BT Development Mentor Program Archives » jesse_d Mentor Group - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 14

2009-06-10 8:28 AM
in reply to: #2206550

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: jesse_d Mentor Group - Closed
njacobs24 - 2009-06-09 8:53 PM I just did some running intervals for the first time and it was awesome!  Don't get me wrong, it sucked and I was super tired by the end, but in a really good, satisfying way.  I wasn't quite sure how many to do or for how long (or just how hard I should be running), so I did three for two minutes.  Is that a good place to start?  When I got home, we didn't have any chocolate milk, so I had some cottage cheese instead.  This is Wisconsin, after all.  Tongue out

--
Nikki

Nikki - that is a perfect start.  I actually wouldn't do any more than that for the first few weeks.  3 @ 2 min pretty hard.  Really try to go as hard as you can while keeping good form (Quick feet - relaxed body).  If you are starting to flail all over the place you are going to fast.   Also - don't do this more than once a week to start.

Then you can start doing variation in the number of intervals - the time of each interval - the effort level, etc. 

Jesse 

2009-06-10 8:33 AM
in reply to: #2113192

User image

Regular
I have been having some great workouts lately.  I have been increasingly my intensity.

Swimming
Warm up 200.  Concentrated on form.
2 @ 100
1 @ 200
1 @ 100
2 @ 200
Fins work
1@100 Legs (dolphin kick)
1@100 fast
1@100 Legs (On back kicking hard)
1@100 fast
1@100 Legs (On back kicking hard)
1@100 fast
Then some one arm sets - focusing on form.
1@100 cool down  - focus on form.

I am pretty right arm dominant.  Whenever I get to a certain speed I always breathe to my right and I pull harder with my right.  The last couple of sessions I really noticed that my right arm would start to get a little sore from the workout but not my left.  So, I am going to focus on trying to balance that out a bit more - today I tried to focus on improving my catch with my left arm.

Bike - total 50 mins.
4@5 min intervals (Fast as I could do them).

Protein. 

Jesse 
2009-06-10 10:54 AM

New user

Montreal
Morning everyone,

Nikki-Thanks for forwarding the information, she has some really great tips!!

Jesse- That’s an intense swim workout. I’m registering for a stroke improvement class this evening that will start at the end of June. Until then I’ll keep watching the videos. I really need the help with my stroke and form. Plus I find that I’m struggling with getting comfortable with my breathing, my rhythm seems off.

The running is coming along, the legs feel heavy for the first 15 minutes and then I seem to find my running legs.

Still working hard with the bike intervals to get my legs stronger and ready for those scare me to death hills!!

Happy training everyone!!

Cheryl
2009-06-10 12:47 PM
in reply to: #2207608

User image

Regular
cher - 2009-06-10 10:54 AM Morning everyone, Nikki-Thanks for forwarding the information, she has some really great tips!! Jesse- That’s an intense swim workout. I’m registering for a stroke improvement class this evening that will start at the end of June. Until then I’ll keep watching the videos. I really need the help with my stroke and form. Plus I find that I’m struggling with getting comfortable with my breathing, my rhythm seems off. The running is coming along, the legs feel heavy for the first 15 minutes and then I seem to find my running legs. Still working hard with the bike intervals to get my legs stronger and ready for those scare me to death hills!! Happy training everyone!! Cheryl

Cher,  You may not feel comfortable or are unsure about how to do it but if you have a digital camera please take some video please send me one - I'm more than happy to give you whatever advice I can.  I have never had anyone film me personally but what I usually do is put it on the bench next to the pool.  But, you could use a tripod or whatever.   It is something to see yourself swim.  You think you are doing one thing and find out you are doing something completely different Laughing  Usually there are only a few inhibitors to someone getting better.  

I'm actually going to film myself next time I get in the pool - it has been a while.  

Jesse 
2009-06-11 8:13 AM

User image

Regular
Tough running today.  I ran like around 11 but the last few were hard.  I just felt a little sluggish today and the humidity is definitely up.   I think the hard training on the bike this week has my legs in need of a little rest.  

Jumped on the bike for a quick 4 - 5 mile spin.  Just to keep the legs loose.

Friday - not sure what I am going to do.  I have a run / TT bike planned.  We'll see how my legs feel.  I have to get bloodwork done tomorrow which means I can't start my workout until later and it is going to be well into the 90's tomorrow - ick.  

Sat - OFF

Sunday - Charity Ride - 60 miles.

Jesse
2009-06-11 9:01 AM

User image

Regular
Boston
Hello everyone:

Nikki - thanks for posting those tips! Some good info.
Last March, I attended a triathlon expo at MIT where I took a workshop for first time triathletes put on by Tri-Hard. Here is a link to the seminar notes. There is also some info on the Nutrition workshop. http://www.tri-hard.com/seminars.htm

Jesse: I had a pretty good week of training with running, biking, strength training over the past 3 days. Today may be a spin day - depending how work goes today (otherwise it will be a day off). I have a lot going on this weekend (we're throwing my dad a 60th bday party). Tomorrow - I am trying to fit in a 3-4 mile run (I got new sneakers and want to try them out). Unfortunately it will be a short run, as a I have the day off to wait around for contractors for our kitchen. Sat - will have  to be a day off. Sunday - 6K race. Won't be able to get a swim in, but will be going to the OWS clinic on Tuesday.

Hope everyone has a good weekend and train hard!
Michelle

2009-06-11 10:35 AM
in reply to: #2209855

User image

Regular
mstone11 - 2009-06-11 9:01 AM Hello everyone:

Nikki - thanks for posting those tips! Some good info.
Last March, I attended a triathlon expo at MIT where I took a workshop for first time triathletes put on by Tri-Hard. Here is a link to the seminar notes. There is also some info on the Nutrition workshop. http://www.tri-hard.com/seminars.htm

Jesse: I had a pretty good week of training with running, biking, strength training over the past 3 days. Today may be a spin day - depending how work goes today (otherwise it will be a day off). I have a lot going on this weekend (we're throwing my dad a 60th bday party). Tomorrow - I am trying to fit in a 3-4 mile run (I got new sneakers and want to try them out). Unfortunately it will be a short run, as a I have the day off to wait around for contractors for our kitchen. Sat - will have  to be a day off. Sunday - 6K race. Won't be able to get a swim in, but will be going to the OWS clinic on Tuesday.

Hope everyone has a good weekend and train hard!
Michelle

Michelle,

Good luck in the race - go hard!!!  That can be your threshold run for the week Laughing

Jesse 
2009-06-11 10:36 AM

User image

Regular
Anyone watched Obsessed?  I haven't been catching it on TV although I have it DVR'ed now so I don't miss it:

You can catch full episodes here.

http://www.aetv.com/obsessed/video/index.jsp?bcpid=21711659001&bclid=25618113001&bctid=25715625001 

At least I am not as obsessed as this guy.

Jesse 
2009-06-11 2:04 PM
in reply to: #2210288

User image

Regular
Boston

I've never watched it. Is this one of your inspirational videos??? Laughing That guy needs a REAL job - going to the gym 15 times a day - sounds like he does more time driving from gym to gym than anything! I feel more focused already.

BTW - made it to spin class - one more workout tomorrow and I am due for a day off.

2009-06-11 2:43 PM
in reply to: #2211154

User image

Regular
mstone11 - 2009-06-11 2:04 PM

I've never watched it. Is this one of your inspirational videos??? Laughing That guy needs a REAL job - going to the gym 15 times a day - sounds like he does more time driving from gym to gym than anything! I feel more focused already.

BTW - made it to spin class - one more workout tomorrow and I am due for a day off.

That guy inspires me never to take drugs again.  Foot in mouth  Laughing

I really need to do a spin class!   
2009-06-12 7:27 AM

Boston
Jesse,
I love that idea - I actually started training like that, but got worried that I won't meet the miles. At this point, I just need something to get me back into it.

Yesterday I went for a run, planning a semi short trail run. I ended up getting lost in my new surroundings are ran over 4 miles. Still don't have a watch, so I have no idea how long I spent on that run, as I went for a long warm-up run.
I'm planning on doing a Brick today - it may be inside due to rain. This weekend I have 1 swim planned, then we will see what Sunday brings...

Good luck to everyone racing/eventing this weekend!!
-Christina

2009-06-12 5:08 PM

User image

New user
Madison, WI
I was all excited about the progress I've made and then I got sick with a cough virus thing.  I actually didn't go to work yesterday (first time I've called in sick to a job, ever) and the doctor told me to rest for a few days.  Since I didn't have anything else to do, I went down to the bookstore and bought a few books on triathlons.  And I've been watching movies that inspire me.  Today I kind of didn't listen to the doctor and rode my bike to work and had a pretty hard time breathing.  Yikes!  Oh well.  I don't think it will be too much of a setback.

--
Nikki
2009-06-15 8:37 AM

User image

Regular
I hope every body had a good weekend!  I had a good mix of family, friends and biking.

2009-06-15 9:26 AM

User image

Regular
Boston
Hi All,

Hope everyone had a nice weekend!

I did a 6K yesterday for the Worcester Firefighters memorial. I did well - considering all my pre-race activities. We had a huge BBQ the day/night before for my dad. My race time was good - 30.47 (official) - it was a little less than that. The chute at the end was backed up and it took a bit to cross the line. I definitely need to work on nutrition pre-race time. And I am pretty soar today.

3.75miles (approx)

time: 30.47
pace: 8.17
placed: 432 overall (approx 1174 runners)
AG placed: 40

Jesse - How was the charity ride?
2009-06-15 9:37 AM
in reply to: #2217950

User image

Regular
mstone11 - 2009-06-15 9:26 AM Hi All,

Hope everyone had a nice weekend!

I did a 6K yesterday for the Worcester Firefighters memorial. I did well - considering all my pre-race activities. We had a huge BBQ the day/night before for my dad. My race time was good - 30.47 (official) - it was a little less than that. The chute at the end was backed up and it took a bit to cross the line. I definitely need to work on nutrition pre-race time. And I am pretty soar today.

3.75miles (approx)

time: 30.47
pace: 8.17
placed: 432 overall (approx 1174 runners)
AG placed: 40

Jesse - How was the charity ride?

Michelle,

Great job!  8 min miles for almost 4 miles is good.  AND the fact that you are sore is a great!
That is probably a good pace for your tempo runs - maybe even a tad faster.   I am smelling a 10k next!

The charity ride went well.  I did the metric century which is somewhere in the 62 - 64 miles range I think.  It was basically me and another rider that pulled for a majority of our pack so I am feeling it today - but it was a good ride.  It was for a local bike rider that was paralyzed just going to work one day.  He hit the curb and just hit the ground the wrong way and his life changed in an instant.  I hear these stories all the time with biking.  Scary!   That is why I cringe when I see someone biking without a helmet!  Where your helmets peeps!

Jesse 
2009-06-16 8:46 AM

User image

Regular
I found a local tri/swimming instructor.  Going to meet with him about swim lessons next week.  I think it will be good to find someone local that I can go to periodically to get some tweaks.

I am getting faster ever so slowly.  My first couple of 100's last week were 1:18 and 1:19.  Then I settled at just a tad slower than that for the remainer of my intervals.   I would really like to get that to 1:10 or so.

Jesse

Edited by jesse_d 2009-06-16 2:09 PM

2009-06-16 2:30 PM

New user

Montreal
Afternoon everyone,

Jesse-That’s great news about the swimming instructor, I’m waiting to hear back from one too, I desperately need help with my swimming. I still want to video tape my workout for you but haven’t had anyone to tape it for me, hope to get that tape to you soon.

I have a question for you, during my run Sunday morning at about mile three I got a terrible pain on my right side below my rib cage that spread to my hip, I’ve never felt anything like it. I’ve had cramps and stitches but nothing like this. I had to stop bend over to catch my breath and just hold my side? After about 5 minutes it slowly got better but it was sore, I was able to run slowly(holding my side) for the next mile and just headed home because I wasn’t sure what I was dealing with?

Have you ever experienced anything like this? I’ve been racking my brain trying to figure out what caused it? I thought I was properly hydrated; maybe I drank too much water? Could it be a salt issue? Nutrition issue?

Any feedback would be a great help

Cheryl
2009-06-16 3:20 PM
in reply to: #2222033

User image

Regular
cher - 2009-06-16 2:30 PM Afternoon everyone, Jesse-That’s great news about the swimming instructor, I’m waiting to hear back from one too, I desperately need help with my swimming. I still want to video tape my workout for you but haven’t had anyone to tape it for me, hope to get that tape to you soon. I have a question for you, during my run Sunday morning at about mile three I got a terrible pain on my right side below my rib cage that spread to my hip, I’ve never felt anything like it. I’ve had cramps and stitches but nothing like this. I had to stop bend over to catch my breath and just hold my side? After about 5 minutes it slowly got better but it was sore, I was able to run slowly(holding my side) for the next mile and just headed home because I wasn’t sure what I was dealing with? Have you ever experienced anything like this? I’ve been racking my brain trying to figure out what caused it? I thought I was properly hydrated; maybe I drank too much water? Could it be a salt issue? Nutrition issue? Any feedback would be a great help Cheryl

Hmmm... I haven't experienced anything to the degree it sounds like you went through.  I have had a stitch that was around my ribcage that caused me to stop for a few minutes and then proceed slowly until it went away.  But, never anything that remained sore or that worried me in any serious way. 

It really doesn't sound like a hydration or salt issue.  And because you were only 3 miles into a workout it probably wasn't a hydration issue (although I really don't know)

I really don't know on that one.  Have you tried to find similar experienced by doing some google searches?    Did you do/eat anything differently?

Here is something I found:  Stitch related

"Definition: 
A sharp pain usually felt just below the rib cage (though sometimes farther up the torso), caused by a cramp in the diaphragm, gas in the intestines or food in the stomach. Stitches normally come on during hard workouts or races. 

Remedies: 
If you get a stitch on your right side (which is more common), 
slow down for 30 seconds or so and exhale forcefully each time your left foot hits the ground. If the stitch is on the left, exhale hard when your right foot lands. Continue until pain recedes. If this doesn't help, try slow, deep "belly breathing" (your abdomen should go in and out with each breath). Or run with your hands on top of your head and your elbows back while you breathe deeply from your belly. 

Another remedy is to take your fist and dig it under your ribcage, push the fist in with your other arm and bend your torso over almost to 90 degrees. Run like this for 10 steps. This stretches the diaphragm, and most stitches are caused by a spasm of the diaphragm. If none of these techniques work, stop and walk until the pain subsides. 

And here's a no-brainer: to prevent stitches caused by food in the stomach, don't eat before you run."

Jesse
2009-06-16 3:22 PM

User image

Regular

This is interesting too - I could see if you had a severe stitch with the ligament issue below that maybe it caused your pain:

"There's actually a very scientific explanation for the side stitch.Researchers believe it's caused when the ligament that attaches your liver to your diaphragm becomes overstretched. Breathing in and out heavily combined with the jarring motions of running can cause this pain, and actually those who exhale when their right foot hits the ground are more prone to side stitches. That's because when the right foot hits the ground, it pulls the liver down and the exhale is simultaneously forcing the diaphragm up, so the ligament gets overstretched, and you're left with that sharp, nagging pain.

To prevent the dreaded side stitch, you can try concentrating on exhaling as your left foot hits the ground, but that may not feel natural to you. So focus on taking deep, even breaths as you run. When you exhale fully, the diaphragm can lower completely, which allows the ligament to relax. Also avoid eating one to two hours before a run, but make sure you've had water since dehydration can lead to muscle cramps.

If you're suffering from a side stitch in the middle of a run, slow down your pace and see if that helps. If not, stop completely and press your hand into the right side of your body and push up. This will lift your liver slightly and bring it closer to your diaphragm, so it's not overstretched. Once the pain goes away, feel free to jump back on the running wagon."

2009-06-16 3:56 PM

User image

New user
Madison, WI
Michelle, nice job at the race! 

OK, so one of the books I was reading had a drill where you run barefoot in the grass to learn how to run naturally and then try to incorporate that into your stride.  Then I started reading Born to Run and it talks about this whole barefoot running movement and how running shoes are actually bad for running, and it's really fascinating.  Some people seem like a bunch of paranoid hippies that think the man's out to get us, but others have some really good arguments.  The problem is that now I'm getting freaked out about running with my Nikes, even though I've never been injured.  I don't think I'd have time to get used to running barefoot before September, but this is all I can think about now.

Have any of you ever heard anything about this?  It's really, really interesting.

--
Nikki
2009-06-17 8:56 AM
in reply to: #2222280

User image

Regular
njacobs24 - 2009-06-16 3:56 PM Michelle, nice job at the race! 

OK, so one of the books I was reading had a drill where you run barefoot in the grass to learn how to run naturally and then try to incorporate that into your stride.  Then I started reading Born to Run and it talks about this whole barefoot running movement and how running shoes are actually bad for running, and it's really fascinating.  Some people seem like a bunch of paranoid hippies that think the man's out to get us, but others have some really good arguments.  The problem is that now I'm getting freaked out about running with my Nikes, even though I've never been injured.  I don't think I'd have time to get used to running barefoot before September, but this is all I can think about now.

Have any of you ever heard anything about this?  It's really, really interesting.

--
Nikki

Nikki,

Yes, I have heard of it all and looked at it.

My advice - IGNORE IT ALL!

Put on your Nike's and run!  

Seriously, there is no one correct way to run.  There are world class runners that run forefoot, midfoot and that are heel strikers.  As you get more fit your body will natural adapt.  As you get faster your body will probably move to be more of a midfoot striker.   Chances are if you try to adopt to a strategy like you have outlined above you will get injured!

When I first started getting serious about running over a year ago I got one of these videos on forefoot striking because I was looking for a quicker way to get fast.  But, it didn't feel that natural and I ended up with more soreness and a tighter achiles.  How I got fast was focusing on higher cadence, relaxation, more miles and faster miles.  As weight came off I got faster too.

There are some common elements among great runners and that is high cadence, relaxed body, and low body weight.  So, just focus on that.

I would also go back to one of the earlier threads where I talked about what I would do if I were first starting to train someone in running.  I had some sort of chart and gradually progressed.  The best way to get better at running is to run a lot!  Seriously, you won't notice getting better only running say 10 miles a week.   I would say you need to get into the 20 - 30 mile range and you'll notice significant differences.

Sorry I am always long winded!!!!

Jesse

2009-06-17 9:04 AM

User image

Regular
My wife and I went to our LBS yesterday and got her measurements. She is going to start riding. I think she'll really love it - she just needs to find the time to ride and we need to find the time to ride together. Our youngest son is 2 years old - as soon as we put him into the schooling program he'll go for 3 hours in the morning. That will be a great break for my wife who deserves some "me" time.

This week I have been taking it easy on the intensity. Still putting in the same time but just allowing my body to recover a little. Up until yesterday I was still feeling it from my Sunday ride.

I am still trying to tweak my schedule and what I have found is that it is really difficult to have a set rigid schedule. The reason goes back this past Sunday as an example. I didn't think I would put in a good enough workout on Sunday that I would have to take multiple days off from hard training. So, that throws that entire week off. What I may play around with is a hard week followed by a recovery week. Or maybe a moderate intensity week + hard intensity week + recovery week. Where my recovery week doesn't change in volume but on in intensity. I dunno. A constantly tweak!

Jesse

Edited by jesse_d 2009-06-17 9:04 AM
2009-06-17 9:59 AM

New user

Montreal
Morning,

Thanks Jesse for great the feedback. I think it might be the ligament issue. It sounds like what I had. I had a banana about half hour before running maybe that did it. Who knows? I went for a run yesterday and felt ok, no pain. Thanks for the tip for the side stitch, I will definitely use next time.

That’s great that your wife is getting into biking, what about triathlons?

Do you have any races scheduled for this summer?

Cheryl
2009-06-17 10:54 AM
in reply to: #2223931

User image

Regular
cher - 2009-06-17 9:59 AM Morning, Thanks Jesse for great the feedback. I think it might be the ligament issue. It sounds like what I had. I had a banana about half hour before running maybe that did it. Who knows? I went for a run yesterday and felt ok, no pain. Thanks for the tip for the side stitch, I will definitely use next time. That’s great that your wife is getting into biking, what about triathlons? Do you have any races scheduled for this summer? Cheryl

As much as I would love to get my wife to do a triathlon I don't think it is happening anytime soon.  I keep on telling her what a great workout swimming is.   First step = biking.   Someday I'll introduce swimming to her.  Once that happens I MAY be able to convince her. 

I don't have any planned events for the summer.  I'll probably enter a sprint or OLY in late July to keep the competitve spirits up.  I think I'm going to do another HIM in September and then I have an OLY in October.  November and December will be devoted mostly to running as I gear up for January Marathon.

Jesse

2009-06-17 7:22 PM
in reply to: #2224175

User image

Orange Park, Fl

Yes I am still alive. Work has been crazy so I have not been able to post alot.  Running is going good working in hills on treadmill. Ran outside yesterday. What was I thinking in 100-105 heat index and a 5-10 mph head wind for 3.7 miles. I guess I need to get used to it if I am goin to train. I almost gave up on the tri. My right shoulder was bothering me every time I swam. I tried stretching and light weights. I also treid a pull bouy in swimming and it did nothing for me , but I used to think my balance was off, but with the bouy my balance stayed the same. I had some paddles from tyr. I used them today and my shoulder rarely bothered me. That kept me from giving up.

Jesse

Waht marathon in Jan. Is it the Disney. I am thinking abuot doing it. I am already signed up for the 26.2 with Donna breast cancer marathon. I might be going to Napa Valley in March and they have the Napa Valley marathon the week I woudl be out there. If I don't go I might do the Disney Marathon.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » jesse_d Mentor Group - Closed Rss Feed  

of 14