BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Dangremond's April 2009 Mentor TEAM - CLOSED (WE'RE BUSY WORKIN' IT!) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 28

2009-05-07 3:53 PM
in reply to: #2137195

Regular
Newport Beach
Subject: RE: Dangremond's April 2009 Mentor TEAM - CLOSED (WE'RE BUSY WORKIN' IT!)

2009-05-08 8:39 AM
in reply to: #2070412

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
Subject: RE: Dangremond's April 2009 Mentor TEAM - CLOSED (WE'RE BUSY WORKIN' IT!)
I know a little about weight loss, Grace.  I'm down from a 50 inch waist, I think I was pushing 375- 400 pounds, in January 2005.  I'm in a 36 inch waist and lovely now.  

First, don't you dare get discouraged.  This is a one day at a time deal.  Do the right things, you get the right results.  They just aren't always seen in one day increments.  Take a longer view. Stop worrying about it every day or you'll go loony.  Weigh once a week at most.  I don't weight at all.  I work out like a beast, eat right and keep taking in the belt.  That way I'm not subject to those emotional/psychological swings in attitude that result when my body decides to hold onto water for a day and and the scale shows I gained.  Once a week at most. 

Second, the above presupposes you feel good about what you are eating.   At first I had to ask myself, am I really cutting down on fat and carbs?  Or, are there lots of hidden bad things in my diet?  I had to be honest.  I logged everything I ate.  Analyzed it.  Measured it.  Weighed it to be sure I wasn't sneaking calories in.  They have a way of doing it.

The third key, you already have.  Cross training.  My body adjusted to the demands of riding as many as 8,800 miles in a year and weight loss slowed.  But when I started to run and swim last summer too, bang, the weight fell off again.

Stay positive.  Look at things over the long haul.  Be honest and do a precise inventory of eating habits.  Cross train.  It will work, I promise.  Can't fail!

On a personal note, the leg is improving.  At the advice of my coach, I changed from a high VO2 max drill and instead did 90 minutes of a high cadence and moderately high watt output last night.  Then a heating pad and the Stick.  Lots of improvement this morning.  Rest day scheduled today.   Not pushing it.  

Have a great weekend and Mothers Day everybody.  

2009-05-08 10:27 AM
in reply to: #2138324

User image

Veteran
Thanks, Iceman. You are always so helpful. Also...I'm glad the leg is improving. What is this "stick" you speak of?  I will be tracking every sneaky calorie TODAY and I'm going to start calling it "shedding extra weight" rather than "losing weight". Because honestly, I don't want to find it again.  I suppose I should mention that when I had my daughter I weighed 226 (up from about 155!) and I have lost a lot of weight to be at 184.  But the eating could definitely improve and I emotionally eat at times.  That stuff can stop. It will stop.  Less weight = more energy = more fun.
2009-05-08 10:51 AM

User image

Triathlete Nation ~ Texas!
Linda & Grace ~ I hope you both have a wonderful Mother's Day!  To the guys in the group ~ if your wife/girlfriend/SO/friend w/ benefits is a mother ~ I wish her the same!

I hope everyone has a great weekend!  Any big training plans for anyone?  We know Grace is racing ~ and GOOD LUCK to her!

I am working extra, so we will see how Saturday pans out... hoping for a long swim session on Sat.  And after I treat the wife to a good day on Sunday, I am hoping to get in a long bike.

Happy Friday Y'all!
2009-05-08 12:52 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
On the weight thing, Michelangelo was once asked; "Hey, Mike, how do you make such lovely statues out of a piece of rock?"   Mike said:  "I see the beauty within and I chip off the waste."  That's what God does for us when we decide we want to drop the weight.  He chips off the waste.   You are right, it is not a diet.  It's a change in lifestyle.  You and I will never have to be big again if we change how we live.  Replace bad habits with good habits.

The Stick is the strangest thing.  It is like a rolling pin but on wire so it conforms to your body and with plastic rollers about an inch wide each.  You simply roll it on your muscles in the direction of your heart.  I heard about it first at a beginners seminar for the triathlon club.  Then after I posted on Face Book that I was hurt, someone mentioned it again and I remembered and got one the night before last.  It is really good.  It helps take soreness out and supposedly speeds recovery.  I can only tell you my leg feels a lot better today than yesterday.  Cost was about $28 for mine.  One guy who races bikes told me it was the best thing I could get myself other than a coach.

http://thestick.com/

This weekend - continue to heal, do a 2-hour high intensity drill with 2 20 min intervals at 95%;  Sunday is a 3-hour endurance ride and a trip to have dinner with my mom and siblings.  

Oh, and tonight - STAR TREK!   Oh, yeah!

You all have a great time. 

2009-05-08 4:17 PM

Freeland
Wishing all the moms out there a Happy Mothers Day.  Good luck on Sunday Grace.  Hope everybody had a great weekend.  Hopefully I will get a run and or a bike ride in.  Back is feeling better finally. 

"Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising every time we fall."
Confucius

2009-05-08 6:53 PM

User image

Master
Maryland
Thanks jwheat and Justin for the Mother's Day wishes.  There is nothing better for me than being a mom!

There was a great online resource mentioned in my local paper for tracking your food so I checked it out.  It is Lance Armstrong's www.livestrong.com website.  He has a new nutrition log called My Daily Plate.  You enter the foods you ate (it even calorie counts by brand name).  The program tallies up all of your nutritional data for you:  fat (g) sodium (mg) carb (g) protein (g) ect..  It is amazing!  I don't keep track every day but I wanted to try this and I was surprised at the results.  If you want to track your food intake, this site will help.
2009-05-08 7:32 PM
in reply to: #2139862

User image

Veteran
Thanks, everyone and jwheat...WOO HOO for no more back pain!  Look out sneakers...here you come!
2009-05-09 9:43 AM
in reply to: #2139914

User image

Veteran
OK, so the people at FISK racing did not receive either of my two faxes, as denoted by the response, "NO, we did not" (that's all) in an email. I've tried faxing again, calling and emailing.  They said they had a spot for me.  The race is two hours away...should I try going and hope they'll let me race?  I'm also invited to a very important going away party tonight but had said I couldn't go (starts at 10PM) b/c I needed my sleep for the race.  I need advice. I'd rather do the race but am not psyched to drive a total of 4 hours on Mother's Day to be told that I can't register.
-Torn In Massachusetts
2009-05-09 12:16 PM
in reply to: #2140355

User image

Veteran
Elizabethtown, KY

Dear Torn,

I would do whatever I could to find the race director's phone number and call until you get a hold of a real person.

That said, assuming it's a relatively small scale event, I'd have a hard time believing they'd turn you away if you showed up and explained your circumstances.

Wishing you the very best of luck,

Can't Run in Kentucky

2009-05-10 5:55 PM
in reply to: #2140509

User image

Veteran
I did it!  No final results yet...but it looks like I came in at 157/498 in the swim! I passed 5 or so people in the pool on a 15-sec staggered start...and am still smiling. This has been my favorite Mother's Day ever and my husband is making dinner for me right now!  I tried my best, truly.  So no matter what the results say I am going to try and hold on to this feeling.  Oh, and I also took advantage of some transition hints like practicing, rolling my socks, and taking of my helmet while running (off my bike) toward the transition area.  I can't wait to read all of your race reports in the coming months...Happy Mother's Day, Terps and everyone else give a mother a kiss on the cheek

2009-05-10 6:06 PM
in reply to: #2141856

Regular
Newport Beach
Well done Grace, we are all proud of you. Happy Mom's Day.
2009-05-10 8:26 PM

Freeland
Excellent job Grace, keep up the great work. 

Well I got on the bike for the 1st time in about a month.  Road 10.6 miles in about 40 min.  Not real  happy with my performace but what can I expect without training.  Will definelty be back on this week working hard. 
2009-05-10 10:32 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
Subject: RE: Dangremond April 2009 Mentor TEAM - CLOSED (WE'RE BUSY WORKIN' IT!)
Grace, you rock!  So proud of you.  I don't care how you finished.  You were a winner when you lined up to start!

I rode 2 hours of bike drills on Saturday..intense...2X20mins at 100% FTP with 10 min recovery.

Today was 3 hours plus on the TT bike.  Pain still there from the   fit.  The leg is nearly 100 percent.  Going to try to run on Wednesday, I think.  I really have to.  Can't lose any more ground.  Will swim twice, bike hard Tues and Thursday, easy Monday, Wednesday...Friday rest.  Going to Indianapolis for my anniversary over night.  WooHoo!

2009-05-11 12:19 PM

Freeland
Happy aniversary Iceman.  HAve fun.
2009-05-11 5:01 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sorry I've been absent everyone...sick, sick, sick.  But I'm back now!!!  Let's see April was a good month for me.  I started training for the first time for triathlons and I am psyched!!!  I plan on pushing myself the rest of this month to try and make up the week of training I missed out on.

Grace you ROCK!!!  I was waffleing a little on the Evergreen Tri but I gotta do it now!!   You are inspiring me!!

Happy belated Mothers day to all the Mom's and keep up the spirit everyone!!!

Dewey

2009-05-11 10:52 PM

Freeland
Good to see you are feeling better dewcubs.  Welcome back. 
2009-05-12 12:59 PM
in reply to: #2144889

User image

jwheat - 2009-05-11 10:52 PM Good to see you are feeling better dewcubs.  Welcome back. 

x2!!!
2009-05-14 5:19 PM

User image

Master
Maryland

Mitch and team,

How should my first pair of road shoes feel when I get them?  My LBS ordered me at set of Pearl Izumis and I have been researching shoe fit.  From what I have read, they should be a little snug but not too snug in the toes since the feet will swell.
What are your experiences?  Thanks!!

2009-05-14 6:52 PM
in reply to: #2151725

User image

Master
Terps421 - 2009-05-14 5:19 PM

Mitch and team,

How should my first pair of road shoes feel when I get them?  My LBS ordered me at set of Pearl Izumis and I have been researching shoe fit.  From what I have read, they should be a little snug but not too snug in the toes since the feet will swell.

I have very narrow feet so I've always been very limited in what shoes I can find that fit me.  It sounds like you are going in the right direction though.  Anyone else have an opinion?
2009-05-14 7:21 PM

User image

Veteran
Elizabethtown, KY

I like mine just bit snug as well, definitely tighter than my running shoes.  I like the foot feeling like a solid platform.

2009-05-15 7:00 AM

User image

Veteran
Elizabethtown, KY

Okay, Terps has a question on my TL which I couldn't concisely answer, but that I think would benefit from a discussion.

Her question: So you think the one extra swim/week has really helped?

(If you recall, I injured my calf and am on week 6 of 8 of no running, but biking and swimming were okay to do, so I went from swimming 2x to 3x per week).

Here's what I struggle with in answering her question:  I have semi-terrible form.  Terrible in the fact that I can't do the breathing under water thing.  That said, even with the old-man swimming style, I pride myself on not swimming harder but easier and longer.

If you've read the Total Immersion books at all, you'll recognize where I got those concepts from.  What TI tells you though, is that before you add distance you must create an efficient stroke.  The worst thing you can do is imprint bad form by replicating it over longer and longer (or more frequent) workouts, an idea that is totally unlike the other two disciplines.

What have I found in going from 2x to 3x per week?  Well, I've definitely sped up in the pool, no doubt.  I've gone from 2:30/100m to 1:55.  My concern is that I might be just trading long term gain for the short term variety.  Or more appropriately, while I'm speeding up, am I lowering my optimum potential?

It might be too early to tell - but to answer Terps' question, if you have good form, then adding volume will undoubtedly make you faster, as long as you are concentrating less on more effort and more on greater efficiency (playing swim golf for example).

There might be even more to gain by joining a Master's group or hiring a swim coach. 

But I'm not the most experienced swimmer on our team I'm sure - what say the rest of you?

2009-05-15 11:43 AM
in reply to: #2152403

Regular
Newport Beach

roch1009 - 2009-05-15 7:00 AM - What have I found in going from 2x to 3x per week?  Well, I've definitely sped up in the pool, no doubt.  I've gone from 2:30/100m to 1:55.  My concern is that I might be just trading long term gain for the short term variety.  Or more appropriately, while I'm speeding up, am I lowering my optimum potential?

It might be too early to tell - but to answer Terps' question, if you have good form, then adding volume will undoubtedly make you faster, as long as you are concentrating less on more effort and more on greater efficiency (playing swim golf for example).

There might be even more to gain by joining a Master's group or hiring a swim coach. 

Here's my two cents:

Are you lowering your optimum potential?  I would think not.  If you have poor form, adding more yardage or more time will result in improvement, but only up to a point.  Evenutally, you will see less of an impact over time, despite how much you increase yardage or swim sessions.  In otherwords, you will eventually get to a point of diminishing returns.  Generally, swimmers who have poor form see this with improvements of only tenths of a second on their personal best times despite spending lots of time in the water.  Correct the underlying issue with form, and then you see dramatic improvements.  Bad form, however, is not permanent.  More akin to  habit.  Easier not to start down that road, since once it becomes ingrained, you'll find yourself slipping to your old ways when you are tired or when things aren't going right.  Accordingly, many coaches advocate correcting swimming form before upping yardage, etc.  If you have already adopted bad form, it takes more of a conscious effort to leave it behind.

Swimming well, in my mind, is all about being efficient.  Good arm turnover, with the maximum yield in pull for each stroke, staying streamlined in the water and having a good kick will get you from point A to point B faster with less effort.  Correcting your own form is difficult to do since part involves your stroke underwater and the other with re-setting your stroke as your arms come out of the water.  A good Masters coach will help with technique and many masters swim programs offer stroke clinics on the weekends.  Hope this helps. 

2009-05-15 1:37 PM
in reply to: #2151725

User image

Terps421 - 2009-05-14 5:19 PM

Mitch and team,

Mine fit very similar to my running shoes... Shimano Tri Shoes t-30's I think ($109 on sale).  Nothing real hi-tech at all.  Snug around the mid foot and room in the toe box.  I swapped out the insoles for Moldable insoles (heat them up in the oven and put in shoes - mold to foot)...$30

The fit for me is based on the ability to get in and out of the shoes while riding.  Single velcro strap.  I ride sockless almost exclusively.  You shouldn't have a whole lot of movement in the shoe once it is sinched up... Like Jeff said - good platform for transfer of power.  

I hope the shoes are super comfortable for ya, and you will definitely see an increase in power being clipped in compared to regular stand on pedals.  Pedal perfect circles! 
2009-05-15 1:45 PM

User image

my nickle's worth...

Swim - J.G. pretty much covered it (good insight btw)...

Swimming speed really comes from technique + strength + cardio fitness...  The most important is technique.  Form and effeciency are the key.  You don't have to swim 2000 meters to achieve this, and if you have bad form, your increases (in speed) will be very limited... granted you may build strength, and even some cardio fitness and certainly confidence...but real speed comes in the form of technique.

I have a copy of Total Immersion swimmimng I can send to you or any other members of the group if you would like.  It is a great DVD with drills and form etc... 

Jeff ~ concentrate on your form and your speed goals will improve and the distance will follow easily.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Dangremond's April 2009 Mentor TEAM - CLOSED (WE'RE BUSY WORKIN' IT!) Rss Feed  

of 28