BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kalalau's Group - FULL for now Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 38

2009-02-23 4:56 AM
in reply to: #1976424

User image

Expert
Glen Burnie, Maryland
Subject: RE: kalalau's Group - FULL for now
kalalau - 2009-02-22 10:11 PM

It's right before you get to the Airport Fast Park, if you know where that is.  If you run counter clockwise, it's easier to spot.  If you ran clockwise, it would be out of sight behind you if you weren't looking.  It's right on Elkridge Landing Road, a bit less than .1 of a mile off the trail.  On a clockwise run, it's on your left, after you pass the airport spur split.  On a counter clockwise run, it's probably a 1/4 mile to a 1/2 mile after you pass the Emu farm and the big rolling hills.

We also use the McDonald's to refill our water bottle.  It's pretty convenient.  At least with buying a cone, I don't feel so guilty with putting my bottle under their water drink machine.

How did everyone's weekend training go?  I did a 10 mile race this morning in a pretty fast group.  A 8:06 pace on hilly terrain didn't even get me in the top half of runners.  Nice run though, I'm happy.  I have to hit the training hard early in this week so I can take it easy heading into next weekend's B&A Half Marathon.

Gotcha, I know exactly where that is. Thanks.

I made it through another long trail run this weekend. Only 2 more to go then a taper week and then the race. Looks like I may actually make it through the training.

2009-02-23 9:30 AM
in reply to: #1976441

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fulton
kalalau - 2009-02-22 10:23 PM

Hey Becky do you want to do maybe a 5 mile or 10k fast training run so we can guess what you might be able to do for the half marathon?  Just head out on a similar course, probably flatish, and run the fastest run you can do for the 5m or 10k.

That's a great site, although I have used calculators like this in the past and they've never been terribly accurate.  I have theories why, but won't go into them now.  I'm willing to give it a try though.  I think Sunday this week would be the best day to do a time trial.  "Flatish" isn't something that really happens around here, but the hills will make it worst case.  Taper also usually makes a big difference for me, but I am not sure I'll get to taper for Frederick, so maybe it will be an accurate representation. 

Otherwise, training is going pretty well.  I got a calf cramp at the end of my swim the other night that has been sore for a couple of days, but it's going away.  The swim times have been going down consistently 1s/100yd every long sunday swim, which doesn't sound like much, but with 16 weeks to go, isn't really bad progress!  My runs have been feeling good and are fairly quick for me.  I'm happy with the progress, but want to throw in some more run miles, just so I don't totally lose the long run fitness that I had from marathon training (if it's not already gone!)  Cycling is more hit or miss and it really just seems to depend on the day and how tired my legs are.  I'm really enjoying training though, and am happy to have the support of J and all you here in the mentor group!

2009-02-23 5:10 PM
in reply to: #1976626

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

SCamp07 - 2009-02-23 5:56 AM Gotcha, I know exactly where that is. Thanks. I made it through another long trail run this weekend. Only 2 more to go then a taper week and then the race. Looks like I may actually make it through the training.

Excellent, way to go!  It's kind of humbling that I am happy with my 10 mile race while you are knocking out 21 mile training runs. :-)  What are your last 2 long run distances?

2009-02-23 5:16 PM
in reply to: #1976906

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland
ras26 - 2009-02-23 10:30 AM

That's a great site, although I have used calculators like this in the past and they've never been terribly accurate.  I have theories why, but won't go into them now.  I'm willing to give it a try though.  I think Sunday this week would be the best day to do a time trial.  "Flatish" isn't something that really happens around here, but the hills will make it worst case.  Taper also usually makes a big difference for me, but I am not sure I'll get to taper for Frederick, so maybe it will be an accurate representation. 

Otherwise, training is going pretty well.  I got a calf cramp at the end of my swim the other night that has been sore for a couple of days, but it's going away.  The swim times have been going down consistently 1s/100yd every long sunday swim, which doesn't sound like much, but with 16 weeks to go, isn't really bad progress!  My runs have been feeling good and are fairly quick for me.  I'm happy with the progress, but want to throw in some more run miles, just so I don't totally lose the long run fitness that I had from marathon training (if it's not already gone!)  Cycling is more hit or miss and it really just seems to depend on the day and how tired my legs are.  I'm really enjoying training though, and am happy to have the support of J and all you here in the mentor group!

Yes I agree that any test you can do is at least some sort of gauge we can use, though it's not perfect.  That's funny about your swim cramp.  Were you dehydrated?  I used to get really bad foot or calf cramps after pushing off the wall after long swim workouts, but that's gotten better partially because of swim fitness and partially because I pay attention to hydration now.

You swimming does seem to be going well.  That might be "middle of the pack" pace.

Here's another formula that is similar to McMillan.  It's the Runner's World "VDOT" number.

What's Your Magic Number?

I liked this article and I refer to it every so often.  Like the McMillan calculator, I have found that the table on page 2 is true for me except for the marathon distance.  All of these numbers that I use though, are for PR time, so I would have to have a perfect day to hit them.

2009-02-23 9:16 PM
in reply to: #1977967

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fulton
kalalau - 2009-02-23 6:16 PM

That's funny about your swim cramp.  Were you dehydrated? 

Probably.  I didn't drink much during the day, and I did a 45 minute run just before.  I need to really work on that.  

You swimming does seem to be going well.  That might be "middle of the pack" pac

Sweet!  Hopefully with lessons, I can secure myself in the MOP, although as long as I make the cutoff (really shouldn't be an issue at this point) that's all I really care about for my first.

Here's another formula that is similar to McMillan.  It's the Runner's World "VDOT" number.

What's Your Magic Number?

Based on my 1/2 marathon PR, this one actually seems much more accurate, except for the marathon, which it's not even close.  It does seem to pretty accurately predict my 5k though.  I'll check it out again after I do a "timed" run this weekend.  :-)

Edited by ras26 2009-02-23 9:17 PM
2009-02-23 11:19 PM
in reply to: #1978301

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland
ras26 - 2009-02-23 10:16 PM

You swimming does seem to be going well.  That might be "middle of the pack" pac

When comparing your pacing against past race results, you can also figure that you will be faster because of the wetsuit.  They say that wetsuits help us slower folks more than the fast guys. We would have to look through some race reports to know if there were other water factors such as water chop and current.  Probably more of an issue at Eagleman than Columbia.

2009-02-23 11:49 PM
in reply to: #1876643

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

One more note on having "race worthy" gear for a triathlon.  The buying never stops.  There is always some new gadget that all the non-thrifty triathletes are buying.  This year, it is compression socks.  Ok, yes, I have some too. :-)  Anyway, the point is, as long as you have the basics, you are ok.  From there, you are just buying things to increase your speed and your comfort.  And some of the things that you might end up buying aren't even shown to have an effect, such as compression socks.

When you go to these races, particularly the big name ones like Columbia, and Eagleman, it will be easy to get intimidated because of all the gadgets everyone has.  At Eagleman, there will be a lot of $3000-$5000 bikes.  People will be walking around in compression socks, as silly as they look.  They will have their fancy aero water bottles sitting in their aero bars, which will seem funny when you see pieces of them that have fallen on the course.  They will also have the cool looking water bottle cages off the back of the seat, which I have, but removed because I read enough to make me think it actually might create drag.  Many will have those funny looking aero helmets.  

In the lesser known and smaller races, there's not that many of these folks.  But regardless, don't let it get to you.  Just because they have money to go out and buy all this stuff, means nothing about their fitness, and it means nothing about you not belonging there.  In fact, it's quite possible, you may pass someone that has fancy $2000 disc wheels on their bike.  More likely, they may breeze by you on the bike because you were a better swimmer than they are.  Those wheels even *sound* intimidating.  Whoosh, whoosh, whoosh, whoosh... but they are just normal folks, there is nothing special about them.  They are just trying to buy speed.  Just laugh them off and if they pass, they should be embarrassed that they were behind us for so long, considering the gear they have. :-)

2009-02-24 9:13 AM
in reply to: #1977964

User image

Expert
Glen Burnie, Maryland
kalalau - 2009-02-23 6:10 PM

SCamp07 - 2009-02-23 5:56 AM Gotcha, I know exactly where that is. Thanks. I made it through another long trail run this weekend. Only 2 more to go then a taper week and then the race. Looks like I may actually make it through the training.

Excellent, way to go!  It's kind of humbling that I am happy with my 10 mile race while you are knocking out 21 mile training runs. :-)  What are your last 2 long run distances?

I'm doing 22 miles on Thursday and then 24 next Friday. After that it's 10 during the taper weekend and then the race on the 21st. I'm looking forward to the race but will be glad when it's over so I can hit the pool and bike.

I'm sure I'll appreciate the running fitness throughout the season.
2009-02-24 9:16 AM
in reply to: #1978466

User image

Expert
Glen Burnie, Maryland
kalalau - 2009-02-24 12:19 AM

ras26 - 2009-02-23 10:16 PM

When comparing your pacing against past race results, you can also figure that you will be faster because of the wetsuit.  They say that wetsuits help us slower folks more than the fast guys. We would have to look through some race reports to know if there were other water factors such as water chop and current.  Probably more of an issue at Eagleman than Columbia.

x2 on the wetsuit.

makes you faster while using less energy.

One race I do has a pool swim and no wetsuits. I'm always slower in that race even though it's only 400 yards.
2009-02-24 9:24 AM
in reply to: #1978483

User image

Expert
Glen Burnie, Maryland
kalalau - 2009-02-24 12:49 AM

One more note on having "race worthy" gear for a triathlon.  The buying never stops.  There is always some new gadget that all the non-thrifty triathletes are buying.  This year, it is compression socks.  Ok, yes, I have some too. :-)  Anyway, the point is, as long as you have the basics, you are ok.  From there, you are just buying things to increase your speed and your comfort.  And some of the things that you might end up buying aren't even shown to have an effect, such as compression socks.

When you go to these races, particularly the big name ones like Columbia, and Eagleman, it will be easy to get intimidated because of all the gadgets everyone has.  At Eagleman, there will be a lot of $3000-$5000 bikes.  People will be walking around in compression socks, as silly as they look.  They will have their fancy aero water bottles sitting in their aero bars, which will seem funny when you see pieces of them that have fallen on the course.  They will also have the cool looking water bottle cages off the back of the seat, which I have, but removed because I read enough to make me think it actually might create drag.  Many will have those funny looking aero helmets.  

In the lesser known and smaller races, there's not that many of these folks.  But regardless, don't let it get to you.  Just because they have money to go out and buy all this stuff, means nothing about their fitness, and it means nothing about you not belonging there.  In fact, it's quite possible, you may pass someone that has fancy $2000 disc wheels on their bike.  More likely, they may breeze by you on the bike because you were a better swimmer than they are.  Those wheels even *sound* intimidating.  Whoosh, whoosh, whoosh, whoosh... but they are just normal folks, there is nothing special about them.  They are just trying to buy speed.  Just laugh them off and if they pass, they should be embarrassed that they were behind us for so long, considering the gear they have. :-)

I have a funny story about a race I did in Rehobeth last year. The water was really bad and they changed it to a Duathlon. If you haven't noticed running is my strongest event (though I'm not strong in it). Anyway, we had a 1.5 mile run to replace the swim. I had a really good run but once on the bike I had about 10 guys pass me on these expensive bikes with aero wheels, aero helments, etc. I just rode my own race but was kind of pissed about being passed. I'm a slow swimmer so I'm usually already behind out of the water. :-) So, after the bike is a 5K run. I made it a point to pass ALL 10 of those dudes by the end of the race. It was the most fun I ever had in a race.

So, the morale is, what Dave said "They're just regular guys".
2009-02-24 9:35 AM

User image

Expert
Glen Burnie, Maryland
Okay, just for fun I had to go look at those race results. I'm not saying I'm some great triathlete. It's just that I woun't be intimidated by fancy bikes (or any other equipment) anymore.

This was my favorite because this guy smoked me on the bike:

Steve Camp 1:26:03

Split Detail
Split Distance Time Rank Pace/Rate
Run 1.5 Mile 0:12:43 188
T1 0:01:40
Bike 14 Mile 0:44:25 204 Rate: 18.90
T2 0:01:28
Run 3.1 Mile 0:25:49 147 Pace: 0:08:20

Other Dude 1:28:32

Split Detail
Split Distance Time Rank Pace/Rate
Run 1.5 Mile 0:14:11 286
T1 0:01:23
Bike 14 Mile 0:38:18 54 Rate: 21.90
T2 0:01:41
Run 3.1 Mile 0:33:01 341 Pace: 0:10:39

2009-02-24 10:32 AM
in reply to: #1978856

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fulton

SCamp07 - 2009-02-24 10:13 AM

I'm doing 22 miles on Thursday and then 24 next Friday. After that it's 10 during the taper weekend and then the race on the 21st. I'm looking forward to the race but will be glad when it's over so I can hit the pool and bike. I'm sure I'll appreciate the running fitness throughout the season.

Wow, keep up the good work and good luck on the race!  I'm sure your run fitness will come in handy later in the season.  My current HIM plan is pretty light on the run miles and although I'm not sure I miss the 18-20 milers, I do miss the 10-15 mile mid-length runs.  Josh has already been adding in extra run miles...maybe I'll do the same.

2009-02-24 10:47 AM

User image

Randolph, NJ

ok i learned a very discouraging newbie lesson today!

I just found out one of the tris I had planned for Sept is ALREADY sold-out!   I have 2 others planned. 1 for July and 1 for Aug...(their registration isn't even open yet) but i am totally bummed!!!

2009-02-24 5:15 PM
in reply to: #1979118

User image

Expert
Glen Burnie, Maryland
abbiesue - 2009-02-24 11:47 AM

ok i learned a very discouraging newbie lesson today!

I just found out one of the tris I had planned for Sept is ALREADY sold-out!   I have 2 others planned. 1 for July and 1 for Aug...(their registration isn't even open yet) but i am totally bummed!!!

Hey Abbie,

That's happened to me alot. It is a big bummer. I've also found some pretty cool races by looking for something else around the same timeframe. So, hopefully, you can find a better race to do.
What race was sold out already?
2009-02-24 6:30 PM
in reply to: #1980022

User image

Randolph, NJ

The Danskin SheROX NY Metro Triathlon - September 13 

I was psyched cause it was down the shore! (ocean swim, plus - nice and flat compared to where I live) Plus it was a womens only...nothing personal against u men...just thinking I wouldn't have to contend with you guys in the water.

2009-02-24 7:23 PM
in reply to: #1980128

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland
abbiesue - 2009-02-24 7:30 PM

The Danskin SheROX NY Metro Triathlon - September 13 

I was psyched cause it was down the shore! (ocean swim, plus - nice and flat compared to where I live) Plus it was a womens only...nothing personal against u men...just thinking I wouldn't have to contend with you guys in the water.

Ugh!!  I'm so bummed!  I had a feeling we should watch the opening date, but I don't remember seeing an opening date when we looked before.  Ok, so how about New England or Philly?  Are those too far away for you?

Not many people can say they swam in the Schuylkill River. :-)

2009-02-24 7:26 PM
in reply to: #1978917

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

SCamp07 - 2009-02-24 10:35 AM Okay, just for fun I had to go look at those race results. I'm not saying I'm some great triathlete. It's just that I woun't be intimidated by fancy bikes (or any other equipment) anymore. This was my favorite because this guy smoked me on the bike: Steve Camp 1:26:03 Split Detail Split Distance Time Rank Pace/Rate Run 1.5 Mile 0:12:43 188 T1 0:01:40 Bike 14 Mile 0:44:25 204 Rate: 18.90 T2 0:01:28 Run 3.1 Mile 0:25:49 147 Pace: 0:08:20 Other Dude 1:28:32 Split Detail Split Distance Time Rank Pace/Rate Run 1.5 Mile 0:14:11 286 T1 0:01:23 Bike 14 Mile 0:38:18 54 Rate: 21.90 T2 0:01:41 Run 3.1 Mile 0:33:01 341 Pace: 0:10:39

Haha, that is a funny story.  It is pretty amazing when the whoosh of a bunch of cyclists come blowing by.  Awesome that you caught some of them.  I would be bummed if I had a race that had the swim canceled.   The unique thing about a triathlon is the swim.  We don't get opportunities to do open water swimming very often.  And when I do, I am never willing to swim out as far as in a race. :-)

2009-02-25 2:45 PM
in reply to: #1980196

User image

Randolph, NJ

Yea those are a bit far for me.

On the flip side I signed up for the Randolph Triathlon TODAY! So it's official! My first triathlon!!! I already have butterflies... hehehe

2009-02-25 4:26 PM
in reply to: #1981713

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland
abbiesue - 2009-02-25 3:45 PM

On the flip side I signed up for the Randolph Triathlon TODAY! So it's official! My first triathlon!!! I already have butterflies... hehehe

Way to go!!  That seems like a good triathlon for you.  And since you can do the course several times before the event, that will remove the nerves a bit.  The local bike shop is having Friday night rides on the course.  Also, a couple of other BTers did this one as their first race:

Randolph Tri Race Reports

Previous years' results appear to be on a website that is having trouble at the moment. :-\

Hah!  Good ole Google cache, you gotta love it.

2008 Results

Edited by kalalau 2009-02-25 4:28 PM
2009-02-25 10:09 PM
in reply to: #1981713

User image

Expert
Glen Burnie, Maryland
abbiesue - 2009-02-25 3:45 PM

Hey Abbie,

This is awesome. Get ready for the addiction of triathlon.

Edited by SCamp07 2009-02-25 10:09 PM
2009-02-25 10:38 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

When I obsess a little bit about a race (and what triathlete doesn't do that?), I even look up  pictures from the event in previous years.  In some cases you can find them right in Google, and in other cases you may have to look up the popular sport photographer websites and see if they were there (asiorders, brightroom, maybe others). Sometimes you can even find videos in youtube and other places, which is great because you can see what the swim looks like many times.

In this case, I found them in Google:

Randolph Sprint Tri Photos

Things I might look for:

- how many people are wearing (or not wearing) wetsuits?

- what kind of wetsuits are they wearing (indicates how competitive it might be)?

- what kind of clothes are people wearing (as a beginner this is nice to see)?

- what's the entry and exit areas of the swim look like?

- what's the transition area look like?

- if I live in the area and plan to visit, can I spot some landmarks so I can visually go through the course without the race being set up?

- where do I need to make sure I make a great pose for my awesome 1st triathlon pics? (they will likely set up this year's photos in the same spots)

- where's those darn mountain bikes that Dave promised were going to be there? (page 4 of "tri bike in photos"

And in general it gives you a better feel for a race rather than just reading about it.  It feels more real.

Edited by kalalau 2009-02-25 10:39 PM

2009-02-25 10:53 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

2007 Columbia Triathlon Video

2008 Eagleman Triathlon Video

It's hard to watch a well done video of your future race without getting totally psyched!!  Motivating, for sure.  Are you psyched, Becky??!! :-)

Edited by kalalau 2009-02-25 10:55 PM
2009-02-26 2:10 PM
in reply to: #1982665

User image

Randolph, NJ
OMG Dave - Its amazing I got any work at all done today...I was completely sucked in with those videos and photos! It was totally motivating!! THANKS it was just what I needed! Are there any shots of you or Becky in those videos?
2009-02-26 2:38 PM

User image

Expert
Glen Burnie, Maryland
That was very cool. I've never seen those videos.

That 2007 Columbia Tri was my very first race. I remember being scared sh*tless on the bike because of the light rain and the wet roads.
2009-02-26 2:42 PM

User image

Expert
Glen Burnie, Maryland
Here's some cool pics I took at last year's Columbia Tri

(Macca Run1.jpg)

(Jessi Run1.jpg)

(Lieto1.jpg)

(Ficker Run1.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Macca Run1.jpg (55KB - 7 downloads)
Jessi Run1.jpg (52KB - 7 downloads)
Lieto1.jpg (48KB - 8 downloads)
Ficker Run1.JPG (52KB - 11 downloads)
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kalalau's Group - FULL for now Rss Feed  

of 38