Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 47

2009-01-02 9:17 AM
in reply to: #1856289

User image

Expert
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Virginia
Subject: RE: Sesh's Group - FULL!

Well last night while laying in bed and watching the Hokies kick a*s!!!!!!  GO HOKIES!!!!

I came up w/ my New Year's Resolutions.  I have so many this year I had to break them down to big goals, fitness goals and misc. goals.

So here are my fitness goals:

2009 Tri/Fitness Goals

• Run/Bike/Swim across USA (2814 m)
  • Sub 2 hr. 1/2 marathon at Shamrock
  • Complete HIM
  • Place Top 3 AG Hagerstown Sprint Tri
  • Sub 4h 15m Fall Marathon
  • Complete metric or full century
  • Sub 25m 5K
  • Complete Push up / Sit up Challenge

I also had some related goals to the above and they are posted on my main training log page.  Should be enough to keep me busy.  LOL  I did pretty good on last year's goals - I'm still reviewing them but I accomplished all the fitness goals and then some.

For the run/bike/swim across the USA - I mapped my address from Arlington, VA to Alcatraz Island.  So as I do my training I'm going to track my virtual progress across the map.  I'm trying to get my husband to write a Java applet to move me on the map as either a runner, biker or swimmer depending on what I had done for the day.  Well see if he has time.

Hope everyone has a good day!

2009-01-02 12:09 PM
in reply to: #1882493

User image

Extreme Veteran
Seattle
sdalessio - 2009-01-02 7:17 AM

For the run/bike/swim across the USA - I mapped my address from Arlington, VA to Alcatraz Island.  So as I do my training I'm going to track my virtual progress across the map.  I'm trying to get my husband to write a Java applet to move me on the map as either a runner, biker or swimmer depending on what I had done for the day.  Well see if he has time.

Hope everyone has a good day!

That's a fun idea.  Out of interest - are you going to try to figure out the actual distance of the water you would have to cross if you were physically crossing the US and swimming that amount?  Eg "swimming across lake x and lake y plus swimming to alcatraz = 10 miles (or whatever it is) so 10 out of the 2814 miles will be swimming."

Or are you going to just add together all three sports and make up 2814 miles however you can?

Just curious because you have inspired me to think about trying that too!  Either way it's a great resolution.

2009-01-02 1:11 PM

User image

Master
On a lake in the Adirondacks in NY

You have some great goals for 2009! 

My goal is simply to stick to my training plan and complete the two tris I have planned.  Other than that, I am just taking it month by month.  For January and February, it will be that 100 push up thing.

I went to the doctor this morning because I was having pain on the side of my face.  With the cold I have, I figured my ear was infected or something.  Turns out my cold is probably a crazy allergy thing.  Seems that with the weird weather we've been having there has been a rash of severe out-of-season allergy attacks.  Hopefully the prescription allergy meds will clear it up.  The doc thinks the pain in my face is unrelated, although it may feel worse due the pressure in my sinuses.  He wanted to know what kind of sports I've been into lately (hmmmm....riding my trainer, making excuses not to run).  He was trying to find out if there was some way I might have dislocated my jaw.  I have to go back next week after the head (hopefully) clears out and if it still hurts I'll have to have it x-rayed. 

I couldn't just have a sinus infection like normal people.  Oh well, 2009 can only get better from here!

I hope everyone is having a great day.

Edited by serendipity 2009-01-02 1:11 PM
2009-01-02 1:48 PM
in reply to: #1882883

User image

Expert
Florida
serendipity - 2009-01-02 2:11 PM

You have some great goals for 2009! 

My goal is simply to stick to my training plan and complete the two tris I have planned.  Other than that, I am just taking it month by month.  For January and February, it will be that 100 push up thing.

I went to the doctor this morning because I was having pain on the side of my face.  With the cold I have, I figured my ear was infected or something.  Turns out my cold is probably a crazy allergy thing.  Seems that with the weird weather we've been having there has been a rash of severe out-of-season allergy attacks.  Hopefully the prescription allergy meds will clear it up.  The doc thinks the pain in my face is unrelated, although it may feel worse due the pressure in my sinuses.  He wanted to know what kind of sports I've been into lately (hmmmm....riding my trainer, making excuses not to run).  He was trying to find out if there was some way I might have dislocated my jaw.  I have to go back next week after the head (hopefully) clears out and if it still hurts I'll have to have it x-rayed. 

I couldn't just have a sinus infection like normal people.  Oh well, 2009 can only get better from here!

I hope everyone is having a great day.

Feel Better!!
2009-01-02 5:05 PM

User image

Expert
LOL - math is not my strong suit.  You lost me w/ the x's and y's.  Seriously though I am just going to log the miles as I do them.  I just hope to do enough to get from one coast to the other.  Last year I biked and ran a total of 1500 miles and swam maybe 17 miles so it will be quite a jump but I am also trying to do a HIM so I better be out there more!
2009-01-02 7:12 PM
in reply to: #1883187

User image

Extreme Veteran
Seattle

sdalessio - 2009-01-02 3:05 PM LOL - math is not my strong suit.  You lost me w/ the x's and y's.  Seriously though I am just going to log the miles as I do them.  I just hope to do enough to get from one coast to the other.  Last year I biked and ran a total of 1500 miles and swam maybe 17 miles so it will be quite a jump but I am also trying to do a HIM so I better be out there more!

Actually just rereading my post now I can barely understand it myself Laughing.

2009-01-02 10:06 PM

User image

Expert
Portland, Oregon

Happy New Years All!

I am back in Portland after a week devouring cookies in Chicago. Seriously. Uggh. Rested, relaxed and super mellow, now i'm ready to get back on the wagon. I'm going to start regular training on Monday (after I step on the scale for the first time in a couple weeks) - including the dreaded pushup challenge!

I've got 11 basic resolutions for the year, I'm ready... #11 Stubborn Will Dedication!

2009-01-03 12:59 AM

User image

Champion
Sequim, Washington

I've made some goals/plans as well.  I have decided to follow a actual training plan!  This will be my second tri season (first full season) and I plan on getting in a couple of olys.  I am going to follow the 16 week balanced 2x oly plan.  I may add a really short run in on one of the rest days, that way I will do something to get my blood moving every day before school.  I am doing the pushup challenge and BT's challenge challenge and winter swim challenge. 

Has everyone done their initial pushup test?  I did mine-11 pushups (but I have decided to start at the 10 PU level).

I will be starting on Monday morning.  

Longer term potential goals...HIM 2010 and maybe an IM in 2011 or 2012...it depends on how my body can handle the longer distance.  In general I perform better in endurance events.  I am excited to see how I progress. 

2009-01-03 9:16 AM

User image

Expert
Florida
ok gang i need some help...
my first triathlon is tomorrow Whoooo
anyways-im nervous im going to forget something or do something wrong in my prep so I was hoping you all could help me.

so I am trying to pack my transition bag and I have the following items in there. keep in mind i dont have a tri shirt or shorts, and i have decided because the distance isnt horrible (400M/10/3.2) that i will do the whole thing in my swim jammers or i will keep the jammers on-then throw my running shorts over them for the bike and run.
ok so i have:

swim cap
goggles
swim jammers
sandals
towel
Cycling helmet
Sunglasses
cycling shoes
socks
bike/run wicking shirt or my under armour heatgear sleeveless shirt
hat
running shoes
powdered gatorade
garnola bar
water
new outfit for post race-underwear,shorts,shirt,hat

I was thinkin im not gonna bring my 305 with me just because its my first race and i want to experience it without focusing on that.

am I missing anything???

Also how the heck do i set up my transition station? i was going to start working on transitions in a few months which is when i thought my first race would be, but now i signed up for this one so i could sure use some help with regards to laying things out and how transitions generally work.

tonight im planning on eating a basic dinner but with a focus on digestable carbs.
So i am thinking something along the lines of 2 cups whole wheat pasta, 1 cup lean beef marinara sauce, 2 pieces of garlic bread and lots of water.
eat that at about 6 pm. Then eat nothing else the rest of the night, maaaybe a smart ones dessert.
wake up at 5:30 and immediately down a banana. drive over to site. set up transition stuff. take a quick 200M swim warmup if allowed, jog a little slowly, and stretch lightly before race starts at 7.

does this all sound good?

2009-01-03 10:53 AM
in reply to: #1884002

User image

Master

BeginnerMan - 2009-01-03 10:16 AM ok gang i need some help... my first triathlon is tomorrow Whoooo anyways-im nervous im going to forget something or do something wrong in my prep so I was hoping you all could help me. so I am trying to pack my transition bag and I have the following items in there. keep in mind i dont have a tri shirt or shorts, and i have decided because the distance isnt horrible (400M/10/3.2) that i will do the whole thing in my swim jammers or i will keep the jammers on-then throw my running shorts over them for the bike and run. 

I haven't done my first tri yet, so I really can't offer any advice, but I want to say good luck.   Have fun and enjoy the experience!  

And tell us all about it on Monday.

2009-01-03 11:21 AM

User image

Champion
Sequim, Washington

Sunscreen. 

I always forget the pam, but you don't have to deal with a wet suit that doesn't want to come off.

2009-01-03 11:27 AM

User image

Champion
Sequim, Washington

I am fairly new to tris (I did my first last June), but here is what I have done

I always make sure to get some fluids and protein in my breakfast.  I will eat a good sized breakfast, but most of it 3-4 hours before the start.  I basically graze for an hour while I am getting ready.  Yes, I get up at 4am (or earlier) to eat my breakfast.  But I am odd that way.  The guys I have done sprint tris and single sport events with eat very little.

I have been told not to eat anything during the 2 hours before the start.  

I always take a whole heck of a lot more food with me, but that is mainly because my body sucks and will not digest most of what is offered as post race food.  

Edited by mchally 2009-01-03 11:42 AM
2009-01-03 11:41 AM

User image

Champion
Sequim, Washington

Here is how to set up and perform a transition.

I spent some time during the week before to practice laying my stuff out, and did some mock transitions.  I was laughed at a bit because I would hop in the shower in my wetsuit and get thouroughly soaked before hopping out and running down a towel lined hall to my psuedo transition station.  The biggest issue for me was the wetsuit.  Mine is not tri specific, but I couldn't go without (some of the OW swims I did were below 60 degrees) and didn't have much money.  I visited my favorite local dive shop and purchased a used Harvey's wetsuit(farmer john and jacket set) for $25 dollars.  It was a top of the line, super innovative suit back in the day, but it is from the early 80's.  It is in really good condition and I love it, but it isn't the easiest to get out of quickly.  

Take some time today to do practice transitions.  Make them as realistic as possibleGet your heart rate up before at least one of them.  I came out of the water and could barely stay on my feet at my first tri.  I put to much into the swim...It must have been funny to see me try to run walk stagger over to the transition area.  I learned a lot of what not to do at that tri.  I.E. don't try to put biking shorts on when you are wet.

Edited by mchally 2009-01-03 12:02 PM
2009-01-03 11:47 AM

User image

Expert

As far as transition set up - I group things by when I'll need them.  Bike helmet up on the bars of my bike (put it on and buckle first thing so you don't forget) and shoes behind or in front of bike depending on how your bike is racked.  Then group all of your run stuff together.  Have a small towel for wiping your feet or a free spot on your transition towel to wipe them.  I can't remember if you had race belt on your list but that helps so you don't have to worry about pinning your number to your shirt.  Don't forget suncreen and chapstick for the bag.  Also if you plan on taking a gel in the transition area, it can be nice to have it open.  So tear the top off and set it up some place where it won't leak.  Usually set up and what to take is personal.  After a few races you will decide what works and what doesn't. 

As far as nutrition - for a sprint you could probably get away w/ whatever.  Your body has enough stored fuel to make it from start to finish.  I usually eat some combination of whole grain bread and pb,  banana and water or vitamin water.  Then I have a bar or gel about 15-30m before race start.  Eat whatever will settle well in your stomach.  My husband eats a powerbar and used to add a banana until he spent 5 min. in the middle of a swim leg burping it up. (LOL)

Good Luck!!!!!!!

2009-01-03 12:32 PM

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS

Oooh fun, the first tri!

Dinner tonight.  Well, it is a shorter distance, so the carbo loading isn't really needed that much, but you have a good meal planned.  Don't gorge yourself, just eat normally and take in some liquid calories during the day like gatorade.  In the morning, don't eat too much.  If you like some solid food, keep it minimal, then take in some OJ or more gatorade.  The last thing you want is a bunch of undigested solid food bouncing around in your stomach.

Transition:  KISS 

Towel on the ground, bike shoes laid next to each other, running shoes laid next to each other with the race belt & number and your hat near them.  (If you don't have a belt, have the number pinned to a shirt)  I always put my helmet upside down on top of the handle bars with my sunglasses in them.  That's a really simple, all you need setup.  Come out of the water, take off your goggles and cap, throw them under your bike.  Grab the glasses and put them on.  Put on your shirt if you want to wear it (I wouldn't).  Put on your helmet, put on your shoes, go go go.  Coming in, unclip, almost fall over (I wiped out coming into T2 in my very first), rack your bike, helmet off & put it on your bike, cycling shoes off, running shoes on, grab your hat and shirt/race belt.  You can put those on while moving.  I wouldn't worry about the running shorts.

As for socks:  Have them by the shoes you will put them on before.  I don't like to use them at all for anything OLY and under (or 10k for running).  However, I always have them because blisters and cuts can appear out of nowhere.

You're not going to need much more than a little powerade on the bike.  Water will be fine at that distance.

2009-01-03 12:36 PM

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS

After doing every long training run in temps around 30-40 degrees, it was in the high 60s with 100% humidity today.  I finished, but not very strong.  I think I'll consider this a practice run for what it will probably be like in New Orleans in April.

Race Report is up:

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=143386

Edited by sesh 2009-01-03 12:58 PM

2009-01-03 12:51 PM

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS
Hope everything turns out ok for ya, debbie.
2009-01-03 12:57 PM
in reply to: #1883813

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS
mchally - 2009-01-03 12:59 AM

I've made some goals/plans as well.  I have decided to follow a actual training plan!  This will be my second tri season (first full season) and I plan on getting in a couple of olys.  I am going to follow the 16 week balanced 2x oly plan.  I may add a really short run in on one of the rest days, that way I will do something to get my blood moving every day before school.  I am doing the pushup challenge and BT's challenge challenge and winter swim challenge. 

Has everyone done their initial pushup test?  I did mine-11 pushups (but I have decided to start at the 10 PU level).

I will be starting on Monday morning.  

Longer term potential goals...HIM 2010 and maybe an IM in 2011 or 2012...it depends on how my body can handle the longer distance.  In general I perform better in endurance events.  I am excited to see how I progress. 

They OLY plans on this site are fantastic.  One of them worked wonders for me way, way, way back in 2008  The best thing about them is you can shift them around to work with everyday life.  As long as you are getting the workouts in (and the recovery days), they an absolute huge help.

2009-01-03 2:28 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Seattle

BeginnerMan - 2009-01-03 7:16 AM ok gang i need some help... my first triathlon is tomorrow Whoooo anyways-im nervous im going to forget something or do something wrong in my prep so I was hoping you all could help me. 

As the other guys have said, it can be pretty nerve wracking to run into transition with your heart pumping, your adrenaline going and everyone rushing around you.

One thing I learned from my first tri is that it's good to take an extra breath and a second or two to calm down a little and make sure you have picked up everything you need (and taken off everything you don't).

Sure you want to go as fast as possible, but it's better to lose a second or two on your first tri making sure you're OK than to lose a lot more time having to run back and pick up your race number or timing chip or take off your helmet.

I agree with you on the 305 - leave it behind for this one and just focus on the race and have fun.

Good luck!

P.S. Nice race Bill!

2009-01-03 5:33 PM
in reply to: #1884231

User image

Master

sesh - 2009-01-03 1:51 PM Hope everything turns out ok for ya, debbie.

The allergy medicine seems to be helping alittle, but I told myself to stop being lazy and went for a run and came back with a wicked headache.  It will go away!  Cold or no cold, I am sticking to my training plan this month.  

Nice race, Bill!  Maybe not everything you had hoped for, but conditions weren't what you expected.  Although I was surprised to hear it had been in the 30s and 40s down there!  We had 60s last weekend, which was totally bizarre for this time of year.  Maybe your weather was just lost.  I'm glad it seems to have found its way home.

Have a great evening, everyone!

2009-01-03 8:18 PM

Slidell, LA

BeginnerMan - 2009-01-03 9:16 AM ok gang i need some help... my first triathlon is tomorrow Whoooo anyways-im nervous im going to forget something or do something wrong in my prep so I was hoping you all could help me. 

Just relax, take your time, and have fun!  This is a fun sport, so there is nothing you can do wrong.  If you do make some missteps (like backwards helmet, shoes on the wrong feet, or wiping out coming into T2) they make for good stories with your race buddies!

Good luck and have fun!

2009-01-04 12:43 AM

User image

Champion
Sequim, Washington

I think that I worked out my training schedule-Finally!

Monday=S/B/PU   (Swim (5am), Bike at the Y(6:30pm), Push-ups)

Tuesday=LR   (Long Run (6am))

Wednesday=Off/PU  (mini-run (6:30am), Push-ups)

Thursday=LS  (mini-run (6:30am), Long Swim at the Y (8:30pm))

Friday=R/PU  (Run (6:15am), Push-ups)

Saturday=LB  (Long Bike at the Y (9:30am))

Sunday=Off

Edited by mchally 2009-01-04 12:48 AM
2009-01-04 11:07 AM

User image

Expert
Florida
just wanted to let everyone know....I am officially a triathlete!
too tired to type much more than that right now.
I will post a report in the next few days but right now we can enjoy the new "action" photo of me!
oh..race was 400Meters,10Miles,5K
finished in 1 hour 4 minutes 7 seconds
age group under 34(thats alot of people!)
finished 8th in my AG, 34th overall.
not bad considering i had a major panic attack right at the start of the swim, and my bottle cage broke on my bike half way through so i had to hold my water bottle for 5 miles.
lol, only at a first race.
anywhoo-i promise the race report will come.
thanks for all the great suggestions gang it helped alot!
2009-01-04 11:20 AM

User image

Master
Congratulations on your first tri!  Sounds like you had an excellent finish for the first time out.
2009-01-04 11:40 AM

User image

Expert
Awesome race - congrats!  Can't wait to read the race report.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Sesh's Group - FULL! Rss Feed  

of 47