Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 22

2009-01-12 11:46 AM
in reply to: #1857070

User image

Expert
Durham, North Carolina
Subject: RE: Barqhead's Group - FULL

Is it normal to feel like I'm sitting on a baseball today, after an inaugural ride yesterday?

Checked in the bathroom mirror this morning and see no bruising - glad no one walked in on me Smile

Just rambling on right now, trying to inject some humor into an otherwise slow and monotonous day at work here ...

It will be dark when I get home from work, so probably no biking again until the weekend ... but before then I'll try to get a trainer ... if not then I'll ride that be-damned stationary bike at the YMCA ... I think my main workout tonight will be a swim... maybe some weights first, swim, then stationary bike....

2009-01-12 11:50 AM
in reply to: #1902366

User image

Expert
Durham, North Carolina

I had the exact same question as well ....

Chris, when you touch and go, do you kick-off or push from the wall at all ... or just tag it, rotate your body around and start pulling with your arms again?  I tend to tag the way, rotate, but then still push off with my legs ... and I'm worndering by doing this if I'm not really training to "swim" the full distance...

2009-01-12 12:16 PM
in reply to: #1902378

User image

Expert
Greer, SC
klowman - 2009-01-12 12:50 PM

Chris, when you touch and go, do you kick-off or push from the wall at all ... or just tag it, rotate your body around and start pulling with your arms again?  I tend to tag the way, rotate, but then still push off with my legs ... and I'm worndering by doing this if I'm not really training to "swim" the full distance...

Since my last few swim sessions I've been doing interval training, I push off.  I do it then because I'm not working on my overall distance, I'm working on anaerobic endurance.  When I am swimming for distance or time, I am working aerobically and do not.  (Anaerobically= High HR, Aerobically=Low HR).

I don't want to have any excuse when I do an OWS since there are no walls.  I guess the best way to put it is - I try not to push to gain an advantage, if that makes sense.  Occasionally I will push myself up to the top of the water, but rarely do I push out.  

I don't know if that is right or wrong.  It is just what I do.  I guess we can find out from Pam.  

Now the question is..........  to push or not push since I am going to swim!!!!!!!!

2009-01-12 12:32 PM

User image

Pro
Simpsonville, SC
Crazy day here today. Yikes, so much to do before we leave on Thursday.

First on the bottom pain. This is normal. You will want to slowly build up your time in the saddle. It will get better. More frequent, shorter rides at first but do keep your long ride on the weekend. Another tip is to change out of your cycling shorts as soon as is humanly possible. Staying in sweaty, damp, padded shorts is a recipe for saddle sores. You will experience some chafing. Body Glide helps. Changing into some dry, cotton shorts afterwards will help reduce the chances of these chafes becoming infected. Make sure you wash and dry the chafed areas thoroughly. If the chafe appears raw, apply Neosporin after you have washed and dried the area thoroughly.

Steering with aerobars - yes you steer with you steer with your elbows. A slight change in pressure is all that is needed and the bike will turn. Aerobars (especially narrow aerobars) are very touchy. When racing, I still go to my hoods for sharp cornering. I'll gladly exchange the speed for stability in a tight corner.

Flip turns - I do them every single time in practice, unless my coach specifically says "no touch". What you exchange for pushing off the wall, is a lesson in breath control and balance. It really helps your aerobic system in swimming to be able to perform flip turns over and over and over. I don't think this detracts from triathlon swimming. I prefer long course pools or lakes because you can find your rhythm and stay there. Walls disrupt your rhythm and force you to exhale your remaining air, push off, glide, then breathe. So that little push is done in an anaerobic state. The more you practice this, the easier it is to keep your HR down and your panic mode at bay.

Picture an OWS when you go to breathe, you get hit by a wave and instead of air, you get water. If you are accustomed to this sensation through consistent flip turns, you don't freak out, you wait til the next possible chance to breathe in your stroke and forcefully exhale what you just took in without missing a beat. And you have an advantage in a pool swim triathlon Flip turns aren't necessary for triathletes, but if you know how to do them, do them!
2009-01-12 12:36 PM
in reply to: #1902426

User image

Pro
Simpsonville, SC
Jeepguy2358 - 2009-01-12 1:16 PM

klowman - 2009-01-12 12:50 PM

Since my last few swim sessions I've been doing interval training, I push off.  I do it then because I'm not working on my overall distance, I'm working on anaerobic endurance.  When I am swimming for distance or time, I am working aerobically and do not.  (Anaerobically= High HR, Aerobically=Low HR).

I don't want to have any excuse when I do an OWS since there are no walls.  I guess the best way to put it is - I try not to push to gain an advantage, if that makes sense.  Occasionally I will push myself up to the top of the water, but rarely do I push out.  

I don't know if that is right or wrong.  It is just what I do.  I guess we can find out from Pam.  

Now the question is..........  to push or not push since I am going to swim!!!!!!!!

Did that answer your question?
2009-01-12 3:39 PM

User image

Expert
Durham, North Carolina

Pam,

Your answer to Chris's pushing off the wall in a pool swim was really helpful ... I'm glad he brought it up ... thanks!

And about the biking ... I know you said "bottom" and maybe that is just your polite way of saying it ... but specifically it was not my glutes at all - they actually felt great, not like they did when using the stationary bike.

The area I'm sore at is the area in between where I go "do number 2 at the potty" and where I go "do number 1 at the potty."

I started a thread on the TT forum titled "Where am I supposed to sit on the Saddle?" and got some responses ... and I followed their advice, went on my ride yesterday ... and now it feels like I have a baseball caught in the bottom of my briefs and I'm sitting on it.

You mentioned that I should get some new biking shorts ... uh ... what if I haven't been using bike shorts?   I was thinking about asking about this but never did.  I've always just used my tri shorts to bike in ...

...is it okay to ride and train in bike shorts and then switch to tri shorts the day of the race?  I was worried that if I got accustomed to bike shorts and then switched to my tri shorts the day of the race that the difference in padding would be so noticable that I would have a hard time finishing the bike segment.

2009-01-12 4:26 PM
in reply to: #1902945

User image

Pro
Simpsonville, SC
klowman - 2009-01-12 4:39 PM

Pam,

Your answer to Chris's pushing off the wall in a pool swim was really helpful ... I'm glad he brought it up ... thanks!

And about the biking ... I know you said "bottom" and maybe that is just your polite way of saying it ... but specifically it was not my glutes at all - they actually felt great, not like they did when using the stationary bike.

The area I'm sore at is the area in between where I go "do number 2 at the potty" and where I go "do number 1 at the potty."

I started a thread on the TT forum titled "Where am I supposed to sit on the Saddle?" and got some responses ... and I followed their advice, went on my ride yesterday ... and now it feels like I have a baseball caught in the bottom of my briefs and I'm sitting on it.

You mentioned that I should get some new biking shorts ... uh ... what if I haven't been using bike shorts?   I was thinking about asking about this but never did.  I've always just used my tri shorts to bike in ...

...is it okay to ride and train in bike shorts and then switch to tri shorts the day of the race?  I was worried that if I got accustomed to bike shorts and then switched to my tri shorts the day of the race that the difference in padding would be so noticable that I would have a hard time finishing the bike segment.

You will feel like some Singapore kid who got caned for punishment. It takes time for these "soft" areas to toughen up. As far as the shorts, it is a matter of preference. Cycling shorts with more padding may help you right now in this adjustment period. I don't think thicker is always better. If you have a thick chamois with a lot of stitching around the sides, it just provides more material for chafing. So training in tri shorts only is fine. I prefer tri shorts when riding lots in aero because the thin chamois doesn't bunch as bad. Make sure your shorts fit snug. Loose material= friction= chafing. What ever shorts you use, remove them ASAP after the work out. So... you may want to tri (ha ha) cycling shorts as a cheaper alternative to a new saddle. I have ditched every "factory" saddle on all my bikes. I think they must recycle medieval torture devices by turning them into saddles! I ride a Terry Butterfly Tri saddle. They do make a men's specific saddle called the Terry Fly Tri. It has a center cut out and a bit more padding on the nose for the aero position. Most of my male triathlete friends do go with the Adamo, however. I still think it's kind of early to tell if it's the saddle. Give it at least 100 miles.

2009-01-12 11:16 PM

User image

Expert
Durham, North Carolina

Got my swim in tonight, but missed getting on the Stationary Bike ... ran out of time cause I miscounted my laps  ... and since I was working on kicking my legs during my main swim and I ended up swimming 1200 yds. vs. 600 yds ... my calves were cramped up as well.

I usually end up posting late because I don't get home from the YMCA until some time between 10:15pm and 10:30pm ... then I usually have to eat something for dinner (trying to work on not eating so late ...) ... and then I get a chance to post my workout.

2009-01-12 11:24 PM

User image

Expert
Durham, North Carolina

Thanks for the info on the saddle Pam!!

I'll keep biking a few more times to see if the saddle gets more comfortable.  If not, I'm liking some of the reviews I hear about the Adamo saddle.

I think I will get some bike shorts just so I can go ahead and get in some miles early on ... and then gradually start using them less and less.

One other bike question - What part of your arm exactly should rest on the pads of the aerobar?  The elbows, just above the elbows, the middle or end of the forearms?

And does it matter one way or the other as to how close the pads are - meaning I have mine pretty far apart thinking it would be more comfortable for wider shoulders ... but should I try to keep them close together and squeeze my arms in close together?

I really should try to get the bike up on a trainer to get some pics taken ... I'll try to work on getting some pics of me in various riding positions.

Edited by klowman 2009-01-12 11:26 PM
2009-01-13 6:10 AM

User image

Veteran
Richland, MS
Kevin, I feel your pain whn it comes to the sore spot.  When I first started riding it felt like someone kicked me in the "jimmies" all the time.  It does get better, but I still get that feeling each and every time I ride.....not nearly as bad now, but always a little touch of soreness. 
2009-01-13 8:13 AM

User image

Pro
Simpsonville, SC
My forearms, just below the elbow, rest on the pads (see my avatar ) I think you are wise in starting with a wider position on the bars. Before I got my tri bike, I had clip-ons on my roadie. Because of the handlebars set up, I had to position my clip ons quite wide. I had no issues with steering or stability on these. So imagine my shock when I scared the crap out of myself trying to stabilize the narrow bar position on my tri bike. I couldn't hold a straight line. Shucks, I could barely hold it steady enough to stay on the correct side of the road! Your bike is far more stable with wider bars, but you are less aerodynamic. As your handling skills and confidence increases, then you can look at positioning your aerobars in a more narrow, aggressive stance.

2009-01-13 11:49 AM
in reply to: #1904039

User image

Expert
Durham, North Carolina

barqhead - 2009-01-13 9:13 AM My forearms, just below the elbow, rest on the pads (see my avatar ) I think you are wise in starting with a wider position on the bars. Before I got my tri bike, I had clip-ons on my roadie. Because of the handlebars set up, I had to position my clip ons quite wide. I had no issues with steering or stability on these. So imagine my shock when I scared the crap out of myself trying to stabilize the narrow bar position on my tri bike. I couldn't hold a straight line. Shucks, I could barely hold it steady enough to stay on the correct side of the road! Your bike is far more stable with wider bars, but you are less aerodynamic. As your handling skills and confidence increases, then you can look at positioning your aerobars in a more narrow, aggressive stance.

Ah, just the info I was looking for.  So, I already feel a little shakey with the handling when in aero so I should leave it for now.

I had told the LBS when setting me up that I would like to be more in the non-aggressive side of things and as I get used to riding aero and the tri bike that I would get it adjusted more aggressively as I progressed ... this may also be why he left the seat post normal and not turned around and not have moved the seat way forward ....

I probably am setup closer to a road bike than a tri bike ... or at least closer to road than what most folks get their tri bikes setup at.

He measure my knee angle at both the 9 o'clock and top dead bottom positions ... measuredf my back angle while I was in aero and said it was a 30 degree angle ... don't know if that is good or bad.

When I rode Sunday I rode at least 75-80 percent of the time in aero ... I only came upright going up some hills, around sharp turns, once when I thought I was going too fast and might lose control, and then once or twice to rest a little and I lefted myself up off the seat a little ... but I stayed in aero most of the time ...

I thought my triceps were getting a little tired and remember reading someone else's thread about that and it was because his seat wasn't far enough forward and his arms was not at a 90 degree angle ... I started thinking about while I was riding and this is when I started experimenting with what part of my arm/elbom to place on the pads ... as to what was the correct way ... but my triceps didn't get too awful tired ...

...other than my bottom side .. the thing that is/was the most stiff and sore the next day was my neck ... from being down in aero but then looking up so I could see ahead of me ...

... hope to get home soon so I can at least ride for a few minutes... and can't wait to get my trainer and/or for the daylight hours to get longer. ..

2009-01-13 1:42 PM

User image

Expert
Durham, North Carolina

I've have already posted this in another thread I have going on the main TT forum ...

... but thought I would get your ideas as well ... I'm thinking maybe I'm sitting on the wrong part of my body ... and that maybe the seat needs to move forward because I'm having to stretch forward too much ??? and maybe this is making most of my weight be supported by this area of my body ... vs. the area under the Sits Bones??

(Bike_Seat_Pain.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Bike_Seat_Pain.JPG (26KB - 6 downloads)
2009-01-13 2:33 PM

User image

Pro
Simpsonville, SC
I think I'll defer this question to the gentlemen since my anatomy is umm, different. I do know that I am way more forward than that, but I don't have anything in the way!

2009-01-13 2:59 PM

User image

Expert
Durham, North Carolina

Oh, okay ... maybe I am sitting on the correct area ... to be more clear ... I'm NOT sitting on the area under the Sits Bones (which is where just about every article about biking I can find says to sit ... but then that is normal biking and I'm supposing tri biking and aero position might require to sit on a different part of the anatomy ...

... so in otherwwords ... I'm sitting down on the piece of flash that is forward of the rectum ... not on top of or behind the rectum ....

... so maybe I just need to get used to it .... guys??

2009-01-13 4:22 PM

User image

Expert
Greer, SC
WOW, that is pretty graphic.  Glad kids aren't in the room!  ~ J/K.  According to your pic, you are sitting in the correct position.  You should get used to it, but will experience it more in aero.  My question to you goes back to a previous post:  Does your seat have a cut out in that general area where your body contacts the saddle?  Everyone I have ever talked to says you need that cut out!  If you will be on your bike for 56 miles plus all of the training, comfort is key.  I have heard it is night and day.  You will not feel any discomfort.  Unfortunately we have both found that saddles are quite expensive.  I don't have one either, but plan on getting the Adamo.  This was recommended by many people on this site.  I have also spoken to the people at my local tri shop and they recommended a Specialized saddle with the cut out.  It runs around $85.00.  Can't remember the model.

2009-01-13 8:54 PM
in reply to: #1905379

User image

Expert
Durham, North Carolina

Jeepguy2358 - 2009-01-13 5:22 PM WOW, that is pretty graphic.  Glad kids aren't in the room!  ~ J/K.  According to your pic, you are sitting in the correct position.  You should get used to it, but will experience it more in aero.  My question to you goes back to a previous post:  Does your seat have a cut out in that general area where your body contacts the saddle?  Everyone I have ever talked to says you need that cut out!  If you will be on your bike for 56 miles plus all of the training, comfort is key.  I have heard it is night and day.  You will not feel any discomfort.  Unfortunately we have both found that saddles are quite expensive.  I don't have one either, but plan on getting the Adamo.  This was recommended by many people on this site.  I have also spoken to the people at my local tri shop and they recommended a Specialized saddle with the cut out.  It runs around $85.00.  Can't remember the model.

Thanks for the info!!

During my research of the Sits Bone and how to sit on a saddle, I also came across good reviews of the Adamo and the Specialized saddle.  I might try to find a Specialized dealer nearby because I think most of them acutally use that pad you sit on, and from the depressions made into from your Sits bones, they measure it and get you the exact width seat that you need.

I definitely see how the cutout wold help a lot ...

... I guess my total lack of knowledge on how to sit on a bike saddle, especially a tri bike saddle, really had me confused.

So, let me see if I have this right ... on a normal bike ... you should try to sit down directly over the Sits Bones and area ...

... on a tri bike or if you are leaning down into an aero position ... I guess you still try to sit in that Sits Bone area some .... but because you are leaning forward then much of your is now being supported by the area that is forward of this ... and I guess for us guys we have to be careful to move the junk out of the way or something ...  is that correct?

2009-01-14 6:50 AM
in reply to: #1906055

User image

Expert
Greer, SC
klowman - 2009-01-13 9:54 PM

Jeepguy2358 - 2009-01-13 5:22 PM WOW, that is pretty graphic.  Glad kids aren't in the room!  ~ J/K.  According to your pic, you are sitting in the correct position.  You should get used to it, but will experience it more in aero.  My question to you goes back to a previous post:  Does your seat have a cut out in that general area where your body contacts the saddle?  Everyone I have ever talked to says you need that cut out!  If you will be on your bike for 56 miles plus all of the training, comfort is key.  I have heard it is night and day.  You will not feel any discomfort.  Unfortunately we have both found that saddles are quite expensive.  I don't have one either, but plan on getting the Adamo.  This was recommended by many people on this site.  I have also spoken to the people at my local tri shop and they recommended a Specialized saddle with the cut out.  It runs around $85.00.  Can't remember the model.

Thanks for the info!!

During my research of the Sits Bone and how to sit on a saddle, I also came across good reviews of the Adamo and the Specialized saddle.  I might try to find a Specialized dealer nearby because I think most of them acutally use that pad you sit on, and from the depressions made into from your Sits bones, they measure it and get you the exact width seat that you need.

I definitely see how the cutout wold help a lot ...

... I guess my total lack of knowledge on how to sit on a bike saddle, especially a tri bike saddle, really had me confused.

So, let me see if I have this right ... on a normal bike ... you should try to sit down directly over the Sits Bones and area ...

... on a tri bike or if you are leaning down into an aero position ... I guess you still try to sit in that Sits Bone area some .... but because you are leaning forward then much of your is now being supported by the area that is forward of this ... and I guess for us guys we have to be careful to move the junk out of the way or something ...  is that correct?

You have it exactly right.  The two advantages they pointed out to me were:

1.  Cut out in the seat to relieve pressure

2.  More gel towards the front tip of the saddle for comfort.  I can tell my current Selle San Marco does not have near the cushion of one of these saddle considering it is a road saddle.

Here is a link to the Adamo at a good price:

http://bikeisland.com/cgi-bin/BKTK_STOR20.cgi?Action=Details&ProdID=817

After remembering your post in the TT forum, I have never heard anybody once say anything about the two side pushing together.  Only positives from that one.  Look at the polls too.  I think it came in second to a $200 saddle.

Forgot to add, that if your LBS is a Specialized Dealer, they do use the pad and fit you.  That was how I was introduced to a Specialized.

Edited by Jeepguy2358 2009-01-14 6:54 AM
2009-01-14 8:15 AM
in reply to: #1904926

User image

Veteran
Richland, MS

"I've have already posted this in another thread I have going on the main TT forum ...

... but thought I would get your ideas as well ... I'm thinking maybe I'm sitting on the wrong part of my body ... and that maybe the seat needs to move forward because I'm having to stretch forward too much ??? and maybe this is making most of my weight be supported by this area of my body ... vs. the area under the Sits Bones??"

Kevin, according to what I have been told you should have your rear all the way back on the seat so that your cheeks are on the widest part of the seat.  This will take some of the pressure off the area of the prostate.  If you seat isn't adjusted correctly or the "nose" of the seat is too high and putting pressure in the area of the "taint" as you called it, you could cause damage to the nerves.  This could lead to sexual dysfunction.  I would have my fit double checked and explain the problem to your fitter to see if he can fix the seat position or angle...

2009-01-14 1:32 PM

User image

Pro
Simpsonville, SC
How is everyone's training going?

I am trying really hard to run since that is my weakness. My body is already protesting. I have left ankle pain and right hip pain. I already run in orthotics. I'm just feeling really beat up and I've just started to up my mileage. Thankfully, tomorrow is a rest day and we are flying to Disney. I may get creative while I'm gone if there is an elliptical machine available. I'm really glad I don't even have to consider running until Friday at the earliest.

Y'all have a great rest of the week and weekend. I'll be back on Tuesday.
2009-01-14 4:59 PM
in reply to: #1907470

User image

Master
Lafayette, IN

barqhead - 2009-01-14 2:32 PM How is everyone's training going? I am trying really hard to run since that is my weakness. My body is already protesting. I have left ankle pain and right hip pain. I already run in orthotics. I'm just feeling really beat up and I've just started to up my mileage. Thankfully, tomorrow is a rest day and we are flying to Disney. I may get creative while I'm gone if there is an elliptical machine available. I'm really glad I don't even have to consider running until Friday at the earliest. Y'all have a great rest of the week and weekend. I'll be back on Tuesday.

I'm still trying to get used to being back in school.  I have class every day of the week and then either a 1 or 2 hour break before I have to be at work.  It has been a struggle to find a good way to fit in workouts.  I think I'm going to have to resort to the HTFU and get out of bed earlier method.  Which means I really need to work on getting to bed right when I get home from work.

I did finally sit down and work out a running plan to take me thru to the half-mary and oly in May.  I've spent hours and hours trying to soak up as much info about run training as I can.  I'm still trying to decide if I should consider myself a beginner and focus only on endurance or if it's okay to start adding in some basic stamina workouts like tempo runs and the like.

2009-01-14 8:50 PM
in reply to: #1908174

User image

Pro
Simpsonville, SC
esc - 2009-01-14 5:59 PM

barqhead - 2009-01-14 2:32 PM How is everyone's training going? I am trying really hard to run since that is my weakness. My body is already protesting. I have left ankle pain and right hip pain. I already run in orthotics. I'm just feeling really beat up and I've just started to up my mileage. Thankfully, tomorrow is a rest day and we are flying to Disney. I may get creative while I'm gone if there is an elliptical machine available. I'm really glad I don't even have to consider running until Friday at the earliest. Y'all have a great rest of the week and weekend. I'll be back on Tuesday.

I'm still trying to get used to being back in school.  I have class every day of the week and then either a 1 or 2 hour break before I have to be at work.  It has been a struggle to find a good way to fit in workouts.  I think I'm going to have to resort to the HTFU and get out of bed earlier method.  Which means I really need to work on getting to bed right when I get home from work.

I did finally sit down and work out a running plan to take me thru to the half-mary and oly in May.  I've spent hours and hours trying to soak up as much info about run training as I can.  I'm still trying to decide if I should consider myself a beginner and focus only on endurance or if it's okay to start adding in some basic stamina workouts like tempo runs and the like.

I would suggest giving yourself 3 weeks of endurance only stuff. If you get through those three weeks plus a recovery week without pain, then try mixing it up with some tempo runs and fartleks. Let your body be the guide. My coach seems to think I'm ready for the whole kit n kaboodle. My body is telling me otherwise. Body trumps coach every time.
2009-01-14 11:08 PM
in reply to: #1906572

User image

Expert
Durham, North Carolina

Thanks for the info Chris and Todd.

I'll be going back to the LBS this Saturday to have them double-check the seat setup.  I've been reading other posts as well that say they sit on the widest part of the saddle, even when down in aero position ... and that while the perineum (I learned that word today - the area I've been trying to describe) ... that although the perineum area may come in contact with the saddle and take a small portion of your bodyweight ... that still the majority of your weight should still be over the Sits bones ... so obviously mine is not set correctly ...

... cause it's just the opposite for me ... my Sits bones and glutes just barely touch the saddle when I'm in aero and nearly all of my bodyweight is being supported by my perineum area..

Edited by klowman 2009-01-14 11:12 PM
2009-01-15 8:58 AM

Okay I have to complain, woke up today and temps are -31 not windchilll, air temps.It is -50 with wind factor . It has been this cold all week. I think I will be staying home today and work out on my trainer and treadmill. Have a good day! Tania
2009-01-15 9:08 AM
in reply to: #1909175

User image

Master
Lafayette, IN
Yeah.  It's about -10 here with windchills in the -30 range.  I'm dreading having to walk around campus today.  I am ready for winter to be over!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Barqhead's Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 22