BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Shermbelle's Group Full to the brim Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 18

2009-01-19 10:47 AM
in reply to: #1866775

New user
Subject: RE: Shermbelle's Group Full to the brim

Hello Everyone,

I had good training last week.  Made it to the gym everyday I had scheduled.  I have gotten better on the bike with the rpm's.  Last 2 rides kept the the rpm's between 100-108.  Getting about 13 miles in 40-45 min.  A little slow but a good start, I think.   Running is barable, I hate running.  

Shermbelle- Thanks for the challange this week. 

My goals this week are:

Don't miss any work outs.

Up the resistance on the bike one level and keep the RPM's above 100.

Make a real effort to not eat any junk food. 

Hope everybody has a great week!!!

2009-01-19 5:59 PM

User image

Veteran
I'm off to do my long swim. I have a casserole prepared and ready to pop in the oven when I get home. If I had not committed to you guys I would probably keep working on this deadline project but a promise is a promise
2009-01-19 11:47 PM

Champion
No excuses!
Got in a late night 30 min trainer ride and then some yoga with a flexible warrior dvd. Something I really need to work on is my core and my stretching. THe older I get the tighter I seem to get and need it to avoid injuries.
2009-01-20 9:38 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I took yesterday off as a complete rest day - I never do this. The training plan called for a 75 minute easy spin on the bike. I hate days like that - it is hard for me to do the easy stuff and I almost always go harder that I should. So I skipped it by justifying that the training plan did not call for a 4000 yard swim on Saturday and only an hour run (not the 1 1/2 hour run that I did) and only a 2 hour bike ride (not the 2 1/2 hour bike ride I did) on Sunday. So I took the holiday off and did some yard work. I put pine straw out in the flower beds and chopped on some stumps with the axe - and practiced axe throwing for fun - I was better in the fall.

I also followed the diet yesterday even though it was a holiday - I did not get the results that I wanted. I gained 3.8 pounds. I know that it is not real but a blow to the ego. It will melt off this week.

This morning I did a 30 minute running time trial (TT). These are hard. They are mentally hard. They are physically hard. I woke up early and got to the gym by 6:30AM - no breakfast - just running on empty. I jumped on my treadmill - I always use the same one - and did an easy 10 minute warm up (real easy 10:00 minute / mile pace). At ten minutes I pushed up to a 7:00 minute / mile pace and held this for another ten minutes. This is were it gets hard. You take your average heart rate for the next 20 minutes. At the end you should feel like you have given everything. Not easy to do on a treadmill when you are not chasing someone or there are not wolves or bears chasing you. So twenty minutes into the run (10 warm up and 10 harder warm up) I pushed the pace to about a 6:27 minute / mile pace. I was able to carry this for about ten more minutes and then I had to back off just a little. I was, however, able to finish strong for the last five minutes and slowly, incrementally, increase the speed - by a tenth or two at a time. I finished running the last minute at a 6:00 minute / mile pace.

This was not my best time trial - my best was outside running to work last spring. The distances do not matter only the heart rates (but the working set of 30 minutes I covered 4.5 miles and 7.7 miles for the hour.) The last twenty minutes of the Time Trial I averaged 174 beats per minute (that is just about were I was last spring). Theoretically this should mean that I can carry that heart rate for about an hour without blowing up. Easier said than done. I will try this heart rate out in a tempo run some time in the near future.

Swimming at lunch.
2009-01-20 12:20 PM

New user
Everett/Seattle

GOAL FOR THE WEEK. 

Not to miss any training this week and to move any the run to the out doors.

This weeks scheudle

Mon. off
Tue. Swim 35 min
Wed. 58 min bike
Thur. 17 min run
Fri. Swim 35
Sat.  20 min bike
Sun. 25 min run

Good luck everyone on their goals.

tammy

2009-01-20 4:19 PM

I have pretty much been MIA the last 8 or 9 days..sorry, but work had me swamped.  I did not have much free time between work and starting back to class myself.  I did not even come close to getting all workouts in last week and what free time I did have I spent getting in a couple of sessions.  I have not gotten in all swim sessions since the first week I started which was still during Christmas break, sooo....

My challenge answer is to get all of swims in this week.  Actually after last week my challenge is to get all of the training sessions in this week.  I have class Friday night and again all day Sat, so this truly will be a challenge.

Thanks for the accountability check!

2009-01-20 4:23 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I have stuck to the diet all day today without any trouble at all (the evenings are the problems). I got in the pool for about an hour at lunch and did a ton of 100's and 50's. I wore my jammer (not the drag board shorts) and felt pretty fast. It is hard to remember all of the different skills (feel the catch, high elbows, constant exhale, kick with your whole leg, etc).

I also signed up for Adult Swim lessons for next month. They will meet Tuesday and Thursday starting Feb 03. I am going to work on Stroke Development, Stroke Improvement and Stroke Refinement.
2009-01-20 7:14 PM

New user

Have done good so far this week.  I had to move Wed. workout to today.  I will not have time tomorrow at all.  It will be a good rest day from the gym.

Monday- got a 20 min swim.  Felt okay.  I did not concentrait enough and felt a little sloppy.  Drank a ton of water and did not breath good.  i did fight through it.  I had planned a 25min run afterwards.  felt like hell after the swim.  i got in a 20 min walk/run.  More walk than run. 

Tuesday- had an outstanding bike ride.  I pushed the level up a notch and kept the rpm's up.  Got a 12 mile ride in 35 min.  i am pumped to know that I can get that.  It took me 45 to get the same didtance last week.  With 2 1/2 months left to train i can make that a comfortable ride. 

I appreciate the advise on goals for my tri.  I still want to win the first timers, but I do understand it a race agianst myself.  As I get more trained and figure out what I can do and what i can't do, I will make some personal goals to hit.  Some just out of reach and some I will have to kick azz to reach and then ones that expect to hit. 

I have a run planned for Thursday and look forward to getting better at running.  I have done good watching the junk food this week. 

Keep up the good work this week.

2009-01-21 9:11 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
It must have just been water weight because I am done 4.4 pounds in one day! I got an easy, hilly spin on the exercise bike this morning for an hour. I am planning a strength stair run at lunch today - too cold for the football stadium - will use the basketball colesium.
2009-01-21 9:32 AM

User image

Veteran
Got my swim in on Monday.

Tuesday was a rest day.

When I get out of the office and home will determine what I do today. I have a FAFSA meeting tonight. DD is a senior. She is going to the University of Arizona and has guaranteed acceptance because of being in the top% of her class but we are waiting for the official letter. I hope I can get to the gym otherwise it's the TM at home which isn't my favorite.
2009-01-21 4:22 PM
in reply to: #1918838

Champion
No excuses!
jtflash - 2009-01-20 5:19 PM

I have pretty much been MIA the last 8 or 9 days..sorry, but work had me swamped.  I did not have much free time between work and starting back to class myself.  I did not even come close to getting all workouts in last week and what free time I did have I spent getting in a couple of sessions.  I have not gotten in all swim sessions since the first week I started which was still during Christmas break, sooo....

My challenge answer is to get all of swims in this week.  Actually after last week my challenge is to get all of the training sessions in this week.  I have class Friday night and again all day Sat, so this truly will be a challenge.

Thanks for the accountability check!

hang in there Jon, we all have those week where life just kicks us in the butt and leaves no time to spare. SOunds like  a manageable goal for this week. Good luck!

2009-01-21 4:24 PM
in reply to: #1918847

Champion
No excuses!

microspawn - 2009-01-20 5:23 PM I have stuck to the diet all day today without any trouble at all (the evenings are the problems). I got in the pool for about an hour at lunch and did a ton of 100's and 50's. I wore my jammer (not the drag board shorts) and felt pretty fast. It is hard to remember all of the different skills (feel the catch, high elbows, constant exhale, kick with your whole leg, etc). I also signed up for Adult Swim lessons for next month. They will meet Tuesday and Thursday starting Feb 03. I am going to work on Stroke Development, Stroke Improvement and Stroke Refinement.

Cool about the swim lessons. I need some serious work on stroke refinement and overall just  alot of time in the water. Let us know how the lessons go.

2009-01-21 4:24 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I have climbed out of bed all week (yesterday and today) to exercise. I am trying to build a routine. I did an hour of bicycle hill climbs on the exercise bike at the gym. This was probably too easy. I read a book while I was doing it. I am still glad that I 'got it done' but I need to work on the intensity.

The intensity was brought at lunch. Another powerful workout. I ran the coliseum stairs and I brought my stop watch (actually heart rate monitor). When you have to compete in a measured amount of time it is much more demanding. I clicked off four rounds (down - up - down - up all the way around the arena). All rounds were completed in 5 minutes or less with a 2 minute recovery walk in between. My times are noted below (these will be my benchmarks):

5:00
4:46
4:55
4:54

Next up were abs. A lot of Swiss ball crunches, bicycles and planks.
2009-01-21 4:26 PM

Champion
No excuses!

Tuesday for me was  a swim and weights. Did a weight routine that a tri coach/personal trainer set me up with a couple of years ago. Back then I was doing it twice a week without fail for about 6 months. Amazing the gains I made but come summer I stopped going to the Y and really haven't been back to doing weights since. I have a lot of work over this winter to achieve my goals.

Tonight will be a run and trainer ride or a longer trainer ride.

2009-01-21 4:27 PM
in reply to: #1920985

Champion
No excuses!

microspawn - 2009-01-21 5:24 PM I have climbed out of bed all week (yesterday and today) to exercise. I am trying to build a routine. I did an hour of bicycle hill climbs on the exercise bike at the gym. This was probably too easy. I read a book while I was doing it. I am still glad that I 'got it done' but I need to work on the intensity. The intensity was brought at lunch. Another powerful workout. I ran the coliseum stairs and I brought my stop watch (actually heart rate monitor). When you have to compete in a measured amount of time it is much more demanding. I clicked off four rounds (down - up - down - up all the way around the arena). All rounds were completed in 5 minutes or less with a 2 minute recovery walk in between. My times are noted below (these will be my benchmarks): 5:00 4:46 4:55 4:54 Next up were abs. A lot of Swiss ball crunches, bicycles and planks.

Sounds like some great workouts today, good job. What school are you doing this at?

2009-01-21 6:49 PM

User image

Veteran
I'm sweating. Okay, that may sound strange to you guys but I don't usually sweat when I run. That's because I don't like it and don't usually push myself. I decided to push myself more today. Here's what I did:

5 minute warm up
run 2 minutes
walk 1 minute
I did the R/W for 28 minutes

I'm extremely pleased with myself. I have never run for 2 minutes at a time and I kept it up for the whole 28 minutes w/the R2/W1.

I could have kept going too which is impressive to me. I'm going to try the same thing on my next run for this week. the bad thing is now I'm all sweaty and I have to go to a meeting. Oh well. I don't think I smell : )

You know those endorphenes people talk about. I have some. That doesn't happen too often either. I should try this more often.

Keep in mind that the R wasn't really a run like some people might think but for me it was and that's all that matter.

Oh, I covered 2.2168 miles. Like I said-start somewhere.

2009-01-22 8:32 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sherm - I am on staff at the University of Southern Mississippi - I have been here about 2 years (Mississippi and the University) but I love the university setting!

CrazyAZgal - corny but "Sweat is pain leaving the body" or something like that - over time you will grow to love that feeling!

I'm long winded but - I'm trying to train SMART for the first time ever -

Yesterday only called for an hour bike ride. Hilly but most of the time spent in heart rate zone 1 / 2. In other words an easy workout just spinning along. NOT ENOUGH. So I did my entire workout plan and was done prior to the start of the work day. I still had my lunch hour to work out. As noted earlier I did the coliseum stadium stair run. This is some major intensity. It is a race against yourself as well as your cohorts. Tough workout so to speak. You have to 'bring it' and I'm good at bringing it. In fact, when I need to bring I just have to look outside. There it is sitting in the driveway. Tank full of gas and the engine doing that soft loping idle - just raring to go. In other words, when they say bring it - it is usually already brung.

Today's workout calls for a 45 minute swim and a 40 minute hill run. I like to swim at lunch on Tuesdays and Thursdays because a group of experienced swimmers meet at that time. They are very encouraging and always offer helpful tips. It is improving my swim skills measurably.

So I got out of bed for the 40 minute hill run. Specifically it called for a zone 1 / 2 with 6 x 30 seconds hard hill charges. Quite a bit easier than the coliseum. I was glad that I had the extra 20 minutes and enjoyed my coffee in bed. Feeling good I got on the treadmill and programmed my benchmark settings - 40 minutes at MAX 8.5 MPH with MAX 12 slope. This would be harder than the run prescribed by the plan. I started out strong but remember, like the XFL, there is no downhill on the treadmill - only less up hill. The heart rate was staying low and steady and I was still feeling strong. When I got to the MAX 12 slope it was hard, just as it should be. The heart rate had been slowing climbing to right at LT level (about 174 beats per minute). The problem was that this level of exertion felt harder than it should. The problem was the the heart rate did not drop on the less up hill. The problem was that my legs were tired. The problem was that I was tired. So, being here before, I looked at the window. There was nothing in the driveway. I checked the street - still nothing. The hills said bring it but it was nowhere to be found. I called it a day at 20 minutes.

Maybe I should try to follow this training plan thing... Still looking forward to swimming at lunch.

On a side note I am down another two pounds - 162.0

2009-01-22 8:58 AM

User image

Veteran
How come I can't see my strength training on my calendar view? I see the S/R/B but not the strength.
2009-01-22 9:21 AM

User image

Veteran
I just went back to look at what I've done so far this month. I'm glad I committed to following my training schedule this week.

This is week 3 of the 20 week training. I had 4 rest days week 1 and 4 on week 2. I'm only supposed to have 2 rest days each week with the schedule.

I am going to say it out loud to you guys so that I feel committed. I know that for me to lose I need to track my food points as well as exercise. I have not been tracking my points and that will get me no where.

I have my weigh in tonight and Fridays are when my new tracking starts each week. So I have my journal printed out and I commit to writing down everything that goes in my mouth even if I don't know what the point value is for the next week starting with tomorrow. Keep me accountable!

The support here is great.

Micro-you have been having awesome workouts.

2009-01-22 9:26 AM

User image

Veteran
I didn't do very good planning for a night that I have a meeting. I really don't want to use my 2nd rest day today. I have my choice of:

29 S & 58 B
97 B
48 R

It's yucky (ok, Arizona yucky-rain) outside today so it may be the S/B combo at the gym. 58 on the indoor bike? I'll play with the new bikes and push myself and think of you guys. DD let me borrow her headset so I can plug into the new bikes at the gym. She told me not to sweat too much in them

2009-01-22 11:04 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I am with you on the accountability - I yell my successes (and failures). It keeps me on track. I'm trying to lose some weight also -

http://13resolutions.blogspot.com-

How's that for accountability - all my friends, family, co-workers, etc let me know about it!

2009-01-22 11:39 AM

User image

Veteran
James-I should be working but took a time out to see if anyone had posted.

I read a little about the S diet when you first posted about it. Can I be frank? Okay, that really isn't a question since I'm not waiting for an answer.

For as much training as you are doing I don't agree with you only eating 3 meals a day. I think you should put out what you would eat in those 3 large meals but then divide each of them into two smaller meals and spread them out. You need to fuel your body with your training.

I agree with the theory behind the no snacks-chips, cookies, candy etc. but I think that eating every 3 hours or so is a better plan. When I'm being good I'll have snacks but it's usually low fat string cheese and fruit or today I have packed 1 svg strawberries w/1 cup n.f. plain yogurt and a T of honey.

When I start again tomorrow for my food and points tracking I'm going to eat mostly CORE foods (a weight watcher term) and write everything down. I can explain WW core foods more to you if you want. Let me know. I had great success losing but then stopped following the program.

2009-01-22 12:06 PM
in reply to: #1922533

New user
Everett/Seattle

Hey guys-- i have fallen off the wagon yesterday but am getting back on today. I didn't get enough homework done over the weekend so instead of a 58 min bike yesterday I did homework.  SO I am going to shake up the remainder of the schedule with the 58 min bike today along with 17 min run.. I do walk 1 / run for 5.  Like  Jill my run is most peoples fast walk.  but for me its a run..

As far as food goes- Jill thank you for reminding me how important it is to track.  I am an on again off again WW. and the off again times are killing me..

tammy

2009-01-22 1:59 PM
in reply to: #1922618

Champion
No excuses!
tlstacy - 2009-01-22 1:06 PM

Hey guys-- i have fallen off the wagon yesterday but am getting back on today. I didn't get enough homework done over the weekend so instead of a 58 min bike yesterday I did homework.  SO I am going to shake up the remainder of the schedule with the 58 min bike today along with 17 min run.. I do walk 1 / run for 5.  Like  Jill my run is most peoples fast walk.  but for me its a run..

As far as food goes- Jill thank you for reminding me how important it is to track.  I am an on again off again WW. and the off again times are killing me..

tammy

Thats the point. High School is over so impressing people doesn't matter any more. Great job on getting out there. We all start somewhere and hope to improve from there. Day by day, week by week, it will come. By summer if you stick with it you will be amazed!

2009-01-22 2:00 PM
in reply to: #1921255

Champion
No excuses!

[QUOTE]craftyazgal - 2009-01-21 7:49 PM I'm sweating. Okay, that may sound strange to you guys but I don't usually sweat when I run. That's because I don't like it and don't usually push myself. I decided to push myself more today. Here's what I did: 5 minute warm up run 2 minutes walk 1 minute I did the R/W for 28 minutes I'm extremely pleased with myself. I have never run for 2 minutes at a time and I kept it up for the whole 28 minutes w/the R2/W1. I could have kept going too which is impressive to me. I'm going to try the same thing on my next run for this week. the bad thing is now I'm all sweaty and I have to go to a meeting. Oh well. I don't think I smell : ) You know those endorphenes people talk about. I have some. That doesn't happen too often either. I should try this more often. Keep in mind that the R wasn't really a run like some people might think but for me it was and that's all that matter. Oh, I covered 2.2168 miles. Like I said-start somewhere.

We are only 3 weeks in and already starting to have some sucess stories. Keep them up everyone!!!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Shermbelle's Group Full to the brim Rss Feed  

of 18