am not there yet (in one go) but I am confident I can do that - bike is only 12k and run is only 2 or 3k so all good distances for my first one.

The other plus is it is a small tri and I like the idea that my first one is a bit more sedate than the one I had scheduled as my first.

Here is the problem.... I have told 2 people about this tri and where it is and one said there is no way they would swim in the pond, the water is purple and it is disgusting and the second said the same and they got sick from it.

I really want to do it but am concerned I am putting my bigger picture goals at risk. I spent the first half of this year and and the end of last year with one illness or injury after another and really do not want to get sick when I am just finding some form.

It may sound like I have made up my mind already but I really haven't; I am still firmly in two minds.

Your wisdom is eagerly awaited  

2008-08-27 2:07 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Forgot to say I got my running skirts today - soo cool. Now all I need is some sunshine and warm weather!!  Sizing is a bit dicey though I ordered the XS and they are still a smidge loose - they said order on the larger side and I am glad I didn't listen or I would have been sending them back.

Got a pink marathon girl and a black gym girl - both are good and I can't wait to try them out.

Sorry boys I know this is of no interest to you at all!

2008-08-27 9:19 AM
in reply to: #1631349

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN
mmh - 2008-08-27 1:57 AM

I have told 2 people about this tri and where it is and one said there is no way they would swim in the pond, the water is purple and it is disgusting and the second said the same and they got sick from it.

Here is my wisdom

Hell no! I would not swim in water like that. That is one of the reasons I did not do a Tri (Wolfpack) last week was because I know the swim area and it is disgusting.  To me it is not worth swimming in sludge, but that is my humble but usually accurate opinion! 

2008-08-27 12:39 PM

User image

Supersonicus Idioticus
Thunder Bay, ON
You can't do the swim now that you are thinking about it.

Remember when you were a kid?? You used to be able to play in filth and not get sick. But now that you realize the potential, you will get sick (or at least notice every small thing that might make you sick). Plus, you will be thinking about water quality and not your race.

But this is where you have to develop yourself mentally (in baby steps, mind you), that there will be 100 things why you shouldn't be doing triathlons (your heart could collapse afterall), but the true champions overcome these things. However, I'm not saying swim in filth - I wouldn't do that... often - just find a way to 'just do it.'

If you really want to do the tri, you could ask the organizer if they test water quality that day.

2008-08-27 1:08 PM

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
Purple water?  Man, I have never heard of that one before! I would do as Greg said and try to find out about a water quality test.  My tri coming up next week will offer the water test results to anyone who asks.  Also, if the pond is close, go and check it out for yourself.  My last tri I did, lots of people were complaining about the quality of the water, but it didn't bother me one bit. 
2008-08-27 4:45 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Hi guys,

Thank-you for your quick responses. I do like the idea of having the water tested but to be honest I'm not prepared to go to the effort of paying for the event and turning up only to find out the water is awful; it is a good hour away and I don't see how I can find a spare 2 plus hours to go and check it out beforehand.

James your resounding NO is ringing strongly in my ears and what my gutt is telling me so I think I will go with that. I am really scared of getting sick and being sidelined when I am finally finding my feet again.

On a more positive note I have just been emailed dates for a series of tri's that offer mini, sprint and kids distances - one a month from November through to March. All of the events are in our lovely bays so I think that will be the series for me, I can build from the mini to the sprint over the season. They also offer one that is an endurance one 2 x 250/10k/2k - I like the sound of that one.

I also love the fact I can take my daughter along to do the kids events.

Thanks again, much appreciated advice

2008-08-28 8:10 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Atlanta
I just want to thank all of you for keeping up on me.  I've been in a funk lately because I haven't had time to train at all in the past week.  For those of you who have ever read any of my logs, you know that that is unheard of for me.  And I have an Oly in 2 weeks, so I'm sort of freaking out.  I got to run tonight, and I feel a lot better.  It's amazing what taking away exercise will do to your brain.  So anyway, I'm sorry I haven't been very responsive, but if I can't find the time to train, you know something's up.  I'm out of town once again, but I'm hoping to fit in some things whenever I can becasue not doing the race is not an option to me. I'll catch up on all of you soon, I promise.
2008-08-28 8:35 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Hi Jess,

Sorry to hear you have hit a rough spot - we all know what that is like. 

The thing with life is that it is messy and doesn't always go to plan and we don't always get to go into an event with perfect preparation - that is just life. 

You will be ok at the event so try not to waste too much energy on freaking out about what you can't control. 

Maybe now focus on now having the opportunity to see what you are capable of doing under less than ideal circumstances; focus on how you are able shift the focus from what you haven't done to what you have done; remember times when you were not 100% prepared and still did something well.

I guess what I am saying is instead of using the energy freaking out use it to remind yourself of all the reasons you know it will be better than ok. 

2008-08-29 11:09 AM

User image

Regular
Studio City
Hey --didn't mean to submit this!

Edited by tdemayo 2008-08-29 11:13 AM

2008-08-29 11:12 AM

User image

Regular
Studio City

Hey All!

I hear you Jess about the rough spots...I've been having them all summer!

I hadn't worked out all week and I really need to get onto my bike for this upcoming event at the end of Sept or the 150 MS ride I plan on doing will not be happening!!! It will, but I certainly won't be trained enough to complete the 150 miles.

Thanks for all of your inspires too! And to answer your questions, it has been hard to even find time to relax. Although, I'm throwing my husban a 40th B-Day party on Sat. So that will be fun; relaxing it has not been..but it will be fun anyway!

Have a great labor day weekend!

2008-08-29 6:41 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Hope the 40th goes well for you Toni, have a wonderful time.
2008-08-31 10:56 AM

User image

Supersonicus Idioticus
Thunder Bay, ON
Jessica -
Take heart. My coach used to tell me that the reason why we prepare so well months before the race is because 1/3 of the people will get sick at some time within 3 weeks of the final race. When that happens, you can miss a bit and still be ok.

Toni -
I think that particularly applies to cycling... for some reason my legs don't lose strength that quickly.

I'll be looking at logs now, but everyone, have a great weekend!
2008-09-02 9:53 AM

User image

Expert
Austin, TX

Well, I had my final triathlon of the season yesterday.  It went really well as I either equaled or beat my times in all three events.  Not sure it could've gone too much better.  I beat my goal time by 4.5min.

Anyway, in my mind I dedicated this race to all of ya'll.  Everyone who sent inspires throught the year and kept hounding me during my lazy times.  I just wanted to say THANKS because I really don't know if I would have pushed myself as hard without all this. 

While this was my last tri, I will still be doing some runs and promise to keep up my training.  Keep working hard...it does pay off and it is a really good feeling to end the season on a good note!   Thanks again!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » lkagop's Training Group Rss Feed  

of 33