BT Development Mentor Program Archives » The Great Adventure - closed and ready to go. Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 10

2009-06-23 10:28 AM
in reply to: #2234003

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ellensburg, WA
Subject: RE: The Great Adventure - closed and ready to go.
triat45 - 2009-06-22 9:35 AM

Scott,
This is sunny (and sweltering hot) Florida.  No wet suits allowed! For all the races during the late-spring and summer, the water is normally warm enough where USAT prohibits wet suit use. It got to 100 yesterday, which is another reason I started at 7AM. I do like your idea of layering it and having it underneath, but unfortunately that's not applicable here. I guess I'll practice doing it more -my wife suggested rolling the jersey up from the bottom(while setting up transition) and then putting it on and simply unrolling it, but that sounded way too easy so I'll have to try it.  

Well then I guess you could cut up a wetsuit all you want and it isn't going to help a bit. Hahaha. You might think about a tri top that fits pretty well. Then you can wear it in the swim, bike and run and never have to change. I honestly have never raced in a warmer climate. What do others do?

2009-06-23 3:50 PM
in reply to: #2071252

User image

Great job, Evan!! I live in Northern California & men here wear biker shorts (no or minimal padding) & a tri tank top. I have a tri suit I wear for the Swim & bike (in my profile picture) & for the RUN I will throw on a tec shirt. Hope it helps.
2009-06-23 4:18 PM
in reply to: #2232845

User image

New York City
Scott-

I think the highlight was that I finished. I felt strong at the end of the race, so I had the endurance to do thje race. I would like a faster time, but I'm not going to complain about this time. It's the first race of the year (and third ever).

I am hoping that having done this, I will feel more comfortable in the water. I was surprised that y time and place were better than I thought.

My next race is the New York City Tri on July 26. It is a mile swim (in the Hudson River), 25 mile bike, and 6.2 mile run.

John
2009-06-24 10:12 AM

User image

Elite
Raleigh
Great job John! Triat45 I am glad my simulated tri idea worked.

I had my first tri on June 7. It was a sprint. I started 102 outof 201 based on an estimate of 1:50 for 100 yds. I finished 13th overall in a time of 1:07:27. I was 2nd in my AG. I passed 3 people during the swim and did not get passed. I had the 6th fastest bike at 21.31 mph. I passed 30-40 people and did not get passed. The run was not great but once again I did not get passed. Very happy about the not getting passed thing.

This sunday is my 2nd tri, another sprint. 250 yds swim, 12 mile bike, 5K run. There are 400 entrants in this one. Shoulb be interesting. I rode and ran the course already as I like to know what to expect. July 12 is my 3rd and it has an OWS. I will be doing my first OWS practice tonight.

Doug
2009-06-29 9:14 AM

User image

Kings Mountain, NC
http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=166774

Well I had my first race this weekend!!! it went very well all things considered.  the race report is listed above.  I am happy with my performance I accomplished both of my goals.  I finished with a smile and never walked during the run course which was a really tough hilly run.  I was really pleased with my bike time at 39:39 for 12 miles.  O and scott great idea on the socks just wipped them off after the swim and clean feet! great suggestion.  Hard to believe six months ago I was only able to walk for 20 minutes.  I love going back and looking at my training log in january and feburary and seeing all the growth. 
2009-06-29 4:16 PM
in reply to: #2249769

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ellensburg, WA
stiga00 - 2009-06-29 7:14 AM

http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=166774

Well I had my first race this weekend!!! it went very well all things considered.  the race report is listed above.  I am happy with my performance I accomplished both of my goals.  I finished with a smile and never walked during the run course which was a really tough hilly run.  I was really pleased with my bike time at 39:39 for 12 miles.  O and scott great idea on the socks just wipped them off after the swim and clean feet! great suggestion.  Hard to believe six months ago I was only able to walk for 20 minutes.  I love going back and looking at my training log in january and feburary and seeing all the growth. 

Glad the socks worked. Our exercise logs are great motivators. All you have to do is look back and see how far you have come. Nice Job!

2009-07-01 9:26 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ellensburg, WA
Now that training and racing is under way for many of us, how do you handle recovery in training and after a race? What works for you and what hasn't? How is training going?
2009-07-03 4:17 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ellensburg, WA
Have a great 4th everyone!!!
2009-07-08 11:47 AM

User image

A cubicle in Jacksonville, FL

Scott & everyone,
Wow- everyone seems to be doing pretty well. Doug- excellent job on your Tri! I've got my first race this Saturday, and I'm psyched. Although I looked at the forecast, and it doesnt look too good. Anyone know what they do when the weather is bad? I've heard people talking about cancelling parts of the race, mostly the bike or swim, for weather related reasons, but I was curious as to what anyone else has heard.
As far as the shirt dilemma, I took Scotts advice on the 'practice as you're going to race' and rolled up my cycling jersey and it made it easier to get on even when I was wet from the swim. So I've been doing that and it's worked out well.

-Evan

2009-07-08 4:56 PM
in reply to: #2270305

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ellensburg, WA
triat45 - 2009-07-08 9:47 AM

Scott & everyone,
Wow- everyone seems to be doing pretty well. Doug- excellent job on your Tri! I've got my first race this Saturday, and I'm psyched. Although I looked at the forecast, and it doesnt look too good. Anyone know what they do when the weather is bad? I've heard people talking about cancelling parts of the race, mostly the bike or swim, for weather related reasons, but I was curious as to what anyone else has heard.
As far as the shirt dilemma, I took Scotts advice on the 'practice as you're going to race' and rolled up my cycling jersey and it made it easier to get on even when I was wet from the swim. So I've been doing that and it's worked out well.

-Evan

Hi Evan,
I honestly have never been to a race where they cancelled part of it, though I have raced in the rain, snow and even a little ice so I wouldn't worry about that. Glad the shirt is working for you. Race day has always just been a bad day for me to try something new. Good luck at your race. I hope it goes well and you have lots of fun. let us know how it goes.
scott
2009-07-08 11:47 PM

Regular
Denver
It's been a while since I've posted. I've been busy. Fortunately, a lot of that has been running, biking, swimming. Two weeks ago I rode in the MS 150. That gave me about ten hours in the saddle over two days. My butt had had it by the time I was done! I was a bit under trained, having never ridden more than 53 miles (and that had just been the previous Saturday), but the ride was extremely well supported and fortunately mostly flat.

Then this past weekend I decided I hadn't been running enough, so I signed up for a July 4th four mile run. I had never run four miles, I think the furthest I had gone was about 3.5. My goal going in was to run 10:30s, so 42:00 minutes. I banged it out in 40:54.  10:30ish for the first mile, 10:30ish for the second, 10:00ish for the 3rd and 9:50ish for the final mile.  Yay for negative splits.

And for this weekend's fun, I've signed up for "Tri the Creek" sprint tri, 800m swim, 12 mile bike, 5k run.  Hopefully, the wetsuit I ordered gets to me.  I sent it to work, but didn't put my company's name on the shipping info and the mailroom told me the UPS guy won't even bring it in.  Oh well, not sure I want to swim in a wetsuit for the first time in a race.  The water temp of the lake is supposedly 70-75.  Oh, I haven't gotten around to an open water swim yet either.  So much for nothing new on race day.  lol.

- Bob

2009-07-09 7:58 AM
in reply to: #2271319

User image

A cubicle in Jacksonville, FL
All,
Any suggestions for a good 'night before the race' meal idea? I've read that one shouldn't eat a meal high in fiber the night before the race, but beyond that I wasn't sure what was common or a good idea/bad idea. Part of me is thinking just have a protein shake and be sure to take in some extra extra fluids. Any ideas? My race is saturday morning, 7/11. I've got my race morning planned out (up at 4am to some cereal and skim milk, followed by some gatorade) and then have a gel about 15 mins prior to my wave starting. Starting to get that nervous/excited feeling. I think it'll hit me tomorrow after work when I pick up my race packet.

2009-07-10 3:18 PM
in reply to: #2272008

Regular
Denver
Some stupid questions before tomorrow's tri.
- Do you wet your hair before putting on a swim cap or do it dry?
- Any advice on getting out of a wetsuit quickly?
- Where do you put the wetsuit in the transition area?
- I rode the bike course last night, well, most of it, I made a wrong turn along the way.  There are some nasty cracks running across the road throughout the course.  What's the best way to handle this?  Try to bunny hop them?  Grit my teeth and ride through them?

I hope to at least get to the pool tonight to try out the wetsuit.  Depending on how that goes, I may go suitless.  How much time do you generally drop by wearing a wetsuit?  The race has an 800m swim that I anticipate will take me 18-20 minutes, but that is kind of a WAG.  I generally swim about 2:00-2:10 per 100 yds in a 25 yd pool.
2009-07-10 5:30 PM
in reply to: #2272008

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ellensburg, WA
BobJ123 - 2009-07-08 9:47 PM

It's been a while since I've posted. I've been busy. Fortunately, a lot of that has been running, biking, swimming. Two weeks ago I rode in the MS 150. That gave me about ten hours in the saddle over two days. My butt had had it by the time I was done! I was a bit under trained, having never ridden more than 53 miles (and that had just been the previous Saturday), but the ride was extremely well supported and fortunately mostly flat.

Then this past weekend I decided I hadn't been running enough, so I signed up for a July 4th four mile run. I had never run four miles, I think the furthest I had gone was about 3.5. My goal going in was to run 10:30s, so 42:00 minutes. I banged it out in 40:54.  10:30ish for the first mile, 10:30ish for the second, 10:00ish for the 3rd and 9:50ish for the final mile.  Yay for negative splits.

And for this weekend's fun, I've signed up for "Tri the Creek" sprint tri, 800m swim, 12 mile bike, 5k run.  Hopefully, the wetsuit I ordered gets to me.  I sent it to work, but didn't put my company's name on the shipping info and the mailroom told me the UPS guy won't even bring it in.  Oh well, not sure I want to swim in a wetsuit for the first time in a race.  The water temp of the lake is supposedly 70-75.  Oh, I haven't gotten around to an open water swim yet either.  So much for nothing new on race day.  lol.

- Bob

You've been busy. Sounds like a lot of fun. Don't worry. We all have the way we would like races to go but they seldom cooperate. Let us know how your tri goes this weekend and good luck. Finish with a smile.

Scott
2009-07-10 5:34 PM
in reply to: #2272290

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ellensburg, WA
triat45 - 2009-07-09 5:58 AM

All,
Any suggestions for a good 'night before the race' meal idea? I've read that one shouldn't eat a meal high in fiber the night before the race, but beyond that I wasn't sure what was common or a good idea/bad idea. Part of me is thinking just have a protein shake and be sure to take in some extra extra fluids. Any ideas? My race is saturday morning, 7/11. I've got my race morning planned out (up at 4am to some cereal and skim milk, followed by some gatorade) and then have a gel about 15 mins prior to my wave starting. Starting to get that nervous/excited feeling. I think it'll hit me tomorrow after work when I pick up my race packet.

I usually have dinner early so my system has a chance to empty before the race. I usually have a pasta or fish. I wouldn't go away from your norm too much, just do what you do normally and you'll be fine. I would also start sipping your gatorade the day before. Build up those electrolyte reserves so you aren't starting behind the ball. As far as the morning of I have a protein shake with a banana about 3-4 hours before. Then if you want to take a gel take it about 5-10 minutes before and drink water with it. Any longer than that and it won't do you much good (according to Joe Friel). Have a ton of fun. You'll be great.

Scott
2009-07-10 5:39 PM
in reply to: #2276941

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ellensburg, WA
BobJ123 - 2009-07-10 1:18 PM

Some stupid questions before tomorrow's tri.
- Do you wet your hair before putting on a swim cap or do it dry?
- Any advice on getting out of a wetsuit quickly?
- Where do you put the wetsuit in the transition area?
- I rode the bike course last night, well, most of it, I made a wrong turn along the way.  There are some nasty cracks running across the road throughout the course.  What's the best way to handle this?  Try to bunny hop them?  Grit my teeth and ride through them?

I hope to at least get to the pool tonight to try out the wetsuit.  Depending on how that goes, I may go suitless.  How much time do you generally drop by wearing a wetsuit?  The race has an 800m swim that I anticipate will take me 18-20 minutes, but that is kind of a WAG.  I generally swim about 2:00-2:10 per 100 yds in a 25 yd pool.

Ask all the questions you want.

Put on the cap with dry hair
For getting out of the wetsuit quickly put body glide around your ankles and arms and neck. If this is not rented then I cut my arms and legs a bit shorter on the suit and it made it much easier to get in and out of because the openings were wider. Also practice grabbing the zipper cord.

I usually grit my teeth through cracks or go around. You can bunny hop if you want but its preference.

Honestly a wetsuit may not take much time off your swim but it will make you much more comfortable IF you are used to it. The first time I wore mine I thought I was going to drown because I couldn't breathe. I needed to practice in it. If the water is warm and you haven't practiced some with it then you are probably better off without. Again up to you. Hope that helps. i will check back tonight if you have any other questions.

Scott

2009-07-10 9:28 PM
in reply to: #2277188

Regular
Denver
Test drove the wetsuit at Y's pool.  Wow.  I feel zoomy.  I flew threw about 250 yds, my biggest issue was not crashing into the wall at the end.  Well, maybe not, but I definitely felt faster and it was pretty comfortable so I will be wearing it tomorrow.  It was also super easy to get out of (getting in was a different story, but that's not timed.).  It's an Xterra Vortex 3, btw.
2009-07-10 10:03 PM
in reply to: #2277468

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ellensburg, WA
BobJ123 - 2009-07-10 7:28 PM

Test drove the wetsuit at Y's pool.  Wow.  I feel zoomy.  I flew threw about 250 yds, my biggest issue was not crashing into the wall at the end.  Well, maybe not, but I definitely felt faster and it was pretty comfortable so I will be wearing it tomorrow.  It was also super easy to get out of (getting in was a different story, but that's not timed.).  It's an Xterra Vortex 3, btw.

Very good! Well I am anxious to hear how you do.

Scott
2009-07-12 12:16 PM
in reply to: #2277509

Regular
Denver
holt1997 - 2009-07-10 9:03 PM
BobJ123 - 2009-07-10 7:28 PM Test drove the wetsuit at Y's pool.  Wow.  I feel zoomy.  I flew threw about 250 yds, my biggest issue was not crashing into the wall at the end.  Well, maybe not, but I definitely felt faster and it was pretty comfortable so I will be wearing it tomorrow.  It was also super easy to get out of (getting in was a different story, but that's not timed.).  It's an Xterra Vortex 3, btw.
Very good! Well I am anxious to hear how you do. Scott

Quick summary: it was awesome. I did much better than I thought I would, really hammering the bike and doing better on the run than I thought I would.  I felt like I biked and ran about as fast as I possibly could and left it all on the course.  I was on the verge of going into the red zone pretty much the whole time, feeling like if I pushed any harder I would end up puking.  My transitions could have been a little better, particularly T1, but they were still a lot smoother than my first tri a month ago, even with the wetsuit.  I beat at least two guys in my age group, since we had our bikes racked by age group so I could see I was ahead at the transitions and then I saw one of them during the run after I had turned around.  They told me afterward that they finished pretty close to each other. 

I'm not sure of my swim time because they aren't going to have the full rankings and split times posted until tomorrow, I have no idea why, since they had the time totals and the winners half an hour after the last racer finished.  So, all I know for sure is my total time was 1:28:52, and actually I'm not positive it was exactly :52 since my name was in the middle of the page I could have been looking at the time above or below mine.  But, it's in that neighborhood.  I have my own splits from the bike (38:57 for 12.53 miles) and run (26:08 for 2.6 miles).  So that leaves 24 minutes for the swim and transitions.  Given that they couldn't measure the bike or run courses accurately at all, I'm not sure how close to 800 yds the swim really was.  It felt longer, but not having done open water swims before I don't know.  Seriously though, how do you miss a 5k distance by .5 miles?  The first mile marker was exactly 1.0 on my GPS, the second mile marker was at 1.6.  Basically, it was an out & back course and the turnaround was a quarter of a mile too soon.  But, I'm not complaining, I was cooked by the end anyway.

The wetsuit worked great, I think the swim would have completely freaked me out without it.  It was so nice to be able to just float for a couple seconds periodically.  I got in the lake a few minutes early to see what it was going to be like.  I'm glad I did, since the near zero visibility took some getting used to.  I definitely have room for improvement in open water swimming, I was weaving a bunch and wasted a lot of time spotting the buoys.  But, I got through it and as i said was ahead of a chunk of my age group. 

Basically, I finished ahead of some people in the swim, passed a bunch on the bike, and got passed a bunch on the run.  But 10 minute miles were way above expectation for me.  Now I'm thinking I might make 30 minutes my goal for the 5k run in the Rattlesnake Tri next month.

I feel so-so today, my legs are pretty sore.  I am just going to go to the pool for a few laps and probably not get on the bike or do any running today.  Tomorrow is an off day and then it's back at it on Tuesday.

Update: Times are posted.  I finished 18/24 in my age group and 177/302 overall, which was a nice surprise.  I actually did best in the swim compared to my fellow competitors, 16/24.  Here are my splits:
Swim: 20:26.1 (16/24)
T1: 2:30.3
Bike 39:17.7 (17/24)
T2: 57.5
Run: 25:40.5 (21/24)
Total: 1:28:52 (18/24)

For comparison, the winner in my class had 1:05:26.  The fastest swim was 13:25, fastest bike 30:49, fastest run 15:24.

Edited by BobJ123 2009-07-13 1:59 PM
2009-07-15 10:06 AM
in reply to: #2279184

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ellensburg, WA
BobJ123 - 2009-07-12 10:16 AM

holt1997 - 2009-07-10 9:03 PM
BobJ123 - 2009-07-10 7:28 PM Test drove the wetsuit at Y's pool.  Wow.  I feel zoomy.  I flew threw about 250 yds, my biggest issue was not crashing into the wall at the end.  Well, maybe not, but I definitely felt faster and it was pretty comfortable so I will be wearing it tomorrow.  It was also super easy to get out of (getting in was a different story, but that's not timed.).  It's an Xterra Vortex 3, btw.
Very good! Well I am anxious to hear how you do. Scott

Quick summary: it was awesome. I did much better than I thought I would, really hammering the bike and doing better on the run than I thought I would.  I felt like I biked and ran about as fast as I possibly could and left it all on the course.  I was on the verge of going into the red zone pretty much the whole time, feeling like if I pushed any harder I would end up puking.  My transitions could have been a little better, particularly T1, but they were still a lot smoother than my first tri a month ago, even with the wetsuit.  I beat at least two guys in my age group, since we had our bikes racked by age group so I could see I was ahead at the transitions and then I saw one of them during the run after I had turned around.  They told me afterward that they finished pretty close to each other. 

I'm not sure of my swim time because they aren't going to have the full rankings and split times posted until tomorrow, I have no idea why, since they had the time totals and the winners half an hour after the last racer finished.  So, all I know for sure is my total time was 1:28:52, and actually I'm not positive it was exactly :52 since my name was in the middle of the page I could have been looking at the time above or below mine.  But, it's in that neighborhood.  I have my own splits from the bike (38:57 for 12.53 miles) and run (26:08 for 2.6 miles).  So that leaves 24 minutes for the swim and transitions.  Given that they couldn't measure the bike or run courses accurately at all, I'm not sure how close to 800 yds the swim really was.  It felt longer, but not having done open water swims before I don't know.  Seriously though, how do you miss a 5k distance by .5 miles?  The first mile marker was exactly 1.0 on my GPS, the second mile marker was at 1.6.  Basically, it was an out & back course and the turnaround was a quarter of a mile too soon.  But, I'm not complaining, I was cooked by the end anyway.

The wetsuit worked great, I think the swim would have completely freaked me out without it.  It was so nice to be able to just float for a couple seconds periodically.  I got in the lake a few minutes early to see what it was going to be like.  I'm glad I did, since the near zero visibility took some getting used to.  I definitely have room for improvement in open water swimming, I was weaving a bunch and wasted a lot of time spotting the buoys.  But, I got through it and as i said was ahead of a chunk of my age group. 

Basically, I finished ahead of some people in the swim, passed a bunch on the bike, and got passed a bunch on the run.  But 10 minute miles were way above expectation for me.  Now I'm thinking I might make 30 minutes my goal for the 5k run in the Rattlesnake Tri next month.

I feel so-so today, my legs are pretty sore.  I am just going to go to the pool for a few laps and probably not get on the bike or do any running today.  Tomorrow is an off day and then it's back at it on Tuesday.

Update: Times are posted.  I finished 18/24 in my age group and 177/302 overall, which was a nice surprise.  I actually did best in the swim compared to my fellow competitors, 16/24.  Here are my splits:
Swim: 20:26.1 (16/24)
T1: 2:30.3
Bike 39:17.7 (17/24)
T2: 57.5
Run: 25:40.5 (21/24)
Total: 1:28:52 (18/24)

For comparison, the winner in my class had 1:05:26.  The fastest swim was 13:25, fastest bike 30:49, fastest run 15:24.

Nice work. Sounds like you had a good time and did well. Was the race what you expected? So what was the best part and what would you call a learning experience.
2009-07-15 11:44 AM
in reply to: #2286677

Regular
Denver
holt1997 - 2009-07-15 9:06 AM Nice work. Sounds like you had a good time and did well. Was the race what you expected? So what was the best part and what would you call a learning experience.

It was pretty much what I expected.  It was more social both before and after than the previous tri I did, which was nice.  The open water swim was a little bit different.  With a little practice, I think I can handle that fairly easily.  Even just swimming around for a few minutes before the start helped.  I was shocked that I got 16/24 in that, given that I felt like I was going really slowly and can definitely go faster just by practicing buoy sighting and weaving less.  So, that was a learning experience.  The best part was I pushed myself harder than I thought I was capable of and my body held up.  I am still feeling it today, but that's okay.  I am amazed that I got 18/24 in my age group and definitely feel like I can improve a lot in the swim, a little on the bike, and a fair amount in the run.  It was very encouraging.

2009-07-27 12:27 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ellensburg, WA
Hello group,I think everyone seems pretty well off and running so I think I am going to close the group (unless anyone has any objections). Thank you for allowing me to be a small part of your start into triathlon. PLease kepe in touch via the inspires and if you ever have any questions please feel to ask. I am always happy to help out. Thanks again and best wishes.Scott
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » The Great Adventure - closed and ready to go. Rss Feed  

of 10