BT Development Mentor Program Archives » GordoByrn's Group Full for the Spring Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 27

2009-05-07 9:17 AM
in reply to: #2130094

User image

Extreme Veteran
Boulder, CO
Subject: RE: GordoByrn's Group Full for the Spring
BabsVa - 2009-05-04 7:32 PM

Hey I swam with the ankles tied today. Ha! It got rough toward the end of the length but when I had momentum from the push off the wall not too bad. Surely increased turnover and stroke count. Also tried it w/pull buoy, too and fins - did not seem to make much diff with either one.

What is the lesson to be learned from the ankle band drill?

If you use Band then I recommend that you use the pullbuoy with it as well.  The goal is to push straight back.  Band and Buoy (BB) - is designed to increase the load on your arm and, if you don't injure yourself, will increase swim-specific strength.  Also, if your pull pattern is not straight back then you will see that your hips swing.  If you are using BB then recommend that you swim longer intervals to get the feel for what I'm talking about -- I normally do 1000s or 800s.

2009-05-07 9:20 AM
in reply to: #2134847

User image

Extreme Veteran
Boulder, CO
cjhild - 2009-05-06 2:48 PM I did 800 yards straight today! 

Gordo-

I will be starting the DB 1400 next week, with that should I ever mix in long continuous swims or just stay within the confines of the drills?

Also, the countdown to race day has begun, my race is on Saturday.  Anything I should keep in mind or do heading into my third triathlon, two days away?

The swims are "swimming", not drilling -- let me know if that isn't clear.

I think that it's OK to mix in longer continuous swims.  Feel free to do that.  You can also change speed during your continuous swims to make it a bit more interesting -- I tend to adjust pace a little between 100s (not max, just a little difference) to get some variety.

For all your races -- pace your day so that you give yourself every opportunity to run well.  Know that nearly everyone around you will start too fast and let the other athletes make the mistakes.

2009-05-07 9:21 AM
in reply to: #2135032

User image

Extreme Veteran
Boulder, CO
BabsVa - 2009-05-06 4:01 PM

Gotta stop you there. I felt so damn dizzy when I got out of the pool I walked into the men's locker room.

That's pretty entertaining -- I always check 2x, or 3x, when swimming at a new pool.

2009-05-07 3:24 PM
in reply to: #2135032

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southern California
BabsVa - 2009-05-06 3:01 PM

The Babs1500

Oh yeah, that is my goal four weeks out, it is on my wall- The Babs1500

2009-05-07 3:27 PM
in reply to: #2136125

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southern California
GordoByrn - 2009-05-07 7:20 AM

pace your day so that you give yourself every opportunity to run well

I am going to try!  At my last race I went too hard and did not have as good of a run as I could have.

G- when is your next race?
2009-05-08 1:02 PM
in reply to: #2072085

User image

Extreme Veteran
Wahiawa, Hawaii.... but now in Florence, KY..
i have my second ever race tomorrow (sprint) . . . my b/l breathing is getting better so i'll let yall know how it goes!

boom

2009-05-08 3:01 PM
in reply to: #2137143

User image

Extreme Veteran
Boulder, CO
cjhild - 2009-05-07 2:27 PM

pace your day so that you give yourself every opportunity to run well

I am going to try!  At my last race I went too hard and did not have as good of a run as I could have.

G- when is your next race?

I signed up for a new Oly Distance race at the end of August -- Wild on Windsor.

2009-05-08 7:07 PM

Expert

Hey all - so we've got Boom, Justin and Karen racing on Saturday, and Matthew and me on Sunday, at the same race. So the season is really here woo hoo. I swam in the lake (shhh) today and it was just beautiful. Up north where I am from the water is clear(er) than down here but I guess I've finally gotten used to it. Good luck everyone!

2009-05-08 7:31 PM

User image

New user
Goals question...

Hey Gordo -- was on the treadmill earlier (this time of year, if you don't get outside at the crack of dawn in AZ to run, it's too hot) and thinking about my goals.

I have actually been thinking about ALL of my goals lately, not just my health and physical goals -- time to take a look at everything and set some goals.

So, currently I am 201 lbs. -- I estimate that my body fat (using calipers) is around 19.5%.  That puts my Lean Body Mass around 162 lbs.  Now, given the fact that I am weight training 3X a week (and within the next month expect to cut that back to 2X a week) -- do you have any suggestions on a good goal to set my sights on?  What is an attainable body fat percentage for an AGer who works full time?  Should I expect to gain muscle mass or probably stay where I am at?  What is a realistic rate to lose body fat? 

Just curious on your thoughts...

ken
2009-05-09 6:20 AM

User image

Veteran
Canton, Michigan

Good luck this weekend to those racing. Looks like I may be running in the rain here in MI today.

2009-05-09 8:52 AM
in reply to: #2139913

User image

Extreme Veteran
Boulder, CO
Ken in AZ - 2009-05-08 6:31 PM Goals question...

Hey Gordo -- was on the treadmill earlier (this time of year, if you don't get outside at the crack of dawn in AZ to run, it's too hot) and thinking about my goals.

I have actually been thinking about ALL of my goals lately, not just my health and physical goals -- time to take a look at everything and set some goals.

So, currently I am 201 lbs. -- I estimate that my body fat (using calipers) is around 19.5%.  That puts my Lean Body Mass around 162 lbs.  Now, given the fact that I am weight training 3X a week (and within the next month expect to cut that back to 2X a week) -- do you have any suggestions on a good goal to set my sights on?  What is an attainable body fat percentage for an AGer who works full time?  Should I expect to gain muscle mass or probably stay where I am at?  What is a realistic rate to lose body fat? 

Just curious on your thoughts...

ken

Much more important than weight/fat is the quality of what you eat as well as daily exercise.  As well, those are what's required to improve body composition.  So more than focusing on the goal, I would focus on what is required to achieve the goal.

As far as weight, it's just a number - if you eat well and exercise then you will be feeling better at every weight.

So for goals, I'd focus on one aspect of your nutrition and improve it -- with your training, I'd see how many days you can get a little exercise done.  These are things that you control directly.  Your body fat is indirect -- so, I prefer to get myself pointing at areas where I have direct control...

Wake up before 7am
1 hour per day exercise
Expense/income balance

...things like that.  I have experimented with indirect, challenging goals... catch Cameron Brown, win Ironman Canada, 8:29 at IM Canada... most the time, but not always, they didn't really work for me.  I do best with a process focus, rather than an outcome focus.

For you, consider the process, the daily actions, required to achieve the outcome you want.  Then focus on the process.

Also maintain perspective on how the goal fits in your larger life -- as well as writing down the actions required to achieve the goal (and placing where you see them).

Overall, keep it simple.  I can pull of, maybe, three things consistently.

2009-05-09 10:57 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Wahiawa, Hawaii.... but now in Florence, KY..
Took first in my division!  It's only because the water was real shallow....  I also learned that i don't do too well on the run when it's hot... man do i have alot of work to do.
2009-05-09 11:18 AM

User image

New user
Gordo, thanks.  You always seem to write what I need to hear!  I like that approach alot... I think Brad Kearns calls it "detaching from the outcome" in his book.  Focusing on the process will help keep me in the day.

Great that I know that I am on the right track, as well -- I have been really focusing on doing something every day.  Maybe it's weights and a run, or a long bike (just did 1:45 at 128 BPM and felt great), but something every day, with one day in there for just rest or a nice easy walk.

Thanks again -- have a great weekend G...

ken
2009-05-09 2:40 PM

User image

New user
Travel and Nutrition:  So, I travel once in a while for work -- next week it's off to the East Coast (Charlotte) for a quick turnaround. 

Gordo, what do you typically travel with for nutrition?  Nuts?  Looking for some good whole food suggestions from folks ... any bars that meet the criteria of "whole foods?"  I hate eating airplane snacks, but sometimes you get so hungry... would rather pack my own.
2009-05-09 5:35 PM
in reply to: #2140620

User image

Extreme Veteran
Boulder, CO

Gordo, what do you typically travel with for nutrition?  Nuts?  Looking for some good whole food suggestions from folks ... any bars that meet the criteria of "whole foods?"  I hate eating airplane snacks, but sometimes you get so hungry... would rather pack my own.

I eat the same thing as normal -- bring myself a large salad with lean protein.  I also eat a meal right before I leave on my trip (driving/flying) - typically that would be something like eggs and quinoa.

2009-05-09 8:18 PM
in reply to: #2140442

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
Boom808 - 2009-05-09 10:57 AM Took first in my division!  It's only because the water was real shallow....  I also learned that i don't do too well on the run when it's hot... man do i have alot of work to do.

Hey--you took first in your AG so celebrate, don't berate!  Who cares if the water was shallow? You did it.  Be happy! Congrats.

2009-05-09 10:31 PM
in reply to: #2139477

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southern California
GordoByrn - 2009-05-08 1:01 PM

Wild on Windsor.

They need to finalize that bike and run course so we can see what you are up against.  Good luck!
2009-05-09 10:36 PM
in reply to: #2140442

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southern California
Boom808 - 2009-05-09 8:57 AM

Took first in my division!

CONGRATS!!!  That is awesome.  Where is the race report???  Let's hear the details.
2009-05-09 10:37 PM
in reply to: #2139876

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southern California
BabsVa - 2009-05-08 5:07 PM

Matthew and me on Sunday

Sure you will not see this before the race, but wishing you good luck and a good time. 

2009-05-09 10:41 PM
in reply to: #2136125

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southern California

Know that nearly everyone around you will start too fast and let the other athletes make the mistakes.

Ummmmm, I was that guy.

When you guys have a chance, check out my race report, I had a less than stellar run, but had a great time finishing another triathlon. Cool
2009-05-10 10:43 AM
in reply to: #2141173

User image

Extreme Veteran
Boulder, CO
Example of Short Course Big Day Training

==

Those of you that read my site will see that I am a believer in long SBR training days to prepare for Half IM and IM distance racing.  Here's an example of a day that I built for one of my athletes that is preparing for a late summer Oly Distance race.  She has a Sprint Tri in four weeks (three weeks from the date of the session below).

==

Gordo Challenge, you're going to swim, bike and run -- all before 10am!
SWIM, 7AM
Do a short jog in the parking lot of the pool (no joke) -- get your body moving
Then -- do you favorite warm-up for a swim (let me know what you end up doing, this will be "your" pre-race warm up
Then... swim 1000 as...
100 easy, 100 steady, 100 mod-hard... then alternate steady/mod-hard by 100 until you finish the 1000
Hop out of the pool, get changed into your bike kit
BIKE, ~7:50AM
Choose a route in advance that will take you ~1 hour to complete
5 min easier then (3x) 12 min Steady / 3 min Mod-Hard
Then Steady/Easy to the end of the ride
RUN, ~9AM
5 min relaxed, focus on your cadence then
(2x) 3 min Steady, 3 min Fast, 3 min Steady, 1 min Power-Walk
5 min relaxed
ALL DONE 

2009-05-10 2:34 PM

Expert

Race report is up. We had perfect weather for the race, and I got to hang with that cutie Matthew mtntord ) and his Mrs and their adorable tot. Hope to meet some of y'all perhaps at a race sometime in the future. I think we both had good races and extra woot! woot! to Matthew for completing his first tri.

I am reminded about how fun racing is because it is such an in-the-moment experience - all the day to day stuff is just totally forgotten about for a while and it is quite refreshing. 

Afterwards hung with our local tri club people. For a small city we have an active triathlon club, with a generous spirit of introducing beginners to this sport. I am ever so grateful to these awesome folks. And some of our clubbies are seriously fast, with Charlottesville being well represented on the podium today.

OK time to get out the ice packs, and a nap sounds lovely.

2009-05-10 7:22 PM

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
First off, a big congratulations to the racers.  You both did great!

G-I have a question.  Talk to me about breathing while swimming.  How do you instruct new swimmers?
My swim coach watched me from underneath this week and suggested a change.  I was doing this steady blow out your nose and mouth thing and he had me switch to minimal/no breathing out my nose and waiting to blow out any air until right before I rotate to breathe.  While I cannot do it all the time yet, it does seem to help, but I don't know why.

Suzy
2009-05-11 8:16 AM
in reply to: #2141989

User image

Extreme Veteran
Boulder, CO
SSMinnow - 2009-05-10 6:22 PM First off, a big congratulations to the racers.  You both did great!

G-I have a question.  Talk to me about breathing while swimming.  How do you instruct new swimmers?
My swim coach watched me from underneath this week and suggested a change.  I was doing this steady blow out your nose and mouth thing and he had me switch to minimal/no breathing out my nose and waiting to blow out any air until right before I rotate to breathe.  While I cannot do it all the time yet, it does seem to help, but I don't know why.

Suzy

Suzy,

Well done in the water.

The breath instruction that your coach recommended is the same as what I would recommend.  Holding the air for a bit gives you more flotation and lets your body come "up" in the water.  A good habit to create.

2009-05-11 10:51 AM

User image

Veteran
Northern Virginia
Met BabsVA at the race this weekend. She did awesome BTW and even gave me some great cheers as she passed me on the run. I was way out of it at the time and could say nothing back. Had a lot of fun and my entire family loved the tri community.  Heart rate was way to high, but I did slow it down when I remembered on the bike and running. I really need to spend some more time working out. This semester was hard, but I should be able to find some more time this summer.

I raced in the Novice (first timers) catagory and came in 8th in that division. Below are my ranks out of the 342 men.  750m/18mi/5k

PlaceBib
SAgeNAME

RankSWIMRankT1RankBIKERankT2RankRUNTIME

M29MATTHEW

12900:12:333800:01:4922000:59:109000:01:0922400:27:16
1:41:56

So now that I have raced I just want to do better of course. I have another Sprint in August and an Oly in September.

Gordo, what would you suggest the most effective addition to my training schedule? Currently I have been getting in 4-5, 30-40 minute workouts in a week. Should I make sure that 1 is an hour or longer bike or bike/run or should I try and double up some of the days so I do 2 30 minute workouts on a couple of the days? Both, something else, or just add volume anyway possible? I have been focusing on getting out as often as possible in whatever sport makes that possible rather then using a training plan as my schedule has not allowed for too much consistency.

Finally a gear question.
My bike is an old steel touring/road bike. It seems awfully fast to me after a mountain bike. I have clipless pedals and shoes, regular helmet, touring tires and wheels. I'm not really the type to just buy something to feel faster, but from what I have been reading aerobars with a proper fitting would be the last reasonable accessory that would make a difference before I start looking into another bike and wheels that cost more then my car Laughing which just isn't going to happen. My average speed on this course was 18.25 MPH between the 10-15 MPH uphills and some 30 MPH downhills in the mix.  I know I need to train more as well. I'm just not sure at what point they will make a difference vs. just make me feel cooler?

Thanks for all your help. I would not have done as well without this group. (Not that its over yet I hope.)
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » GordoByrn's Group Full for the Spring Rss Feed  

of 27