BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Dangremond's April 2009 Mentor TEAM - CLOSED (WE'RE BUSY WORKIN' IT!) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 28

2009-04-08 8:16 AM

User image

Master
Subject: Dangremond's April 2009 Mentor TEAM - CLOSED (WE'RE BUSY WORKIN' IT!)

NAME: Dangremond (Mitch)

STORY: In high school and college I was an avid road cyclist.  I got away from fitness while in college and managed to get by during my days as an Officer in the Navy (the physical fitness requirements were not that tough).  As I entered my 30's I knew that I needed to get back into shape before it was too late.  Finally around 35 my wife and I joined a local fitness club and started getting back into shape.  It wasn't long after that until I got back into cycling through spinning classes and my brother-in-law convincing me to join him mountain biking.  After a year or so I got in a an exercise rut and when I learned that not all triathlons were Ironman distance I signed up for a local sprint to give myself a goal and to force myself to get out of my exercise comfort zone.  A year and few months later I have raced in 3 sprint triathlons and ran in my first half-marathon.

FAMILY STATUS: Married with 2 children

CURRENT TRAINING: I have raced Spint distances but plan to race an Olympic or a Half-Ironman in 2009.  Swimming is my toughest discipline and to address that I have gotten a swim coach who is helping me immensely.

THIS YEAR'S RACES:
Raced the Big Fish Sprint Triathlon, Michigan Sprint Championships Triathlon and the Detroit Free Press Half-Marathon in 2008

2009 RACES:  Big Fish Sprint Triathlon, One Helluva Ride (bicycle century ride), Sylvania Triathlon, Michigan Championship Triathlon, Detroit Free Press Half-Marathon

WEIGHTLOSS: I lost about 20 pounds and would like to lose about 10 more.  My limiter in losing additional weight is that I have a weakness for a good burger, fries and a Bass Ale.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOR: I've spent a lot of time over the last year learning about triathlons and the associated training (first hand and through research/reading).  I'm confident that I'll be able to handle all levels of questions, basically I spend most of my free time learning about the sport, the gear and physiology of the training. 

My ultimate goal is to create a supportive group of like minded individuals that will work to keep everyone honest with regard to their plans while being supportive of the challenges we all face integrating our triathlon plans into our daily lives.  I am a very competitive person that likes to work hard toward a defined payoff.  I hope to help each of you as you train and progress in this sport.

Edited by dangremond 2009-04-21 3:49 PM

2009-04-08 8:49 PM
in reply to: #2070412

Regular
Newport Beach
Subject: RE: Dangremond's April 2009 Mentor TEAM - OPEN

Mitch,

I'd like to join your group.  I'm thirty-nine, married, three children (7,3,1)- all girls.  For the last ten years I put family, supporting my wife's career and my own before my health.  I'll spare the details, but my January doctor's visit wasn't pretty.  Since then, I've been jogging at night, 4 to 5 days a week, and I've brought my weight down from 260 in Jan to 220.  Need to get to the 170 range, and will do so by Fall.  I swam competitively in High School and college and played water polo as well.   Cycling is my weakness, especially since I don't have a working bike.  I've never done a triathlon, but plan on doing a couple local sprint races by the end of summer.  I'm also new to the website, so I'm in the process of getting my logs, etc. set up.
Look forward to hearing from you.

2009-04-09 6:05 AM
in reply to: #2072596

User image

Master
Jota - 2009-04-08 8:49 PM

Mitch,

I'd like to join your group.  I'm thirty-nine, married, three children (7,3,1)- all girls.  For the last ten years I put family, supporting my wife's career and my own before my health.  I'll spare the details, but my January doctor's visit wasn't pretty.  Since then, I've been jogging at night, 4 to 5 days a week, and I've brought my weight down from 260 in Jan to 220.  Need to get to the 170 range, and will do so by Fall.  I swam competitively in High School and college and played water polo as well.   Cycling is my weakness, especially since I don't have a working bike.  I've never done a triathlon, but plan on doing a couple local sprint races by the end of summer.  I'm also new to the website, so I'm in the process of getting my logs, etc. set up.
Look forward to hearing from you.

J.G. - would love to have you in our group.  Congrats on the weight loss, I know it isn't easy.  You swimming background will come in handy - I personally think swimming is the toughest.  If cycling is your weakness you should do fine.  I think it is the easiest to develop (once you have a bike), because there isn't a ton of techniques you have to learn and its low impact on your body. 

Welcome aboard!

-Mitch
2009-04-09 12:58 PM

User image

Veteran
Mitch,
I've come this far and would love to continue working with you if that's ok
2009-04-09 1:20 PM

User image

Master
Maryland
Hi Mitch,
I want to continue with your mentor group this summer too.  It is always helpful to get advice and bounce ideas of others and well as receiving inpirations on the training page.
You and the other active members have been very helpful.
Linda 
2009-04-09 2:57 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Mitch,

I would like to join your group if possible.  I am 40, soon to be 41, and I have embarked on a gt in shape mission the last year and a half that has worked out well.  On December 31, 2007 I looked at the scale reading nearly 250 and said enough!!  I am now at 186 and just finished the P90X program and I am planning on doing two or three sprints in August (depends on how I feel after starting training lol).  

It seems this group may fit me well as I have 4 kids under 5 and I also put others ahead of myself and I am now taking time for me .  

I have two different workout plans, one from this site and another from a tri training book that concentrates more on distances than times.  I plan on incorporating the two of them.  

When I tackle something I have only one speed, all out (the old military guy in me), and that is how I am attacking this.

Well, I've rambled, but let me know what you think.

Dewey 

2009-04-09 3:21 PM

Freeland
Mitch,

If you have room I am interested in joining.  I am 33 soon to be 34 years old in Jume.  I am married and have 2 boys 5 1/2 years and 2 years old.  Evere since I graduated college I let myself go.  No that I have a family I want to get back in shape.  I played football in college and have no real swimming or cycling backgrond.  I am currently 240 lbs, dropped about 20 lbs this winter and I want to reach the 205 lbs this summer.  This past winter i took a triathlon swim class and at local college and it helped tremendously.  I try and run 3-4x a week and swim 2x a week.  I just got a new bike so i will try and bike 2x a week as well.  The thing that is most frustrating for me is that i work a swing shift schedule and I switch from days to nights every 2 weeks.   I currently do not have a 2009 schedule do to work requirments but would like to do 1 a month starting in June (mostly sprint and then a Oly at t he end of this year).  Let me know if there is anything else you need form me thank you.

Jon
2009-04-09 3:26 PM

User image

Master
Garce & Linda - Glad to have you both back in the new group.

Dewey & Jon - Glad to have both of you join us.

2009-04-09 3:47 PM

NW PA
Mitch,

I would like to join your group.

I'm coming from a running background, 5k, 10k, half marys; no full marathons yet. I actually loved running, but decided I needed more. I'm training for my first sprint tri in June and have a few other races on my calendar and training blog on BT.I'm struggling with the swim, but making progress. About myself:

Recently remarried after being single for 20 years. I have 2 grown daughters. One a professor at GVSU, and the other a middle/high school math/social studies teacher. I am 55 years old. I too, am a teacher; 8th grade English. I am very diligent, do not give up, and extremely competitive. I hope there is room to join.

albert5234 (Al)  
2009-04-09 4:05 PM
in reply to: #2074640

User image

Master
Al - welcome aboard!
2009-04-10 7:31 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
Hi,

I'm still a member of Todd's mentor group, which is continuing, but would like to join yours too, if I can.  I can use all the inspiration I can get, and I'm attracted by the fact you started as a cyclist.  Me too.  Most others seem to come by way of running - which is not my favorite thing.   Not that it matters totally, we all wind up in the same place, but I love bikes.  They saved my life.  

My name is Scott.  My friends call me IceMan.  I'm 57, a cancer survivor, and the outdoor recreation/travel editor at the local newspaper.  I'm approaching my one year anniversary to the woman of my dreams.  We went to high school together, but never meet until 3 years ago after she read about how I took up a bike in 2005 when my waist reached 
"50" in spring 2005.  That was more than 24,000 miles ago.  After I lost some girth, I went to a doctor for a long overdue physical.  No symptoms.  But, wham, cancer of the prostate.  I rode 17 miles the morning of my surgery to turn 3500 miles for the first half of 2006.  Ended that year with more than 7000.  Cancer does not have to stop you unless you let it.

As I kept losing weight, I started racing the bike leg of a tri-relay team for LiveSTRONG in 2007 and 2008.   I fell in love with the people.  They are so mutually inspiring.  Competitors, yes, but always pushing each other to do their best and celebrating with someone who does. What other sport do you find that?  Trick question.  The answer is none.

So after last year's race, I decided to try cross training to get out of a rut my body had fallen into.  If you keep asking it to do the same things, it will become quite efficient at it.   Mine did.  The weight loss slowed at a 40 inch waist.  

I knew running would be the limiter.  So I did a couch to 5K plan in 6 weeks and was running! I was on the swim team in high school many many years ago.  But I was a sprinter.  100 yards and done.  I joined Masters and the coach there is fantastic.  He had me swimming a mile in 6 weeks.   So now I have a bike coach through Robbie Ventura's Vision Quest, a Masters swimming coach and I joined the running club's intermediate coaching group and am now under 30 mins for 5K and running 7.5 miles. 

My waist is now at 36 inches, my original goal.  Still losing, still getting stronger.

Races this year are a sprint here near Bloomington, Ill. on June 6 and an oly on July 18 at the same venue.  After that, my bike coach wants me to do a couple of more Olys this year, and then we will consider a half IM in 2010 and maybe a full IM (if the legs hold up) in 2011, the year I turn 60.  I want the tattoo!  I'll work in a half marathon and full marathon sometime before. 

2009-04-10 7:44 AM

User image

Veteran
Elizabethtown, KY

Well, I guess I'm in too (Eeyore voice).

I've decided the silver lining is I'll REALLY be able to develop the bike over the next 8 weeks.

And maybe even the swim.

Heck, could even come out of this thing stronger.

2009-04-10 8:38 AM
in reply to: #2075610

User image

Master
IceManScott - 2009-04-10 7:31 AM Hi,

I'm still a member of Todd's mentor group, which is continuing, but would like to join yours too, if I can.  I can use all the inspiration I can get, and I'm attracted by the fact you started as a cyclist.  Me too.  Most others seem to come by way of running - which is not my favorite thing.   Not that it matters totally, we all wind up in the same place, but I love bikes.  They saved my life.  

My name is Scott.  My friends call me IceMan.  I'm 57, a cancer survivor, and the outdoor recreation/travel editor at the local newspaper.  I'm approaching my one year anniversary to the woman of my dreams.  We went to high school together, but never meet until 3 years ago after she read about how I took up a bike in 2005 when my waist reached 
"50" in spring 2005.  That was more than 24,000 miles ago.  After I lost some girth, I went to a doctor for a long overdue physical.  No symptoms.  But, wham, cancer of the prostate.  I rode 17 miles the morning of my surgery to turn 3500 miles for the first half of 2006.  Ended that year with more than 7000.  Cancer does not have to stop you unless you let it.

As I kept losing weight, I started racing the bike leg of a tri-relay team for LiveSTRONG in 2007 and 2008.   I fell in love with the people.  They are so mutually inspiring.  Competitors, yes, but always pushing each other to do their best and celebrating with someone who does. What other sport do you find that?  Trick question.  The answer is none.

So after last year's race, I decided to try cross training to get out of a rut my body had fallen into.  If you keep asking it to do the same things, it will become quite efficient at it.   Mine did.  The weight loss slowed at a 40 inch waist.  

I knew running would be the limiter.  So I did a couch to 5K plan in 6 weeks and was running! I was on the swim team in high school many many years ago.  But I was a sprinter.  100 yards and done.  I joined Masters and the coach there is fantastic.  He had me swimming a mile in 6 weeks.   So now I have a bike coach through Robbie Ventura's Vision Quest, a Masters swimming coach and I joined the running club's intermediate coaching group and am now under 30 mins for 5K and running 7.5 miles. 

My waist is now at 36 inches, my original goal.  Still losing, still getting stronger.

Races this year are a sprint here near Bloomington, Ill. on June 6 and an oly on July 18 at the same venue.  After that, my bike coach wants me to do a couple of more Olys this year, and then we will consider a half IM in 2010 and maybe a full IM (if the legs hold up) in 2011, the year I turn 60.  I want the tattoo!  I'll work in a half marathon and full marathon sometime before.  

Scott, glad to have your energy and what looks like an inspiring personality on our Team.  Welcome aboard!
2009-04-10 8:39 AM
in reply to: #2075630

User image

Master
roch1009 - 2009-04-10 7:44 AM

Well, I guess I'm in too (Eeyore voice).

I've decided the silver lining is I'll REALLY be able to develop the bike over the next 8 weeks.

And maybe even the swim.

Heck, could even come out of this thing stronger.

Glad to have you on the team again!

2009-04-10 12:24 PM

User image

Master
The group is still open and would like to get at least two more folks to join.  What plans does everyone have for the weekend?

Here's mine:

(1) get out on the road (off of the trainer - YAY!) with my bike tomorrow morning for about 1 hr
(2) Smoke somw chicken on my new Weber smoker on either Sat or Sunday
(3) Ride outside again on Sunday morning and follow it up with a run.

That will give me a pretty honest effort for the week.  Let me know what each of you have planned and what questions, etc. yo might have.  Also, let us all know something unique about yourself.
2009-04-10 2:08 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
Brick Saturday - 2 hour ride with intense drills and a 5K run.  Then, have to make a road trip to pick up a bike part a friend forget for my new TT bike.  Should be built up by Sunday!

Then Sunday, three hour endurance ride before Easter dinner with the step kids and their families.   Can't fit a swim in.

Happy holidays,
Ice

2009-04-10 2:09 PM
in reply to: #2076465

Regular
Newport Beach

Wife is working for the better part of the long weekend, so main goal is to entertain the girls.  Easter egg coloring and decorating.  But, I do plan on getting out tonight and Sat for the evening runs (just earlier than the last couple of nights).  People that you meet on the street changes quickly as the night wears on!

As for the unique part, although I'm sad to admit it, I'm well versed in all things Barbie, including movies and I think I've watched every single Backyardigans episode there is.

Thanks for having me in your group.  It looks like a diverse group with a wide range of experience and strenghts. 

2009-04-10 2:35 PM
in reply to: #2076701

User image

Master
Last night was Easter Egg production in my house...my wife was out shopping and I thought for sure my trainer ride was not going to happen.  My 10 yr old surprised me and handled the whole Easter Egg affair, including the clean-up.  Both my girls (10 & 6) did a great job and I even got a great trainer ride in.  Hoo-ya!
2009-04-10 2:48 PM

User image

New user

Edited by contin 2009-04-12 6:54 PM
2009-04-10 2:55 PM

User image

Veteran
Elizabethtown, KY

Trainer ride tonight - then likely nothing this weekend of note.  Well, does driving for 12+ hours count?

Like, maybe it's a way to test my mental endurance?

2009-04-10 3:09 PM

Freeland
I woke up early enough for a 5o min weight training session.  Hopefully tonight I can get a run or a bike in, maybe 30 to 45 min.  It is not easy finding time to work out with wife kids work and what ever else you got going on.

2009-04-10 4:19 PM

NW PA
Hopefully a swim workout tonight. Plumber/bathroom guy came earlier just as I was getting ready to leave for the pool; he just left. 3 hour drive tomorrow morning to the in-laws. Food and drink tomorrow. Hopefully a 4 miler run Sunday morning, church, dinner and head home in the afternoon.  

Have a great and safe holiday.

Al
2009-04-10 4:51 PM

User image

Master
Maryland
I will run tomorrow morning about 12 miles with a negative split.  Then, I will go to the gym to lift weights.  In the afternoon I plan on riding outdoors for an hour of endurance and strength or on my trainer for an hour of strength work. 

Sunday morning I will run long or do a BRICK and ride the trainer after a delicious dinner at "Grandma's".

I hope to lube my bike chain weekend too.

2009-04-10 6:18 PM

Regular
Plano, Tx
Mitch,

I'd like to join your group. I am trying to loose weight and be ready for my sprint tri come may 30th.
2009-04-10 6:51 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
The plan is to either swim or run tonight depending on when the wife gets back.  Easter egg hunt Saturday and Easter dinner Sunday.  I gotta get a ride in sometime this weekend as I bought a bike a week and a half ago and have ridden it ONCE!!!!

Iceman Scott.  I live in Bloomington and work at the Farm, weird huh?  We will have to ride together before the end of the summer, I need some warm up rides by myself first newbie you know!!!  Are you riding with the McLean county wheelers?

Dewey
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Dangremond's April 2009 Mentor TEAM - CLOSED (WE'RE BUSY WORKIN' IT!) Rss Feed  

of 28