BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Super Cats Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 58

2009-04-21 1:02 AM
in reply to: #2099017

User image

Champion
Sydney
Subject: RE: Super Cats Mentor Group - CLOSED

D001 - 2009-04-21 3:46 PM
madkat - 2009-04-20 11:58 PM I'm no running expert, but I spend several months a while back working on my "base training" and that really helped me clean up my form. For every run, my ONLY goal was to finish with an average HR 1 bpm lower than my previous run. That forced me to really work on eliminating excess movements.  No more side to side, no more over-pumping my arms, and, most importantly, it taught me to keep my feet close to the ground and close to each other. 

Once I got to where I felt like I had a good base built, I worked on throwing in some "strides" in the middle of each run, where I'd work at getting and keeping my cadence high for a couple of minutes. That helped me really shorten up my stride.
OK, so: - keep feet close to ground. (Cat said the same thing. She called it a shuffle.) - keep feet close to one another. (ie: no long strides.) - reduce other motion to a minimum. (I'm big on pumping the arms, and that probably encourages the long strides, too.) Heh, I just tried this around the house. (It's 1:45 AM. I am *not* going outside for a run. And I've come to the conclusion that the treadmill is very different than the road! So I did it in the living room.) The dog now thinks I'm crazy.

Dee - HUGE difference between the treadmill and the road.

Believe it or not EVERY running issue I have had has been caused running on the treadmill... not the road. I also have terrible natural biomechanics for running so I am a bit unusual...

Some people need the treadmill because of the less impact... while less impact on my joints would be great.. I actually have to avoid the treadmill for the most part because it messes up my natural running motion!

If yuo have reasonable biomechanics yuo can use either option - Im a bit unusual. And for a lot of people rehabbing injuries they often get the treadmill recommended to start out with so once again its individual and a bit of trial and error. 

All of this of course is my opinopns nad experiences and doesnt beat the advice of a medical expert - needs to be said!

2009-04-21 2:08 AM
in reply to: #2072951

User image

Veteran
Seattle
Holy Crap!  Doesn't look like you can take any time off from this group.  Looks like I'm going to have to check in more than once a day to keep up with all the action. 

Cruising through the postings before heading to bed looks like there is some pretty good stuff that I'll need to get caught up on, especially the bike related info since I also need to buy a bike this year.
2009-04-21 5:58 AM
in reply to: #2099040

User image

Champion
Sydney

d2lock - 2009-04-21 5:08 PM Holy Crap!  Doesn't look like you can take any time off from this group.  Looks like I'm going to have to check in more than once a day to keep up with all the action. 

Cruising through the postings before heading to bed looks like there is some pretty good stuff that I'll need to get caught up on, especially the bike related info since I also need to buy a bike this year.

oh another new bike! Yipee!!!

2009-04-21 7:05 AM

User image

Expert
Stafford, Ks

Simply having been a runner for a long time doesn't make me an expert! So please take my advice at face value, and realize what works for one may not work for another.  What is the famous saying "Opinions are like rear ends, everybody has one....and some peoples stink!!!!"

Dee a couple things I would think about.  First like Cat said I bet you definitely have the wrong shoes.  Running shoes are not like 7" high heel pumps.  You can't get a pair and wear them because they look good.  The only place I would ever go to buy shoes is a running store.  A little knowledge will do you wonders.  Once you have bought a couple of pairs it might be easier to see which shoe is best for you.  Doing a little research on a shoe also helps.  You can find articles on any type of shoe with just a little time on the CPU.  Second on the whole shortening your stride thing, try leaning forward just a little bit.  DO NOT lean enough that it is noticeable visually.  Just lean a bit to get over your toes.  This will naturally shorten you stride some.  The thing is you only need to do it a little bit because you can put strain on your lower back.  So if you can feel "the lean" in your back muscles you are leaning too much.  Focus on leaning just a tad but also focus on keeping you chest cavity open.  Sounds counter productive huh? You don't want to close the chest area because lung function is a major factor in running efficiently.  Also try to focus on landing on you toes.  This is something that you obviously won't want to do over the entire length of the run.  Just try to take a few steps at a time.  And slowly increase the amount of time you are landing on your toes.  You won't change your running form, this is just a drill to get you thinking forward.  There isn't a world class sprinter on the earth that heel strikes while running.  Now I know none of us are world class but why can't we emulate them? 

Hope that helps a little! Remember like I said don't try to do all the things at once.  Baby steps Dee baby steps!!!

As far as the whole dialing back thing goes, I just go totally on feel.  I have never had any major overuse injuries and I think the reason is that I'm not afraid to take a day off and let the body do it's thing.  I know my body well enough that if my quads are sore the morning after a decent run then I better take it easy.  This is a personal thing though.  I don't know if it affect all people.  I just know that quad pain when I have only been running can be a bad sign.  My quads don't usually get sore when I'm doing things right.  That is just me and don't take that as advice unless you know you body.  Now if I'm cycling a lot also that rule doesn't apply because I have fatigue from cycling.  That is just the way the machine works!!!!

Having taken a bunch of time off, not exercising, I'm going to get back into shape very slowly.  I have no major races planned until the middle of October so I don't need to rush things.  That being said I know some people don't have that kind of time to "take it easy" and regain fitness.  I suggest listening to your body and doing what it says.  If you think that running 3 miles a day, everyday works for you than go for it.  It doesn't work for me and I would lose motivation VERY quick.  I'm the kind of person that needs to see improvements over distance.  I think seven miles is the perfect training distance for myself.  Long enough that you can't get through it without exerting yourself.  If you find something that works then by all means keep it up!!

Hope that helps somebody.  If not, I apologize.  If there is something I can contribute to the group then feel free to ask.  I think I know a little but by no means do I know it all!!!!

2009-04-21 7:26 AM

User image

Champion
Sydney

^^^ THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!

You are awesome!

2009-04-21 7:30 AM

User image

Champion
Sydney

Oh Im going to add one tiny thing to the advice above... you dont actually want to end up running longterm on your tip toes - very bad for your calves and achilles (thats howI used to run ALL THE TIME)

But... focusing exactly as he says would be perfect for you.. in the end you will get your weight more forward though... mid foot is good!

2009-04-21 7:49 AM
in reply to: #2099155

User image

Veteran
State College, PA
El Flaco - 2009-04-21 8:05 AM

Simply having been a runner for a long time doesn't make me an expert!

Hey, Skinny!  (Isn't that what Flaco means?)  On the contrary, I think you sound very expert-like and your advice is right on the point.

First, I'm gonna big time x2 you on the running shoe store.  Dee, as always, you really DO want to take advantage of the experts and go to a true running store.  And I'm not talking Athlete's Foot, Dick's Sporting Goods or some mall store where they hire someone just because they know how to run a cash register.  You want to go to a store where the staff ARE runners, know what they are talking about and they ASK YOU to run down the street so they can observe your stride before recommending a shoe.

My wife had serious shin splints, ankle pain and blisters by rotating through different shoes for years trying to find the one that would work.  BTW - all those symptoms happened from treadmill running.  She never ran on the road.  So, she finally took my advice and went to our local store where the staff are all runners and have years of knowledge.  After looking at her current shoes and watching her run down an alley and back, the attendant ran his fingers on a couple parts of her leg and said, "I'm guessing it hurts here and here."  She was amazed that he knew exactly where her problem points were without even mentioning it to him.

He got her into a nice pair of Asics that were only a little more expensive than the ones we had been buying without the knowledge and she was pain-free!  About a week later, while on the treadmill, she called me in just to thank me for sending her to the store and to tell me she wished she has gone years earlier.

About the stride length, I had the privilege of sitting out on an 11 mile race last week, since I'm still nursing my sprained ankle.  I say privilege because, even though it was a small, informal race of about 40 people, we had some seriously skilled runners in the pack.  Several of them ran in the Boston Marathon yesterday with at least 3 of them posting under 3 hrs.

Well, I manned the water station at the top of the first grueling hill (3 mile point).  I got to see everyone coming up the hill and watch how they were running.  Then, after the last person passed me, I packed up the stuff and drove slowly past the entire field of runners from the last people who were just there "trying to finish," past the "pelaton" and all the way up to the leader who was a solid 1/2 mile past his nearest contender.

The one thing that was really obvious coming up through the pack was the increase in people's turnover.  The closer I got to the people in the front, the more often their feet were hitting the ground.  By the time I caught up with Bob, the leader, I was just amazed at how fast his legs were going.

I talked with him later about this and he said that it's one of the fundamentals of energy conservation and muscle efficiency.  Shorter strides and higher "turnover" are better for long-distance running.  To me, it FEELS counter-intuitive, because I have long legs and feel like I need to take advantage of that "benefit" by stretching out my stride to take fewer steps. But, my intuition is misleading.

To help shorten my stride, I have taken to adding in some very long, SLOW, runs where I have to truly FORCE myself to run slower and with shorter strides.  I wear a heartrate monitor and keep my HR in zone 1-2 the whole time.  That's where you feel so relaxed that you could hold a comfortable conversation if you wanted to.  It's actually difficult to run that slowly sometimes because you feel like you're not getting a workout and you feel a little guilty.  However, these runs benefit you tremendously by helping you develop your form AND it just happens to be the heartrate that best helps your body burn fat!  You would think that fast running with lots of sweat would burn more fat, but it's actually the opposite.

Anyway, long answer to a short question.  Summary - good shoes are priority numero uno and long, slow, comfortable weekly or bi-weekly runs  to help your stride, increase your endurance and burn fat.

2009-04-21 7:57 AM

User image

Veteran
State College, PA
Subject: I'm going to finally start wroking out again today!
After taking over two weeks off to nurse my sprained ankle, I finally feel like I can get back to working out again.  I'm going to start with a lunchtime swim.  If that goes well, I'm thinking about trying a shorter run (maybe 2-3 miles) tomorrow on flat ground.

For the run, I will definitely wrap my ankle, but I have been reading that some people actually suggest wearing a brace.  Is that true?  Can you actually run with an ankle brace on?  The doctor gave me one that actually fits inside my sneaker, but I wasn't thinking about running with it until I read these accounts online.

Has anyone ever tried it?  I feel like it's overkill, but then I don't want to be stupid and reinjure myself, either.  Any other advice?

Thanks everyone!
2009-04-21 8:10 AM

User image

Veteran
State College, PA
Subject: My wife and triathlon training
I'm sorry to say that my wife just doesn't think that training for a triathlon is a realistic goal for her.  I have tried to tell her that lots of people are in the same boat as her and she doesn't have to train to WIN one, just setting a goal of finishing a sprint, maybe by the Fall or even next Spring, would be enough.  But, she's really not feeling it.  She hasn't ever swum for exercise, hasn't ridden a bike in over a decade and hates running, so I understand.

Instead of risking our marital stability and trying to sell her on the idea, I decided to back off and told her that I will support her no matter what exercise plan she decides to follow.

So... my little hidden "master plan" is to slowly encourage her like I did last year.  We added in some walks together that slowly built to include some short jog sessions, etc etc until she decided to train for her own 5K, which she completed last fall.  She was really proud and I was really proud OF her.  So, I'm going to try that again.  Plus, maybe a little later in the Spring, I will buy her a bike so we can get some time away from the kids and go for a couple of rides together.  I will leave the swimming for much later, since I think that will be the most difficult for her to get into.

SO, thank you Cat for your kind offer of allowing her to join the group and thanks everyone else for offering to support her along the way.  I KNOW that it would be a great benefit to her.  Maybe the group will still be around in some form if she slowly decides that she is ready later on.

Thanks again!

Edited by JoeBWan 2009-04-21 8:15 AM
2009-04-21 8:42 AM
in reply to: #2099155

User image

Champion
Taser-World
Yay! I gave in to the Sleep Fairy, and finally went to sleep....

And by time I woke up got online, TONS OF FANTASTIC ADVICE has magically appeared under my pillow on our Mentor Thread!

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!!!!

I'm going to print everything out, so I can read memorize it.

Yay! This mentor team rocks!

2009-04-21 9:05 AM
in reply to: #2099252

User image

Expert
Douglaston, NY
JoeBWan - 2009-04-21 8:49 AM

Hey, Skinny!  (Isn't that what Flaco means?)  On the contrary, I think you sound very expert-like and your advice is right on the point.

First, I'm gonna big time x2 you on the running shoe store.  Dee, as always, you really DO want to take advantage of the experts and go to a true running store.  And I'm not talking Athlete's Foot, Dick's Sporting Goods or some mall store where they hire someone just because they know how to run a cash register.  You want to go to a store where the staff ARE runners, know what they are talking about and they ASK YOU to run down the street so they can observe your stride before recommending a shoe.

My wife had serious shin splints, ankle pain and blisters by rotating through different shoes for years trying to find the one that would work.  BTW - all those symptoms happened from treadmill running.  She never ran on the road.  So, she finally took my advice and went to our local store where the staff are all runners and have years of knowledge.  After looking at her current shoes and watching her run down an alley and back, the attendant ran his fingers on a couple parts of her leg and said, "I'm guessing it hurts here and here."  She was amazed that he knew exactly where her problem points were without even mentioning it to him.

He got her into a nice pair of Asics that were only a little more expensive than the ones we had been buying without the knowledge and she was pain-free!  About a week later, while on the treadmill, she called me in just to thank me for sending her to the store and to tell me she wished she has gone years earlier.

About the stride length, I had the privilege of sitting out on an 11 mile race last week, since I'm still nursing my sprained ankle.  I say privilege because, even though it was a small, informal race of about 40 people, we had some seriously skilled runners in the pack.  Several of them ran in the Boston Marathon yesterday with at least 3 of them posting under 3 hrs.

Well, I manned the water station at the top of the first grueling hill (3 mile point).  I got to see everyone coming up the hill and watch how they were running.  Then, after the last person passed me, I packed up the stuff and drove slowly past the entire field of runners from the last people who were just there "trying to finish," past the "pelaton" and all the way up to the leader who was a solid 1/2 mile past his nearest contender.

The one thing that was really obvious coming up through the pack was the increase in people's turnover.  The closer I got to the people in the front, the more often their feet were hitting the ground.  By the time I caught up with Bob, the leader, I was just amazed at how fast his legs were going.

I talked with him later about this and he said that it's one of the fundamentals of energy conservation and muscle efficiency.  Shorter strides and higher "turnover" are better for long-distance running.  To me, it FEELS counter-intuitive, because I have long legs and feel like I need to take advantage of that "benefit" by stretching out my stride to take fewer steps. But, my intuition is misleading.

To help shorten my stride, I have taken to adding in some very long, SLOW, runs where I have to truly FORCE myself to run slower and with shorter strides.  I wear a heartrate monitor and keep my HR in zone 1-2 the whole time.  That's where you feel so relaxed that you could hold a comfortable conversation if you wanted to.  It's actually difficult to run that slowly sometimes because you feel like you're not getting a workout and you feel a little guilty.  However, these runs benefit you tremendously by helping you develop your form AND it just happens to be the heartrate that best helps your body burn fat!  You would think that fast running with lots of sweat would burn more fat, but it's actually the opposite.

Anyway, long answer to a short question.  Summary - good shoes are priority numero uno and long, slow, comfortable weekly or bi-weekly runs  to help your stride, increase your endurance and burn fat.

Thanks so much for posting this - this post was great!  I actually read something very much like this in an article likening running to bike riding, in terms of foot cadence and speed going together.  It's what I try to keep in mind when I run now because I was a HUGE strider when I started (I used to hit on my heel so hard, I would skid the treadmill belt forward for a brief second and then have it whip back on me).  I still have a tendency to do it when I walk but even that is shortening up a bit.  Keep at it Dee, it only took me a few weeks for the shorter strides to start feeling more normal. 

2009-04-21 9:22 AM
in reply to: #2099252

User image

Pro
Norwalk, Connecticut
JoeBWan - 2009-04-21 8:49 AM

great post!!!!  Shortening my stride is exactly what i am working on right now, i would get common shin pain, not as bad as splints but pain none the less. I have worked on shortening my stride and increasing cadence and have seen immediate benefits. My problem is i tend to try to improve too fast and end up with muscle issues, strains and such, so i need to dial it back and take the slow learning route!!!

Keep up the great posts, this is turning into a phenomenal mentor group!!!!

2009-04-21 9:23 AM
in reply to: #2099387

User image

Pro
Norwalk, Connecticut
D001 - 2009-04-21 9:42 AM Yay! I gave in to the Sleep Fairy, and finally went to sleep.... And by time I woke up got online, TONS OF FANTASTIC ADVICE has magically appeared under my pillow on our Mentor Thread! THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!!!! I'm going to print everything out, so I can read memorize it. Yay! This mentor team rocks!

YAY!!!! for my little Deedee sleeping!!!!

Dee go to a running specific store ASAP!!!!!  I did and it was the best $$$$$ i ever spent on a piar of shoes that actually work!!

2009-04-21 10:33 AM

User image

Wilmington, NC
Hi All!

I'm sorry for my lack of participation this weekend on the group message board!  I try not to spend too much time on my computer over the weekends since I sit in front of one for 8 hours a days Monday through Friday!  I definitely have a LOT of catching up to do!  I had a good run on Saturday, but missed my scheduled 5 mile bike ride on Sunday.  I slept in too late and than had a busy day with friends planned and an evening out with my boyfriend at a film festival he participated in.  Monday was an "off" day.  Today I'm scheduled to do a 200 meter swim and a 15 minute run.  I might do my 5 mile bike from Sunday instead of the swim because I can swim 200 meters in my sleep and feel like I need more practice on the bike...so after work I'll do a 5 mile bike ride and follow it with a 15 min run...how does that sound?  Is it ok to "make-up" workouts be either doing them on your scheduled "off" days or by doing the sport you missed in place of a sport you don't need as much work at?  Does that make sense?  I'm probably not wording it very clearly.

Well it's great to see everyone has been busy writing and giving advice...I can't wait to read everything!
2009-04-21 4:21 PM

I had a good workout today. None or very little pain or swelling in my knee. Im hoping that it was just a fluke before and I can start getting into hardcore soon. Maybe after graduation in 1.5 weeks.
2009-04-21 4:53 PM
in reply to: #2099755

User image

Champion
Sydney

peach5757 - 2009-04-22 1:33 AM Hi All!

I'm sorry for my lack of participation this weekend on the group message board!  I try not to spend too much time on my computer over the weekends since I sit in front of one for 8 hours a days Monday through Friday!  I definitely have a LOT of catching up to do!  I had a good run on Saturday, but missed my scheduled 5 mile bike ride on Sunday.  I slept in too late and than had a busy day with friends planned and an evening out with my boyfriend at a film festival he participated in.  Monday was an "off" day.  Today I'm scheduled to do a 200 meter swim and a 15 minute run.  I might do my 5 mile bike from Sunday instead of the swim because I can swim 200 meters in my sleep and feel like I need more practice on the bike...so after work I'll do a 5 mile bike ride and follow it with a 15 min run...how does that sound?  Is it ok to "make-up" workouts be either doing them on your scheduled "off" days or by doing the sport you missed in place of a sport you don't need as much work at?  Does that make sense?  I'm probably not wording it very clearly.

Well it's great to see everyone has been busy writing and giving advice...I can't wait to read everything!

Jess - that logiciaabsolutely purrfect!!!

While I generally say if you missed a workout you missed it and to move on... the second part to that is to try and miss workouts in your strengths and not your weaknesss.

In your case dropping a swim in favour of the bike ride is purrfect! Go for it!

2009-04-21 4:55 PM
in reply to: #2100956

User image

Champion
Sydney

patchadams - 2009-04-22 7:21 AM I had a good workout today. None or very little pain or swelling in my knee. Im hoping that it was just a fluke before and I can start getting into hardcore soon. Maybe after graduation in 1.5 weeks.

Thats awesome news about your knee!!!

Keep an eye on it and if it does get aggravated look at what sport is giving it the most troble... that way you can always avoidthe single sport for a week or so to allow it to recover and then ease backinto it.

Knees are NOT a body part you want long term issues with if at all possible

2009-04-21 5:53 PM

User image

Veteran
State College, PA

RudeDog - just read your blog for today.

Running to you is swimming to me.  I HATED swimming and could only swim for about 50 yards before I would have to take a 30-45sec breather.  I'm not kidding you.  That lasted for about nine months.  Then someone told me to stop messing around and hit the pool consistently 3 times per week and I would get it in a month.  They also told me to stop counting laps and just focus on the basics.  TrueDAT.  It actually worked.  As much as I hated being in the pool and felt like everyone was watching me dying, I did it religiously 3 times per week.  Then something just clicked and swimming became easier.  I now am up to a mile and a half.

Maybe running can be the same for you.  Just be consistent.  3 times per week.  Same days and times.  Run for time, not distance.  Don't worry about your heartrate or any of that and just listen to your tunes.  Maybe something will click for you, too.

2009-04-21 5:54 PM
in reply to: #2099293

User image

Champion
Sydney
Subject: RE: My wife and triathlon training

JoeBWan - 2009-04-21 11:10 PM I'm sorry to say that my wife just doesn't think that training for a triathlon is a realistic goal for her.  I have tried to tell her that lots of people are in the same boat as her and she doesn't have to train to WIN one, just setting a goal of finishing a sprint, maybe by the Fall or even next Spring, would be enough.  But, she's really not feeling it.  She hasn't ever swum for exercise, hasn't ridden a bike in over a decade and hates running, so I understand.

Instead of risking our marital stability and trying to sell her on the idea, I decided to back off and told her that I will support her no matter what exercise plan she decides to follow.

So... my little hidden "master plan" is to slowly encourage her like I did last year.  We added in some walks together that slowly built to include some short jog sessions, etc etc until she decided to train for her own 5K, which she completed last fall.  She was really proud and I was really proud OF her.  So, I'm going to try that again.  Plus, maybe a little later in the Spring, I will buy her a bike so we can get some time away from the kids and go for a couple of rides together.  I will leave the swimming for much later, since I think that will be the most difficult for her to get into.

SO, thank you Cat for your kind offer of allowing her to join the group and thanks everyone else for offering to support her along the way.  I KNOW that it would be a great benefit to her.  Maybe the group will still be around in some form if she slowly decides that she is ready later on.

Thanks again!

Its no problem and I hope it all works out for her. She is more than welcome to come ask questions - I certainly didnt start exercising for triathlons... I just ended up there!!!

With summer coming there might be lots of 5ks around and just the goal of finishing some more or even something slightly longer might be enough for her! Given how she currently feels about the three sports i can understand where she is coming from!!!

Take her shopping for that bike! (just dont underestimate the importance of comfort and colour for her) and just keep being active! Living a healthy lifestyle will just become second nature and she may find this sport... or another.. offers her something to enjoy!!!

What you are doing is fabulous! And i wish you both the best with it all!

If she does decide to join BT - even if its just for using the training logs as sooo many people just do that and dont race - she is more than welcome to ask questions any time! About anything - doesnt have to be specifically traithlon related.. could just be exercise or nutrition etc in general!

2009-04-21 5:56 PM
in reply to: #2101136

User image

Champion
Sydney

JoeBWan - 2009-04-22 8:53 AM

Running to you is swimming to me.  I HATED swimming and could only swim for about 50 yards before I would have to take a 30-45sec breather.  I'm not kidding you.  That lasted for about nine months.  Then someone told me to stop messing around and hit the pool consistently 3 times per week and I would get it in a month.  They also told me to stop counting laps and just focus on the basics.  TrueDAT.  It actually worked.  As much as I hated being in the pool and felt like everyone was watching me dying, I did it religiously 3 times per week.  Then something just clicked and swimming became easier.  I now am up to a mile and a half.

Maybe running can be the same for you.  Just be consistent.  3 times per week.  Same days and times.  Run for time, not distance.  Don't worry about your heartrate or any of that and just listen to your tunes.  Maybe something will click for you, too.

^^^ That is EXACTLY the advice Ive been given a million times for running and am *trying* to follow right now.

Run 3 times a week, time not distance... Id be listening to tunes but my ipod is broken!!!

2009-04-21 8:00 PM
in reply to: #2101136

User image

Champion
Taser-World
JoeBWan - 2009-04-21 6:53 PM

Eh, it's not just Rudy.... I need to get out there and wog more consistently. (Although I'm still doing more walking than jogging, so I guess it's walg. LOL)

Today, I concentrated on taking slowing things down (which means it became "snail walking," taking baby-sized steps, not overstriding, and not smacking down onto the heel.

2009-04-21 8:25 PM
in reply to: #2101385

User image

Champion
Sydney

D001 - 2009-04-22 11:00 AM
JoeBWan - 2009-04-21 6:53 PM

Eh, it's not just Rudy.... I need to get out there and wog more consistently. (Although I'm still doing more walking than jogging, so I guess it's walg. LOL) Today, I concentrated on taking slowing things down (which means it became "snail walking," taking baby-sized steps, not overstriding, and not smacking down onto the heel.

You should see my 'running' its a slow stumble or a walk...

2009-04-21 8:31 PM

User image

Champion
Sydney

Hiya - just another thing on the running thing.

There is a discussion on right now in Tri Talk about heel striking here: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=155602&posts=17&start=1

Obviously there is always a lot of discussion on the forums and people have differing opinions but I always suggest reading with a bit of your personal filter and deciding what makes sense to you.

2009-04-21 8:36 PM

User image

Master
Metro NY Area
I joined my local Y today so I could swim. My first lap swim in about 11 years. My theory that I could always jump in a pool and swim 20 laps remains true. I guess swimming is easy for me, I'm pretty floaty. Running on the other hand is harder for me now but I'm working on it though I am afraid of injuries with running and am currently doing most of it on my elliptical.
2009-04-21 8:48 PM
in reply to: #2101465

User image

Champion
Sydney

losta - 2009-04-22 11:36 AM I joined my local Y today so I could swim. My first lap swim in about 11 years. My theory that I could always jump in a pool and swim 20 laps remains true. I guess swimming is easy for me, I'm pretty floaty. Running on the other hand is harder for me now but I'm working on it though I am afraid of injuries with running and am currently doing most of it on my elliptical.

Way to go on the swim - Im kind of like that too!!! The thing is if you keep it up you will be surprised at the improvements you see (plus its awesome recovery from the other workouts!)

Do you have any existing injuries that might be a problem running? The elliptical is great for general fitness and mainitaining it but unfortunatley will not really help your body adjust to the pressures of running - walking is actually probably a better option!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Super Cats Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 58